Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• Options
    garylcgarylc Member Posts: 5
    Hi Dennis,

Thanks for all the info, my wife & I are not very good shoppers. I generally wouldn't have even considered the extended warranty, but some friends of ours bought one and it saved them some big money. We plan on driving this a long time, our '97 Civic stopped at about 240,000.
    Here's my deal.....we did finance, including the plan....sigh....but we plan on tripling the amount of our payments (adding the extra to the principal), and paying it off in about a year and a half. Given what you said about the refund going to the bank, do you think it's still worth it to challenge them? I guess anything would help, but I'm not super confrontational!

Thanks for all your advice,

Gary
  • Options
    jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Given what you said about the refund going to the bank, do you think it's still worth it to challenge them? I guess anything would help, but I'm not super confrontational!

Well if you're paying off the loan soon anyway, just consider it an extra $1,500 payment that will help pay off the loan faster.

It's not a matter of confrontation. You have the legal right to cancel which is stated in the documents. I think you might be able to call Honda Care directly and not go to the dealership.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Definitely cancel it and purchase it from the other dealer. That's a nice chunk of change to just "give away"! Try the dealer first to see if they'll price match but if not...do what needs to be done.
    Not a person who likes controversy myself, but when I feel like I've been taken badly, I do fight back.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I agree 100% - it is your money and you should get it back (one way or the other). If you let me handle it for you, I will only keep half the savings :D . Just kidding.

As was said, no need to be nasty or confrontational about it - just tell them you want to cancel the plan and see what they say. Written right into the contract is the 60 days 100% refund policy so it is not like you are asking for some favor or something.

If you just purchased then RUN to the dealership to try to catch them before they send off the paperwork and the loan funds - if you catch them in time your payments would be less. If the paperwork has been sent in to HC, you may have to wait until they get it before you can cancel. If that is the case be sure to keep on top of that and "get 'er done" before the 60 days is up.

Dennis
  • Options
    I was just reading the "fine print" on the paperwork from HondaCare, and it states the 60 day cancellation policy (in NY, where I live, it's actually 30 days and then a 10% penalty).
    However....it also states that "If canceled, coverage cannot be reinstated".

So I'm going to ask them to refund the $635 difference, and if they won't I'll just cancel. Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to get the extended warranty again, but I'll take my chances, it's the point that they're trying to just pocket $600 for themselves!
  • Options
    Well, I just called HondaCare, and they said that the clause concerning reinstatement refers to after the 60 day grace period. I can cancel and join as many times as I want in the first 60 days, so I'm all set!
    Thank you guys for all your valuable insight, I never would have been aware of this.
  • Options
    dotbowelsdotbowels Member Posts: 43
    It's frustrating the way a majority of the dealers mark these warranties up. My dealer said normally 1200.00 but 900 today only the day you buy the car.

Well I had read here and on other forum boards, and bought for about 25% of their 1200 price and a third of the 900

AAA is $57 a year x 5 years =$285
    I didnt pay much for it and got the exra warranty along with roadside assistance

Greed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    "If canceled, coverage cannot be reinstated".

Dealers use that line in the contract (either out of ignorance or greed) to try to keep folks from cancelling their over-price HC plans. Taken out of context it would make you think that if you cancel their expensive plan then you can't buy a discount HC plan later. That is not true (as you found out when you called HC). It just means that if you cancel "this plan" then you can't re-instate "this plan" later.

So the only danger would be if your car was at the end of warranty and you overpaid, then you cancel and try to re-buy at a discount only to find that while you were doing this your warranty expired and you can't buy at a discount - nor can you get the old cancelled plan back.

Sort of the same thing if you waited until 6k miles on a new Honda, if you didn't re-buy before you hit 6k then your choices are limited and the prices go up.

Glad we could help, do something nice annd fun with that extra money when you get it :D .

Dennis
  • Options
    mike767mike767 Member Posts: 20
    I bought two warranties, one for a friend 07ex and one for my new 08civic ex
    on line at http://www.myhondawarranty.com/. The dealer is saucucci honda in Rhode Island. 8/120000 zero deductible was 890.00 By far the cheapest honda care one the web. My dealer tried to sell me a 7/10000 for 1300.
    Striaght forward purchase on line, sent me the paperwork right away and I verified it with my Honda service dept as it showed the 8/120000 warranty on my car on the honda database,
  • Options
    spinecho1spinecho1 Member Posts: 11
    Did 8/120000 show up in their checkout page? I am only getting 60 months/84K as their highest option. My car is 05 though...
  • Options
    Once your car has more than 6k miles on it your options are limited.

