Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• packerjohnpackerjohn Member Posts: 10
    Had a call from the finance person at my dealership (bought a new Pilot a week ago). Said they
    Axe a mistake and didnt give us the $500 owner loyalty trade in cash and we needed to co
    In and sign new paperwork to reflect the new price. Never saw anything about this program on there boards or anywhere else
  • sasha12sasha12 Member Posts: 11
    Would like any pricing information anyone has on a 2011 Touring model in the pacific northwest region (Tacoma, Seattle, even Oregon).

Looking to buy soon and wanted to see what the latest was.

Thanks.
  • tmstewar2tmstewar2 Member Posts: 2
    Yes, that is correct. I got a great deal I believe. :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    The editor reviews from edmunds.com aren't exactly glowing. The Pilot got slaughtered in a recent (I think) Motor Trend 3 row SUV comparison. Despite all the recent bad press, I know I made a smart choice in making it the 3rd vehicle in our stable that already includes a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH (142,000 + miles) & a 2010 Acura TSX w/ Tech Pkg (35,000 + Miles).

On May 19, 2011 I purchased a 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation 4WD. We currently have over 2500 miles on our new Pilot and LOVE it.

Just from a functionality standpoint alone, the Pilot is a fantastic vehicle. There is tons of cargo space behind the 2nd row. The 2nd row slides & also reclines.

We have 2 boys under 5 and are expecting another baby this December. The Pilot has 3 sets of LATCHes across the 2nd row to accomodate 3 child safety seats. The 3rd row has a set of LATCHes also to accomodate a child safety seat. You can actually fit 2 adults in the 3rd row without apologizing. The seats fold 100% flat of you need them to.

I happen to like the handsome, rugged styling of the Pilot. I bought the EX w/ NAV because I like the wheels better than on the Touring.

Driving Impressions:

The pilot rides comfortably without being floaty. The seats are well bolstered and also very comfortable. The steering is typical Honda. It actually gives better feedback than our TSX (with electric power steering).

The 250 hp V6 engine is definitely adequate for the Pilot's size. It is far from overpowering, but nowhere near sluggish. I find it has no trouble keeping up a healthy highway pace of 75 to 80 mph.

The navigation, bluetooth pairing, & other technologies are simple and very intuitive to use. There is tons of storage. The dash plastics are hard, but I believe this is done on purpose (unlike the Mazda CX9 which is hard & cheap).

I do have a few nits to pick. I'd like HID headlights. The sunroof switch & dome light switch are in the wrong position. I wish the power hatch was available on the EX-L w/ NAV, not just the Touring.

Overall I'd seriously reccomend the Pilot to ANYBODY who's in the market for an SUV with 3 rows. It is a fantastic vehicle. It is a Honda so I know it will hold its value well & be as reliable as the sunrise.

I purchased a bunch of accessories at cheaphondaparts.com: All weather floor mats, rear all weather cargo mat, 2nd row seat cover.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• buck0086buck0086 Member Posts: 52
    I'm looking to purchase a 2011 Pilot EX-L very soon in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. I've requested quotes via internet and had a couple dealers look at my 2005 Pilot. I'm getting quotes at or just above invoice, but I've noticed that there is a $1000 dealer incentive and a $500 dealer incentive. One dealer mentioned a $500 loyalty discount. Do I tell the dealer that I want that $1500? I'd appreciate some guidance and direction as I feel that I'm not knowledgeable or experienced enough to know what a "fair" price is as well as to get that price. Thanks for the help.
  • packerjohnpackerjohn Member Posts: 10
    The financing cash and owner loyalty should be passed to the customer. We got out pilot at invoice less those incentives.
  • gocowboys13gocowboys13 Member Posts: 18
    Any info on recent prices paid and dealships info?

