Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• st_pust_pu Member Posts: 74
    This minivan is huge. Does anyone know how many lanes will it require for u-turn?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Refreshing after posting results in a duplicate post. It's a feature of our software. The fix is to click on somewhere else in Town Hall and then come back to the discussion to see if anyone has replied.

And you can always delete your own posts at any time with the Delete button by your post title.

The folding seats in the eBay pics look pretty thin don't they?

Steve, Host
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    I keep looking for a picture of the little screen in the instrument panel (right of the speedo, left of the idiot lights)...can anyone point me to a picture of the screen in action? Thanks for your help.
  • thequestthequest Member Posts: 11
    My insurance carrier does not yet have any numbers on the cost of insuring the van, they do have numbers for the Honda and Toyota vans. Anybody got some ball park insurance info for Illinois?
  • happymisterhappymister Member Posts: 16
    I thought leather was standard with SL models..
    atleast on the altimas.
    The nissan website mentions that cloth is standard
    on the Quest SL

Also, can we get navigation system as a standalone
    package - maybe as an aftermarket offer from dealers ? without having to get leather, sunroof and all other unnecessary stuff that is not related to navigation systems that Nissan forces us to buy ?
  • modena2904modena2904 Member Posts: 16
    We were finally able to drive a Quest last evening. It was an SL, Sand over Beige, cloth interior with DVD system. We tested a Sienna LE last weekend, so I can offer some comparisons. Here are my random observations, in no particular order.

It’s not very noticeable in the pictures, but the floor is tiered, with about a 4” or 5” step down from the rear seating area at the middle of the van. It’s this step down that provides room for the middle-row seats to fold almost flat. A side benefit of the tiered floor is a very low vehicle step-in height, around 16”. This compares to approximately 20” on the Sienna.

The middle-seat folding mechanism is very slick and easy to operate. The seat-backs flip forward, and then the entire seat rocks forward to the floor. You don’t have to remove the headrests. The rocking mechanism also provides the means to adjust the middle seats fore and aft, which works OK but feels somewhat awkward. The middle seats recline easily. The Sienna has conventional tumble forward removable center seats. These were heavy and difficult to remove, and I pinched my fingers in trying to do it.

After the slick middle-seats, the folding rear seat arrangement in the Quest was a disappointment. It’s a single bench, and is quite comfortable and roomy. But it is rather heavy both to stow and to deploy. My wife was (just) able to do it. Stowing the seat requires removal of the three headrests. A headrest storage bag is provided, but it is not very useful. You can’t put the headrests in the storage bag until after the seat is stowed, leaving you with the quandary of where to put them while you’re doing the stowing. I predict that the stowage bag will be quickly relegated to the basement and forgotten. The rear seat latching mechanism protrudes from the sidewall of the van, but the latches are spring-loaded so they can fold flat against the side to make room for cargo. In comparison, the Sienna rear seat design is superior. The seats are split 60/40, and are easier to stow/deploy. The headrests in the Sienna are integrated into the seatback, so you don’t have to worry about them.

The handling, steering and braking on the Quest felt very good, better than the Sienna. Both vehicles have adequate power, and both were very quiet (with the Sienna maybe having a slight edge). The 4-speed transmission shifted smoothly, except for kickdowns which were a bit abrupt. The 5-speed in the SE might be better. The Quest center console was easy to adapt to, and we didn’t even think about it after a few minutes.

The adjustable pedals on the Quest are a nice feature. But the driver footwell seems a bit cramped. My wife didn’t have any complaints, but at one point, I got my size-10 shoes snagged on something when trying to move from gas pedal to brake.

The DVD screen is well-placed for viewing, but the player itself is awkwardly located low in the base of the passenger seat, facing the driver. A remote control is provided, which should help. We didn’t try to play a DVD, and we didn’t try out the audio system at all.

The automatic doors operate smoothly, but require a fairly significant blocking force to reverse. The blocking force required would not be enough to hurt anyone, but it might be scary for a child. In contrast, the Sienna power door only needed a very light blocking force to reverse. The Quest non-power sliding door (driver’s side) was very light and easy to open/close.

Overall, the interior of the Quest felt very roomy, and it was easy to move around inside. All of the seats felt comfortable. The rear a/c was effective, with individual vents for middle and rear seat passengers. There were plenty of compartments, cupholders, and 12v power points. In general, the fit and finish of the interior trim was very good, but not quite up the excellent standards of the Sienna.

For those with single car garage doors, I measured the max width of the Quest (side mirror to side mirror) as 86”. (For reference, our single garage opening is 91.5”.)

