Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• actdactd Member Posts: 12
    Plashenick,

I also bought my SL from Freehold Nissan last year. Every time I hit a pothole or drive on a bumpy road I hear a click coming from the third row seat.

Please keep us informed when DCH has successfully fixed the rattle for your Quest. Thanks.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    Will keep you updated on third row rattle. Still awaiting the 7-cust. satisfaction items.

A word on what Bowke28 stated above, ..."so i guess they gave you a best-case scenario. they are not lying or anything...they are just not giving you the whole story."

Technically speaking, and as Congress stated back in 1983, "Failure to tell the whole truth constitutes a lie." I am not trying to split hairs. But if someone only told me the optimistic dates of 6-8 weeks (which appear to encompass the short & long dates, and I got delivery in 12-14 weeks I would rightly feel deceived, especially if the dealer knew this was a very real possibility. Sounds like a person there would be trying to salvage "the deal" at the expense of the customer.

Maybe if the dealer were frank about delivery schedules customers would not need to find alternatives choices, especially considering information, like what is available here, is somewhat available.
  • phillipm1phillipm1 Member Posts: 21
    Automotive News (www.autonews.com) ran this article this past week, "Nissan to Repair Quest. Automaker struggles with minivan's slow sales and quality issues. Nissan North America Inc. is recalling its slow-selling, redisgned Quest minivan to address quality problems. Nissan began issuing recall letters this month to thousands of 2004 Quest owners, informing them that dealerships will fix the defects free of chage." Has anyone received this "recall" letter yet form Nissan?
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    bowke28, Your response sounds like a Sgt. Schultz "I know nothing", or a Edward E. Neumann (Mad Magazine) "What, me worry?", or an emperor without clothes, or an ostrich with his head in the sand. Your employer, if you're a Nissan rep., writes a recall because of defects and your response is "what defects". Either you're completely in the blind or else Nissan USA isn't conveying its sentiment down to your level. Nissan USA issues this recall but you're completely oblivious to anything it pertains to. That's sad! I respect Nissan for "bellying up to the bar" and trying to correct problems that the Quest minivan obliviously has. I can't respect your comment of "what defects". Automotive News is a respected insider type automotive publication that caters primarily to the automotive industry. I tried to "pull up" the entire article pertaining to the Quest recall but was unable to unless I was a $100 a yr. subscriber. Maybe your dealership is a subscriber and can read the article in its entirety. All I was inquiring about was if anyone had yet received the recall letter from Nissan. Maybe it lists the defects that Nissan USA is so concerned about. When, and if, Nissan finally lets you see this recall list you'll know what defects they're referring to.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We show 2 recalls and 25 TSBs for the '04 Quest. TSBs aren't necessarily defects, but I'd think that a recall would fall under that definition.

link

Steve, Host
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    phillipm1: Don't be so hard on bowke28. I'm sure he meant "What defects" as if saying "please eloborate on which items they are referring to". Nissan is fixing 9 items but not all items affect each van. I've been told by the delaership that my van qualifies for 3 of the 9 items and that I should receive a letter within the next couple of weeks.

To get the exact items that they are fixing, I believe this website will gvie you some information:

http://nissanhelp.com/News/Quest%20Satisfaction%20Initiative.htm
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I purchased my 2004 Quest in July of 2003. My wife and I loved everything about the van and really wanted one with a skyview roof. We did not, however want leather seating and a few other things the SE had, so we settled on the SL. Despite some of the issues many of us have experienced, we have really enjoyed this van. Wouldn't you know 10 months after we bought our Quest they decide to offer skyview roof as an option on the SL.
       Well, we decided to bite the bullet, yea lose a bit of money, and we traded in our 2004 Quest SL for an SL with the skyview roof. We plan on keeping the van for a long time and felt it was worth getting what we really wanted. The rattles appear to be gone, though we are still dealing with the silent radio and the transmission issue. Both are supposed to be solved soon.
      Anyway, last week I recieved a letter in the mail from Nissan referring to our first Quest, which according to the vin# was the 3,083 one built. The letter explained the recall for the airbag sensor and the recall for the door that was opening while driving. that was the first part of the letter. The second part of the letter went on to explain the Quest customer Satisfaction Initiative, what it covers and the time period in which the repairs would be made free of charge. Perhaps this is the letter the Automotive News article was refering to.
    dude, lighten up. i was asking what defect your letter referred to, because I KNEW there were 2 recalls.

when you go on a car lot, you run away from salespeople, dont you???
    Dtownfb knew what you meant but I took it as a blanket denial of defects too.

