Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• spanky_01spanky_01 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 Crossfire Limited Coupe, and lately when I turn on the ac for a bit and then turn it off, I get a foul smell comming from the vents... Any suggestions what it could be? I have replaced the AC filter hoping that may be the problem, but its still there.
    :confuse:

Thanks,
    Gerald
    The only thing I have done was added an antenna isolator and FM modjulator to my factory stereo. This was done so I could listen to my IPOD. The sound is not CD quality, but its really good. The kit usually costs around $50.00 or so from Circuit City, BestBuy or most car stereo places. I had mine installed since I didnt want to mess with doing it myself. All I have is a single wire coming out of the center console on the passangers side that is out about a foot so I can hook up my IPOD and lay it in the emergency brake slot (EKK, i know) but it fits well there and dosent move around. Another suggestion is to just put it in the map pouch on the passanger side of the console.

Just my 2 cents worth

spanky_01
  • steenport567steenport567 Member Posts: 8
    You have mold growing in your vents. All you have to do is get some bathtub cleaning solution and flush your vents. Works like a charm. Let me know how it works.
  • xfireroadsterxfireroadster Member Posts: 81
    Does not work with the Roadster.
  • flapsupgearupflapsupgearup Member Posts: 1
    Whats the word on gas type to use?
    Premium or Regular?
    Anyone consistantly use regular?

Picking up my 05 in 2 weeks :)
  • tarheel910tarheel910 Member Posts: 3
    Can you tell us the "special" product for the rag top?
  • lindasrt6lindasrt6 Member Posts: 1
    I put in HID kits in the SRT-6 for high and low beams. Got the 8000K color - awesome!!

Got two kits from Ivor Fong in Hong Kong for $470 including shipping. You can view his auctions at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-H1-H3-H4-H7-9006-HID-Xenon-Light-Conversion-K- it_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8025907874QQrdZ1. Shipping was three days. His kits have combined starter/ballast units and have mounting brackets for the ballasts. You can negotiate with him using the “ask seller a question” feature on the e-bay item.

Installation was not too bad. Used the metric nuts that came with the kits to mount the brackets. Used RTV under the brackets. Passenger side ballasts were mounted under the coolant reservoir using spare studs. Driver side ballasts were mounted under the MAP sensor bracket. More installation details are available - send me an e-mail message request.

Only problem was that the right side high beam went out after about a week due to a blown fuse. The low beams use 15A fuses whereas the high beams have only a 7.5A fuses even though they both use the H7 bulb. The right side high beam fuse also supplies the high beam indicator light. I replaced the high beam 7.5A fuses with 15A fuses, same rating as the low beams, and have had no further problems.
  • mickster2mickster2 Member Posts: 7
    I had it too -- smelled like vinegar. Never did figure it out and now Chrysler is buying this lemon back!
  • crossfiremancrossfireman Member Posts: 14
    I am seriously considering buying a new black base roadster...got a quote just below $25K. Should I push further? Do you current owners love the car? Any known problems I should know about?
  • hiscrosshiscross Member Posts: 2
    Are we all missing something here? The Crossfire has been discontinued?
    Where did you read that?
  • hiscrosshiscross Member Posts: 2
    At a website entitled Crossfirecommunity.net someone posted a message (http://www.crossfirecommunity.net/default.aspx?tabid=142&g=posts&t=476) that discussed it.

I also know that you cannot build and order your own SRT-6 on the Chrysler website. Maybe it is only the SRT-6? On the other hand I have seen a press release by Chrysler posted on another website that talks about the Crossfire and small modifications to the windshield trim for the 2006 model.

I just signed papers to purchase a Sapphire silver metallic blue SRT Roadster that the dealer is currently searching for and I am concerned about buying one if the car has been discontinued. I used the Overstock.com coupon and got $8,926 off the sticker price, which is $3,426 better than the dealer was offering. I got the car for $42,454 after rebates and the Overstock.com coupon.

I also heard that with all the old Crossfires on the lot that Chrysler won't come out with the 06's until January.

Today when I was at the dealer to make my purchase I saw a 2004 on the lot, brand new, never titled. The sales person said it has been there for over 2 years. That is unheard of...

I just hope Chrysler keeps offering the car and that they advertise it more. Based on a lot of research I believe it is a great car with tremendous value.
    The Crossfire line has not been discontinued as yet, the contract with Karmann runs until 2008, I believe. The 2006 models will be out very soon, no change from 2005 other than the addition of 2 new colors and a special edition "BASE" Roadster. You can build your SRT at your local dealer. There is a large supply of 2004-2005 Coupes and Roadsters & SRT's available at very good discounts. DChrysler really dropped the ball on marketing this car. It is a GREAT car for the value and hopefully it will retain some of that value. But I am in for the long haul, just fell in love with the car and plan on keeping it a very long time.
  • steenport567steenport567 Member Posts: 8
    This is all very true. I bought my X-fire for 23K with only 3k miles. It has been a wonderful car that I have never regreted buying. :shades:
    Was yours a roadster?
  • dobrodobro Member Posts: 9
    I am CRAZY about my limited roadster. At 28k, there's nothing close. With its Mercedes/Karmann build quality, it'll outlive the note. I also love the fact that people will run past Porches and Beemers to admire my car;some have assumed it was a wild exotic. Built like a tank, responsive as can be, a blast for errands or road trips. Zero problems. I kind of like the fact that it seems like there will never be zillions built.
  • dobrodobro Member Posts: 9
    #764 of 776 Re: Cargo tray for roadster???

