Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• farmer3farmer3 Member Posts: 21
    sopecreek:

"2. I want to carry 3 bikes, so want to have the tow hitch installed. I'm not sure if the tow package includes the hitch or just wiring. "

The tow package includes the hitch. We weren't planning on getting it but the only vehicle with all the other equip we wanted had the tow package so we took it. We've already used it multiple times and I'm not sure what we'd do without it! I got a 4-bike hitch rack for our bikes from WalMart for under $100 and it works great!!
  • bravesirrobinbravesirrobin Member Posts: 7
    Day 1: Set out from Northern most Bergen county NJ at 5:30am. Filled the tank the day before with Mobil 87 oct.

- 125 miles down the NJ Turnpike filled-up again at the last Sunoco station in NJ. *Rule of Thumb: Always fill the tank before you leave NJ because NJ has some of the lowest gasoline prices in the US. It's little benefit we NJ'zians get for putting up with all the refineries around exit 13 on the Turnpike.

- Kids enjoyed Spunge Bob DVDs on the dual screen entertainment system. They used the included wireless headphones while the Mrs. and I enjoyed our favorite radio station Mix 102.7 (ok I'm dating myself)

- Quest ride is very stable and no odd noises that I can detect. One thing that did catch my eye is that it takes a long time for the Quest to find a lower gear when the cruise control is engaged. At 75 MPH through Delaware should be turning about 2200 RPM, instead Quest was turning about 2700! Found myself disengaging the cruise control, the quest would immidiately jump into 5th gear, then I'd reengage cruise control. Hummm...?!?

- I am 6'1" tall and about 235lbs. I thought I was going to suffer with the "short" drivers seat (read poor thigh support). However, I found the quest driver's seat to be very comfortable (go figure!)

- Had to fillup the quest again because the digital read out on the gas meter read empty. Now, I know the quest has a 20 gallon tank, so I figured that since I'd just travelled close to 400 miles since the last fill-up, I was probably running on fumes. Long story short, I filled the tank all of about 16.5 gallons of Reg. unleaded. Now I know that, during highway miles, I can push another 60 - 70 miles past the empty mark knowing that there's 4 unspent gallons in the tank.

- Hit some pretty wicked cross winds in N.C. Quest handled them nicely with a minimum of "rock and roll'.

- In S.C. now. Stopped at a Holiday Inn w/ pool and Jacuzzi. Had dinner and put the kids to bed. The Mrs. & me are sneaking down to the pool for a little dip (wink, wink - nudge, nudge. Enough said...) ;);)

More tomorrow.
  • value911value911 Member Posts: 15
    Well, I am no getting my 3rd set of rotors - and only at 25,000 miles. Dealer service say it is a problem with the calipers on the Quest, Titan and Armada. They don't have a fix, so they keep resurfacing, then replace the rotors when resurfacing no longer works. Consumer reports says this was the worst problematic vehicle for 2004. I would have to agree. Never a first year model for me again.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Thanks for the information. I just purchased 05 Quest SL over the weekend. It has the hitch as you said. Now I need to find a right bike carrier and will try to visit
    Walmart first.
    BTW, does your bike hitch rack interfere with the rear sonar system in any way?
    Also, do you know the name of the manufacturer?
    Thanks again!
    The brand of the hitch rack is Bell. Having the rack on makes the rear sonar system go off. I just push the "off" button for the sonar system (it resets itself so that when you start the car again, the sonar system is "on") or you can just endure the noise while you're in reverse since it stops when you put the car in drive. Not a big deal.

Enjoy your Quest. Despite all the bad press, here and in Consumer Reports, a magazine I highly respect, we absolutely LOVE our Quest. Going over to the '05 Odyssey board, I read about just as many problems with them as the Quest. I know CR loves them but after owning an '00 Odyssey for almost five years, I was NOT impressed with the reliability and the '05 redesign was disappointing to say the least. It's amazing how much more fun errands and carpooling have become. . .

;)
    farmer3, thanks for the quick reply, it's really helping me out.
    Do you keep the bike hitch on your van all the time or detach it after each use? Since I go for a ride once or twice a month, I'll have to take it off and store it after each use.
    I purchased security+plus silver coverage with the purchase of the van.
    While reading the brochure, I noticed some of the items such as power sliding door, power lift gate, rear sonar system were not specifically addressed. I called 800 Nissan and the automated message says only the dealer can answer these questions. So I called the service dept of the dealer and the service rep told me that those were most likely covered items. I asked for the copy of the detailed coverage and he said it's available only internally since the coverage is over a thousand parts. Also, as most Quests are new and covered by original Nissan warranty no extended warrany work has been performed so far.
    Since other items such as power window, power seats, sunroof motors, etc are covered, common sense indicates those items will be covered, I suppose.
    I'm still uncomfortable not knowing about these specific items (especially the power sliding door as it is used so much!)
    "farmer3, thanks for the quick reply, it's really helping me out.
    Do you keep the bike hitch on your van all the time or detach it after each use? Since I go for a ride once or twice a month, I'll have to take it off and store it after each use."

