Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• winstonscifiwinstonscifi Member Posts: 5
    Here's the deal - a brand new 2007 base coupe with sticker price near 31000 for just 17000. I test drove the car today, but I thought the interior was kind of cheap looking. There didn't seem to be a cupholder in sight. My first sports car was a 1974 Triumph Spitfire, and that didn't have a cupholder, but now - I think I need one. Otherwise, the car handled like my old Spitfire, and moved quite a bit quicker! Does the 3 year 36000 mile warranty include loaner car? Should I buy it for 17000, or wait for the Pontiac Solstice coupe? Thanks for all your help!
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    I don't think the 3/36 includes loaners.....but, if you're the 1st owner.....you get a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty......the Solstice would have a 5/100K mile warranty.

I had a '73 Triump GT6 MkIII 4 speed......those were like Spitfires only hardtop-hatchback 2 seaters with a tiny 6 instead of the 4 that was in the Spitfires.....
    The Xfire is virtually identical to that that GT6 only 10 times better in every way!!

The Crossfire will blow away a regular Solstice.....but the GXP (turbo) Solstice will beat a regular Crossfire. I can't imagine you can get any new Solstice for anything close to $17K. I doubt you'll be able to touch a Solstice Coupe (base) for <$27K & a fully loaded Turbo <$32K......Good Luck.

My '07 Limited 6 speed had a sticker of $36K & I paid $23K.....there is a list of about 15 to 20 extra features you get on a Limited vs a Base.....& those extras just might make you want want to keep it forever!! Either way, $17 K for a base coupe is a fantastic deal!!!

I ave 25-26 mpg in my 6 speed & could easily get 27-28 if I could control myself...but I can't.
    Car & Driver Test Results
    NA 6 spd XFire vs NA 5 spd Solstice

0-60 6.4 7.2
    0-100 16.1 22.2
    0-110 19.8 31.6
    0-130 32.2 Won't do it
    top speed 151 123
    1/4 mile 14.8 @ 96 15.8 @ 87
  • stelmosstelmos Member Posts: 4
    Hi smogdunq...thanks for responding, even though I am late at getting the message.
    I got a 2008 Aero Blue Coupe LTD, grey inter, auto, and yes it was a good deal. Sticker was $39,800 and Len Stoler Westminster was offering $14,000.00 off...so I was happy. Love the car so far - the more I drive it the more I like it. I am a 6' guy so about another 8" in leg room would be ideal, but it's not bad. I get a LOT of compliments on the color-which is a real change for me who has always had black/white/silver cars.
    Thanks for the heads up on the club...I'll check them out. Mileage has been better than my Vovlo C70 Convert so I am pleased :)
  • henry125henry125 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone replaced the factory radio with after market unit. I would like to install a radio with DVD player built-in. Does anyone have any idea as to how to remove the access panel to install a new the radio. Please descript in detail. Love my Crossfire coupe SRT6, 330HP. Warping speed when I needed.

Thanks,
    Saw regular 87 octane for $2.33 (with ETOH) today, BP pure (no ETOH) 92 octane still $2.75....+ 5% discount (makes it $2.61) with BP credit card. Sounds cheap!

So I went out & drove the hell out of the XFIRE for about an hour today, just for [non-permissible content removed] & giggles!!!!
  • fasrnufasrnu Member Posts: 1
    I've recently purchased my crossfire and I'm enjoying driving to work again! Want to go somewhere, anywhere, I'm first to volunteer to drive. My girlfriends are envious and looking to buy as well. Have come across a problem with the electrical though. Left signal light has quit working after I moved the car with the hazards on. The bulb is fine, but doesn't flash.The rear flashes but very fast. We cleaned the contacts within the light unit, but that didn't help. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions before I take the light assembly out to check it??? Love my new ride!!!
  • smfrycruzrsmfrycruzr Member Posts: 3
    Hello to all. I'm a proud owner of a 2007 XFire Coupe Limited 6Speed. I've driven PT Cruisers since Sept. '01. My last PT was a Turbo 5Speed Dream Cruiser III. I came across the XFire on an internet hunt in Purcell,OK. Drove down Monday morning and took a test drive. WOW, what a car. I think I scared the salesman when we were on a back road and got on it for a quick trip up the gears, hehehe! Brought her home that afternoon. I can't wait to give a good detail and a wax. Will keep in touch, Later. :D
    Don't ya just love doing that to salesmen.

3 valves/cylinder, 2 spark plugs/cylinder, 8.5 quarts Mobil-1.....