Does not work with the Roadster.

Thanks for the info. I sure wish the Chrysler tray would work; my briefcase bounces around like a BB in a boxcar!
    Any word on what the new incentives may be?
  • hlcastelohlcastelo Member Posts: 45
    I have a base cross fire and i'm looking for the metal insert for the scuff plates which are sold with the limited models. Does anyone know where I can purchase these inserts?
  • meboredmebored Member Posts: 1
    I have a question about the top on my '05 Crossfire roadster. When I press the button for the top to go down there's a loud noise that almost sounds like glass breaking. In fact, the first time I put the top down I thought I had broken something. Then, when I put the top up and pull the handle to lock it in place it's a real tug of war. I really have to pull it and then it slams down with a loud bang. My wife who is just 100 pounds, but lifts weights wasn't able to pull it down the first time she tried. I've had the dealer check this out. The service adviser said he felt the tension was too high. The mechanic
    who checked it out agreed that the top made a loud noise when the mechanism to lower it was engaged, and that it was difficult to pull
    the handle down to lock it in place when raising the top, but checked it with another Crossfire and said that the other one did the same things and so the top was operating normally. Have others with roadsters had similar experiences with their tops?
  • samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    All you have to do is use your other remote or take the remote off of your key ring and hit lock button on the remote.
  • summeronlysummeronly Member Posts: 6
    I have never heard the noise you are describing when I put the top down. I have never had an automatic convertible top so I can't compare it to other cars but I hear the click when it engages or disengages the back window. The other sounds I hear are just gear type sounds.

The first time I put up the top I banged it too so this is what I started doing - I put my left hand on the hinged section (kinda of to the upper left of where I am sitting) and my right hand on the front. I gently push up with my left hand and gently pull down with my right hand. I do it slowly so as not to get my right hand caught when that "flap" comes down. I find this works very easily for me - bear in mind that I am female and my hands might be smaller than yours but it should definitely work for your wife. Hope you can get the visual of this and that it makes sense to you. Don't you just love your car?
    mebored,

All Crossfire Roadster top latches are heavier and harder to close than most. Try this.......when closing the top latch pull it down so that it is about a half inch or so above the top of the windshield. Once positioned turn the latch a quarter turn and pull firmly and slowly down. In no time you will get use to it, just enjoy your top down day's.
  • adriantadriant Member Posts: 1
    I OWN AN 04 CROSSFIRE. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY A BODY KIT."SPORTS TUNER" STYLE....
    There are none to be found for our cars. You would have something custom fabricated. There are not alot of aftermarket parts for the Xfire.
    I prefer to do my own maintance on my cars, because I like tinkering with them. Does anyone know how I can reset the maintance wrenches on the dash when you turn the key to the on position.
    There are instructions in the Owners Manual that tells you how to reset the FSS. If you do not have an Owners Manual, e-mail me and I will send you the instructions.
    You can get them directly through any DChrysler dealer. Also there are a few on Ebay from time to time. You can also get illuminated door sill's from DChrysler at a cost of about $385.00 + labor for installation or DIY. The stock door sill's should not be that expensive, I think they are less than $50.00 for the pair from the dealer and usually about $25.00-30.00 used for the pair on Ebay.
  • gnetcomgnetcom Member Posts: 1
    Yes! I have a 2004 Crossfire LTD Coupe. It jumped so hard out of first gear I thought some one rear-ended me. They replaced the Synchronizers for first gear but this did not fix the problem. They finally replaced the Trans and put an upgraded one in. So Far all is good! Fingers crossed.
  • lillifredlillifred Member Posts: 1
    I am storing my Crossfire for the winter and am concerned regarding tire pressure. Should I leave the pressure at 32psi front and 33psi rear, or increase it to the max written on the sidewall of 50psi (Contintental All Season tires)? Hoping the higher pressure would reduce flat spots on tires. FYI I live in Ontario, Canada. If temp. has anything to do with storage.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for replacement tires other than the Michelin Pilot Sport that I have seen written here, or the Continental that came with the car. There appears to be some concern regarding tire wear and I am unsure whether this applies to the Michelin or the Continental.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I am considering a pre-owned roadster limited, 11000 miles.
    What is the Maintenance Schedule like for this car? It is a 6 speed.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, crossfireman,

You can find the maintenance schedule at Edmunds.com:

Maintenance Schedule

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

I do not think that the one posted is very accurate...especially the projected costs...'
    '
    What source data does Edmunds use for this?

