Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
Here's your place to talk about the upcoming Mercedes-Chrysler collaboration, the Crossfire. Read all about it here!

kirstie_h
Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host
Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• petra02petra02 Member Posts: 33
    Remember the 300 HEMI C? It's the Chrysler convertible that was shown at the 2000 Detroit Auto Show. It was thought to be on it's way to production for a while. Then in 2001 it was thought to have been killed during the restructuring plan. However, carandtrucknews.com reports that it may still be produced, around 2005.

However, the Crossfire is also coming, next year. My thinking is: If the 300 HEMI C was cancelled, does the Crossfire fill the gap? If they have the Crossfire, I don't really see why they would need the 300 HEMI C. However, could the 300 HEMI C still be alive, perhaps under the "300N" nameplate?

Also, let this thread be the host for anyone who just wants to comment on the Crossfire, seeing as how an earlier one was deleted.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    They are 2 very different cars, IMO. The Crossfire is smaller, V6, fixed roof, probably sportier handling.
    The 300 Hemi convertible is more of a big, relaxed cruiser, V8, convertible - a luxury car. I think there is room for both of them.
  • driver48driver48 Member Posts: 1
    Want to see a Crossfire ? Go to the Mercedes-Benz dealer and ask to see the SLK line.Chrysler can put these guys on the road whenever they change their markings and lower their standards to remake an outstanding car.Go see the hardtop convertable..,drive a dream,have some fun for a change.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    The Crossfire won't cost as much as an SLK.
  • wcollinswcollins Member Posts: 45
    I was amazed that Edmunds didn't think the Crossfire will be produced. I just received my brochure on the Crossfire from Chrysler yesterday. I am told it will be about the size of the Audi TT only wider with 215 hp. Why only 215? That is much less than other vehicles in its category. 215 HP with such large wheels. I hope before the mid-2003 showroom intro they will up the H.P. It needs to be able to run with the Z-4, S2000, Z350 etc. Base prices suggested to be around $30,000.
  • pintail40pintail40 Member Posts: 1
    Saw Crossfire at auto show in anaheim. On rotating pedestal. Disappointed with retro interior and no DVD navigation. Otherwise I would go for it.

One less buyer.

Dennis
  • socalsamsocalsam Member Posts: 1
    Honda Accord with 240hp, Acura CL/S with 260hp, Nissan 350Z with 290hp, Infinity G35 Coupe with 280hp, Mustang GT with 260hp, Mach 1 with 305hp, Chevy Camaro Z28 with 310hp. All in the $30k range. What is Chrysler thinking?
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    Is that a joke? Car looks like it should be 300hp. My Buick Regal GS is 240hp. I can't wait to smoke it... Even the 300M has more power....

What is going on? Are they expecting a lighter car to make up for the lack of engine?

Are we going to get a cheap American looking interior? It is a shame for such nice lines on the outside to cheap us on the inside. At least the corvette has power...

I don't get it. For the money I think i'd go with the G35 or Nissan 350Z

Do they even offer a bigger engine option? Supercharger ? Whats the deal Chrysler???
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    yes, but the crossfire has CELINE DION.....
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    I do not know about the power, but in the pictures at Chrysler.com the interior sure does not look cheap. In fact, it is at a much higher level than the Corvette, a car I like very much.
    vette has twice the hp though
    Very true.

And if the Vette team sticks the looks on the new Vette, the Crossfire will be hard to pick at the suggested price. It is a very good looking car though.

Plus, per autoweek.com, it will come as a drop top.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I wonder if they're focusing the appeal on women, though. The only commercial I've seen for it so far is the one with the lovely, 30-ish woman driving and singing, so maybe it's a different target market?

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Could well be. I hope my wife does not pick up on that though. I want a Crossfire for me!
    that's celine dion singing...enough to ruin the whole car for me
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    I saw it last night in Providence ... like all ofyou, I couldn't touch, but the interior and exterior looks very well put together. This one was the concept with the vertical headlights, but they had a video of a production model.

