Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• jatanjatan Member Posts: 92
    The title thing varies from state to state so whatever procedure your state has for selling your car (look at your state's website)

For the loan they usually keep the terms the same, but they'll credit the amount to the principal balance so your total amount owed will go down. Yes you'll be paying interest on that amount until they cancel it ($2k @ 1.85% is ~$37/yr or ~$0.71/week which isn't much), but unfortunately you signed the paperwork so you'll have to deal with their cancellation procedure and time frame

Sad fact is that most dealers are out to screw you -- there are some decent dealers who offer reasonable pricing and won't force you to buy other things, but you have to look at online dealer reviews to find those dealers (you won't get the lowest price but you won't be screwed either so its a safer option). If you want the lowest price then you'll need to learn to play their game, hold your ground and not fall into their traps

When buying new cars there's no point in going there in person to negotiate the price (unlike used cars, all new cars are the same) so get the best price online and then go buy it. Best way is to contact all your local dealers using their website and tell them which model, trim, and features you want and ask for the best price for the car with detination fee included and the final out the door price with tax/title/doc. Once you get the online pricing from all the dealers then see which one is the lowest. Now reply back to all the other dealers "the lowest price I have is $xxxxx, will you be able to beat that price" and see who's willing to beat it. Now that the hard part is done, just go there in person and finish the paperwork and learn to say no for stuff they try to add on
  • ahd3ahd3 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your thorough reply and excellent information! Sadly, the damage has already been done--I paid too much for the car and had a bad experience with the dealers, completely falling into their trap. Lesson learned -- the next time I buy a car, I'll do it the smart way as you suggested.

In the meantime, I'll try to get over this and enjoy my car!
  • kenkenkenken Member Posts: 21
    USAA, within the last year or so, started the AutoCircle. They have excellent pre-negotiated prices with specific dealers by ZIP. They usually offer at least 3 dealer prices with a reasonable mileage radius. I have used them twice now, and not only got great prices, but more than reasonable trade-in value. For Example, in June 2011, when the Tsunami was causing increased pricing on Honda and other Japanese products, I was able to buy my wife's Honda Odyssey EX-L at dealer cost. Worth a look for those that have served.
  • mamitmamit Member Posts: 1
    Bought a new Odyssey yesterday, THANK GOD we managed to refuse the extended warranty they aggressively tried to sell us. Damn they were aggressive! The offered us 8 years/100K miles for $3200!!!

I am growing the net now to see if we can find one online and found this helpful forum!

I contacted the three recommended websites on this forum but two of them did not have California as an option in the dropbox. Weird.

Anyone else I should try?

Thanks!
    CA has some state law that causes problem for online dealers to sell Honda Care, but some how Saccucci is able to get past the state law so they're probably your only option if you want to buy online or else start calling local dealers

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
  • sg2012sg2012 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought the 2012 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L w/Nav yesterday and the dealership tried to sell me the 100K extended warranty (EW) from Zurich for $2145. I refused to buy it and made the deal (price posted in the price paid forum). I am still interested in buying EW but have the following questions:

1. What are the advantages of Honda Care over Zurich?
    2. If I buy Honda Care, do I have to get all factory recommended maintenance done either at the dealership or another repair shop?
    3. What is a reasonable price to expect for the 8yr/120K Honda Care EW for the 2012 CR-V? I have requested quotes from these websites:
    http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/coverage.php
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/Honda.aspx
    http://hyannishondacare.com/

Thanks!
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    1. What are the advantages of Honda Care over Zurich?

Not only does it cost less, but the Honda dealer takes care of all of the claims and paperwork. You don't worry about that.

2. If I buy Honda Care, do I have to get all factory recommended maintenance done either at the dealership or another repair shop?

No, they don't use that as a reason to decline you. If you didn't do some maintenance and that resulted in specific damage and it was obvious, then maybe yes. But if you missed a tire rotation, they're not going to use it as a means of not fixed a malfunctioning power door lock.

