Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• harryfatharryfat Member Posts: 132
    Hi, Andrew,

How did you get such low quote? I went to the web site and for a 10 year/100K miles warranty with $0 deductible, it's $1199 for me in CA. I know it's different cost by state, but the gap seems extreme to me.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Well, the $0 deductible was $579 for 10Y/100K and the $200 deductible was $279 for 10Y/100K with the Emerald-100 Plan. The Diamond 100 Plan (which covers just about everything) with $0 deductible for me was $899 (after $100 discount). I would have gone with the $899, but my wife insists that nothing will go wrong with the Odyssey and she initially said "No Way" to it until I told her about the $279 one. Basically, the plan I enrolled in will cover engine, transmission, and A/C (compressor, drain valve, etc.) which is what I worry about since these things will cost over $1,000 to repair or replace. I wonder what else can cost over $1,000 to repair?
    Actually the usual price was $379 and $679 (Emerald 100), but the Odyssey (and Sienna) just got the price discount (price cut due to reliability) of $100 which makes it now $279 and $579.
    And right now you should also get free Titanium Package (road side assistant, windshield dents, etc.) and Emissions Plan at no extra charge.
    Yeah, I think the post says the Honda Care Warranty (7Y/100K)is around $750-800, isn't it? So no way would I get anything above that!
    But I guess the only good thing with 1sourceautowarranty is the 10 years part, which will benefit me more since I will not be driving the Odyssey every day so I am more concerned with the years than the milleage. yeah, I cannot believe the price difference between California and Oklahoma.
    Andrew,

Thanks for the info. I went back to the web site and for your package that you mentioned, it's $200 more here in CA. Amazing how warranty costs can vary so much by state.

I haven't bought the Ody yet, still doing price comparison, but just was doing some prelim work on the warranty as I'm sure the local dealer will try to sell me one, so it's better to know ahead of time what third party warranty would cost.
  • med28med28 Member Posts: 17
    well, I got the ex-dvd for 28,200. Now he wants to add 7/100,000 warranty for 1395. It started at 1795. Also, the interest rate started at 5.7 and now all of the sudden got to 4.24. I see others saying 700-900, though.
  • mikeinnymikeinny Member Posts: 2
    We're looking to buy a 2001 LX. At this point, the dealership will charge an extra $500 to upgrade the Ody to a Honda Certified. That would make it $19,300. (I've posted another question to the "Prices Paid" board about whether that's a good price.)

My question here is: Is buying a Honda-certified Ody enough coverage, or should we investigate whether an extended warranty is an option, to cover the million items not covered by Honda Certified.

I'll confess I don't know whether a used, err, pre-owned Ody with 47K is even eligible for an extended warranty.

Enlighten us, pls.

Thanks all.

Mike
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    Did you buy the Honda Care Warranty anyway for that much money? I wouldn't pay more than $800.
    You can get 3.99% finance from PeopleFirst.com on the internet.
    Well, we have the quote for the vehicle and placed a deposit. I have been calling daily for a price on the Honda warranty after doing research here for the past week. I'm still waiting to hear back and getting a little upset. Feel like I'm getting blown off. So, tomorrow is it. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow and I have other financing at peoplesfirst with a better APR and a warranty thru another dealer, if needed.
  • joyluckjoyluck Member Posts: 2
    Hi, canesfan4ever, you have got a very good deal. Could you post the contact info of the local dealer you got the deal from ? Thank you !
    No ways am I an expert at this warranty thing as I just bought my Ody few weeks ago. But I believe you can still get warranty up to 7 years/100K on the regular extended Honda Warranty.

No idea what the pre own "certified" Honda warranty policy is. have you asked them for a copy of both contracts and see the difference in coverage?
  • joyluckjoyluck Member Posts: 2
    Hi, canesfan4ever, you have got a very good deal. Could you post the contact info of the local dealer you got the deal from ? Thank you !
  • nybudnybud Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking at the honda care 7y/100k/$0 warranty. so far i only know of the hondawarranty web site that gives a quote online.
    it runs $1135 and take off anywhere from $75 to $95 depending on when you check it (and entering a promotional code emailed to you)

I have heard people talking about the price range of $800-ish for the hondacare, and canesfan4ever doing even better. Anyone want to name any links or places where you can do under $1000?

Thanks.
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    OK, I am trying to put some kind of a spreadsheet together on HOPING to compare the ext warranty offered by Honda, 1Source and warranty direct.

What would you guys like to see on this spreadsheet? I am confused on what to put down. The last thing I want to do is have a 100 page report on this thing.

