Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• toronto1968toronto1968 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I will do that. The window has a good tint now from Nissan. What I really need is the ability to block the side completely on really sunny days.

Thanks again
  • toronto1968toronto1968 Member Posts: 3
    I can't seem to get any real air out of the vents on the ceiling in the roof of my 05 Quest. Is there a 'trick' to getting a good stream of air through these vents?

Thanks in advance
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I believe the ceiling vents (2nd & 3rd row) are controlled by the small knob on the center console. It depends on whether there is warm or cold air blowing (main HVAC button).
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    The small knobs on the dash does control the rear vent spped and temp. Remember that warm air always blows from the bottom and cold air always blows from the top. So if you have the rear temp set on RED (hot), then there will be no air coming from the roof. I'm guessing that since it is winter, that might be what you are describing. Try turning the temp to blue/cold and the fan all the way up and see if you get a good flow of air.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Is the build quality still an issue. I heard that Consumer report lists the new quest as one of the worst ones and also read that nissan has made a lot of progress in terms of build quality. So how is the 05 model, is it improved a lot or still have issues?

Nissan is offering $2000 rebate on quest now. Will it improve during the year end model clearance or is this the best they come up with?

We have a 2005 SL we bought in December. It now has almost 5,000 miles on it - it's a company car.

It's been great, we like it better every day, and the last six tanks of gas have averaged over 22 mpg. This seems to be quite good for a full-size minivan in winter.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nissan's Quest earns 5-star rating (Clarion-Ledger)

Steve, Host
  • hapemama0103hapemama0103 Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I are considering leasing an ’05 Quest before the end of the big Drive to A Million sales event. We’re hip, stylish and with 2 children in car seats we think the Quest is the best fit for our personalities and family.

I’m just wondering though if we should lease or purchase. Can anyone recommend reasons why or why not to lease?

Any input would be appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you put nothing down and don't exceed the mileage limits, leasing can be a good way to save your cash for other things (like child care!). But I always figured the way to get ahead is to buy and get beyond the payments. Lots more in the Smart Shopper board, like Lease Questions - Ask Here.

Steve, Host
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Don't know much about financing, but I will speak to your decision to drive a Quest with your kids. No knocks on other vans, since I haven't lived with them myself, but I can say I think the Quest is a perfect vehicle for small children.
    -First off, all the standard safety equipment and good crash test ratings mentioned a few posts earlier. The only other vans with as high a rating are the Kia and Mazda, which are much smaller, and the Dodge/Chrysler vans which have quality issues, and are for grandparents (not cool Nissan people like us...)
    -The second row seats are very accommodating for child seats, very wide and flat, and easy to install LATCH tethers.
    -Also you can still adjust the seats fore and aft and tilt forward without having to take out the child seat. Plus there's plenty of space between the two seats, so it's easy to walk through if anyone needs access to the 3rd row, and too far for the 2nd row kids to reach and pick on each other.
    -But the seats are still far enough from the doors that our toddlers can't reach to smudge the glass. That's probably good for safety too. In our other car the seats were literally right up against the door and window, I hated to imagine even a mild side impact crash.
    -Also, the floor mats are huge, they really cover almost the entire floor surface in all three rows, so it will be very easy to remove them and vacuum and/or steam clean when they get dirty.

Two issues I would bring up:
    1) The cloth upholstery is pretty sensitive to all the bunching and pressure from the child seat, it seemed like it was beginning to stretch and wear out where the child seat presses down on it. So I put a towel down, folded over once, and when I removed the seat to check a few weeks later, it seemed to be holding up just fine. Plus the towel protects the seat bottom from their dirty shoes as they climb in and out. So you look kind of dorky for a few years, but it prevents permanent damage.
    2) You have to get a car seat that comes with it's own cup holder (probably most of them do these days) because the kids can't quite reach the ones built into the side of the seat.

