Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Super Duty

ruzruz Member Posts: 59
edited March 2014 in Ford
This is for continued discussion of Ford Super
Duty trucks.

Comments

• ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    To read previous discussions, check out topic #159, Ford '99 Super Duty Delivery Issues.
  • gobrownfishgobrownfish Member Posts: 44
    Hey fellows, better have a roll call and see if
    we are all together. I found the change after
    being out of town for two days (must be the Davy
    Crockett in my blood). Anyhow monday will be
    15 weeks. Maybe I will get the record. Maybe
    my truck will beat the year 2000 model. Anybody
    heard if Ford will expand the colors or change
    the two tone scheme on next year models.
    Just touching base.....
    The brown fish man.
  • longhairlonghair Member Posts: 72
    I know you can't order the 'snowplow' package on a lot of the crew cabs. (Maybe Ford doesn't think anything that long is maneuverable enough?) But as I read it, you get all of the parts anyway when you choose the diesel, trailer, & camper packages. Take a closer look before you choose the v8 instead of v10. I'm not bashing the v8, just make sure you're picking an engine for the right reason - it's easier to add parts aftermarket than a motor.
  • mjemje Member Posts: 33
    Sorry gobrownfish,but, unfortunately I believe I
    will get the record. It was 16 weeks on Wed.
  • f150manf150man Member Posts: 42
    Funny you should mention colors offered by Ford. I spent a lot of time looking at colors before placing my order and I was not happy with the limited choices. (I ended up with White over Gold) While waiting the last two weeks for delivery my selective perception was able to pick out new Super Duties at 1/2 mile distance while traveling the Interstates. I almost drove off the road when I started seeing Super duties in colors that I know were not offered!!!!!
    Turns out Ford has adjusted the colors available and NOT reprinted the literature yet. There are so few SD on the lots it is difficult to see the choices in person. Get your dealer to do some research. Some of the colors from Expedition and other Fords models are now available.

Lastly, check out the Dec 21, 1998 issue of Business Week for a full color picture of the SUPER DUTY turned into a SUV that Ford is going to sell for $50,000 each!! Called EXCURSION.
    Thanks for the insight f150man, I too had a
    difficult time picking out a suitable color but
    am fortunate to be friends with the owner of
    Cho Cho Customs and he agreed to do a nice two-
    tone customization for near cost.
    I'm nearing the point that if this truck is going
    to be another month or two and I really don't have to sell my old truck till ready, then I might just wait another six months for the 2000
    year model and reorder. If I could find out any
    improvements or new options it would help me make
    up my mind. By the way, I talked to my dealer
    fri evening and he said Ford is so concerned with
    the delays that Ford is sending a "CARE LETTER"
    to everyone waiting. I almost told the dealer
    that I was not a starving Ethiopian, just a poor
    slob trying to get a new SD Truck, but I thought
    that was not in good taste, and I'm sure Ford is
    concerned and doing their best to get these orders filled. What I think is highly unfair is
    the priority larger dealers have over the smaller
    dealers. Can someone explain to me that a order
    placed Dec 1st at a large dealer should be built
    before a order say 8/14/98 from a smaller dealer.
    See, once you start bumping orders from a smaller
    dealer then the chain is hard to break. Each
    new order from a larger dealer will have priority
    over the smaller dealer and the fellow like my-
    self is waiting longer than others. Fellows,
    someone has to live in the rual areas but we have
    the same wants and needs of others.
    If anyone hears of new options or changes in the
    2000 model please post away, I would love to hear. Hope all has a great weekend.
    Gobrownfish
    I am starting to think like you. I will give it until the end of the year and then decide,but, by then I will have waited 5 1/2 months anyway so I could wait another 6 months and go with the 2000.
  • trap2trap2 Member Posts: 19
    If you hang a snowplow on any truck that does not have a snow plow prep package in the vin# you void the warranty.
  • casper47casper47 Member Posts: 17
    So if we all cancel our orders on the 99's and
    order 00's will we still be in the same boat?
    How do we know that the demand will not be as great then. If you wait for the 00's for 5 months then it would be near December 99 you could wait 6 more months and get a 2001. I am sure I will wait till the end of Feb. to think very hard on canceling the 99. Mine was ordered 8-7-98 and still has not been picked up by Ford to build. I am as impatient as any one else but the other 2 of the BIG 3 is not an option in my mind.
    Impatiently waiting and optimisticly hoping; Casper47
    Thats not really the case. When Dodge came out
    with their new model it was the same case for the
    first year and when orders were caught up by the
    second year model the lots were full of them.
    Ford intended for this to be a Super Duty Utility
    Truck that looked good, they did not expect the
    rush by people like me and others to want this
    truck to pull a boat or camper. Myself I think
    the SD looks like a truck and really don't like
    the new style of the F-150s.
    My point is this truck will be out a full year
    come feb or march and if I get a 99 SD the book
    value will be the same as if I had owned the truck
    one full year. So Ford will catch up on its orders and you will be able to order this truck
    soon with about a 4 week wait. Since I am in a
    position to wait a few more months if I must, then
    I was trying to find out if Ford was expanding
    their color scheme or their two tone scheme.
    Just a thought from the brown fish man.
    If you have been waiting over 3 months with no Vin # yet, it might be worth going to a larger truck dealer and asking what his lead time is. The allocation system was put into place to protect those dealers who always sold a lot of trucks, from the "car" dealers who rarely took orders for HD pickups. With the popularity of the Super Duty, those dealers who formally sold few HD trucks are getting a lot of action and the dealers who have traditionally sold lots of trucks have the juice to make sure Ford puts them in the front of the line.
    PS On the model change... it would be very unusual for Ford to make any changes the first year a truck is in production. If they had any changes to make... they would be "running changes" and not anything that would happen at the traditional time of year for model changes.
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Concerning hanging a snow plow on a truck that does not have a snow plow prep package. It is true you will void the warranty, but only that part of the warranty that the snow plow would affect, such as front end. You would not void the complete vehicle warranty.
  • trap2trap2 Member Posts: 19
    I was told it also voided the engine and drivetrain warranty.
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    gobrownfish,