So I thought maybe you guys can help me out and tell me what information would help each of you in comparing the warranty.

Please note I am doing this for my 2003 Ody. I can't look up all the information in regards used, or older Ody's that may not fall into this category. However, I still hope the information I come up with will somehow help you still.
    When I was comparing them recently I basically looked at what was in the exclusions. Then I looked at the "extras", like the roadside assistance, rental, dent repair, etc. Just a side note, but if you use www.carbuyingtips.com as a reference for 1source (I think) you can get the emmisions coverage included if I recall correctly. I will have to go back and review the paperwork to be sure. Ultimately, we went with honda care after our original quote went from $1800 to half that from the dealer when I found a price match.
    Here is my problem with Honda Warranty. One is very expensive. Two only up to 7 years. Someone pointed that at least with Honda Warranty, they will cover the RES.

I also expect most problems to arise from years 8 - 10. Does anyone know if we can extend the warranty or not?
    That is correct. The Honda will cover only up to 7 years and 100,000. The third party ones do not cover the DVD which we have, which also persuaded us to use Honda's. I also got the honda warranty for less that either 1source or warranty direct.
    Sorry, dude,

No Extension on a warranty. What you think this is? 1040 tax return where you file an extension?

I asked the Honda people before on what to do after 7 years and they told me 7 years is it. They assume people turn over their car by then. Obviously you and I are the in the minority...

The only option I can think of is we can "roll over" to another carrier from Honda after year 7 for the remaining 3 years, but the cost to cover the last 3 years of the van is very high.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Not sure you'll find any comapny that covers engine, tranny, etc. for 10 years beyond the 100k mile mark. No matter the manufacturer, parts break after a while. I'm sure you may be able to find somethng but my guess is the cost would be prohibitive.
    I'm looking at the 1 source coverage for 10 years/100K as we don't drive it much (daily drop off the kids at day care/pre school of whopping 10 miles roundtrip), so for me the importance is years 8 to 10 on the possible breakdowns of the automatic sliders as that will get lots of use with various short trips. Anyone has any good/bad experience with 1 source to pass on? Thanks.
  • ragtopragtop Member Posts: 35
    I think it's time. Yesterday I tried to close the
    power side door and it stopped closing half way.
    Pulling the handle or using the remote did not close it. I had to use the switch on the dashboard. Well anyway, this convinced me that this car has too many things that can go wrong, and I am shopping for an extended warranty. I do have the DVD, so I want a warranty that covers this too.

Med28, where did you get you warranty for under $1K ?
    LAPVN, did you ever create that spreadsheet. I would be very interested in it.

Any help that anyone wishes to supply will be greatly appreciated.
    Never bothered to finish the spreadsheet since it was only a few lines. It is easier to compare them by looking at the EXCLUDED items.
    Here is my 2 cents (literally);

Honda Warranty
    Pro - includes DVD, but in 5 years you probably wouldn't mind this thing breaking down so you can upgrade to a better system. And if you did want the same, it would not cost that much.

Con - Only goes to 7yr. This is a big deal for us, since the van is only for weekend use, so mileage will be very low. We assume that the majority of the problems appear during years 8-10. And by year 10, we hope to be ready again to buy our senior citizen car. :)

1Source
    Pro - Goes up to 10 years. And also has the usual Emission (Titanium package) free. Not sure if Honda covers these items.

Con - Doesn't cover DVD, How sure are we these guys will be around. How sure are we that they will come up to bat when repairs are needed, and not try to weasel their way out.
    Does anyone have any PERSOANAL knowledge of someone using 1source, and actually having no problems getting anything fix. I don't want to see an article, I want to know that your friend, your father, your neighbor, or whoever actually got away with a repair scott free.
  • acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    there shouldn't be any issue over which warranty to get - go for the Honda. They are now selling under $1000 for the 7/100K warranty that covers everything, and serviced by honda. An extra 3 years/30K is nice, but remember every time you take it in to get it fixed there is going to be a conversation between the garage and the insurance company over getting paid, etc. . .before the work is done.

Additionally, it is a good bet that Honda will be around in 7 years ;). 1stsource or any of the others - I would not hold my breath. These companies go out of business all the time.

Save yourself some worry and anguish and go buy the Honda warranty.

Adam
  • ragtopragtop Member Posts: 35
    Just called my local Honda Dealer. The first quote for a honda extended warranty is $1354 for 0 deductible and $1094 for $50 deductible. 7yr/100K
    Adam,

I agree with everything you say as the pros of the Honda warranty. Lapvn and I have talked many times on this.