I know I post a lot here, I'm trying not to be repetitive, but I just have to speak up in favor of the Quest. It takes a lot of flack on the Problems board, but it's been just great for my family!
    I echo all your comments. I have '04 Quest S and had same family situation. Nice that the 2nd row seats move forward and back. And the towel idea is one I would use on any van with cloth seats. The seat covers are more durable than they look. They clean up pretty easy too.

It seems the '05 are behaving better than the '04.
  • 82178217 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an SE and I have not had any problems as of yet. So far I am very satisfied with the build quality and performance. Gas mileage has been close to 21 mpg with a combination of freeway and surface streets. Our previous vehicle was a 99' Mercury Villager (Quest) with 156k miles and it was still a good solid vehicle. I am hoping this one turns out to be as good over the long haul.
    I had been following the forums for a few months and was aware of some of the 2004 issues. I am a design architect and find the styling a breath of fresh air although my wife prefers the more traditional approach. I have not found the instrument display to be a problem in the center of the dash and the center console in my opinion is very convenient.
  • green_teagreen_tea Member Posts: 14
    They gave the Quest 5 stars out of 5. Here is the link:
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/reviews.jsp?makeid=36&modelid=338&year=2005&myid=&acode=&c- - - rpPage=summary.jsp&gotopage=reviews.jsp&revlogtype=19&aff=national

I like particularly some of the comments as follows:

"This van drives almost like an Altima sedan, which is not completely strange, considering that the Quest is built on the chassis of the midsize Altima, which also is the chassis used for the Maxima sedan and the Murano crossover SUV.

Under the hood is the same 240-horsepower V-6 engine used in the Altima, which gives the Quest a good measure of performance.

In our test model, it was connected to a really smooth five-speed automatic transmission, and the combination of engine and gearbox moved this vehicle along like a sport sedan. It even corners more like a sedan than any minivan I've ever driven."

A sport sedan!! After one and a half year of experience with my 2004 Quest, I can't agree more. This van drives so smooth and lots of fun. Quality is very good too, and we have no problems so far. I am asking my friends to at least test drive it when they consider buying a minivan.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    2004 Quest SE
    I have two questions.
    Anyone ever notice that the rear bumper is full of water? I was leaning on the van and heard something sloshing. I assumed it was the fuel tank, but, then after shaking the van real hard, water started splashing out from inside the rear bumper. Sounds like a lot of water. Just thought that was weird. I'm sure I can solve that by drilling a few holes in the underside of the plastic cover.
    The other question is about the 'Re-lock' feature. You can set it to after 1 minute, 30 seconds, or 5 minutes (I think). However, either it doesn't work for me or I don't understand it. To me, that would mean, lock the doors after this amount of time. Anyone have an explaination about this feature and how it works? The owners manual doesn't explain, only tells you how to set the delay.
    Thanks - Mark
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I might be wrong about the re-lock feature of the Quest.
    In my ES300, when I unlock a door by remote fob but do not actually open the door, then the door automatically re-locks after certain time period.
    So lock the doors (with your remote), unlock them with the remote but don't open any, and see if they locks automatically after the preset period...
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    You might want to ask your question in the discussion Nissan Quest Owners: Problems & Solutions and also search while in that discussion to see if others have had similar questions or issues.

Good luck!
    This is exactly how this feture works on the Quest.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    A few years ago I picked up a sunshade for my car at Babies R Us, I believe. It's a big sheet of green-tinted clear vinyl that I cut with scissors to fit the shape of my window. It sticks to the window by itself, peels on and off in an instant. Actually I didn't have kids then, it was for me to block the sun on my morning commute.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Just out of curiousity, since I know it was such a common problem with the '04s, how are the '05 Quest models doing as far as rattles, squeaks, creaks, etc.?
    Even though I have a 2004 Quest S, it appears Nissan has address the issues that plagued the 2004. So far the word on the board is no creaks or rattles for 2005. it must be a new option. ha ha
    Our 06 Quest turned 6,000 miles this week. Several recent tanks of fuel over 24 mpg and everyone who drives it raves about the driving position and all-around performance/handling. And the interior volume is huge.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    From a volume perspective, the Quest actually has very slightly less cargo space than Sienna and Odyssey--in addition to the inflexibility of the third row not being split. Having cross-shopped these, I'd agree that the 3.5L engine is impressive. As far as mileage goes, I think that is so driver and situationally dependent that it's unfortunately a very difficult thing to generalize about but anyone getting 24 mpg in a van should be very happy.
    Government volume ratings are one thing - go look at them and start measuring like I did. The second row folders in the Quest are a lot more practical than the "solution" the Sienna uses and yields much more usuable space. Grand Caravan's fold-to-floor yields the most space and it's completly flat. To us the size of the side doors for ease of loading and unloading was more important. The split third row is a plus for some. For me it was a minus. YMMV