I only put it on when we take the bikes for a ride. It doesn't take up much room in the garage.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Your question has been moved to the discussion Nissan Quest 2004+ Owners: Problems & Solutions where it can be answered.
  • njdude101njdude101 Member Posts: 22
    How much did you pay for your extended warrenty and up to how many Months/Mileage and which model do you have?
    I want to have security alarm and auto starter for my new 2005 Quest 3.5. Does any one have any recommendation for which one should i get?
    I got the Security+Plus Silver coverage (72/75000, $50 deductible) for $995 . Based on what some other people have paid in this forum, I believe I paid too much (didn't realize during the negotiation that I could get it later. I wasn't planning to get one and didn't research what others were paying.)
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Anyone see the 4/18/2005 Automotive News publication? On page 24k is an ad for Johnson Controls. This ad features fold flat seating. If you look very close, at the front seats and dash, the vehicle is, unmistakably, a Quest. Looks like a really cool setup in that it apparently offers power folding seats for all rows. According to the pictures, once all are folded, the seats create a completely flat and seemless floor. The control is placed on the left side of the rear hatch area. Very interesting....... :shades:
  • 2004quest2004quest Member Posts: 13
    njdude101, Not that Quest is anywhere near the top in the list of 'most stolen vehicles', but you do realize that Quest has a security feature where a chip is embeded in your key and only your key will allow the engine to be started. This prevents thieves from starting the vehicle by hotwiring. For 'auto-start' one of your keys has to be embedded in the dashboard negating this security feature.
  • hawkmomhawkmom Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used Quest 04, 3 weeks ago. I typically drive; however, I have noticed when sitting on the passenger side, the engine sounds loud. I only hear this noise when taking off from a red light, or parked position. It's like the car is struggling to get out of that initial gear. I also notice the "creaking" sounds as well. Not sure where they are coming from. My husband says the engine is slightly louder than what I am used to driving because it's a larger engine. My radio DOES NOT work sometimes when I start the car up. The dealership quickly volunteered to replace that; however, the other complaints that I have had (that others on this message board have had) were chalked up as my imagination. I like to think that although I can't speak the lingo, I definitely can tell when something doesn't sound or drive the way it should. My steering wheel also shakes when I brake. The van has about 48,000 miles on it. All feedback welcomed. :)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Wow!!! 48k miles on a year old vehicle.

Radio is a common problem with early Quest. The noise you hear is probalby rattles in door. Common problem. Dealership should be able to fix. steerign wheel shaking during braking is wapred rotors. At the mileage you are at, you will have to foot that bill.

Hopefully they explained to you that your vehicle is covered for 5 years/60k miles bumper to bumper. They upped the warranty on all 2004 Quests because of all the issues.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    dtownfb is correct on the radio and squeks. there is a customer service initiative (#2) to handle squeks. I just had my rotors (17K miles) done - no charge.

As for the radio they will need to replace with a new version (lotsl of early problems). When all is said and done you should really like the car
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    My wife and I spent the day driving minivans.
    05 Quest SL (leather) MSRP 30K
    05 Odyssey EX (leather sunroof DVD) 32K
    05 Sienna XLE (cloth no DVD no sunroof) 32k

The Nissan was, by far, the superior product. The engine in the Nissan felt like it had the most power (only went to 4K rpm), the transmission was the smoothest, and the suspension soaked up the bumps the best.

My wife didn’t actually drive in the Sienna because she said it was the biggest piece of garbage she’s seen (especially for 32k). I told here there would probably be a wider margin of negotiation than the Honda, but she said why would I want to sit in an interior that reminds me of my 80’s Chevette (big cheap plastic buttons and shinny black plastic ). When compared just to the Honda the Sienna was outclassed; I truly am amazed why anybody would buy a Sienna (I never did care for Toyota so maybe that had something to do with it…though not with this thread so…that’s all I’ll say about that).

The Nissan interior was the most unique. I cannot understand peoples reluctance, and inability, to use the center console. It was so much easier to use and see than “peeking” through the steering wheel. I did think the interior of the Odyssey had a “higher class” look to it, and the buttons and switches seemed more…solid, substantial…better.