I feel the same way you do about the color choices. For example: I thought originally the woodland green was more like the Explorer or Expedition shades of green. The choices really were disappointing. I choose the hunter which was more like a deep teal which I liked.

casper47,

The wait your going through now is ridiculous. I can not believe you did not have your order picked up by now. There has to be a more equitable solution for this dilemma between small and large dealers and allocation to waiting period ratio!!!

I wish you both the best!

Mroffshore
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I got mine at a small dealer -- no waiting. If you're not happy, I recommend going somewhere else. During negotiations I made it plain that time was more important than price (although I still got a great deal). My advice would be to find somewhere with no wait who'll get you the truck fast at a reasonable price. You're having to wait way too long IMO. Many dealers in this area (large and small) are quoting (and delivering) 5-6 weeks if there are no mechanical holdups (such as shortages).
    Stanford I believe you're right about waiting this
    long for the truck. This friday will be 15 weeks.
    This wed I will travel back to the dealer that
    gave me the next to best price (250 over invoice)
    and re-order but with some stipulations. I should
    have realized what was happening before this and
    got off my duff and made the move.
    Wandrr: My dealer told me 8 weeks too......
    Mroffshore: I'll shoot you a E-mail later...
    The Brown Fish Man
  • arrowhdarrowhd Member Posts: 8
    After reading the 600+ entries for Ford F-250 and the 200+ entries for Gas vs. Diesel. I'm ready to join the SD Club. I have made my choices and ordered my new truck today. 99 SD F-350 XLT 4X4 SC LB V10 Auto 3.73 LS.I have been driving GMC's for 15 years, but now I am a converted man. I am rancher and my trucks take a beating every day of the year, so I hope this SD will meet my expectations. Now the long wait for delivery.
    arrowhd,

Rancher, where? Please tell me!

Don't laugh Gobrownfish Man how else are we going to find places to bird hunt, besides it was your idea! Ok close, he may not be a Teacher in Kansas but he might be a Rancher out there! What a great way to break in my 7.3 PS! HAHAHAHAHA

Mroffshore
    Good move Mroffshore, good move.....

Arrowhd, welcome to the club. You wait may be
    much shorter than ours. Ford is running three
    shifts and catching up on orders.

The brown fish man.
  • gmacegmace Member Posts: 31
    Dear The Brown Fish Man,

I waited one day shy of eight months for a 4x4 F350 CC LB V10 Lariat. I hope you do not have to wait that long. It was worth the wait to get what we wanted, however. When asked about mileage, I say it costs me ten bucks more a week than my little turbo car did. Takes way longer to stop, but I can haul 4 dirt bikes, gear, trailer and racers comfortably.

