Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Are any of the warranties by Saccucci fully refundable if you don't need to use it during the warranty period?

No, you pay a higher price through your dealer for the added option of being fully refundable. For example a Pilot warranty from Saccucci will run you about $1,160 for a 7 year/120K as opposed to the $2,100 fully refundable one.

Read the fine print on the fully refundable warranties carefully. I've seen ones that said that you can only get the full refund after the 7 year period expires. So if you decide to sell after 5 years, you can't get the full refund.

Standard Honda Care warranties such as the one sold by Saccucci offer a prorated refund based on the time/mileage. For example, I had a 7 year warranty and sold the car after 5 years, so I got a pro-rated refund straight from Honda. And I didn't pay an extra $1,000 for that option.
  • artproartpro Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a new Honda Insight, with an extended warranty at a cost of $1642 (employee price, they said) 7yr/100,000mi beyond the 36 months. Should I keep the warranty or cancel?

Online warranty purchases is being disallowed by Honda at the moment.

The XM radio has to be installed, they asked $391 for the purchase and installation. Should I move forward with it or cancel. (this xm radio does not support traffic reports.)
    I just purchased a new Honda Insight, with an extended warranty at a cost of $1642 (employee price, they said) 7yr/100,000mi beyond the 36 months. Should I keep the warranty or cancel?

Online warranty purchases is being disallowed by Honda at the moment.

Online warranty purchases are NOT being disallowed by Honda at the moment. Go to myhondawarranty.com and you'll find the same warranty to be around $975.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    so far I know there are 2 states CA and FL are not sold by online. I wonder whether it works if they call in instead of online or completely not honor any warranty bought from anywhere outside its state.
    so far I know there are 2 states CA and FL are not sold by online. I wonder whether it works if they call in instead of online or completely not honor any warranty bought from anywhere outside its state.

The warranties are honored at all Honda dealerships no matter which state it was purchased in.

Florida has a law that the warranties can only be sold to Florida residents by Florida dealers. That's why none of the online dealers sell to Florida residents.

In California, the law is less clear. Some of the online dealers stopped selling to California. Last time I checked, however, curryhondacare.com did not mention of a restriction to selling to California residents.
  • lindylou65lindylou65 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for a stupid question, but we are in the process of purchasing an '09 Odyssey in Texas. Of course, the dealer is trying to sell us the Honda Care warranty and is asking for $2100 for 7 years, 100K miles. Is it really worth the extra cost for the warranty? And are there any additional questions we should ask? Thanks for your help!
    No such thing as a stupid question! In fact it's an excellent one. We just bought the 2010 Insight and purchased the extended warranty $1650 for 10years or/100,000 miles whichever came first.

Having been a Honda owner since 1979 and never had a problem with any of our cars (including the Acura & the 2000 Insight and our 1984 CRX), I was hesitant. However, the new cars are laden with technology, so we decided it would be wise to have it. After researching, we were satisfied that our dealer's price & terms were within reason. I would negotiate with your dealer. Sounds pricey and the terms are shaky. Maybe go to another dealer and tell your dealer that's what you have to do to shop appropriately. If you are a COSTCO shopper, be sure to go to a dealer that reps them.
    Sorry for a stupid question, but we are in the process of purchasing an '09 Odyssey in Texas. Of course, the dealer is trying to sell us the Honda Care warranty and is asking for $2100 for 7 years, 100K miles. Is it really worth the extra cost for the warranty?

You can buy the same Honda Care warranty online from a Rhode Island Honda dealer and save a lot of money. Just go to myhondawarranty.com.

It looks like they are selling the 7 year 100K for the Odyssey for $1,055. It's the real Honda Care and you'll get the paperwork from the corporate office in California, the same as you would if you bought it in Texas.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Honda Care Extended Warranty can be bought online a lot cheaper than local dealers.

Google search :"Honda Care Extended Warranty"... they are the same why pay more?
  • fordfoolfordfool Member Posts: 240
    Tell the salesperson that you want the Honda Care extended warranty... at the lowest Internet price that you could find. If they refuse to match the best Internet price, inform them that you will be purchasing the Odyssey somewhere else as well. That should get a reaction as well as the desired result. :)
  • pb95pb95 Member Posts: 2
    Is there any advantage to buying extended warranty when you get a new car?
    Could you buy just before the standard warranty expires?
    Thanks.
    Why not ask a dealer? As far as I know, it will cost more if you wait. We paid $1640 for our new insight extended warranty for 10yr or 100,000 miles. We trust Honda, but now there is so much technology, it's a small price to pay for any tech problems that could arise later. It's insurance.
    Is there any advantage to buying extended warranty when you get a new car?
    Could you buy just before the standard warranty expires?

You can get the same price until the car hits 6,000 miles. After 6,000 miles the whole pricing structure changes. As the car approaches the end of the standard warranty, the options offered become less and less.

