Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• lynnwlynnw Member Posts: 119
    I am surprised as well that nothing is out there to inform consumers. One would think Nissan would have sent something in the mail to the owners. I just purchased mine 2004 Quest on Sept 1, so I would probably not have heard anything, but maybe should have received a call from the salesperson. I think I will e-mail him today and will confirm with him this information. I will post what his response is.
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    Re the extension of warranty on 2004. I have heard nothing either. But, I would think that Nissan is pretty confident about the reliability of the vehicle to do an extended warranty at no additional charge. Perhaps, they are doing it as an incentive to sell the 2004 inventory?

To: lumbar:
         I have to say that your sale with a loss of only $3,500 is exceptional. If yours is any example, I too would agree that the resale value is really good.

I purchased my SL just about a year ago this month. I had the rattle problems in the doors and some other minor problems which were taken care of by my dealer. They have an exceptional repair group. I am an old person and I have purchased my share of new cars mostly Chevrolets (my last four were chevrolets). I traded a chev venture on this Quest.
         This is the first vehicle I have owned, that I can recall, that has been worry-free of new-car problems. It has been such a pleasure to own this vehicle and one that I have enjoyed a lot (I just hope it continues). Knocking on wood!
  • vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    We bought our Quest last September, can't believe it has been a year, van still seems new to me, even after 10,000 miles. We recently did a 9.5 hour road trip (one way, including quick stops for snacks and stuff) and I was as comfortable in the last 10 minutes as I was in the first 10 minutes. I've taken long trips and get out of the car creaking and stretching (I'm pushing 50)
    but felt no discomfort driving the Quest for that long. We averaged 23 mpg, which I thought was impressive. (That included any local driving we did)
    My kids (aged 10 and 15) were not thrilled about the length of the ride but never complained about comfort, an absolute first!
    The amount of stuff we got into the back behind the third row was incredible, and we were recently impressed with what we could get into the van with the seats down on a recent trip to Home Depot.
    We have had a number of problems: among the first to have the intermittent soundless radio, some squeaks, a tranny that shifted hard from 1st to 2nd, but never a problem that affected driving it, so we are still pleased with the van.
    First year problems can be annoying, but anyone considering buying the van now should realize a lot of the kinks have been worked out for newly manufactured vans, and hopefully your experience will be trouble free.
    Vince
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    We bought our in Jan 04 (Sept. 03 build). I go in tomorrow for the Cust Serv. Initiative. This is my third First year car. My lst (with all its problems), a 91 Mercury Capri XR2 lasted 11 years. Before that I had a 90' Probe LX that I sold in 21 months. That had the break system fail five times times. That is a true problem. Not all this minor garbage we have had to put up with, with the exception of the power door problem.

I do like the fit and feel. Even if i reach the magical 20-days in shop for NJ Lemon Law, the most I think I would want is the van replaced, but then I would loose my Green Tea SL - which we do like

You can keep the cookie cutter mini-vans, this is for us!
    My sister finally got to take a ride in my SE this weekend. She owns an '03 Ody and she could not stop playing with my van. She absolutely loved it. She especially liked how wide the seats are and liked the grain of the leather. She really liked it alot. My girlfriend also took a ride and she will be in the market for a minivan soon. She loved it and how many features it had. She really liked the ride and especially like exterior body styling. My opinion is that just not enough people have been exposed to this van. Maybe it is Nissans fault because they have not given it enough exposure because they belive the "hype" of the other van manuf. having a better quality van. I dont believe that and hope the tide turns soon and gives Nissan a fair break on the quality and handling of this vehicle. Maybe the whole problem is with their marketing department.
    I was just told by my salesperson that the warranty has been extended to 5 yr/60K mi. Just in case anyone did not see the posting on the prices paid thread. This is on the '04 only to my knowledge.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    this is ONLY on the '04s.
    Nissan has not changed the warranty on their web site for the 2004 Quest. They still show 36 month/36000 mile coverage with a 5 year/60000 mile powertrain coverage.
    trust me. its extended.
  • ericcpaericcpa Member Posts: 6
    Yes. I can confirm. I am considering an 04 (hoping the rebates are increased a bit) and the salesman called me today and announced the increase in warranty - he was not sure about the 05's and if it would apply. If anyone hears about increased incentives please post. I understand that there is plenty of 04s remaining and the release for the 05's is VERY soon...
  • 2004quest2004quest Member Posts: 13
    I Just confirmed the same with my dealer - 5 yrs bumper to bumper.
  • notcoolnotcool Member Posts: 11
    The extended warranty should be a "standard" for all first year models for all car manufacturers. If the consumers are the "Guinea Pigs" then they should be compensated with an extended warranty.......IMO.
    i dont see why...most issues present themselves early. also, it wouldnt make people any happier. go look at the armada board. nissan has spent thousands of dollars on some of those trucks, and people are still flaming those boards.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I think this is a very nice move on Nissan's part but am I the only one concerned about the people who bought extended warranties based on the original 3/36,000 coverage?
  • notcoolnotcool Member Posts: 11
    You are correct most issues present themselves early but some my linger until your warranty is over. A lot of people will be happier and will help boost their confidence in their first model year vehicle. Many people read this board and hoping that, lets say, the "transmission issue" does not happen to me. We all know Murphy and Nissan is doing the right thing by boosting the confidence in the current 2004 Quest owners. You will never make every single person happy but the warm fuzzy feeling never seems to hurt. If a manufacturer is confident about their product then they should have no problem doing so. Besides, exactly why is Nissan increasing the warranty?
    I, too, am concerned about the extended warranty. When I purchased my 2004 Quest I also purchased from Nissan an extended warranty of 7 years, 100,000 miles that cost me $1,329.
    If Nissan extended the basic to 5 years 60000 miles, I would think that there would be some sort of adjustment in the extended warranty.
    I spoke with a representative at Nissan who advises me that he knows of no plans to make any kind of adjustment to extended warranties.
         If anyone hears anything differently, I would certainly appreciate a post on this thread. Thanks.
  • bmisbmis Member Posts: 14
    gg2k2se:

I am interested in your experience with the "rear hatch leak"...as I think I might have one as well. Where was it and what did the dealer do to fix it? I cannot reproduce my leak with a garden hose, but when it rains, there is a wet area in the carpet along the bottom rear portion of the storage well.

Thanks.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    Well, I'm actually surprised that no one other than us had this issue. For me, the water soaked down the sidewall carpet just under the plastic trim next to the taillight. The water continued into the well area along the rear just as you described. Yes, it only was visible after a particularly heavy rain. After one storm I had about 1/4 of the rear well carpet clearly soaked by water.

My dealer took apart the rear molding and traced the leak to the top edge of the rear hatch area. Right next to each hinge is an "L" shaped piece of rubber-like material painted same color as the body. My dealer said this is meant to cover a weld seam and apparently had a leak. He applied some rubber sealant around this "L" shaped piece as well as some under the black rubber door gasket about half way down the door edge where there is another weld seam. He did both sides.

I've left the van outside during some heavy rains and the problem appears to be fixed, but I will be keeping an eye on it.

Good luck, gg
    I dont have any leaks anywhere in my new Quest. I would have surely seen one too since we ended up driving through the worst part of hurricane Frances in Orlando. Long story dont ask. The point is if there were going to be any leaks, I would have seen it for sure.
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I was at the dealer for service today. My service advisor showed me the letter they recieved from Nissan. It states that:

Early in September, Nissan will be sending a letter to all owners of 2004 Nissan Quest extending the basic coverage of their Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty(NVLW) from 3 years/36,000 miles to 5 years/60,000 miles. All other terms and conditions and limitations of the NVLW will apply to this extended coverage. Along with the letter Nissan will be sending a label to each Quest owner, for them to apply to their Warranty Information Booklet.

One of the great things about this forum is that the network of people is so large, you often hear of things first on this forum. Often times before anything official. This may also lead to discussion and speculation about the validity of some claims. The letter that I read ( my service advisor made a copey for me) should put to rest any speculation on the subject.
    A quick question--- Does the letter mention anything about those buyers who puchased Nissan extended warranties?
    The letter does not mention anything about buyers who purchased extended warranties. It does say that 2004 Nissan Quest owners may contact Consumer Affairs at 800-NISAN1 with questions pertaining to this program.
    Thanks for the information.
  • value911value911 Member Posts: 15
    All,

