Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Has anyone installed a bra on their Quest? I am considering a bra that just covers the hood and not the entire front end. I noticed a couple of chip marks on the hood and don' want any further damage.
  • eyeblindeyeblind Member Posts: 156
    Two new features added to the 06 Quest are a rearview camara system( standard on SE, option on SL if you choose the special edition pkg) and 19" Michelin PAX System tires (option on SL & SE.)
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Bras can be a lot of trouble...difficult to remove :blush: and maintain.
    Have you considered a hood deflector?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • vq35devq35de Member Posts: 12
    Rearview camera system?? Where's the display screen? I would imagine it would only come with the ones equipped with navigation?
    They have a picture of the it in the Quest picture gallery on the NissanUSA website
    Under SL Limited Edition Package they have it listed as rearview monitor and color information center 7" LCD monitor. It appears that you don't have to have NAV system to get it.
    Have you thought about a clear bra? I've had one for a year and it has been great.
  • plashenickplashenick Member Posts: 165
    I have the Nisan-made Bra and do not find it a big deal.

It covers just the front-end. First time took 1 hour to install as I had to change two bolts for mounting points and then had to stretch the bra (60 deg F outside).

Since then it takes about 15 minutes to put on. I have had no issues with it.
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    For those using the Bra, make sure you take it off every once in awhile and wash your front end and dry it before putting it back on. The top edge of the Bra (especially the piece for the hood), will gradually trap small dirt, grime, and sand as you drive. This after some time will act like a sand paper and dull the paint leaving a very distinct silhouette of the bra etched onto the paint. I have seen this first hand.
    Where did you get the clear bra?
    I'm open to options. I was afraid the hood deflector would change the washer fluid spray pattern when the vehicle is moving. I had one on my Explorer and liked it. I'm just trying to protect the front part of the hood. I'm not too wild about getting the bra that covers the entire front end.

Is the deflector easy to install or is it better to have a professional do it?
  • cirrusscirruss Member Posts: 87
    The deflector is quite easy to install, and it comes with instructions when you buy it direct from your local Nissan dealer. The install will take anywhere from 1/2 to 1 hour. Haven't noticed the deflector affecting the washer nozzle.
  • drpowerdrpower Member Posts: 1
    What did you pay for your ANS190? Did you install it yourself? I am looking at getting one for my '04 SE. I'd like to do it myself.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    3.5 SL Special Edition Package
    • Special Edition badges
    • Power sliding rear driver-side door
    • Puddle lights
    • Rearview camera
    • Rear sonar system
    • Color Information Center 7.0" LCD monitor
    • In-dash 6-CD changer

....and about $7k less than the SE.

Also noticed that you can now get 19" wheels on the SE model. Will be interested in looking closer at these to see how they got the extra clearance. Also mentioned an organizer in the floor instead of the spare tire. Must be simlar to the Honda option.

Seems Nissan is now throwing the value into the Quest to peak sales. Good move Nissan! I was a little shocked they didn't redesign the dash due to all the talk about folks not liking the layout. But, as I've said before, we like the dash.
    I got my clear bra installed at a local auto deatil shop. It covers half the hood, the whole front bumper & the side mirrors. You can hardly tell it is there. You wash it and wax it just like paint, it doesn't dull your paint and can be removed very easily. It cost $450 dollars. I've also seen it advertized at my dealers service department.
    19" wheels and a LCD info monitor... I knew I should have waited for an '06!
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    and rear view camera, if the rebates continue, this is the year to buy one. For backing up, the rear sonar alone is really useful, but I'd also get the rearview camera for added safety.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    For people intent on purchasing now, I just don't see the 06 as adding enough value to compensate for the 05 pricing, particularly on an SE, assuming $$$ are an issue. Sure there's a few nice new things on the 06s (there always are) but I'm seeing huge discounts on remaining 05's that I don't expect to be available on 06s for quite awhile. Without totally analyzing the situation, there may be enhancements to some trim levels that increase the value ratio (S "special edition"), but if you consider stability control as "must have" technology these days (I do), it appears to me that you're still locked into an SE-- or an SL with Michelin run-flats, which I have no use for at all. The LCD is IMO probably the most useful addition on the 06, but certainly not mandatory. This appears to be a pretty light "refresh," although if one can wait for pricing to get aggressive, there's certainly no reason not to.
  • fizzyhairfizzyhair Member Posts: 20
    That on Nissan's Canadian website, that if you estimate payments on a Quest SL that the finance payments are less then the lease payments for the same amount of time. Also, its less then financing a S by $200. Is that a glitch of the site or what. Would a dealer have to honor that price. If they did, I'd buy it without driving it. :)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I believe that Nissan states, somewhere, that the financing info is just estimates based on assumptions.