And yeah, if I'm just kicking tires, I run the other way on the lot. I do my buying by fax or email. I like to have the puffing in writing :-)

Steve, Host
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The reason I knew he meant it that way is he (or she) has been inv9lved in many of the conversations on this board. So i assumed he was kidding when he said that. Of course like you and phillipm1, I have run into salesman who deny everything and frustrate you to no ends. So I can see how you viewed his remarks negatively.

phillipm1: The dealerships and service departments do know about this initiative. You will get a letter by the end of the month that will explain what items your Quest qualifies for. I believe Nissan is referring to this as an upgrade or service initiative rather then a recall. As long as they fix it, I can care less what they call it. it seems to address all the items we on this board have complained about sans the transmission/acceleration issue. Supposingly, tha is coming down the pike.

So I applaud Nissan for their efforts and for stepping up to the plate. It would be nice if they gave us an extended warranty on the vehicle. Sort of the icing on the cake. But I can dream.
    Bowke28, No offence towards you intended on my behalf. Yes, I've been burned enough at auto stealerships that I do try to avoid any and all salesmen. Defects is an especially sensitive area because I now dread going in for service. The name Service Dept. is a true oxymoron. You go in for a repair that is quite obvious and you spend an hour or two having to prove that you really have a problem. Like you really go there because it's such a fun place to visit. My wife's van developed a loud, grinding sound in the windshield wiper motor. Very noticeable to anyone who rode in the van. The salesman we bought this van from asked that we go through him first for any problems that might occur. His reaction after listening to the wiper, "I don't hear a grinding sound". Got another salesman to listen and his response, "they all sound like that". Went to a new van on their lot and ran the wipers. Quiet and smooth as silk. Finally got the Service Dept. to install a new motor and that solved the problem. Why didn't they do that in the first place without all the extra hassle and frustration. Nissan is doing the right thing with the Quest recall. I only hope that the Service and Sales Depts. treat the van owners with a little courtesy and respect and none of the, "what defect, I don't know of any defects with this perfectly built vehicle. You prove to me that you actually have a problem". Nissan USA has publicly admitted that there are problems and defects with the Quest, Titan, and Armada models being built at the Canton mfg. plant. Let's hope they can correct the problems on those that have already been sold and that they can keep the ones being built from having defects and problems. The publicity regarding these problems isn't helping you any in trying to sell them and existing owners' resale value is certain to be diminished by the negative reports of shoddy construction. Peace!
    There is an article about the Quest poor sales/quality issues at Autoweek Online.
    www.autoweek.com
  • nextvan1nextvan1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a SE with Nav. I read through the manual and can't find a way to mute the voice guidance, if possible. Right now we can't use the Nav when the kids are napping in the car. The voice is still too lound for them, even we set it to a soft volumn already.

Any help please? Thanks!
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Well, we went looking at vans yesterday and ended up with a new 2004 Quest SE. It was a demo with 2300 miles. DVD player, Autumn Red, beige leather, floor mats. The sticker was $35,200, after trading in our Chevy Astro with 95k miles, out the door price was $25,094. Seemed more than fair to me! We love the van. It is super quite. We think the complaints of rattles, etc. is due to the overall quiteness of the van. You can almost hear a whisper from the front to back! The ride is super smooth, and it drives like a Maxima. We are very impressed and very pleased with our 'demo' find! The VIN is 484xx, so, I think it will be fine. Only owned 24+hours, but, reset the Avg.MPG counter, and so far drove almost 300 miles. The Avg is running at 22 MPG, which is a mix of city/highway. BTW, I was shocked at how busy the Nissan dealer was. They had so many salesmen presenting deals that there was hardly anywhere to sit. There were people in the lot waiting on someone to help them. The cleanup line consistently had 5 or 6 cars in the line. Nissan sure seems to be moving the vehicles.
  • mojo14mojo14 Member Posts: 3
    I am considering purchasing a 2004 Nissan Quest. One of my neighbors just bought one and I am concerned about the height of the Lift Gate. When the van is parked in their garage, and they open the lift gate (with the garage door open) the lift gate hits the bottom or back side of the garage door. Obviously this will cause scratches and damage to the Lift Gate. They asked the dealer and were told nothing could be done about this. They did not have this problem with their 2000 Chrysler van and I do not have it with my 2000 Sienna. I can see that I would have the same problem if I bought a 2004 Quest. Is there a possible correction for this? IE; can the struts be adjusted so that the Lift Gate does not raise so high? Or is this something that will be corrected in the 2005 model? Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • 2004quest2004quest Member Posts: 13
    You should be seing a toggle window in the extreme left corner in Navigation Voice Volume Control menu which is turned on and off with the 'enter' button. Orange means the voice is on where as white means it is off.
  • park3850park3850 Member Posts: 10
    Try pulling further into the garage. There is no way to change the length of the vehicle!

