Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram

Comments

• gashoggashog Member Posts: 10
    When I posted info about A/C switch I was laughing so hard I forgot to cry about the A/C in my 99 Ram 1500 QC 4X4. About two weeks ago the A/C just quit making cold air in any switch position. The fan was pumping out plenty of breeze but I had to use the backup 260 air condition system that most vehicles are equipped with.
    After sitting quietly in the driveway overnight, the A/C worked fine. Later on, it quit again for several hours but came back on line while I was driving in town. I looked at the compressor and it is engaging and disengaging like it should.
    I took it to the dealer yesterday and they kept it overnight. Still trying to make the problem show up for the tech. I suppose.
    Anyone had A/C problems like this?
    I miss my truck.
    Gashog
  • daveorozcodaveorozco Member Posts: 8
    kcram,

Actually, my '96 A/C controls make some sense to me ... only the positions colored blue are "A/C on." Maybe I am just "conditioned" to that color scheme ...

(patiently waiting for the 6-speeds ...)
  • drafthorsedrafthorse Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a new 4X4 ram truck W/5.9 cummins , 6-speed manual trans., trailer tow pkg., sure grip axle & camper special group. These options I are a given.
    There are some other choices that I would appreciate some input on.
    I will be using the truck mainly when pulling an 18'horse trailer or 20'flat bed trailer, both bumper pull trailers. These trailers can weigh as much as 12,000 lbs. when fully loaded. Presently I pull these trailers (thru our mountainous region of NE Washington) with an F350 CC 7.3D with single rear tires. It pulls the trailer well enough but I am tired of replacing the "state of the art" auto transmission, 3 the last 24,000 mi., the first at 112,000 mi.
    Here are my questions:
    Are there any improvements worth waiting for on the 2000's such as brakes, tranny etc.??
    3.55 or 4.10 rear axle??
    2500 or 3500?? (some folks have told me 2500=f350)
  • geobcgeobc Member Posts: 2
    Re posting 510:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, I was just wondering why they replaced your tranny? was it because of the buzzing or hum in reverse? I am interested as I have this buzzing or humming in reverse and dealer advises it is a known problem but also says it should not cause a breakdown.

Can you or anyone else shed some light on this problem and has anyone had it corrected?

Thanks

Geobc
  • glengleglengle Member Posts: 57
    Well, I had several drivability problems. The humming took place in forward and reverse, even after the "fix" for the TSB. It was some sort of valve body kit. No help.

Mine also had an excessive bog trying to come out of O/D. Even DC agreed it was excessive. So they put the new tranny in. Everything was fixed except the bog. They fixed that by tightening/shortening the kickdown cable, making the tranny respond more quickly when gas is applied. Less fuel economy, better drivability.

All of the other things I took it in for were never resolved, so I traded it away. It's been so peaceful around here since...
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Great explanation of the different suspensions. I, too, questioned the roughness of the ride in my Ram as compared to my F150. Kcram (you guys aren't related, are you? Same last name...hehehe) was able to explain the difference to me.

I do find my Ram handles better than my Ford on rough, unpaved roads and over rocks and fields, especially the steering.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    All us Rammers are related ;)
    Congrats, sako. Red was my second choice. Hope you like it! :-)
  • dokkopdokkop Member Posts: 4
    To: kcram et al

Anybody have experience with starting/running the 24v Cummins in really cold weather (-20 to -35 degrees)? At those temps up here in Northern NYS we add conditioner or kerosene to tractor diesel; (if you don't the fuel turns into vaseline), keep the battery fully charged and use magnetic block heaters if you want to fire up the thing. I assume fuel thinners necessary in the Cummins; do the cylinder preheaters work well? Considering going from gas to diesel and would appreciate any info available.
    dok,

My buddies in your neck of the woods look for diesel #1 if they can find it locally, and keep LOTS of anit-gel additive handy. The standard engine block heater will work wonders, and the Cummins also uses a fuel heater at the engine pump to warm the fuel as before it gets to the pump and injectors to reduce the possibility of wax and gel getting through.

