Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    The first number is the front driver side tire, then front passenger, then rear passenger, then rear driver. Just remember the first reading is the tire closet to you, and the rest go around clockwise. At least that's how they are on mine. I learned this by watching the readings as I increased the pressure with my air compressor one day.

The recommended PSI according to the sitcker inside my door jamb is 35 or 36, can't quite remember right now. That's the cold reading. They'll warm up to 38 or so after driving a while. I wouldn't start at 38 cold. I have heard that increasing the pressure beyond the manufacturer's recommendation might give slightly better fuel economy, but it will also ride more harshly, and the tires will start capping, i.e., wearing out in the center of the tread more quickly than the sides. I learned this the hard way, used to drive my wife's old Geo Metro (ugh) and I had the tires at like 38 PSI cold because that was the number on the side of the tire itself. I didn't know to look for the recommendation from the mfr., which was only 32 PSI. Oops.

Mine rarely read exactly the same PSI on the screen, usually a range of 1 or 2 PSI difference, but that's close enough. It could just be a couple tenths rounding error. I check them every other week with my manual gauge and top off as needed. I read somewhere, perhaps on Edmunds, not to trust the car's sensors alone. A few have had defective sensors, and they aren't the most accurate system. Plus they may warm up at different rates depending on differences in the thickness of the rubber or the load on that corner of the vehicle. Just do it the old fashioned way every now and then and you'll be fine. The computer is just there to let you know if something is WAY off (like more than 5 PSI) and then you may have a significant problem.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I believe that the tire pressures listed on the screen are in random order. If there is an order that comes from the factory, it all changes when you rotate the tires. Unless you're trying to get a few tenths of a second off your lap times, a plus/minus of 2 pounds will not make a difference. My sensors have been accurate and troublefree and I wish my Maxima had them also. We had 2 close calls with our old Windstar, when one tire picked up a nail and got so low that it could have caused an accident.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    So, what you’re saying is that the read out position is tied to the actual tire (rim) not the location it currently is in.

Therefore if the driver’s front tire, let’s say initially is the first tire pressure displayed, gets moved to the passenger rear, then the first item displayed will now represent the passenger rear?

If so, maybe I could label all my tires A B C D and then the read-out sequence would correspond to the appropriate letter…
    Has anybody installed, or had installed, the clear nose masks?

I have found a number different sellers/distributors that sell pre-cut pieces for the Quest. I’ve even found an installation video.

While the installation does not appear to complex or difficult, I think I would get “nervous” about sticking a $150 (single piece) of plastic to my car...and doing it wrong and having it stuck there all crooked and wrinkled.

I’ve checked out the “hoods and bras” section but did not see any Quest owners there.
  • njdude101njdude101 Member Posts: 22
    This is my first Mini Van and I am not sure if this is normal but for me it seems like that Quest's had glare problem in the windshield, sometime it’s really distractive while driving.
    Do you mean the windshield is reflecting the interior dash…i.e. a ghost image of the dash on the windshield?

I had this on my G35 a couple years ago and noticed it slightly on the Quest. I just wrote it off as a Nissan thing.

You have to look past it…like in the 3d art pictures that were popular a few years ago…and not be transfixed by it like “Mr. Pitt” on Seinfeld.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Yes, I know what you mean. I have Lexus ES300 which also has glare but much less pronounced. I learned to live with them.
    I've been driving the van with the steering wheel in rather upward position which was how it came from the dealer.
    This morning I adjusted it to face more toward my chest and it made the driving even more fun. I'm now more planted into the seat with good posture and the cornering feels so much better.

The MPG with premium gas in for last 250 miles is showing 20.2 with 70%/30% (hwy/city) driving.
    I'm having hard time to keep it under 70 mph on hwy. (BTW, the tach shows 2000RPM @ 70 mph). I brought it up to 80 mph until my wife sarcastically reminded me of breakin period (I told her before we should keep the van under 70 mph first 1000 miles :) I'm still trying to keep the tach under 4k.

The creak I had before on the driver side sliding door turned out to be from the door hinge metal contact. I lubed the hinge and the creak has been completely gone for two weeks. But I do feel that the van (any van for that matter) will have more loose parts than sedans as time goes by.

I have no problem reading the speedometer, tach, fuel gauge and prefer the current position as I had trouble from traditional setup in most cars due to the steering wheel blocking the view. The other warning lights located at the right side of the computer monitor are placed too far from the driver and do wash out under sunlight during the day albeit no problem at night.