The immediate impact is 'stunning.' I recall the first time I saw the Prowler, and the first time I saw a PT Cruiser .... same effect. It lasted, in each case, through about 5 or 6 viewings, then the surprise and the charm wore off.

Maybe it is being marketed for women, but with a more potent engine it could appeal to an audience of 100% more people (and usually, car interest).

JW
  • xa4xa4 Member Posts: 22
    Are there Crossfire prototypes out there making the PR mall tour? If so, does anyone have the schedules?

Thanks.

My $0.02: I think that 215 hp and 3000 lbs. will be quick enough for me. The Z4 has just 10 more hp and breaks 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. I'm just wondering if my golf clubs will cram into the back.
  • moparfevermoparfever Member Posts: 8
    This car is not a Chevy, Honda, nor any of the cars that have massive HP along with a massive sticker. It's style, class, and elegance. If you want a race car then I suggest local drag strips or join the NHRA.
    I am sure with modifications you could build up to 300hp but why?
    I think most have forgotten the domestic market and this is Chryslers' way of saying hello again America. And just in case you have forgot purchasing American is the true American way.
    "I am sure with modifications you could build up to 300hp but why?"

If Crossfire looked like Caravan, I'm sure it would be okay with everyone. But it looks like a bat outa heck ... most Americans like to be able to live up to whatever their image is: this one is fast.

"I think most have forgotten the domestic market and this is Chryslers' way of saying hello again America. And just in case you have forgot purchasing American is the true American way."

Malarkey. In this "free market" system, value wins the market. When the 'big 3' offer value, they win market share. If the Crossfire needs a bigger engine, even as an option, they'd best offer it for people who 'value'it, assuming there are enough of us, that is.

As it is, if the performance isn't there, there are some of us who will continue to be willing to pay a premium for German, Japanese, or anyone else who can come up with a car that goes like it looks.

JW
    The Crossfire is quite German. It is built by karman in Germany on a Mercedes platform.
    Yes it is German and yes it would be nice to have the HP that it's competitors produce but riddle me this. Would you consider buying the C class Mercedes? It's nothing but an affordable Benz for the poor.
    When Hyundai made it's debut in the US it was trash but look at what they have done now.
    Did the Vette start with 405 HP? NO.
    It improved changed morphed if you will into what it is today.
    The most important thing to remember no matter the manufacturer noone is really willing to build an automobile with all of the capabilities it will ever have the first time out.
    This is just a taste of the direction Chrysler wants to head.
    If buyer's buy it and demand more i am sure Chrysler will give them more.
    "The Crossfire is quite German. It is built by karman in Germany on a Mercedes platform."

Of course you're right. But the man was arguing for a Chrysler (American, he called it) purchase. Thanks for keeping it in perspective. (I hope no one tells us we have to wait for an AMG version :-}

JW
    The funny thing is nowadays American isn't even American. i.e. PT -Mexico, Vans Canada, 300m, concorde Canada.
    What difference does it make?
    I will still order one and am sure quality and will be the best. Just unfortunate that numbers will be limited.
    Now you have me hoping there will be an AMG version.

And why not? The Crossfire is a Benz with Chrysler styling. What better Chrysler to be the first to get the AMG treatment?
    How about a RenneTech version.
    I do believe Chrysler even though it's German has taken a step in the right direction and before you know it you will be going to a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Benz all in on the same lot.
  • cardukecarduke Member Posts: 1
    hi, not only is it built in Germany, but it's got the looks of those baby Benzes, in particular from the front.
    I prefer the '01 Detroit Auto Show concept car's frontend VERY much to the production version. The stacked headlights would have been a bold step out of the general bunch (see Cadillac), the split front window was just ultra cool, and the bigger (more Chrysler-like) grille exuded much more power than these standard air intakes, which you will ruin at the next steep parking garage exit.
    Concept v. production = dream v. reality.
    Welcome back to earth!
    It's more than expected that Chrysler will launch the Crossfire with the base 215 hp engine and then bump it up in the following years. Practically every car from a Neon to a 911 has gone through this power improvement process.