It may be difficult to generalize mileage but 1. that's what this thread is for an 2. the new Honda sure doesn't seem to be getting the mileage expected by owners.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I'm only referencing raw, objective numbers on the amount of cubic feet available in response to your original comment on space. If there are situations that render the Quest more "usable" for some purposes, then that obviously should enter into a buying decision. With regard to the third row, it may be a YMMV situation, but I'll at least speculate that, for most people, more flexibility is better than less flexibility. It would not be a deal breaker for me, but I can certainly understand how the ability to sit someone in the third row and also fold part of the seat down would affect the "quality" of the space available for some.

As far as mileage goes, anecdotal evidence of others' experiences is always helpful, but IMO it's also not a bad idea to somewhat discount those people who are at the margins and whose experiences seem atypical based on others' experiences. I would tend not to do this with the Odyssey since,as you point out, there seem to be a fairly high percentage of people who are displeased with their mileage. I read this forum because I respect Nissan's attempt to do something a bit different with the minivan (although I dislike the positioning of the speedometer), but I would not expect to get 24 mpg in everyday driving if I were to purchase one based on other mileage discussions I've read.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    hay, garandman, since your Quest is the company car, what was(were) the car(s)/van(s) before you purchase the Quest? and which has the best fuel efficient?

Many people could not reach or get near the EPA rating for their Ody & hybrid models and is great to see you achieve 24mpg (18/25 EPA #) on the Quest as a company car, too:D
    We currently have a Ford Econoline cargo van and a Hnoda Accord V6. We previously had a Dodge Caravan as well. The Econoline averages around 13 mpg. I haven't calculated the Honda but the range has been roughly from 23 to 27, some tanks higher and lower. I don't remember what the Caravan (4 spd, 3.3l) averaged but it was probably 20-21.

We have a 99 Caravan Sport (not Grand) for personal use but as it's mostly used in the city the mileage isn't representative - we might average 15mpg for a tank in Winter. On a 1,000 mile trip to Canada we averaged around 21 mpg, with a Yakima Rocketbox on the roof. On my Subaru the rocketbox costs 1.1 mpg at 75 mph.
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    Quest sales for March are up considerably. January 05- 2,502 February 05- 2,801 March 05- 4,999. Advertizing for the Quest appears to be almost nil. I occasionally see one in Parenting magazine. Maybe it is incentives. Maybe more people are beginning to like it.
    G.Chambers Williams III, of the Star Telegram.com, did a review for Cars.com. He claims that Nissan is planning on redesigning the dashboard/center console of the Quest for next years model.
    The latest round of mini van comparisons have left the Quest out of the comparison. Consumer Reports, in February I believe, compared the Odyssey, Sienna Grand Caravan and the Saturn Relay. This months Motor Trend compares the Odyssey, Sienna, and the Grand Caravan.
    Cr compared those minivans because the Odyssey was new, Grand Caravan was a re-design and Saturn Relay was new. They had done the Quest a year ago and no significant changes for this year other than the optional rattles.

Moltor Trend compared the top 3 in sales.

I'm seeing more Quest here in south central PA. It's a nice van with different styling. I think people are catching on. It appears the quality has improved as well. Keep the sales around 60k. Don't want it to be too popular.
  • srikanth2305srikanth2305 Member Posts: 22
    Any one knows nissan offers this? We have a murano now and considering a Quest.