The exterior styling is very striking. The Quest is a good-looking vehicle. We had to fill up with gas during the test drive. As the salesperson was filling the tank, a Porsche Boxster driver at the pump in front of us asked about the Quest, and said it looked cool. So I guess Nissan has succeeded in their goal to make its minivan look less boring.
  • quest4usquest4us Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen/purchased (ajacat1, david1j) the Quest SE with the "rouge" leather? I've seen the "beige" leather and it's very nice, but the dealer has the external color we want w/rouge leather.

Saw a picture on this web site that shows a two-tone looking interior. Thought maybe that was it.
  • daveandlilydaveandlily Member Posts: 6
    We looked briefly at an SL last weekend. No time to test drive, and there was a small crowd around it anyway.

We were very pleased with the exterior, but rather disappointed with the interior.

The post from modena2904 was well-written and very helpful. Thanks!

There were a few additional items we noticed about the interior. Although the middle seats do fold completely flat (nice!) without having to remove the headrests, once the seat is folded flat (with the headrest still in place), the driver's seat cannot be pushed back to a comfortable position--at least for me. The bottom of the front seat interfered with the headrest of the middle seat. I'm only 5'8", so I expect this would be an issue for many folks. Not sure if the front passenger seat had the same issue.

I agree with modena2904 that the DVD control placement is awkward. Although a remote control could be used to operate the DVD, the remote could easily lost or misplaced on a trip. It seems it would be quite difficult to both look at the DVD screen and also operate the controls (located near the floor on the left side of the front passenger seat)--although we did not operate the DVD, so I could be wrong. I did notice that the DVD screen could be positioned a few degrees past vertical, so it might be possible for a person sitting in the driver's seat to operate the controls and still see the screen, though at a very sharp angle. Still, the DVD design seems like an afterthought.

Overall, I liked the interior design (with the possible exception of the pod). However, we both thought the SL fabric looked and felt rather low-quality. The fabric on the driver's left armrest would get dirty very quickly if a light color is chosen. This was a bit of a disappointment because it means we would probably only be happy with the leather interior.

I neither liked nor disliked the center pod. I expect I would grow to like it over time, and it was somewhat refreshing not to find a "yet-another-minivan" type of design. However, again, quality seemed lacking. For example, the smaller knobs for the fan controls seemed "scratchy" when being turned. This is hard to describe. They simply did not feel smooth; almost like plastic was rubbing against plastic. It was less noticeable on the larger knobs. Also, it seems that the mostly-horizontal surface of the pod--where all the buttons are--would get dusty very quickly.

We own a 2000 Maxima now and the overall quality of internal materials (both fabric and plastic)seems noticeably higher than in the new Quest.

By the way, I went back a second time with a tape measure. The van is pretty close to 204" long, just like Edmunds says. (The Sienna is about 200" long.) Be sure to measure your garage before buying :)
  • auribe14auribe14 Member Posts: 2
    The Design function on Nissan's website is finally working. When trying to add a dual-screen DVD system, it forces me to add the ($2000) Navigation System- is this true or just a bug?
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    tried to look at the interiior of a silver mist with rouge interior and the 360 around selection shows me a 2002 quest with grey leather--OOOOPPS
    To follow up on daveandlily's post...

When the middle seat is stowed (with headrest on), I did notice that it was a tight fit with the front seats. But it did not prevent me from adjusting the driver's seat to a comfortable position. I'm 5'10" -- I ended up with the driver's seat somewhere in mid-travel, with the pedals adjusted as far forward as they would go. Maybe I just like to be closer to the wheel than others.

Another point I forgot to mention in my earlier post. The tilt forward feature of the middle row seats works very easily, and provides very easy access to the third row, especially when combined with the low step-in height.
  • auribe14auribe14 Member Posts: 2
    We were able to test drive an SL at the local dealership yesterday, my wife is now sold on a minivan. I was also told by the salesman that the Navigation Package (at $2000) is required if you want to pay $400 for the extra video screen. What a rip!
  • david1jdavid1j Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, I haven't seen the "rouge" leather. we love our Beige. after 5 days, we still have ABSOLUTELY NO buyers remorse. We drove to turn in my Jeep (end of lease today) & my wife followed in the Quest. I had her pass me just to look at it driving down the road. This vehicle ROCKS. p.s. no problems moving the driver seat back when the middle row is folded flat w/ headrest still on. You do need to have the front seats forward in order to do this, but then there is plenty of room to move back.
    Thanks for the two posts offering additional info about the (possible) middle seat interference with the front seats.

I most definitely had trouble with this, but I will concede that it is possible it was my own error: perhaps the middle seat was not all the way down? Still, there was interference; my wife confirms this.

We've pretty much decided against the Quest now. When we finally saw one with leather, we noticed that they did not put leather on the door armrests; they still have the cheap-looking fabric. The leather I saw was the reddish-brown color. It had a pattern on it which made it look less like leather and more like cloth, in my opinion. Perhaps the beige is nicer-looking.