Dennis
  • Options
    Yes, as Dennis said the options change after 6,000 miles. After that, Honda considers it a pre-owned vehicle even if you are the original owner.

However the good news for you is that the 60 month/84K would begin on the date you buy the extended warranty. In other words you get an ADDITIONAL 60 month and 84K miles of coverage.

According to http://www.myhondawarranty.com/faq.php

"Coverage for a pre-owned plan(vehicles over 6,000 miles) begins on the service contract purchase date, and at the mileage on the odometer on that date."

So in theory if you bought near the end of your factory warranty you can still get close to the 8 year 120K of total coverage . (Factory warranty 3 yr/36K plus extended 5 yr 84K. )

Just make sure you buy before your factory warranty expires.
  • Options
    saraksarak Member Posts: 1
    HI All,

I just recently bought an '06 civic at 30k. i originally purchased the extended warranty from the dealership, however it was a GM warranty.

I know that i can cancel the warranty within 60 days and get my money.

Now i am doing the research to find the best deal out there. I even called the honda dealer by my house and he told me that if i was able to get a warranty by one of the dealers online from back east, to go for it now because they are the same thing...and they wont be able to offer them much longer.

right now it looks like Saccucci (sp??) is one of the better priced, but just wondering if any of you have had any experience with them...are they really legit?? The guy at the honda dealership out here said that as long as it was factory based warranty, i should be ok.... thoughts??

The reason i am so concerned is i did a ton of research on the Accord, and planned to get an '04 accord, but then after about 6 lots and 4 private sellers, i ended up getting a '06 civic .. and am realizing i did not get quite the deal i thought i was getting :( so much for the close to 40 hours research i did ... sigh...

Also, anyone have experience with Civic vs Accord depreciation??

Thanks so much for your time!
  • Options
    vabookwormvabookworm Member Posts: 7
    On the main edmunds.com website, you can do a comparison of vehicles and there's a section for total cost of ownership which factors in the 5-year depreciation. I compared the Civic to several other similar models, and bought it based on the comparisons. I bought an 08 and am very happy with it. The Accords were more than I wanted to spend and the gas mileage on the Civics is better. The Civic also handles better than my mom's Toyota Camry (2004?).
  • Options
    Folks here have purchased HondaCare from both Bernardi and Saccucci with good results - and lots of money saved. Both are franchised Honda dealers and sell the same HC any other Honda dealer sells - just for a lot less than most of them. I personally have purchased from Bernardi (3yrs ago Saccucci was not selling cheap via the Internet).

I would cancel the GM plan and buy a HC plan online. If the GM plan cost you a lot more (and you don't say) and has a 60 day cancel for full refund (like HC does), then I would get it cancelled.

The 06 was the first year of the redesign on the Civic as as such it should have a strong resale value (all Accords and Civics do). The only downside is that the first year cars will be more trouble prone than later model years. My daughter got an EX Civic sedan last year, but her car was produced in Aug of 06 so was at the end of the 06 production run.

NEW (before the 08 Accord redesign) you about buy an Accord for the same as a comparable Civic. Honda just had more incentives on them to move them out. So you got worse MPGs but better results and more room. As the Civic is getting farther from the 06 re-do and the Accord is all new for 08 the deals are better (NEW) on the Civic now.

Enjoy your new car, it is a Honda so you probably will be OK in any case :D

Dennis
  • Options
    nkvnkv Member Posts: 24
    I have tried to get a cheaper Honda care Warranty through web but living in Florida I can't do it. I am wondering if any Fl resident has been able to get a great price for their warranty and from where and how! Any details of their transactions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    You have to order in your name, but use an address not in FL. That would pose a problem for most folks unless they have a summer home elsewhere.

Dennis
  • Options
    donalduckdonalduck Member Posts: 16
    Is Honda Care waranty really required? I bought an 07 Odyssey in san diego yesterday but I didn't buy the warranty from the dealer. Can I buy it anywhere for a cheaper price? The charge is $2000 for 8/120000. Any feedbacks helpful. Thanks.
  • Options
    I bought an 07 Odyssey in san diego yesterday but I didn't buy the warranty from the dealer. Can I buy it anywhere for a cheaper price?

