Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• tamu2002tamu2002 Member Posts: 758
    Hmm, the service guy at my dealer told me both the front and rear pads are just metallic and not even semimetallic. But I got a feeling he wasn't very sure. Maybe your dealer is correct on this one. Based on what they charge for their pads, you'd think they're ceramic!

The ceramic pads on my front tires cost ~$30-40 more than the semimetallic, not a huge jump in price. If you're that concerned with braking, you might want to install ceramic pads all around. I'm not sure about their stopping power, but they ARE silent. I'm not an expert on the various brands of brake pads. Someone else can chime in on that one.
  • delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Yup,,for the price they were charging,,I too thought that they were ceramic pads! ;)
    Regarding brake pads--I am not too worried about stopping distance--as all are pretty OK and I drive cautiously :P --It`s whether they reduce the steering wheel shake/shimmy?
    Did ceramics on your Quest reduce the shake?
    Also do frozen rotors help with the shake?
    Thanks
    Funny you should mention steering wheel shakes. Ours shook very badly before the replacement when braking, now the shake is completely gone. The fron ceramic pads are silent, but the rear semimetallic ones, as expected, make some noise when cold. I don't feel any difference in stopping power. Overall, I'm happy with the brake job, especially considering the price paid.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Very pleased with the tires. I've put about 4000 miles on them. I belong to the Consumer Reports online forum. the tire experts there highly recommend these tire. Also very highly rated on Tire Rack. I had the Hankook Optimo H418. I bought them because they were cheap and at the time money was tight. Rated 60,000 mile tires that didn't last 25k miles. I could have gotten money toward another set but why put another set of that garbage tire on the van.

never experience the Yoko Avid TRZ. Read of some issues but overall a very good tire. go over to Tire Rack and read the reviews and surveys.
    Thanks. That's good to hear. We'll get them at Costco when the time comes.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    During the engine oil change at my Nissan dealer shop, I was advised of broken engine mount which was replaced today. (2005 Quest, 71K miles.)

Now I have a new issue with a low pitch ticking noise and feeling coming through steering wheel at constant rate whenever I turn corners.

Does anyone have guess to what may be causing this? There is also random high pitch squeal from steering wheel but the source of this problem has been found (or so I heard.) The mechanic insists he has done nothing wrong and these must be pre-existing conditions...
    I'd appreciate any inputs.
  • joenissanjoenissan Member Posts: 313
    Hey all. I just wanted to give a little encouragement to anyone down on their Quest. Ours is an 05 SL loaded up with just over 70k miles now and it's been absolutely trouble free since day one. Yeah we will get a little rattle now and again from the drivers side slider but unfortunately, that's a given in this van seeing as the sliders are the largest on any minivan and the 70k on the odo.
    Of course this wasn't always the case. This is our 3rd new Quest. Our new 04 was so troubled that our dealer, who's amazing BTW, told us "pick another off the lot" and we drove off in a brand new 04. As hard as this may be to believe, about 19k miles down the road, the new one also became such a rattle-box (along with one nissan tech who decided to damage the 2 front doors on the lift) again we were told to "pick another off the lot"...this time going for the loaded up 05 SL. Third one was the charp I guess because it's been perfect in all ways.
    Oh and as for the tires, we're now on our 2nd set of Yokohama Avid TRZs and love them! They turn this van into what it should have been from the start. No more front end wandering in the rain and what a smooth ride. But there is one BUT. They only lasted us about 30k miles and they're an 80k mile tire. No problem though because we got them at Mavis Tire and Yokohamas warranty is prorated so they replaced the tires and the percentage from 30k to 80k was applied and the tires were less than half price!
    So don't fret a little rattle from that damn door. The van is mechanically sound with an engine that is just fantastic. Enjoy.
    Hi Joe,Nice to hear that your Quest is doing great.I have an 04 model-rattles are present.I think that is a given with this van.
    Also did u have any rotor warping/brake pad/steering wheel vibration issues?
    A lot of folks on this forum suggested Frozen rotors for the 04 Quest.Do u have any info on them?
    What other problems did u have on your 04 model?
    I had the auto tranny flush/coolant flush/cabin microfilter recently and always use full synthetic oil.I am also planning to buy the Yoko Avid tires now..
    Do u suggest any other care that I need to take?
    Thanks..
  • joenissanjoenissan Member Posts: 313
    We've had no brake problems at all. And believe me when I tell you...I'm REALLY picky when it comes to steering wheel vibration from warped rotors. We just did the rear brakes but only the pads needed changing. We also had the rear shocks replaced because we thought the rears were worn but it didn't change the ride at all....kinda like you're afraid it'll bottom out. Luckily it doesn't actually bottom out though.
    Our SL has the 5 spd tranny and we had Nissan change the fluid not too long ago. I can't rememebr now if we had the coolant flushed. I'll have to look into that. I changed the cabin filters myself and geez...what a PITA! The Bose amp on the firewall behind the glovebox has to be removed! Yeah, those AVID TRZs are amazing the way they change the charactoristics of the van...especially in the rain. The tires are cheap too!
    Not too much else to do really. I use only Mobil1 synthetic every 5 to 7k miles. That's it. It's been trouble free with only regular maintainance.
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I have frozen rotors and hawk HPS pads all around...
    No shake after the installation and even now (~ 12,000 miles)
    Front about 90% life; Rear about 80% life
    The only downsize of HPS is that it takes some extra distance to stop when it is cold!
    Goodyear is wearing down and have around 50% of the tread life 22k miles on the tire; Winterforce still have 90% tread after 2 seasons (8k miles). i also agree these new Quest eats the tires... I have a older model (first gen) and it shows very little wear on OEM after 6 years (still has 70% before i replaced it).
    btw... this is a 2005 Quest base model!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    No more front end wandering in the rain and what a smooth ride.