That is why when you go to the dealer and go over the financing they say things like “your credit score is not 800, so you don’t qualify for this interest”
  • fizzyhairfizzyhair Member Posts: 20
    Even if they do make assumptions, how can the S cost more then the SL? I think that the estimates on the site should be, at most, $50 either more or less. Not $300 more! So, I think Nissan should check this out.
  • kilarneykilarney Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,
    I bought a 2005 Quest last week and have no regrets. I looked at a ton of minivans, and it boiled down to Honda, Toyota and Nissan. I liked the style of the Nissan the best, and it seems that feature for feature it was less than the Toyota or Honda.
    In any event, I got a great deal on a 2005 since they were trying to clear those out for the 2006 models. Since I could only choose from what was on the lot, I got a 2005 S with the tow package. I had NO desire to get a tow package, but now that I have one, I've actually thought about getting a pop-up camper or something like that.
    Can anyone tell me exactly what the tow package includes? Details online are scarce. Is it just the tow-bar and ball with an electrical connection - or do they add a transmission cooler, better battery, etc.
    I've heard horror stories about transmissions overheating (not on the Quest), so if they do not add a tranny cooler, I don't want to tow anything approaching the maximum weight.
    Am I being too cautious?

Thanks for the help!
  • rrobrrob Member Posts: 51
    We have an '04 SE and are happy with it, but I don't like the sonar much. I parallel park a lot, and find it goes off way too soon to be really useful. I know the tone rises as you get closer to an object, and this works OK, but it's such an intrusive beep, that you can't really use it with passengers, they think the car's gonna blow ;)

That said, we just got an '06 Infiniti M with the backup camera. I'm assuming it might be the same system Nissan will put in the Quest. We LOVE the camera. It projects a path of travel and also has distance markers form the rear projected on the screen. It is very easy to parallel park or back into parking places. I think it will be really useful and glad to see Nissan adding more content to the SL.
    I assume the 04 is the same as our 05 SE...there is a switch to lower left of the steering wheel that turns off the sonar.

I think it's kinda cool (obviously not as cool as a camera...but cheaper).
  • rrobrrob Member Posts: 51
    Thanks - we have one also. I mostly urn it off with passengers, and leave it on when it is just me. I also use the back up sensor in shopping center parking lots. False positives are fewer there and it is helpful in detecting pedestrians.
    I actually got a scare a few days ago.

I was beginning to back out of a parking spot at Wal-Mart when the sonar had a solid tone. I looked back but saw nothing; then a moment later a small child went walking by. This small child stopped to let their parents catch up.

It was only a brief moment…and I assume the child would have walked on before I would have backed into them…I looked back and around, but saw nothing…big trucks on either side.

I always back up slowly too…just freaked me out…
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    A few years ago I boight a Fresnel lense for the back window of our cargo van. $10 at an RV shop.

With it in the back window, you can see the ground a few feet behind the vehicle. We now have them on all our vans and station wagons, and I give one to any employee who buys a minivan. Works great.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    Do you put it inside the van or outside?
    I want to have one, maybe Autozone or Walmart sells them.
    Colors are certainly subjective but I'm going to put in a vote for the new 06 red, which I just saw at the dealership with tan interior. I believe it is "red brawn" and it really sparkles--not too dark, not too light. Very nice, IMO.
    It goes onto the rear window. I have not seen them at WalMart or AutoZone.
  • zeliemarkzeliemark Member Posts: 1
    Being new to the minivan world as we have just started our family, this discussion board has led me to the Quest. First test drive yesterday and we were impressed. Pretty decent deals on '05 closeouts in this neck of the woods, however, selection is limited. Any thoughts on the installed DVD player vs. portable units with travel kits that allow secure attachment in the vehicle. The cost difference is pretty significant. Thanks for any advice.
    For less money than the MSRP of the factory single screen DVD system($1500) you can have a Myron and Davis DVD system installed w/ a bigger 9" screen that fits in the stock location so it looks just like factory. To save even more you can go with the 7.8" screen. Check out http://www.myronanddavis.com/pdut.asp?cateid=12.
    Another option to the overhead dvd's is a headrest dvd. www.autobarn.com sells 2 Visualogic built in headrest dvd monitors( one for the drivers side headrest & 1 for the passengers side headrest), dvd player, 2 wireless head phones & wireless remote for $1,299.00. They are custom made using the exact Quest headrest and fabric colors(both cloth and leather.) You can get a single headrest & dvd player for $799.00. I like the headrest monitors because I think they are easier to watch, especially for kids. They are looking straight ahead rather than up. Walmart also has a nifty little unit for $238.00. It has two 7" screens that hook into one dvd player. Each screen can strap to the back of the head rests. You can also hook a playstaion or xbox into one screen so one child can play games on one screen and another can watch a dvd on the other screen. These units also give you the versitility of using them in the 2nd or 3rd row or one in each row.
    What ever you decide I think you have more options for less money if you don't go with the factory dvd option.
    Good Luck
    How do you post a direct link to a website in a forum reply?

