Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    That's good to know. Thanks.
  • ckeoughckeough Member Posts: 15
    Just wondering of anyone has had transmission problems? Have a 2006 S SE with 16,500 miles and am getting a new transmission put in next week. Since we got the vehicle in November 2005, it always seemed to engage to drive with a 2-3 second delay and had a slight "groaning" noise once in a while upon accelerating from a stop or turning sharply to the right. At state inspection last November, one of the dealer mechanics took a ride with me, but the noise didn't occur and the engagement was considered not a concern. Two weeks ago the problem turning right became very severe, causing the steering wheel to vibrate. Took it in to the dealer and was able to have them experience the noise both turning and going straight from a stop. This, along with an occasional abrupt downshifting, had the lead tech telling me the tranny was slipping. They checked it out for the day and order a new tranny. The dealer was good to work with, only odd thing is the tranny is worse since getting the van back to drive till the new part gets here; it now takes 5-8 seconds to engage drive and it seems to be slipping at low speeds often. Other than this issue, we've had no problems with the van and I can't find any mention of tranny problems.

Chris
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    There were some initial problems with the 4 speed auto in the 'S' in 04 and a few early 05's. Search the forum and see what you can find. Hopefully Nissan will take care of this for you.

Mark
    2004 Quest SE
  • questslquestsl Member Posts: 11
    Hello all,
    Does anyone know where the fuse that controls the alarm/remote is?
    My alarm keychains don't work anymore, both stopped working at the same time so I figure it is not the battery; anyway, all manual controls work, rear hatch, power door, windows, etc (anything you would normally do with the remote); but... the remotes just don't work; I looked in the manual and the fuse box cover (inside and under the hood) but it does not give a hint as to which fuse controls the remote function.
    If anyone has had this problem before please let me know, I don't want to give the dealer the pleasure of ripping me off again.
    Thanks!
    The new tranny was installed Monday-Tuesday. I don't think the orignal one was ever right. The new one engages from R to Drive immediatley, the old one didn't right away. The shift from 1-2 is nice and firm with no downshift the way the old one did. The dealer was great to work with. I'm thinking this was just a isolated problem.

Chris
  • hondakidhondakid Member Posts: 17
    Hi ckeough,

I've been following your Tranny saga with interest!

I have an 07 Quest 3.5s with 5 speed.

I'm interested in your Quests "down shifting". I may have a similar issue, however, dealer thinks I'm nuts!

Thanks a lot...
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the key fob (remote on the key chain) does not work? Or just the alarm button on the key fob does not work?

If the entire key fob does not work, you may need to reprogram them, if you are positive the batteries aren't dead. Here's a link that shows how to reprogram Nissan fobs. make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Common/reprogram_key_fob.htm
    Hi, after re-reading my post it does confuse things a bit; so to make it simpler, yes, the keyfob does not work at all, both of them. I'll check the batteries tonight and if they're good as expected I'll try the reprogram steps.
    Thank you!
  • tjshantjshan Member Posts: 28
    Hi all,

just to keep you up to date, took the 06 Quest SL in today for thrid oil change at 11K miles. At last oil change we had expressed concern over a slight vibration at 2K rpm under load (uphill...), the tech had told us he could not feel anything. Today, I got to ride with the service writer, he felt the viab immediately, but upon inspection they were unable to find anything loose or amis. the tech is saying 2K rpm is the "harmonic range " of this engine...I dont buy it. Service writer is saying he will try to drive another 06 quest when one comes in and see if he feels it on another car. Has anyone had a similar viabration?

Otherwise, only other issue was the rain gutter trim on the pass side has popped up, they are ordering another piece. We just got back from a 1200 mile trip and are sure glad we have the extra space...how would we have lived with the smaller Hundai? Avg mileg was 25.1 on comp, 24.4 real.

Again, has anyone tried one of those clear plastic type bra shield?

