Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rozenkristalrozenkristal Member Posts: 31
    jeffrey, if your OTD price is about 33100, you prob can negotiate down a little more since they offer that already. I think at most you can push down 300~400. Try it, else you can try again at end of month. if you can get OTD price around 32.5~32.6, that a great deal at this moment. I speaking from experience of reading 60+ pages on piloteers forum and more from edmunds.
  • jeffrey28jeffrey28 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for your advice. When you bought your vehicle, please share the dealer and salesman information.
    edited June 2013
    So I got OTD 32,600 with these accessories included:
    door edge guard, fender trim, cargo tray, pin strip, moon roof visor, cargo cover, floor mat.
    The initially 32,600 OTD offer came from Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge, but I used that price on Joyce Koons Honda in Manassas. Negotiation time: actual talk time with him is about 15 mins, and the other 15 mins he used to talk to his manager. He said he wanna do 32,839, but I decided to leave and got the offer I want. Good luck hunting folks. Sorry but I not picking up the car now so I can't really share the sale price but only OTD.

Edit: Sorry for confusion. In the silver I want had cargo cover, floor mat and visor but the seat somehow be exposed with the material inside, I mean bad fit and finish on the 2nd row seat. So we decided to get a gray, this one does not have the cover, floormat, and moonroof visor. Cant get it add in for free.
    We backed off from the deal. Here the story why:
    The first saleman we met in the morning was nice. We left after not agree on the price, then he told me he agree with my price and the vehicle. Then I come back in the evening to seal the deal, but my saleman went home. The second sale man comes out and we ask to see the vehicle. The car came out, we checked and found the body damage that we didnt see in the morning. Pft, we ask to switch for another car. He brought out the second car, SAME SPECS, SAME EVERYTHING, without the damage of course. Then the second saleman told me, alright, the first guy agree with you guys the price of $32,600 but the one I just brought out can't give the accessories for free, so he bumped the price up $700, now it $33,300. I was like wat the fuk, same specs and every dam thing, and he bumped up the price? I figured he want some $$ cuz he doesn't wanna work for free. Cool, I walked away while he said he could get the car fix. I was like, no, it not my fault that the car got damage, I dont buy a new car and it has to go into the shop first before I can drive it off the lot. Screw him. So, if you want to deal with Joyce Koons Honda of Manassas, be cautious. For now I will stop looking for the Pilot.
    However, the first sale man I deal with was a pleasant to do business with. If you guys want his name, please reply to my post and share the email. If you could be firm, he would ready to lower the price :)
  • jenniferhtjenniferht Member Posts: 4
    What is the best price I can expect for an EX-L right now? I've got a quote at 32.5 OTD, but I'm wondering if I can get lower based on other posts. What would you say a EX-L with RES should add to that price? I'm seeing a $1600 increase but that seems like a lot for a DVD player IMO.
    edited June 2013
    You can try around end of month, it would be easier to deal. DVD... I rather put that money into an ipad...

Ipad is about 400? with this:
    link title">link title
    Do you think that's a fair price for the EX-L? Or should I be pushing it lower? The pre-tax/ttl was $30.2K.