I see some discoloration where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler and think it could be rust. I suspect from the VIN that this van had been sitting at the dealer lot quite a while and it rained record amount during that time.

The dealer called me 5 times after the purchase and told me how important the Nissan survey was to them. I was invited to bring in the survey then they would give me a free tank of gas (regular).

I talked to my friend who has previous model year (01 or 02) Odyssey. When he saw my Quest, he told me his transmission had serious problem and Honda offered to provide rebuilt one. He refused and got the new one but had to pay installation ($1100+) instead. Then the new transmission was later fixed too because of some heat build up problem and honda installed a jet to increase oil flow in the transmission. Believe it or not, his Acura TL (00 or 01) also had transmission problem and fortunately it happened under warranty... He now wants Suburban (which he wanted all along) but his wife wants new Odyssey, go figure...
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    The van is fun to drive esp. on the highway. I don't think you need to use premium gas. If it makes you feel better go for it.

Congratulations on your new Quest!
    Just passed 650ish miles.

Last tank of gas was "again" 17.4 mpg (comp read out) 80/20 (city/highway).

The wireless head phones are a miracle invention. My wife and I can go for a leisurely drive with kids in the back quietly listening to a DVD movie.

Love this van…my Odyssey & Pilot friends are amazed at the rear seat leg room.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    The readout is fairly "recent" consumption. MPG calculated from actual miles divided by actual fuel use is likely to be different.

We average 22.3 mpg over the first 6,000 miles, including breaking and winter driving.
    When I refuel I reset the trip computer and reset the MPG.

I think that this will give me the effect of calculating my MPG from each fill-up. I manually calculated last time and I got 17.6 (I rounded the gallons) versus the 17.4 from the comp.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I manually calculate everytank (7,539 miles). Yes, sometimes it matches.
  • chiefdocchiefdoc Member Posts: 22
    I need to get to the rear of the radio to connect an FM modulator for my sattelite radio. I need access to the antenna connection to the radio. Any one have experience/knowledge opening up the console, or have an easier way to get there? Thanks in advance.
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I had a clear nose mask installed on my car for about a year now. I think it is a great investment. I had it installed by a local auto detail shop I use. They charged $450.00. The detail shop charged based on the degree of difficulty. Apparently, the Quest with its corners and angles ranked high on the difficulty scale. It covers the upper and lower bumper, half of the hood and the side mirrors. You wash it and wax it just like paint. It doesn't fade your paint and can be removed easily at anytime. I have zero chips and scratches in the front.
    Good luck
    Was that $450 only for the labor? Or total price including the 3M Material.?
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    The $450 was materials and labor. The product they used is called Protect-A-Shield.
    It's just out and good news for the Quest,

"... Nissan also performed dramatically better in the 2005 study, with the Nissan Quest as the most-improved model, recording an impressive 104 PP100 improvement..."

Does anyone know how many problems per 100 vehicles were there from the last year's IQS?
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Seems hard to find that raw number for individual vehicles as opposed to a manufacturer's entire product line, which was 154/100 for Nissan in '04. One would assume that it was well over the 154 number since the vehicles made in Canton MS were generally faulted for Nissan's drop in last year's rankings, but I never did see an exact number for the Quest alone. It would certainly be relevant in weighing the actual (as opposed to relative to last year) level of defects.
    JD Power total quality survey is out:

"Nissan also performed dramatically better in the 2005 study, with the Nissan Quest as the most-improved model, recording an impressive 104 Problems Per 100 vehicles improvement."

I could not see what the actual score was. I know the average pp100 is 118. Toyota, Chrylser, and Dodge still ranked highest. Regardless, that is a huge improvement for the Quest, now everybody on the fence can relax and go buy one.
    :shades:
    Well, I found it finally. Isn't google great?

2004: 243/100
    2005: 139/100

http://www.adelphia.net/news/read.php?id=11921642&ps=1014&cat=&cps=0
  • njdude101njdude101 Member Posts: 22
    I went to Audio shop to install Alarm (to defend from body damage) and Remote start for my 2005 Quest S, and that guy told me that if I keep only one remote then I won’t be able to open power sliding door and trunk with new remote, if I want to keep all factory install functions then I have to keep two remotes and before I unlock door I have to turn off the alarm first,

Then I went to other place (like circuit city) that guy told me that they had problem with remote power sliding door, it was keep opening by it self while driving, he also mentioned me that since car already had an alarm and if I install another alarm it will might Void factory warranty….better ask dealer before installing this things.

Does anyone have installed any of these in his new Quest ???
    TPMS warned us just before going on the highway that we had a flat…yup it was flat.