You can go to myhondawarranty.com, type in several different mileages, and see the different terms for your vehicle.

Another advantage of getting the extended care early on is you receive free roadside assistance from the beginning.
  • gmeepergmeeper Member Posts: 1
    Saccucci Honda (www.myhondawarranty.com) & Bernardi Honda (www.bernardiwarranty.com) have the best extended warranty prices going right now...at least for our 2009 Odyssey with only 300 miles. The below is for the $0 deductible plans.

5yrs/ 60k (D56) - $435.00
    5yrs/ 80k (D58) - $600.00
    5yrs/ 100k (D50) - $715.00
    6yrs/ 80k (D68) - $660.00
    6yrs/ 100k (D60) - $860.00
    6yrs/ 120k (D62) - $965.00
    7yrs/ 80k (D78) - $750.00
    7yrs/ 100k (D70) - $1,055.00
    7yrs/ 120k (D72) - $1,160.00
    8yrs/ 100k (D80) - $1,135.00
    8yrs/ 120k (D82) - $1,235.00

Compare that to what our dealer offered us:
    7yrs/ 100k (D70) - $1780 ($725 more)
    8yrs/120k (D82) - $1905 ($670 more)
  • franklwfranklw Member Posts: 46
    True, curryhonda did not mention restriction to CA residents. You also might want to check out Jayhondacare.com ( Jay Honda) as it gives me much better deal than Curry, it only mentioned FL resident as ineligible. I tried to contact Jay but could not reach anyone.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    (in terms of EW pricing for cost conscious buyers) ..........

Altho i bought my Honda Care EW online from Ray Laks Honda in upstate NY (580 for 6 year/80,000)...............i wish i'd purchased from the gutsy family dealership in Rhode Island...........Saccucci (spelling today; may be different tomorrow).

Anyone have any information about the pending legal action?

all the best from a west coast dude driving a manual shift Accord V-6 coupe that is both fast as hell AND extremely fuel efficient (calc'd over 40 a coupe of times in the flat Arizona desert at 2150 RPM on 87 octane).
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I've had several extended warranties on unreliable vehicles. 88 chev astro, 02 chrys. concorde, 03 jeep liberty. These aren't hondas with spectacular reliability across the line. I used a couple of times on the astro --never came close to breaking even. 75k miles on the concorde - zero use-- jeep still in effect-zero use.
    Fact is if it doesn't break in the original warranty, the odds are way way in honda's favor. Has anyone actually used the ext warranty? The new hondas are more bullet proof than the older ones. Save your money. I'm through with extended warranties. Plus they have exclusions not in the original warranty.
    These aren't hondas with spectacular reliability across the line. IHas anyone actually used the ext warranty? The new hondas are more bullet proof than the older ones.

I wish that were the case. Please see some of the repair threads on the Hondas on this forum and many long term Honda owners aren't saying what you are about the newer ones being more bullet proof. I have used Honda Care before and it works great. When you buy online currently, you get a low price. Plus when I get 8 years of free roadside assistance, that covers a big part of the cost.
  • honda2009honda2009 Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know if a dealer will match the Saccucci or Bernardi extended warranty prices?
  • gardinerrgardinerr Member Posts: 39
    Why go through the hastle? Just buy from Saccucci or Bernardi.

Also the following states charge sales tax on the price of the warranty. We do not.

Arkansas
    Connecticut
    Florida
    Hawaii
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Louisiana
    Nebraska
    New Jersey
    New York
    Ohio
    Pennsylvania
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Utah
    Virginia
    Washington, D.C.
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin

What is actually keeping you from purchasing Honda Care online? I am curious.
    We visit the northeast from time to time and would follow your advice. Take a driving vacation. Turn in my murano at lease end and buy a new honda. That would be the plan -if I bought a honda [possible] and if I wanted an extended warranty[unlikely.] I believe people are afraid of all the "legal" stuff posted on line. Considering all the emotional aspects of car buying -- no surprise.
  • sillylungsillylung Member Posts: 1
    I got mine on my new accord coupe for 998.00 he showed me book price it was like half off I was like sure. He said it was the end of the month and wanted to get more sales. It was for unlimited warranty coverage like you get in your first year of a new honda but for 8 years. This was at Klein Honda in Washington state.
  • mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    I think buying the EW online actually removes a bit of the "emotional" component of the car purchase. I offered to buy the EW from my dealer here in VA, but he wouldn't match the Saccucci Honda price (his actual response was "I thought they (Honda) had stopped them (Saccucci Honda) from selling online" - something smells). Another person made a common sense comment earlier, something to the effect "just make them sell the EW to you for cost if they want to sell you a car at all." I guess I wasn't ready to pull the trigger on the EW when I bought my Odyssey, but I hadn't thought of doing that anyway (and no dealer near me would come close to the deal I got anyway).