Tom
    Well I checked the batteries in both keyfobs and one was dead, the other was good; I replaced them both just to be sure, but still could not make the keyfobs work, so I followed the link given by dtownfb (Thank you!) and reprogrammed the keyfobs again; they are working now.
    Eduardo
    Glad it worked for you!
  • ernie144ernie144 Member Posts: 5
    Bought the 04 in Dec 03 after looking at the Toyo (seriously), Honda (which the dealer quoted 10% OVER sticker), Ford (ok, not really), and Dodge. Got a stripped S with a DVD, paid under $25k. Is it a perfect car? No, but I feel I have great value with it. Yes, I had brake shrudder, but had that with other cars / vans I've had. Doors sometimes squeak, as with every other car I've driven. Clock runs a little fast, but that makes up for my Olds clock, which is equally slow. BOATLOADS of power, fair gas mileage, rides better than any Caddy I've ridden in, LOVE the gauges in the middle (never could see them thru the wheel in any car I've ever driven). I guess I'm saying I didn't expect a Maybach, and I didn't get a '68 VW Microbus. I'm very happy.

I understand some of these posters have legit issues, but some folks must never have driven a 1979 Dodge Omni.
  • green_teagreen_tea Member Posts: 14
    Hi ernie,

I bought mine 04 Quest a month earlier than you and have 35K miles on it. Today, I took it to Dobbs for brake pads (front) check, they said pads could still last for 3-4 month. Changed 2 tires at 28K miles and 2 tires + rear pads at 31K, our quest has been great and I enjoy driving it everyday. No problem at all so far. The QN engine is really good and powerful. The car is easy to handle and cornering with both independent suspension on both front and rear (only Honday had the same suspension when I purchased it), and more safety features compared with other vans at that time (side curtain, etc).
  • helpwithquesthelpwithquest Member Posts: 2
    Okay I need help with my 2005 Quest. I have had a horrible smell in my Quest since last August. I have taken it in to Nissan 7 times. Nissan has sprayed antibacterial spray in it, deep cleaned it, installed new carpet and cleaned the rear air conditioning out since they think it might have leaked in the back. Has anyone else had a problem with the rear part of the van stinking? I have looked for leaks in the rain. You can't even leave anything in the rear compartment b/c it smells like mold just over night. Has anyone else had this problem? My husband wants to sell the van just b/c of the horrible smell, oh course who wants to buy a stinking van. We can't even take anyone in our van b/c of the horrible smell.
    No, I have ever heard of such problem of bad smell. Some dead animal in the compartment? Even the emission from the beautiful VQ engine has no such "bad" smell.

Our 2004 Quest has 36000 trouble free miles. Just finished a round trip from St. Louis to New Orleans. Gas mileage was 22.8 MPG with air conditioning on all the time and speed mostly at 80-85 MPH. We really appreciate the handle and stable of the van, especially in the heavy rain road. It handles like a Champ and boost the driver's confidence during the merge and pass other cars/trucks.

BTW, the front brake pads are still the original factory installed. Had it checked in Dobbs and they recommended changing it after the summer.

The 2004 Quest has been a really great car for us so far.
  • helpwithquesthelpwithquest Member Posts: 2
    Nope, we have doubled checked for dead animals. It only grows worse when it rains. Off, we go to Nissan again tomorrow since we had another rainstorm this weekend.
    Is it wet in the back area after it rains? Have you tried the AC vents in the ceiling? Could be mold in there. How about the compartments in the 3rd row seat? If not check regularly, could easily have food, spoiled milk bottles, etc.
    While cleaning our van this weekend, I removed one of the kids carseats and found that there was a hole that has been worn in the 3 row bench seat. Seems that seat is vinyl and not leather like the other seats. The edge of the carseat must have worn through it. I thought it was leather, like the other seats. To top if off, the material seems to have a thin layer of vinyl on the surface, then a spongy area, then another backing of vinyl before you get 'thru' the covering. Wow, what a disappointment... :(
    It looks like the hose connected to the air filter box needs to be disassembled, otherwise there's not enough room for the air filter box cover to come off. Is this right? I didn't want to force it open. My other car used to have the same set up. Can anyone who's done this tell me? Thanks!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I posted my mileage on a recent trip

