Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• tooshaytooshay Member Posts: 13
    Good Morning Smogdung!!!

Thank you for your suggestion!!! I will give that a whirl the next time I experience difficulties. I am hoping it is nothing major and since I am getting used to the car in general, it may very well be “me” that is the issue.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to provide such valuable guidance!!! Greatly appreciated!!!!

Cheryl
  • henry125henry125 Member Posts: 18
    Try looking into Mercedes-Benz SLK 320. The parts should be the same. Good luck.
  • crossfireboycrossfireboy Member Posts: 2
    Hi Tooshay, I have an 05 Roadster and had the same issue when I bought it. It apparently is part of their security mechanism. The issue dissappeared for a year after i got the car 'broken in'. It then resurfaced about 3 months ago and it got so bad that i spend 5 minutes jiggling the key around. I had to get new wiring put in for my whole starter. It was under warranty and I'd recommend that if it starts doing it now, you get them to replace the wiring while it's under warranty and before you're in a rush trying to get somewhere. Once they changed the wiring, my car works like a charm. This has been the only problem I've had with the car in it's 3 years with me. It's still my daily driver and I love it, I'm not too sure what caused the problem, but if you can replicate it at the dealership then get them to fix it.
    I hope this helps.
    Later
    Good Morning Crossfireboy,

I am delighted that I stumbled across this discussion board as you folks are a fabulous resource!!! I will most definitively bear your recommendation in mind!!! If turning the key continues to be a problem during the next week or so (as I don’t want to belabor this concern), I will make an appointment with the dealership. I am better equipped to explain the potential problem based on your experience and for that I am truly grateful.

I am so pleased to hear that you have experienced relatively carefree driving of your Crossfire for the last 3 years – that is wonderful!!! I bought my Crossfire from a different dealership than I bought my PT for a valid reason. In fact, I was not sure I wanted to purchase another Dodge/Chrysler product after my frustrations with the other dealership. Thanks to my best friend, he stated that nothing was wrong with my PT, it was the dealership that was the issue (he told me that for years and years). I have to say that I feel confident with the new dealership, whom I will have service both cars now, has provided nothing but top notch service from the get-go. I anticipate their full support with the ignition issue. I will keep you posted with my progress. BTW - I simply love the Crossfire!!!

Thank you once again Crossfireboy, your voice has been greatly appreciated!!!
    Cheryl
    Hi Crossfireboy,

I just twigged that you are the poor chap whose Crossfire was broken into. I want to express my sadness and wish you the best of luck locating the mirror button. I can’t seem to get my head around why folks feel entitled to touch other’s property, let alone damage it. What a violation!!!

Cheryl
  • wnapwnap Member Posts: 1
    I went over a set of railroad tracks last Sunday and had a blow out on my 2005 Crossfire Coupe Convertible.
    I bought a new set for just under $1000 - the dealer said he gave me a deal.
    I don't known if that is true or not, but I do like the new look of my meaty tires. I have 24,000 miles on the old ones.
    My wife talked me into getting this car - it's the best advise I ever took from her. The car is a dream - I love to drive it with the top down and the 6-speed humming.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Mine's an '07 6 speed Limited...........SERIOUS FUN !!!!!!! (& ave 26.54 mpg!!)
    I know, had a crossfire limited Covertible before and I had a lot of fun with it. But, I'm in need for more speed..... and I traded in for a SRT6 with only 6500 miles and now, I really enjoying driving it. 0 to 60mph less than 5 seconds. Wow.......I have two hands on the steering wheel most of the time and it is smooth between gears. Love it!
    Hi Folks,

I wanted to provide an update about my problem with the ignition locking upon starting the car. Smogdung suggested that I push the key more solidly into the ignition, so I gave that a try and I am not sure if I have made a conscious effort to do that more consistently, but I have had no further troubles. I will continue to monitor it and as Crossfireboy suggested, I will try to replicate the issue at the dealership and have them repair it. I appreciate everyone’s support and I enjoy reading how much others’ adore their Crossfire’s. I can honestly say that I have never had so much pleasure from any other vehicle I’ve owned. I have a 2007 limited roadster and my, oh my I love it!!!