I ended up purchasing an EW from Saccucci Honda and it was a snap. They answered my questions online and over the phone, and Honda sent me the paperwork - no glitch, no problem, no back room pressure or inflated price.

Thanks Saccucci Honda, for the EW and for putting up the fight. A good American story for this Independence Day season.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    Just curious which VA dealer said that about Saccucci (or if you'd rather not give a name, you can give me a county)? I may be in the market soon and wonder if it was our local dealer so I am forewarned...

thanks.
  • mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    West Broad Honda in Henrico Co. (Richmond) - they didn't say it about Saccucci, just about buying online (though I may have then brought up the lawsuit). Hendrick Honda in DC area beat their price on my '08 Odyssey, but only by a hundred or so bucks - wasn't worth the drive for me.
  • carpiedcarpied Member Posts: 6
    I printed out the prices from Saccucci and one other online seller (they were the same) before we were to sit down and "speak" with the business mgr when we picked up the car ('09 Civic Hybrid) I had the prices to use in "negotiations." He tried to sell me a 60/60000 EW for $1656, telling me that I would get my money back (minus $50) if I never had to use it. I told him that, despite Honda's excellent reputation, I expected to have some sort of post-original warranty work needed during my expected ownership. I told him that I was willing to pay the price I had from the 2 online dealers if they would sell it to me locally. There was very little discussion and he honored the price: $860 for a 72/12000 HondaCare EW. I'm happy, they're happy. Done deal. It just goes to show that most (if not all) dealers probably pay the same to American Honda for the warranties in the first place.
    If the online sellers make money at those prices then your local dealer is making money on a match. Congrats to you and your dealer.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...is it really true that you get your money back (minus $50) if the HC EW remains unused for the life of the warranty (In my case 80k; cost was $584 - - - which will buy a LOT of Crown Royal..................

thanks, ez.....
  • carpiedcarpied Member Posts: 6
    Hold on a minute...

the EW the dealer originally offered ME was HC, but underwritten by a THIRD PARTY who would pay back the premium ONLY if it wasn't used. NOT the HondaAmerica-backed HC EW. Sorry if it confused you.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Some dealers will sell a rider to your HC service contract that pays you back if you never make a claim against it. This is separate from the HC contract and you pay extra for it. It's a good scheme. They get your money for 5 (or 6 or 7) years-you might forget to collect when the time comes-if you trade in before that, you can submit for a prorated amount. Sneaky.
    Mitzij is correct. Remember these companies make money when you don't collect your refund. They often make you jump through hoops to collect your refund. It also adds about 20-40% to the price of the warranty. We currently do not offer it on our website for those reasons.
  • dpearman2007dpearman2007 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! I will be purchasing my first "almost new car" from a dealership in about a month, I'm hoping it will be an '06 Civic. Anyway, one of the things I've been attempting to research is an EW. Quick question, I've seen a bunch of quotes on here:

5yrs/ 60k (D56) - $435.00
    5yrs/ 80k (D58) - $600.00
    5yrs/ 100k (D50) - $715.00
    6yrs/ 80k (D68) - $660.00
    6yrs/ 100k (D60) - $860.00
    6yrs/ 120k (D62) - $965.00
    7yrs/ 80k (D78) - $750.00
    for example, I was just wondering when do these actually kick in? I'm looking at an '06 with 83000 miles, and I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to get an EW. Thanks again, ;)

Devin
    I was just wondering when do these actually kick in?

The quotes you see can be purchased for cars that have not reached 6,000 miles yet. They have another set of quotes for cars that have not gone over 36,000 miles. If the car you're looking at has 83,000 miles, you're probably not going to be able to buy a standard Honda Care for that. The only option is if you buy it from a private owner who did purchase a Honda Care on the car already. He can transfer the remaining amount of time on the Honda Care to you by paying a $50 transfer fee.
  • jungle_catjungle_cat Member Posts: 18
    I bought a 2010 Pilot Touring w/NAV and RES and I bought an extended warranty. And I made a mistake. The one I bought was lousy. I am looking uper the paperwork tomorrow to see what type of warranty I purchased but I will cancel it and get the 7 year/120k mile Honda Care Warranty for the same price I paid for the 5 year/50,000 mile warranty. I just want to thank everyone; this site is so informative and I really appreciate everyone's contribution.

JC
  • jikjik Member Posts: 144
    So will it be better to wait getting EW around 6000 miles. Its effective from date purchased and cost the same for 0 miles or 6000 miles ?
    No, it is cost effective to get a warranty before 6,000 miles. It is the only time 8/120k warranties can be purchased. -Gardiner
  • mohanpmohanp Member Posts: 26
    I bought a plan D82 from JayhondaCare It was supposed to be an extended warrany. When I received the booklet form HONDA FINANCE it says this is not an extended warranty but an Vehicle Service Contract. Although it says 120k/8yrs it dosent seem like a bumper to bumper with the exclusions.