I'm leaning towards skipping the DVD. We already have alternatives - IPad, touch, etc.
    After dealing with about 10 different dealers recently, I figure that the sale price is kinda useless. They will add this and that in and somehow reach about the same price on average. So, the way I look at is checking reported priced on edmunds and piloteers, and I found that the majority paid 33,5K+ one or 2 accessories. I got load stuffs of accessories with OTD 32,6K. Mind I ask what accessories included in your OTD price? How about the price of 32.5K u telling me, is it an internet quote from the dealer, or that is ur negotiated price so far? To be honest, 32.5K is an awesome deal already if you get to keep floormat, cargo cover, fender trim, or door edge, stuffs like that. I agree on skipping the DVD. U should realize that we are turning into digital data and DVD prob get obsolete soon, so, an iPad is better.
    edited June 2013
    One of our local dealers already has multiple EX-Ls listed on autotrader for $30.2K ($32.4 OTD) so I was able to get a different dealer to beat the price. I send a bunch of local dealers emails to see what they'd offer to meet/beat - most said they'd match but a few said they'd try to beat it. I ended up getting it for $29,950 ($31.9 OTD). I didn't try to negotiate on accessories, but it has regular floormats, pinstripe, door edge, and I think it has the cargo cover (I didn't even bother to look b/c I don't need it).
    Then I believed you got a steal :D Congratz on the new ride. Yep, that is one excellent price Jennifer.
  • yxz8yxz8 Member Posts: 2
    Is this a 4WD EX-L or 2WD?
    It's a 2WD
    I got a 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L with all weather package for an OTD of $32,350. I live in Ohio. I used your number to negotiate the price. No dealer in Ohio wanted to beat that price. My dealer was very easy to work with. All negotiation was through email. Rozenkristal, thank you. If you live in Ohio, i highly recommend my dealer and saleman!
    Yes. I got a 4WD EX-L for an OTD price of $32350. All weather package is included.
    edited June 2013
    I got an amazing price. OTD price for $32350, all weather package included. It only has 6 miles on the meter. If you live in Ohio, i recommend you to buy from the same dealer and saleman. Friendly and honest. Whole process took 5 emails and 1 h to do the paperwork. I m very happy.
  • bppbpp Member Posts: 3
    I am also looking for a EXL - 4WD. What was your price before tax? Would you be able to share the name of the dealer you dealt with?
    Based on my calculation it should be $29957.5. The most important number is the OTD price. That is the price you pay. My salesman promised me he would beat any deal you get by at least $250. You can get the same price elsewhere, and bring this deal to him. Ask him to honor that price. I bought from performance honda. My saleman is andrew gomez. Tell him i told you his promise ($250), ask him to honor that. Send an email to me privately (yusen.liu2011@gmail.com). I will give you the details. I think you could get a deal better than mine.
    Yep, pricing OTD is most important. What you have to do is research to find a low price that people COULD pay. That mean readings those forums and stuffs. Sale price could always be jacked up by the dealers and they would average about the same. Congratz on your new ride haha, I going to try again with a different dealer this time :)
    Yes. Also mind of the numbers they do the calculation. Bring a calculator with you when you sign all the papers. Make sure that was what they put into their calculation. If you want to add options, negotiate with the salesman as a package. The OTD price is the most important. Spread a larger area in the state. In other words, get quotes from all cities in the state you live. Always ask for OTD price. Ask them to give you the OTD price in writing. When you get a lower price from one dealer, you bring it to the previous dealer to ask them to beat the price. If the dealer does, you bring it back to the dealer to negotiate with the earlier dealer to ask them to beat the price. You can also send more quote request to dealers in the area where the cheapest dealer is located. Say up-front, if I have a deal in another dealer, will you beat the price? by how much? You drive down the price until no dealer is willing to accept. Then you know you got a great deal. The key, spread wide of the net. Use internet, email. Do not call. Do not negotiate in person. Be patient. Give the negotiation a week of time.
  • deepakbdeepakb Member Posts: 2
    Honda Pilot EXL 2WD bought at Dallas, TX

Selling Price: 30145.39
    State Sales Tax: 1896.90
    Dealer inventory tax: 55.03
    Dealer Documentary Fee: 122.50
    Vehicle Inspection Fee: 23.75
    License/ Title Fee: 85.75
    Road and Bridge Deputy Fee: 11:50
    Buyer Tag Fee: 5.00

Subtotal: 32345.82
    Finance from outside @1.99%. Was declined finance through Honda Financial (lost $700+ which was an additional discount offered by dealer) :(