Thanks,
  • pitbull1980pitbull1980 Member Posts: 8
    Anyone experiencing any issues on inventory shortages for Honda Pilot EXL with Nav?
  • doglover4everdoglover4ever Member Posts: 19
    We are experiencing the same thing with our Honda Odyssey. We were going to buy a Pilot but decided on the van instead. It was supposed to be built last week but found out that production was pushed back so hoping it is being built this week. Hope to get it by the end of the month. When we were looking for 4x4 Pilot Touring in Blue it took almost a year to find one. Good luck.
  • lwilson429lwilson429 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased the 4WD Touring (only extras were floor mats and cargo tray) for $35,448 + TTL. I was able to take advantage of the 0.9% financing and at closing I received an additional $500 for my 2006 Pilot trade (Honda Loyalty Cash, I believe.) All-in-all, I feel like I got a pretty decent deal - for a girl. ;)

Oh, and the finance manager tried to sell me an extended warranty for the low, low price of $1,895 (thru Fidelity - which the dealer is part owner of) but I politely declined. When he asked why, I pulled out the Honda Care internet quotes I had received. He seemed a little surprised and even asked to make a copy of the price sheet. :D

This site is a great source of information. Thanks for the help!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    WOW! Congratulations on making a fantastic deal. You paid LESS for your Touring than I did for my EXL w/ NAV + you got the 0.9% financing! Enjoy your Pilot!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Phillies08Phillies08 Member Posts: 14
    what was the MSRP?

How much they give you for the trade? I have an 06 ex-l with navi.

What kind of quotes did u get on the warranty?

Sorry I just began my search.

Thx
  • plymouthmaplymouthma Member Posts: 5
    Paid $31,342.90 inc. destination, OTD price= 33,665.83 no NAV, RES.
    Also got 0.9% for 60months. At weymouth , MA honda on 7/5/10.
  • dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    I have a 2005 Pilot EX-L, good condition, 92K miles, purchased used, owe 9700. I have $2000 cash to put down but would prefer not to give that up if not needed.

Would like to lease a 2011 Pilot, EX-L or EX AWD, for $375/month or less.

Is this realistic? I am in the Boston area and credit is 700 - 750 depending on agency.

Thanks!
  • Phillies08Phillies08 Member Posts: 14
    which dealership did u buy from?
  • wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    I bought mine from Weyemouth Honda, $382 before taxes for EX-L 4WD
  • dfwpilotsearchdfwpilotsearch Member Posts: 5
    Civictory- glad to see you're enjoying your Pilot. I've been delayed two months, but am going to start the process this week. When you contacted all of the dealerships in DFW, did you just submit your request through each dealership's request form or did you email someone directly? I've noticed several of them don't even allow you to put the specific model of Pilot- just Honda Pilot. So I'm guessing that means they'll call me directly...oh well, guess that's part of the deal. Thanks again for your help, feedback and the information you've provided on the forum.
  • saluki02saluki02 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 2011 AWD Albaster Silver Touring. The closer I get to September, the better the deals. However, does anyone have any insight on if I may be limiting myself inventory wise? Put another way, sure I may get the best financial deal in September, but finding a Silver Pilot Touring AWD may be a challenge. Anyone have any experience or thoughts? I'm non-negotiable on the Silver and AWD.
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    Dfwpilotsearch - I actually used edmunds.com for my initial contact with dealers in the area. When you put in your zip code, the website will select five dealerships near you. To expand my options, I went through the process twice... once with my actual zip code, and once with a zip code from the other side of the metroplex. You can select the model and trim level that you want, so I assume that information is transmitted to the dealers. I also stated exactly what I was looking for (color, trim, etc.) in the "comments" section.

Be forewarned: Once you initiate this process, you will be bombarded with both email and phone calls. In my initial inquiry to dealerships, I clearly state that I do not want to be called. However, all but one or two dealerships ignore that request. I stick to it though and refuse to answer phone calls. I do all my negotiating via email. Once I've narrowed things down to a dealership or two, THEN I'll call them. This strategy has worked well for me and helps me maintain a little control in the negotiating process.

