Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• fm1381fm1381 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the helpful information. What kind of sucks about the EW for CPO Honda vehicles is that the EW must be purchased at the time of the vehicle sale. If you try to purchase it afterwards or from another dealer after you drove your car off the lot Honda will reject the application. It states this on their website and I also called another Honda dealer. I think the price might be higher
    because of my location--everything is more expensive in NY.

"Plans and Eligibility
    Honda Certified Used Cars qualify for Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage, up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date.

Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage contracts must be purchased at the time you purchase or lease your used vehicle. Ask your Honda dealer for details."

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/honda-care.aspx
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    edited March 2010
    I agree, it sucks!

It appears that we not only have to deal on the car, but also the EW before signing the papers and consummating the deal. .

However, "Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage contracts must be purchased at the time you purchase or lease your used vehicle."

It doesn't say the EW has to be purchased from the same dealer as the vehicle purchase. There may be a loop hole where you can purchase the EW from another dealer before you drive the car off the lot.

Something else that still concerns me is: "up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date." I would make sure the card you get will show an expiration date, in your case, of 5 years or 60K miles from the date and miles you purchase the vehicle. Rather than from the original date of the car first being put "in-service" by the former owner. A representative at Honda Care can tell you that!

If you have to deal on the EW, call another dealer and find out their price for the EW on the model car you ar buying, if you were buying the car at their dealership. Then tell your dealer you will pay that price or the whole deal is void. Keep in mind the "Finance Manager" earns his commissions on EWs, Selected accessories, and financing.

Kip
  • ksibleyksibley Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    We are purchasing a used 07 Pilot, 32k miles, the truck is certified Honda, comes with 1yr/12k bumper to bumber and 100k mile powertrain. They have offered me additonal "wrap around coverage" from Honda Care for an additon 995+ tax that will cover the car bumper to bumper.
    Does this price sound right? Do you think it is negotiable?
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Update ... after the dealer didn't call back as promised, I called three days later and left a message. A week passed and I finally got a return call yesterday. "Your extended warranty info should be in the system at HondaCare in a week or so."

No explanation of why, after buying the Pilot on Dec. 31 and the HC the same day, that it has taken until March 2 to get the info to Honda.

On the other hand, if the HC person was right about the warranty not starting until Honda has dealer info in its system, did I just gain two months on the warranty?
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    On the other hand, if the HC person was right about the warranty not starting until Honda has dealer info in its system, did I just gain two months on the warranty?

If your pilot was purchased new, then the warranty begins at the time the vehicle was entered into service. So no, you would not gain two months on the warranty.
  • flipflopperflipflopper Member Posts: 19
    Your HC warranty will go back to when you bought the car. I shopped around to get the best price on my 2010 Pilot and got the warranty three days after the vehicle purchase. When I rec'd the warranty paperwork, the date purchased was different from the start date of the warranty (which was the vehicle purchase date). If it wasn't, everyone would wait to buy the warranty to "buy" more time.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    accordexl, over aggressive is the right word. The finance manger made me looked like a criminal buying 'stolen' goods from another honda dealers in front of my family. He offered me $100 off the 7yr/80 HC for $1,450. I did my homework and got the HC deal from CollegeHills for $775. Called and paid Kara @ CollegeHills couple days after getting the new V. I received the Official HC package last night (2 wks from signing up for HC). Everything is authentic. Everybody should shop around. A few emails and phone calls can save hundreds of dollars for other goodies.

The prices of HC for V @ CollegeHills are:

6yr/80m $725
    7yr/80m $775
    8yr/100m $1,045

Cheers!
    Expect all prices offered at a dealer to be negotiable!

What is the time frame and mileage limits on the "Wrap Around" they offered?

Kip
    "The prices of HC for V CollegeHills are:6yr/80m $725, 7yr/80m $775
    8yr/100m $1,045 "

What is the deductible on these?

Thanks,
    Kip
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Something else that still concerns me is: "up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date." I would make sure the card you get will show an expiration date, in your case, of 5 years or 60K miles from the date and miles you purchase the vehicle. Rather than from the original date of the car first being put "in-service" by the former owner. A representative at Honda Care can tell you that!