Thanks
    What types of close out deals are there?

We purchased our 05 SE in May and had a 3,500 ( or so...can't remember now) rebate on top of negotiated price, as well as 3% financing.

I thought there ALWAYS were deals on the Quest...meaning you may be able to wait and get the exact one you wanted.

FWIW...
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    eyeblind,

Click the "URL" button underneath the box where you're composing your post. Paste in the web address of the site, and then click the "URL" button again. You'll see the words "link title" in the code -- you can replace that with the actual name of the website so that readers will know where you're sending them (otherwise, the hyperlink in your finished post will just say "link title").

Please remember that our terms of usage forbid linking to another online auto community, or to a website that promotes your business.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

In my area--a very competitive market--there were very few 05 SEs without dual DVD at this point, and those without were mostly red interior. While they are cutting excellent deals, you still have to pay quite a bit for the DVD option, so if you don't want it (or want to go aftermarket) there's something of a cost to accepting an "unwanted" option. In addition, the 7 inch screens aren't exactly state of the art at this point.

There were more "S" models in 05s so there may be more flexibility without DVD at the lower end.
  • pierpier Member Posts: 79
    I lease a 04 Quest 3.5S. Over a period of 22 months the vehicle has been 18 visits (6 of them were combined with regular services) resulting in 22 days at the dealer, the vehicle generated 45 warranty-related repairs

Mirrors-Trim 7
    Weatherstrips 4
    Diag Brake Concerns 3
    Misc Repairs 3
    Steering-Suspension 3
    Wheels-Tires 2
    Diag Sound System 2
    Electrical Repairs 2
    Noises – Vibration 2
    Adhesive 1
    Second row seat adjustment recall BO114 1
    Replace rear hatch strut ball studs recall BO115 1
    Switch assembly recall BO117 1
    Clean and Detail 1
    Diag Driveability 1
    Hinges 1
    Latches 1
    Power Doors 1
    Rattle Kit Sliding door squeak and rattle kit recall 1
    Right front seat recall (RECALL1) 1
    Shift knob recall (RECALL2) 1
    Sound System Rep 1
    Suspension Noise 1
    Trim Panels 1
    Windows 1
    Door Panel 1

Not only that, but the tires lasted only 30,000 and required new brake pads at 27,000 miles. It is very apparent that this car, if not legally a lemon, is definitely a buyback case due to the nuisance factor caused by poor quality. Considering I have 26 months left and the current average rate of warranty incidents, the car is projected to return to the dealer another 14 times (excluding scheduled maintenance).

After having repeatedly approached Nissan to buy back the vehicle in return for a lease on a new vehicle, I was informed by Nissan Consumer Affairs that they did not consider my case serious enough for buyback. Considering Nissan is committed to improving its 11th position out of 14 auto manufacturers in the J.D. Power and Associates initial-quality survey, this attitude towards quality is hardly encouraging.

:lemon:
    Yup. the 2004's seemed to be pretty bad. Another example of why leasing is a bad idea. And buying a first model year vehicle from a new manufacturing plant still doesn't seem like a good idea no matter who is building it.

Our 2005 has over 13,000 miles on it with no problems at all and extremely impressive mpg (22.3 average for the first 6,000 miles, including break-in and winter) so we feel they've addressed them effectively.
    That's good to know. A friend of ours purchased an 05 base model based on the fact that she liked ours so much (we warned her of the build quality). So far, she has experienced minor teething issues (like the switch assembly popping out - a recall issue in our version).

It really is frustrating. I like the car's engine and driving characteristics. I'm not a minivan person and I still find it a fun car to drive. The myriad of other issues really sour the experience. I have no confidence in the car's safety.

Does anyone have any experience in succesfully acheiving a buyback? Nissan Consumer Affairs are stone walling me (standard corporate behavior in these issues). Should I approach the dealer? If so, should it be the original dealer or my preffered dealer. I really am at my wit's end (although I'll never let Nissan Consumer Affairs know).
  • billy8billy8 Member Posts: 11
    Hi pier
    I would buy you van from you in a New York minute, compared to my 2005 Quest 3.5S yours seems trouble free. I have had my front rotors replaced by the dealer seven times by 8650 miles. I had to pay for all brake repairs, almost $4000.00. Nissan would not cover these parts under warrenty. The dealer also replaced my tires at 6500 miles and charged me almost $900.00. Said I didn't rotate them enough. The final straw was when I was driving down the interstate and the windshield shattered for no reason and blew glass in my face. I couldn't see with glass in my eyes so i ended up going off the road, thru the ditch and ended up in a Walmart parking lot. The steering wheel snapped off when the air bag went off. Only one air bag went off, all the rest defective? My chest was crushed into the steering wheel, otherwise IM ok. I should get out of the hospital in a couple of days. IM in the market for a new van, it won't be a Quest.
    Hi Billy

Incredible! This raises all sorts of questions:

Did you report this incident to NHTSA? The general public needs to know.