I recommend the larger dealer with higher allocations if you can't wait. I think I could have received my truck in half the time by going with a dealer in Phoenix from what others have told me.
  • arrowhdarrowhd Member Posts: 8
    mroffshore
    I'm ranching in South Central Texas,northern Gonzales County. I remember reading you are a bird hunter. We used to have some doves here but there is hardly any farmland left, so the birds go a little farther south. There use to be quail here too, but the fire ants cleaned them out. I think the only game left around here are wild hogs and people are raising dogs specially for hunting hogs. I wish I had more to offer you.

gobrownfish
    Your info was encouraging. I've ordered from a small local dealer, but I think he can get his orders filled on time.He sells alot of trucks.
  • LanceLance Member Posts: 18
    Just some thoughts as I too wait for my F250 SD V10 4x4 CC Lariat here in CA.

1.) Does anyone feel that the length of time one needs to wait is related in any way to the negotiated price? That is, are dealers who have say $1,500 in profit awaiting them upon delivery any more likely to get the vehicle delivered faster?

2.) Anyone try to locate the exact truck they want through a car search company (new car broker or whatever you call those guys)?

3.) Did everyone who's waiting negotiate the price up front like I did?

4.) Did everyone leave about $200 deposit? (those of you that did leave a dept.)

5.) Did anyone still reading this list who did receive their truck find that the negotiated price changed when the truck finally arrived? Did anyone get the negotiated price in writing (and was the price honored)?

Lance
    The dollars of profit have no effect on the Factory.... they may cause the dealer to give preferential treatment to some other cusotmer... but that is hard to prove.
    I did not try to locate a built truck because I had so manyoptions I wanted I knew no dealer would have order such a truck "on spec" for the lot.
    All prices were negotiated and put into writing. If it isnt in writing... you dont have a deal.
    No deposit was required at my dealer.
  • dlamastrdlamastr Member Posts: 15
    Do I "need" a trailer tow package if I'm going to pull a 5th wheel with a SD F250 PSD 4x4 SB SRW CC? Just trying to polish up the specs on the truck I'm going to order in February (anticipating deliver in May/June timeframe).
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    Do you need one? No. But since it includes prewiring, and is cheap, why would you leave it off? You also get a transmission oil cooler, higher output alternator, et cetera.
    dlamastr,

You absolutely should spend the extra few $$ for the tow pkg. The stabilizer bar will give you a much better ride and help prevent the swaying you some times have with a tailer while in tow. I have it and I noticed a big difference in the handling of the truck on the highway. That is just my opinion.

Good luck,
    Mroffshore
    Your idea of a pool buy is not a bad one. I am now at 18 weeks. Got rid of my GMC two weeks ago and grouse season is over at the end of Dec., so it looks like I won't make it up to the north woods the rest of this year. Anyway , my patience is wearing thin. I am all for a web page, but it would be fun if sometime we could all get together after all the trucks come in.
    I'll check on a few things and get back to you.
    By the way, what city and state are you located,
    just in case we might can pull something off.
    I'm near the Tn - Ky line on I-75 and don't care
    a bit to travel a few miles for the right deal.
    Even a one way air fare ticket is cheap compared
    to what we've been through.
    Let me know...
    Gobrownfish.
  • dennis4dennis4 Member Posts: 47
    1) Maybe
    2) No
    3) Yes
    4) $1000
    5) No,Yes
  • casper47casper47 Member Posts: 17
    Good idea dennis4