What it comes down to (for us) is perceived quality. Our perception of the quality of materials used in the interior was that it was not up to Nissan's standards from our experience (two prior Nissan's: 1993 and 2000).

If the quality seems lacking for the things you can observe, how much more so for the things you cannot?

The Renault influence on Nissan may have been one to improve the latter company's financials, but, in our opinion, it has also been one to lower the company's relative quality ranking vs. Toyota and Honda.

Having said this, I will also say that I am disappointed. I had hoped that I would decide on a Quest. I had hoped for real competition for the Sienna and Odyssey. I appreciate the stance that Nissan took to distinguish itself from the others and to provide a unique personality for the Quest. I just think they took the less-expensive path.

Just our opinion, folks! Congratulations to those of you who have purchased a new Quest. Enjoy!
  • littlovelittlove Member Posts: 4
    I'm just curious as to where people are test driving the Quest. I live in New York State and have yet to hear about it on any lots. I'm guessing in the South it is available. Any ideas when it might make it up here? I'm getting slightly inpatient now, I guess, especially now that I know it is coming soon!
  • sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    Two dealers that I know of have them. The dealer in Albany (518-482-0100) has the leather seats and is listed at $34,000 and a dealer in Latham (518-785-8531) has cloth seats and is listed at $28,000.

I hope you live nearby.

Sopman
    No phone numbers - we don't have time or resources to verify those. Better just to name the dealers and leave it at that. Thanks.

Steve, Host
  • littlovelittlove Member Posts: 4
    thanks sopman...i'm assuming an sl and se...i live about 2 hours away...if they are in Albany, I would expect them to be in Binghamton soon, which is my area...I'll probably be able to wait it out a little...prices seem a little higher than I expected...i'll check out the websites to get the info on them... thanks again...

I also have another question for anyone else interested...Edmunds lists the holdback price for the Quest as 3 percent of the total invoice....does that mean that the dealer receives that money for selling the vehicle?...or do they pay that much more over the invoice, which they have returned once the vehicle is sold? This will help with any potential bargaining...thanks.
    I had a chance to take a quick look at an SE last night on my way home from work -- it had the beige leather interior. I love the overall design of this car, but I'm afraid I'm coming to the same conclusion as daveandlily -- the fit/finish and quality of the interior is just not up to par.

I was very disappointed in the look/feel of the leather. Similarly, although the skyview roof looks impressive, the sunshades for the rear skylights did not look very durable. I couldn't help but envision them breaking easily.

I hope that Nissan gets some of this feedback, and realizes that skimping on the interior materials is pennywise and pound foolish.

I have less concern about the mechanicals. Basically, this is the same running gear as the Altima and Maxima, and those have proven to be reliable and good performers.
    Here's an article that goes into details.

Since the new Quest hasn't been out 90 days, the dealers are sure to make a profit on holdback for the first few months. Who knows what deals Nissan has made with the distributors or dealers though.

As always, focus on your out the door price and don't worry about how the salespeople are making their car payments.

Steve, Host
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Holdback is dealer profit which they will NEVER share with you. But, having the knowledge of holdback helps if they start ranting on how they are selling the vehicle for a loss etc etc. If they give you the old "you are taking food from my children's mouth" talk, shove the "How you make profit with holdback" line in their faces !! :-)

Invoice price is what the dealer pays for the vehicle, but that is NOT their final cost. They get incentives, holdback, commission and lots of other hidden things which you and I will never know about. To be fair to the dealer, a price of Invoice price + 2 or 3% profit is a good deal for you and them. Some dealers hungry for sales will share their holdback or part with it completely, but don't count on it - Especially, on new hot selling vehicles (In which case, you ca forget negotiating too :-)
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Sounds like the Quest is really turning more heads than a top of the line Sienna. Personally, I like the Quest, and I like how the SE has the SkyView roof. I like the blue exterior and the sand exterior. The Green Tea looks kinda ugly, just like the medium green on the Saturn L-Series. But the interior is kinda different and more daring than any other car I've seen, with maybe the exception of the S-Series/ION transition last year. Just think about it, the old Quest was dead boring, and the new Quest is full of daring and boldness that no minivan before it had dared to go.
    I posted in message #330 how I was disappointed in the look/feel of the beige leather interior. Well, my wife went to look at it tonight, and she really liked it. I'm still not that crazy about it, but it's going to be her car, so her opinion is the one that counts.

I guess the bottom line is you need to go look at this car and make up your own mind. We've now got an SE on order -- Tea Green over beige, Dual DVD, Nav. Once we get it, maybe I'll post more thoughts about life with the Quest.

One final note -- these things do not seem to be flying off the lots. Most of the dealers around here (Baltimore, MD) seem to have two or three in stock in various trim levels, but none of them has told me they've actually sold one yet.
    A few more details we found out today...