Another thing you want to do is, in the winter only, change from 15W40 to 5W30 when the temps will stay at or below 0 degrees. Your owner's manual explains it better (for those unaware, diesel Rams have a completely different owner's manual than gasoline Rams).
  • sakosako Member Posts: 25
    thanks ladyblue!! i'll possibly dispense with some other info upon receivership of the "ewe" termintar 'cuz i can't read all of the upgrades from the fax i received about the upgrades, but i've seen the original invoice 'n i'm gettin' one helluva deal 'n can't wait. it'll be here tomorrow at 11am--delivered to my residence--god it's nice to have friends in the right places. RAM IT BABY!!
  • clinecline Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 ram q-cab 4x4 i have had various little problems but one severe one. the truck seems to wonder all over been to dealership and talked with dodge and they said they changed gear boxs and it is designed that way. nothing they can do If I don't like it fill out the arbitration complaint form. What a joke this is my first dodge and probably my last.
    well the dept. of motor vehicles won't register my truck cuz it came from out of state & has less than 7500 miles on it. good ol' CALIFORNIA &; so i can't have my truck. the dealer has to ship it out of state & it's going to be wholesaled cuz they can't sell it here. *%!!<</A>>^^#$)*^&. so my great deal will now be passed onto some other lucky person. lookin' into a new one but it ain't going to be equipped like the other. i'll keep you all posted. oh yea the other truck had 900 miles was invoiced(i saw it) for $40576 & i was gettin' it for $27000, so you can better understand my sadness. THEY RAMMED ME!!!
  • dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Get a New Chevy
    cline:

Designed that way? I've had NO problems with the steering on mine. I also haven't heard anyone else complain about that problem. Sounds like a unique thing and they should fix it. Take it to a different dealer. Maybe you'll have better luck.

sako:

Sorry to hear your deal fell through. But invoiced at $40576? What sort of options were on that truck?
    5.9l, leather int. w/ 8 way power seats(both),am/fm cassette cd radio(infinity),keyless entry, alarm,camper spcl group, tow group, hd snow plow prep group, hd service group, travel convenience group, rear seat storage, 4sp auto tranny,anti-spin diff., fog lamps, air dam, steering wheel audio controls, 265 /r16 oo/off road tires, customer preferred pkg 2tg & 26g, bedliner, tonneau cover(black), dual exhaust, $2600 service contract, wood grain dash, running boards, 100,000 mile warranty & some other stuff that i can't read. i think for $27000 i was getting a good deal, but now it's going out of state to be wholesaled 'cuz it's in the CA DMV computers and can't be registered here until it has 7500 miles on the odometer & even then you might have trouble. i even told them i'd drive it to utah and register it there, but no dice. this ram has been castrated. see ya!!
  • rake14rake14 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for some advice on getting the 5.2 vs the 5.9 and sure would appreciate any input.

I don't have anything to pull, yet. I may wind up getting a ski boat later on down the road but that is still another monetary hurdle to overcome.

Is the 5.2 going to be adequate in pulling a 19' boat seasonally? Is the Heavy Duty Service Group warranted in this case for both the 5.2 and the 5.9?

Also, is the tow package a better deal than an aftermarket version?

Many thanks for your help.
  • goldrushgoldrush Member Posts: 20
    Well folks, I've had my 99 2500 QC Cummins 6 spd for almost a month now. With 3k miles on it I'm getting 19 mpg driving in the mountains. No problems so far. Just thought I'd update since I read more than post.