3. What is a reasonable price to expect for the 8yr/120K Honda Care EW for the 2012 CR-V? I have requested quotes from these websites:

Whatever those three websites come back with for prices are probably about the lowest you're going to get.
    1) Backed by Honda so any dealer will do the work and you'll get OEM parts -- get the $0 deductible plan so you wont have to pay anything out of pocket. With 3rd party warranties you can take your car anywhere (dealer or indep shops) but they may or may not cover the repair or they may not cover the full amount of the repair so you're left with paying the difference. You can do your own research with google "zurich warranty reviews" to see how that company is

2) Look up "mag moss act" which pretty much states that car companies cannot require you to get the maintanence done at dealerships in order to keep the warranty (it doesn't mean you can skip it, you still have to do proper maintenance) -- you can go to a dealer or indep shop or do it yourself, just save the receipts for service or parts you purchased. If you need warranty work in the future then its the dealer's job to tell you why it failed and why they won't cover the repair. Warranty work experience varies from dealer to dealer so you just have to find a good dealer in your area (search for online service reviews for dealers in your area)

Honda's maintenance minder system is good enough if you just want to do minimum service on your car. Depending on your area, there will be some dealers with online coupons for reasonably priced service (I'm in Chicago and there are a few dealers with good online coupons). The biggest rip off I think is the air & cabin filters since they charge $75+ for it (buy the filters and change it yourself, check youtube for how to videos, air+cabin filter for my 2011 Civic cost me $25 on Amazon and it only took me a few mins to change them out)

If you like to do your own maintenance then I recommend taking it to the dealer every 3rd or 4th oil change just for the free inspection that they do with it (or try to find "free inspection" coupons on their websites) -- that way if they find something wrong, you can have it fixed under warranty. I usually like to do my own maintenance but the Civic was my first new car so I decided to get the first couple oil changes done at a dealer (price was good with online coupon) -- during my 2nd oil change, the dealer found a power steering pump leak and they fixed it under warranty, I would not have caught that if I was doing the oil change myself. Now I'll start doing the oil changes myself, but I'll get every 3rd oil change done by the dealer incase they find something wrong

3) Reasonable price is whatever the online dealers are giving you =P
    Thanks for your response. I actually requested quotes from the three above mentioned websites and heard back from two already. I can't believe how much the dealership where I purchased the CR-V from wanted to rip me off. I was quoted $1045 for 8year/120K honda care as opposed to $2145 for 8yr/100K of Zurich at the dealership. I am so glad I did not fall for that one.
    Thank you for taking the time out to answer all the questions I asked. I do like to do my own maintenance. The clause of maintaining the vehicle with the dealership was the only reason I would have not bought extended warranty. But you have cleared this up well and I believe I will go for it. Thanks again and I appreciate all your help.
    Not sure what a CRV policy will cost. My $0 deductible for 8 year/120k miles for my 2011 Odyssey was $1270 from Hyannis which was $25 less than the quote from Saccucci and $225 less than my quote from Berardi.
  • sd106sd106 Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased an Odyssey EX-L. I think we did well on the price ($33,264 with everything, including tax), though the finance manager of course tried to add on various items, including the Factory Wrap+Plus Care protection package (http://apps.cnanational.com/cportal/vehicle-service-contracts ).

This extends the 3yr /36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper (and 5 year/50,000 powertrain) standard warranty to 10 years / 120,000 miles for everything. There's a $100 deductible, and guarantees all replacement parts are new Honda parts. There are also a few minor perks, like roadside assistance, etc. The warranty is transferable should we sell the car before 10 years. Also, it can be terminated early for a pro-rated refund.

