Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• jeff petronejeff petrone Member Posts: 8
    To get the best price possible... Ask them to see the cost book. Tell them you understand that the dealer must make some profit, and you have no problem with that. But... You don't think you deserve to pay a large premium, after all, they are making money on the vehicle purchase and possibly financing. Not to mention that if they treat you well, odds are you are going to refer a friend/family member or buy your next vehicle from them.
  • mugenex6mugenex6 Member Posts: 33
    Who did you talk to Pohanka Honda.
    I called the Finance Mgr and he was unaware they are selling this EXTENDED warranty (7YR / 100K / $0 DED) for anything less then $1200.

Can you email me their name or email address?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It's not a good idea to post your e-mail address in a public forum as you'll get even more spam. Better to make it public in your Forum profile.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• richk1richk1 Member Posts: 51
    okay - so I'm about to buy a new Accord EX-L v6 and coincidentally, I also just bought a used 2002 Odyssey with only 10800 miles on it.

I definitely want to get an extended warranty for the mini. Besides curryhondacare.com - where else should I look? and what do I need to know to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples - are there "honda approved" extended warranty companies that I should stick with?

As for the Accord, I may want to get the extended warranty there too, but before I can figure out the duration, can someone tell me if these things are generally transferable if I sell the car in 4-5 yrs, but have a 7/100 warranty on it?

Thanks!
    Rich
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    IMO, you should only buy a Honda Care plan sold by Honda. 3rd party plans tend to have many more problems than manf. sponsored plans.

And, Yes. You can transfer a Honda Care plan to another private owner should you sell. You can not transfer the plan if you trade the car in to a dealer...it just goes away in that case.

-D
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Be sure to find out if Honda requires a bumper-to-bumper inspection of a used vehicle by a dealership before they'll sell you a HondaCare EW.

I bought a private party Volvo with 16,900 miles this past August. Any dealer that quoted a price for the VIP (Volvo Increased Protection) extended warranty also required an inspection of the vehicle (one hour's labor charge)--even though the car was still under the original factory warranty. This requirement, obviously, prevented me from getting quotes from dealerships that were beyond driving distance.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I have two Hondas - an 00 Accord with no warranty and an 02 Ody with 100K $0 deductible. Now I went pricing a little through this very board and the odyboard site and landed with a guy at Moss Honda in Baton Rouge (I'm in New Jersey)whose name I no longer remember who sold me the warranty for a touch over $900. I asked the local dealer for a quote and when they wanted $1,800! When I said "for something this buy will sell me for $900?" they didn't even acknowledge that I'd said anything.

When I had the big tranny issue (I have had mixed stories on coverage of the 02 tranny - they had done the second gear inspection and pump deal earlier) I was in a rental on their nickel for more than the 3 days the warranty called for and in a bigger vehicle because I need 6 seats. So all told I was in on Tuesday, out on Saturday, in the rental that time and never opened my wallet. All the work got done by the dealership that wouldn't budge on the price. At least their service people are good.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • clovisguyclovisguy Member Posts: 49
    Check out this link for EW prices http://www.jayhondacare.com/Pricing.htm
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

Someone led me to Curryhonda.com a few weeks ago and looking over their 5 year/100K $0 and $50 deductible list, Curry charges $55/$65 less for the $0/$50 deductible respectively vs. those posted at Jayhondacare at the 1 year out time frame. That is with the $90 coupon they send you via E-Mail in order to see their pricing and for an Accord w/ less then 1 year on it.

At the 2 year + mark, Curry was lower by $5 on the $0/$50 deductible.

At the 3 year + mark, JayHondaCare was lower by $45/$55 respectively on the $0/$50 deductible.