My guess is th "original in-service date" is the first owner not when he purchased it. He is automatically covered by a 1 yr/12k mile warranty because it is a CPO which takes him to 57k miles. Basically he will be covered for only 3k miles.
    edited March 2010
    My guess is th "original in-service date" is the first owner not when he purchased it. He is automatically covered by a 1 yr/12k mile warranty because it is a CPO which takes him to 57k miles. Basically he will be covered for only 3k miles.

Instead of guessing, just consult the FAQ on the Certified Used Car web page which says:

When does coverage for a service contract begin?
    Coverage for a new-vehicle plan begins when the auto is originally put into service and at zero miles. Coverage for a used-vehicle plan begins on the purchase date and at the mileage on the odometer on that date.

http://automobiles.honda.com/certified-used/honda-care.aspx#

So he would get 4 year and 48K above the included 1 year, 12K.
    We are going over tonight, he just mentioned the wrap around coverage the other night and the cost. I will find out tonight if there are time limits.
    edited March 2010
    From the link above, supplied by jet1000..

"Plans and Eligibility
    Honda Certified Used Cars qualify for Honda Care Certified Additional Coverage, up to 7 years/100,000 miles from the original in-service date".

If your car is an '07, it is already 3 years old and 45K miles. Add the 12/12 you get free and the car will be at 4years/ 57K. Seems you would only be getting an additional 3 years/ 47K to equal the 7/100K. You said you already have a 100K drivetrain warranty. So the 5/60 they are wanting to sell you would have to include the free stuff you are already getting. :confuse:

Therefore the EW they want to sell you for $2300 will basically cover stuff other than the drive train and Cross Country Motor Club.. Seems like an overly expensive deal to me. :sick:

That is why we need to be very wary from the time we arrive at the dealer.

Kip

Seems you would only be getting an additional 3 years/ 47K to equal the 7/100K.

He's not buying a 7/100K policy from the original service date, so that doesn't apply to him. He's buying a 5 year, 60K from the date he purchases it. Yes, the first year and 12K are duplicated. The last 4 years and 48K miles are not.

You're trying to use terms from another policy and then you're saying that somehow restricts his coverage which clearly spells out 5 years, 60,000 miles. If it clearly says that, that what he gets. Not 3 years/47K as you're claiming.
    >"Yes, the first year and 12K are duplicated.......You're trying to use terms from another policy and then you're saying that somehow restricts his coverage which clearly spells out 5 years, 60,000 miles. If it clearly says that, that what he gets"

Where am I trying to use terms from another policy?

Read what I wrote and you referred too :
    "Seems you would only be getting an additional 3 years/ 47K to equal the 7/100K"

Notice the word additional and how it is used!

I will try to explain it more clearly.

Depending on the original date of "in-Service" by the original owner, If he purchases the 5/60 he is only going to get an additional 3-4 years and 47K-48K miles over and above the 12K he gets free.

He would not be getting an additional 5 years and 60K miles over and above what comes with the car, in my opinion ! He would, in effect, be either loosing the free 12mo/12K or not getting it with the 5/60. In the latter he would only be getting an additional 4/48 as you have said.
    "Yes, the first year and 12K are duplicated. The last 4 years and 48K miles are not."

Seems to me that he would be better off with a 48 mo/48K policy that starts when his free stuff is over. But they likely won't do that. As with everything else at a dealership, it is all about how many $$$ they can squeeze out of the customer. If the customer is willing to pay it, they are happy to take it.

Kip
    We bought our pilot Thursday evening, 21,200 for an EX with 30K miles, excellent condition.
    I want to thank you for the advise concerning the warranty, they were offering a "wrap around coverage" which is basically a bumper to bumper for 7 yrs or 100k miles for $995 +tax.And yes it starts from the original in service date in 9/06. I asked if they could discount this and the did knock $200 off, whoopee!!! :) The salesman stated to me that he has never seen this done, I personaly think he is a liar or I am the first to ever try. Regardless we are happy, not happy to have payments again but happy!
    He would, in effect, be either loosing the free 12mo/12K or not getting it with the 5/60. In the latter he would only be getting an additional 4/48 as you have said.