I resisted, then purchased it for the "employee discount" price of $1,338 -- only because I can cancel within 60 days. Suggestions?? Thanks!
    So you want to pay a $100 deductible every time something needs fixing??? Why not just go for the 8yr/120k mi $0 deductible Honda Care from one of the online Honda dealers? Good at any Honda dealer, also gives Honda parts, has extra perks. You can transfer to new private party owner (if you want to sell the car on your own) for a small fee ($50 I think) or you can get a prorated refund if you want to cancel after 60 days

http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/extended-services
    http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/static/pdf/Honda_Care_Coverage_Details.pdf-

For online dealer links look a few posts back
    I resisted, then purchased it for the "employee discount" price of $1,338 -- only because I can cancel within 60 days. Suggestions?? Thanks!

I would get a quote from one of the discount online Honda dealers such as:

and compare the price to what you got. They usually offer $0 deductible policies for a little more which is highly superior to the $100 deductibles. Plus you can also get the roadside assistance as well.
  • vsp007vsp007 Member Posts: 1
    These are the same quotes I got. Did you end up buying this plan?
  • hqly2001hqly2001 Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2012
    If i wait untiil near 6 k to buy, will the contract be as of that date or will it be back dated as of the purchase date or in service date?

It might take me a year to reach 6k, so im wondering if. Can buy i a year later for 9 yrs total coverage.
    edited April 2012
    If i wait untiil near 6 k to buy, will the contract be as of that date or will it be back dated as of the purchase date or in service date?

If you buy before 6K it will be backdated to the date of the car purchase. If you buy after 6K it will start the date you buy the contract. HOWEVER, they won't sell you an 8 year after 6K. It appears the most they will sell after 6K is a 6 year, 120K miles for a 2012 and a 5 year/120K for a 2011. So for the maximum 8 year time, you'll want to buy before 6K.
  • drewskidoubledrewskidouble Member Posts: 10
    Thanks in advance for everyone's contribution and the information about Honda Care, this helped me dodge a HUGE bullet when I purchase my 2012 Odyssey EX-L w/RES last week. As recommended, I went ahead and emailed the top three warranty dealers and got a return quote of $1295 (Saccucci/Bernardi) and $1270 from Hyannis.

BUT now I am also interested in the Sentinel Service. My current understanding is that it includes tire coverage, free oils changes as recommended by the vehicle maintenance minder, BUT I am confused about how it ties into Honda Care.

I know there are two types:
    Honda Care Sentinel 3/45. This premier plan provides both oil change and extensive component coverage for three years or 45,000 miles.
    Honda Care Sentinel Services™: This plan covers oil changes according to your vehicle’s Maintenance Minder.

Am I correct in thinking that the 2nd option, Sentinel Services, is bought in conjunction with a Honda Care plan, while the 1st option, Sentinel 3/45, is the oil change plan fused together with the shortest 3 year/45k honda care plan?

Also does anyone have an experience on how much each of these services typically run so I get a baseline for the price I should be hunting for.
    Prepaid maintenance is usually a waste -- the first few years you'll just need oil changes, tire rotations, and air+cabin filters

The filters are easy, you can buy them and do them on your own -- look for Youtube videos if you don't know how

The oil changes -- you can do it on your own if you know how to or else just look at Honda dealer websites in your area to see what kind of coupons they have (I'm in Chicago and theres a dealer who always has online coupons so reg oil changes are <$20 & full syn oil is $35-$40) or look at independent shops to see how much they charge. For my 2011 Civic I went to the dealer for the first 2 oil changes just b/c it was cheap, but now I'm going to change my own oil since I picked up a bunch of cheap/free after rebate oil in the past couple months so it'll last me the next ~2 yrs. I'll go back to the dealer for an oil change around 30k-34k miles before my warranty is up so I can have them check the rest of the car and fix it if they find something
  • zenturyzzenturyz Member Posts: 2
    Bought a certified used 2008 Honda odyssey.
    but yeah had 80k miles on it. which is when we see things falling apart.