The Odyssey did have a plus with the in-floor lazy-susan, the middle 8th seating position (our 2 year old fit in there perfectly), and 2nd seat roll down windows (I don’t care for this but my wife does). The Quest did have the 2nd seat fold in floor seating. Neither leather in the Quest or Odyssey made me go wow…it was ok (not Audi or Volvo leather)

More on the Nissan drive. If we evaluate the following characteristics
    Noise
    Suspension composure over bumps and cracks.
    Highway stability
    Handling
    The Quest was substantially quieter than the Odyssey and Sienna. My wife said the Odyssey felt like a truck. Not literally that is, but towards that spectrum…which I’d have to agree with. The Nissan just soaked up bumps without noise and without creaks and without any suspension noise. On the highway it tracked straight ahead with out any need for correction, and once completing a lane change it reverted back to the center position; it was weighted “perfectly”. The Quest felt like a BMW 3 series with 5 heavy people on board; It handled a clover on-ramp at higher speeds, and more stable, than I could in my Accord.

The Odyssey suspension seemed to rattle around and the tires thump against the pavement (with all this commotion intruding into the passenger compartment). Perhaps the Odyssey tire pressure was off; we’ll be taking a second round of test drives.

I’m confused why the Quest sales are below Odyssey, and especially Sienna. Like I said, it was FAR better (and how could everybody not agree with me :shades: ).

Question to Quest owners
    1)were you able to negotiate prices near/below Edmunds TMV.

2)Does anybody have the Rouge Leather? How does it hold up, especially to fading?
    > 1)were you able to negotiate prices near/below Edmunds TMV.

I was able to get basically carsdirect.com price (which was few hundred bucks lower than Edmunds TMV for Atlanta region) without too much negotiation.
    You can probably do better as it's the end of the month...

2005 Quest SL (Silver Mist)
    Seat Package
    3.5 SL Upgrade Package
    Single Screen DVD
    Tow package
    Running Boards
    Splash guards
    Floor mats
    In-cabin microfilter
    Dealer added: Paint/cloth protection (well, couldn't take it off)
    Doc, prep, title fees

Drive-out price: $26200 (before tax)

BTW, I love driving this van! I can't wait to pass the break-in period...
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Hi,
    I've recently got a few quotes from dealers about a Quest SE model. The options we requested are DVD dual screen system, seat packgage and running boards. The best quote so far has been 31,000.35 (including tax, tags, and processing fees). For the MD area, has anyone found a better price? A dealer told me that although I only wanted the options cited above, things like cargo cover, floor mats, splash guards, etc. are already on the vans (ALL?), so the price will be higher than what I expected. Is that true or just another gimmick to make money on the consumer? Finally, can someone remind me what the warranty is now on the Quest (5 yr/70000 miles) so that I don't get fooled in buying some "extended" warranty? Thanks for the info.
    I think i missed the end of the month dealing: May now...

I also noticed that the 2K rebate being offered is set to expire tomorrow 5.2.2005, so I guess I probably will miss out on that as well.

Maybe I'll wait a while till new incentives/rebates are offered.
    3 yr / 36000 miles b2b warranty, 5yr/60000miles on powertrain. I asked my dealer whether Nissan extended the b2b warranty for the 2005 Quest as it did for 2004, and the dealer said no.
    Time flies... I thought I had another week in April :)
    I'm not a fortune teller, but I'll be surprised if the 2K rebate goes away.
    There were plenty of Quests sitting in the lot and I didn't notice anyone checking them out. If you are determined to buy one, this should help out in your favor.
    "...I'll be surprised if the 2K rebate goes away.
    There were plenty of Quests sitting in the lot and I didn't notice anyone checking them out."

I was thinking of calling Nissan tomorrow to see if the rebates had ended.

In one way I’m glad that they are not selling well…good deals; although this really has me confused. Especially the Edmunds review that has the Sienna first place and last year’s Odyssey as second. Both my wife and I thought the Sienna was junk…not that the Quest was a little better…that the Sienna was junk. My wife and I “started” to get into an argument when I suggest we should still drive it.

Maybe I should post on the Sienna and Odyssey boards to see why they think those are (so much) better…probably will start a fight…but I’m just curious. I usually find the posts, and posters, assume that everybody knows the Odyssey/Sienna are the best mini-vans and you just need to make your mind whether you want luxury (Sienna) or sport (Odyssey).

I don’t know “what we’re missing” but as it stands, for the same money, there is no way we would go for Sienna or Odyssey over the Quest. Having rebates on top of an invoice selling price is icing on the cake. I know reviews and people’s preferences are just personal tastes but I can’t help thinking “is everybody else that dumb?”.