Regarding the fabric armrests in Quests with leather seats: although neither the factory nor aftermarket leather option includes replacing the fabric on the armrests with leather (as would be the expectation, right?), a salesman told me today that he thought the armrest fabric could be replaced with leather for a "reasonable" fee. The fabric in the middle and rear looked like it could also be replaced with leather. Still, when you add a leather option to a near-$30k vehicle, the armrests should be included.

Regarding DVD control: all of the Quests we saw (SL's and SE's) had, at the left-middle passenger's head level, a little console that *looked* like it could be used to operate the DVD, if present. So it looks like there might be another option for DVD control besides the remote and the ill-positioned main controls at the front passenger's seat bottom.

We saw an SE for the first time. There are a number of "design afterthoughts" in this model. modena2904 already mentioned one: the extremely flimsy retractable sunshades on the overhead windows. These can easily be snagged (and I expect ripped) on the sides of the slots they ride in. We also wondered if they would become brittle and crack after years of sun exposure.

Another design afterthought on the SE: the extensions on the sun visors cannot be extended when the visor is in the forward position. The overhead console in the SE is in the way. The interference is through the entire swing of the visor. I quickly saw two different ways this flaw could have been easily addressed. It was obvious Nissan simply did not think through the SE's overhead console. The SL does not have this problem.

Something else on the SE which might not be a problem, but of which you should be aware, is that the rear power door does not start sensing for obstruction until it is partially closed (about 1/3 to 1/2 way). Once it is far enough closed, the obstruction sensor works very well.

I do NOT like the button on the rear left side which actuates the rear power door. A child can easily push this and the door will close, even with the key out of the ignition. This is a safety hazard: a child can be trapped inside or have his or her fingers pinched in the sides of the closing door. The same button cannot be used to open the door, according to the salesman we talked to.

Finally, the grille. Super-cool-looking, right? (well I think it is) But take a close look at it. The hundreds of right angles will be AWFUL to clean! Yeah, it's a minor point...until you get back from a trip and have to clean off the bugs...

I agree again with modena2904 that these will not be flying off the lots. Wait a few months and I'll bet you won't pay anywhere near MSRP.
  • FEHarperFEHarper Member Posts: 70
    Reading the last several posts, I see these criticisms as really minor. This van looks, in person, like a concept showcar. The quality of interior materials, I found, to be generally excellent on the SE, and I ordered one, also looking at the Pacifica and Sienna. I agree with the plastic curtains for the skyview roof, however, being cheap. Leaving a small child or infant unattended and alone in the rear seat of a car will get you a visit from DSS in my state. This was a Nissan concept to build an UNMINIVAN minivan and they have succeeded. The chassis, engine, ergonomics, style are outstanding and very competitive with the Toyotas and Hondas. People, in these lousy economic times, are waiting for discounts and a better variety, as the Quests are just trickling in to dealerships now in small numbers, and the dealers are asking for MSRP.
  • ncflyerncflyer Member Posts: 28
    Just compare the volume of posts in this forum to the volume of posts in the Sienna forum (even before the Sienna was released) and it will tell you how excited folks are for these vehicles. I went to the Cleveland Auto Show in the spring, and whereas the Siennas were packed with onlookers, I can't say the same about the Quests. I realize Toyota is a much bigger gorilla than Nissan, so that gives them a big headstart, but the buzz just ain't out there, and whereas I think Siennas will be at MSRP for year, I don't see that being the case with Quests. In contrast, I'm seeing Murano's all over and I think they've really done quite well with that one.
    The Toyota Sienna has been in the dealerships much longer, for a while represented the only real alternative to the Hondas, and people were paying sticker + pinstriping, advertising fees, toyoguard, etc. when they first hit the dealerships. We went down to price them and got the "typical" Toyota buying experience. The volume of posts, I think, represents the headstart that Toyota had. The Pacifica also got off to a slow start, but I have noticed a slew of them on the road over the past two weeks. Time will tell, but I think the real advantages of the Quest will be better overall handling, acceleration, interior/exterior styling being entirely subjective (but my favorite hands down).
    FEHarper:
    "Leaving a small child or infant unattended and alone in the rear seat of a car will get you a visit from DSS in my state."

...as it will, and should, in just about any state.

You are downplaying a dangerous aspect of this vehicle. It will not be an infant or small child who will be playing with the liftgate button on the OPEN liftgate. It will be the 5- to 10-year olds, playing in the back of the OPEN vehicle, at a picnic or ball game or whatever. I doubt that you will have your eyes on that kid--or other's kids--at all times. The kid does not have to be sitting in the back seat--only in the general OPEN area of the liftgate: sitting on the bumper, for example.

I've capitalized the word OPEN several times for a reason: the button is ACTIVE while the vehicle is OFF and the liftgate is OPEN. This is just plain dumb and dangerous. And this "feature" appears on the SL as well as the SE.

It's not such a minor point.