Thanks
    I would remove the tires if possible and rest the car on jack stands. I would think that more or less air pressure will not make that much of a difference in the tires becoming "blocked".
    Service is rated at 7000 mile intervals or when the FSS alerts you that service is approaching.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    The maintenance schedules are from the manufacturers. The labor costs, though, do seem low... or at least lower than what I've paid :sick:

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• squat6squat6 Member Posts: 5
    I have a base model...anyone have any ideas on how to boost the hp output?
    You can add a ECU performance chip, K&N Filters and change the exhaust and gain about 10-12 more ponies. Anything more will cost BIG BUCKS, and it would be cheaper to trade in your base model for an SRT6. With Renntech, Startech or Brabus you are looking at about $10,000.00-$22,000.00 to get in the 290HP 6cyl. range and at the high point 304HP 8cyl.
    Chrysler announced yesterday that they have issued a Recall E-19 Radiator Cooling Fan Module for some Crossfires. This is for cars built between March 1 2004 and Sept. 14, 2005. Not all cars are effected in this run and they will be mailing out letters within one week. This is just a heads up for the members here. Call your Dealer and give them your VIN# and they can check it out for you.

Check here to see if your XFIRE is included in this recall:
    http://www-5.chrysler.com/webselfservice/chrysler/index.jsp?screenName=recall&co- untry=us&emailUrl=goToEmailForm%28%27R%27%29
  • fire4fire4 Member Posts: 2
    Same problem, have a 2004. Please let me know if there is a chip. The IHI supercharger is $3000 +++
    Thanks
  • fire4fire4 Member Posts: 2
    need more power-chip-supercharger IhI $3000 plus kit . Anyone know who make3s kit?
    Thanks
    ECU Chips:
    Upsolute Tuning about $498.00
    http://www.upsolute.ca/
    PowerChip about $375.00
    http://www.powerchipgroup.com/choices.asp?entry=powerchipgroup%2Ecom
    Kleeman about $1600.00
    http://www.kleemann.dk/site
    Renntech about $1295.00
    http://www.renntechmercedes.com/R170_SLK.html

I am currently using the PowerChip Gold 93 Chip with great results.
  • blkglasblkglas Member Posts: 1
    I have a srt6 ragtop and it makes the same noise you describe. To keep the top from banging on the windshield , when you close it, use your left hand to assist pulling the top down slowly to the windshield
  • riley34riley34 Member Posts: 12
    Just got my 2005 Crossfire Limited Roadster, first sports car since my 64' TR-4, since those tops leaked like sieves protecting the top from the sun and rain is important to me; also have heard the black bearing surface tape (under the top) on the rear panel needs protection...any suggestions on what to use?
    Since I was just at the dealers here is the latest info I heard...taking orders for 2006, $15,000 discounts on all 2005's in stock, 2006 will not have 7/70..only 3/36. Got mine for $15K off and extended warranty beyond 7/70.
  • 1dkupp1dkupp Member Posts: 4
    I just priced a 2005 Limited Roadster and was given $5000. off. Can you tell me what city and state you got the $15K deal.
    Thanks!
  • riley34riley34 Member Posts: 12
    Not sure 1st response went thru...purchased at Maroone in Coconut Creek, FL. They have only coupes, SRT left, but with 15K disc.
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Just came back from a blast of a test drive of an SRT-6 Roadster. Fast as a car needs to be and corners well enough, at least on the curvey back roads we drove.

The Salesman said that according to his information (he's a fleet mgr.) there won't be any 2006's sold in the USA.

Having said that my reality check was that the Crossfire doesn't come with a spare. Made sense I guess -- there's a fix kit int e trunk that will get you to a dealership where you can buy a replacement tire.

I guess that's a good idea - would anyone want to drive a high performance car like it should be driven on a repaired tire?

That snapped me out of my delusion -- I'm used driving an SUV and getting a minimum of 40,000 miles on a set of tires. I guess I need a different kind of car to bridge fill the gap between an SUV & a sports conventable.

TTFN
    Meegwell

It woke me up from my delusion that I
    Most Salesman and Managers (Fleet or otherwise) know very little about these cars. There will /are 2006 SRT6's, as well as Limited and Base models. There is no change for the SRT's and the only change for the Limited is the addition of 2 new colors and no change for the Base models.
  • 1truenthusiast1truenthusiast Member Posts: 3
    Hey there, aren't these cars (Chrysler Crossfire) only available with candy-[non-permissible content removed] automatic transmissions? Where do we get off calling them "sports" cars? When did we as Americans get so lame that Nissan 350Z's, Corvettes, and Lexus SC430's even come with automatics? Give me a clutch and at least five speeds, and THAT makes a sports car!
  • 1truenthusiast1truenthusiast Member Posts: 3
    All apologies on my part to think that any of the real enthusiasts on this board would own an anachronism like an automatic sports car. I was just told by my friend the Mopar enthusiast that the Crossfire is now available with a six-speed.

Apologies to any of you who have the six-speed.