It sounds like we're in agreement now. I was only saying that I thought the 3 year, 47K number you used was incorrect. But yes, the first year is mostly duplicated. The part that is not probably duplicated is the roadside assistance benefits. That's the same when you buy a Honda Care for a new vehicles. The first 3 years are duplicated as far as warranty work, but you do get the benefits from day one.
  • crv123crv123 Member Posts: 33
    Hi All --

I tried to search this forum and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I apologize in advance if this information is out there.

I am in the process of negotiating on a 2010 Honda Pilot. I definitely want the extended warranty and I am looking specifically for the extended warranty thorugh HondaCare. I remember a few years back when I got my CRV, that I requested quotes through the internet and the quote I got was SIGNIFICANTLY better than the in person deal they tried to sell me. What I can't remember or find is whether there was a central location from which to request the quote or if I needed to request it directly from different dealers.

Also, my recollection is that I can buy the extended warranty from any dealer and that my local dealer will have to honor it...but I am hoping that someone can confirm that for me.

FYI, I am probably looking for 7 yr/100k or something similar...so if anyone can give me a cost range on that, it would be very helpful!!

Thanks in advance!!
    What I can't remember or find is whether there was a central location from which to request the quote or if I needed to request it directly from different dealers.

Also, my recollection is that I can buy the extended warranty from any dealer and that my local dealer will have to honor it...but I am hoping that someone can confirm that for me.

Yes, you can use your Honda Care at any Honda dealer in the country. They all are issued from the same corporate office and they go into the nationwide database so usually you don't even have to bring your paperwork. The dealer will see the contract that you have when they enter the VIN number in their system

There is no central place to get a quote. You do have to deal with dealers directly. They are no longer allowed to publish the quotes online. However, you can request a quote via their websites. Below is a list of dealers to get you started. Let us know how you do...

Saccucci
    http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
    Bernardi
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/
    College Hills Honda
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/index.htm
    Hyannis Honda of Hyannis, Massachusetts
    http://www.hyannishondacare.com/
    Curry Honda
    http://www.curryhondacare.com/
    Thanks!! I will keep you posted!! :)
    You can google santucci honda and bernardi honda and find pricing, but I have heard and read horror stories. So...when we bought a pilot a few weeks ago here's what we did, we tried negotiating with the dealer we were purchasing the vehicle from and they would not budge with warranty price. I spoke with Honda directly before we purchased to make sure we could buy the warranty after the fact and elsewhere, they said yes (had to be before 6,000 miles). So, when the other dealer we were working with found out they lost our sale on the pilot, and could make a sale on at least the warranty they offered us $200 less on the 8yr/100,000 $0 deduct. honda care warranty for $1290. Not the greatest price, but better than the purchasing dealer and better than being scamed online. Hope this helps - watch out - when in doubt - call the Honda 800# for assistance.
    Thanks. That is very helpful information. I will add the Honda 800# to my list of important information in my file!! ...but can you elaborate on what you mean by horror stories? I'm not sure what you mean and I am sure it will make me a better consumer...so thanks in advance!! :)
  • mkielmmkielm Member Posts: 38
    Bought mine from Saccucci (my spelling is correct). They were flawless. There is an issue if you are from CA or FL, but I have never heard a bad word about Saccucci, AND they are the ones putting up the money to fight Honda corporate from prohibiting internet sales of HCEW (after Honda originally encouraged Saccucci to do so). For that reason alone they should earn EVERYONE'S business - sticking up for the consumer (sure they have a dog in the fight since they were making a good amount of money on volume, but they were not screwing over the customer like so many back room "finance" managers ("take a seat in my office")). Why pay a premium for the same product? The horror story is the local dealer telling you its twice as much as it should be, then dropping it by a few hundred bucks after you point out that you saw it advertised for cost (you're still getting screwed, he's just making you feel a little better about it).
    Good luck.
    edited March 2010
    >"The horror story is the local dealer telling you its twice as much as it should be, then dropping it by a few hundred bucks after you point out that you saw it advertised for cost (you're still getting screwed, he's just making you feel a little better about it)."