One of the most challenging aspects of the process for me is figuring out how to compare apples to apples. Each dealership's quote is a little different... Some include destination, some don't. Some include dealer add-ons, some don't. It takes a little back-and-forth with the dealers to get numbers that can actually be compared.
  • dfwpilotsearchdfwpilotsearch Member Posts: 5
    civictory- thanks for the helpful information. I'm not looking forward to the calls, which I'll now be expecting. Like you, I hope to do the initial negotiating by email. Thanks again!
  • houtigerhoutiger Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    So far, the best quote I have on a Pilot EX-L base, 2WD is $30,822, incl. destination + TTL.

Best price on EX-L w/ Navigation, 2WD is $32,609, incl. destination + TTL.

Received Honda Care quote from 6 yr/120k no deductible at $915 from Bernardi Honda in Rhode Island I believe.

Any thoughts on this pricing? This is the best of 4 offers received so far.

TIA
  • jbtexasjbtexas Member Posts: 1
    I was looking a couple of weeks ago and most offers for a 2011 Pilot EX-L 2WD in Houston area were in the high 31s which included $810 destination but not TTL. I did have one offer of 30,572 that required me to finance it through Honda and gave me credit for a $500 loyalty bonus. So it sounds like you have a good deal based on my experiences. What dealership made you the offer?
  • dulesdules Member Posts: 37
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Wallstreet. Weymouth made me the same offer over email, but wanted $500 deposit to find me a car at another dealership. I think I could have just said no and they'd probably have done it, but they're not that close to me, so I emailed my local dealer (Honda Cars of Boston, in Everett), with whom I'd been emailing about a test drive but not yet about pricing - they seem to prefer to work that way but I know people who've really liked them so I was willing to go in and talk - and asked them to match the offer.

They didn't reply over email but when I went in for a test drive they said they'd match it on in stock Pilots (they had at least 5 EX-L's to choose from, plus a few RES/NAVI that obviously would have cost more).

I pick up my new EX-L in dark gray metallic on Monday. Very happy. Thanks again Wallstreet for the tip! :)
  • houtigerhoutiger Member Posts: 2
    Russel Smith on the South Loop near the dome. Sterling McCall was 10 bucks higher, John Eagle close to a thousand higher. The pricing looks to be about 1,000 below invoice, so they must be sharing some of the dealer incentive. I will probably do a heavy downpay and finance the remaining to get the loyalty bonus at 500 bucks.
  • klrwlfklrwlf Member Posts: 1
    Don't be afraid to push them on price. I'm in Missouri, but just got a 2011 Pilot EX-L, Navi, 4WD, and talked them down to $33,400. Talked them up $1,400 extra on my trade in as well. Ended up financing $21k at 1.9% through Honda.

They want to move cars right now. The 2012s are coming soon.
  • gregy1300gregy1300 Member Posts: 4
    Hi
    The price, $33,400, you paid for the 2011 Pilot EX-L, Navi, 4WD does it include TTL
  • evincedevinced Member Posts: 2
    I have received many quotes in the Bay Area, the lowest I have is below. Should I jump on it?

Destination charge is included with selling price.

2011 HONDA PILOT 2WD EX-L w/Navi

PURCHASE OPTION
    Vehicle Price: $36,775.00
    Preferred Customer Discount: - $3,477.00
    Total Selling Price: $33,298.00

Tire/Battery/MVWEA: $8.75
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): $286.00
    Flat Add/County Fee: $20.00
    Electronic Filing: $29.00
    Smog Abatement Fee: $20.00
    Documentation Fee: $55.00

Any advise or comments much appreciated.
  • bankingdombankingdom Member Posts: 3
    2011 Honda pilot EX-L 4x4, no nav, no RES

$32,750 including destination + TTL
    Including autostart and engine block heater installed.

Should I wait for the 2012's to come out? How much cheaper do you think the 2011's will get?

Upper Midwest BTW.

I talked to wehmouth honda in MA and they offered $31,300 for ex-l with RES which is a crazy price, but it would probably cost $1000 to ship. Not worth the hassle.

