Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• geaux_tigersgeaux_tigers Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 SE had problems with the brakes. The rotors were warped and the dealer had to turn them and clean the pads. Am I alone to think that this is unusual at only 13,000 miles?

BTW, Nissan only warranties this for 1 yr/12,000 miles so I was out of luck.

I have seen some other postings and I am wondering if this problem is widespread.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Without my instrument panel in front of me…my 05 Quest SE has a front defog and rear defog button on the same round dial. This is activated by pushing the top of the dial (push front for front, rear for rear)

Our climate control system is usually on all the time, so we never get fogged up.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Geaux_tigers, you'll probably get a better idea of how widespread the problem is by checking with the folks in the Nissan Quest Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    I agree with you about the lack of split fold-down third row. I have, however, found a way to accomplish something similar with my Quest. Flipping down one of the second row seats has, on occasion, given me similar cargo flexibility and you can still seat six. We have also flipped down one of the second row seats while traveling with my wife and I and our 5 year old and 18 month old. I am driving, my 5 year old is in the one second row seat and my wife and 18 month old are in the third row. Flipping that unoccupied second row seat gives my wife even more room to stretch out her legs.
    As for no second row roll down windows. I am happy with the skyview and the third row power flip open windows.
    Your opinion on advertising differences between Nissan and Honda I definitely agree with you on that one. In fact, as I'm writing this the " Mom's have changed, shouldn't the mini van" commercial just ran on t.v.
  • tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    I did reset the trip computer every time, at least one of the 3 (or2?) trips. I thought the displayed mpg is the efficiency at that moment or averaged every 5 miles or something. Is it not? If not, do I need to reset all 3 or 2 trips?
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Well, we bit the bullet and took the kids to see Mickey! Was a 10 hour drive for us. We had two adults, one teenager, and three kids. We had plently of space for our suitcases, pillows, and toys, etc. All the storage areas proved well used during the trip. We averaged 23.8 MPG for the entire trip (I reset the MPG figures before we left and at fill up). The kids watched movies, the teenager slept and listed to CD's. We enjoyed the Bose radio and its RDS features. We 'discovered' during this trip that you can use RDS to search for stations, which was cool. As usual for our van, no noises, squeeks, rattles, or problems. We now have around 16,000 trouble free miles on it. The AC cooled fine, even in the July 4th FL heat. Actually, we couldn't leave the rear AC higher than 2 as the kids complained of being cold. We also discovered that if you hold down the unlock button on the key fob, the windows roll down. This was a nice feature when coming back to the scorching hot van in the WDW parking lots. We saw more Quest in Orlando than we have ever seen.
    We still love our Quest and recommend it to all with kids! :)
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I don't consider myself overly paranoid, but, in considering purchase, I was checking the Quest manual to see what it said about the now inevitable "data recorder" on vehicles, and here's what popped up.

"Special equipment can be used to access the electronic data that may be stored in the vehicle's computers (sounds are not recorded). NISSAN and NISSAN dealers have equipment to access some of this data; others may also have this
    equipment. The data may be retrieved during routine vehicle servicing or for special research. It might also be accessed with the consent of the vehicle owner or lessee, in response to a request by law enforcement, or as otherwise required or
    permitted by law."

I know this isn't necessarily particular to Nissan, and I know these recorders have some diagnostic benefits. But I still can't get behind having "law enforcement" with access to information collected on a vehicle that is owned by me but the collection of which I have no control over. IMO, manufacturers in general and Nissan in particular needs to give us more than a couple of brief paragraphs on this whole concept. Whaddya think?
  • paanmcpaanmc Member Posts: 4
    Tamu2002:

You may have already taken care of this by now, but in case not...

We bought a LATCH "retrofit" for one our car seats (our newer seat is already LATCH enabled). It's basically just a short piece of seatbelt web, with hooks at both ends and an adjustor. I think we got it at Babys R Us, or one of those stores where they carry lots of seats and strollers (we originally bought it for our older car). Even if you get a new LATCH seat, it just has a similar piece already attached to it (at least ours did).