And I'll agree in a instant that the Quest is a very nice-looking vehicle. It you have to buy a minivan, the Quest makes it a bit more easy to do. But if I'M going to drop $30k on a minivan, I'm not so sure that the Quest is the best investment. $30k is a whole lot of money to me, and I think I'd rather limit the depreciation as much as possible.
    Dec. '98 - almost '99. Anyway, there wasn't much buzz then either and the '99 was a new model. All the buzz then was the new Odyssey of course. Sienna's were highly regarded and my local Toy dealer wasn't dealing, but Honda had the buzz. Helped my pricing I'm sure.

The Quest better do well in crash testing or sales may never gain a foothold. I'm not sure how many people really look at those scores, but the average results for the '99's couldn't have helped market share.

I also saw some pics of a '49 Jeepster over the weekend. Guess where the speedo and other knobs and switches were? Yep, dead center. Guess there's nothing much new under the sun.

Steve, Host
    Maybe Kmead was planning on cross-posting in here, but is still working on part two. Good review:

kmead "2004 Nissan Quest vs 2004 Toyota Sienna" Jul 20, 2003 7:45pm

Steve, Host
  • vmaturovmaturo Member Posts: 71
    The Person Driving.
  • niceguyniceguy Member Posts: 20
    I've just test drove the Quest04 model S last weekend and here are what I noticed compared with the Toyota CE model:

1. The curtain airbag is standard on the Quest.
    2. Quest uses chain-timing-belt instead of the conventional belt that we have to replace every 60K miles.
    3. Quest has In-glass-antena.
    4. There's a sensor in the passenger seat to sensor your weight to trigger the airbag on the Quest. According to the saleman, this idea was for the safety of small child when seating in the front seat.

We still have not decided on which van that we'll get yet. Please keep adding more ideas, opinions, suggestions that you know or have.

Hope you all have a good day !!!
  • marsh1nmarsh1n Member Posts: 1
    I went to look at the Quest last night. The power hatch button in the back can be disabled from the drivers seat. Next to the button that opens the hatch is an "On/Off" button that turns off the power to the button. It's the equivalent to the window lock on my Maxima.

I agree the interior of the car looks pretty cheap. I was planning on using the car with one of the 2nd row seats down at all times. After looking at the quality of the fabric, I think the fabric will wear very badly.

Nice car, but it looks unpolished.
    I think that the Quest will look more attractive once the prices come down while Sienna prices are still at MSRP+. Plus, by the time Sienna prices come down, the new Odyssey will be here.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Yeah .. Can you justify paying top dollar for a NICE exterior looking vehicle with an UN-polished interior ? (At least, that seems to be the popular opinion here) Maybe I should pop over to the local dealer and check one out myself ...
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I checked out a quest and think the interior is better than any other mini except for the 04 sienna. I owned a 03 odyssey and that had one of the drabest and spartan interiors I have ever owened even my old '92 lumina was better. There is nothing wrong with the quest interior except for the "unique" center arrangement.
    The Odyssey doesn't have a dull interior. I own one, and the interior isn't spartan, it's just not fancy and plain, just like all Honda dashboards. (That's what I like about Honda. It's simple and straightforward) Okay, back to the Quest:
        The Quest is just kinda odd for the class, so that's why we should go out and buy one, because everyone wants a Sienna right now. By the time Sienna prices come down, you might as well pay sticker to buy an 05' Odyssey.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    You have to understand I am not a honda fan. The Oddyssey interior is functional nothing more. I owned the honda for 4 months just couldn't get used to how utterly boring it was in all major ways. Don't get me wrong it was capable and I made money on it in the trade in but I would never buy another honda product they are just not my type of vehicles.
    I just picked up our 2004 Quest SE with DVD and navigation and would like to share the experience. Interior - nicely done, good fit and finish, nice leather. Driver's view - expansive and confident. Power doors and hatch - quiet, convenient. Navigation - I was amazed at how accurate this thing is. Relatively new roads in my area were pictured. All cars SHOULD have navigation! Back seats - comfy, roomy. Cabin is quiet. I must admit, there is a learning curve for all the electronics on the console. I have been studying my owners manual like my college organic chemistry text. Drive is very nice. This car has been engineered to handle like a sedan - little lean in turns, good, quiet acceleration, fat tires. Cubby holes abound for all. My son wants to live in the van - amazing. I still love the styling personally and found people coming across the parking lot to have a look today.
  • xbzzxbzz Member Posts: 4
    From reading through the specs & the discussions, I know the 2nd row chairs could be fold down to the floor. However, I'm not sure how flat it would be and if the chairs are removable.

Here is my situation:

We like to have opened space in the middle row (limo style for kids) so one of the chairs will be in the "down" position for a long period of time. To protect the chair from kids who might step on it while going in & out of the van, the chair need to be able to fold down completly flat with the floor so I can cover it with something or to remove it until the day we need to carry more passengers.