BIG hunk of metal in it, need new tire now.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    We're looking to buy a van real soon. we've narrowed down to the Quest and the Grand Caravan. We love the Quest's styling, modern interior and comfortable seats. Funny but the lack of 3rd row split seating has become the biggest sticking point. Having had a GC as a rental for 2 weeks, my wife has grown to really appeciate this feature, particular she plans to carry a double stroller in the van all the time. We have 3 kids, so the 3rd row will always be occupied with one car seat which makes the Quest's fold-into-floor-3rd-row feature practically disappear. If we keep a hugh double stroller in the well, will there be enough room left for groceryies?? Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks!
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    We use a double (front / back, not side-by-side) and leave it in the well all the time. I do put groceries (for five) around and on top of the stroller without issue
    Thanks! That's comforting to hear. I believe ours is a front/back stroller too (it's still in the box and hasn't be opened yet). Does your stroll pretty much take up the whole well widthwise? Thanks.
    Are the only choices for the Quest (225/65 -16) the Eagle LS2? Is there an "equivalent" size you cna use if you were to replace all four tires?
    We replaced just the one...with the big piece of metal in it. $172.

It was the Eagle LS2 but the 17" (225/60).

I think you can go with any brand of tire you desire, as long as you keep the proper size.

I'm not sure of comparable brands to the LS2; when the time comes to change all, I’m sure I’ll do the research then.
    We found that the 3rd row non-split was not an issue for us at all. Although I guess if it had it we wouldn’t complain.

The compartment that the 3rd row folds into is huge. Not know how big your stroller is I would venture to say it would easily fit in there and the grocers on top (with the hooks being there).

Our kids are out of strollers (planning more), but since we’re going to keep the van much longer than we will use the stroller we didn’t see it as a big issue.

You can also stand the stroller up and tie it to one side (left) in the back. There are tie-hooks everywhere.

I would take the stroller to the dealership and try out various combinations…even ask to take the van home for the night/evening.

I recently took a huge desk (200+ lbs) 6’+ to the recycle center and I did it with the second row seats still in (and upright). I just slid the desk in and it barely passed between the two second row seats…very useful van.
    Thanks!
    Ditto. We also use a double stroller, and there is plenty of room back there.
  • 953953 Member Posts: 3
    yes there is tons of room in the Quest. I test drove everything out there and to me the Quest felt the roomiest. We have 4 kids, 2 that are past the little kid stage and in the growing long legs stage, and 2 that we need a booster and a car seat for. We knew we needed something to accomodate baby gear and growing kids and the Quest had both.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I agree withthe suggestion to bring the stroller to the dealer. In 1990 I bought the Mercury Capri (Conv.) which featured a fold down seat with pass through to the trunk. I used to Ski a lot and needed to know if my skis would fit, so I brought them to the showroom
    I know the 04s had a lot of problems. Does anybody know when exactly in 2004 Nissan corrected all the build quality problems? I'm looking at several Quests made in Oct 04, and wondering if it's safe to buy them. Thanks.
    I'm curious, how do you tell when it's built?
    The date is posted on a sticker on the side panel next to the driver's door.
    Or, you can simply ask them :)
    I checked that place before and somehow missed it. Yes, I found it and mine was also built in 10/04. I knew it was one of the early 2005s since the VIN ends with 104xxx. Anyway, so far so good (5 weeks and 850 miles only). I'm looking forward to travelling to the Smokies over the weekend.

You may want to check http://www.nissanhelp.com for Technical Service Bulletin info on 2005 Quests. The only thing that you want to make sure is Service Bulletin Num : 04144 regarding 4sp auto transmission lack of power problem. It affects all 2004s and 2005s built before Sept. 17, 2004 (VINs ending 101196 or lower.)
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I'm not sure anyone without inside knowledge of the Canton facility can tell when and whether Nissan corrected all of the early build problems, but I think it's safe to assume that the later '04s (October would qualifiy) are a better bet and that's probably reflected in the 05 quality improvements. The "customer service initiative" was announced in July, 04, so that's a pretty good benchmark for Nissan being aware of the issues and having developed fixes that should have filtered down to the assembly line. If any of those issues persist, the initiative (or recall) doesn't end until June 30, 05, so you can still bring an '04 in. Also, don't forget to verify the warranty extension to 5 yrs/ 60K.
    If it makes you feel better, I missed it the 1st time too. And thanks for the info. Maybe it should be fine to get this van.
    This van we're interested has over 400 miles on it. Apparently it's been test driven the heck out of it. I've gotten the dealer to drop the price below $20K. Is this a good buy? I'll also post this on the "price paid" board.
  • tflashtflash Member Posts: 2
    The '05 Quest does not have the problems of the '04. I bought one of the first '05 Quests in 2004. I love my '05 Quest and the only issue I had was a rattle noise in the slider door. Go ahead and buy a '05 Quest with confidence, I owned an Odyssey and Mazda MPV and looked at the Sienna - the Quest is superior to all.
    It is probably a safe bet. All 2004 Quest had their warranty extened to 5 yr/60k miles. I have a Quest S and love it. Even with all the rattles (fixed), it is a fun van to drive. Plus I like the fact mine is not a Toyota, Honda or DC. And people love the center console.

