Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Crossfire

Comments

• ccmccmccmccm Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading the reviews on here for about a month i finally read every article and review from everyone and want to say thank you one week ago i purchased a 2005 crossfire limited aero blue with vanilla leather it was delivered yesterday , what an amazing car i have a 2001 tahoe and my wife has an suv this is a third car for us and i was blown away , stunning the colors handles well and excellant allover plenty of power i will be turning 33 in a few months so this is a great way to celbrate thanks again for all the reviews and helpful information
    the convertible top is smooth and the price awesome i live in pensacola florida but purchased it in colorado the price here on the beaches was over 35 to 40 thousand for what i wanted i boought the car for under 25 thousand delivered thanks again
  • 1truenthusiast1truenthusiast Member Posts: 3
    Yes, but did you get a real man't sports car (standard tranny) or an automatic for your wife? These fine cars should not even be sold with an automatic!
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Can you let us know what dealer sold you the convertible for $25,000 delivered I might be interested in that deal. I live in fort lauderdale FL. We are talking about a new 2005 not a used one ?
  • ccmccmccmccm Member Posts: 2
    i purchased the the convertible in englewood colorado at longmont chrysler it has 3200 miles on it they were very friendly and helpful
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    On chrysler site you need the zip code. I did a search for longmontchrsler.com and it did not come up. If I could get the zip code I can find it on the Chrysler site.
    THANKS
  • dobrodobro Member Posts: 9
    In a parody of the Britney Spears baby endangerment pix, Comedy Central "Photo Shopped " two pictures of John Stewart in a Crossfire , top down, holding a baby up in a "Statue of liberty" pose, then a shot of him JUGGLING three infants from behind the wheel of a yummy black Roadster Limited. The CC website doesn't have these pix yet;I need 'em for my wallpaper!
  • srtbeemsrtbeem Member Posts: 8
    Hello all, new to forum.Just took delivery of a black srt6 roadster.Wondering if anyone knows where I can find production run figures on srt6's.
    thanks
    Noel
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    Longmont Chrysler is out of Crossfires. Called this morning.
    Still thinking about one of these. Damn it was fun to drive.
    meegwell
  • xfireroadsterxfireroadster Member Posts: 81
    look at the last 6 digits of your VIN, this your build number. This will give you a good starting point. For example my build number is 032195, my Roadster Limited wes number 32,195 to roll off the assembly line.
    Thanks,I found an article that stated Chrysler has not released the production numbers of srt's but industry people estimate the figure on srt6 to be "below 1000 units".The dealer thought the number of srt6 was close to 5000 and was astounded at the estimate.He estimates the number of roadsters to be no more than 1/3 of the total.
    Just returned from the dealer where I purchased my black srt6 roadster to have the second key programmed.They have one metallic grey srt6 coupe in the showroom.Anyone interested they are willing to deal.Located in Milwaukee Wi.
    Did the dealer charge you for programming the key? The reasson I ask is that... I know for a fact that the key comes pre-programmed from the factory, and people have been paying anywhere from $40.00 - $90.00 for key programming. If the key is out of synch all you do is open the drivers side door and hit "lock" and "unlock" and the key is re - syncronized.
    No,the second key was included with the car when I bought it last week but they lost the original second one.They thought it had to come from factory in Germany and would take 2-3 weeks but it came in three days from MB north America in Texas
  • niki4niki4 Member Posts: 13
    i'm trying to figure out how the top is suppose to work. i tested 1 that was so hard to close even a muscle bound salesman had difficulty, it stopped about 8 inches from the windshield and looks almost like it was hinged. and decided not to buy the crossfire. yesterday i tested another one w/top that closes up to about 3 inches above the windshield and requires only childlike strength to close. i got concerned b/c i read an article that describes the top as stopping about 8 inches from the car. neither of the tops i saw make any noise. 1 trick if you are not strong enough to close convertible top - reach left hand out of driver side window and pull down from outside; it usually works on very tough convertibles.

