Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest 2004+

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    you forgot to do something...leave the deposit with the dealer, tell them that you will pick it up when they have completed repairs. TAKE YOUR TRADE WITH YOU, and come back when they finish...i have no problem with that.

what i have a problem with is that someone would finish a deal, drop the new car off for some touch up, and only ask for a loaner AFTER dropping it off. didnt you know when you saw the chips that you would need a loaner? YOU are the one spending $30k...you should be thorough about it.
  • greg_ygreg_y Member Posts: 26
    Hello Quest Owners:

I have driven a 2004 Quest and was thoroughly impressed. I loved the power and the handling of this van. I do have a question about the middle row seats.

When I looked at the van, I noticed that the middle row seats have a somewhat smaller frame and padding that the usual middle row seats. I know that this is because the middle row seats in the Quest drop into the floor (somewhat). Have any of you noticed any problems with comfort or support for full-sized people sitting in these seats? There also didn't appear to be much room between the middle row seats to get to the back seats. I am sure that if anyone sits in the back row if I purchase a Quest, it will be a child. But has anyone had any issues with access to the back row seat?

I also noticed that my local dealer had a sticker with a $1,895 "market value adjustment" on the van. This is an insult to a shoppers intelligence. The closest Carmax dealer will now sell a new Quest S or SL at up to $200 below invoice. Sorry about that. Just had to vent. The closest Nissan Carmax dealer is about three hours away. I will gladly drive that distance to get a good deal on a Quest.

Your input in this matter is greatly appreciated. TIA
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Shopping around is the way to go, and additional dealer markup is laughable. Only Siennas are getting MSRP at this point, and lots of them are going for under MSRP.

Check the Nissan Quest: Prices Paid & Buying Experience board too.

Steve, Host
  • shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    I hear what you're saying, and I appreciate your candor. But I think you're missing the BIG picture here.

I'm in sales (real estate), like you are (cars). And I experience everyday where people will buy something and overlook issues that are obvious to us, and SHOULD be apparent to them. Why? Because the kinds of products we both sell, the primary motivator is emotion. Emotion clouds judgement...just ask your wife! (smile)

It's incumbent upon us to help our customers see the things they ought to see, but don't. That's why were the pro's, and they're not. That's how we earn our money.

When I go the extra mile, whether I "have to" or not, I always win: in self-respect, in appreciation from my customers, in referral business, in increased income.

Most people in my business get that. Many people in you business don't. Does it mean we're better human beings, with better morals, etc. Not really. It may just come down to the fact that we're licensed and carefully scrutinized by our state governments, with lawyers involved in every transaction, and car salesman are not.

The REAL legal point here is what's known as "Fiduciary Responsibility". The obligation to actively disclose ALL relevant issues that you have knowledge of. You cannot just say "They shoulda seen it" and stay in business long term.

Will some people take advantage of you? Of course some will. It takes all kinds, to make a world. But most people appreciate being treated fairly, and will reciprocate when you do.
    the seats in most new nissans are the "hammock" design, and need less 'padding'. they support a heavier person than the traditional design, and take up less space. also, the entry into the 3rd row isnt supposed to be primarily through the middle of the 2nd row. the entry function is by tumbling the 2nd row seat forward.
  • frittobfrittob Member Posts: 52
    Not sure if the salesman showed you (i'm staying out of that argument:) ... there's three settings for the middle row seats:

. Back = More middle legroom, less back legroom
    . Forward = Less middle legroom, more back legroom
    . Middle = a combination

There's two options for getting in/out of the back (short of climbing over from the hatch <g>):