Thanks
    there's nothing wrong with plain and functional. The Quest's Navigation system sounds great, but Nissan tells me that I have to buy a backseat DVD Entertainment system, which I don't want or need.
  • ronoboy2ronoboy2 Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I peeked at the new Quest and she immediately said it looked like a hearse. Not sure about that, but it is a really long vehicle. We'd probably go for a smaller minivan like the MPV should we go the minivan route, but we're happy with our 2002 Altima for now. I'd just helped my stepdaughter purchase a used Sentra and the salesman seemed dubious about how popular the new Quests would be, it was too "space-agy" in his view. Will be interesting to see how sales go....
  • kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I drove an 04 Quest SE yesterday. My two boys chose to ride in the rear most seat using their large boosters side by side, its wide enough to have had a third of the same size or our daughters Britax. I chose a mix of parking lots, local streets and highway along with our driveway :) The ride was quiet, smooth and very competent. Overall it is a very relaxed vehicle to drive. The engine is more than adequate for any situation (being new I didn't give it red line shifts or really get on it) I encountered in 30 minutes of driving and never seemed stressed. In corners the body stays flat and suffered some tire howl on the one turn I took fast, the understeer was manageable and the steering gave good feedback. The view of the road is very good with the low dashboard, but you cannot see any of the front of the vehicle itself. The front pillars are quite far away and relatively thick (as many modern cars have become for structural reasons), the outside rear view mirrors are good sized but have a odd shape that removes some of the possible view, not creating a blind spot as the area cut off is nearest the door glass. The view out the sides is excellent as is the quarter views over your shoulder. As for the view out the rear, it sure is a small window and the head rests exacerbate the limited opening further, not its best feature. The rear pillars are very thick and the self opening mechanism for the rear hatch reduces the view a little more, all of this contributes to a fairly large blind spot I found bothersome.

Being the SE it had every option and widget imaginable, in my short ride I didn't try to use the DVD or Nav system. I did use the stereo and AC system, the radio was pleasant and easy to use with convenient rotary knobs for making adjustments. The station and other information is displayed on the same flat screen along with the Nav system and AC info. It was a Bose system and was quite adequate, I just used the radio portion. The CD player is separate and lives below the primary controls on the center control "barrel", it isn't in the best position for the driver as you cannot see it without ducking down. The DVD player is in the side of the passengers seat facing the driver with controls the driver could manipulate if you care to reach while stopped at a light, the passenger will be looking at the labels upside down, there is a remote. There are a couple of storage bins on the "barrel", one slides out quite far and has some reconfigure ability, the second is a bin that isn't very deep. The AC system was not as easy to deal with, at least without reading the manual or getting some instruction from the sales person ( I got none on that subject), the rear AC was easier to decipher as it had separate knobs that replicate the controls on the ceiling behind the passenger. There are separate temp displays in the four corners of the screen showing outside ambient, driver, passenger and rear temp settings. It was easy to see even in bright sunlight (it was @130pm), I don't know what it might be like with direct low angle sun. For all the functions that this vehicle has it had a surprisingly small number of buttons, most on the top surface of the barrel, you cannot read the labels without looking down at them and there are few landmarks to orient/learn which button to push. The buttons are all in two sets of double rows one set going between the two radio knobs and the other set between the radio and the AC controls. Perhaps once you get used to it there won't be problem, but if you lend it to someone you need to give a primer on its use, which is not really a good thing for a vehicle in motion.

As for the location of the instruments, they did require an effort to see, especially the engine temp and fuel level which are back lit LCDs that tend to wash out. As I am very familiar with the roads I drove, I found myself only rarely needing to look at the speedo and when I did it took as much effort as looking at a normally positioned speedo so putting it in the center is of little value from that perspective. (They didn't put it there for so much for overseas ease of conversion as the molding of the main part of the dash needs to change anyway due to other features, I think it was another ploy to differentiate the Quest from other vans). The hand controls for turn signals, wipers and so on are interesting to look at and have a quality feel. The shifter on top of the barrel is an odd thing, not so much its position but its lack of choices. There is a primary unlock you squeeze as you change from park to R or D and a overdrive button on the left. What is odd is that it gives you drive and low, which seems bit limiting given that it has 5 speeds, in a mountainous area or an area with snow I would like more control. The wheel controls for audio and cruise were easy to use, I don't know if they are backlit which would make them much more convenient. There are other controls at knee level on the left side for the outside mirrors, stability control, door shut off and rear sonar system shut off. The mirror control cannot be reached from my at normal seated position making me look at the mirror and then lean forward to adjust, look and adjust in stages, this is not a good design and should have been on the door with the window controls. The overhead has controls for the doors, rear hatch, and sunroof. The sunroof has two controls, one for pop up and one for opening, both allow you to set a position and take your hand away while the mechanism moves (the VW rotary control is better). The rear view mirror has the Homelink system integrated and was self dimming. Overall the design of the drivers area is clean and uncluttered, but at the expense of needless control complexity some areas.