Any other good dealers within driving distance of minneapolis.

Thanks!
  • lvp4lvp4 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2011 Honda Pilot 4WD EX-L w/ RES for $33,000 + TTL in SF Bay Area
  • lvp4lvp4 Member Posts: 2
    Actually it was $33,300 + TTL
  • davehondadavehonda Member Posts: 17
    I am getting a quote of 31,2xx in North East (including destination). Nothing extra. Is this a good deal? :(
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    edited July 2011
    Got a quote today on a 2011 Honda Pilot EX 2WD- $28450.00 not including taxes, tags. I'm test driving this weekend and if I love it, will purchase it. Is this a good price? Thanks!
    Hi,
    Could you please tell me when you get that price quote from wehmouht honad ma. It was on phone or by email, I am in negotiating with them but they flat out rejecting that they have ever quote this price. I really appreciate your help in saving some money. Thanks :D
    It was a special on their website and they also emailed me a price quote. I can send it to u if u want.
  • peteer01peteer01 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2011
    Got a quote for $30,457 from a dealer in the area, but it was just too far to justify the multiple trips out there. (Didn't have insurance, as I just came back to the US)

Went to a dealer right around the corner that had been very prompt, professional and informative in their e-mail exchange with me while I was still overseas, and had quoted me $30,599. He also told me that while I wanted to pay cash, I should finance at least some of the car through Honda to get the $1,250 incentive.

That put me at $29,349 for the new EX Pilot they had on the lot. With (IIRC) 7% tax, the total (+ TTL) price ended up being $31,654 and change, with 0.9% financing.

I know 0.9% financing is a good rate, but I still plan on paying the whole thing off in the first month unless someone has a compelling reason not to. :)
  • bizhousebizhouse Member Posts: 8
    I have seen 2 different MSRPs for the 2011 Pilot 4WD Touring MSRP: 41,175 and 41,480 Does anybody have any idea what accounts for this $305 difference?

Thanks!
  • bluetearbluetear Member Posts: 3
    i'm planning to buy a pilot, but don't know which model is good? and also..what's the different in 2011 and 2012.....the price.....I have read so much review on the dealer..they all try to rip all of us.....if anybody know a good dealer to go to in southern california, please let me know...especially the price....
    i got a quot for pilot 2011 exl...2wd...30800 not include tax....please let me know if this a good deal?? thanks......
    I really appreciate if you can send me the quote. Currently they are quoting price which is $2000 more...Thanks
    Peter01,
    Did you get this price for 2011 EXL 4WD? Then this is a great price...
    I know that $1250 is dealer cash back currently going on but how you managed to get it. I have been pre-approved for honda financing but don't know the rate yet. They asked me to contact the dealer to know the exact interest rate. Thanks
  • norcaljanenorcaljane Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2011 Pilot LX for 25, 809. Its great, I love my car. We found this price on truecar.com. A website that finds the lowest price paid in your area and provides you with the dealers who will sell at that price.
    Is that the price include the tax and fee?? there is a dealer give me 24500 but doesn't include the tax yet....^_^
  • auto33auto33 Member Posts: 5
    I don't think it's a reasonable price for $30,800. I was offered with the same trim but upgraded to 4WD for just $30,200 OTD.
  • rogueboloroguebolo Member Posts: 1
    2011 Honda Pilot 4WD EX-L w/ RES

in CT, working with quote now of $35,000 (not including TTL or fees). Also will get the additional $1250 off for financing with Honda America, which would take it to $33,750

Trying to get dealer down to $34,250 - does that sound reasonable from what you folks are seeing out there?
  • pip611pip611 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    I just picked up a Pilot EX-L 4W with Navi, remote start and 7yr/100K bumper to bumper warranty for $35,405, not including taxes or fees. That was the best deal I could find within 50 miles of Greenwich CT.
  • sully99sully99 Member Posts: 1
    I just heard from the guys at Bernardi Honda in Brockton. Apparently the dealership opened up very recently and they have many (30-40) 2011 Pilots they're trying to move.