I thought I got a good deal with the Extended warranty. It looks like I might have paid a li'l more.
    The deal was supposed to be for Hondacar 120k miles.

when I got the papers to sign it was for Zurich.

Paid $1200 for 8 yr/120k mile $0 deductibl.

I got 60- more days to decide and cancel.

Please let me know if I got a good deal?

I was quoted $1295 for Honda care which was comparable to Zurich.
  • zenturyzzenturyz Member Posts: 2
    Bought a certified used 2008 Honda odyssey.
    but yeah had 80k miles on it. which is when we see things falling apart.

I thought I got a good deal with the Extended warranty. It looks like I might have paid a li'l more.
    The deal was supposed to be for Hondacar 120k miles.

when I got the papers to sign it was for Zurich.

Paid $1200 for 8 yr/120k mile $0 deductibl.

I got 60- more days to decide and cancel.

Please let me know if I got a good deal?

I was quoted $1295 for Honda care which was comparable to Zurich.
    I would pay a little extra for the Honda. My Honda warranty works great. When the dealership sees that my vehicle has it, they're happy to fix whatever comes up. It's in their best interest because it's more money for them.
  • yaupon2yaupon2 Member Posts: 18
    FYI, just completed purchasing the 8 yr./120,000 mile/$0 Deductible Honda Care extended warranty from Hyannis Honda for my 2012 Accord EXL. Price was $995. Emailed the contact person for the EW, who indicated that I only had to fax/email the first page of the contract with my name, address, phone number, VIN, miles on the car and signature. Once I faxed the information to him, he called me so that I could provide my credit card payment information. Within a few minutes of talking to the salesman I received an email confirmation of the completed transaction. I will be able to use the email confirmation if I need to use the EW before the actual paperwork from Honda is mailed to me. Very easy transaction to initiate and complete. By comparison, dealer that I purchased the 2012 Accord from wanted to sell me a third party 5 yr/60,000 mile EW for $1,700....no thanks.

This is the second EW warranty that I have purchased from Hyannis Honda. I recently used the EW that I had on my 2008 Accord EXL to replace the ABS modulator [circa $1500 installed w/o warranty and an ABS wheel sensor circa $200]. Dealer diagnosed the problem, called Honda to confirm the repairs were covered by EW and then made the repairs with OEM parts.

Hope my positive experience with purchasing multiple Honda Care warranties from Hyannis Honda helps someone rest easier about whether to purchase a Honda Care EW or not.
  • phdnanaphdnana Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to other postings for sending me to:
    http://hyannishondacare.com/
    where Bob Leab was extremely helpful.

Also check
    where Gardiner Reynolds was very helpful as well.
  • web2webweb2web Member Posts: 7
    2 of the 3 websites mentioned above does not have these warranties available for California. Are there any other options for EW for the cars purchased in California?
    Here are a couple of other out of state dealers you can try:

http://www.curryhondacare.com/

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/index.htm

Of course any California dealer should be able to sell it to you as well.
  • web2webweb2web Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for the links. Tried Curry Honda. Their quote is $190 more than SACCUCCI. I will probably go with SACCUCCI.
  • sahondabuyersahondabuyer Member Posts: 11
    I just bought a 2012 Honda Accord SE and we told the finance manager that we were going to buy our Honda Care Extended Warranty online. He jumped out of his seat and said those warranties are no good and many folks find they are not covered. What? Aren't they exactly the same? He says there is litigation that has made some warranties void. Is this true? Can we trust buying them online? Who is the most reputable online warranty contact?
    He jumped out of his seat and said those warranties are no good and many folks find they are not covered. What? Aren't they exactly the same?

Of course they're exactly the same. You buy them from a real Honda dealership and the paperwork comes from the same corporate office in CA that it would come from if your local dealer sold it to you.

Your local dealer just didn't want to lose out on his profit margin so he started spitting out lies.