Here's something that may make you want to wait another year for your Crossfire:

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evo_news_story.php?id=31338
    I don't understand the reason for waiting. It sounds like procrastination and just when you think they can't take it any further they will then when will you buy.
    I am all for purchase now and buy again later. If you think about it if you bought the 01 PT then you would be in line for the 04 convert. Funny how brand loyalty has gone down the tubes. It also is what drives trade in values down.
    another good reason to wait a year! Actually, this is a good, practical thing to do with most any car, even the Japanese.

Brand loyalty? Hmmmm. Are you a dealer? You sound like a dealer? Dealers say things like that, along with "How do you expect me to feed my kids with this deal?" and "No, the warranty doesn't cover the engine if it falls out."

JW
  • jamessrjamessr Member Posts: 16
    Question to you all? If Chrysler is such a bad product it certainly creates alot of discussion. Why the heebie jeebies of a good product?
    Why the heebie jeebies of a good product? Huh?
    "why the heebie jeebies of a NEW product?"

If so: because it is a new product.

And Chryslers always have a high level of interest. Among the Big 3 they are the only auto company that is willing to take risks. (some would say they have to, but that's a different story) The fact is that Chrysler's styling, as you should know, has always been advanced ... at least since 1936. They've just never been able to engineer the parts and assemble them with reliability and still make a profit.

Second year products tend to have some of the glitches ironed out.

JW
    What is different here is that the Crossfire is built off an existing Mercedes platform by Karman in Germany. It is kind of hard to judge the Crossfire with Chrysler perceptions when in reality it will be more Mercedes than Chrysler.
    Riddle me this then.
    Where does Infiniti come from?
    Where does Lexus come from?
    Where does Acura come from?
    Yes tis true a Mercedes with Chrysler badging but how many other Automakers have made not of there own and worked well?
    Chrysler says elegant, sophisticated, eccentric.
    Put it together with German engineering and you have an awesome combo of German engineering with American inginuity.
    And for those who doubt first time out Auto's. What about the Jeep Liberty
    You are trying so hard to be creative I really do not know what point you are trying to make.

However, you cannot say that Chrysler is not of Daimler (the parent of Mercedes). Daimler and Chrysler merged years ago.

The Crossfire was designed by designers in Auburn Hills, MI. But to save money making it, Daimler used mainly existing Mercedes platform components. Superficially, it looks unlike any MB. But underneath what you see, it will pretty much be an MB, for better or worse.

There really is no riddle about it.
    Okay let's keep it simple It's a good looking design and it's new.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    The Crossfire is a thing of beauty, with a nice exterior and interior design.

With that said:

215 hp, for 18" front wheels and 19" rear wheels is a pretty inadequate. If this car can break 0-60, in under 8 seconds, I would be impressed. That is a great deal of inertia to overcome with wheels that big.

If the car was priced in the low $20ks, I could see it, but not for +$30K without a little more power under the hood!

A V6 Camry right now will be able to give it a run for its money! They are planning to upgrade the power of the V6 Camry next year anyway.
    To be sure if I understand you correctly, your position is that even for a limited run car, the only thing the market wants is to be able to win the stop light to stop light straight line drag race?

And interior appointments, ride, handling, and appearance count for nothing?
    your own is suspect. That isn't at all what kevin said -- he's been making the point that many of the posters have: that a car that looks fast and costs fast ought to be fast.

To answer your question: of course everything on the car counts for something and is important. The new Z, for example, is short on interior appointments and materials, according to many reviewers. But because it goes great and has admirable style (even a little edgy), almost all is forgiven.

I wonder if the reviews would say the same thing if the Z lost in performance (at stoplights or on mountain roads) to (as kevin says) a Camry... or if that's harsh try a Maxima or Accord.