jb
  • mtfmtf Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Quest SE has a problem with the AC. Two times while driving long distances the AC has "frozen" up. The air will still flow on the passenger side and in the rear vents (and is cool from the compressor), but not out of the two driver's vents. I turned the fan to high and moved the air flow pattern to see if it would fix the problem and it still moves no air on the driver's side. After the car is off for a bit (15 min or so)it works fine again. Anyone else with this problem, or is this one of those fluke things that I will take to the dealer and they won't be able to identify it. Both days it happened, it was humid outside.
    Try a search in Nissan Quest 2004+ Problems too.

Steve, Host
  • mwcoxmwcox Member Posts: 13
    I was told, by two different dealers, that the first few hundred Nissan Quest that came off the assembly line in MS was the Nissan 'Copper' color used on the 350Z and others. I remember that the first Quest I saw at the dealer over a year ago was copper. No, this isn't the Autumn Red, it was copper. Is this true? Anyone know?
    I have to disagree with Karl regarding the car seat installation. If he had a newer car seat that implemented the LATCH restraints, he wouldn't have to use the seatbelt. We have one child in the LATCH car seat, on the passenger side second row captains chair. It was very easy to install and the entire system is contained on the seat. So, you can still tilt the seat, even with a child strapped in, to access the rear seats if needed. As advised in all the NHTSA materials regarding car seats, ensure that the car seat you purchase fits well in your car and that you can fasten it securely. All car seats don't fit all cars. The LATCH system greatly simplifies this task. LATCH seats in the Quest are the two second row captains seats along with the center position of the rear seat for a total of 3.
    In regards to driving, I feel that it handles very similar to the Honda. I believe they are both a drivers van and inspire a sporty driver oriented experience. They feel in contact with the road and offer nice feedback, giving the driver confidence. I didn't like the Grand Caravan and the Sienna's handling as they felt as if they weren't in contact with the road and offered little driver feedback.
  • awesome9againawesome9again Member Posts: 10
    I love the Quest. It is an awesome vehicle. I wanted to trade my 01 Grand Caravan for an SUV and I'm glad I didn't. Sure, the sliding doors rattled but I just had them fixed today and it is whisper quiet on the inside. The dash and console are very intuitive. The kids love the Skyview roof. It also has the best V6 in the world under the hood. Everybody is resistant to change. Nissan needs to do a better job at getting the word out and getting people to at least step inside a Quest. I believe it is the best minivan on the market by far. Let's hear from other proud owners.
  • octaneoctane Member Posts: 1
    Couldn't agree with you more!!! I've had my SE for five months and had the rattles fixed too. No biggie, at least it wasn't my tranny like my 2002 at Ody 23,000 miles. I drove the Sienna, Caravan, Venture, MPV, Freestar and none drove as exciting and steady as the Quest. I was once blinded and forgiving to flaws based on in-demand cars to be "in." No more, I review a car on its merit. I still don't see what others find in the Sienna, IT'S UGLY and PLAIN!!! The Quest is a hidden treasure and I'm glad I didn't pay attention to the negative posts. Cheap Plastic, hard to read odometer? Not in my Quest!!!
  • awesome9againawesome9again Member Posts: 10
    Excellent. I drove the Odyssey and the Sienna and they could not convince me to trade my Caravan in for either of them. I already had a boring, typical minivan. The Quest is solid and fun to drive and abundantly smarter and sexier looking than any other minivan. Check all the specs before you buy and then take them all out for a drive. If you're going to pay 40K+ (CDN) for a less-than comparably equipped Caravan or a Freestar without even looking at the Quest then you need to check yourself into the nearest institution.

Cheers.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Our SE was purchased in December and we do enjoy driving it on long and short trips. We frequenlty pack it up with 2 adults, 3 kids, small dog, 5 bikes and lots of stuff for visiting in-laws. The Quest is comfortable, roomy and responsive. As an engineer, I hate to say I "love" the vehicle and I am quite surprised that the Edmunds long-term test continues to have an editor, Karl, say he "hates" the gauges as a major reson for disliking the overall van. The gauges are slightly different but should take no more than 2 minutes to adjust to IF YOU TRY.

I just took my van in for the "customer satisfaction" fixes and hope to have the rattles fixed, which were my biggest concerns.