Sure just go to myhondawarranty.com or hondawarrantyinfo.com and you should get a price that is much less than $2,000.
  • Options
    spinecho1spinecho1 Member Posts: 11
    You can get it much cheaper online, just search for Honda Care. You may want to make sure that you are getting the Honda Care cause there are third party warranties out there too. Do you really need it? I guess it depends on whether the car breaks right after manufacturer warranty expires. Your car is considered "new" until 6000 miles so you should be getting good rates definitely less than 1K online.
  • Options
    Required or not is your choice - if your AC compressor goes out or the NAV or DVD system (if equipped) or the power sliding door, etc that one repair will likely exceed the cost of the HC when purchased at a discount. The odds are in HONDA'S favor, however. If they spent more per vehicle than they charged then they would raise the rates - so the odds are you will not have a repair that exceeds the cost. To a lot of folks this type of risk is not acceptable, THEY do not want to be the ones that has to spend $1,200-$1,500 or whatever for repairs. It also can be transferred to a new owner if you sell the car yourself for a $50 fee - and is pro-rated refundable.

So you choose, but be sure to get genuine HondaCare and get it from a discount dealer. - if you decide you want or need it.

As long as you don't live in FL, it looks like $1,230 to cover your Oddy for 8 years or 120k miles with $0 deductible. I bet the $2k plan the dealer offered you was for a shorter term or less miles or had a deductible - and cost $730 more.

Dennis
  • Options
    Have any of you purchased honda care through Cambridge Honda, buyhondacarewarranty.com which is located in MA. Are they good? It is a Honda Dealer and they claim on the website that genuine honda care. I guess it is a real one but not third party warranty right? Feedback pls.
  • Options
    It should be OK, but they charge $1,305 for the coverage you can buy elsewhere for $1,230 (not to mention Saccucci and maybe Bernardi also give you $25 spend in their online accessory shop). I don't know why you would want to overpay by $75, but go for it.

Actually, I DO suspect you want to overpay to get that "guaranteed money back" deal? That is another $199 extra bringing your over payment to $274 or $299 if you count the $25 in accessory money. You have to NOT use the HC plan at all - no service, no roadside, no rental/loaner car, nothing for the entire term to get your money back AND you have to keep the car until it hits the mileage or month limit you buy. If the car is stolen, totalled, sold, or traded before then you only get back a pro-rated refund on the HC plan (they keep the $199 fee). Buying elsewhere and saving the $274 you would still get a pro-rated refund if you had to cancel, but would get nothing if you had never used it at end of term. I don't understand overpaying for a policy that you don't intend to use. Even if you never have a problem and do keep the car until the end, they still keep your $199. If you have a problem along the way how do you decide if you let them pay or you pay? If you decide to pay to get all your money back, then you have to deduct that amount from your refund. If later you have another problem, do you pay again or let them pay? Either way you are out the first payment you made.

Too much of a up-charge on this deal to make it something that I would think about, but it is up to you. I think THEY know few people for whatever reason will really keep the same car for that long. Now if you were just buying a very short term policy, you might still have it at the end - but then you still overpay for the HC and you pay and they keep the $199.

Dennis
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You might need it on an individual vehicle, but I bet over your lifetime if you buy 15 vehicles and buy the extended warranty on all 15, you would have spent around $15K on Hondacare assuming you got them for around $1000 each. You can bet you will not get that $15K back in covered repairs. If you are, then you are getting alot of lemons and Honda is having some serious reliability problems.
    You might get a car that the A/C compressor fails at 50K miles and you will wish you had bought the extended warranty, but quickly forget that you are still ahead in the long run because of all the thousands of dollars you are saving on Hondacare premiums over the past and future years.
    Hondacare knows how much they spend on claims and are making a nice profit even at their wholesale price they charge to the dealers before it gets marked up to you. They know how likely a nav system that wasn't already defective from the factory is to fail during the Hondacare coverage window and the same for an Odyssey sliding door and have that all priced into the cost.

If you buy them, you will get some use to them, but it will be way less than you have spent on the premiums over all you past and future cars. Isolating a specific experience where Hondacare paid out more than the premium cost on that car and using that justify perpetually buying extended warranties does not look at the big picture.

You can expect the most serious problems past 100,000 or 120,000 miles and that is where you can't get or use an extended warranty anymore.
  • Options
    Thanks. Others charge some fee of $168 so that the overall price exceeds what I got from 1305. I did not purchase money back guarantee.
  • Options
    Primarily, it is for the peace of mind. In addition, there is a concern of power sliding door that one of my relatives had in the past and the charge to fix/replace the motor is expensive. Further, there are lots of electronic components and computer sensors all over the vehicle. Replacing them will be expensive if I do not have any kind of warranty. Therefore, I decided to buy it. Originally the dealer wants 2000 dollars, I think 1300 is acceptable.
  • Options
    What good is paying $3,000 in 15 years (a new car with $1000 Hondacare every 5 years) on extended warranties if you only get $1200 of covered repairs paid for in 15 years even if 90% of it is on one of the cars that has is has several expensive problems?