Is anyone else having rotor problems at early mileage? Dealer tried resurfacing both front and back, but to no avail. Now they are in for full replacement. Engine runs great, but rattles, gas mileage and brakes are disappointing for this van. I went against my previous experience with first year model van(Windstart) and thought the imports would be better. Bottom line - don't buy a first year model. Great news if the warranty is extended though.
    What kind of symptom(s) were you having relating to the rotors?
    Braking above 40MPH would result in serious front end vibration. Letting off the brakes would make the problem cease. Any braking on downhill regardless of speed would cause serious vibrations. Service department said they are making the rotors out of composite material versus metal, so they will wear out quicker. They said the van is too heavy for the rotors, so they will wear out sooner...
    Thanks for that information. I have not had those kind of problems and was just curious as to what they might be. Sounds like some really serious problems.
    Are the rotors going to be replaced under the warranty? Replacement of the rotors can be expensive.
    I had the rattles in both sliders but they were resolved early on.
  • blarneyblarney Member Posts: 9
    I see I'm late on this topic, but I received the letter and sticker in the mail today from Nissan. Extended my warranty from 3/36 to 5/60,000. We have had MAJOR problems with our van (engine, catalytic converter, exhaust replacement) so I wasn't sure if it had to do with that or not. The extension of the warranty was never mentioned in the dozens of phone calls I had with Nissan Consumer Affairs, so I was surprised to receive it.
    I also got my letter and sticker in the mail today.
    I don't know what the "official" name for this color is, but I've seen a couple in my area recently after never seeing any. Color is certainly a subjective thing, but these vans are the most attractive minivans from the exterior I've seen. IMO the blue is unique but really nice as well. Wish I could pull the trigger on one--a beautiful vehicle in a bland marketplace.
    its called azure blue.
    Thanks Bowke--I checked the Nissan site and Edmunds and did not see it ("Majestic Blue" only), so I was beginning to wonder if I'd seen some kind of "limited" paint job or something. I'm in an area with a couple of Nissan corporate offices, so you see a lot of interesting stuff. I also think it goes VG with the grey interior.
    azure blue is only for the 2004s. the '05s wont have it.
    Well, I ve seen so few that apparently the general public doesn't share my taste--which I guess is no surprise. Lotsa Silver Mist, Smoke, and some gold around here BTW, the colors on the Nissan and Edmunds sites are for 04 and still don't list it.
    they may have discontinued that color early. im not sure exactly. we havent had one in about 2 months, and that one almost had a birthday.
  • awesome9againawesome9again Member Posts: 10
    Yeah I have a few minor problems with my Quest such as a slightly leaky moonroof and the FM radio reception problem. I just got 9.6L/100KM on the last tank (610KM travelled (about 500 highway) and filled up with 58.65L). That is fantastic for a van with 240HP. It blows the doors off of my old Caravan in performance and mileage. My minor problems will be fixed soon. Even with these problems this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Period.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I had the same thing happen to my Quest around 8k miles. They re-surfaced the rotors and all was right with the van. I also had this problem with my Malibu and Intrigue. I know a ton of other manufacturers have had this problem as well. It seem that to save on weight they make the rotors thinner. You get a couple of high speed stops or a few down hill stops and it cna cause the rotors to warp.

I would take the van in the next time oyu get it serviced and complain about the rotors. It's a known problem. They should fix them with no questions. If not then go to a brake shop and get upgraded rotors.
    Nissan has updated its wesite to reflect the changes for 2005. Most significant is the addition of another lower priced trim level. It is listed as Quest 3.5. Basically it is the 2004 S, but they've dropped the price by $990.00.
    The S now has standard power rear hatch, power right slider, power quarter-rear windows and a rear sonar system. All for only $210.00 price increase over the 04 S. SL gets 5 speed A/T and a price decrease of $490.00 from the 04 SL.
    www.nissannews.com has a synopsis of the changes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nissan's troubled Quest minivans get longer warranty (Arizona Business Gazette)

And from the article:

"Customers who already purchased an extended warranty through Nissan before this latest move can opt to cancel their existing contracts for a full refund, Bazemore said."

Steve, Host
    Seems like the Skyview is now available as an option on the SL now too--which means you should be able to order it without necessarily springing for leather. Good move by Nissan IMO, although I wonder how difficult it would be to get one.
    the should have made both doors power in the SL.
    They did cover the rotors under warranty, but don't know that they will when they most likely will go out again in about 20K miles.
    Did you know that if you have only the basic warranty on the 2004 Quest (now 5 years or 60,000 miles) if the van is in the shop for warranty repairs for more than one day, Nissan is not required to provide you with a replacement vehicle without charge? It is only the extended warranty that covers such a replacement without charge.
    They started offering the skyview roof on the SL in May of 2004. Apparently enough people complained about the skyview only being offered on the SE. I bought my SL with skyview and no leather in May. With the big moonroof it is an greaT feature. Our family loves it.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    no rental coverage: you are right, but if you complain loud enough the dealer can help you. Worked for me.
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    I checked out the Nissan website and the Comparison tool. It states that the 2005 Quest uses Premium Unleaded and the 2005 Odyssey and Sienna are both Regular Unleaded.

Has something changed with the Quest or are they getting things screwed up again in the documentation? I wonder if they have decided that Premium gas can solve some of the ills that bugged the 2004 Quest?
    nissan RECCOMENDS premium for optimum performance, but it is not required.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I also own a 2002 Maxima with the 3.5. I am fairly certain that the 3.5 engine always recommended premium fuel. From everything I read, it does NOT make sense to use regular fuel when the engineers recommend premium. Non-premium fuel does not let the engine perform as it was designed. Yes, it runs, but there may be long term consequences. There is a good reason they recommend premium despite the fact it is a negative selling point.

Also, my September 2003 built SE has had some issues, but I still recommend it to others for style, room, performance. My brother-in-law bought an S.
    if there were long term consequences, they would REQUIRE premium.