anyone have any thoughts - i of the tops has to be busted or set wrong, but which one.
  • niki4niki4 Member Posts: 13
    how is the reliability and service been? any problems? esp if you have put up big miles on the car. considering crossfire convertible as commuter car in new englad for 150 mile/day commute (that's right - about 45k miles a year, rain, ice or snow). i was contemplating a solara but fell in love with the crossfire. consumer reports show transmission problems. also any reports on how it does in the bad weather, ice or snow? salesperson was tryng to say that ESP system should prevent bad slides. i would probably get snow tires.

anyone manage to replace cupholder w/a real one :)

thx for any imput.
    When I first closed mine it had been sitting in the showroom for a while with the top down.It was a little tough to pull it down but after having it with the top up for a week or so and opening and closing a few times it's getting easier.The fabric is pretty tight when they first put it on but it stretches out after a while.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    LMAO. How true! I'm now in the old fart stage at age 57. Just bought a Hyundai Sonata 11 months ago. It's a great car for me, but not a sports car. Love the looks of the Crossfire.

I bought a new Volvo (P)1800E in 1971. THAT was a sports car. And I agree with you. An 1800E with auto trans was candy-[non-permissible content removed]. Back then nobody would think of calling an AT car a sports car, except maybe some women.
  • xfire1xfire1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone...saw this message board for other Crossfire owners...I have a 6 speed 2004 Crossfire and I LOVE IT!! But lately the check engine light has been going on at least once a month (I have only owned the car for a year) and everytime I go into the dealership they say they don't know what the problems is...HELLO they made this car and they can't FIX IT?? Anyone else have this issue??
  • qlscottqlscott Member Posts: 1
    I just got my new SRT6 Roadster....yes yes yes! This car is only if you must be noticed by everyone! Other than that drives like the Benz and yes you'll hve same issues as Benz (if any).
  • molearymoleary Member Posts: 9
    Congrats moparfever! More info please though! What did you pay, (not including taxes and registration)???

We want the 411!

Sort of goes with the forum! ;)
  • squat6squat6 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 Crossfire base model. Every once in a while when I have the inside fan on and I stop a traffic light, a slight oil burning smell will enter the car. It happens with no frequency and on average about once every 3 weeks. The dealer has looked at it twice with no success. The car is completely dry - no leaks. It appears to come from the left side (driver) of the engine. I even called Mercedes with no luck. The car only has 4000 miles and I have changed the synthetic oil and filter twice. Any ideas?
    Next time it happens check under the hood.Are there any vehicles in front of you when it happens?
    Under Hood is dry and clean. Under car is completely dry. Even changed the oil twice (at 100 plus a pop). And there are no cars in front of me. Dealer seems to think it is still "new car residue" burning off. I have read other forums where owners also have the same problem. I even had the dealer 23 point inspection done twice just for the heck of it. I give up. They say it will clear. Car runs strong and the oil is clean!
    That was my initial thought,residue cats, heat guards, ect.
  • gumtreeflgumtreefl Member Posts: 9
    I just took over a lease on a 2005 Roadster. Driving from Atlanta to Florida on I-75, the car started bucking so badly that I had to pull over. A couple hours later it happened again, but a little less severe. A little later, stopped at an interesection and it was running rough, almost seemed like it was going to die. Thought perhaps I got some bad fuel on the way down from Atlanta. A week later, the car stalled at an intersection; restarted ok. Today I was waiting to make a turn at an intersection and it felt like it was losing power and about to stall; was able to coast onto my street - thank goodness the traffic wasn't heavy. Original lessee denies any problems while under his 'ownership'. Car had 14,500 miles when I took it over. I have it scheduled for service this Tuesday. Any advice so that I can have it taken care of corectly the first time.
    I just took over a lease on a 2005 Roadster. Driving from Atlanta to Florida on I-75, the car started bucking so badly that I had to pull over. A couple hours later it happened again, but a little less severe. A little later, stopped at an interesection and it was running rough, almost seemed like it was going to die. Thought perhaps I got some bad fuel on the way down from Atlanta. A week later, the car stalled at an intersection; restarted ok. Today I was waiting to make a turn at an intersection and it felt like it was losing power and about to stall; was able to coast onto my street - thank goodness the traffic wasn't heavy. Original lessee denies any problems while under his 'ownership'. Car had 14,500 miles when I took it over. I have it scheduled for service this Tuesday. Any advice so that I can have it taken care of corectly the first time.
  • buggy4crossfirbuggy4crossfir Member Posts: 3
    Check the other crossfire forums. I do believe this was recently talked about on the big forum.
    Thanks .. couldn't find more than this one.
  • buggy4crossfirbuggy4crossfir Member Posts: 3
    Try this thread on the major crossfire forum, just found what i was talking about. http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9961. hope it helps.
    Got there ... very interesting. Car goes to dealership Tuesday, but after reading those posts I'm not convinced they'll fix the problem. Makes me think twice about purchasing the car at lease end!
    Marc,