Yes, the "differnet factor" was important. It's an attractive vehicle if you like contemporary style.
    Last I checked, Karl owned an Odyssey. Maybe he's biased. :-)

Apparently Karl has hated center consoles for years so I doubt we're going to change his mind, but you're welcome to try:

Letters to the Editors

Steve, Host
  • golden_sgolden_s Member Posts: 19
    The Quest was rated as having the best rollover rating among 2004 minivans!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/nhtsa/announce/press/pressdisplay.cfm?ye- ar=2004&filename=pr34-04.html
  • ciracira Member Posts: 37
    We have a 2004 Quest SE with about 11,000 miles on it. We would like to buy an extended warranty. Does anyone know of the best dealer to buy one from in terms of price? I shopped dealers for an extended warranty on a Mercedes two years ago and found a dealer in CA that was selling factory warranties at 2/3 the list price. Anyone know of any Nissan dealers who like to make their customers happy in this way?
  • beffy100beffy100 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where the fuse block is located on the Quest???
  • chlopchlop Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you can add the in-cabin micro filter? Is it just a matter of buying a filter and installing it?
    Anyone know where this subwoofer is located? Sounds like the passenger rear side of the van, but, not sure.
  • newquestcanucknewquestcanuck Member Posts: 13
    Can you get roof rack crossbars installed on an SL? Can you get them from the dealer or aftermarket? I'd prefer to get them from the dealer if so, anyone know how much?

NQC
  • questilquestil Member Posts: 5
    You can get cross bars on SL. Dealer asked for $450 but ready to sell for $250. On SE this is standard.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Does the rear power liftgate door both power open and close, or just power open and manual close? Is the control on remote key fob?
    Thanks.
  • park3850park3850 Member Posts: 10
    Both opens and closes. The control is on the remote key fob as well as the cabin control panel.
  • hmomexhmomex Member Posts: 34
    Any date on the 2005 Quest release?
  • sstrz1sstrz1 Member Posts: 28
    Yes you can.... run a search on google "Nissan Quest crossbars"... you'll find a web sight for $127, genuine Nissan parts.
    Nissan design chief says Quest minivan styling went too far (AutoWeek)

Looks like some in here were quoted....

Steve, Host
    2004 Quest SE
    We love the exterior styling of our Quest. I don't think the styling has gone too far as we enjoy 'not' driving a jelly bean car. So many of the vans just blend in and are so anonymous. If I had to drive a van, and I do with three kids, I wanted a vehicle that stood out from the crowd, got noticed, and represented something different. All our friends, that drive other vans/suvs, love and envy our van. The three comments we hear over and over from them are, I love the way it looks, its really powerful and handles like a car, and, it sure is quite.
    I think there are several issues that are preventing customers from looking to Nissan for a van.
    1) Advertising - I don't think that Nissan did enough to tell the world that they now make a full size, one of, if not the largest, stylish van. They didn't convey the 'I want it and have to have it' mentality to the family genre. They seemed to chase after Carrie Bradshaw, Samantha Jones, Charlotte York, and Miranda Hobbes of Sex and the City (HBO). The 'real' moms know that there is much more to a van than sophisticated sheek, which was heavily advertised. It is about functionality, usability, utility, all of which this van has, but, isn't conveyed to the potential customer. Read the articles and you'll soon realized that even many automotive journalist don't realized the the second row seats in a Quest fold flat. Most articles give credit to the DaimlerChrysler vehicles as the only vans with fold flat second row seats. What about the fact that the Quest has rear vented disc brakes. I don't think any other van has that, but, have you seen it marketed anywhere?
    2) Inventory - Most dealers have fewer than 10 vans on their lot. A large dealer in our area currently has 6 of the same color on the lot. Why not try to ensure that most dealers have at least a choice of colors and models. Look at the DaimlerChrysler lots, they are full of vans.
    3) Interior - Many of the interior colors are way too light for family use. Family's look at the carpet and seats and image that spilled chocolate ice cream and how easy it will clean up. You don't put light great carpet at the front door of your home, so, why would you want it in your vehicle especially if you have children. The center console, wow, what a controversy here. I think it could be improved with larger buttons. With larger buttons and larger text on the buttons, you could find the appropriate button quickly while driving. Also, the OD off button needs to be removed from the shifter. Maybe place that on the dash, afterall, how many people really use that on a regular basis. The angle of the console is one in which a woman with long fingernails would respect. You push all the buttons with the pad of your finger, not the tip of your finger. We have never really figured out the need for the joystick control, it is seldom used except during initial setup/preference changes.
    4) Dealer training - Nothing bugs me more than a salesman that doesn't know what he is selling. I am an automotive enthusiast, and know my stuff when it comes to cars and I don't even work in the automotive industry. I enjoy quizzing the salesmen/dealerships, and am always amazed at the lack of knowledge many of these folks have. If this is your primary job, shouldn't you be required to know your products inside and out? If you knew this information, wouldn't it be easier to sell the vehicle?
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Hey Steve,

Autoweek quoted my post in the number 1274 in the Chevrolet Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza discussion!