Hint, watch your tread wear closely, if it looks uneven....the alignment is only warranted for the first 12 months or 12K miles.....whichever comes first!!
  • agebhardtagebhardt Member Posts: 8
    Congratulations! I have put 12,000 miles on my '06 roadster without a single problem. My problem is that I only want to drive it when it looks perfect, so I've lost count of how many times I've detailed/waxed it. I would have loved this car even if I had bought at full price, but I was one of the early buyers (over a year and a half ago) to buy a new one with the deep discounts. That price makes it even more enjoyable and takes away any guilt for buying something I didn't need! Change the oil before it's due and watch tire wear, otherwise simply enjoy and smile a lot. I find that these cars are still rather rare and very often I get asked..."what is that?" It's great to drive a car that you love and it gets a lot of attention also.
    Thanks smogdung,didn't know about the two plugs per cyl. When I got her she already had 11,700+ miles, but she drives like a dream. Any hints about the tread wear/alignment? Found out how much replacement tires would cost from a local tire store - OUCH! Was asking about any kind of CD player add on since the factory unit only comes with a single player, even my old PT had a 6 changer stock.
    Thanks agebhardt, used to do that to my PT DCIII alot, but not so much this last summer. I guess that's why I fell for the XFire so easily. Gave her the first of many full detail jobs last Saturday, then took her on a short afternoon drive Monday, then re-polished her when I got back, hehehe. Love this car!
  • thelawsonladythelawsonlady Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    driver side exterior light burned out. took out pin then took out light bulb. put new light bulb in. went to put pin back on and it popped into the housing, can't get it out without removing the front end...expensive. dealerships say i can't purchase the pin. i have to purchase entire light assembly. does anyone know of a sister vehicle that may have this same pin or where i might be able to obtain a new pin?
    thank you
    teri
    Two air filters also. Almost 17K miles on mine ....(since 12/5/07), 0 defects.
  • bab410bab410 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased an 05 limited roaster. Love the car. I was wondering if anyone has a good method of cleaning and preserving the convertable top?
  • tooshaytooshay Member Posts: 13
    Hi Bab410,

I bought my new convertible in March and purchased a product call Renovo. http://www.renovousa.com/default.aspx

I didn't purchase the restoration kit for obvious reasons, but the cleaner and water proofer is excellent. Best wishes! Enjoy your Crossfire!!!!

I have just come in from washing mine for the season and will be putting her in the garage - boy oh boy I am going to miss her. We do have rather harsh winters here in southwestern Ont.and I drive to a different city for work, so I don't want to risk getting into an accident. :)

Cheryl
  • bab410bab410 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Cheryl I will check it out. Sorry about your nasty winter...I live in sunny Florida which is a convertible paradise. Have to worry about those nasty UV rays though.
  • tooshaytooshay Member Posts: 13
    Hi Bab410,

Sunny Florida - oh my!!! Lucky you!!!

I do know I will be truly delighted come spring when I can get her out of the garage.

Take care and good luck with protecting your roof!

Cheryl
  • kt2ukt2u Member Posts: 1
    My s/o and I are a couple of "older" farts that believe we have one more convertible in us. We took a 05 Crossfire Roadster for a test drive today and fell in love with it. My question is. I still have 2 more years to work and this will be my main transportation. I live very close to work but wonder how this will handle in the winter
    (S,E, Michigan). Any advice will be appreciated and welcomed.

kt2u
  • crossfire66crossfire66 Member Posts: 9
    This car has traction control.and stability control,go ahead and drive it,but not on days when there is more then 5 inches of snow on the ground/ I have driven it in snow,and it handles like a dream as soon as you start skidding the car staightens the stability control works great. I am also a old fart 60 years old,but I am retired,and I baby it,never try to drive it in the rain or snoe,but have tried it in snoe one word grat and I line in Clintom Township,have fun with it I love this car,but put it in the garage if you can,mine never sits outside.P.S the round clearance in the front is only 5.5". Peter
  • ozark2ozark2 Member Posts: 16
    Have a 2007 Coupe, 7000 miles, all of a sudden sounds like fan has a leaf or something stuck in it. Anyone else experience this? Any solutions? Dont' want to take it back to dealer and have someone start taking dash apart if I can help it..
    Thanks!
  • stelmosstelmos Member Posts: 4
    Hi...I have a 2008 coupe LTD that I just bought recently and noticed the same thing - it sounds very slight but when everything else is off you can still here a slight fluttering that sounds like the fan is making a light noise - I also don't like the idea of taking it back and having anyone start taking apart a dashboard (shivers!!!). If anyone knows anything about this would like to know
    I contacted a local dealer that actually had a Crossfire trained Technician. He said he can check it and not have to remove dash. Would be covered under warranty.