Just get a quote from one of the online dealers and place your order:

http://hyannishondacare.com/index.php
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/
  • houshopperhoushopper Member Posts: 5
    Hi SAhondabuyer, I saw your other post and you can help me out. The OTD price is great price.....may I ask what kind of other options did you get (besides tinted windows)? such as floor mats, splash guards, body side molding, trunk tray....
  • maddux0829maddux0829 Member Posts: 7
    I saw lots people share the info of purchasing extended warranties. Does all honda car service honor the warranties even I didn't buy from them? First time to buy a new car. I bought Odyssey in NJ.
    If you buy the actual "Honda Care" warranty from any Honda dealer (local or online) then all dealers will do the warranty work -- its basically the factory 3 yr/36k mi warranty being extended plus it has some extra benefits like roadside, car rental for long repairs, trip interruption: http://www.hondafinancialservices.com/finance/extended-services (PDF brochure link on the right side of the page)

If you're buying a third party warranty then it depends on the dealer
    Hi,

Thanks for replying. Not sure how I tell the actual "Honda care". Like these websites.
    http://hyannishondacare.com/index.php
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/

Do they sell actual honda care or third party? I guess they sell actual Honda care?

I assume the third party warranty is not Honda Care (the way to distinguish)
    Most people online will buy it from those 3 websites since they sell genuine Honda Care and they have the best pricing so no worries there. Get a quote from all 3 and see who is the cheapest -- I would go for the $0 deductible plans

You only have to worry if you're buying it locally b/c some dealers will push third party warranties since they get more money for selling those and they act like its Honda Care
    Hi Jatan,

I got quotes from those website above. Two of them (Hyannis and Saccucci) provide very low price. (around 300~400 lower than what I got from my dealer). do they sell official honda care warranty?

Thanks,
    All 3 websites are good

Those websites sell a high volume of Honda Care plans so they get a bigger discount from Honda and they don't like to rip people off so they offer cheap pricing -- local dealers wouldn't be able to match those prices since they don't sell as many
    Thanks for help!
  • hawleym7hawleym7 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2010 Honda Accord with 42K miles. So purchasing a Honda Care extended warranty is not an option. Anyone have experience with 3rd party extended warranty companies? I'm looking for some suggestions on zero deductible, bumper-to-bumper warranties.
  • adnansadnans Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am planning to buy a 2009 Hodna odyssey Touring model, mileage are 41k and it is certifed comes with 1 year/12k Honda certified coverage and 7years/100k powertrain and transmission warranty. Dealer is telling me that I should get Wrap around coverage to cover for after 1 year period. The coverage goes for 7years/100k miles through Olympic Care warranty. Van is already 3 and 1/2 years old, and when I buy it will come with 1 year/12k warranty, so essentially I will be paying around 1800 dollars for only 2 and 1/2 years. Van appears to be in great shape and is Honda dealer maintained. What kind of problems are common on these odysseys and is it advisable to get this extended Wrap Around Coverage?

If I don't buy now, what other options I have when I get closer to 1 year ending certified warranty.

Many thanks!
    Andy
  • kaushalcshahkaushalcshah Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,
    I purchased a 2012 CR-V (New) 2 days back and the dealer trapped me into buying their extended warranty- Honda Care- saying I can only purchase it at the time of purchasing the car. I felt the cost was extremely high ($2300 + tax) for the 8yr/100K miles with $100 deductible.

I then came across this forum where the 3 sites listed offer reasonable price extended warranty (Honda Care) which is exactly the same thing I purchased for probably 3 times the price I am seeing online.

The document says I can cancel the warranty within 60 days for a full refund. Will I then be able to purchase it from one of the websites listed above?

Please help me.