BTW, you replied a while back to one of my postings about a double stroller in the back -- I assume you've now tried that? We now have a single, but may soon be upgrading to a double (the kind that also holds the infant carrier in front). Any problems fitting? I'm assuming not, but thinking it might need to sit upright. Thanx!
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I'm not sure about your vehicle but in my SE, the MPG button is different than the trip button. In other words, the MPG does NOT reset when you reset the trip meters. I think you have to hold down the MPG button for several seconds until it resets itself.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Double stroller does not have to be standing upright in mine.
    That's how my SE works as well.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    Any 04+ owners notice when you turn on the A/C, and you set it to bilevel (face and foot), that vent in the front for both the driver and passenger side is blowing directly at your ankle making driving extremely uncomfortable. My complaint is strictly based on the fact that all the other cars I have driven in my lifetime blows A/C around the footwell area and cooling the entire space, but for the Quest, I end up getting one ankle that is frozen while everything else is still not cooled. My wife also noticed exact same thing whenever she drives. Any one else noticed this.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Not the trip meter but a separate button with 'fuel econ' sign on it, i think. I push it once, it shows the mpg figure (I just checked the manual, it's averaged over a whole period since last reset) then I push it on for a second or two, it will reset. It's 2005 SL, I'm not sure if there is a difference between models.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Well, my 05 SL model does not have that front defog button... That would have been great for me.
    Thanks. Yes, we have bought a double stroller since and it fits just fine in the rear well when folded. I don't think though it'll fit unfolded. We've also solved the car sear problem by buying a new booster for our soon-to-be 5 year old and used the one with LATCH on our 2 year old. Today we just brought home our 3rd baby (yeh!). I think we'll just buy a good infant car seat with a base and put the baby in the 2nd row seat and move our oldest one to the back. We do have another infant car seat but that one doesn't have LATCH. Maybe we can get a kit for it as you did for yours. We'll see.

And thanks guys and gals for your enlightenment on the features! I didn't realize the resetting of the mpg button and the windows roll down feature with the unlock button. I just tried them and they worked as you said! :surprise: I can't wait to take our Quest on the road tomorrow to see what mpg I'll get. Given this finding it seems the computer is almost right on!

I also think I've found what's causing the rattles in our van. I think it's the outside panels that cover up the sliding door tracks. I tapped on the panel and duplicated the same noise. Are they just loose? Is it hard to correct? Has anybody here experiences this?
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    We have an 05 SL that's used a s a company vehicle and by my family. It has almost 12,000 miles on it since purchased new in December.

We averaged 22.8 mpg for the first 6,000 - by actual logbook. That includes break-in and a lot of winter driving (30-40 mph on highway, for example). The highest tank we've recorded so far is 26.5, on a mostly highway trip NH-MA-CT-NH going 70-75 withe the AC on.

Even the minivan haters at work - you know, those ridiculous people who drive around by themselves in a gigantic SUV so that others won't think they're middle-aged parents (fooling no one) - really enjoy driving this van. The 5spd and leather wheel on the SL and SE are big plusses.

Why isn't it more popular? INCREDIBLE stupidity by Nissan marketing folks on the speedometer. A bad manufacturing start - Detroit grade. Auto Writers who seemed to read other reviews and then pile on - including factual errors.