You might not get the roof rails at this low price (so please reduce $205 )
  • lboogie126lboogie126 Member Posts: 2
    Danville Honda in southern Virginia. I had a great experience there. No BS, just a good deal.
  • awfpackawfpack Member Posts: 13
    I am in NC... The best quote I could get was about $36,000. In NC we pay 3% sales tax.
    Thanks
    As today went on, some went down to $33,000 otd
    Sound great. Just to tell you the price I and the other guy got is somewhat a miracle. 33K is not bad, is that after negotiation or just quote? If that is a quote from dealer, then I believe u can push down a few hundreds. Good luck.
    Everything I have done so far is via email.... I have not talked to anyone on the phone yet. How did you push them down lower... Any advice would be great.
    Thanks
    There are a few ways. I tried to walk in and low balling them a little, as they quote you OTD 33K. Try to low ball them, if you could reach 32.6K OTD, that great. I believe that price is pretty solid. But you should be ready to walk. In my case, the dealer I wanted to work with quote 33.5K, I brought in a quote from another saying 32.6K. They try to get it 32.839, but I walked away and 45 minutes later, the saleman called me and said he misunderstood his manager and agree with 32.6K. Good luck.
  • tjolkotjolko Member Posts: 13
    Not sure where in NC you live (I live in Charlotte), but I recently bought an Accord from Pohanka Honda in Fredricksburg saving thousands over local dealers. No tricks, hassles or unwanted accessories....a very quick and easy deal. Go to their website and ask for an internet quote. We made a road trip out of the purchase and even picked up the car on a Sunday. You may also want to get a quote from other N. Virginia Honda dealers like Tyson Corner Honda as they were very competitive as well. Good luck!
    What was in the all weather package?
    Can you give me a break down on what each part of your bill was?
    What options were on it.
    Thanks
    I didnt negotiate on sale price, but the OTD price only, the items on the car were:
    moonroof visor, fender trim, door guard, splash guard, cargo cover, floormat. ALL for 32,600
  • jpphunjpphun Member Posts: 1
    so i bought a new exl, paid more than listed here, but i wanted v6 with 8 seater. within the first 100 miles, i was loading cd into the library, it worked really slick, but after disc 8 it stopped ejecting and then refused to play them. brand new car and cd technology failed. any tips on what i should expect/request from the dealer. the service shop did not even car how new it was, they were very happy with order a new one and install it in the future and waste more of my time.
  • frenchman1frenchman1 Member Posts: 3
    WAS GIVEN PRICE OF 32,500. DOES NOT INCLUDE TAX TITLE LICENSE. CAN I DO BETTER??
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking. If you're seeking compensation for your time/frustration, I'd suggest asking for discounted (or free) oil changes or accessories. The most they can do is say no; but chances are, they'll do something for you. Just be reasonable in what you ask for.
  • civictorycivictory Member Posts: 73
    Those of you discussing OTD prices... Once you've made a purchase, it's helpful to the rest of us if you will post the breakdown of your purchase. OTD is only relevant to the specific market (area) you're in. Thanks!
    Ask for 32,600 OTD, see if they can do anything better. It almost end of month too.
    Wish I could but I did not buy the car since my old van still working as it turn out the oil in the tranny was leaked, not a tranny problem. But I can say the sale price I got was in the 29,800 area, and 3% tax in VA, + 850 freight, and some doc fees.
  • geah70geah70 Member Posts: 14
    I have been waiting to post my purchase until I finally picked up the Pilot today.

2013 Honda Pilot EXL 4WD.

price 32,250.00
    tax 2,781.56
    Inspection 10.00
    Document Fee 75.00
    NYS Tire Recycling 12.50
    finance rebate (750.00)
    plates and registration transfer + renew 293.50

total 34,672.56

Basically the base price was $31,500 (32,250 - 750). The big chunk was the NY tax 8.625%. We also could have saved some money if we just got new plates instead of the renewal and transfer but we like the white NYS plates (instead of the yellow ones). I removed all the extras that I added to the Pilot (extended warranty, side steps, remote start). I also eliminated my trade-in allowance (which was negotiated after the price of the new car was settled) so everyone can see the "base" costs.

I thought I got a really good price. There was no surprises and the dealership and salesman were excellent. I used TrueCar and CarWoo. Talked to a bunch of salesmen that I was NOT fond off. However, I would highly recommend John from Nardy Honda in St James, NY.
  • localpcguylocalpcguy Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for posting the whole calculation of your purchase. I want you to know that I appreciate it. There are some people that post their simple purchase price here with no mention of what Pilot model they purchase. I could figure it out, just takes some work. But your post is clear and easy to ready, thanks again.
  • uzuuzu Member Posts: 2
    Is 36,697 (inc 830 destinations fee) a good price for a 2013 pilot 4wd touring? This is in Baltimore MD. They also want to add 495 for lifetime oil changes, car washes, and 6yr /100kdrive train warranty this is a local dealership deal.
    You're welcome localpcguy.

I'm just trying to help others out as I have been helped. If it wasn't clear in my post, I took the 0.9% financing from Honda.

My complete OTD pricing may seem much more than the other people that have posted before but you have to take into account that my sales tax may possibly be much more. You can easily take out an additional $2k if your tax rate is under 3%. Take also into consideration that my transaction has been completed and is not an "empty" promise by a dealer to get you into the door. There was no trickery nor any surprises in my deal.