Glad to see you are here!

CrossfireLTD
    Check your gas cap!!!
  • hiflierhiflier Member Posts: 1
    Been having too much fun driving to write the forum...

Picked up my 05 Black SRT-6 Roadster last Friday...
    Sticker was for $51,320 with Nav Radio & All Season Tires,
    81 dealer miles on the odometer, paid $39.5K.

I had the dealer install the illuminated sill plates & the wind blocker, got the slush mats & the Chrysler Winged Badge mats too which I swapped in for the originals 'cause they look better!

Have only put about 400 miles on the car so far, but have averaged 22+mpg to this point (half & half, top up & down).

Initial impression... one of the best purchases I have ever made!
  • luvmyroadsterluvmyroadster Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad to find this forum. picked up an 05 Limited Roadster in Feb, paid about 30K, 12K under MSRP (otherwise I'd be in the Miata forum right now). For the dollars spent, an awesome ride. I've loved the design since it came out, and to drive on every day is wonderful. I'm in Indiana, so we're getting more top down days now. I did get the recall notice, and dealer has to order the part then call me for appt. Has anyone else had the recall work done?
    I am looking to replace the inserts in my base frontend with foglights - possibly with smoked lenses. Does anyone know where to get foglights that will fit like originals other than ordering directly from Chrysler?
  • xfire2xfire2 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2004 Crossfire 3 weeks ago. I noticed when I'm at a stoplight with my foot on the brake, a whirring noise comes from the engine. When I take off, the sound goes away..it only makes the sound when I'm in drive, with my foot on the brake. I took it in to the dealer yesterday, and they told me maybe a bearing got in the alternator, and replaced it. They said it still makes the noise (it does), and they said they tested other Crossfires, and they make that noise too, so that must be the way they all are. Does anyone else have this noise problem? Any ideas what this could be?
  • mrmoparmrmopar Member Posts: 2
    The Crossfire has several "air system" on it. Under the hood, you have an air pump for emissions. In the cabin, there is a separate air system that is used for the locking system. I hear a whirring sound from time to time, it is nothing to worry about unless it never goes away. It seems to be more noticeable on a vehicle not frequently driven than one driven everyday.

Enjoy the car!
  • mrmoparmrmopar Member Posts: 2
    IF there is a 2006 built, it will be built in very limited quantities. Chrysler is already in negotiations with Karmann for idled plant capacity.

That said; think about this for a minute. With a 17K unit max production per year, you’re talking maybe 51K units total produced so far for the US. Chrysler builds 16K 300's alone a month for example. It is a very limited production run overall. Plus, they were able to revamp a majority of the former SLK320 platform which no doubt helped Daimler overseas with it's suppliers.

If Daimler lost $5K for the last 20K units built, that would be $100 million dollars. Their goal with the Crossfire was to elevate the Chrysler image. I think they have done that and more. How much publicity has this car had since its concept debut? I am not talking advertising, but media exposure. You certainly could not purchase anywhere near the media time this car has experienced for the amount that Daimler might lose. I think they are doing exactly what they intended, the Crossfire was a big advertising venture for the Chrysler Group, and I think it has done rather well in that regard for DCX.

I love my car; it is fantastic, unique, fun, reliable, and just plain looks better than anything else on the road. I don't care if they never build another one, I have mine, and I'm gonna keep it. Why, unless they build the Firepower, I don't think there will be anything as artistically styled for a very long time.