(1) NO! Buildability and priority does.
    (2) NO, Too many options on mine also.
    (3) I did.
    (4) No not required at my dealer on this truck.
    (5a)N/A (5b) Yes and my bank had a copy faxed to them by the dealer also.
  • lemanslemans Member Posts: 43
    Checked on the progress of my truck yesterday and Ford says I should have it between Jan 4 and the 11th. This will be about 13 weeks. This last couple of weeks are begining to be hard to wait. The wife can spot a new SD on the interstate a mile away HAHA. I think she is more excided about getting one than me. She wants us to stop by a truck accessory place close to Little Rock and look at some accessories. I am going to take advantage of this while I can. don't know what I will get yet but you can be assured I will find something, maybe a bush guard and a winch. Christmas is here and while she is in the givining sprit, I will be like a kid in a candy store. Merry Christmas to All.
  • KEH4x4KEH4x4 Member Posts: 109
    1. I don't think that the price you pay effects the time of delivery.
    2. I went to several dealers looking for anything similar to what I wanted. Some of them called around looking for one for me. But nothing was close. I tried a locator service on the internet, and nobody ever called me back.
    3. I shopped ALL the dealers within a 50 mile radius (nine if I remember right) and shopped for Super Duty price, and my trade in (97 F150) value. The prices varied up to $3000 when you include my trade in into the deal. But most were within $1000.
    4. They wanted a $1000 non refundable deposit, but we settled on a $500 non refundable deposit.
    5. The dealership (Five Star Ford) tried to fleece an extra $900 out of me when I went to pick my truck up. I even had the price "Out the door" in writing. I kept refusing to pay the extra amount, so they gave me more for my trade in supposedly. About four days later they had my trade in advertised for about two and a half grand more than they gave me for it.
    Today some lady from the plant in Kentucky called to ask me a few questions about my Super Duty. When she asked if I had any complaints about anything on the truck, I said that I didn't like the power standard mirrors because they didn't have the wide angle (convex) mirrors on the passenger side like most vehicles have. It leaves a blind spot. I also told her that I didn't like the sun visors. On my way to work every morning, the sun shines between the inside mirror and the sun visor. If the sun visor was a closer fit to the mirror and a little different angle, it would be much better. My old 97 F150 had much better sun visors.
    Did anyone else get a call like this? If so, what did you complain about.
    -------------------------------------
    Also, I got to try out my antilock brakes today because some @$$hole in a Caddy pulled right in front of me. They worked fine, but the pulsing was a lot harder than the pulsing I used to get in my former F150.
  • lemanslemans Member Posts: 43
    since this will be my first diesel, is there anything special I should do for break in ? Alos has anyone used any of the syn. oil ?
  • longhairlonghair Member Posts: 72
    lemans' previous post mentioned looking for a brushguard and winch. I keep looking at the front end of the 7.3PSD and am trying to figure out how to put a winch there without blocking all the air intakes. Has anyone seen a pretty way to do it?
  • dadhartdadhart Member Posts: 2
    BOY AM I HAPPY.ORDERED F250 SD. CC. SB.V10.AUTO.3.73 XLT LARIET LOADED except no leather or captains chairs in HUNTER GREEN Placed order on AUG 29/98 AND RECEIVED VIN 3 WEEKS LATER TRUCK ARRIVED OCT.12 BUT COULD NOT TAKE DEL TILL OCT. 17 .I HAD A HARD TIME SLEEPING THAT WEEK. I HAVE 2400 KM. ON IT AND MY MILAGE IS AT 22.6 LITERS/100K OR 10.5 MPG.THIS IS CANADIAN MILAGE AND AM HOPING FOR A LITTLE INCREASE SOON BUT I MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT TILL SPRING SINCE OUR WEATHER IS AROUND -20 AT PREASENT.AS LIKING THE TRUCK IT IS THE GREATEST AND WELL WORTH THE DOLLAR PAID I AM NOT CONCERNED WITH FUEL MILAGE AS IT WAS BOUGHT TO PULL OUR 28.5FT. 5TH WHEEL TRAILER FOR MY RETIREMENT IN ABOUT 3 YRS.SO FAR HAVE ENJOYED THE RIDE /HANDLING/EASE OF DRIVING EVERY DAY TO AND FROM WORK BUT MOST IMPRESSED WITH THE POWER THE V10 HAS AND AM WAITING TO GET MY 5TH WHEEL HITCH IN AND TRY OUT THE TOWING .I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TRUCK FOR ANY BODY WHO LIES NICE THINGS THAT LOOK GREAT AND GOES LIKE HELL FOR A REASONABLE PRICE.THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION I USED BEFOR ORDERING OFF OF THIS LINE. SINC. AND HAPPY
    That Ford is taking a phone survey of satisfaction is great! Did she ask what you did like about the truck, or just complaints?
    If anyone else gets a similar call..... get her name and number.... maybe we can call her! Heck, if Ford just opened an Email address for Super Duties they would get a lot of great feedback.

Lemans.... Diesel break in... owners manual covers it well.... I am not using synthetic oils.