Do I get any prize, reward, or just 15 seconds of anonymous fame? :)
    Kewl, that was your goofy quote!

:-)

Steve, Host
    I guess that 15 seconds of anonymous fame is all I get.........oh well, such is life.
    Next time you're in Boise I'll buy you a latte!

Steve, Host
    Make that a straight black coffee and maybe I'll take you up some day, though I don't know when I will get to Boise. I ingest too many calories as it is, so thanks, but no latte.
    I agree with Famof3kids. I don't think they went too far with the exterior or interior styling. My wife and I have two kids and weren't even willing to consider a mini van until we saw the Quest. The style was the #1 reason we bought it. I guess, in that respect, Nissan's advertising succeeded and has succeeded in attracting some consumers, like us, who might not normally consider a mini van. Once we had the van I was blown away with the functionality and utility of a mini van. The functionality and utility of mini vans is why most people buy mini vans. In their advertising these things are either in small print or a fleeting image in a commercial. Lets just look at some of their advertising campaigns.

" Moms have changed. Shouldn't the minivan." Mom's haven't changed that much, have they? One thing is for sure, what mom's need out of a mini van hasn't changed. The Quest makes the things mom ( and dad ) need from a mini van far easier than ever before. This fact is over shadowed by the emphasis on styling.

" The Quest doesn't forget that mom and dad are lovers" I'm not kidding. This was an add in the car magazines. I saw it in Car and Driver. I guess this was suppose to appeal to us one track mind men. My wife and I have figured out what we can do in the back of the Quest with kids at my parents and the third and second row folded flat with out an add trying to tell me. Besides, that is not why people buy mini vans. I was, however, amazed by how much a could fit in the fan with all the seats folded flat and that I didn't have to remove any of them.

There was another one trying to sell sex between mom and dad. It was a t. v. commercial with a Quest sitting on the beach on a moon lit night. Mom and dad romantically sitting on the beach. I don't remember the slogan.

"Passion Built It. Passion Will Fill it Up." I did like that add.

We subscribe to Parenting magazine. The Quest was release July 2003. The very first Quest add showed up in May 2004 11 months later. I'd think a magazine like that would be one of the first places they'd advertise. In that 11 months Toyota, Honda, Kia, Chrysler, Ford have all placed ads. They are now emphasizing style and safety. Perhaps this is a sign of a shift in advertizing. One say's " Safety first. With style one millisecond behind." The other is " Safety and Beauty. Finally, a minivan both sides of your brain can agree on."

Minvan buyers have traditionally sacrificed style for functionality. It is obvious that the Quest is uniquly styled. EMPHASIZE the functional aspects of the van and perhaps consumers might come around. I think Nissan should be patient.
  • golden_sgolden_s Member Posts: 19
    I agree with famo3kids and eyeblind. I have 4 kids, the reason we got the Quest (S) is that it is the only minivan with side curtain airbags on all three rows, 4 wheel ventilated disc brakes, traction control, 4 wheel independent suspension....(you get my drift) as standard equipment. And the versatility of the interior, you just can't imagine until you really need to use it. We moved out of our house without renting a huge truck or hiring movers. We were able to fit in a queen size sofa bed in there with lots of room to spare. Not having to remove any seats really made the difference, it was so easy to shift from cargo hauler to family van. By the way that storage bin in front of the steering wheel is where I keep my gas receipts until I file them, how convenient. And that card holder on the steering column, since I don't have navigation is where I put my printout from mapquest, small things that make a difference.

I just noticed lately seeing more Quests on the road here in Jersey City, NJ, in fact a couple of I've recalled being either behind or in front of one in a stoplight.

Long time ago I mentioned in my post that Nissan didn't seem to be doing a good job on advertising the Quest, I think it has proven to be true. They should use quotes from car magazines too, my favorite is from Car and Driver which goes something like this "The Quest manages to be a rarity in the minivan realm-it stirs up emotion".
    You will feel that the moment you take your first drive.