getting better
    Never mind. I did it.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Hi,
    I've been thinking about changing the air filter myself. Glad to find your recent post. Do you know how often it is recommended to change the air filter on Quest? Where can I find some instructions on how to do it? Which brand did you put in? On autozone website, they listed 3, 2 generic ($6-9), and one K&N filter ($45). There was some discussion about air filter on this forum a while ago, but I can't remember if it's worthwhile to spend $45 on the K&N filter. Thanks.
    Phuc
    Our van is two years old and has 25K miles on it. The filter looked very dirty with bugs and black oily stains. I put in the regular Fram filter which is good for 12k miles according to the box. I guess the frequency really depends on your driving conditions.

It was actually fairly easy to pull the filter out. The cover has two clips on the right side and two pins that snaps into two slots on the left. You unbuckle the two clips on the right side, then push the cover down while sliding it to the right to pull it out of the two slots on the left. Then you just replace the filter. The hard part for me was close the cover back up. I don't know if it was me not being handy enough, but the rubber seams on the Fram filter were too big. I ended up tearing them off to close the cover. I think next time I'll try a different brand to get a better fit.
    I think you can get more clearance by disconnecting the electrical connection. The Fram filter should fit perfectly without modification. this is the brand I use.

BTW, the directions for replacing the air filter is in the owner's manual.
    I changed my filter to K&N during winner time. It seemed the gas milage improved a little (1 MPG or a liitle more) at the beginning. The Fran filter should be fine. I followed the owner's manual to change it by my self. It is not that difficult.
    Thanks. Maybe I could've got it to fit had I spent more time trying. It was getting dark and I was in a hurry.

Now I worry the filter is too leaky without the seams.
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    Due to the location of the air inlet on the '04+ Quest, the air filter is prone to bugs, dirt, and debris. I've installed a Fram Airhog, the type that you clean and re-oil yourself, $40. This will pay for itself in a hurry. I've noticed that very recently Walmart has started carrying a washable air filter that doesn't nee oiling, looks like a nice one for under $40. Well worth the money if you're cleaning it as frequently as is needed.
    I recently changed the oil and got a couple of issues fixed under warranty. Now our van is quiet, smooth and runs like new. The two issues were a buzzing and clicking noise. It tunrs out there're known TSBs for these. If anyone has similar problems, let me know and I'll post the dealer's repair report.

Fuel economy also improved since the oil change, although still lower than what we got in the pacific northwest. I thought the southern california climate would give better fuel economy due to the lower humidity. But I guess that's not the case.
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    I have another question for you regarding the air filter. The Quest maintenance schedule booklet recommends to change the air filter every 15K (or 7.5K but will double check it), along with the usual oil change, etc. Is it easier to follow that schedule and have it done at the dealer/garage where you bring your car? Or you change it because you feel that the filter gets dirty before the 15K interval? Or does the dealer charge too much to do that?
    A week ago, I changed the air filter for the first time after 2 years and 23k miles. The filter was dirty! Should've changed it a lot sooner. I do my own oil and air filter changes. It's easy enough and saves money, so why not. I don't know how much shops charge for air filter change, but it can't be that much. I'm guessing maybe $10-15?

I think from now on I'll try to change the air filter every year, which is about 10K miles.
    Well, the day before we left for a week long trip to the beach, I noticed a loud knocking in the engine at 2500 RPM. I called the local Nissan dealer and they wanted me to bring it by. So, at 2pm on a Friday evening I took it by. You know you've got problem with the service advisors and the mechanics come to listen and all shake their heads in bewilderment!
    So, they checked the oil a few times, changed it, checked the oil pressure, ran a computer diagnostic, and all OK.
    Time to call the engineers in TN. So, they were on the phone with those guys for almost an hour. They have never heard/seen this, and the engineers hadn't either. They authorized the dealer to drop the engine and check the timing chain and tensioners.
    So, no van for the beach trip! :(
    After working on the engine, sure enough, it was the timing chain hydraulic tensioner that had gone bad. So, be aware of that, as you couldn't tell unless reving the engine....