Cheryl
    I live in the Kansas City area and had been buying my gasoline on the Mo. side for several years because it was always 10 cents cheaper there due to higher Kansas taxes. Starting about a year ago I noticed our cars were getting fewer mpg. Seemed like as much as 3-4 mpg fewer. I found out recently all Mo. gas is now 10% ETOH & they don't have to tell you on the pump.......switched to Kansas gas......wow.....getting much better mileage now.....Crossfire went from 23.2 mpg to 27.1mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's worth the extra 10 cents for real gas!!! Since the switch I've driven 575 miles on 21.2 gal. =27.1 mpg. I'm convinced top horsepower is improved too!
  • kansasxfirekansasxfire Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm new here and may be out of line, but I have a site for you to check out on new tires for any vehicle. www.tirerack.com I bought my michelins there and paid $735 plus $35 shipping for summer tires and they were delivered to our regular tire shop. Keep this in mind for the future. They also have Goodyears and many other xfire tires that are even more reasonable.
    Hi, I live near Topeka and have an unrelated question for you. I am looking for a Crossfire club in our area. Any suggestions? And thanks for the heads up on Mo. gas!
    Check out www.tirerack.com for many different brands of z tires for xfires. That includes Goodyear and also warranties. hope it helps. It helped me on my tires. I went michelin summer.
    Good Evening Smogdung,

I live in Ontario and I am wondering how I may discover what gas stations have the 10% etho mixture you've noted? This is the first I have heard of it and I am perplexed as to why stations don’t have to disclose this ingredient? Additionally, if mileage is significantly compromised with a 10% mixture, I am rather concerned as to how that translates when ethanol becomes commonplace?

Something to ponder,
    Cheryl
    All I know is in Mo. it's mandated & they don't have to disclose that ETOH is in the mix...or what % is in there......

Kansasxfire...best bet is to get on the UK Crossfire Owners Forum.....best one I've found......about a 1000 active members.......regional groups on that forum also.
    Thanks for the update Smogdung - very interesting! I spoke with a colleague today and they indicated that the pumps in our area (London, Ontario) do indicate that the gas may contain 10% etho. I shall be sure to be more observant when filling up.

Cheers,
    Cheryl
    Warning, if your Crossfire is "garage art" & you store it for the winter....plug up the tailpipes & air intake......a guy in Ohio had his at the dealership for 5 weeks before a technician figured out his muffler was full of dog food.....mice took up residence while it was stored for the winter.
    With sincere appreciation Smogdung!!!

Those mice sure are creative little creatures!!!! I do plan on winterizing my Crossfire as our winters' can be pretty harsh here in south western Ontario.

Thanks for all your helpful tips!!!!
    Cheryl
  • trautrau Member Posts: 1
    did you ever get a response? I'm considering purchasing a 2005 convertible.
  • buddy146buddy146 Member Posts: 2
    Do you know if the core of the two engines SRT and Base are the same 3.2L?
  • mimacmimac Member Posts: 8
    Anyone using regular instead of premium gas? If so, how is it working out? When I do long trips I burn regular in my Acura with no apparent problems. I plan to take my 05' Roadster on a 1600 mile mostly freeway trip and it would be nice to save that $.25 per gallon.
  • jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the engines are only the same on the Base and the Limited. The SRT engine I believe is based off of the last generation Mercedes SLK AMG if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, the engines are like apples and oranges.
  • buddy146buddy146 Member Posts: 2
    The E32 AMG is a special version of the 3.2 L (3199 cc) E32. Anyone know what's special about it other than the supercharger?
  • vprosservprosser Member Posts: 9
    can anyone tell me where i can get a supercharger for my crossfire that will make it comparable to the srt 6?
  • vprosservprosser Member Posts: 9
    MO gas pumps have stated that it is 10% ethonol for at least 10 years. all gas is now 10% ethonol
    I traded in my 2005 crossfire limited convertible with less than 4500 miles for a SRT6 coupe and I've loved every bit of it. You may want to look into it, there is a few out there for a good price.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    It may have up to 10% ethanol... There is no way to know exactly... Could be less.. It's the same way in KY...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