Well said!
    >"they were offering a "wrap around coverage" which is basically a bumper to bumper for 7 yrs or 100k miles for $995 +tax.And yes it starts from the original in service date in 9/06. I asked if they could discount this and the did knock $200 off, whoopee!!!"

WoW ! Sounds like you got a heck of a great deal. Congratulations ! :shades:

Kip
    Ok...thanks for explaining. I definitely want to avoid that!! I will let you know how I do!!
    Thanks for correcting my spelling....that was important. My point was to just be careful what you purchase from online sales people. Why on earth would their profit margin be little to nothing? A friend had to cancel/dispute the credit card charge because the warranty didn't go through (hence the profit was taking ALL the $) and another waited for paperwork for months. I never said I got the best deal on my warranty, but at least I got a warranty where as others I've known have had a battle. Not looking for one here either friend, just offering crv123 the advice they wanted. You sound like you may work for SANCCUCCI...no?
    It's Saccucci and, yes, spelling is important (especially if one is doing a search on the internet).

No, I live in Richmond, VA, not RI (as is noted in some of my earlier posts), to answer your suspicion.

There is nothing wrong with valuing purchase at a local dealership over the lowest amount of money (via a reputable internet business - there are numerous one's listed on this forum with no complaints associated with them). It's all what one is comfortable with and willing to spend. Sorry I ruffled your feathers, but, as you note, this forum is for giving advice and past experience, and I was sharing mine.

As I understand it, Saccucci's profit margin on the actual, individual HCEW was minimal to ZERO. They made all or almost all of their money through "bonuses" for selling such a large number of HCEWs per month (so, yeah, there's another profit component in the EW scheme - when you pay cost as I did you are still paying some profit to dealerships (hold back anyone?). (In fact, when I researched the law and court case on internet sales of HCEW before buying I recall that Saccucci ended up making as much money from these sales in a month, just due to the bonus, as they did on car sales owing to the fact that they are in a small market. Chalk one up for savvy business persons adjusting to technology AND giving the consumer a positive experience on a valuable commodity.) I had a great and flawless experience with Saccucci, but I suspect the same result could have been had with Bernardi or other reputable sellers identified in this forum (It just seems to me that since Saccucci is the one paying its money to fight Honda Corp. in order for these type of sales to continue, they should get some credit and business out of respect).

It's a shame that more people don't research such decisions fully before purchasing, the internet can be amazing (as well as misleading and a place for fraud).
    A friend had to cancel/dispute the credit card charge because the warranty didn't go through (hence the profit was taking ALL the $) and another waited for paperwork for months.

Notice that you omit the dealer that your friends dealt with, and you try to connect their experiences to dealers that many people have purchased from online with no problems whatsoever. Where exactly are these horror stories that you've read?

Honda Care paperwork is processed very quickly from my multiple experiences with online purchases. The online dealers have always been very helpful.
  • mcobramcobra Member Posts: 4
    I'm planning to buy Honda Pilot EX in orange county soon. I have few questions regarding warranty.
    1. Do I need Extended warranty??
    2. If its needed, buying at dealership is better than online??
    3. Is Honda Care warranty available online for CA residents?
    4. If warranty needed, what is the better price for 8-10year 120k warranty?

Thank you very much in advance.
  • denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    Possibly final update ... received HC papers in mail yesterday, after buying the Pilot on Dec. 31, 2009. They were indeed backdated to the sale. Now the question is, did the dealer's unexplained delay just cost me the 60-day cancellation option? Because I finally received the contract suspiciously close to 60 days. Is there any chance that this HC warranty is different from whatever the standard is? It looks like a HC warranty.
    Inside the front cover of your booklet will have all the information.
    Where and when your purchased, whom is financing, how much you paid, vin#, model, and very important is the Expiration date and mileage as well as the deductible if any.

