Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Pilot Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 4eman4eman Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the East Bay, northern California and I looked at a 2006 Honda Pilot 2WD EX-LN. I was told by the internet salesperson that the "marketing incentive" only applies to purchases, NOT leases....I am looking at leasing and was wondering if anyone knows if this statement was correct or if there was indeed a 3% holdback that was available?
  • guru1020guru1020 Member Posts: 6
    So far the best price I have received is for $32,222 "out the door". Another dealership quoted me $29,950 +TT $550 dest charge, $99 Processing fee +options which made it $400 higher "out the door". Any suggestions on where to go for the best price in Maryland or should I take this deal quickly?
  • mrgiellamrgiella Member Posts: 52
    I am in the middle of a deal this week for a EX-L AWD with Navi in Metallic Green in NJ. Negotiated price is $31,997 with a montly of $329 and $4598 TOTAL out of pocket (includes everything). Sounds like a lot up front, but I wanted to keep my monthly down. The residual is 53%. Any suggestions of how I can better this deal?
  • highlander123highlander123 Member Posts: 29
    You definitely need to try Hagerstown Honda. They are pretty good dealer and have the best price in this area. Good luck.
  • novaexl2wdhuntnovaexl2wdhunt Member Posts: 7
    Looking for suggestions of add-ons (service, dealer installed options) to negotiate beyond the out the door price of 2WD EX-L that I'm working via Internet. I'm currently $400-500 below invoice in DC/Northern Virginia ($28,800 + tax, tags) and hoping to push that a bit lower, but am looking for one more bit of the purchase/ownership dynamic that I can play. Appreciate any suggestions and experiences from the group.
  • goingoncetwicegoingoncetwice Member Posts: 13
    Hi! I am similarly situated geographically and am interested in teh same car. I just started looking and wondered if you could share your quotes or dealership recommendation? Thanks!
    My offer of $31,000 (plus tax, license) was accepted by Winter Honda in Pittsburg. I'm looking at the 2WD EX with leather, navigation, upgraded day/night auto dimming rear view mirror, back mud flaps, & wheel locks. This is about $500 below dealers' invoice best as I can tell. Plus, I am going to be leasing for 36 months (15000 miles/year) on their Super-Preferred leasing rate (.00048 money factor), with no money down which puts my monthly payment at around $400 per month inc. sales tax...........
  • mrtumkurmrtumkur Member Posts: 6
    I am planning to buy Pilot in next 1 to 2 months. I am bad at negotiating when I am face to face with Sales person. Need your inputs for the following.

Region: Raleigh, NC
    Trim level: Pilot 2WD EX-L
    Invoice: $28,652 (edmunds)

1. What might be the best sale price nationally? If you received quote from local dealors, please post it as well.
    2. Any accessories you think are required?
    3. Best bank/Union rate (%)? Honda rate (%)

Any additional input will be helpful.
    Thanks
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    I wouldnt look for a best price nationally. I would look in to the prices paid in your general area. Do not listen to quotes from CA if you are in NC.

Rates are all based on credit tiers. I would apply to see your rates through banks/credit unions and Honda to see what would be your best option. Typically, Honda is the lowest.

As far as accessories, I would atleast have the all weather mats and rear splash guard. These may or may not be already installed.

Good luck!
  • pilot4me1pilot4me1 Member Posts: 6
    I am shopping for the same here in Raleigh area.... this is what I have so far:
    (Internet Quotes):
    AutoPark Honda - cary - $28202 (for a lease - 29202)
    Crown Honda - Southpoint - $29617
    Leith Honda $28817
    Still waiting for the "lease" prices of the bottom 2...

From what I can tell should be able to get below delaer invoice according to this forum, though I am not sure why a lease price would be higher than a purchase price - something about the $1000 incentive I suppose....
  • vlipgyorevlipgyore Member Posts: 9
    Just leased a 2006 EX-L for 36months/12K, $2075 Cap reduction on $28,883 negotiated price for a payment (including tax) of $324.75/month. Problem is I have excellent credit (818 FICO)and should be top tier but my money factor was .0022 - did they screw me on percentage rate?? I've been seeing some low MF rates on these boards and I'm hoping I didn't screw up. Too late now I guess but I'd like to know for peace of mind. I live in Southern California.
    I believe the money factor is .00022 (that is what I was charged based on a new leasing chart..it would have been .00012 if I put down a security deposit of $300, which I did not. I paid no cap reduction for a 36months/15K miles, but the new residual based on the new rate sheet is now at 49%. Therefore, my original estimated lease payment was incorrect....it is actually $451.88/mo. (including tax), and I was informed by the salesperson that I got the Pilot at $300 under invoice. I feel that I got a good deal.....
    thebill Thank You.
    pilot4me1