I know we found our next vehicle; we just need to see if they have our “odd” preference for colors available…anywhere.

Is there an online database to search for new Nissan products (specifically colors for exterior/interior).
    Did you try nissanusa.com to build your Quest and locate them in the dealer inventories near you? I found the website very helpful during my search. (And that's how I knew it would be practically impossible to find SL with leather but without moonroof and without DVD where I live.)
    When I turn corners fast, I do wish the seat had better lateral support. It goes against other sporty character of this van...
    I just finished doing a search of dealers.

Our color combination Peral white with rouge leather was not found in my state. I did find a couple in TX and another in KS.

The search was kind of annoying, you had to select each dealer to search their inventory to see if your pre-selected criteria was found (would be at the top of the list). TX had over 60 dealers...

Another question...
    Is the SE DVD package (dual screen) also the Dual Media Playback? As my understaning goes, the Dual Media Playback gives you the option to listen to a different source as the people in the back playing DVD's...The brochure does not mention this for the SE DVD package, but does mention it for the others (SL, S and base).
    "The search was kind of annoying, you had to select each dealer to search their inventory to see if your pre-selected criteria was found (would be at the top of the list). TX had over 60 dealers..."

This was a problem with me, too. In my case, I had to search over about 25 dealers since I was considering dealers within 100 miles.

"Our color combination Peral white with rouge leather was not found in my state. I did find a couple in TX and another in KS. "

We liked rouge leather, too. But most of the Quests with rouge leather had dark (such as black) exterior paints.

Regarding your dual media playback question, my kid watched DVD from the back with the wireless headphone on while I and my wife listened to CD through the speakers, for about a minute... Then we found out the wireless headphone that came with the DVD package had poor sound insulation. My daughter complained she could not listen to the sound from the movie playing due to the intrusion of the music from the speakers (even though the music was playig quite softly.) She turned up the volume of the headphone all the way but then it was too loud it actually hurt her hearing. I tried it and it was indeed annoying. I haven't tried to turn off just the rear speakers to reduce the intrusion. Not sure if I have such audio option. Also, the wireless headphone only works in the back. It cuts off the sound when you bring it to the front (must be safety feature.)
  • soccermomsoccermom Member Posts: 2
    In your reply to the mini-monster war. The Quest is more of a risk on resale, also the 2005 Quest was upgraded from a 4 speed auto to a 5 speed auto that was only avaliable on the SE in 2004. Before the Quest my husband and I purchased a 2001 Odyssey and had Tranny problems ; which i heard they have not worked out that`s why we purchased the Quest. It is much quieter than the Honda, all seem to have their positives and negatives. Best of luck.
  • garycoxgarycox Member Posts: 59
    Can anyone recommend an alarm system for a 2004 Quest SL? One wasn't included from the factory although it has the electronic key system but I'm looking more for content alarm. The dealer doesn't install them and I'm not sure who to go to about installing one and trusting their installation?

... Gary
    Can anyone confirm that the auto dimming rear view mirror does NOT have a compass (2005 Quest SL)?
    Does any one else notice following problems from 2005 Quest 3.5 S.

Yesterday I notice that “passenger air bag off” light was on even though my wife was at passenger seat. (she weight around 120 lb), then I pull a car on side and I moved to passenger seat but still light did not go off. I drove for around five miles like but when we were coming back on that time light was off, I checked few times to make sure if it still having any problem but luckily as soon either me or my wife take a sit light went off. That was a first time happened so far.

Today when I turn on heat I was hearing “tic tic” type of clicking noise from passenger side ventilation, it was not continues noise but one or two clicks after every couple of minutes.

When I change ventilation position I hear noise that it is switching to other mode now. (Probably from motor, not loud but noticeable)
    I also wanted to have good alarm and remote start for my 2005 Quest,
    Does it affect warranty if I install through any local store??
    thanks,
  • hawkmomhawkmom Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, but it was purchased August 2003 and traded in on 3/31/05. In the DC area, that's typical mileage (unfortunately).
    From where i can buy low cost security+ plus Gold Plan for 2005 Quest 3.5 S ?

How much it usually cost??

thanks,
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    You can adjust the speaker settings. Fade is front to back, balance is left to right. If you adjust fade to the extreme, it will only produce sound through the front speakers. Put your whining kid with the earphones in the 3rd row and there should be peace.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Handling
    The Quest was substantially quieter than the Odyssey and Sienna. My wife said the Odyssey felt like a truck. Not literally that is, but towards that spectrum…which I’d have to agree with. The Nissan just soaked up bumps without noise and without creaks and without any suspension noise. On the highway it tracked straight ahead with out any need for correction, and once completing a lane change it reverted back to the center position; it was weighted “perfectly”. The Quest felt like a BMW 3 series with 5 heavy people on board; It handled a clover on-ramp at higher speeds, and more stable, than I could in my Accord.