. The traditional way = The middle seats have a latch which swing them up and forward.
    . My kids way = There is enough room between the two captain chairs that it's easy to get to the back between them
  • vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    I, too, can attest to the comfort of, and the accessibility to, the middle row. The first real ride was a 4 hour trip south and my wife and I shared driving, while the other watched tv in the back seat. I'm 225 lbs, and I was very comfortable. We also trekked back and forth from the front to the back through the middle of the van, while we were driving! (We were in a fair amount of bumper to bumper, that's when we made the move). Point is, comfort and space wise, for a larger person, I was impressed! If only it had AWD, I'd be out playing in the snow now.
    P.S. My Quest had a few scratches and a ding; the dealer took care of fixing it all, offered a loaner, and took $200 off the price and gave us splash guards. In a competitive business, what's right and what's legal might conflict, but there is a reasonable assumption on the consumer's part to get a car that's NEW, and an implied responsibility for the dealer to provide that, within reason. There is nothing like positive word-of-mouth for a car dealer, since the worst is expected. In fact, the difference in the buying experience between Poughkeepsie Nissan and my local Toyota dealer played a large role in the car we ultimately bought!
  • dogmom2dogmom2 Member Posts: 44
    Very easily, I might add. Before we left, I put down the back seat and the drivers middle seat and took my 4yo with me to get it. Used a heavy blue camping ground cloth to cover the interior so I wouldn't get pine needles and dirt in there. It worked like a charm. Picked a 7-8' tree and it swallowed it up, no problem. When I got home, we pulled the tree out with the trunk and the ground cloth, no problem. No pine needles either. Worked well.

I tried to decide between putting it on top or inside. I was afraid we'd scratch it getting it off.
  • mserafinimserafini Member Posts: 1
    2004 Quest SE. Experienced the rattling noise from both sliding doors. Tried the proposed WD-40 solution offered on the board and I am happy to say that the noise is GONE for now.

Also dealing with a very small leak from sky window seal above the third row passenger seat.
    Glad you discovered that what we've been saying is true. The "rattle" is really friction from the latch pieces rubbing together...not a true rattle, like from something loose.

You may need to reapply the lube periodically...but at least you now know how to eliminate one of the most annoying issues we've experienced with our vans.
  • drssyoondrssyoon Member Posts: 27
    Where did you spray? Thanks in advance.
    There are 3 points on the front door frame of each sliding door, and one point on the rear frame of each door. The upper and lower points on the front frame are the upper and lower dovetails. They simply guide the door into the correct position for latching. The middle connector in the front, and the one on the rear are the actual latching points. There are matching connectors on the front and rear edges of each of the sliding doors.

You want to spray all 4 connectors on the door frames and all 4 on the doors themselves. A total of 16 points in all, for both of the doors.

You may also choose to spray the transporter arms that the doors slides on in the track, for good measure.

You will also notice something on the front edge of the door frames that has 7 little copper nipples on it and a matching device on the door itself. This is the contact switch. Do not spray it.

You may also want to spray the latches on the rear tailgate and also the seat latches that secure the folding seats in the second and third rows.

After you do this, you will notice an immediate and dramatic reduction in "rattles" and clatter from these places.
  • drssyoondrssyoon Member Posts: 27
    Thanks Shenkar. I had already sprayed a bit, and it seemed to help already. Will try your locations and see what happens.
    Not really. If you spend more than 5 minutes on this job, you're overdoing it.

Just a 1-2 second shot on and around each connection point will do the trick. You can always go back later to any areas that need it again. So far, I haven't had to re-spray anything yet.
  • lando622lando622 Member Posts: 51
    To revisit this topic... a couple of weeks ago, my local dealer said he had a Nordic White Pearl Quest arriving 12/5 that was already sold. Just happened to browse the Nissan website where you can configure your vehicle and check dealer inventories, and the Nordic White Pearl is showing up as available at their location. The dealer's website is also showing that they have the one Nordic White Pearl in stock.
    i double checked after your post came up, and they still say that the white wont be available till "further notice".

on the nissanusa site, the white has been on the "build your own" page since day 1.

but...if its there, more power to you! ;-)
    I may try to sneak out of work a touch early to see if I can see it on the lot like it's listed on the dealer's website.