5 Year/100,000 - 1 year/2 year/3 year

Curry
    $50 deductible: $735/$795/$915
    $0 deductible: $810/$860/$970

JayHondaCare
    $50 deductible: $800/$800/$860
    $0 deductible: $865/$865/$925

I hope this helps and I really hope I didn’t screw up the third grade math ;-)

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • buddodobuddodo Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought an Element. I got a Honda Care Plan through the dealership. I paid for a 7yr/70000 mile warranty. After careful thought, I definitely want to change the plan to a 10yr/100000 mile warranty. I am sure within 10 years the contract will have paid for itself with one repair. Is this possible to do, also how would I go by doing this? Thanks

-Bud
  • normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    I must be missing something. Where on curryhonda.com's website are they showing extended warranty info?
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Normkol:

At the following: http://www.curryhondacare.com/

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Hondacare only offers up to 7 years..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• normkolnormkol Member Posts: 135
    Thanks. I will have their prices with me when I pick up my Pilot Tuesday night.

I didn't purchase the EW on my 2000 Accord, and now have 62,000 miles with no repairs. I'm a little more worried about the Pilot with the AWD mechanism, it's a more complicated vehicle. Also, the EXL has alot more power equipment than the Accord did.

Norm
  • pilot seekerpilot seeker Member Posts: 36
    does anyone know if 'gap coverage'is negotiable???
  • clovisguyclovisguy Member Posts: 49
    Do you have to give them your email address to get pricing? I did that a couple of months ago before purchasing a new Honda and received their offer for a discount if I purchased an EW within a short amount of time. I since purchased a new 2005 Accord but haven't decided on a warranty yet and missed the offer. Also, Thanks for the detailed price comparison between CurryHonda and JayHonda xcel.
  • jocktheglidejocktheglide Member Posts: 3
    can I still get a extended warranty on a HO that is 2001 or 2003 with 39k miles on it? Im looking into buying one, but scared of all the issues of tranny problems so I figure if I can buy a EW I mind as well.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    can I still get a extended warranty on a HO that is 2001 or 2003 with 39k miles on it? Im looking into buying one, but scared of all the issues of tranny problems so I figure if I can buy a EW I mind as well.

What's a HO? Honda I assume? Honda care is sold for vehicles under 24,000 miles. After that the price skyrockets. The 2001 V6 auto's are covered by Honda up to 100K miles, not sure about 2003, call Honda corporate to find out.
    The original 3yr/36K warranty has to still be in effect to then purchase the extended warranty.. If the car is over three years old, or has over 36K miles, you are out of luck..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    Does the Honda Care plan offer any discounts on tires? We got a flat with only 500 miles on our Odyssey. Luckily it was patchable but an employee in the service area suggested I get the tire warranty because the roads are so bad where I live. She seemed to indicate that if I had it I might be able to get a new tire for only $50.

Since I have a 2005 Odyssey with Res/Navi I'm starting to think it might not be a bad idea to purchase one of these warranties.
    Hondacare doesn't offer a tire/wheel warranty.. These are usually offered by dealers, and backed by a third-party warranty company..

Usually, they aren't worth the hassle and expense.. I would avoid them... and the potholes!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    The way to negotiate on gap coverage is not take it. If you have a trade in or any down payment the coverage is a very, very poor use of your resources.
  • john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    I am still having a problem with the concept of an extended warranty on a Honda. When buying a new car today, the purchaser makes a conscious decision to either buy a foreign car or a domestic car. Purchasing the foreign car places self over country (because of the trickle-down of jobs associated with the auto industry) and is justifiable in my opinion if a person has had a history of trouble with a domestic car. Concurrent with the purchase of a foreign car is the expectation that the quality is higher (i.e. presumably the reason it was bought). Buying a foreign car and an extended warranty falls into the "sucker" category in my book. The buyer presumably bought the car for the quality and then does not even believe in the quality because an extended warranty is purchased also. Ford and GM offer equivalent extended warranties. If Japanese vehicles are truly better, make them earn it. Don't treat the cars with "kid gloves (i.e. extended warranties)" and then proclaim them better.
    Most Hondas sold in the U.S. are built in Ohio..

Even disregarding that.. your characterization of a car purchase placing self over country is just that.. a characterization.. that doesn't make it so... and if it were so.. how does previous trouble with a domestic car factor in? Because your Chevy blew a headgasket, it is okay to place yourself above country? Sounds like a rationalization to me...

That really doesn't have anything to do with the decision to purchase an extended warranty.. that is a financial decision..