I own a 2005 Quest SL and a 2005 Accord EX-L V6. I really like the Quest, but if you cannot corner at higher speed in your Accord than it needs service.

Some one else mentioned transmission problems on the Odyssey. Give the tasks they perform, I'm surprised when a minivan doesn't have transmission problems.

What's the steering wheel like on the Ody? Our folks consider the speedometer on the Quest to be less than ideal, but they love the leather steering wheel (on the SE and SL).
    II do wish my Accord had that!
    $2000 rebate has been extended to 5/31...
    Thanks for the informaiton. As it turns out, the rear speakers turn off automatically when the wireless headphone function is enabled. She'll just have to learn to live with some intrusion.
    Let me clarify it a little bit.

The Quest feels more confident corning (through a clover on ramp) than my 2003 I4 5spd Accord. The Quest leans less and has better road “feel”.

The Quest was an SE, so maybe the 60 series tires on 17” rims makes a difference from the SL (not sure if different brand of tire)...or perhaps the I4 Accord is significantly different from the V6. Either way…the difference was not miniscule but very noticeable.

I didn’t take the corner (curve) at 100 mph, so maybe the Accord I4 could technically achieve a higher corner speed, but at 75% of the limit, the Quest felt much better.

The Odyssey wheel (EX-L with DVD) was thinner, bigger, and plasticy; coming from the Quest with the small leather wheel, it felt like driving a UHaul (ok not that bad…heh).
    Does SE have sport suspension (as in Maxima) or the only difference in tires (17" vs 16")?
    My SL corners very well considering its hefty size, but I don't think it's that good. I have not driven SE, though.
    I don't think there are any suspension changes; nothing that is in the brochure anyway.
  • firecrackerfirecracker Member Posts: 4
    We like our new van ALOT, we bought it after our bank repo'd it, so we're still learning about it's history, treatment, etc. Thankfully, we have a very responsive and helpful dealership.

We just had all the recall updates taken care of last week and now I have a question about the passenger side automatic door. My husband swears it used to chime when opening and closing. I say that only the auto back hatch chimes, and that the side door chimes only when reversing. He thinks that the side door also chimes and that the dealership forgot to reconnect something during service.

Could someone please confirm when the door is supposed to chime or if yours chimes upon opening and closing?

Thanks!
  • bronco31bronco31 Member Posts: 6
    The chime does sound while the door is opening or closing and you place the car in gear. How ever you cannot open the door while the car is in gear. I hope I didn't lose you.
  • firecrackerfirecracker Member Posts: 4
    nope, you didn't lose me. I just want to confirm that you're talking about the SIDE door, not the back hatch.

Thanks.
  • coywire27coywire27 Member Posts: 6
    I have a question about car top carriers on the Quest - because of the glass panels on the top, can we even have carriers up there and if so how much weight?
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    As with any car, you have to buy a set of cross members that go perpendicular to the front-to-back rails that came on the van. The luggage carrier sits on top of those cross members. Nothing should ever sit directly on top of any vehicle's roof, it is not meant to support weight.
  • fishbumfishbum Member Posts: 1
    Check with your dealer for a recall or tech bulletin on the air bag issue. :sick:
    You need roof racks if you want to put a top carrier.

Our SE came with the roof racks. They seem VERY sturdy. I think the manual said 125lbs, but I don't really see any problem with the bars supporting much more weight.

I think the weight limit is more to prevent a higher center of gravity…especially with highway emergency maneuvers.
    Does anybody know what order the readings are on the tire pressure monitoring system? The manual says it’s in no particular order, but I’m not sure if that means every time you turn on the car it’s in a new order, or if one car to the next is inconsistent. I don’t see the point of the system warning you if a tire is low…but not being able to tell you which one.

BTW, my Quest SE came with all the tires at 38 PSI (they got as high as 41 when on the highway), I reduced them down to 35 thinking the ride would be optimal when running the recommended pressures.

I now have one tire, not sure which one, that always seem to lag behind the others as far as pressure is concerned (but will eventually read the same if taken on the highway for a bit)…I used a digital pressure gauge…but may recheck using an old fashioned one.

First tank of gas using the onboard comp was 17.4mpg 50/50 highway/city (plus long idling time).