Thanks
    K
    edited October 2012
    Definitely got ripped off @ $2300 -- that $100 deductible will also add up even if you have just a couple of repairs between 36k-100k miles (at that price you're better off keeping the $2300 on the side and paying for repairs out of pocket)

Just contact one of the online dealers to see what the procedure is and if Honda still allows it (I'm pretty sure they do) -- I think it may take a couple weeks for your cancellation to go through from the first dealer and then you'll be able to rebuy it (you might have to pay a $50-100 fee when rebuying but you'll still come out ahead, ask the online dealer to make sure)

You have 6 months/6k miles to buy the warranty at "new car" pricing, after that the price goes up a little and the 8yr option goes away -- you should have more than enough time to cancel & rebuy it within that time frame
    Definitely cancel. My HondaCare from Hyannis Honda for a new 2011 Honda Odyssey was $1295 for 8 years/120k miles, $0 deductible. That could have increased slightly since then (but it should be lower for a CR-V)...It's not that the dealer "ripped you off" it's simply that they charged retail instead of discounting it. By all means, cancel it and take you chances after the warranty (not a bad bet on a Honda) or buy the discounted HondaCare warranty if you plan to be a long-term owner!
  • brianNHbrianNH Member Posts: 5
    Or do what I did and let them have a chance to make it right. I had exactly the same situation back in 2009 on a new pilot. I called up my rep and said that I know the business manager misled me when he said that I had to buy the warranty "right now". I told him I clearly have 6 months or 6k miles and anything else is a lie. Then I told them what I could get the warranty for online (a Honda Care warranty, not a 3rd party) and that I intended to cancel the warranty unless I could get a fair price. They came back with a price that was $100 over what I could get for the 8year/120k/$0 deductable online. I figured $100 was worth the hassle of not cancelling and rebuying. Given the choice, I'm sure they will "take the unit" instead of nothing.

When I bought a used Accord earlier this year, I used my knowledge of the online pricing and told them straight up that I knew exactly what the true value is and negotiated the contract I wanted at a price I wanted. He said "well, I could use the unit anyway so what the heck".
    Exact same experience. I so wish I had read this post before going to the dealer last Saturday.

Cancelling the warranty after 3 days of buying the car, the process will take 3-4 weeks to refund the money, I continue paying interest on something I am not using, the APR remains and the same monthly payments which means now I need to finish off my payments 11 months earlier. I wish I had known this .. your experience sounds like my story.

Lots of lies, misleading, miscommunications. Lost $ and a lot of time.

CRV is great but the experience was so awful. Extremely disappointed
    thanks jatan, kenken and brianNH

brianNH, I did as you stated. I went to the dealer on Tuesday and wanted to cancel the warranty. They offered to match the EW price of the online dealers.

Everything went fine and as planned till this morning when I got a call from another Finance manager at the dealership saying they cannot match the price. So one more lie and miscommunication.

2 more trips to the dealer, more delays and waste of time.

Hopefully this is my last trip and I will never see those people again.
  • scraw33scraw33 Member Posts: 13
    Just wondering if you got all the answers you were looking for, my dealer tried to sell the 8/100k for over 2K, i widdled down to 1500 and took it knowing i had 60 days to get a full refund. After reading the forum, I'm probably going to offer less to the same dealer first before going elsewhere. I purchased a 2013 Accord EXL w/Nav and thought with all the new features, engine, and trans it might be a good idea. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
  • amberc727amberc727 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2007 Honda Odyssey today with 86,000 miles. Came home to look at options for extended warranties, but it looks like my van is one year too old! Any other options you all recommend? I've looked at the AAA extended warranty but I'm unsure about them.
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2013 Accord EXL w/Navi. I'm thinking about buying Honda Care for it with the 7yr/100,00 mi zero deductible. Anyone know who has the lowest price on line?
  • af_retiredaf_retired Member Posts: 1
    If you have a military background, check out www.valorwarranty.com. They have a special program.
    Again, I can only reiterate that I found the best price, after considerable research, at Hyannis Honda (you can google on Internet). I got a 120,000 mile - 8 year HondaCare $0 deductible for a new 2011 Odyssey EX-L for $1275.