The speedometer takes ten minutes to get used to. The fact that the Mini Cooper has been a smash hit with a central speedometer pod while NISSAN got blasted in this market shows what a miscalculation it was. Now that the manufacturing problems are behind them, the ride, handling, performance, operating economy, room, and looks of this vehicle - and a $2,500 rebate - are getting some momentum in the marketplace. We've had no problems and the 05 seems to have addressed the build quality issues of the 04 as promised.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I agree totally on the marketing concept. If a company takes a chance on doing something different, the company has to be prepared to sell that difference or not bother doing it. If Nissan decided that relocating the instruments and creating the pod was worthwhile on a totally redesigned vehicle, it should have been prepared to market the car in a way that made buyers comfortable with the ideas--from both an aesthetic and practical point of view--or stick with the traditional. As it stands, Nissan redesigned the vehicle, tried to sell other aspects of it, but just sort of left the instruments and the pod to speak for themselves, with predictable results. Now they are more or less running away from the whole idea and doing a redesign of the instruments for 07 (?) giving people like me who are on the fence even more pause.
    Has anybody read this article on Edmunds?:

Who benefits from side and head airbags?

It says:
    "For example, the 2004 Nissan Quest offered a head curtain airbag that covered only the first and second rows, even though it offered third-row seating. For 2005, the head curtain airbag in the Quest is large enough to protect all three rows."

Is this true? I was under the impression that the 2004 has curtain airbags for all three rows. See the owner's manual here (page 38 aka 1-22):

owner's manual

I bought a late-in-the-year 2004, so maybe the research I did online was actually referring to the 2005? I only have one kid using the third row now, in the center position, so I guess it's not the end of the world, but occasionally we will rearrange and have an adult back there. I specifically discussed this safety feature with my sales rep. As usual I knew more about the vehicle than they did... I will be disappointed if I was misled.
    That is a surprise. When we purchased our 05 we were also informed the side air bags protected the third row passengers, which I also assumed the 04’s did. I would also assume that the error is on the Edmunds article and not the manufacturer’s auto manual (since that should have been thoroughly reviewed…for legal purposes)

Even though side airbags are not designed to protect smaller children, I always thought they offered some protection from the broken glass and projectiles.
    I saved my 04 Quest detailed, color brochure. I am looking at the section on safety. It clearly states "there are standard roof mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags with front,second-and third-row outboard head protection."
    They have a large color picture clearly showing this. I just checked the Nissan wesite. It is the same information and the same picture that is on the website for the 05's. Edmunds has clearly made a mistake in the article. How does one get them to correct their mistake>
    I'm sure our moderator will read this very soon!...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The best thing to do would be to use the Help link at the top of the page to provide that feedback. You could also stop by and leave a note for editor-in-chief Karl Brauer in Karl's Daily Log Book. Thanks!
    Read the long-term test here - the 04 Quest they tested:

"The Quest is merely an average handler," Erin wrote in her notes. "It felt predictable in the turns of state highways 17 and 152, but definitely no more so than a Sienna or Odyssey and less confident than a Grand Caravan.' [I really, really want to know what Erin's credentials are for evaluationg handling performance.]

Excellent visibility somewhat offset the rather dull driving experience, Erin noted in the logbook.

Karl had this to say: "I don't know if the steering is as good as either the Grand Caravan's or the Honda Odyssey's (the segment benchmarks in my opinion), but it certainly isn't loose or unresponsive." [Well, at least he admits he doesn't know something]

"Neither Stacie nor I was impressed by the front seats," Karl said. "They were flat and thinly padded. I wouldn't call them uncomfortable, but the seats in the Grand Caravan, Odyssey and Sienna look and feel far plusher. The lack of lateral bolstering and overall support is weak for a 21st century minivan."

Erin's major gripes had to do with the short seat bottom, which didn't support her thighs,..." [I dunno about new Caravans but we have a 1999 and the seat bolster is exactly the same length - it's just more rounded on the leading edge.]

"The second-row captain's chairs aren't especially well cushioned,..."

Karl said that he had no difficulty installing his children's safety seats in the second row, thanks to the spacious quarters and locking retractor seatbelts. "However, our van has only one power-operated sliding door (on the passenger side)," he noted. "This is OK, because the manual driver-side door is so easy to operate; in fact, it's so easy to operate that if you use too much muscle it rattles and bangs in the frame as it hits its stop point. I constantly had to tone down my effort level when opening it to avoid feeling like I might break it."