Why not just bank the money you would have spent on the Hondacare and save it towards future repairs on this car and the next 3 cars you will buy in the future instead?
    If you are going to net a profit on payouts to you vs premiums to them on these contracts over decades of buying and repurchasing them, they would go bankrupt. Yes, they know about electronic components and computer sensors and the cost to replace them also and they are are not in the business to lose money paying more than they take in on premiums.

It kind of makes more sense in a way to buy the extended warranty on cars that have poor reliability histories. What is the point of bothering to buy a reliable make and model like a Honda Accord if you are going to get the extended warranty anyway? You might as well just get a VW or something else like that for looks and style instead and justify the risk with the extended warranty.
  • Options
    What good is paying $3,000 in 15 years (a new car with $1000 HondaCare every 5 years) on extended warranties if you only get $1200 of covered repairs paid for in 15 years even if 90% of it is on one of the cars that has is has several expensive problems?

If someone where going to trade cars every 5 years then I would say you are correct - no big need to buy HC unless you are planning on driving a ton of miles in the those 5 years. Even then, all those "highway miles" would probably mean you are a lot less likely to have a claim.

But I don't think they said they were planning on get rid of the new Oddy in 5 years, they may still have it 8 years and 120k miles from now. If so, they will have a lot more chance of having a claim.

I figure the forum is here to help answer the questions of "What is and is not covered?", "What is a good price?", and "Should I buy one?". The first two have definite answers, the last question is really up to the vehicle owner - we can offer our opinions and anecdotal information but the choice is always up to the one that has to spend the money (either way).

You have made YOUR case why YOU would not buy HC, so let it go. If someone decides they want the coverage then we help them understand what they are getting and help them get a good price and not berate them for their choice.

Dennis
  • Options
    The person had asked earlier "Is Honda Care warranty really required?"
    I also don't think most people will have "zero" claims. They will have some claims but the grand total of claims will be less in the long run even if it is not one a particular single vehicle. It is not berating.

I have purchased extended warranties and made claims, then I looked back and total of the premiums and the value of the repairs (not just what the dealer writes on the invoice claiming what it would have cost without the extended warranty) and saw that I would have spent less if I had just paid for those all those repairs myself either at the dealer or a lower cost private or chain repair center and not have paid for several extended warranties.
    For instance, the dealer wrote on the warranty repair invoice that replacing a thermostat was valued at $330, then, out of curiosity, I called and got an estimate elsewhere and it I could have got the same thing done for about 1/3 of that cost at Firestone or Pep Boys and also much less even at another dealership. After that, I never trusted their inflated figures. They can say every repair they make is worth 3 times the real cost as a way of marketing the value of Hondacare. People will look at the numbers provided by the service advisor and then use that as a reason to buy another contract on the next car believing that it is an "investment" they think save them money. If a thermostat replacement is worth $330, then you will pay for the cost of an extended warranty pretty fast at that rate. I'm sure that was not the amount actually submitted and paid by the warranty company.

If they want to buy Hondacare knowing that extended warranties will cost them more over time than paying out of pocket and they still buy it anyway because they are scared to risk having to pay for future repairs by check or credit card, that's fine as long as they understand this.

I never actually say "don't buy it." But don't buy them with the impression that there are investments that will save you money over your lifetime.
  • Options
    ellenocellenoc Member Posts: 25
    I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase Honda Care for a new Fit. Is there anyone who can tell me if they've used the Roadside Assistance and if it is comparable to AAA? The only reason I have AAA is for roadside assistance and the twice I've had to use it they've shown up in less than half an hour and provided excellent service. So if the Honda Care is just as good for this service, I could not renew the AAA for the next 7 years and that would cover a good part of the cost of the 8-year 120,000-mile extended Honda Care (which would be my choice since I drive cars until they fall apart and then donate them to charity).

Further, has anyone used Honda Care for something major on an older, high mileage vehicle? It seems to me if the transmission, for instance, goes out on a vehicle that is within the time period but has say 115,000 miles on it, Honda could say, at that mileage it's normal wear and tear and refuse the claim or prorate it.

I'd appreciate hearing about any experiences anyone has had that would shed light on how Honda actually handles these situations.
  • Options
    Is there anyone who can tell me if they've used the Roadside Assistance and if it is comparable to AAA?