Nice to know that you are in Raleigh. Your quotes exclude destination and TTL right? I am planning to go for test drive in next 2-3 weeks.
    Thanks
    no, those rates include destination.... but not tax, doc or reg fees....
    Thanks for the response 4eman, looking at our deals they seem to be pretty similar taking all the variables into account. My payment is $125 lower but I cap reduced by $2000 and only have 12K/year with a higher residual (lowers payment slightly). So I assume we have the same percentage rate . I appreciate you taking the time to clarify for me!
  • pistonhondapistonhonda Member Posts: 13
    Do you guys know how long this marketing incentive will last?
  • djbeardjbear Member Posts: 4
    The 3% holdback and the $1000 marketing incentive are not the same. The incentive that was announced on 3/18 is above and beyond the holdback. My dealer passed the entire incentive (dealer cash)along to me to close the deal. Not sure how long it will last.
    Thanks for the reply....I was told that the marketing incentive was only for purchases NOT for leases.....I ended up leasing...........
    One of the dealers I'm e-mailing with in Northern Virginia just came down to $1600 under invoice (plus $279 processing) for EX-L 2WD (no navi, no RES), $600 lower than he had been. Didn't cite marketing money, but clearly in play. Am told the deal is good throguh 3/26, but no indication how long the promo will run. Out the door now looks about $28,800 (includes $900 tax + $68 for tags/title). Figure there's one last check-in with the other two dealers in the hunt then I'll pull the trigger this weekend. My initial replies were in the $31k range for out the door six days ago, so keep at it!

A dealer I talked with today had been out of office for two days and was unaware of new money until I mentioned it to her on the phone. She confirmed it and dropped offer by $1000 on the spot.
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Hello,

I am interested in the AWD EX Pilot. I have posted here before and I read the thread quite often. Prior to the Dealer incentive of $1,000 - somebody paid $27,7XX for an EX AWD. Has anyone bought this vehicle lately. If so, what price. The Holdback on this vehicle is about $900+ and with the incentive, I think the invoice with destination is about $26,277, or so. Do you know think I can get if for $26,500 or $26,700 plus TTL?

Thanks gang.
  • pistonhondapistonhonda Member Posts: 13
    Hmmm...03/26 is so near but I don't want to rush things. Our finances were just tidied up this week so it'll take time to reflect. No, we have no bad marks on credit. Its just that we got our finances together and lowered everything to low debt, approximately 20% of balances for all cards and paid off loans too. So we're in the green now just waiting for it to show.
    If that marketing incentive is going after the month and I'll have to wait for the clearances to start during summer and late summer than so be it.Don't want to be paying too much now with incentives on high rates as compared to the cost savings of the lower rates we'll be getting even if the incentives are gone.
    But anyways, hope this marketing incentive just hangs in there for a little more time.
    Thanks guys for the replies...
    Decided to go with the dealer closest to my home and got the Redrock Pearl EX-L AWD with Navi for $31998 "out the door". Not bad when compared to MSRP/Invoice prices. I'm pleased with the deal.
  • djbeardjbear Member Posts: 4
    I would like to know if anyone has received an exceptional quote for the 8YR/100k/$0 Honda Care EW. Please share if you were able to negotiate a good deal on this package or something similar. I have not been able to find anything lower than $1230 for an '06 Pilot.
    Just brought it home after six evenings of trading e-mails with six Washington DC area dealers (and finally used the phone this a.m.). Winner is Bill Page Honda in Falls Church. Started $1700 under invoice at $27501 to beat a $1600 under invoice offer; add $299 processing; tax, tags, title at $937; comp'd the wheel locks, mud flaps, and a small cargo net; total out the door was $28738. Good buying experience, easy going process, an odometer that read 3, and bonus of lifetime engine/powertrain warranty (only dealer in DC area to offer it). Definitely recommend them.