I checked a dozen or so other dealer inventories in my area, and none had the nordic frost.

Very interesting...
    Saw the Nordic White Pearl in the dealer showroom today after work. It's the only one I know of in the area, and it's my favorite of all the Quest colors. They had the SE model in this color, and it looked sharp.
    if they were just waiting for the mississippi plant to be at full production?
  • snoopy1010snoopy1010 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone knows the color of the carpet floor mat for Rogue interior?

Is it red (like the leather seat color) or is it black?
  • samuelgsamuelg Member Posts: 36
    We just picked up our brand new 2004 SL Quest this afternoon. We had running bords & mud guards installed by the Nissan dealer. In the trip from the dealership to our home, a short 5 or six mile drive, the mud guards bottomed out & scraped the ground. A lot. Everything else is great.

At home, I measured the clearance from the bottom of the mud guards to the ground- only 4 inches of clearance. My wife's Honda Accord has 8 inches. I am convinced they put on the wrong mud guards. Plus I can see they don't fit & conform to the precise shape of the fender area where they mount.

So, my question is, can someone pls post the clearance you have with your mud guards? Thanks.

Got a good deal at $26,092 for an SL with running boards, mud guards & mats. Price without these extras was $25,239.

Sam G
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    So far as I know, mine were installed at the factory. There is a 7-1/2" clearance.
  • frittobfrittob Member Posts: 52
    The ceiling is still beige, but the carpeting and side moldings are black ... really brings out the chrome accents on the doors and dash.

pics of the rouge interior at:
    http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2004/vmd9406ml.html
    depends on exterior color.
  • snoopy1010snoopy1010 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

Actually, what I meant was the optional carpeted floor mat but not the built-in carpet.

AFAIK, there are 3 different optional carpeted floor mats for 3 different interior (Gary, Beige, Rogue).

For Rouge internior, is the color of the optional carpeted floor mat black or red (like the leather seat)?

Thanks.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I was planning on picking up my SE tomorrow and the dealer just called with "good news". I was instantly wary of some sort of sales pitch, but he told me Nissan just announced 1.9% financing.

So I'll be getting my now cheaper SE tomorrow.
  • ctl1ctl1 Member Posts: 18
    gg2k2se,
    I haven't been able to find any confirmation of the 1.9% financing via this website, Nissan's website or any press releases. Is this Nissan financing or some special deal from your dealership only? I was planning on replacing our family minivan this spring, but 1.9% financing could entice me to move up my plans.
    ctl1
  • smithco83smithco83 Member Posts: 3
    It's real. Full page ad in yesterday's USA Today, also on Nissan web site but you have to click through the financing section. 1.9% up to 60 months, didn't see any other particular qualifers other than in-stock, good credit, expires 1/5/04.
  • ctl1ctl1 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the info. We checked out a Quest SL today and were impressed. It drives more like a car than a minivan and we like the style. We will check out the competition before we make any decision to buy though. I guess the 1.9% financing did its job - it got us into the showroom.
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    Hi,

in market for a minivan - never drove one, or been in a minivan until today!

I drove the Odyssey (dealer was closest to my office..) first. Currently drive a Saab 9-5 wagon.

Has anyone here driven both the Quest and Odyssey? I found the driving position in the Odyssey to be strange - wasn't sure if it was an Odyssey trait, or do all minivans just feel like your driving - a van...

I certainly expect some difference, but I just could not get that comfortable in the Odyssey.

thx
  • cablekccablekc Member Posts: 54
    My wife and I are having our first child in June/July and am planning to get a minivan ( mainly leaning towards the Quest ) next year. I am wondering if I should wait for the "next year" model ( as in 2005 ) or just go ahead with the most recent model that is available at that time.

Is the Nissan Quest for 2004 already out?

If so, when was it released?