heh...hated those OEM's...I would get the 'stink eye' from my wife when that would happen...sort of "slow down...there are kids in the vehicle".
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    The problem has been fixed. Lower shaft that connects to the steering wheel became loose and caused both squeal noise and bumps. I was able to use my Nissan extended warranty for both repairs and the service rep in charge of my van waived $50 deductible for steering wheel repair, so I'm happy with the service this time.

The van handles like new now. Regarding the tires, I'm also on 2nd set of Yoko Avid tires, purchased from tirerack.com both times, and as many have noted they are great in rain and also pricewise. If I hadn't run over a piece of brick on the freeway at 65 mph which ripped my rear tire, the 1st set of Avids would have lasted about 40k.
    And for $615, ouch!! The Yokohamas would've been ~$50 cheaper. I wish we had rotated the OEM tires more diligently to make them last longer. Here's hoping the Michelins will last forever. I haven't driven it yet but my wife and kids say the ride is SMOOTH.
    Don't beat yourself up over not rotating the tires. The most important thing is to get an alignment done when you buy new tires. Minivans have long wheelbase and can get out of alignment very easily.

I am also impressed with the Michelin Primacy. I hope they last longer than the hankook Optimo H418. The Hankook performed OK but only lasted 25k miles. sometimes it is not worth buying based on price.
    I'm anxious to drive the van to see what the fuss is about :) . We weren't really unhappy with the OEM tires per se, just wish they lasted longer. We could probably go another 10K miles but we were feeling quite uneasy about out-of-town trips. Now rotating the tires will be a breeze cause we shop at Costco everyweek and we can simply drop it off before going shopping. Costco refuses to rotate tires not bought there.
    I drove our van over the weekend, and was very happy witht he Michelins. Two major impressions: 1) they obsorb road bumps much much better than the old worn out OEMs, and 2) they are a lot quieter. There's hardly any road noice at highway speed. Overall a quiet and smooth ride. I must say I'm very satisfied.
    My very same impressions. I see that Sears and Michelin are running another special where you get free mounting, balancing, etc. with a set of 4 tires.

The good thing is Quest owners have more options for tires other than the Goodyear OEM.
  • sidsrsidsr Member Posts: 2
    Can not find a fuse for the interior lights on my 2004 nissan quest. lights will not work. tried changing bulbs didn't solve problem
  • desidude1desidude1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2005 Nissan Quest 3.5 S with the factory installed CD Player. I am looking to replace it with an aftermarket CD Player that can play Mp3. Any recommendations? Also, how difficult is it to replace it? Would we need any special harness once I remove the existing factory CD player?

I tried crutchfield but wasn't able to find much information. It looks like many aftermarket systems can be installed - but it also warns me that we need to fabricate a harness for correct fit.

Any responses/advice is greatly appreciated.
    The best thing to do is visit a local Best Buy or other audio shop and talk to them about what parts are needed.
  • calvin1962calvin1962 Member Posts: 34
    Hey all,

I've asked this before, but no one responded. Has anyone ever done their own adjustment on their 2004-present Quest power door. When ours was in warranty, the dealer adjusted it at no charge "as a courtesy", but it never lasted more than a couple months. The door gets about 90% closed & reverses. Nothing is obvioulsy gumming up the track, etc. If someone pushes it will close, but it is annoying at best :( . Any ideas?