Which dealer performed the repairs? Nissan Consumer Affairs needs to be informed. It seems to be gross mismanagement by the service team. Surely the tires were covered by a limited warranty? Aren't the tires supposed to be rotated by the dealer at regular service intervals.

The Nissan Service Manager at Route 23 Auto Mall is a really top notch. I truly feel he is genuinely trying his best however, these issues are wearing him down and my car is a running joke with the service staff.

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune and hope you recover quickly and without much pain. I'm with you - I don't think I will ever lease/buy a Nissan again
    Any pictures of the 2006 Quest with the 19" wheels yet?
    At the nissanusa website in the Quest gallery they have a picture. It is just of the tire and the rim. There is a section of the tire that has been removed so you can see the inside of the tire. The rims look different than the standard rims of all trim levels.
    There are many interesting comments on the Odyssey board about the run-flats. I think I'll pass.
    I am glad that you are going to be o.k. Were you the only one in the van? If so that would explain why the other airbags didn't go off. Passenmgers side airbag only goes off if there is a passenger riding in the van who weighs over a certain weight. The side airbags would only go off in a side collision.
    Was anyone in the passenger seat? There was a recall on the passenger side airbag sensor/control module that enables/disables the airbag depending if there is a passnger or not. The NHTSA campaign number is 04V103000.
  • tom04se6sptom04se6sp Member Posts: 9
    Billy,

I have to ask this... are you serious or is this a joke?

- Nissan doesn't even recommend rotating tires until 7500 mi.
    - How could anyone have gone back to the same dealer after the first, say, 3 front rotor replacements without questioning their competency?

Also, assuming you hit the ditch front first, I would only expect the 1 airbag to go off. The others will only go off for side impacts/with passenger in front seat.

I'm truly sorry and praying for your speedy recovery if this is serious, but it sounds too unreal.

Tom
  • tom04se6sptom04se6sp Member Posts: 9
    Never mind... just found this... Wow! you've been through a lot in the last 6 days!

#1481 of 1489 Re: 2005 Nissan Quest Purchase [dc_driver] by billy8 Aug 19, 2005 (9:29 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Replying to: dc_driver (Aug 19, 2005 12:39 pm)

I would not hesitate to buy an 05 Quest. I own a 05, 3.5s with 4000 miles. Its been back to the dealer twice. Once for warped front rotors, a one hour repair by the dealer and a minor problem with the AC system. Both repairs were handled GREAT. no charge , no problems. The second repair was taking longer than the dealer thought so I was given a 05 Hyundai Tuscon as a free loaner. This vehicle was loaded and cost only $1000 less than my Quest. I could not wait to get back into my Quest after driving the Tuscon, no comparison. I wouldn't by a Dodge Gr Caravan, CHEAP JUNK, TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. I traded my 03 GR Caravan in on my Quest, Good riddance. I had this GR Caravan in the shop for weeks at a time with no fix. In my opinion you will get the most van for your$$$$ by far with the Quest. Good Luck
  • billncatbillncat Member Posts: 16
    I just read this guys post. If it is real, I feel terrible for this individual. However, there are things about his post that lead me to believe the past experiences may be ficticious.

1. Tires are recommended to be rotated and wheel alignments every 7500 miles.
    2. Having 7 brake jobs in 8.5k is ridiculous. This would have been covered by warranty. Unless this person has the worst dealership on the planet...and, is the worst negotiator on the planet...this scenairo is most unlikely.

I have an 05 Quest SE. Our only problem was a rear windshield wiper that the auto car wash knocked off and a piece of weather stripping that came loose...that I fixed. Our ride has 9k in 4 months of ownership. We are in it a lot. Nissan did a great job with the '05 model. I have an 04 Titan that I love and it had a lot more issues and I still love it. The dealership is replacing my break rotors, calipers and front/rear pads because of rotor warpage on the TItan. And this happened at 18k. This is why I think the story is suspect.
  • kivkiv Member Posts: 4
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced an overhead console rattle on an Quest. I have a 2004 with a dual DVD player. Over rough roads, we get an annoying rattle. My wife has taken it to the dealer, however you don't even want to hear their explanation...amazing that they'd think someone would be that ignorant. With recent deployments and moving from Texas to California, I have not been able to tear into it myself. However, before I do just wondering if someone has already solved the problem?

Thanks!