Longhair.... winch mount... you may have to extend the bumper out from its present position to make room for what you want to do.
    The survey only lasted about two minutes. She asked how I liked it, what I didn't like about it, and if I would recommend one to others.
  • Tim77Tim77 Member Posts: 3
    I have the SD PSD and lately since it has gotten cold outside (below freezing) the engine will increse its idle from 650rpm to 1000 rpm if I let it sit and warm up for five minutes or so. It goes back down the instant I hit the brake or throttle. As soon as it is warmed up it never does it again. Is this normal? I have had the rig since April and 9000 mi on it. I love it. The only other problem I have had is the rear end started leaking where the drive shaft enters and the dealer didn't have a seal in stock. It stopped leaking a few weeks later and hasn't leaked a drop since. Yes it is full of oil! I get a constant 17mpg city or highway but my highway is typically 70 MPH. I spent about an hour under my rig just after I got it an found two bolts that hold on the right front spring started but not screwed down. Mine is the 4wd and it does very well in the snow. Best machine I have ever owned.
  • dmscmsdmscms Member Posts: 5
    Does a bug deflector for the F250 Super Duty
    really do anything? Is it worth buying one?
    I like the look of the front end better without
    the bug deflector, but if it truly helps to keep
    rocks and bugs from hitting the windshield, I'll
    probably buy one.
  • bigfur1bigfur1 Member Posts: 34
    dmscms,
    The deflector will actually help to keep rock from chippin the paint on your hood more than keep them off your windsheild(eventhough i'm sure it helps their also).
  • sam17sam17 Member Posts: 8
    Tim - Noticed that my 99 F350, CC, Lariat, PSD, Auto did the same thing yesterday. The temp was 20 (F). First time I noticed any increased idle speed ever and was after a 2 mile drive to the store and then while idling. My wife's Contour SVT froze-up the parking brake cable while shopping.
    Sam
  • urban1urban1 Member Posts: 1
    Ordered my 250, CC, SD-PSD in March of 98. Kept receiving word from Ford that it had production holds. In July of 98, I gave up on the order and purchased one that was on the lot. It didn't have everything I wanted but decided to go with it anyway. RV season was 1/2 gone. This truck is the best Ford product that I have ever owned. I currently pull a 37' 5th wheel, weight is 13,400#. My 99 250 SD, PSD has now pulled this trailer over 14,000 miles in the last 4 months. I've yet to run into another vehicle that can keep up with this truck when pulling equal loads. It's been to Albq. NM. on I-40 and it hardly pulls down on the big hills. Had one trip with a 50 mph wind, this lowered the fuel mpg down to 7.5 mpg. Normally it will average 11 to 14 pulling the weight mentioned at 70 mph. When empty this vehicle will average 17 to 21 mpg on the highway. Best truck I've owned. Just punch in cruise control and the truck does the rest. Dodge and Chevy have a long way to go to out do this rig. Loyal to Ford's super duty power stroke, what a truck!!!!! Even my wife likes the truck.
  • RichRich Member Posts: 128
    urban1,
    What type of transmission and rear end ratio are you running. Those are very impressive mileage numbers. When you are towing are you mostly in cruise control?

Have you noticed any variance in mileage by the brand of fuel?

Rich
  • Tim77Tim77 Member Posts: 3
    Sam - Thanks for the response
    I started it up yesterday with the temp at 13 F and it jumped immediatly to 1000 RPM and after about a minute to 1300 RPM when I moved it out of the garage into 0 F air. I guess that computer figures it will warm up faster at higher RPM. I plugged it in this morning and makes a big differance.
    Urban1 - I enjoyed your comments as I intend to pull a 5th wheel in about one year but needed to get the truck now to get it paid off before I retire.
  • sd99sd99 Member Posts: 65
    Ordered a new 99 SD F250 4X4 on 10-26. The truck has been built and scheduled for delivery at the dealer 12-16. Today is the 22nd, no truck, dealer doesn't know where it is. Probably waiting for a rail car. Oh well, I can't complain, it sure did get built quickly, and I know some of you have and still are waiting a long time for your new SD. I hope everyone's SD comes in real soon and I'll let you know when I get mine.
    Ford announced the first recall of Super Duties... but so far it only applies to Motor Home Chassis.
    I think they mentioned cold weather causing the throttle to stick. This should not bother any of us with pickup bodies... but the info may be interesting to some.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    f150man

That's the third recall. The first two were back in June.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I played with my ESOF today on my way to and from work, mainly to see how it worked rather than for need. Temps here in Dallas were upper 20s and it started raining/drizzling around 3am. Besides the fact that Dallas driver's don't have much of a clue as to how to drive on ice, the bridges and overpasses were pretty treacherous. The roads were only wet, but the bridges were pure ice until the sand trucks got out. Every accident was by a bridge. It took me two hours to make my normal 30 minute commute this morning.

Anyway, just for the heck of it, I kept shifting in and out of 4x4 as I crossed the bridge. It wasn't exactly a huge test, but it shifted flawlessly and quickly, both in and out. The real test starts next week when I hit the highway north.
    To a great bunch of Super Duty fellows,
    wish you all a very Merry Christmas
    and a Happy New Year with your new toys.
    The Brown Fish Man.
This discussion has been closed.