It's been many years since I had triple A, so I can't really compare. But I did use the Honda Care road side service a couple of months ago to change a flat. It was a very simple process, I called the 800 number, they asked me some very basic questions and called the tire changing place. I got an automated call back a few minutes later saying when they'd be there and what company was coming. They showed up and the guy changed the tire. I got another automated call on my cell phone to confirm they had arrived. I felt the process worked smoothly and I didn't have any complaints.
  • Options
    highway312highway312 Member Posts: 3
    Both of my struts are leaking in the front. Dealership said my Honda Care warranty would cover the strut replacement but not the alignment. This sounds strange to me. Can anyone verify this?
  • Options
    That sounds logical to me since an alignment is not a covered repair, and as long as the dealer charges a reasonable fee for the alignment then that should be OK.

That said, you could argue that you would not need an alignment if they did not have to replace the faulty struts - so in this case a non-covered repair (the alignment) should be covered because it is needed to due to a covered repair (the struts). Of course, I would bet that 95% of the cars on the road could use SOME alignment adjustment right now - so your Ody may already be needing an adjustment.

Have you paid for an alignment lately? Using the receipt you could argue that you "just had it aligned" and would not need to pay for the alignment if the struts were not bad.

If the dealer is unreasonable in the alignment charge and can't be swayed by your arguments, you could tell the dealer no on the alignment and just pay your favorite local tire place (or even Wally World) to align your car. If you are going to keep the van a while longer and/or need new tires soon, you may want to pay a few bucks extra for a "lifetime" alignment so you can get it re-done for free later on.

Also check YOUR HC contract to see if under "what is not covered" it says:

"fuels, fluids, lubricants, alignments or adjustments unless required as part of a covered MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN" .

If so, then I would point that language out to the dealer since (as I mentioned) needing an alignment because of bad struts should then be covered. That is like if your motor blew up, they would give you a replacement (if not your fault) and they should NOT charge you for the oil and antifreeze that had to be replaced because the motor blew.

Dennis
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Unless, Honda Care does not pay for alignment when replacing struts. I've run into a few service contract companies that feel an oil/filter change is not necessary when doing an intake job.
  • Options
    When I met my wife she had a Chevy with a GMPP on it. A rocker arm broke and was replaced free of charge under the plan, but they tried to charge her for "cleaning the metal shards from the engine". I called them up and basically said "you are nuts, if the arm had not broken there would be no need to clean anything up". In the end the whole repair was free, but I guess they were hoping she would not know any better and pay up.

If the HC contract in question has language in it like I posted then it would appear you wold get a free alignment otherwise you would have to pay for it yourself.

Dennis
  • Options
    mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    I hope the dealer that pulled that nonsense gets caught-for GMPP, we are to take what GMPP pays + deductible, and that's it. They're going against their dealer agreement.
  • Options
    mountainwizardmountainwizard Member Posts: 2
    I found a really good deal on a extended warranty today from
    Hyannis Honda. The best deal that I could find. I also talked with Bob Leab and this can be done over the phone.

http://www.hondacareextendedwarranty.com/?gclid=CMaVtvP7oJACFQZegQodRwELrg
  • Options
    While we would naturally be a bit suspicious of someone who registers today and makes their first post as a "deal" (could this just be a free ad for Bob?) - the price is good. I usually spot check the I4 Accord new car rate for the max term (8yrs/120k/$0) and this site shows $893.00 with the extra 5% off VS $940 or so from Saccucci or Bernardi.

Dennis
  • Options
    I usually spot check the I4 Accord new car rate for the max term (8yrs/120k/$0) and this site shows $893.00 with the extra 5% off VS $940 or so from Saccucci or Bernardi.

Without the extra 5% discount (which expires on Dec 25th), this site looks like it matches the Bernardi prices for a new Civic, dollar for dollar.
  • Options
    highway312highway312 Member Posts: 3
    I did have a recent alignment so I called Honda Care and they agreed that if my car needed another alignment because of the struts, they would pay for it. Lesson learned - Contact Honda Care directly if you do not agree with the dealer. Never hurts to try.
  • Options
    raghubabudraghubabud Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I bought 2007 Honda Accord.I am looking for Extended Warranty.Could you guide me which one is the best.

Regards
    Babu
  • Options
    I usually get a Honda Care Warranty so I can use it at any Honda dealer and I don't have to go to a third party service to arrange payment. The lowest prices that I know of to buy these warranties are from two Honda dealers who sell them online.