Thanks,

Calvin1962
  • vinhphucvinhphuc Member Posts: 44
    Hi everyone,
    Today I opened the moonroof on my Quest 05 SE to let the hot air get out while turning on the A/C. After a few minutes of driving I tried to close it but it didn't. I could hear a little noise "click, click" but the moonroof wouldn't slide back to close. I'm hoping to find some advice here. Anyone having experienced this problem before? Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Phuc
    I finally replaced the front control arms on my 2004 Quest. I was having a deadening, stiff, harsh bump whenever I went over bumps with the minivan. My first thought is the front struts needed replacing but it turned out the bushings in the front control arm went bad. What's interesting is the bushings for the FRONT control arms are not serviceable and new control arms at the dealership are over $400. Luckily my mechanic was as shocked at the price as i was and let me find the control arms and he installed them. I found front control arms at www.Partsgeek.com for about $215 for each arm (half of what the dealer wanted to charge). It took my mechanic 3 hours to install them.

My van takes bumps and road imperfections smoother and without any noise. the sterering wheel shakes are about 95% gone.

Hopefully this helps someone.
    I belong to two other Nissan Quest forums and have not found anything about adjusting the door yourself.

Best thing you can do is make sure the contacts are cleaned, nothing is on the track and there is plenty of grease.
  • kingfisher1111kingfisher1111 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I recenlty purchased a nissan quest 2005 with 95 K miles on it.Yesterday I got service engine soon.
    .I thought it needs engine oil change.SO did oil change.But after that I still see Service Engine soon.So I took it to Autozone and they told I have I P0420 error .After reading this forum I understood it needs a new catalytic converter.Emission warranty is like 8 years/80K miles.Will I be still covered undered warranty?
    THanks
    sarathb at zenbedotcom
    I would contact Nissan...but I would bet the answer is no.

I had a replacement Audi part go out in about 15 months; and about 1000miles over , and they refused to cover it...I think the replacement part only had 1 year 10-12k miles or so..

Anyway, I'd look for an after market part...or a junk yard piece...or re-manufacturered.
    can I buy this from autowarehouse.com?Anyone can recommend any website?
    Nissan catalytic converters are very sensitive.So aftermarket parts tend to be very problematic.Original Nissan parts are the best.Your best bet--Go to the dealer .They can tell you what the code means.A code can mean many different things.And if the cat converter does need replacing,then contact Nissan and maybe atleast ask them to split the cost.I would never buy an aftermarket cat converter from a place like autowarehouse, especially for Japanese cars. Nissans are very well known for having bad cat converters unlike honda/Toyota.
    Also,any reason why you bought such a high miled Quest ? And what did you pay for it? Good Luck.Keep us posted for any follow up.
    Here's a link discussing P0420 for the Quest. Pay special attention to the potential causes.

http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p0420.htm

I would have a mechanic looks this over before replacing the catalytic converter. Actually if there are no other drivability issues, i would erase the code and see if it came back on. Then have a mechanic look it over.
    Budddy,
    I don't have drivability issues.This issue started recently.How can we erase the code?
    Funny thing I heard the same thing regarding exhausts on Nissan's (that they were expensive) when i was getting a rattle taken care of...which is why I was thinking after-market.

I did find Nissan parts through http://everythingnissan.com/ (actually an Infiniti air intake) which was 50% less than the dealer...not sure how the exhaust compares to OEM in price and quality.
    Deltheking,
    Usually Nissan,quest/honda runs like 200000 miles right.So I thought I will drive those many miles.I dont drive much.Like 1000 miles in a month or less than that.I bought for $8000
    Thanks
    You need a code reader to erase the codes. The Advance Auto Parts store I use will erase codes but I have heard that many parts stores will not erase the code. I also have a cheap code reader that i got from Harbor Freight. I used it primarily on my 2000 Olds Intrigue which I no longer have. I paid $30 for it.

Or you can ask your mechanic to erase the code for you. Reading the link in my previous post, I wouldn't be so quick to change the catalytic converter because of this code. There are other possible causes and the converter is pretty expensive. If the code comes back or have drivability issues, then you can deal with it.
    I hope you have this resolved now. In my 2000 Intrigue, my sunroof did not open. Like yours, I could hear the click, click noise. I took a chance and pushed really hard on the sunroof as I pushed the button. The sunroof opened and was not a problem after that.