VPROSSER, you do mean "all gas in MO." right? Not all gas in USA???
  • ssuedessuede Member Posts: 4
    Each cylinder in the E32 AMG has 3 valves and 2 spark plugs. And then of course is the supercharger. I have an SRT and it's amazing the torque you get out of that 3.2L V6! :D
  • cj06cj06 Member Posts: 1
    My company has assinged me to a position in Kuwait for 14 months. Trying to decide whether to sell my 2006 Xfire (only 13K miles) or place it in a commercial long term auto storage facility. My gut tells me to sell, but my neighbors here in Northern Virginia advise that my will be well maintained in commerical storage. I leave in 45 days and must make a decision soonest. Please advise if you have knowlegde or firts hand experince concerning this issue.
  • sue05sue05 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 limited black on black convertible, love my baby, but the gas is killing me.

I was told, by the dealer, I could use midgrade gas. My husband on the other hand who states with the cars aluminum engin the higher the octane the better. Which is right or what is everyone else using.
  • luckycoxluckycox Member Posts: 4
    My mechanic has told me to stick with the premium.
  • riddleboxriddlebox Member Posts: 46
    By using the lower grade fuel you do save money at the pump, but you are also losing milage.

With premium you pay an extra 8-10 cents a gallon, but your milage will also increase.

Premium is 10 cents more a gallon where I live, which is about $1.50 more a tank. I drive a $48000 vehicle with a sophisticated engine tuned to premium fuel and when I step on the gas I want the car to respond. It deserves premium. .
  • phillysrtphillysrt Member Posts: 2
    You can't really just bolt a supercharger onto the Base and Limited 3.2L V6. There is a lot more to it than that plus by the time you got it up to the HP of the SRT model, you 'd have spent dramatically more than if you would have just sold yours and bought an SRT-6. There are a lot of things you can do to boost performance. The best is probably a package from TVT called the TVT 250. They claim an HP boost upwards of 253hp. The kit is $1200 just for the parts, but that is a pretty big gain.

I have an SRT-6 and test drove a Limited Coupe. It was a blast, feels much faster than its 215hp rating, handling was great on a twisty back road. I would imagine that 253hp would make big difference.
  • ghooksghooks Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2005 CONVERTIBLE CROSSFIRE, YESTERDAY WITHOUT WARNIING THE REAR WINDOW ADHESIVE JUST LET GO ON ABOUT 1/2 OF THE WINDOW. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS. THE CAR HAS BEEN GARAGED SINCE NEW.
    Premium may not really be Premium....many stations add ETOH to lower octane fuels to raise the octane number. But there is less energy in a gallon of ETOH than there is in a gallon of real gas (<70% I think). So many people in the USA are getting screwed now. If you buy a premium (say 91-93 octane) fuel that gets it's rating because of it's ETOH content you're not going to go as far or as fast as you would if you had bought an 87-89 octane fuel that was pure real gas.

Recently I switched to buying my gas in Kansas as Mo. requires ETOH in all fuels. MPG went up 2-3 mpg. BUT !!!! At the BP station that normally stocks 92 Octane pure gas the stupid delivery guy delivered 92 octane Amoco Ultimate with 10% ETOH.the day before I filled up...ETOH fuel tanks require a different water removal filter mechanism....& as such this station's tank was contaminated....within 10miles.....brutal misfire till dealership completely drained my gas tank. Owner of station did not know of delivery driver's error till he & I were going through his invoices.
  • crossfireman3crossfireman3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am a college student looking into buying a used Crossfire (04-07). Currently, I have a mustang but I'm ready for a change. If you would answer my questions below, I would greatly appreciate it.
    1. How much does it usually cost to fill up the gas tank at todays current gas prices--$4.00/ gallon?
    2. How many gallons of gas does the Crossfire hold?
    3. Is it very expensive to take this car to the shop for maintenance, oil changes, etc? Since this is a foreign car, would the techs at Wal-Mart do an oil change or do you have to take it to a Chrysler dealer?
    4. Since the Crossfire model has been discontinued, will the cost of fixing the car go up for? From all the reviews I've read and people I've talked to, the Crossfire doesn't seem to break down as much as comparable cars (i.e., Audi TT)
    5. Are there really alot of blind spots? Are they easy to get used to?
    6. Is it a practical car for a college student who doesn't want to spend alot of money on a car (pmts and up keep)?