ow if my wife can stop puttin dents in it......
    Man, what a journey it has been! This evening we finally made the committment and bought a base S model for $650 under invoice (yes, you read right). After the 2K rebate, the price was $21751, and we paid a hair below $24K out of the door. The van has floor mats, splash guards, microfilter, cargo cover and cargo organizer. Too bad this van was made right after Nissan's price increase, otherwise we could've gotten it for $252 less. But we spent the extra $300 (after tax) for the color we liked. The van is still in transit on the delivery truck. Our sales person was nice enough to offer to deliver the van to our home when it gets there. I'll post a review once we get it. This dealership is a little out of the way, but the trip was worth it. Mainly worked with the salesperson over the phone. They have a flat pricing of $500 below invoice, so most of the back and forth was about locating the vehicle we wanted. We were fortunate to have 2 dealers offer us $500 below invoice, but this one had a lower out of the door price (lower misc. fees) and the saleperson was extremely pleasant to work with. what a difference this makes in the overall buying experience. They also found a better rate of 4.99 for 60 months. I'd highly recommend this dealer to anyone buying in the pacific northwest. :shades:
    My wife and I went back and forth between the Quest and the DGC SXT. It came down to the price. The Quest we bought has standard side curtain airbags, traction control, 4 wheel disk ABS, power passenger side door, power liftgate, parking sonar assist, power rear flip out window, and of course the small stuff like floor mats, splash guards, microfilter, cargo cover and cargo organizer. To get those things in a Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, we would've paid about $23K, 1K more than the Nissan. We tried real hard in the beginning to get the DGC, but sort of gave up on it once we realized it wasn't gonna happen for $22K. The feature we miss the most in the Caravan is the 3rd row plit seating. We love the 2nd row stow-n-go as well, but the Quest's 2nd row almost folds flat although without the two storage wells. On the other hand, we love the Quest's vast head and leg room, big and comfy seats, and its modern querky looks inside and out ;) We also considered the base model Quest which doesn't have the power door and hatch and rear sonar but is $15K cheaper. Finally we decided it'd be worth paying the extra for the added convenience. BTW, the Dodge salesperson was very nice to work with. Happy motoring everybody :shades:
    Congratulations!!! You got a great price. The 2005 Quest S has more standard features then the 2004 Quest S. The good thing is the quality has improved for 2005. Good luck.
    Thanks man. My persistence in getting the best price even out patienced one of the salespersons I worked with. For several hundred dollars more, we could've gotten a 100K mile/10 year warranty and life time free oil changes at another dealer, but I decided they were probably not worth the extra money.

I wasn't aware that the 05 S has more features than the 04 S. What extras does it have? The rear sonar is really neat.
    05 S added power passenger door, power rear vent windows, power tailgate, and rear sonar.
    Thanks. Did Nissan raise the price of the S model too?
  • billncatbillncat Member Posts: 16
    Just adding some positive vibe about our 05 Quest SE purchase. We have 1500miles on it in 3 weeks of ownership. The only issues we are having is a piece of interior trim plastic came loose around the door (easy fix) and....

Since setting the seat/mirror/pedal memory for my wife (1) and myself (2), when we place the vehicle in reverse, only on mirror tilts down. The mirror that tilts is the mirror that is selected by the swtich on the remote mirror adjustment. If it is to the left, the left moves...the right, the right mirror moves....in the middle, none move.

Anyone else experience this? Is there an adjustment I need to know about somewhere??? :confuse:

I haven't taken this to the dealer yet as I'm waiting to get a few more miles on it. I did change the oil at 1300 miles to Mobil 1 0w-40. I did the same thing to my 04 Nissan Titan. That quiet engire is even more quiet.

We love this vehicle and are extremely happy with our purchase.