Mark
    2004 Quest SE
    42,000 miles
    I hope your van is still covered by the extended warranty?
    He should be covered byt the extended bumper to bumper warranty and/or the powertrain warranty.
    I just changed my air filter at 19K, I usually do it based on visual inspection, not mileage. I was quite dirty and I'll be checking it at 12-15K from now on. We just completed our 1st long trip since getting this van new in 11/06, it's an 06 S Special Edition. The only problem we've had which I did post about in April was transmission, dealer replaced it at 16K due to slipping/downshifting. We drove from Rochester, NY to North Carolina Outer Banks and got 27-28 MPG south of DC and 26 going through PA hills. Mileage was better than I thought it would be; we get 19 MPG during weekly driving. Still have not had to touch the brakes, tires look like I'll get the common 30K for the OEM.

Chris
    Oh, left that out...yep, covered 100% under warranty. Just out a van during repairs. All seems fine with it now....
    :)
  • f1236089f1236089 Member Posts: 25
    I just sent my van in this morning to have a engine noise checked. The noise would come on whenever the van is under load or going uphill around 2000~2500 rpm. I hope it is not something like yours. Fingers crossed.
    Famo.

Have had our 06 SE in twice for exactly the same thing...the service mgr keeps trying to tell me it is the car's "natural harmonic" please keep me appraised of what yours says...we are bringing ours in Wed again for the same issue and could use some backup

Tom
    tjshan68@aol.com
  • afp1afp1 Member Posts: 1
    One morning the quest would not start. Had it towed to the dealer on June 20, 2007. The dealer said the Engine Control Module was the cause. Now it is July 20 and still no module in stock. Nissan Canada said it should be available around August 6. Almost 2 months with no van. Am I unlucky or is this common?
  • maillouxmailloux Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my quest 04 last summer.had it towed to the dealer.Told me it was the ECM lucky it was still on warrenty ,new module cost a 1000.00$ dollars.no more problem since excep with the right hand sliding door.
    Well, another trip to the dealer and the diagnosis is that I am imagining the vibration, or that I am too sensative. The diagnostics on the engine show it to be running fine. I recall some months back reading that someone here had found a service bulliten for this problem, anyone recall where to find that bulliten?
  • exploder750exploder750 Member Posts: 159
    We have 81,000 miles on our '04 Quest, and recently its started a 'vibrating' drone when accelerating thru 2nd and 3rd gears. I don't think there's anything wrong, maybe something's come loose under the hood.
  • calvin1962calvin1962 Member Posts: 34
    Hi,

I have 2004 Quest mid level package (SL?) and had to repace the tensioner pully on the serpentine belt. It may be unrelated, but now at idle I get a clocking sound, almost like valve lifters (from my old 4 banger Chriysler days). Is this similar to what you heard? My mechanic put a stethascope on all the parts related to the serpentine belt and could not track it down. The top side of the engine is the next logical place...
    It was more of a knocking than a clocking sound...ha...It was a loud 'disturbing' noise. So much so, the mechanics didn't like hearing it. All was covered under warranty, and so far, all seems to be fine now. It only occurred when reving the engine. Mechanics said it always occurred, but, just couldn't hear it while driving. My dealer said that a Nissan engine should be quite and pur, if not, there is something wrong.

Mark
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    Have same problem. In most cases it is the underbody mount for the cat or the middle mount for the exhaust where the exhaust runs through the frame rails.
    Those aree tough FOBs. I have been swimming with mine in pocket twice and it still works.
    Bought my 04 in September 04 and got 40,000 out of original crappo tires and still on original brakes without shudder.
  • hotfoxhotfox Member Posts: 7
    OK,
    low down
    2004 Quest SE with 80,000 km
    serviced by dealer until July 2006, when I went out of the country for almost 3m

Just started job - was pricing out tires and brakes before winter. And a trip back to the dealer for the next PM.