I am concerned about some of these "problems" that I have been reading of the Quest, which I attribute to any newly remodelled car ( no matter what brand it is ) and was hoping that they will be straightened out in next year's model.

Does anyone know when the 2005 model will be released?
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    It's a little bit too early to determine what will be available on the 05 Quest. I doubt no intuitive features will go in the 05 model as the Quest has almost every feature right now. Yes, the 04s are already out by the way.

If you don't want the Quest, I suggest the 04 Sienna. Either way, both minivans are the segment leaders.
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    For those who have had the van for a while, are you getting the rated 19 MPG for tanks of gas that are mostly in-city driving? Thanks for your help!
  • raul4raul4 Member Posts: 95
    I purchased my van on 9/18/03. I really don't put a lot of mileage on my van but I have been keeping a record of my gas purchases since 10/31/03 and that shows that I am getting only 14.4 MPG at 1532 miles. The computer for the same period shows 17.8 MPG. Certaintly not impressive but I would expect it to increase as I travel more mileage.
  • dogmom2dogmom2 Member Posts: 44
    I have been keeping records of the gas mileage since we got the van. My city driving gives me 14-17mpg, not great. My pure highway driving on a long trip got me up to 24mpg. The 14mpg doesn't make me happy. It has gotten slightly better over time. I have 3800 miles on the van now and have had it since Sept 1.
    8,800 miles since new. 22 MPG interstate. 18-19 around town.
  • vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    we're up to 3200 miles, and combined we get around 19, heavy-footed highway I get 24.
  • ronoboyronoboy Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the gas mileage info - we've never had much luck getting the estimates on the sticker (we get a bit over 20 a gallon on our 2002 Altima for city driving but have never approached the listed 23). Good to know that at least some are getting the listed mileage along with the Quest low mileage horror stories - not sure I want to risk buying a vehicle that may get the same mileage as a large SUV but I'll go for a test drive at least. Seems odd that the new Quest has better listed gas mileage (19 city/26 highway)than the much smaller Mazda MPV (18 City/24 highway). Maybe I should wait for the first hybrid engine minivan (Toyata taking the lead on that?). This discussion group is very helpful, thanks again!
  • cartagramcartagram Member Posts: 115
    It's not strange to me that the Quest has better EPA estimates than the Mazda MPV. Their Protege had low estiamtes compared with the Civic and Corolla. I think it has to do more with the manufacturer's choice of engines (and engine design) than strictly with vehicle size.
    We looked and sat inside a Quest today. My wife, usually critical of non-Honda manufacturers, actually liked the Quest. Especially the equipment available on the S level. But I noticed one item missing--the roofrack. The salesman said you had to move up to an SL to get a roofrack (and for the extra $2500, accept the sliding doors and other things that we'd prefer not to have).

Can a Nissan roofrack be added, and who would add it? If it's the dealer, can I trust them to do it right? If it's a third-party shop, am I voiding the Quest's warranty?

Too bad the roofrack is not available as a factory option on the S level!
    roofracks arent even available on the odyssey LX. nissan will eventually offer one under warranty, but its not available yet. if you drill holes in the roof for the rack outside the dealer, you do void the corrosion warranty. i wouldnt let that be a deal breaker though...you'll get one eventually.
    Yikes! You're right about the Odyssey. Everything I've seen at the Honda dealer is EX level. But, I checked the catalog-brochure and you're absolutely right.

I'd like a rack because if nothing else, I'll put bikes up there and maybe, in the future, a kayak.

Looks like Toyota includes it at the LE level and offers it as part of a package at the CE level.

Thanks for your comments!
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    FWIW: there *is* a roofrack available for the ODY LX. i can't imagine that Honda changed the 2004 so drastically that a roofrack isn't available for the current model.

http://www.handaccessories.com/odyext02.html

also it is listed in the options brochure at the dealership and you can always call the parts department.

it exists. i have one on my LX. ;)
    If you intend to carry kayaks, I suggest you skip the factory rack and go with a real rack from Thule.com or Yakima.com or perhaps Barrelcrafters. My '99 Quest factory rack is there for looks as near as I can figure and I certainly wouldn't trust my canoe or kayak up there.