Our editors were divided on the practicality of our minivan's center-mounted instrumentation. Karl, a staunch opponent, commented, "I never have, and I never will, like to have my primary dials in the center of the dash. I don't care what the automakers try to claim about 'depth of field' and 'focal points' and 'safety' issues. It's a cost-cutting measure that allows the automakers to more easily switch between left- and right-hand drive markets, plain and simple. Also, what's with the tiny temp and fuel gauges? I can handle the temp gauge being small and obscure because most modern cars have very effective cooling systems, but fuel information is too important to stick in a tiny, obscure LCD display. This bothers me more than the central location of the entire gauge cluster (though the two factors contribute to the overall failure of the gauge design). The gauge design and the flat, unsupportive seats are my two biggest gripes with the Quest." [Question - in what countries with right-hand drive is the Quest sold - to prove his point? It's not sold in Japan or the UK, that I could find]

"Storage space in the cabin was a problem for both Karl and Erin. "It seems odd to run out of storage in a minivan," Erin said, "but the door bins and dash bins are small and there's no center console or folding tray. Our stuff was ultimately all over the floor."[Hmm, that bin that runs the ENTIRE width of the dash didn't help?]

From Karl's logbook: "The fold-down cupholders at the base of the driver seat are a poor substitute for a center console." [Yes, big fat consoles are great until you have to climb over one. The Quest solution makes a great deal more sense for daily use.]

And the summary:

"Unlike the Altima and G35, which could arguably be considered class benchmarks in each of their respective segments," Karl wrote in his notes, "the Quest is merely competitive rather than being class-leading in any one way (except maybe styling). The engine, suspension and interior storage are all good, but these are also good in the current Dodge, Honda and Toyota offerings. If it was also competitive in terms of ergonomics and seat comfort, it could be considered a class benchmark…but it's not (and the Toyota and Honda are). A solid effort by Nissan, but nothing to keep the competitors up at night (which the Altima and Infiniti G35 surely did)."

Almost every one who I've taken for a ride in this vehicle, or who has driven it, has one thing to say about the seats, handling, acceleration, and performance - "Wow!"

Roll down side windows and a split third seat are not something that everyone wants. But larger sliding doors - that would be a universally Good Thing, right? Don't see mention anywhere.

Can't comment on the build quality because I have an 05.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Not sure if the reviewers actually ahve sat int he 2nd row of the Grand Caravan. The Stow n Go is a neat concept but it sacrifices the 2nd row seats. They are pretty narrow in my opinion esp. if you have to raise the headrests.

The basic problem with this review is it is simply a comparison between the Grand Caravan, Odyssey and Sienna and it does not reiview the Quest on its own merits. This is fine if you believe these 3 vans are the end-all, be-all. I guess in their book, Nissan should have simply copied one of those vans and called it a day.

This is why I put little weight in what any reviewer has to say about any car. Go out and test drive the cars you like and buy what fits your needs the best.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    To be honest I never put the setting on bi-level when I have the A/C on. Why blow cool air to the bottom of the van? Cold air will naturally "drop" to the bottom. Which is why the cold air comes out of the roof of the van in the rear seats? If it is uncomfortable, move the setting to face only. It will solve your problem and help cool your van quicker. Just a thought.
    Yeah right, the reviewers. If the Quest doesn't have comfy seats, I don't know who does. and they complained about LACK of storage spaces? Give me a break. To me the auto writers are a pretentious bunch who rarely writes anything relevant to the salary earning folks. One's better off going to to dealer lot and check out the vehicles for himself. Other than reliability, the consumers don't really need that much advice. After all who cares who beats who in what, if one can't tell the difference for himself or doesn't care? Buy what suits YOU the best.
    It's a lot of fun playing with that mpg button. I keep resetting it to see what mpg I can for different driving. The other day I got it up to 60.8 mpg on the highway :surprise: !...well ok it was a 2 mile downhill with the gear in neutral ;) But still impressive. Who needs a hybrid? On flat highway our van gets consistently above 22 mpg. Play with it, it's fun!
    We've !1500 miles now. When did you guys and gals do the 1st oil change. Our last new car I changed the oil after 1K. Also, is it a bad idea to use synthetic oil this early?
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    If you do your oil change every 3k miles (as per Nissan maintenance), you don't need to use synthetic.
    We put in a Purolator Pure One filter and Mobil One at 7,500 miles. We'll change them every 7,500 miles. This will generate very high quality waste oil but some of our other vehicles seem to have benefitted from this regimen.