I expect the dealer just let your paper work slip through a crack and your inquiry reminded them to "get 'er done", Glad you got it! :)

Kip
    3. Is Honda Care warranty available online for CA residents?

Some online dealers will not sell to California residents due to their interpretation of California law. However, when I checked last, currhondacare.com will give quotes to California residents.
    I assume you have been in contact with HC corporate all this time, and that they have a record of your conversation/communications. Contact them again, let them know the timing of your receipt of the contract, and ask them about that timing, the validity of your EW, and your options for cancellation (conference calls with the dealer are always welcome here - but I would get the skinny from them before including your dealer). Honda Corp. should honor your request to cancel and they should have a complete record in their offices regarding when they received the paperwork from the dealer and when the paperwork was sent to you. I have no doubt that they would honor your request to cancel if the timing is as you say.
    Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    edited March 2010
    >"I'm planning to buy Honda Pilot EX in orange county soon. I have few questions regarding warranty."

"1. Do I need Extended warranty?? "

An EW is nothing more than an Insurance Policy on your car. They are betting that you won't need repairs that exceed the cost of the EW. You are hoping you won't have any expensive repairs, but are willing to spend some money for the piece of mind. Same as with Health insurance, Home owners Insurance and Life insurance.

Our 03 Pilot required enough repairs "After" the factory warranty, that the EW was pretty much paid for, in not having to pay for the repairs.

Our 03 CR-V at 5 years and 40K+ miles required the entire AC system replacement due to the compressor self destructing and contamination of everything with tiny bits and pieces. Dealer said the cost would have been around $3,000 without the HCEW. Then at 6 years and 49K miles they had to replace the Computer, 2 modules, and 2 sensors. The car was there for a week. The 2 modules were $1,100 for the pair. Sensors probably $225+ each, and I'm guestimating the computer at $2500. Plus many hours of labor and 6 days of a rental car. Seems we paid $1100 for the EW. Well worth the cost!

"2. If its needed, buying at dealership is better than online??"

If the dealer will match or come close to matching the "On Line Prices" I prefer to support the "local" dealer and help keep his doors open.

"3. Is Honda Care warranty available online for CA residents?"

Call the various "Discount Dealers" and ask them. While they may not be able to do an internet transaction, they may be able to do a phone, a mail, or person to person transaction.

"4. If warranty needed, what is the better price for 8-10year 120k warranty?"

Read back a few pages on this forum for that information as well as contacts.

My recent personal experience is the dealer originally wanted $2300 for an 8year/100K HCEW. When I told him I would need to do some checking on that, he lowered the price to $1335 for 8/100K with "0" Deductible. The price for $100 deductible would have been about $1100. "$50" deductible around $1200

I chose the "0" deductible because I had had the "$50" deductible in the past, and had to pay the $50 on several visits. I'm thinking more than $200 worth.

Consider this: If your car is out of factory warranty and you suspect a problem, the dealer will charge you for diagnosis, even if they find nothing. With a "deductible" EW you will pay $50 or $100 for the diagnosis even if they find nothing. But the repairs will be covered if needed. With "$0" deductible there is no charge! :shades:

Kip
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    edited March 2010
    Hi All, I am in the middle of purchasing a 2010 Pilot Touring w NAV and AWD (Put down payment and waiting for pick up sometime this week).

I was offered a Repair Master EW instead of the HC. They said that this was better.

It is $1300 for 7 yrs/85k miles (extra $150 for 100k). They also told me that if it went unused, that I would get back 100% of the money.

Can someone explain why this would be better then HC warranty?
    Pricing appears hi from what I read here. How should I go about getting this knocked down in price. I do not normally purchase EW's,but with all the electronics, who knows what can happen

Regards,
  • haleypophaleypop Member Posts: 4
    Extended warranties are a rip off. Kinda like credit card protection policies.
    If you are going to have problems, the problem is most likely to show up during the warranty period. Take the $1300 and put it in a savings account. If you need repairs, you'll have the money, with interest.
  • clarence10clarence10 Member Posts: 57
    I agree with you. Amazing how an educated consumer like myself could even think about tacking this on.