Shhhewwwwwwww

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

No rationalization. I flat out don't care about the fiscal health of the country anymore, I'm set. That's why I bought a Honda. A buyer is blowing his/her money with an extended warranty is the point. If the Japanese cars are higher quality, the extended warranty should come with the purchase price. Otherwise don't BS it with quality, the buyer was lured to buy the car with marketing and fashion and then duped again with an extended warranty. You can make a financial decision to flush $1,000 down the toilet each time you buy a new car, give it to a homeless guy, give it to a slick time-share salesman at the dealership, or better yet, keep it.
  • lindseymarschlindseymarsch Member Posts: 1
    I heard that the keyless entry in my 98 civic may not work if I install a new stereo. Does anyone know if this is true?
    So... to sum up...

1) Your decision to buy a Honda means you have placed self over country....

AND

2) Every time you buy an extended warranty, you have flushed your money down a toilet. (and, this only applies if the car has a Japanese nameplate?).

Thanks for stopping by..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

No offense intended. Perhaps the logic is too complex. Good luck with the warranty.
    Your grand pronouncement that extended warranties on Japanese vehicles are a waste of money simply because they are from Japan overlooks one major consideration: All vehicles, including Japanese, are increasingly complex and feature-laden. Repair costs have increased in proportion to the complexity of the vehicles. (The fact that a higher percentage of vehicles are being totaled by insurance companies are also a testimony to increased repair costs).
    ABS brains, throttle modules, power door motors, airbags, and traction control systems all have substantial repair costs. Japanese or not, when they break, they are expensive to repair.

Perhaps THAT logic is too complex....
    I believe extended warranties are a better value when they're purchased toward the end of the original factory warranty. By that time, you have a better idea about the vehicle's reliability, and have a better perspective as to whether you want to keep it for another 50,000 miles.
    I am still having a problem with the concept of an extended warranty on a Honda. When buying a new car today, the purchaser makes a conscious decision to either buy a foreign car or a domestic car. Purchasing the foreign car places self over country (because of the trickle-down of jobs associated with the auto industry) and is justifiable in my opinion if a person has had a history of trouble with a domestic car. Concurrent with the purchase of a foreign car is the expectation that the quality is higher (i.e. presumably the reason it was bought). Buying a foreign car and an extended warranty falls into the "sucker" category in my book. The buyer presumably bought the car for the quality and then does not even believe in the quality because an extended warranty is purchased also. Ford and GM offer equivalent extended warranties. If Japanese vehicles are truly better, make them earn it. Don't treat the cars with "kid gloves (i.e. extended warranties)" and then proclaim them better.

I see your logic, somewhat. I would not buy extended warranty, because I bought a Honda.

First you need to define for your self what is "Domestic" and what is "Foregn?"

Is a US engineered (CA), US built (OH) Honda a domestic or foregn?
    Is US engineered (MI) Mexico built, out of China made parts GM a domestic?

In my eyes Honda provides numerous jobs here for engineeres and assembly line people. While GM/Ford/Crysler only provide jobs for CEO's, CFO's, and other executives, who reap the benefits of having cheaper, lower quality labor across the border assemble substandard product.

Toyota's sold in US are engineered and built in US, that makes them Domestic.

Crysler Crossfire is built in Austria out of German parts - that makes it foreign.

Chevy Equinox is built in Canada out of China made components - that makes it foreign.

I can go on and on....
    I can go on and on....
    I'm sure you can, but please don't. :)

We're not doing the domestic v import argument here, and I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes than go through another round in the "Just what IS a domestic vehicle?" debate. The archives are filled with the casualties of this war, if you've got a morbid fascination.

Stick to Honda extended warranties and drop the politics and other nonsense.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sunil_bondsunil_bond Member Posts: 7
    Excellent point "blueiedgod", totally agree with you. But then you are a very knowledgeable person, you were able to look beyond the Name plate. Some people just look at the Name plate and make assumptions and even go to the extent of spending thousands of dollars on inferior products based on those assumptions.

You know what they say, Ignorance is bliss.
    Read between the lines. If Hyundai can give a 5 year warranty with a "throw-away" vehicle, why can't Honda at least match the warranty?
    This discussion is about extended warranty info. There are plenty of discussions around to debate the quality of Honda vehicles, and if there's not one you like, you can start something about manufacturer warranty comparisons on News & Views (or ask for one here).