Here's my dilemma. By years 8/9/10 when I know I'll still be driving the van and when something breaks down, with Honda care, I know I am on my own. No coverage possible after 7 years and day 1. With 1 source, I may or may not get service approved. So the question is do you go with the certainty you know you are out of luck (Honda) or maybe you might get lucky (1 source). Risk in both cases.
  • acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    You are right on risk but, factor into your risk equation that the 'extra' benefits you are seeking (after 7 years) may never be used - you could total the car, it is stolen, you could sell/trade it, etc. You are in essence equating a potential future risk (one that may never occur and if it does is many years down stream) to one that may occur day one, which greatly increases the risk, imo.

Adam
    Obviously I have no way to control the unknown risk of theft/vandalism on the van. But I was told you get pro rated portion of the warranty back on the time you no longer own the vehicle if it's stolen/totaled. But I have no doubt I won't get all of the money back.

As for selling/trading, I can almost guarantee that will not happen. I have only owned 2 cars since the 70's. Still driving the 93 Civic today. I drive my cars to the ground and then donate. So unless it's such a piece of lemon that's sucking $$ out (in which case warranty is a definite must), I have no doubt I will have the van for many years to come.

Here's my calculation: through other contacts, I got quotes for Honda Warranty for 7 years/75K (per my post 75 above, we don't drive long distances) for $675. 1 source with 10 year/100K coverage is $1000 or so. So for me, the price gap $325 for 3 years is a question of risk assessment. If things break by year 8/9/10, would it be major expenses or it'll be more of the wear and tear? So do I "self insure" at the cost of $108 per year or not?

These and many other questions which I still don't have answers for. Given I just bought the van 3 plus weeks ago and having paid my income taxes, I'm in no hurry to decide one way or another. But sooner or later I need to pull the trigger and sort through these questions. That's why lapvn is asking for people's help in his post 78 as we're both recent Ody owners that one day will need to buy some form of warranty.
    Your email is not public in your profile, but if you'd like to email me I can give you the info.
  • pv2002pv2002 Member Posts: 1
    Could someone post info of where i can find info on the best rate to be paid for a Ody EX for a 7/100 extended warranty and also any links for this.
  • kiehlkiehl Member Posts: 5
    My experience shopping the dealers for the 7yr/100K 0 Deductible showed a large variance dealer to dealer. I picked mine up for $960. I felt good about that. The highest I was quoted was $1475. That was ridiculous.
    I too found varying quotes. The first one started at $1700 for the 6 yr warranty. After using information found here and other forums I got 7/100,000 for $900.
  • yabo44yabo44 Member Posts: 5
    Re: #83 harryfat:
    You state in your message that you found the Honda Care Extended Warranty 7/70K/0 for $675. Would you post that info. I've only gotten quotes that are over $1200. I just got my EX. I know I'll need the extended warranty with those power side doors. I also keep my cars forever. Just replaced my 1990 Grand Voyager. I don't think I would trust a 3rd party warranty even if it offers 10 years. You know there will always be a Honda Dealer at the end of 7 years. No guarantee on 3rd party companies. They could disappear after only a year or 2, keep that in mind.
    Hi,

It's been so long ago since I posted that, I had forgotten what I wrote.

I'm not sure Edmunds will allow me to have a link to another web site, so what I'll do is open my personal profile showing my email address and then you can just email me and I can tell you off the board where I got my info.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Is it true that the HondaCare Warranty does NOT cover the power doors? I have an option for the 7/100000/$0 for $910... Not sure if I should try to get a different warranty that covers the doors...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
    FWIW - The dealer closest to my house (Burnsville, MN) said that the power doors are NOT covered by the HondaCare warranty. Then again, he wanted to sell me the API warranty (which does cover the doors!).

Come on Scully, the truth is out there...

Can anyone elaborate on the facts? Let us know...
  • shifterkartshifterkart Member Posts: 10
    >Can anyone elaborate on the facts? Let us know...

Yes, the power doors are covered. Check it out on this link. Look under electrical and it's right under "Antenna Mast and Motor"

http://www.hondawarranty.com/ie/cov.cfm
    Here is my problem with these warranty, yes/no the power sliders are not covered.

Anything breaking down due to normal wear and tear is not covered. Makes sense for items like, brakes and tires.

Here's the situation, if the door breaks down, is there a part inside that the dealer or insurer will say, "oh the power slider is broken due to part X's normal wear and tear, therefore you Mr. Ody owner, you have to pay for this."

I have the same feeling for lets say the Power Windows.
    I am worried that these power sliders will break down some time. Then I also have to think about my 10 year old Integra, how many times has the Power windows gone out on me....Zilch,none.