They quoted me $32,545 for a 4WD EX-L with NAV. That doesn't include TTL.
    hi auto. Did you buy your car in southern california? im looking to buy one...but don't know which dealer is good..i also check online..they all have bad experience and good one 2....and also different price....it's hard with economic right now, so im trying to save as much as i can.....and i know dealer can really rip you off and put pressure on us to buy a car...if you have experince please..share..thank you....
    I also have a screen shot of their deal online but it might be futile since it clearly states deal ended July 31st.

Good luck!

BTW $33,300 is still awsome if it includes RES.

I paid $32,750 with out it, but got auto start included insted since I really don't need the RES.

I can fwd you the email if you message me your email addy. ">

2011 Honda
    Pilot 4WD EX-L
    with Automatic Transmission
    Click for more info

Suggested Retail Price: $36,680
    Weymouth Honda Price: $31,293

Our Pricing Breakdown

$31,292.90

Sale Price (including the $810 Destination Charge)

+$1,955.81

6.25% Sales Tax

+$239.00

Documentation Fee

+$125.00

Registration Fee

$33,612.71

Total "Out-The-Door" Price (No Hidden Charges)

Lease

36 Mo - 12k miles/year

$

/mo

Due at Signing:

First Month's Payment

$

Documentation Fee

$

Registration Fee

$

6.25% Tax

$

Total Due at Signing

$

Click here for more
    information on this lease

Finance

60 Months

$554

/mo

Down Payment

$0

Finance Rate

1.9%

Including 6.25% tax

$589

Click here for more
    information on this deal
  • buying_1st_suvbuying_1st_suv Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Is Honda 0.9%/1.9% APR practically not available to immigrants on visa other than greencard? Our really unpleasant experience at Dublin Honda suggests that it is not available any immigrant. The problem is that Honda requires you have a Visa term that is at least as long as the term of the loan: any Skilled worker on H1-B, or waiting for green card has visa for only less than three years.

And yes, our experience at Dublin Honda was really horrible: Still trying to figure out how it affected us negatively. Would appreciate any feedback.

a) So Dublin Honda did credit Check, made us sign all the documents, we contacted our insurance, and we were driving on our way home assuming we have bought the Honda pilot.

b) About 10 minutes on our way Dublin Honda calls us back. When we reach back: they ask about my wife's immigration status. We tell them we have EAD currently till next summer, and we can orextend it only in early January. The options they give us:
    1) Agree to loan with 0.9% APR with term of one year( ~ 3K USD monthly payment).
    2) Pay everything in Cash since we can afford it!
    3) Return the vehicle, as if there was no deal.
    There are three people from Honda in the room, and from their tone and options we choose 3).

We choose 3), and still trying to figure out how it may have negatively affected our Credit Score.

RP
  • buying_1st_suvbuying_1st_suv Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Someone at Edmunds please write an article about how to negotiate with the constraint of having a temporary visa: its a fact of life for some of us.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-1954530.html

Above link indicates that it may indeed be the case that Honda APR is not for immigrants with temporary visa: others have run into similar problem with Honda, and probably other Car dealers.

What should I have done?
    a) Get a pre approved loan (now sounds so obvious with hindsight).
    b) Ideally negotiate down the price of of Honda Pilot to make up for difference :-) The Honda Pilots are not selling in Bay area "from my previous one week experience"(its only based on one week experience so take it with a pinch of salt). There is a huge line of Honda Pilot in every dealer I visited, and some dealers are willing to give the quote of roughly (Edmunds invoice price + Destination Fee - 1250 Dealer Incentive) + TTL.
    RP
  • augie23augie23 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    Does anyone know what changes are proposed for the 2012 models and when they'll come out? Edmunds says that the 2012 models will have a "refresh", but the dealer I visited on Saturday said that no changes are planned. I'm assuming the financing incentive will only apply to the 2011 models, but I'm curious to know if any body style changes or new features will show up on the 2012 models, and whether it's worth waiting for. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.