Because the manufacturing tolerances are much tighter and many manufacturers specially formulate the oil that comes in the vehicle, driving it a "normal" interval is generally recommended. Our 05 Honda Accord specifically stated not to replace the oil early on the first change.

We have oil analysis done on our company (and my personal) vehicles. Even with 7500 mile changes the oil we are dumping out is still doing the job. We'd extend the interval but this is 3-6 months of driving for most of our vehicles so other maintenance is done at the same time: tire rotation, lubrication of doors, other filters, etc.

But the "My father changed the oil and filter every 3,000 mile" crowd will not be dissuaded by scientific evidence to the contrary. You can find many forums devoted to this "discussion" www.bobistheoilguy.com is oneof the more popular and rational ones.
  • vq35devq35de Member Posts: 12
    I have a Silver Mist '05 Quest SE...

1. Myron & Davis 9" flip down screen (still searching for a Dolby / DTS capable DVD player)
    2. Pirelli PZero tires (245/55/R17 wider and lower profile, but maintains overall diameter)
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Hi,
    I'm glad I found your post since I asked if anyone has recently replaced their tires on the 05 Quest SE, but got no reply so far. Can you tell me when you replace the original set of tires with the current ones (mileage)? Did the original tires wear out as badly as some people experienced (as posted in the board "Problems &Solutions")? BTW I also have the Myron&Davis DVD player system. It doesn't have the plug-in for video games as Nissan system, right? Can you get an after-market that does? It thought it's kind of shame I paid almost as much as the factory-installed system and didn't get the same features.
    Phuc
    I replaced my tires with only 300 miles on them. I did so only because I am a performance car enthusiast and wanted to go with wider lower profile tires for summer and fall driving. I plan to use the original ones for the winter.

As far as the DVD, I only have the M&D 9" screen right now. I am looking for a DVD player with TV tuner. I am most likely going to buy the Boss Audio DVD 3800T. It is MP3/DVD/CDR/CDRW & SDVD compatible, TV tuner, digital audio output and front AV jacks. http://www.bossaudio.com/home/catalog/public_html/catalog.php?sNs=1&deptNum=2
  • calivcaliv Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have been looking for a 05' SE... We've found a few but none with the Nav System. Every time I ask no one has been able to give me a straight answer regarding a dealer or self install of the factory Nav System... Has anyone done it, can it be done?

Thanks
    It can be done. I'm researching this now. Check out some of the 350Z forums, some have done it. For the Quest, you'll need the LCD screen, DVD ROM GPS unit, nav/stereo control unit, wiring harnesses and the nav CD ROM. i believe there is a gps antenna also. I'm trying to get all the part numbers now and I'll post them when I have them.

As far as finding one with Nav already installed, have the dealer do a locate for you. Most dealers are willing look as far as 300 mile radius. I don't know where you're located, but there is a black on beige 05 SE with nav and DVD at a dealer near me in Buffalo, NY.