They are good at what the do!!!!

Thanks for the sanity check
    If you are going to have problems, the problem is most likely to show up during the warranty period.

This is simply not the case. Since I get the 120,000 mile coverage, I have numerous things (usually small items) that occur after the 36,000 mile coverage has expired. Things like power windows or power locks that don't operate as they are supposed to, or air conditioner thermostats that go out. When buying the extended coverage on line, the cost over the duration is so low it's a no-brainer for me to get it. In addition, the roadside assistance is covered for 8 years as well.

If I don't keep the vehicle the whole time, then I get a pro-rated rebate.

It is $1300 for 7 yrs/85k miles (extra $150 for 100k). They also told me that if it went unused, that I would get back 100% of the money.

Can someone explain why this would be better then HC warranty?

I don't really think that it is better than an HC warranty. You pay more upfront, but you will be discouraged from using it for small repairs. In other words, if something only costs a few hundred bucks to fix, you'd think, well maybe I should just pay for it myself because I want to have the potential to get the $1300 back at the end. Then the next small items goes and you think the same thing.

I enjoy using my Honda Care on anything that comes up. That's what it's there for. The dealer is so accommodating as they know Honda Care will pay for the repair.
    edited March 2010
    >"Extended warranties are a rip off. Kinda like credit card protection policies.
    If you are going to have problems, the problem is most likely to show up during the warranty period. Take the $1300 and put it in a savings account. If you need repairs, you'll have the money, with interest."

I respectfully disagree! HC is more like a health insurance policy. Except with HC you may get some money back.

I agree with Jet10000 on this one. Most of the expensive repairs we have experienced with our Honda's were after the 36/36 factory warranty ran out.

But let's take a look at your plan:

1.- Put the $1300 in a savings account. Most are drawing less than 1/2 per cent interest. Figuring at 1/2% interest rate, at the end of an 8 year period of time, the $1300 would have grown to $1305.20. That's $5.20 interest if you didn't need it for any repairs. Of course rates could go up or down, and CD's will pay a bit more, but the money may not be available, without penalties, when needed. Also in most cases the CD would need to be more than $1300 to get 1% or better. That is if everything goes well, and no after factory warranty work is needed.

2- Something goes wrong, such as the EGR valve on my Pilot at 4 years down the road. Service technician spent 4+ hours the first day and 2+ hours the second day looking for the problem. The car remained there over night so a rental was necessary. If I had been out of town, a hotel stay would have also been necessary. At $100 per hour + the Part + the rental + the hotel bill would have been quite high. If they had not had the part in stock, maybe another hotel night and another day of car rental. A sensor or two, could have added more out of pocket without the HCEW. When I traded it, at less than 40K miles and near 7 years, the rear shocks needed replacing and there was a noise from the rear they couldn't identify.

My wifes CR-V ( after factory warranty) required 6 days, 2 modules ($1100) 2 ($$$) sensors, and a computer ($$$). The $1300 would not have paid for the 2 modules and sensors. The labor and computer and car rental would have broken our bank!

It also had 2 sensors replaced (on 2 different occasions) after factory warranty.

The CR-V's AC compressor self destructed out of warranty. HC picked up the $3000 tab and rented her a car.

HC Plan:
    Buy it and forgo the $5-$6 interest the $1300 would have earned if not needed.
    If it isn't used, the money is returned.
    If it is used, for even the simplest of a failure, the plan pays.
    If you suspect a problem, there is no diagnosis fee because the plan pays if you have $0 deductible.

Too many things to go wrong with modern cars cars for me to take a chance of having to pay for those repairs. :sick:

Kip
  • mcobramcobra Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Kipk for your explanation. :). You sold me HC warranty.