CLINE, There was a post on the Cummins Diesel Website from a guy with a steering problem that sounds exactly like yours. I don't remember the fix he got but it took numerous tries at several dealers to find one that would tackle the problem. Once he got it fixed he said it drove perfect. I will try and find the address for you and post it here but try searching for CDW or the above name. Good luck!
  • mweiblenmweiblen Member Posts: 5
    I have a '99 Ram with less than 2000mi. Had it back at the dealer because it feels like it wants to wander all over the road. It constantly requires slight corrections to keep it going straight. It feels kinda like your on very slick pavement, and when you do get on a wet road hold on. Has anyone experienced this and what should I look for? The dealer was no help, says everything is in adjustment? I had asked them to check alignment, but the service tech says nothing is wrong. So I called for his boss who now wants to see the truck. Any suggestions on what to tell them to look for this time?

It just won't take a track and hold it.
    Calling the dealer tomorrow and they better take me ASAP - the rear door on the driver's WILL NOT OPEN!!

If you guys remember, I had it to the dealer twice for squeaking, especially on the driver's side. Well, arriving home late last night after a long day of July 4th celebrating, I went to unload the truck and the door refused to open. When you pull the handle, there is a clicking sound, like a loose piece of plastic is wiggling around in there. It's been pretty difficult to open since the last time they adjusted it, and I was thinking of having them look at it when I brought it in for the next oil change. Now I expect to be the first phone call they get tomorrow morning! If it wasn't so darned hot here, I'd throw a tantrum! Arghhh!!!
    ouch, ladyblue!

Hope they get that straightened out once and for all. A stuck door is a safety issue and can be used in your favor in a Lemon Law case (which I know you hope you don't have to do, after all the wait and work you put into your Ram).
    I don't even want to think about the "L" word. Hopefully, they'll get it fixed right this time. You're right - I've got too much invested in this truck to turn it in.
  • bkbinderbkbinder Member Posts: 1
    Looking for info on what engine should I use for a Dodge Ram Pickup to tow a lightweight trailer (~4000 lbs. I'm currently using a 1991 Chevy C-1500 Silverado with a 5.7 V8 with 113,000 miles. Looking over the 3 biggies and the Toyota Tundra as a replacement.
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Easy Ladyblue

You're right. It's too hot to get upset. Slip another CD in, have a cold drink, and know that it will be taken care of. Good luck.
    Thanks, my friend. But I'd have to climb across the back seat from the passenger side - my CDs are on the floor behind the driver's seat!
    well i went 'n got a 2500 quad cab cummins diesel to end my suffering i'll give you spec's later, but it is set up pretty nice.

ladyblue-give it to them good--'n good luck!!!
  • richram123richram123 Member Posts: 35
    I hav e a 98 Ram1500 club cab.

The A/C doesn't seem cold enough. I often use it in the Max mode with the highest fan setting. Anyone out there wit similar experience?\\

P.S what is your average eng temp when driving. Mine seems around 180-190F according to the guage.

Thanks in advance

Rich
  • gbbclutchgbbclutch Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1999 dodge ram 1500 v-6 and the clutch assembly went out in the middle of rush hour traffic three days after purchase. I cautiously drove it back to the dealer. I received many apologies. I was told that at least three out of fifty had already failed. I want to know if anyone else has had a similar problem.
    sako:

Congrats on the new truck! Looking forward to hearing the details. Good luck with it.

Richram:

My A/C is more than cold enough, and it's been in the 100's here for the past week! I'm getting the same engine temp reading you are. Right around 190.

The truck goes to the shop tomorrow to fix the door. My friendly service guy, Jimmy, was all apologies on the phone and said he'd take me first thing in the morning. Hell hath no fury like a woman with a stuck door!
  • clinecline Member Posts: 2
    the dealership ajusted the caster on my truck to the lower limits for the wheel alignment and it helped alittle but you still ajust the steering wheel constantly. It makes it a job to drive pullin a trailer.I'm still complaining about it will let you know if I get anything accomplished.
    Show your Dodge Pictures in Topic # 775 Truck Pictures
  • tennramtennram Member Posts: 1
    hello ram brothers and sisters,

wondering if i should trade my 97 ram for a 99, or wait until the 2000 are available....has anyone heard whats changing on them???