Go to myhondawarranty.com or bernardiwarranty.com. They usually have them for the same prices.
  • Options
    blackblack Member Posts: 9
    I've got the 2006 Ody with 25K on it and planning to buy the Honda Care.
    Has anyone bought Honda Care for older vehicles like this?

How does it work?
    Suppose I buy a 5yr/84K, does the 5 yr and 84k starts now?
  • Options
    I've got the 2006 Ody with 25K on it and planning to buy the Honda Care.

Suppose I buy a 5yr/84K, does the 5 yr and 84k starts now?

Yes, you'll get a full 5 years and a full 84,000 additional miles from now. See the section of FAQ at Saccucci Honda:

"Coverage for a pre-owned plan(vehicles over 6,000 miles) begins on the service contract purchase date, and at the mileage on the odometer on that date."

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/faq.php
  • Options
    zswxzswx Member Posts: 55
    I bought a 08 CR-V EX 2WD recently. My plan is to keep it for 3-5 years and sell it to private party. Which of the following reasons for buying HC are valid and which are most important? (suppose I buy the 7y/80k plan at $600)

1. save membership fees for AAA for 7 years
    45*7=315 (associate Gold membership with AAA)

2. significantly increase resale value after 3-5 years.

I heard individuals can't buy HC after factory warranty expires.

3. covered problems will be fixed without charge.
  • Options
    I am not sure the roadside assistance (via Cross Country Motor Club, IIRC) is a full replacement for AAA but if all you care about is being able to call someone should you need them, then that might be OK.

To me the resale value thing is a legitimate plus IF you keep the car long enough - for a $50 transfer fee the new owner can get the extended warranty. HC has to be purchased before the base warranty expires, so if so you do sell your car until after that time your HC covered call should be easier to sell and be worth more than other CR-Vs of the same year - with the exception of CPO ones from the dealer. So if you buy an 8yr, 120k mile plan you can advertise yours as "Honda extended warranty until 2015 or 120,000 miles" while all the other sellers say "no warranty". The problem is you said 3-5 years and if sell it at or before 3 then the new owner could just buy the HC for themselves. After that the others on the market will still have powertrain warranties out to 5yrs/60k miles. So past 3 years the HC would add some value but should add more after 5 years when the "competition" has no warranty at all.

If you sell before 3 years then you got no benefit from the HC at all - except the roadside assistance and perhaps a boost in your selling value. If you sell at or before 5/60k the odds are slim (but higher) that you will need the HC for repairs. If you kept the car for 8/120k the odds would increase that you will need the plan - you may never, but the odds do go up.

You can also cash out the HC plan at any time (should you decide to trade the CR-V rather than sell it) for a pro-rated refund of what you paid.

Dennis
  • Options
    This is very helpful! Thanks!

I just found out that HC also covers routine oil change except in NY. I think it's worth about additional $100 per year.

Now I have another question. Who knows more about the price increase for HC after January 3? I called HC but the lady was not aware of it.
  • Options
    I just found out that HC also covers routine oil change except in NY. I think it's worth about additional $100 per year.

I'm not familiar with an oil change prevision. Some dealer selling HC might be adding that themselves.

But I don't see any mention of it on the Saccucci Honda site:

http://www.myhondawarranty.com/benefits.php

If you're planning on transferring the warranty to a private party at the end of the 3 to 5 years, you might look at paying a little more for 100K or 120K. If the person you sell to drives a lot, that may be a big selling point to them.
  • Options
    There is a HC plan (or plan extension) that covers routine maintenance, but the deals you see cheap online DO NOT include this service. You may can buy this, but it will cost you something more that the stated prices.

If you change your oil when the maintenance "minder" tells you to the oil changes will not be that much anyway. A couple of my local dealers have online coupons all the time and one normally will do the change (w/genuine Honda filter) and wash the car for $25 or so a pop. Some dealers give you a bonus coupon book if you buy the car from them and these can include $9.99 oil changes or $20 oil changes, etc. Others will do cheap changes as long as you buy from them with no coupon, as long as you leave the dealership's "badge" on the trunk lid.

If you change your oil every 3mo/3k then it will cost you a lot more - and any pre-paid service plan will not cover it anyway - they will do it only when the car says it needs it.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thx for the advice!

I saw oil change terms on the same website:
    http://www.myhondawarranty.com/Honda_Care_Warranty_Sample.pdf

I'm not sure whether I need to buy this option seperately as nobody else mentioned the free oil change before.