I live in Southern California. When I got quote from dealer, he said its about $2100 for 8 years/100k warranty. I checked in curryhondacare.com, they quoted $1380 for same warranty. If I buy warranty from curryhondacare.com, is this same as Honda Care warranty to dealer Honda care warranty??. Any issues (for not covering by other dealers) if I buy from Curryhondacare.com??

Thanks in advance.
    If I buy warranty from curryhondacare.com, is this same as Honda Care warranty to dealer Honda care warranty??. Any issues (for not covering by other dealers) if I buy from Curryhondacare.com??

Yes, it's the same. The paperwork will be mailed out to you from the same Honda corporate office whether you buy it from your local dealer or from Curry. Your VIN number will be entered into Honda's nationwide database so that every dealer in the country will know that your vehicle is covered by Honda Care. Any dealer will be happy to perform any necessary work for you because they are getting reimbursed by Honda Care.

I've purchased a Honda Care from Curry before and everything went smoothly. They even assisted me in getting a rebate for the time left on the warranty when I traded my vehicle in before the warranty was up.
    One should never make a decision in the "finance guys" room regarding EWs. Don't be pressured - any decision. Consumer Reports did an excellent article on EWs for cars. Search it out and read it (probably a few years ago - I think in one of the car issues (April)).

They came down on the side of not getting one if your only reason is financial. But I suspect that many people who take the time to research EWs and still buy them do so for the sense of security or as a result of a bad past experience.

There is at least one other reason to contemplate a HC EW, and that is that the cost through internet dealers is very low (if you search out and read the consumer reports article you will note that the high price of most EWs result in very few instances of actually getting a full return on cost - and after all that is why these "policies" are sold, to make money for the seller). So if you review the Consumer Reports article and understand that at its foundation for suggesting people pass on EWs is the cost to return ratio, an HC EW purchased at cost through an internet dealer refutes that logic to a certain extent.

Still, it is a decision that you need to make understanding that these products are sold to make a profit at your (the consumer's) expense and the chances are probably great that you will not recoup your investment, so you need to determine if there are other reasons to purchase the product.

Best of luck and enjoy your new PILOT!

ps: Be wary of anyone that makes blanket statements (pro or con) - very little in this world is black and white.
    >"I live in Southern California. When I got quote from dealer, he said its about $2100 for 8 years/100k warranty. I checked in curryhondacare.com, they quoted $1380 for same warranty. If I buy warranty from curryhondacare.com, is this same as Honda Care warranty to dealer Honda care warranty??. "

Once again I agree with Jet 10000. Your HCEW should be entered under your VIN number in the HONDA national computer and therefore you are covered at all Honda dealers.

Personally I would give the dealer, where you purchased the vehicle, an opportunity to meet the $1380 price. Just for the purpose of helping the local merchant stay in business and being there when you need him. Even at the $1380 he will still be making money.

My finance man wanted $2300 for the 8/100 with "0" deductible. When I balked, he dropped it to $1335 and said he was only making about $200. So I felt he was finally getting somewhat honest with me. I would just as soon he make the $$ as another dealer. And they can't stay in business unless they make some kind of profit. ;)

Kip
  • happyaccordhappyaccord Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2010
    I got my from Galpin Honda in Mission Hills for $1250, 100,000 miles for 8 yrs, with no deductible. I bought my last month. ::)
  • albig1albig1 Member Posts: 3
    I just placed my order for a HCEW,,8/120k,$0 deductible for $1295 with Saccucci and I live in Georgia. The reason I went with them was two-fold: the dealers would offer me the 100k EW for $2025, then reduced it to $1550 and wouldn'accucct budge, and secondly Saccucci is family owned dealership which is run by Mrs. Saccucci, (a widower) and her daughters who took on Honda when the dealers started "whining" about losing sales to the internet.
    Hyannis Honda quotes the same pricing as Saccucci, and Bernardi was slightly higher.
    I'm surprised the Georgia dealers wouldn't compete with Saccucci .

Got my 09 Ridgeline and EW at Nalley Honda, in Union City Georgia, and they got "right" when they saw the EW deal not working their way.