Sorry to say, I've had my new 2007for 5 months now and have the most serious buyers remorse that I've ever had. Fact that it's discontinued, the few Chrysler Techs there are, are few and far between. No spare tire. Resale apparently is awful. Parts availability a question. I should have known better. Goes fast, but nowhere to let it do so without getting a ticket etc etc etc.
    You bought an incredibly beautiful well built car, at an incredible price, does 150+mph, 25+ mpg, with a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.....& you have buyers remorse .....? Who cares about resale.....keep it till the warranty expires...(you die).
    Thanks I needed that! Too many years of minivans and pu's stuck in my head.
    Life is short, I'm just going to enjoy it and quit beating myself up for trying to have a little fun.
    Thanks, I needed that! Too many mini-vans and pu's in the past stuck in my head.
    I need to relax and let my self have a little fun and quit being so practical about everything. Life is too short.
    You're welcome. Now go out to the garage, rub your hands along those fenders....say you're sorry to it....jump in (turn off the stability control) & smoke those 19s!!!
  • riddleboxriddlebox Member Posts: 46
    Clean out the blower motor. I bet the sound will stop. There probably are some leaves or other debris in there. Look at the service manual. It's in the panel under the glove compartment. Drop two screws and remove the cover. Remove the cover for the blower motor cover, then unscrew three screws. Blower motor drops out.
    Thank-you for the information. We'll give it a try!

Did you see ad for new James Bond movie? Looks like there is a Crossfire in it!
  • vprosservprosser Member Posts: 9
    I'm having trouble finding any performance upgrades for my '05 coupe. Any suggestions or input?
    http://www.tvtdesign.com/

Claim 215 .....to 253HP.
  • winstonscifiwinstonscifi Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my 2007 base coupe on October 30th of 2008. I love the car. I miss a cupholder, though! Is there an aftermarket cup holder that works? Is there a Crossfire Club in the upper midwest? Thanks for this forum!
  • crossfire6crossfire6 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT 6 Roadster. I understand the SRT 6 Roadster
    was only produced for the model year 2005. Can you tell me how many units were built? THANKS
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Hey Guys,

Interested in a Crossfire - can you guys breakdown the manufacture of the CF:

What is (was - did they stop production - no '09's?) mfg'd in Germany? Are the body panels stamped by MB in Germany or Chrysler in US/Canada/Mexico)?

If not final assembley in Germany - what plant in the US (see body panels question above)?

Is the unibody/ suspension/engine and tranny all MB?

Is the interior mostly selected from the Chrysler parts bin?

Is this an exact replica of the 1st generation MB SLK?

Lastly should I avoid the SRT - problems w/. the supercharger?

Thanks a million - I wonder how many new '08's are left on lots in the US?
    There were 2016 SRT6 coupes and 968 roadsters produced in 2005. There were about 13 SRT6's produced in 2006 - unk exactly how many of those were roadsters or coupes.
    The N/A Crossfire was produced from 2004-2008. The total production number is thought to be around 76,000.

The car was hand assembled in Germany. It is for all purposes a "baby Benz". The SRT6 is upgraded with the AMG C32 engine, suspension etc. If you have seen an SLK, they have similar interior. While there are bits and pieces manufactured from different parts of the world, the car is actually only about 5% American-made.

By all means, if you have the chance go for the SRT6. Prices are incredible - Chryslers have poor resale value. There are a few low mileage SRT's to be found for around $20,000. The original sticker was close to $48000. You won't get a better car for the money. This car is for both show and go. There are numerous people that claim the N/A Crossfires are plenty powerful for them. I know there is about 10 2008 roadsters sitting on a Chrysler lot where I live, so they should be easy to find. Chrysler dealers are trying to get rid of them (along with the Pacifica) since their break-up with Daimler. DO NOT pay anything CLOSE to sticker. You can get them down to about $23000 for a 2008 roadster.

There have been some reports of the supercharger's clutch/pulley going out - if you test drive a SRT6 and don't take off like a rocket when you stomp on the pedal, that's a sign. This is one car I would definitely recommend getting a warranty with - even though there may not be alot of problems with these cars, whatever goes wrong will be expensive. And be sure you realize the expense in maintaining these cars (oil changes, tires, etc). They are not Toyotas - you can't get the $19.95 oil change special.
    The sticker on my 07 says 0% U.S. and Canadian parts.