Thanks in adavance.
    I would check out the Nissan web page first to see if there is any information there:

www.nissanusa.com
    What are you getting for mileage? We have a 05 Quest SL and regualrly get tanks of up to 24.5 mpg on mostly highway and some back road and urban driving. I have emptied the tank yet but have been taking it easy, 65-70 and the mpg gage is currently showing 26.4.

On the van MPG forum it seems like most other vans don't do this well. Our worst tank in th last 200 miles was 19.5, and that was more city than anything. Second worst was 20.3.
    I was averaging right around 20 in mostly city driving, but the last tank was 23, and no change in driving habits, so that's cool.

I am going to install a K&N air filter tomorrow, will let y'all know if that makes any difference. I got one for my Mustang (pre-children) and it really improved throttle response, and fuel econ by about 2 mpg. Anybody else used a performance filter or any other "mods" on your Quest? Please share your experiences.
  • drummerboy3drummerboy3 Member Posts: 7
    I have an '05 and I hear creaking coming from the rear of my van when I go up driveways and over speedbumps. Sometimes I hear it when I exit from the vehical. I took it back to the dealer and they tightened up the rear door latch, but it still creaks. Maybe it has something to do w/the suspension?
  • drummerboy3drummerboy3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I have a '05 Quest and I would highly recommend it. It drives like a sport sedan and has plenty of seating/cargo space (being a pro drummer, it's been a Godsend). The only problem I've had is an occasional creaking from the rear. But other than that, it's been awesome! Get one!
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I am interested in 2005 Quest SL and will go for a test drive in a couple of days.
    The Nissan dealer inventory shows the combination of options that I am interested in does not exist in any dealers within 100 miles of where I live (Atlanta area).
    I want basic options plus leather but NO moonroof/dvd/navi/xm. I didn't realize this was not so popular combo.
    My questions are

1. If the van has to be ordered, does it affect my negotiating power? How long will it take?

2. I want to carry 3 bikes, so want to have the tow hitch installed. I'm not sure if the tow package includes the hitch or just wiring.

Thanks!
    You may want to do some more research before adding the K&N filter. On the MPV board, one person had their Mass Air Inflow sensor go bad due to the K&N filter. Had to do with the oil on the filter corroding the sensor. it voided the warranty and Mazda would not pick up the cost.
  • bravesirrobinbravesirrobin Member Posts: 7
    Bought a K&N filter for my Quest to replace the restrictive paper OEM filter. I want to measure gas milage and report back, but first want to reset the computer. Anybody know how to do this?

Thx.
    I have purchased a K&N drop in replacement filter for every car I have owned since '92 (Chevy, Ford and Subaru) and have NEVER has a MAIS gone bad on because of "corrosion".

The only way the sensor can be damaged is if you over oil the filter after cleaning. See, if you put too much oil on the filter when reoiling (after cleaning the filter), the excess oil can accumulate on the sensor thus causing failure. K&N filters come pre-oiled from the factory, so all you need to do is drop it in and go.

Below is a helpful link...

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm
  • njdude101njdude101 Member Posts: 22
    I was offered $23450 otd price for for 2005 Quest 3.5 S, is it good deal? or i can get for lower than that.
  • njdude101njdude101 Member Posts: 22
    I am a first time buyer for Van. Can any one please advice which one is good for long run and price different. 2005 Quest 3.5S or 2005 Honda Odessey LX
    Press the fuel econ button and then hold down the trip reset button.
    Well, you do have to clean and re-oil the K&N filter every 50K... so there may be a remote chance that you could over do it and mess something up. But these things have been in use for many years and I have never heard of this problem before. And it is the same model number that is used on nearly all Nissan 3.5 V6 - Altima, Maxima, 350Z, etc, going back several years, so if it was a serious issue I would like to think it would be well advertised by now among the Nissanisti.

I also recommend putting that K&N sticker on your air box, so when they do the "free" 30-point inspection at quicky lube they won't open it up and get it dirty, or replace it with a cheap new one.