Steve, Host
    user777: yes, I see the Odyssey LX can have a "Convenience Package" (according to the Dealer-Installed Accessor Packages tab at the back of the catalog. It includes a CD, remote entry and a roofrack. This package, though, doesn't show up in the Edmunds New Car pricing Options section. I don't know how to price it out...

steve_HOST: two questions...First, would adding a Thule or Yakima or other 3rd-party roofrack void the vehicle warranty? And second, how do we find out how well the manufacturer's rack performs compared with that of a 3rd-party? Is there a webpage on roofrack reliability?
    An aftermarket roof rack attaches to your vehicle's interior rain gutters with clips. No warranty issue should be involved although you may scratch the paint on the inside of the doors if you install and remove them frequently.

I'm not sure what reliability factor you are concerned with. Generally, the aftermarket racks are rated for heavier loads than the factory ones (i.e. 150 pounds instead of 100 pounds or similar).

The weight isn't so much an issue with me as ease of loading and stability. I tried some Yakima adapters on my Quest briefly that used the factory rack instead of Yak towers. The rack sagged with a 70 pound tandem canoe and just didn't feel bombproof, so I went with a full Yak system (I took that rig on a 32,000 mile road trip over ten months, and didn't want any rack failures).

The aftermarket racks can live in your garage when you don't need them, and the cross bars come in various sizes, so if you frequently carry two tandem canoes or 6 or 8 kayaks (or queen size beds <g>), you can get 78" bars.

I'm a bit particular about my racks since I had a cheap one fail at 50 mph 30 years ago (luckily my backup tie-downs kept stuff attached until I got to the shoulder).

But if you are just toting a Kiwi to the local lake once a month, then the factory rack or a couple of foam blocks could tide you over. Just tie the boats down front and rear and over the sides. That's a cheaper solution since the aftermarket racks are pricy.

Steve, Host
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i'm thinking that the loading limit is more a function of the cross-bars than the rails that they are attached to that mount to the roof.

i'm not a mechanical person so you might want to help me understand how an aftermarket rail / or connection to the vehicle might permit more loading than the rails designed for the vehicle (probably not made by Honda anyway). ;)

in the case of the ODY LX roof rack, the cross bars seemed like the weak link..but not the rails themselves. i could be wrong about that. don't know if aftermarket would have been cheaper.

if i desire to get good cross bars and optionally install them when i need them, i have the flexibility to do that...they'd attach to the rails i had my dealer install.

granted, my dealer thought i was strange to request just the rails installed on the ODY LX, but that's what i wanted; i don't think it's easy to remove the factory crossbars on the LX if you desire to do so.

while the instructions for installing the rails looked straight-forward (see the web-site), i wanted them installed by the dealer...with three kids i don't have much time to work on that stuff.

anyway, it's an option. it can be installed by a dealer, or by a mechanically inclined person with some time. on another vehicle...
    Okay, I could put the Quest S back on my list if I see that my rack needs could be fulfilled by an aftermarket rack. But would a rack that gets clipped to the rain gutters be as immobile as a factory-installed rack that (I assume) is bolted or welded to the roof?

I wonder if adding an aftermarket rack increases the risk of it blowing off when you load it with a cargo carrier, let alone a bike or two, or a canoe.

Any thoughts?
    When all 5 of us looked at minivans (Freestar, Sienna, and Quest) yesterday, the Nissan salesman suggested that the Quest would have lower cost-of-ownership during its lifetime. The proof? Steel timing chain.

He said that changing the Odyssey's and Sienna's rubber timing belts after 60K miles would cost about $1000.

Is that really a factor? (I can't imagine that changing an unbroken belt would be that expensive.)