If you buy the Mobil-1 0-40 (as required by the owners manual) & the filter & take it to a Walmart & have them change the oil....the whole thing will cost less than $75-$80.

The FSS (Oil life monitor) will easily let you go 7,500 miles. Considering we all used to change our oil every 3,000 miles.....the net increase in cost to maintain your Lifetime Powertrain Warranty isn't really that big a deal. Keep receipts!

Nothing with an "SRT" designation gets the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

There is a dealership in Dallas I think that is dumping them for $17K off sticker (or more!!) right now.
    Or better yet.....get an oil extractor and change the oil yourself.
    Everything is done from the top of the engine and super easy.
  • vprosservprosser Member Posts: 9
    I know I'm replying to an old post, but I had my 05 base at 140 on int 55 in saint louis a month ago. It was in the city and around curves. It scared me and backed off it. U can do it anywhere u just need the balls.
  • ArgeArge Member Posts: 3
    I also live in SE Michigan and I am just curious as to which dealer you made the positive remarks about.

Arge
  • ArgeArge Member Posts: 3
    I also live in SE Michigan (Canton). I found that it handles fine unless there is a lot of snow. Our first snow last February was rough to drive in, but other than that no problem. Do you have the all weather tires? They are the continentals and suppose to be much better than the "sports". I have the all weather, but like I said, it is rough to drive in deep snow.

Arge
    Is it true that if you have bought a new Crossfire you can get a free alignment check and wiper blades if you do so within 12 months and 12,000 miles?

Thanks!
    I bought mine on 12/5/07, as of today I have almost 18,000 miles on it. At about the 13-14 K miles point I noticed the fronts were wearing unevenly....outer treads on both tires significantly thinner than inner treads. I spoke with 2 dealerships & they both said that I was out of luck ...as the alignment was only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles - whichever came first. About a week ago I got new tires for the front & discovered that nobody can do the alignment on a Crossfire except a Chrysler or Mercedes dealership.......I scheduled an alignment at a 3rd Chrysler dealership ($89) & as I was checking out....I asked, "Is there any chance this is covered by warranty ?" Service manager said "Yes, first alignment covered during warranty period." I guess he meant the 3 year / 36 K bumper to bumper period???? I was happy!!

Anyway, on another forum ...most say the original Conti All Season tires have rarely lasted over 20-25 K.....I got less than most I guess ...cause mine was slightly out of alignment from the factory.
  • bordercopbordercop Member Posts: 11
    Just had my newly acquired 05 Crossfire coupe fail the emissions test in NY. They said I'd have to run the car somemore to reset the computer for emissions readings. Nothing was present due to the car either battery unplugged or something along those lines. The car only arrived from a dealer this week where I assume it sat for a month and perhaps had the battery disconnected. Would this cause my failure? I read the manual and turned the key to on and checked the engine light as it says and found no problem. Do you think it may have reset itself or programmed itself already and is safe to go back for a reinspection tomorrow?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Yes the codes stored in the computer can be not valid if the battery has been disconnected or recharged. Drive it for a week before trying the test again with at least 15 starts and ignition off stops before trying the test again.
    GPS recorded a max speed of 131 yesterday, never got to 6th gear....damn traffic!
    Thanks for the self assurance in this matter, drove me nuts. I put about 250 miles on it and started and stopped a bunch of times and finally passed the emissions test. Only problem, didn't beat the bad weather and the car got christened with road salt after a snow storm. Had no choice but to go out in the weather being on my last day to get the inspection done. Car road good in the snow and ice with the all season tires and traction control. Can't wait for good weather now.
    The Xfire I just bought from an Ebay purchase thru a dealer said I would get a 7/70 warranty Transferred to me. Now the dealer claims the 2005 doesn't offer it since its a Mercedes Engine. I sent him articles and even the window sticker which shows 7/70 coverage. They then said, the system isn't allowing them to process a 7/70 warranty and shows only the standard 3/36.
    Has anyone run into this problem before? I just feel they are trying to avoid the transfer fee as promised. I understand I am the second owner so this should be allowed. Is there a point of contact at Chrysler I should contact or just let the dealer keep trying as he says he is doing?
  • zq8zq8 Member Posts: 82
    The payment of the fee is all that it will take to transfer to the second owner.
  • ronaldcronaldc Member Posts: 50
    I had the same problem. I called Chrysler Service Contracts at 1-800-521-9922. Give them the VIN and they can tell you if the 7/70 in still in effect. In my case, the 7/70 was not transferable since I was the third owner.