thanks,

dennis
    here's how this rig is put together: 2500 quad cab 4x4 155" wb, flame red clear coat, leather(tan) int.grp., sport appearance group, trailer tow grp., camper spcl. grp., 4 whl anti-lock brakes, 4 spd. auto tranny, anti-spin diff., 5.9L cummins, sliding rear window, keyless entry remote, security alarm, am/fm cassette/cd/equalizer, customer preferred pkg's. 2cg & 2tg, black tonneau cover & michelin lt 245/75r16 tires. i've got a couple of questions about tire size should i go bigger & what's the consequence-no i'm not going to lift it- i just think it would look a little better with bigger tires but don't want to buy 'em if it's going to affect other things--anybody out there with any input on this issue? also what about exhaust brakes i asked a service guy today 'n he said don't do it 'cuz they would've installed it at the factory if dodge decided it was necessary-what do think. last any info on these after market chips to up the hp & torque-as if it needed it-i'm just curious about this one. any reponse is welcomed & appreciated. RAM IT BABY!!!
  • marsh2marsh2 Member Posts: 4
    go
    Just talked to Jimmy The Service Guy. They have to order a new handle for my door. Not a part they normally have in stock, don'tcha know. Now, if they only gave out loaners, this wouldn't be so bad.
  • rlkruegerrlkrueger Member Posts: 98
    richram123,
    My 94 Ram 1500 had a/c problems as well. An occasional evacuation /recharge would fix the problem, until I told them to find the source of the leaks. They put some special dye in with the freon, and found a leaking evaporator under the dash, and a leaking condenser, both of which they replaced. I had no more problems after that.

sako,
    By coincidence, I brought up the Cummins Ram Home page tonight, and see that the TST Corp, which was upgrading the Cummins by modifying the controller chip, has stopped doing this due to legal pressure from Cummins. This is due to a software infringment TST used, along with unauthorized use of programming tools to accomplish this.
    I also had a conversation with a Cummins Tech Rep., and he said unless you are willing to change your transmission to the new Allison T1000 Automatic, getting the upgrade planned for the 2000 Model year would only destroy yours, as well as my own, current Auto Trans. He did strongly imply that the increase in Hp and Torgue was due primarily to software programming of the chip, although he said that the Dodge dealers would have the specifics before Cummins was allowed to officially post the changes themselves.
    Hope this helps.

rk.
    Need Some Dodge Pictures in Topic #775 Truck Pictures
    Sorry, no more pics of my truck. Last time I posted them, I received some very nasty unsolicited e-mail from a non-Dodge fan.
    (BIG SIGH!)
    Picked up my truck last night, and being in a hurry, I didn't check that door until I got home. Guess what I found?
    - Paint scraped off the inside edge where the handle is. Looks like they used a screwdriver to pry the handle off.
    - Rubber gasket totally pinched and misaligned.
    - Inside panel completely loose, practically can pull it off with one finger.

I immediately called and talked to the service manager and gave him the list of problems. I told him since the new door handle is on order, and since HIS people did the damage, I expect the door fixed when the handle comes in. After that, I'm going to find a new dealer to service the truck from now on. I also wanted to make sure it was on record that I did not damage the door, since the truck is leased.
  • apsincapsinc Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info.

The reason for the question was, My brother-in-law has the same set up and is claiming lower RPMs and higher mileage(one-up manship???). I was even concerned the axle was mismarked or something.

As a side note, for my research into this I stopped by one of the dealerships (not the one my truck was delivered to) in my area. The service department had no clue as to what the speed/RPMs should be. So I went into the showroom and asked for the most knowledgeable salesman. Asked the same question and was told "at least 4500 RPMs to hit 75". When I told him it redlines at about 3250 his response was..."well, you can't go that fast"

New question...which has a higher IQ? A Texas brother-in-law or a Georgia salesman?