I just put mine in this afternoon, so it's too early to tell any difference in fuel economy. But I would say the throttle response is more aggressive and it revs more quickly. Not a huge difference, but it is noticeable and fun.
    I would say that's a good price. You didn't mention any options, but that's below Edmund's TMV (assuming it comes with seats and floor mats!) ;)

That is almost exactly how much I paid for my 2004 3.5S last October, and the 2005 has more standard features such as power tailgate, one power sliding door, and rear sonar (the only one I think is worth having).

I say go for it. You are getting a really nifty, roomy, well-handling minivan for about the price of most compact SUVs. :D
  • jco1jco1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Quest that I bought brand new August 28, 2004. It has been in the shop about 6 times since then...mostly for a huge clanging/rattle noise in the passenger sliding door. Today it's in the shop again for the 4th time in 2 months for the door. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated. The noise is so loud that I honestly consider it a hazard and distraction to drive with! I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old and this is such a HUGE inconvenicen with car seats and rental cars, etc....
    Making the annual pilgrimage to Orlando, FL to pay homage at The House of the Mouse (and part with a significant portion of my savings). I'll be trekking FL from NJ this weekend and will fill you all in on milage, handling, etc. of my '04 Quest SE.

The trip is about 1,800 miles round trip (in case you're wondering, wife has a nasty fear of flying). I expect to stick to I-95 all the way down and back. We'll be stopping over in South Carolina for an over night. You didn't think I would drive down in one shot, did 'ya?!? Will do an overnighter in N.C. on the way back too.

To prep for the trip I have:
    - Installed K&N drop-in replacement filter
    - Changed the Oil
    - Rotate, balance and check tire pressure
    - Washed, waxed and cleaned the windows
    - Installed Yakima Blacktop Pro 165 Cargo Carrier. Did I mentioned I'm we're also bringing our 3 kids? (I can hear some of you groaning already) :blush:
    - Packed emergency kit (first aid kit, flashlight, safety vest, flairs, etc)
    - Checked spare tire pressure
    - Charged cell phone and put in nifty cell phone holder in stack drawer (with charger)
    - Picked up 5 DVDs for the kids, also packed their Gameboys
    - Did a bunch of other prep work but I don't want to bore you

Wish me luck and a brisk tail wind. Magic Kingdom, here we come!!! :)
    ahight,

For those who are concerned with the over oiling issue (not really an issue), I have included the below link FYI...

http://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#OILING
    ahight, I have the DVD Nav system so there is no fuel econ button. Thoughts?
    "ahight, I have the DVD Nav system so there is no fuel econ button. Thoughts?"

How do you reset the trip odometer?
    I guess just do whatever you do to display your fuel economy info and hold down the trip reset button. Just guessing here, since obviously mine is different. Good luck.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    braves...you truely are brave to take that long of a trip with 3 kids. Doesn't really matter how old because kids will be kids. Gas prices have come down a little bit this past week. That should give you a little extra money to buy some of those $10 Mickey Mouse snow cones. ;) Sounds like a great trip. Good luck and check back with us about your mpg...as well as how long into your trip before one of your kids said,"Are we there yet?"
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Every time someone mentions K&N filters, I ask if they did performance and mileage tests before they made the change so they can indicate the precise difference.

I ask that question because my experience with racing cars was that any change you make seems to improve performance - you really want it to since you've spent the money.

I have never once seen a K&N user report that they'd averaged nn.n mpg and could do a quarter mile in nn.n seconds before, and then the corresponding results afterwards.

I don't believe the claims because I did tests with a Scirocco I used to race with no air filter, then with the factory filter. There was no measurable increase in performance, so K&N users are going to have to prove it before I believe that manufacturers claims.

Our Quest is getting great mileage - 25.5 mpg on the last tank, so I'll stick with the "restrictive" lol factory-engineered system.
  • farmer3farmer3 Member Posts: 21
    "ahight, I have the DVD Nav system so there is no fuel econ button. Thoughts?"

Hit the "trip" button on the console until it gets to the "fuel economy" screen. At least that's how it's done on my '05 w/NAV :)