Other contenders: College Park Honda came in about $60 less ($27680 or so), but is on other side of Beltway from home. Arlington Honda drew the line at $29k. Fairfax Honda was at $28,981, but wouldn't have Sage Brush Pearl for 10-12 days. Koons of Manassas was competitive early, but never replied to my "looking for best and final" query. Had tested one at Honda of Tysons the previous weekend, but never did get a price from them. Found service/product knowledge inadequate on the front end, they gave me a tester with the low fuel light on, and they never returned my call when I was looking for a price.

Overall, enjoyed the Internet haggle experience and feeling very good about my price. Keep at it, fellow Pilot seekers.
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Anybody know if the current $1000 dealer marketing incentive is available with the Leadership Purchase Plan?
    Hi Car_man and others! First, thanks for all the insight on this forum. It is much appreciated.

Here is the deal I'm thinking of signing off on.

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD
    36 months
    12K miles
    MSRP: $32,395
    Negotiated price: $28,247
    No money down
    No security deposit
    Capital Cost: $28,842 (price + $505 acquisition fee)
    Money factor: .00022
    Residual: $16,845 (52%)
    Monthly payment incl tax: $373.33
    Drive-off: $678.02 (includes tax, license, first month)

Please let me know what you think of these numbers and if I should hunt around for a better deal.
    The price you have listed is about half of the quote I was given when I just leased the EX-L with navigation.......
  • fm2504fm2504 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just took delivery of a New Pilot EX-L 4WD with Leather. They added the Mud Flaps, and Wheel locks for a total of $29,465 (includes dest charges). The sales tax was extra. In addition, we purchased the Honda Care Warranty 8 year / 120,000 mile / zero ded warranty for an additional $1,231. This by far was the best deal on a vehicle we made and my wife is thrilled with the vehicle. She picked the Blue Steel color. Vehicle was purchased at Lehigh Valley Honda in Pennsylvania. They were extremely pleasant to deal with.
    Hello,

I just received an Internet Quote on this vehicle for $26,649 plus tax, license, and documentation fee. Should I jump on it? I am also interested in the EX-L AWD.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    I am finding prices vary wildly in Washington, DC also. Some dealers are telling me the prices people are quoting on Edmunds.com are far-fetched. Some dealers will match the prices so I know which dealers are not being truthful. The same is true with the Accord. I may just buy an Accord from one dealer and a Pilot from another at this rate.

Are you happy with your purchase from Bill Page and how long did it take to negotiate with them? Did you get all options? How much did they quote for the 4WD model (if you asked)?
    Looks like a good deal (very comparable to what I got here in So. California) one question though, does your negotiated price include destination charge? Seems like you may have forgotten to add it in.
    Also, acquisition fee should be $595, no?

2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD
    36 months
    12K miles
    MSRP: $32,395
    Negotiated price: $28833 (includes $550 dest. charge)
    Cap reduction: $2075
    No security deposit
    Capital cost: $29428 (price + $595 acquisition fee)
    Money factor:.00022
    Residual: $16845 (52%)
    Monthly Payment: $324.75

I had them throw in crossbars and lifetime oil changes(every 5K miles) as well. I'm happy with deal and my wife loves the car. Good luck!
    Hi vlipgyore!

You are right on the money. The acquisition fee is $595 (sorry about the typo)

The negotiated price of $28,247 includes destination.

I'm also not paying any cap reduction.

What was your total driveoff costs on day of purchase? Sounds like you got a lower monthly by reducing cap and paying security deposit.

Thanks and happy Piloting!
    Got a quote for $26,649 plus tax, license, and $45 doc fee. Should I take the plunge, or wait a bit more?
    Take the plunge tinatina - that's a good deal! Or you can gamble with year end model clearance and possibly get a better deal on whatever is left in the lot.
    Thanks for the advice. I agree. Do you own this vehicle? I tested the 2005 model, and I almost bought it last year.
  • rsfrsf Member Posts: 15
    Would like to hear about buying experiences in South West Florida (Tampa/St. Pete area) and what dealership is easiest/best to deal with.
    Thanks!
  • highlander123highlander123 Member Posts: 29
    I just came back from a dealer and placed an order on EX-L 2WD. The base price is 26752, which is $1,900 under invoice, plus freight (550) is $27302. Total out the door price is $29018.05 (include doc fee 99, TTL). The car will be in the dealer lot on Monday and I will test drive it first then sign all the paper works. The buying process is very smooth. The salesman just gave me the price up-front. I am in the MD area. I test drove the car with my wife and both of us were very satisfied with it. It is a wonderful SUV. No vibration at 70 -80MPH, and I will test drive the one I will buy. The VCM works silently and you will see a "ECO" light on in the instrumental panel when it is engaged automatically. We couldn't feel it was running on 3 cylinder and switch back and forth. Hopefully this will improve some mileage.
    Hi goingonce,

I believe you did real good on your Pilot lease.