Does this make me feel confident about the power sliders, NO.
    Does this solve the Ext. Warranty dilemma, NO.

Am I more confused, YES
    Harry, About the extended warranty. What do you know about the power door coverage? Tried to check for your e-mail address, it's not in your profile. Contact me, my e-mail address is in my profile. Thanks, Bob
  • bbhavsarbbhavsar Member Posts: 8
    I have read the post a long time ago with this information but I can not find it now...

I have 2001 Odyssey with 32,000 miles on it. I am interested in buying 7yr/100k/0 deductible genuine Honda Extended warranty, mainly because of rear sliding doors. They have been repaired twice already.

Any one has either link or e-mail/contact for dealer who is selling it at lowest price? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks
    Just ringing in for Harry, he probably wont be around for a while, expecting a rug rat any day now.

Maybe Steve can help us out with the info?
    I looked it up under Honda Warranty, they do specifically cover the power sliders. Though it is different wording.

Under electrical, they say "POWER DOORS" are covered. I don't see any other motorized doors so I have to assume that these critters are covered.
    I called HondaCare and asked what is covered as far as the power doors are concerned. His (Dave's) explanation was as follows: "It is easier to define what is NOT, covered - the ROLLERS and the HANDLES are NOT covered - all other parts of the door fall under the HondaCare warranty."

Hope this Helps!
    Is that to say that the two parts have been target as the most causes for slider problems and that is why they are not covering it.

How are we suppose to prevent this from happening?

That is like saying since we use the seat belts everyday they wont cover it and that it falls under wear and tear. Maybe I am just venting.

Sorry about that, it just doesn't seem right.
  • timrmetimrme Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, much like bbhavsar above I have a 2001 Ody with about 34,000 miles on it. I need to find an extended warranty sooner rather than later, any suggestions re: the best place to find Hondacare? Also has anyone had problems and/or found solutions to the lousy backup light situation. Between my wife, daughter and I we have all managed to do minor damage to the back when backing up due to inadequate lighting. I installed a backup light that helped some but Honda really needs to consider making the lights brighter in the first place.

At any rate what I really need right now is warranty information. Thanks for the help!
  • jminorjminor Member Posts: 13
    Email me at julieminor@yahoo.com and I'll give you a lead with very good prices for the HondaCare ext. warranties.
    I never was able to get your e-mail address. Please e-mail me at yabo44@yahoo.com with ext warranty info. I think I only need the 7yr/70K/0 because I don't put a lot of mileage on my cars, but I do keep them a while. Had a 90 Grand Voyager as my main car, until I bought my 03 Ody.
    I'm also looking for the rear well insert. Do you have info for a good third party accessories dealer? Thanks for your help.
    Harry will probably wont be spending too much time here right now for personal reasons. The 7/70/0 Hondacare warranty are going for around $675. As for the cargo tray, if you are in the North East try your hand at hondaacuraworld.com if West cost try handa-accessories.com they both offer same pricing for actual Honda parts.
  • jtjackson33jtjackson33 Member Posts: 17
    My 2001 Odyssey is within 1000km of the original warranty (60,000 km). I am debating which of the Honda Care warranties to get. I had no idea that you can get different pricing on these extended warranties - I thought it was all just priced from Honda Canada. Any Canadians out there to comment on what they have done (and where they got the best deal)?
  • drdan4cdrdan4c Member Posts: 2
    The new Honda Care DOES cover the power doors. I am
    responsible for the Honda Care at my dealership. My information is accurate.
  • robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    when it comes to buying your Honda Care Package. Read the posts under this thread carefully and you will realize that Honda Care is just as negotiable as MSRP.

I fault Honda for permiting its dealers to get away with this outrageous scam. One would think that this important item would have standard list pricing among its dealers as does its vehicles, but it apparently does not. Your friendly dealer can suggest any price or term/mileage limits/deductible or $0 deductible he desires desires and present it to you as the only plan available, with a 7year term the max and 100k miles the max. The price differential between the plans is understandable, but not the price difference between dealers.

This is a easy way for a dealer to recover profit after you have arrived at a price at or close to "invoice" and are euphoric about your negotiating skills.

If you cancel your overpriced Care deal within 60 days, you will get your money back but you can not buy a competitively priced plan from another Honda dealer for your new purchase. Yes other plans are available outside of Honda but seem to be looked upon with somewhat less confidence than the Honda plan.

If you are wise, you will concentrate as much on the Honda Care pricing as you do on getting as close to invoice or below in your negotiations.

It is well worth your time!