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• tleetlee Member Posts: 44
    Complex logic or not, the fact is most folks (myself included) bought a Honda for its reliability. I had a Civic for 18 years. When I bought the car 18 years ago, I was talked into buying the extended warranty ($200 but it was 18 years ago) by the salesman. But the car was so reliable, for the first 14 years or so, it doesn't need anything beyond the regular maintenance. So, when I totaled the Civic in a crash and bought a new Accord last month, I didn't even think about buying the extended warranty.

But, as kyfdx said, it's a financial decision. In my case, I know that I can shoulder any unexpected repair bills. In a sense, I'm buying the extended warranty from myself. But, with Honda's reliability, chances are that I'll come out ahead at the end.

However, if an unexpected repair bill could be a burden to your budget, it makes sense to purchase the extended warranty. Compared to the leasing crowd, you are probably saving several hundred bucks for each additional month you keep your car. All you need to do is to drive the car for a few more months (before you buy your next new car) to recoup the cost of the extended warranty.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Do you really think that Honda Car or other warranty provideres are in the business to lose money ?

The answer is NO!

The cost of an extended warranty takes into account the cost of repair and the reliability of the vehicle.

Honda doesn't lose money on extended warranties!

But if you want piece of mind then buy one. But be sure you take into account the time value of money. How much would you have for repairs if you take you intial warranty cost and invest it in a risk-free ( or low risk) interest bearing account.

MidCow
  • fast4wardfast4ward Member Posts: 11
    Until you sign, everything is negotaible when buying a car. Check with your auto insurance carrier for their price on gap coverage. If lower, negotiate with the dealer.
    I agree with what you said. The only problem is very few people have the discipline to save the money for the rainy days. Buying the extended warranty upfront is kind of like forced saving for retirement (e.g., social security) for them.
    One other good thing..

Many people don't have the discipline to keep driving a car, once it has repair costs.. If by buying a warranty, you drive the car for five to seven years, rather than 3-4, you are way ahead..

No insurance company sells a product to lose money.. but, still... we insure ourselves against losses every day..

That said, I'm not recommending the extended warranty.. But, if you are going to get one, Hondacare is the only way to go...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Tlee and Kyfdx,

Both are excellent points.: forced savings and extended car life.

Well tomorrow night or Friday I am picking up my new 2005 6-speed black Accord Coupe with NAV.

I would like to add a more throaty exhaust. I like Greddy except for the HUGE exhuast tip size. Any siggestions?

Oh buy the wat I am not getting the extended warranty. Also, declinded during financing some kind of platiunum extend warranty package ( cost about $40 /month) that provide car pay off life insurance, extension of warranty to 60 months 75,000 miles, towing, car rental and replacement cost difference.

Thanks,

MidCow
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "Read between the lines. If Hyundai can give a 5 year warranty with a "throw-away" vehicle, why can't Honda at least match the warranty?"

I think Hyundai HAS to provide an extended basic warranty or many people won't take a second look at their cars. US carmakers often offer longer basic warranty periods than Japenese cars for the same reason. Now, look at extended warranties. For me, it is a basic price/cost equation. It's like getting bodywork on your car after a minor fender bender. Just a few dings and some dents can cost $1,500 to repair. How much does it cost to repair a malfunctioning power side door on a minivan? DVD? Navi? Power seat? Even if you have a Honda for 7 years and only one significant thing ever goes wrong, odds are that one thing will cost more than $1,000. If a 7 year/75K extended warranty costs $795, then it is a good price/cost value. It also might be a dealmaker if you sell the van (HondaCare is transferable once).
    There's a big difference in the complexity level between a (new at the time) '87 Civic and a 2005 Ody Touring loaded with gizmos.

I'm not saying EW's are for everyone, and I wouldn't buy one for new Civic either. But I bought one for my '04 Sienna, and paid $775 for Toyota's 7yr/100K/zero coverage. Considering my van is AWD, has three power door motors, and is the first year of production, I hardly think this is a sucker's bet. Odds are I'll at least break even in the next 100,000 miles.
    As kyfdx said, no insurance company sells a product to lose money. So, the reality is the odds are against you in terms of breaking even.