Any answer to these questions will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your responses.
    OK, here's my stab at this:

1. Well, it takes premium, so your cost per gallon is a little low. It's around $4.25 here. It's only a 14.5 gallon tank, so it's not outrageous, but still, I used to be able to fill up on $25-$30 roughly from a quarter tank.
    2. See #1
    3. Initially, oil changes were outrageous at up to $125. It takes 8 quarts of Mobil 0. It can still be pretty pricey these days, so it may be of some value to change it yourself.
    4. Cost of repairs shouldn't go up since it's a previous design from Mercedes, but therin lies the rub.....70+% of some of the parts are German. For what it's worth, in the 2 years I had mine, the only major issue I had was some lights on the dash needing replacment, and because they have to remove the steering wheel to do so, it cost over $200 for 4 $4 bulbs to be replaced. YIKES :sick:
    5. 2 HUGE blind spots, but they can be overcome by putting your side view mirrors angled a bit more out. Didn't bother me after a month or so.
    6. It's not a practical car for ANYONE. It's a bad [non-permissible content removed] ride for a college student though. If you want lots of glares, the sorority girls checking you out, the frat boys staring in jealousy, then hell yeah, get it. You should be able to get some decent pricing on it, but only you can determine what you can afford.
  • mimacmimac Member Posts: 8
    Crossfireman3 is correct. My 05 Roadster has been trouble free, oil changes at the dealer cost me $145, the blind spots (especially on the driver's side) are significant - even with a added "fisheye" mirror and it is a "badass" ride. I got the Chrysler extended warranty. Buy for the love, not for the logic. Good luck :D
    This will not be the right car for you to go to college. The maintence will be high, oil change $140.00, tires $1200, brakes $175.00 per axle. It is a very good sports car but, for a college kid, stick with a Toyota for low maintenance. Think of it like a Covette, high maintenance....

Good luck
    Does anyone have a overhead dome light problem. My dome light does not fade out after the door is closed for more than 2 minutes. I have to turn it off manually. This happen after the battery was replaced. Does anyone have any idea on how to correct this problem????

Henry
    The tank holds 15.9 gallons. I drive my 07 6 speed like a lunatic & I still ave 25.5 to 26 mpg. I hit > 100 mph just about every day. #s are virtually identical to RX8s......but RX8s get 18mpg.

I love this car. If you can swing it .....buy a brand new 07 0r 08.......Lifetime Powertrain Warranty!!!!! For as long as you live!!!!!!! Keep it forever.....
  • riley34riley34 Member Posts: 12
    2005 Crossfire Roadster, 15K miles with Z-rated Continental Tires. I am going on a trip, what do you reccomend for a spare (even if temporary). I understand the Mercedes SLK came with a blow-up spare...can I use it?
    :)
  • ozark2ozark2 Member Posts: 16
    I just bought a new 2007 and notice there are two lights @ base of hatch door.
    Not sure how they work.

Thanks!
    They light up your plate for the cops when you go flying by at night in this baby!
  • ozark2ozark2 Member Posts: 16
    Have the all weather Continental Tires on my 2007. Have always gotten well over 50,000 miles on my Goodyears when I had Ford Trucks. With easy driving any predictions on the Crossfire??
    On the UK forum some have gotten over 30,000......I think they handle great for an all season tire, I was super impressed with how it handled in the snow & ice last winter...the stability control & traction control & ALBs were amazing !
  • riddleboxriddlebox Member Posts: 46
    I read that there was a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty on these tires purchased before 05/01/06. Now they don't warranty the treadwear, just the workmanship for four years. I would hope the quality just suddenly didn't drop after that date!
  • 06goldxfire06goldxfire Member Posts: 5
    My 2006 came with the 'street'? tires (not the all seasons) and after only 24,000 miles I just replaced them this past weekend. (the steel cords were coming through on one and another tire had a bulge on it) I spent about $1,100 for Goodyear Eagle F1s that are all-seasons. I can feel the difference already. Also, the tire dealer said he noticed that 3 of the 4 rims were slightly bent, but was able to properly balance each one. My advice - take it easy on bumpy roads and slow down for potholes. I still love that car!