Thanks again

Tony
    thanks for the info on the chips--rk. i kind of figured the tranny would be the one to take the punishment if you installed these chips-nice to know for sure.
    anybody have bigger tires on their truck without lifting it? what size? any problems?
    does anybody have information on exhaust brakes-good or bad? thanks!! RAM IT BABY!!!
    ladyblue,

That is inexcusable to leave a door in that condition. If it wasn't such a long haul, I'd tell you to go to my dealer, but I'll keep an eye out for good Dodge dealers in central NJ.
  • tkabbestkabbes Member Posts: 14
    On the subject of truck wander. My 95 Ram 2wd was wandering all over and the steering felt a bit sloppy. The problem was a worn pittman arm. The joint at the center link was worn. This truck has 64,000 miles on it and I have no history on the care that it received before I bought it. Just a shot in the dark.
    I am truly sorry to read your letter, I could only shake my head in amazement. I would be all over this dealer like stripes on a skunk. My last dealer created some similar problems for me at which point I got the phone number for Customer Assistance. I talked to a man familiar with the technical side of the Ram, and told him of my problems. As my problems continued, I continued to call this same number, and would only speak to my original representative. This was to keep him familiar with my plight, so that he could share some of my frustration. It worked... Due to his interference, Dodge called the dealer and the problems were quickly resolved. You have a few options open to you:
    Take pictures of any damage, keep any pertinent records showing costs to you, lost time, return trips for repetitive repairs for the same problem, etc.
    Find out the name of the Regional Representative, and track him down by phone, and let him know the story. Also tell him that if this is not resolved quickly, you will take this case to the Chrysler Arbitration Board. Find out the contact of the CAB in your area by calling Chrysler. You can also get the Regional REps name and number by the same method.
    Find out from the Customer Assistance Hotline where you can write to complain about substandard work on your Dodge/Chrysler product. Be demanding, but not rude. You will get results, I am sure. Let these people know of the other avenues you are pursuing so they are left with the distinct impression of just how serious you are.
    The Chrysler Arbitration Board is your last stop, if it gets that far. When your Rep finds out you are going that route, they tend to get excited, and will generally raise your concerns several levels on their priority list.
    I have done all these things except the CAB, but they knew I was coming if things were not fixed quickly. ( In truth, after I found out the phone number of the CAB in my area, I called them to tell them what was going on. They explained the procedure that I would have to follow to pursue this through them and were very receptive. Within 20 minutes after calling them the District Rep called ME at home, all excited, to see what he could do to resolve this problem for me. That's how it actually happened.)
    Keep us posted.

rk
  • richram123richram123 Member Posts: 35
    GO TO REEDMANS IN PA THEY HAVE GREAT SERVICE.
    Thank you for all the info! I'm printing out your posting so I can follow all of your advice. If you have some of those phone numbers, I'd appreciate it. It would save me time looking them up. You can post them here or e-mail them to me.

kcram:
    That's a big problem for me - there aren't many Dodge dealers close by. There's Crystal Auto Mall out on Rt. 22, and there's another big Dodge place down on Rt. 9. Both are pretty far, but if they offer loaners it may not be so bad. I'd even use your dealer if they're open on Saturday.

richram:
    Reedman's is VERY VERY far! Thanks for the help, though. :-)
  • mjsargemjsarge Member Posts: 1
    I just brought a 99 quad cab Monday and it runs great. 5.9 V8, leather, the works. Does anybody know of common problems I should look out for? Thanks in advance
    Ladyblue,
    I can try to get some of these numbers on Monday to help out. The CAB and Regional Representative's phone numbers are different based on geographic location. I will try to get you the correct phone number for you to obtain these numbers for your area.
    Hopefully I can post something Monday for you.

rk
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Almost time to order a 2K RAM. Wanting 2500 6 speed & diesel. Any changes to the Cummins? They're changing the look of the valve cover aren't they? What about the MY 2000 Cummins ETH engine. Should I wait for it? Any timeline on the Allison trans.?
    KC, got any wisdom to share here???
    Thanks for the Dodge Pictures
    Looking good ! Keep em' coming

Topic #775 TRUCK PICTURES
This discussion has been closed.