Not familar with Quest sunroof, but it could simply be stuck.
    If the catalytic converter for the Quest is like some of the other parts, there are very few aftermarket parts. It's likely that the catalytic converter is OEM. I found thisout when replacing the front control arms. Not only are the bushings not serviceable but the control arms are OEM only. No aftermarket parts at all.
  • hankster7hankster7 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 quest se with 226,000 miles. The right door was the first to malfunction and although at about 100,000 miles, it was fixed under warranty (even though it technically expired). Then the left door started to malfunction, failing to close. Simultaneously, my gas tank flap needed repair. The Nissan dealer said that the left door was tied into the gas flap and after repairing the flap. the door worked for a short time. For the past 50,000 miles (about one year) the door hasn't worked and I was told it could cost about $1000 to repair---no thanks. Nissan should probably do a recall on this as its obviously a common problem.
    hankster7
    Get real dude!! Are you serious?? 226k miles and you want a recall after one side was fixed at 100k miles.226k miles??? At that mileage the van is pretty much worthless. Yes ,04 Nissan Quests have problems ,and I own one but expecting a recall when your van has 226k miles...Sheeesh!! Some folks want a recall even at 300k miles,I guess!! :sick:
    226K is a lot of miles. At 20K my power door stopped working & after 5+ "repairs" the dealer no longer would work on it. I am at 62K and have to assist the door to close every time. It is a common problem and should have been addressed by Nissan. This is my first & last Nissan product unless someone puts a gun to my head. :lemon:
    Yup,totally agree. I got a used 04 Nissan Quest inspite of knowing the problems because I really got a screaming bargain and i was trading in my Dodge SUV and I needed a minivan. And also it is our 3rd car to haul stuff and family or friends over the weekend or on long trips. So it is not our daily commute car.

But yes,a new Nissan Quest is totally junk.25k-37k for a new Quest?? :sick: That`s crazy for the crap Nissan has put out. And it has got lots of quality issues-problems with brakes and rotors,power doors,horrible squeaks and rattles,steering vibration.Nissan should be really ashamed at this overpriced junk. :lemon:

And these problems have yet to be fixed even in the newer Quests.Slightly better than 04/05 but still very problematic especially for a new car price.Totally unacceptable.
    A Sienna or Odyssey are infinite times better.No comparison really!!
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    226k miles is just too impressive on 3rd gen Quest...
    I believe many owners (including myself) experiencing many headache before 100k or even below 50k...
  • courtemattcourtematt Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever solve the problem with your interior lights I have the same issue on my 2004 Quest...
  • sidsrsidsr Member Posts: 2
    Never did. Guess I am gonna have to take it to a dealer
  • francoisburtonfrancoisburton Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

my Clarion radio if officially dead. I receive an "offer" from the dealer to replace it (375$ in parts, 190$ in labor). I am out of the warranty period. :mad:

I have been looking into 3rd party radio, there is no way I am paying this kind of money for a very average radio. This price is for a re manufactured unit ! :cry:

Anybody had any luck with generic DIN radio installed in the CD player opening? If so, please post pictures ...
    I would exhaust all of my options before spending that kind of money for a refurbished unit.

1) try EBay. Sometimes you get lucky and find one available.
    2) contact a few local A/V shops to see what your options are. It can be a place like Best Buy or a local shop. They'll be able to determine what can be done.
    3) Call Clarion direct
    If you get the radio on your own, here are directions to remove the radio: http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/quest/projects/nissan_quest_radio_removal.htm
  • july2004questjuly2004quest Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone had a CD get stuck inside their Quest 2004+ player? If so, how did you fix it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some tips here:

How to Remove a Stuck CD

Steve, visiting host
  • tjshantjshan Member Posts: 28
    OK guys, I need some help here with the power sliding door on our 2006 Quest. A few days ago I inadvertently put the car in drive while the passenger door was still closing...It stopped and someone on the outside of the car gave it a shove before I could stop him...now the door does not work anymore. Brought it to the dealer and they said they really do not fix these doors, but they would replace the door motor for $900. Their only other fix was to cut the cable and use it as a manual door.

The door does not open or close now, you can manually unlatch it, but it wont slide at all, I can get it to move a few inches by really moosing on it...but that sit. The door motor is definitely not turning, and it feels like there may even be some kind of clutch in there.

Does anyone know where the door motor is, and how to access it? I could really use an expanded parts drwg or even just a few photos of what the sidewall looks like. Also, could use some electrical input as wel...I am sure the door motor has a fuse...but where is it?

Tom
    2006 quest 44K miles
    tjshan68@aol.com
    I have a shop manual for a 2004 Quest on CD someweher I will see if I can dig it up. In the meantime, you may want to try this link. it loks like you can get a Tech Service Bulletin for $12.00. The one you want is about half way down the list.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Quest/2004/tsbs.shtml

Good luck
    I'm not certain the situation you described is what caused it to stop working.

I've driven countless times with the door still moving...and it will stop operation automatically if you drive too fast. You have to manually close it at that point.

Also we've manually stopped the door's operation by grabbing the door and pulling in the opposite direction without the motor burning out.

I would check the obvious items first before going to a mechanic...maybe a fuse (not certain of location)? Or a toy, stick, art work...jammed in the doors.

It should work without the motor running...sounds like something is jammed.

I'd use it as a manual door before I forked over nearly $1K...