Can anybody confrim this ?
    I bought a plan D82 from JayhondaCare It was supposed to be an extended warrany. When I received the booklet form HONDA FINANCE it says this is not an extended warranty but an Vehicle Service Contract. Although it says 120k/8yrs it dosent seem like a bumper to bumper with the exclusions.

Honda Care agreements are called Vehicle Service Contracts. Even though even this thread is called "extended warranties", technically they are not. They are separate agreements with their own inclusions and exclusions. Fortunately, you're free to review the materials and cancel for a full refund if you don't like what is covered.
  • christhuychristhuy Member Posts: 3
    I would love the buy the warranty through Saccucci but I live in California. I showed the dealer the Saccucci & Bernardi price ($750 for 7 yrs, 80,000) and they said the absolute lowest they could go is $1,100. They charged me $1,500 so I'm asking for the $400 difference. Is this true, they can't go any lower than $1,100? Thanks.
    That is absolutely not true. They can charge any price they want. At $1,100 they are making a $350 profit, not too shabby for printing a piece of paper.
  • odysseydadodysseydad Member Posts: 3
    I live in CA and purchased online at a lower price. I used a relatives address in CT and it worked fine. My family just forwarded me the packet. The contract is good nationwide! Being a little creative saved me $400. If Honda winds up stopping online sales this will be my last Honda.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    You mean lying and committing fraud saved you money.
  • mohanpmohanp Member Posts: 26
    What was in the Packet form Honda.. I just received a measly Paper Contract
  • kjccrskjccrs Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a new 09 Odyssey last night. The finance guy wanted to sell me the extended warranty plan from a third party called fidelity, or the honda care one. I want the honda care warranty instead but the charge for 7 years 120k coverage was $2300! They were not willing to negotiate and stated that its a fixed price in FL. Where else can I purchase the official Honda Extended warranty and I understand I have the first year to do so?
    Where else can I purchase the official Honda Extended warranty and I understand I have the first year to do so?

You don't have the first year to do so. You have the first 6,000 miles of the vehicle to get "new car" prices on the Honda Care. Then you have until the rest of the standard warranty term (3 year/36,000 miles) to get "used car" prices on Honda Care. Once you get into the used car prices, the options for mileage and time decreases and the prices may increase as your vehicle gets more mileage.

Florida law only permits Florida dealers to sell Honda Care. You can buy from any Honda dealer in Florida. So you'd have to check around to see who is willing to give you the best price. Because they have a "monopoly" they're probably not going to get as low as the online dealers in other states. However, you should be able to do better than the $2,300 quote.
    Thanks for the response. I have started calling around and all are the same price. They tell me that they are not allowed to deviate from the price as it is the set price filed with the FL Dept of Insurance. Any one out there can tell me a good place to get an extended warranty in FL?

At this point, whille I prefer Honda Care, I am willing to go to a third party that is reputable and will to pay claims. Any suggestions? I think the right price for a 8yr, 120k is around $1500, well at least that is what I'm willing to pay
    I have started calling around and all are the same price. They tell me that they are not allowed to deviate from the price as it is the set price filed with the FL Dept of Insurance.

Wow. The State of Florida is doing no favors for their residents, by mandating that all Honda Care's must be sold at such an inflated price.
    Yep, hit the nail on the head. In the interest of protecting those too lazy to do their own research before buying an extended warranty, the law penalizes all. Any body know of any reputable third party providers with decent rates in FL?
  • cheerfulchickcheerfulchick Member Posts: 11
    Thanks all - I just purchased a 6 year 120K hondacare extended policy for 1240 from my dealer. I showed them the price sheet from honda curry that I'd printed out. First the finance guy claimed that it was probably not really a hondacare policy, so I showed him the "example Honda Care policy" from the site that I'd also printed out. He also saw that Honda Curry is a dealer - but in another state. He suggested that maybe it wouldn't be good coming from another state (which was an outright lie, as the policy is a national policy) but backed down when I told him I knew it was covered.

He said he couldn't match it. So we signed a sales contract without it. Then as I was getting in my new car to leave, he approached me and said that maybe he'd been looking at the wrong numbers. He looked at the "right" numbers and agreed to match Honda Curry's #, so I bought the policy from him. I used the same tactic with LoJack (I'd called around and found out what the going rate was but didn't have a written offer). Same thing happened with the LoJack. When he came back to me on the warranty, he also dropped his LoJack price quite substantially.

Good luck to all & thanks for the tips on this board!
  • brucelee24brucelee24 Member Posts: 4
    I am in CA and bought the 96 months/100kmile extended warranty from the dealer for $980 after telling him about the online prices. It is $20 more than the online price. But I figure it is easier to cancel it and get a refund at the dealership if I don't like the exclusions.