And just so this doesn't come off as an attack on an interesting, if unproven, new car: there will be some -- maybe many -- buyers who won't care about the car's power or its performance and will buy it strictly on looks. And if that's all it has the Crossfire will be known forever as a 'chick' car, and that's alright, too, but don't expect to get a lot of applause for the car from the mostly male audience at Edmunds if it won't do sub-6 0-60 or .90 on the skid pad or 115' or shorter braking. That's pretty much entry level for a +$30k car that trades on a "performance" image.

JW
    So the bright guys at Edmunds prefer either a bunch of Z clones or a coupe with great looks and appointments that is unfortunately too expensive for any of them to buy. Explains a lot I guess.

But it sure as heck does not caste my logic into any sort of suspicion.
    To say that it won't be able to do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds is silly. Going from 17" wheels to 18" and 19" wheels will sap a couple of horsepower at most. It's not going to add 2 seconds to acceleration times.

A 1999 Z3 at 2988 lbs with a paltry 170 hp makes the sprint to 60 in 6.7 seconds. The Crossfire with 26% more power and torque should hit 60 in under 6.0.

It'll be quick and will get quicker incrementally to keep you all interested for years.
    That is the whole idea coming from Chrysler. Up until recently hardly anybody had any buzz talk about Chrysler and now we all are salivating wondering and waiting to see whats going to happen next.
    anticipates about 6 sec. 0-60.

If so, given the engine, perhaps there was some other gearing compromise.

JW
  • oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    I saw the Super Bowl commercial with Celine Dion in the Chrysler Crossfire. I sent an email to Chrysler asking them if they were marketing the Crossfire towards women. Their response is below.

Thank you for your email regarding Chrysler's association with Celine Dion.

Chrysler has teamed up with Celine Dion because we feel she portrays a wholesome attitude and image and embodies the family values that Chrysler tries to promote. Through her collaboration with Chrysler, we feel she will help us reach a wider potential consumer base since her music appeals to a wide audience.

We are not trying to market the 2004 Chrysler Crossfire as a "ladies'" or "men's" car, per se. We are simply trying to make the 2004 Chrysler Crossfire an appealing car to multiple segments of the car-buying population, and by doing that, we sometimes find that certain attributes of the vehicle appeal more to certain specific car-buying groups.

We are certainly not trying to alienate any segments of the car-buying public. I apologize if you feel our advertising is doing this.

Thank you again for sharing your opinion with us.
    The Crossfire shares the same 215hp engine with the MB SLK320. I looked at a past review of the SLK and it said that the SLK320 arrived at 60mph in 6.5 seconds. If that is so, the Crossfire might achieve a 0-60 time of 6 or less because it weighs less than the SLK.
    no way would i touch a car celine drives.....the crossfire will have a chick car stigma if they run too many more ads with her in it.

On the CLK Edmund's posts a 7.5 time.

JW
    The SLK230's supercharged four-cylinder engine (SLK230) makes 192 horsepower, but for those who prefer the smooth torquey feel of a V6, the SLK320 offers a 3.2-liter, 215 horsepower V6. A six-speed manual is standard on both models, with a five-speed TouchShift automanual optional. The 0-to-60 mph sprinting ability of either model is respectable, with the 230 running that dash in around 7.5 seconds and the 320 beating that time by around a second. As one would expect, the performance of the SLK32 is thrilling, as it dispatches that performance yardstick in just 4.8 ticks of the stopwatch.

Notice that the Edmunds said that the SLK230 has a 0-60 time of 7.5 and the SLK320 has a 0-60 time a second less than the SLK230 which would be as I said before 6.5 seconds.
  • kburcrofkburcrof Member Posts: 6
    I saw a Crossfire on the road in Detroit.
    The features I liked were:
    Fin that came up when the vehicle was accelerating.
    Nice metallic paint.
    Very distinctive styling.
    It was a head turner.