Noise starts - and disappeared while running warm engine (sometimes) or became quieter.

Took to garage (not dealer) they checked it over quickly and believed it was something 'inside' - schedule an appoitnment

Van dies, have towed - told ENGINE GONE

OK, so say - now what?

They check the ECM - needs to be replaced - says failed (this is my second one since purchase). Takes 10 days - put in & try car and it starts, and then stops. The ECM they removed was not 'programmed' properly - apparently the 'maintenance modules and warnings were shut off'. Implied "I" did it - hell - I still don't understand all of the stuff to run my radio!

I was told that the ECM should have identifed the problem to me - ie - low oil level. Then, I was advised by a service manager that a 'dipstick can be dry' and not set of the sensor. Sounds fishy actually. I would think if there wasn't enough OIL - the oil light should have come on. I would think that the engine would heat up, it would tell me. I would think that there would be something that would signal me to check it - especially when the wierd knocking sound came AFTER all of this!

Dealer tells me that I didn't do a recent oil change. That was the reason the engine is broken. OK, maybe that is the case. But my van was running awesome and it was part of the upcoming PM work for end of Sept.

So here is where things are:

I have warranty still, but they want me to pay about $1000 for the dignostics to see if there are ANY component failures - which could mean some/all of the engine is under warranty.

OR

Put in a new engine - @ $9500 plus $2600 for installation, plus parts (if needed) plus taxes @ 15%

OR

Put in an engine from a 21,000km car crash victim, at a cost of $3-5000 plus tax and parts, but would NOT be eligible for a warranty AND my Nissian warranty would then be NUL & VOID for the remainder of my car.

OR

Trade it in, for a fair deal against a NEW ONLY vehicle from the dealer.

I figure my vehicle would have still be worth somewhere around the $20,000 mark - cause I had upgrades and add ons and my intent was to drive it into the ground - timing of which would be the leaving of my kidlets from home. Giving me the chance to then buy an adult car again - whoooo.

So, I'm trying to find others who have had engine failures! I have heard, and the dealer has said in passing remarks that there have been 'other vehicles with noises which have experienced engine problems'. I want to find out if there is potentially a problem that happens to this vehicle (and those which are in infinity models) @ the 80,000mile mark. My vehicle was at 80,000km. So relatively speaking - it was a bit early.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Quest - I bought it for specific reasons! I can't say I was not disappointed on the milage irregularities, but overall, I want to keep my Quest.

I want to find out if this 'noise' and 'engine failure' is something is a problem that others have experienced.
    When was the last oil change? Any signs of oil leaks like big puddle under the car? Signs of white smoke blowing out the tail pipe?

Based on what you are saying, the dealership is doing the classic, blame the customer, first. Keep fighting! And find any of your oil change recceipts. Also talk to you other mechanic about what the dealer said. I'm not a mechanic but what they are saying does not sound right.

Edit: Do a google search on Nissan 3.5L engine and oil loss and see what you find. In a small percentage of engines, they have had excessive oil loss due to malfunctioning piston rings. Again do a google search and see if you find what I found. And check out this site with TSBs on the Quest: http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Quest/EngineM.htm

Get all your ducks in a row, and keep fighting the dealership. You may want to push this to the next level and get the district/regional manager involved.
    You know there is a TSB for that, right? If not, have dealer look. There is a special bracket they have to buy for the middle exhaust mount. The original isn't strong enough and it caused, in our case, a bad rattle.

Mark
    I'm not real clear on your story. So, they replaced the ECM and then it started, then turned back off? Why do they think the engine is bad? Was it out of oil when it was towed to the dealer?

If it was out of oil, regardless of any other problem, that is your fault and is not covered by warranty. I've also heard stories of dealers voiding your warranty if you have too much oil in the engine.

Mark
    2004 Quest SE