The seat were leather covered and upholstered in a home furniture style. They have little side support for cornering but are very comfortable. Both front seats were power operated with the drivers having two memory settings. There was manual lumbar support with a control in a rather difficult to reach spot on the left side of the seat back, it tended to move a large section of the back forward which may not satisfy some as adequate. This vehicle also had adjustable foot pedals which are an excellent feature that allow you to move your body as far as possible from the steering wheel if you are short (which I and most women are). The steering wheel is adjustable for angle, but is hinged fairly close to the wheel which moves it through a tight arc that doesn't correspond to the way your arms and wrist joints do making it hard to find a good position (my wife also commented on this). Overall the drivers position was comfortable and gave me lots of ways to get comfortable or adjust a bit during a trip. The second row seats had a similar appearance with a single piece rear bench.
     Continued in next post
    The second row seats folded nicely into the floor in a two step process, first the seatback folds onto the squab and then the whole seat goes moves forward and down on a parallelogram linkage. It is slick but does need the front seats moved forward to accomplish it. When the seats are up, they are quite far back and can only be moved further back with the adjusting mechanism dropping the seat as it goes back. The seat bases are draped like a couch cover with fabric and carpet, this all seems rather fussy and I wonder about its general longevity as there were already a couple of velcro elastic straps adrift already. The floor around the middle row seats is very complex with lots of nooks and crannies to catch the detritus of children and trips to the home center, not a good situation in my view. The rear bench is very similar to the Honda/Mazda system but seemed a bit more awkward to do. The head rests have to be removed and Nissan provides a cloth sack to put them in that takes up room in the trunk area, it seemed like an afterthought compared to the net well on an Ody. The head rests are large and provide good support (unlike the Sienna's) but are somewhat awkward to install as the rods tended to bend inward. The rear seat was extemely heavy and difficult to pull back into the well when folded flat and just as difficult to put back up. The Ody and MPV are easier and better, the Sienna is alot better. The overhead has lots of little cubbys and in this case the glassed roof openings with roller shades that required a bit of coordination to use by a child and a surprising amount of force, sliding covers might have been a better choice. This has to be the only minivan not competing in the cupholder wars, in some ways to its detriment as it doesn't have enough in some of the right places. In particular up front, there is only one (that I could find) on the SE mounted to the side of the drivers seat, in a flip open pod and it didn't seem very secure as its not very deep. There were holders molded into the sides of the two middle row seats and two molded into the rear side panels for the third row. There may have been more but I didn't note them. In regards to other storage it was adequate if not voluminous with lots of shallow spots in front of the driver (including a nifty one in the dash thats rather shallow) and passenger. There is a nice little clip for holding a piece of paper in front of the steering wheel for directions or your shopping list nicely visible through the steering wheel, nice touch. The trunk is deep but the vertical area is compromised by the pronounced styling of the vehicle's rear, adequate but not huge. Given the massive difference in interior room between the the Quest and the Sienna and Odyssey, the trunk seems a bit small.

The sliders work nicely, requiring just lifting the exterior handle to get the motor running, on the SE there are two as well as a power rear hatch (complete with flashing lights and annoying beeper). The inside power door button on the B pillar is rather small and too close to the door opening. There is a rear hatch button in the rear area as well that can be reached by a 3rd row seat passenger which my 6 year old promptly demonstrated, this should be somewhere else as I would rather a child not be able to reach it. I didn't try to overcome the closer mechanisms or shut off the mechanisms to operate them manually. The front doors have nice heft and don't feel too light and tinny like the Altima's doors did. There was one door rattle in the drivers side slider, but beyond that it was tight and quiet. Wind and road noise was subdued and the engine note was pleasant but not intrusive. I like to know there is an internal combustion engine under the hood and this vehicle doesn't disappoint but isn't overbearing.

Styling is clearly a subjective issue. I think overall its nicely styled in and out. There are some really nice things in the interior in particular the front door handles and the barrel. My wife wasn't taken with its "face" (the front end) or the overall design, but it is a box after all. I do feel Nissan chose styling over function in many areas as a means of differentiating its box from the others so in all likelyhood you will like it or hate it, it is definitely not pablum so they have done what they set out to do.

All of the Quests come with side curtain airbags which is an excellent feature, side airbags for the driver and front passenger are optional on the S and standard on the SE. Three point harnesses are at each seating position and there are at least 3 latch positions in the rear (2 in second row and one in the rear bench).