Good luck.
  • calivcaliv Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'll check the 350Z sources... when you get part numbers post them!!
  • austaraustar Member Posts: 3
    My new Quest was delivered with 42 psi in each tire. I asked the dealer and he said that this is the correct tire pressure. I am use to running a car with 32 psi. Does any one know what the correct tire pressure is on a 2005 Quest should be?
    If you open your drivers side door there should be a sticker in that area that lists the proper cold psi for your tires. I have an 04 SL with Goodyear LS2 tires. The proper cold psi listed is 35 psi.
    How do you install a flip down dvd player in an SE with the skyview and overhead console? There isn't enough flat roof space.
    June 04 Car & Driver minvan comparision, while not a glowing review of the Quest, had a quote that, in my opinion summerizes why I love my Nissan Quest. At the end of their review they said " The Quest manages to be a rarity in the minivan realm--it stirs up emotion."
    An atricle in Autoweek online quoted Nissan's top designer as saying the 06 Quest will get an interior face lift. It doesn't go into detail about the face lift, but does indicate that it will make the interior "less radical." Nissan is blaming the "radical interior " as one of the main reason for the poor Quest sales #'s.
  • 2point542point54 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone heard about when the 06's will be available? Lots of auto companies' 2006 models are available now.

It looks like the Quest will be my next van, but I'm one of the "less radical" buyers and would like to see a more traditional instrument cluster and accessory control panel.
    Last year the 05's didn't start showing up, in Phoenix, till late September, early October. So, I'd imagine the 06's will be showing up about that time. It will be interesting to see what they do. I'm not sure it is going to be such an extreme face lift that they'd completely move the instrument cluster. That seems to be something they'd do with a complete redisgn. We'll see.
  • cgriswoldcgriswold Member Posts: 9
    I was able to patch my iPod thew the DVD player this weekend on my 2004 SL. Just plug into the L/R RCA's on the front of the DVD player and select the DVD from the steering wheel mode switch, turn up the volume and enjoy.

I was also able to confirm, from my dealer, that for the 2004 Quest the warranty has been up graded to 6/60 from 3/30.

C Griswold
  • vpmuttavpmutta Member Posts: 8
    I have nissan quest SE 2004 with all options(navigation,sun roof,moon roof,cd changer etc). When I want to upgrade my navigation dvd, I contacted the dealer,he mentioned navigation dvd cost $580. Can anyone suggest where is the best place to buy navigation DVD ?

TIA
    Venkata
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    Check your nav manual- the exerpt below is from the 2005 nav manual, and might not be the same.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To order updated mapping DVD-ROMs or additional
    DVD-ROMs, please contact the NISSAN
    Navigation System help desk at:
    o ADDRESS: P .O. Box 2082, Burlingame, CA
    o E-MAIL: customersupport@zenrin.com
    o WEB SITE: www.zenrin.com
    o PHONE: 1-888-661-9995
    o HOURS: 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I did not install a combo flip down system, only the screen. Check out the Myron & Davis OEM flip down screens. They install right where the factory one do. They have a 7.8" one (ANS178) available, but I opted to upgrade and go with the 9" screen(ANS190) I installed a single DIN DVD player where the factory one goes under the passenger seat...
  • billy8billy8 Member Posts: 11
    If you have warped rotors on your 2004-05Quest see my post on 2004 problems and solutions post# 1427
  • awangawang Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I wonder if you have found where the two microfilters are for the Quest 2004. I took the glovebox off and did not see any sign of filter. Can you give me some guidence?

Andy
  • edmeyer01edmeyer01 Member Posts: 5
    hi y'all today I saw 2 06 Quests on the Nissan lot nearby. The interior is unchanged. One of the 2 was an SE and that had a fold up tray added between the front seats but it looked kinda cheap and tacked on.

Both of the 06's were 'Special Editions', although I couldn't figure out what made them special. One was an SE and one was an S model and prices seemed about the same as the 05's.

Seeing these confirmed that there are no interior mods for 06, but it leaves me guessing to think that the '07 model with big interior revisions is in the piepline and probably coming sooner than 12 months from now. Who knows, maybe all 06's are special editions.