You beat my deal by almost $600 and I worked the salesmen, Orange County may be more competitive than your neck of the woods, who knows!

I paid no security and my total drive-off was $2868 which included a $2075 cap reduction so $793 in T/L & 1st months payment.

Some posters here state you should never Cap reduce, I've never been clear on why that is, the lower monthly would seem to make it a wash in the long run.

Best of luck with your Pilot & thanks for the input!
  • puppup Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased a 2006 2WD with RES for $29,041 (price included destination and ends up being about $1600 under invoice). According to the dealer, the $1000 incentive is given to the dealer if they meet a certain sales goal for the Pilots for the month of March. If you have a dealer that hasn't met the goal yet, they most likely won't be willing to give up the extra $1000.
  • ncpilotncpilot Member Posts: 1
    Oops, didn't see the part about not posting names of salespeople.

This week we purchased a Silver EX-L 4WD for 28,800 from Leith Honda in Raleigh, NC. Plus $398 doc fee, tax, title, and license, it was $30,136 out the door. A pleasant buying experience...I got several internet quotes from other area dealers (even went back to the first one with a lower quote and they lowered their price), and took the lowest I could find to Leith and they matched it. I told them up front I didn't want to haggle, if they would give me that price I would sign a PO and bring a check the next day. Also told them I wasn't interested in an extended warranty or financing and they did not try to sell me on that at all.
    Did all my haggling my e-mail, and Bill Page was a late entrant in the game (see earlier post). I ended up talking by phone with the internet manager once I got to my "last shot" price checks, and he said he's go $100 under Fairfax for invoice. When all said and done, it was about $250 lower. With purchase price agreed upon, purchase/pick up was a laid back 60-90 minutes (even took their shuttle from East Falls Church Metro). Demo of vehicle features, test drive, paperwork to see if Honda finance could beat my credit union (came close, but didn't beat it), sit down with the leather treatment/paint protector upseller (thanks, but no), visit with manager to close out paperwork and decline extended warranty purchase. Even let me pull the car into the service bay to get a look at it under the lights for marks/leather flaws, then away we go.

Happy experience for me, although appalled by a dealer-added window sticker on the car I took home. With Market Adjustment of $1995, Wheel Locks at $199, Mud Guards at $199, and Regional Advertising at $150 all on top of $32395 MSRP, it totalled at $34953 -- more than 6k above my on the road price.

Never checked on AWD. It's EX-L with wheel locks, mud guards, and a simple cargo net thrown in, but no RES, NAV, or other add-ons. Love it, so far.
  • thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    They quoted 1900 under invoice ON A LOCATE up front with no negotiation????????

Hmm...
  • snowcrash1snowcrash1 Member Posts: 11
    I'm in process of buying this car, what would be the best price for this car? Bill Page quoted for $32,207 plus taxes, title, freight, wheel locks and fees.
    I picked one up this weekend for $31998 "out the door" at Northwest Honda in Owings Mills. I would check with Sport Honda in Laurel which is much closer to you.
  • bobgubobgu Member Posts: 1
    guru, you say you bought a 4wd Navi for $31998 'out the door'. 'Out the door' usually means it includes taxes, freight, license, processing fees, etc. Could you please verify this. Thanks.
    Does anyone know if the $1000 dealer incentive available for purchases (but not for leases) is available with the Leadership Purchase Plan?
    Final Price was $31998 including tax, tags, processing fees, etc... including mud flaps, cargo net, and wheel locks. I decided to get the extended warranty from another dealership. I was told by the dealer that there was only a $40 net profit on the deal. Odonnell Honda had offered it to me for $32,222 out the door. I am tracking this forum so feel free to ask if you have any more questions about the deal. Oh, I believe Sport Honda is actually in Annapolis, not Laurel. Best of Luck!
  • snowcrash1snowcrash1 Member Posts: 11
    i have to say that is one hell of deal!
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    The argument against paying a cap reduction is that if the vehicle is totalled, you don't get that money back. So if you total the vehicle early in the lease you can be out a significant sum.