So in summation the Quest is a good minivan with some unusual features and compromises (as all things are). Compared to its direct competition the Odyssey and the Sienna (the Mazda is much smaller) its a good alternative. The Quest has some options the others just don't offer which is nice but also lacks some features that I think are needed as a baseline especially with the introduction of the 04 Sienna. Specifically the split rear seat, roll down slider windows (thank you Mazda) and 5 speed on all models. I do applaud Nissan for offering side curtain airbags on all models as safety is important to all people regardless of economic position (shame Toyota). I think that anyone who wants a medium sized minivan with 7 seats would be well served by the Quest and it will further erode sales of the Odyssey (mainly due to its age) but will likely not take much away from Sienna sales as I suspect the Sienna buyer is just more conservative. It will provide another avenue and will cause downward price pressure on the Sienna which will be good for all of us.

As for me, its still a Sienna, eight seats with a split rear bench and a 5 speed tranny are major selling points in my case, which Nissan is not delivering.
    Lots of good info.

I'm confused about your tranny comment. We show the SE as having a 5 speed transmission. Unless you are talking about the shifter that only offers 5 positions?

Steve, Host
    Sorry for the confusion.

Yes the van I drove had the five speed, but the shifter itself actually offers only "D" and "L" for selecting gears. There is also the Overdrive button giving in effect 3 selections. To me this is an inadequate set of selections given the number of gears available. In mountainous and cold weather areas (usually one and the same) there are times when you want to be able to use the engine braking ability to hold the vehicle back without using brakes only. This would all be part of having control of the vehicle, something automatics deprive the driver of in any case, but this further limits your control choices.

I understand that most drivers just dump it into drive and go, so for most people this is not an issue but I commented on it because I haven't seen such limited selection since the old3 speed autos. In my case, moving from a manual transmission to an automatic, further losing this level of control is an issue that is extremely offputting and in my view is a safety issue.

This is one of the many things about the new Quest that I found extremely bothersome. For a vehicle that touts being for drivers, it has many elements that take away from being a driver or add more load on the driver for no good reason beyond interesting design (all the buttons on the barrel and the LCD display for all ventilation etc.) It is clear that this van is for moving people around and not stuff: the stepped floor which provides low entry height creates alot of nooks and crannies to clean after a trip to the homecenter or nursery. In addition the carpet on the back of the 2nd row seats is rather ticky tacky, I can see ground in stuff being impossible to remove, giving the third row passengers a permanent inkblot test to think about (dirty carpet on the back of the 3rd row seat is much less of an issue given that you see it when its down or the hatch open).

This is a good van and many people will be extremely satisfied with it. I think Nissan is selling itself short with its remarkably sexist "this is a van for a sexy mom" statements as more than just women drive them and presumeably not sexy women won't want it? Wierd. (I know where this came from, designers prepare trend/lifestyle boards to document the proposed demographic. This was likely a heading that marketing glommed onto and we now get to suffer. That was fine for a working document, but not really appropriate for real use in my view.)

In regards to value, I too question Nissan's pricing to value relationship but at the same time applaud them for including important safety features in all of the Quests. Toyota charges alot for those safety features, effectively raising the price to more than the Quest just to get to the same baseline price. A Quest S optioned is 26700, a similarly equipped Sienna (package 6) is 27400. These are not exact matches but pretty close. Many people I think will choose the Toyota over the Nissan for the roll down windows, split rear seat, 5spd tranny and the brand reputation. Nissan has said it will work hard to gain market share with this vehicle which I suspect will translate into a soft price by way of incentives, dealer money or whatever. Some people do not value the added safety features and won't pay for them on the Sienna so they see the Sienna as being less expensive and the Quest being too expensive with no way to be competitive. You can see this on the Sienna compared to Quest board here.

I also applaud Nissan (and Honda) for making reasonable packages without so many options that allow you to get what you want. In Toyota's case, they have a ton of packages for each level and there isn't quite one that has what I want. Go to any board about the Sienna and you can see the buyer frustration with the system. Nissan has demarcated the market quite well as Entry, Major market (Entry Plus) with leather, and Premium. They then give you entertainment choices, navigation and so on appropriate to the price level you chose (few base level owners want dual screens or nav etc).
    And speaking of trim levels, I find it a bit odd that Nissan fools with two transmissions on the Quest. I don't think most people decide to go up a trim level to get a 5 speed tranny, but they would for leather and nav. Seems easier just to stick a 5 speed in all of them.

Steve, Host
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    In the brochure I got from Nissan (before the vehicle was released) it says one of the options "adjustable front seats armrests". But I don't see nothing in the one I tried last week.

Also, did you noticed that the Quest does not offer a storage drawer below the front passenger seat, as most other are?
    The Quest has fold down arm rests on both front and middle row seats.

They also have a storage drawer that is deleted on models with DVD/Nav systems as the DVD player occupies the space the drawer uses normally.

The SE I drove had armrests.