Mr MoPar
  • rhp1114rhp1114 Member Posts: 1
    I did something really stupid and don't want my husband to know. We recently purchase a new 2005 Crossfire Roadster and being the good wife that I am, I decided to wash the car. Decided to leave the convertible top part way up to make sure it dried and everything else dried before putting the top completely down. Now a day later,I tried to make the top go down or up and it won't do either.
    The light on the switch on the console to raise and lower top is flashing. Can anyone tell me what to do? Yes, I am a Blonde. LOL I tried calling the dealer and all they said was bring it in...even a dumb blonde knows she can't drive the car to the dealer with the top part up.
    Thought you might be interested in the outcome .. original guy had a "Velocity Performance Module" put on engine; somehow this was causing the mass air flow sensor to misfire (?) - mechanic remarked it looked like a 'kid' did the install as they cut into one of the hoses. Cost me $142 to diagnose/remove/repair; all done in one day. Not a problem since then! Followed up with original owner; said he 'forgot about it' and it never caused him any problems. He added that the Chrysler mechanic in GA did the install 'on the side'.
  • foilfoil Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Just bought a crossfire and have just noticed the left hand side of the interior light is not working properly, could be a loose connection or needs a new bulb, can someone tell me how to open the cover to get to the bulb.
    many thanks
    Alan
    Just as a follow up...turned out to be an oil seepage problem - the valve cover gasket on the left side of the engine. I noticed it because the smell turned into smoke. Chrysler had the car 3 times and could not find it. I finally did. It is getting fixed (hopefully).
  • xfire2xfire2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the helpful info!!
  • raywilliamsraywilliams Member Posts: 1
    Answers sound very disappointing. Just ordered a 2005 Crossfire Limited with GPS. Shocking to hear that a visual mapping screen is not included. No wonder there are no pictures on the www, I wouldn’t have spent $1200 for just text and voice. What a rip-off!
    First,make sure the windows are all the way down.Also check to make sure the divider in the trunk is up in its locked position in the slots on both sides.
  • mprice1mprice1 Member Posts: 1
    Live in the UK, just bought a 2004 crossfire, love it. But need to think with my head for a minute - I would like to know if anyone has fitted the luggage cover? If so, is it a good aftermarket part? Does it fit well and did you have dealer fit it? Again if so how long did it take them? Car is pretty rare in the UK and local dealers cannot answer any of these questions - just want to be sure they wont rip me off. any avice would be greatly received
    Use a jewelers screwdriver and pry the lens cover off, there are 2 screws that need to be removed and the light will come off but will still be attached by the wires. If the bulb is blown consider your self lucky (more likly to be a short/defect), had mine changed under warranty at a cost of $185.00 to DChrysler. I had the same problem that you describe and I also know of others also, all changed/replaced under warranty. If your XFire is still under warranty you are covered, check with Allpar to see if there is a TSB for this problem.
    What do you mean by part way up?.....Just unlatched or part way retracted with the tonneau cover open? If it was just left unlatched there should be no problem. Now if was left partly retracted with the tonneau cover open and you engaged the switch, the top should have closed (up position) itself, and the tonneau cover should have closed after 15 minutes to the point right before latching itself and your switch will flash. Here are 2 things that might help: 1)Start the car and try to close the top rather than retracting it. 2) disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and then reconnect the battery and then try to retract the top. I some times leave my top partly retracted at car shows and after 15 minutes the top will close (the up position) itself to point right before latching the tonneau cover.
    Hope this helps!!!
  • dobrodobro Member Posts: 9
    My tire warning light worked like a charm. I was shocked to learn that I had a cracked rim . $320.00, back in business. I just wanted to gripe.
  • beebababeebaba Member Posts: 1
    I bought the luggage cover. I plan to install it myself. It comes with templates for cutting the holes through the cargo liner (and I presume there are threaded holes for the bolts underneath the liner). It's hard to tell because the instructions are all illustrations, without any words. I haven't installed it yet, but it seems like it's foolproof for someone with even rudimentary mechanical skills. By the way, my local dealer here in the states is as mystified as yours might be by Crossfires.