As a clarification, the sales people that was not "fond of" was not from Nardy but others on Long Island. They were high pressure and were too quick to make promises that seemed to good to be true "Yeah..we beat their prices...just come down and we will talk about it".

It took a lot of research and emails but in the end I was happy. Good luck with your purchase!
    Hi Uzu

I don't know much on the Touring as I focused my research on the EXL. But here is some information on pricing. https://carwoo.com/new-car-prices/2013-honda-pilot/baltimore-md

As far as the official Honda Care extended warranty, the cheapest I found was at http://hyannishondacare.com/. You don't need to get Honda Care from the dealer that you are purchasing the SUV. However, my dealer matched Hyannis's pricing as soon as I provided them the Hyannis quote.

You mentioned oil changes and car washes so it may not be the official Honda Care package.

Good luck...
  • uzuuzu Member Posts: 2
    Thanks geah70

The link you gave helps for pricing and the link to Honda care EW helps they wanted 2350 for 6yr /120k your link is half that.

The 495 was not a Honda care warranty. Its free oil changes, car wash and the extended warrany is only for power train. I think @ 50 dollars for a oil change over 5 years would pay for the 495.
    Good luck uzu!

It might not need to be said but unless they are including it free, don't buy the accessories from Honda. Floor mats, cargo liners can be easily purchase for 1/2 the price at online stores (Amazon).

I just purchased the HexoMat floor mats. I liked that it can hold a lot of liquid (rain, mud, soda) so it doesn't get on the carpet.
  • newbie38newbie38 Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2013
    Hi all. newbie here and want to know if im getting a good deal. Looking at a AWD EXL with Navigation and have few questions:

-As i understand it through edmunds dealer incentive, the Pilot is offering $800 cash cash and $700 bonus cash if financing through honda. The dealer told me only the $800 is available and $500 in bonus. Is this accurate?

-if i am trading in a lease with 1 month of payment left, how much can i negotiate in terms of discount if they offer to pay my remaining lease? Can i ask them to knock down another 1 - 1.5K. my monthly payment is 600 on current lease.

-was quoted 34.4K for this car (including 800 dealer cash and 500 bonus cash). What do you guys think? MSRP 39,450
    ">Thanks in advance.
    Since the financing incentive is for the dealer, it is up to the dealer to give you what they want. Depends on how you negotiate. In addition to the incentives, dealers also get 2% holdback which they can dip into to give to you.

According to carwoo and truecar, you in a good range. Consumer reports says the "rock bottom" price for that model is $34,558 but that doesn't include the financing incentive. With that incentive you can get to $33,858. Given that they are going to pay for 1 month of your current lease ($600), I don't think you will get much more (and expect to a have an easy transaction). That's 1,300 below "rock bottom".

It's a balance....if you push too hard, you might be "forcing" them to lie to you and make up the money some other way ("bank fee", switching cars when you pick up). There are some horrific post in this forum.

Personally, I was able to go $1,200 below the "rock bottom" price and have an easy transaction (I already have my car).

Good luck.
  • newbie38newbie38 Member Posts: 15
    Thank you very very much. Looks like im gonna be part of the PILOT club soon.
    good luck...to be honest I still don't understand how they can afford to sell below their true dealer's cost ("rock bottom"). They must get another type of incentive that the public doesn't know about...I guess they need to make money as well.
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    Waiting to speak with real person tomorrow but they are advertising $36,642 + tax & tags. Sound like a good price?
  • prprt33prprt33 Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at buying the same vehicle and they are quoting $38,400 here in Phoenix. I'm thinking $34-35,000 + tax and tags is probably about the right price. Any feedback would be great.
  • mghondamghonda Member Posts: 3
    Base Price - 32920 (includes roof rails, cross bars, and premium chrome running boards)
    Destination - 830
    Trade In - (-1402)
    Tax - 2264.36
    Doc - 299.00
    Title - 108.80
    Tire - 7.50

Total= 35027.66
    Flex Cash= -750

Total OTD = 34277.66

No hassle. No hard sell. Went in with a low number after researching and they beat it.
    Essentially $35766 without the trade.

Dealt with Meghan at Autosport in Bridgewater.
    She was great!
    In an out total time 3 hours.