Nonetheless, apparently it makes you feel better by purchasing the extended warranty. I would say it's a good decision for you.
    Don't patronize me. I can well afford any repair for this vehicle (not to mention TWO sets of factory rims with run-flat tires), so 'budgeting' or 'feeling better' is not the reason I purchased the warranty. Given the factors I already explained, and the fact that an ever increasing number of expensive electronic components are simply replaced rather than repaired, it is a reasonable bet I'll get my $775 back. Others who weren't shrewd enough to negotiate such a low price for the warranty ($25 over dealer cost at the time) may not. Keep in mind, this is a new model with NO repair history.

Obviously, insurance companies are in business to make money. You have a firm grasp of the obvious.
    My apology if you are offended by my comments. It certainly was not my intent.

I was just trying to point out that statistically the odds are against people buying extended warranties. But it doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to buy extended warranties. It's simply a decision everyone has to make for himself.

Also, I didn't keep track of the prices of extended warranties. But apparently you got an excellent deal on that. Congratulations!
    I see your point and do what is best for you. I also see that the crux of my previous comments were poorly understood by the keyword readers. I like Honda and I think that it is a quality car (so far, although every other car I have had has been good up to 25 K also). I don't pretend to have the inside scoop on what is foreign or domestic in this "globalized" world, although I am not naive enough to believe that Honda is "domestic" just because it is assembled in Ohio. Apparently, I also offended some people that make a living selling warranties and would like to use this forum as a sales seminar.
    My point was that you are already paying a premium when you buy a Honda, relative to a Hyundai, Chevy, Ford or (insert whatever other car here besides Toyota). As a consumer, you should demand that Honda give you the best warranty (for example, Hyundai's 5 year warranty) or the extended warranty WITH the negotiated purchase price. Otherwise, it is the equivalent of having your pocket "double-dipped". As long as you (the consumer) are willing to pay a premium for the car and then pay again for the extended warranty, Honda will always be glad to accept your money. Maybe I should get some stock in Honda, it looks like American consumers really like to spend.
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I disagree with your premise that one pays a premium for a Honda and consider their products the best value on the market.

Honda could make an extended warranty standard on its vehicles - and adjust prices accordingly. Instead, it is optional so consumers can decide if it is worthwhile.

I bought an Odyssey Touring R&N tonight. It is a tremendously complex vehicle. The parts price for a replacement navigation system is $4800. If ANY of this stuff breaks, it will cost alot to fix. Now, I don't know why the extended warranty for it is priced the same as for a base Odyssey but it does. And I will buy it and think it is a bargain.
    One other good thing..

Many people don't have the discipline to keep driving a car, once it has repair costs.. If by buying a warranty, you drive the car for five to seven years, rather than 3-4, you are way ahead..

No insurance company sells a product to lose money.. but, still... we insure ourselves against losses every day..

That said, I'm not recommending the extended warranty.. But, if you are going to get one, Hondacare is the only way to go...

regards,
    kyfdx

I agree, there are tons of people who roll over $5000 in negative equity into a new car, rather than paying $500 for new tires for their 2 year old ride. There is no logic.
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    "My point was that you are already paying a premium when you buy a Honda, relative to a Hyundai, Chevy, Ford or (insert whatever other car here besides Toyota)."

I can sort of see your point, john500, though I don't know if I agree with you on some assumptions. You seem to be saying that you pay a premium for the RELIABILITY of a Honda. What if I say I paid a premium for the FEATURES and HANDLING and STYLING and SAFETY of the Honda? I could have saved maybe $5K and bought a Hyndai or $3K and bought a T&C, but I didn't like some combination of their features/handling/style/safety. The reliability is just a freebie, and while statistics say that Honda is more reliable, given all the complex stuff on this new model, it would not surprise me if something breaks within seven years. In that case, I paid a good price for an extended warranty. So I in effect negotiated TWO very good deals ... a good price on an Ody and a great price on an extended warranty. And to top it off, it gives me peace of mind.