Kip
    edited March 2010
    Dealer by dealer (differing levels of greed and customer satisfaction priorities).

Brings up a really good point regarding the purchase of EWs, especially if you are more comfortable purchasing local. Settle on a price you are comfortable with for the vehicle and then, BEFORE going back to the finance guy's lair, start negotiating the EW if it's something you are interested in. You have much more leverage and you can walk away from the vehicle deal if you do not receive satisfaction. Once you are in the back room things start moving fast and pressure builds to get the deal done. Don't be a hostage!
    Settle on a price you are comfortable with for the vehicle and then, BEFORE going back to the finance guy's lair, start negotiating the EW if it's something you are interested in. You have much more leverage and you can walk away from the vehicle deal if you do not receive satisfaction.

Seems like a lot of work for not much gain. It is enough of a hassle to negotiate the car and to then to add on top of that, negotiating the Honda Care, and threatening to walk if they don't get to the price. They're not going to beat the online dealers' price anyway...they might meet it. So why work hard to have them meet the price when with a couple of clicks of the mouse, you get the best Honda Care price anyway, hassle free.
    mkielm has valid points, especially if we want to keep our money local.

I personally like to do that when possible. We have the advantage here of knowing what the various HCEW can be purchased for. So it's not like we have to HOPE we can find a better deal than the finance guy's first offer. We know we can.

Visit the dealer late in the day. Be early enough that the sales folks can "Shop" your trade if necessary, but too late to call financial institution This will give you a way to leave if the deal in the finance office goes South.

We need to "KNOW" 4 things before visiting that dealer.

1.. True value of our trade. (Edmunds,Kelly Blue Book, NADA Black Book)
    not the "B-S" Black book some dealers offer on line.
    2. True market value of the car we want to purchase. This info can be gotten right here on EDMUNDS. Also call the Internet department of several dealers and get a "Selling" price. Don't mention anything about a trade. You are only interested in what they will sell the car for, at this time.

With these items 1 & 2 your are ready to negotiate the trade or purchase.

3. Interest rates on new car purchases at local Banks and Credit Unions. Credit unions will likely be better.
    4. On line prices for the EWs. Which we all know now.

When working the deal on 1&2, casually mention you will want an EW and will be financing also. But don't negotiate any EW or interest rates at that time. Just mentioning the EW and financing tells the sales folks there is another way they can probably make more money on you.

When you get into the "Finance" office, the person will likely try to sell you an EW. The price will be high. Ask how much the monthly notes will be. He will run your credit check and even if it is good (a FICA of 720 or more) he will still try to put you on a high interest rate. Ask him what % rate he figured and the number of payments. He must tell you truthfully, because it will be on the purchase order. He also has to show you the print out of your "FICA" score. So ask!

Be polite! He is doing his job and you are doing yours. If his interest payments are more than you know you can get at your Credit Union or bank and his EW is priced high, simply say "I think I need to talk with my Credit Union and call around on the EW. What time will you be here tomorrow? I can bring you a cashiers check?"

He doesn't want you to leave because the deal might fall through. A high percentage of people that leave a dealership without the deal being finalized, don't return. Then he might try to tell you his offer is for today only. You say, "I understand, but I owe it to myself to check this out because we are talking a lot of money here". Keep in mind that he knows exactly what local credit unions are offering and what the EW can be purchased for. He will likely make you a good offer or ask what you are willing to do. Then say " I would like to finalize this deal tonight. So I think an interest rate of such and such (the one you know is good) and an EW price of such and such (one you know is good) is fair. If he says he just can't do that, politely say, "I understand" and stand up. Remember he makes his money on financing and EWs primarily. If you don't deal through him, he still has to do the paperwork without the commissions. Although he likely gets a piece of the "Documentation" fee. If he is unable or unwilling to do the reasonable thing, Thank him for his time, shake his hand and leave. If the deal falls apart in his office, his General Manager is not a happy camper. You will likely get a call the next day. :)