Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• dalobodalobo Member Posts: 1
    Im new to this board, and not sure how it works exactly... I am used to forms.. anyway

I am looking at buying a 03 Civic EX, my first Honda, with 45391 miles on it. All these sites listed on this board (jayhondacare.com for example) that sell HC EW say I have to many miles on it to get it yet I see people telling other people with more miles on there cars to buy a HC EW. How is this possible??? And if they sell ones for used cars, how much more will they cost? Where do I get them?

I want a 6/100,000 mile warranty. If I am understanding right that six years would start from the date I buy the EW, not the cars year and that the 100,000 miles is total Odomiter reading. Is th is correct?

Thanks!
    Dalobo
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Too many miles on that car.

Before 09/01/2005 the limit was 42k miles, now it is 36k miles (note that some dealers might date your contract 8/31 to get a car under the wire). The 45k on the Civic you are looking at is too many in any case.

I guess the good news is that Civic MUST have been highway miles, right? To get so many so quick? Those are typically easier on the car than city miles.

Dennis
  • rbevz67rbevz67 Member Posts: 69
    Looks like the new plans now include oil changes and tire damage...stuff that used to be covered under the Sentenial plan at an exta cost
  • rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    "Looks like the new plans now include oil changes and tire damage..."

Watch those "tire damage" provisions. If it's a prorated arrangement, it's usually prorated from an inflated "adjustment price" that's significantly more than the same series tire would cost at any tire shop that carries that brand. Prorated battery adjustments are also subject to those shananigans. When my '96 Accord's original Delco battery tanked (shorted cell) with seven months to go, my Honda dealer's adjustment price after prorating was still $27.00 more before installation costs than I payed outright for a higher capacity Delco battery that included installation at a local tire/alignment shop that carried batteries as a sideline. (I had to call AAA to come to the dealer to give me a jump - the dealer weanies wouldn't even extend me that small courtesy!)
    Scratch my post..I think Im mistaken
    Big Ups to Dennis for this find. I think Im going to the 7yr/100k/0 for 746 (saving me about 125 from CollegeHills) but I want to see what they can do for 8yr/120k/0. Ill post the price if they offer it...hoping it's around $950!
  • cindy4cindy4 Member Posts: 19
    Concerning Warranty prices - pricing for discretionary items are generally set by the consumers; price it too high and no one will buy your product. What happens is that a happy medium is arrived at when the seller (Honda) is making a reasonable profit and the consumer (Honda Odyssey owners) believes they are getting a good value. Capitalism at its best!

In every state EXCEPT Florida, a 7 years/100,000 miles warranty for a Honda Odyssey via the internet is going for about $1050 which indicates its fair market value. However, in Florida and because of the “protection of its citizens” by the Florida Insurance Commission which DOES NOT ALLOW purchasing this warranty from out of state Honda dealers, Floridians are forced to pay $1880 or $800 MORE for the same product for our local dealers. This was the price I found when calling at several dealers last week.

For all non-Floridian Odyssey owners, raise your hand if you would be comfortable paying the higher amount for the same warranty…didn’t anyone hear me?…..I’m not seeing any raised hands. Of course you wouldn’t as the market has already established the price; around $1050 for a 7 years/100,000 miles warranty.

I would consider paying a grand for this warranty but paying much beyond this amount indicates a HUGE PROFIT for the dealer and a HUGE GOUGE for the consumer. For this Floridian Odyssey owner, I am keeping my $2,000 in my pocket. I would recommend other Odyssey owners living in Florida do the same.

By the way, for those who have paid for this warranty at the dealer in person, did you charge you tax? Florida does (perhaps more salt on the wound.)
    I hear the same complaints from all Honda car and motorcycle owners who live in Florida. Love to get a plan, but some Florida law says they can't be discounted.

I ASSUME it is some law to protect all the elderly from being taken by some scam or other, but I am not really sure what the logic is behind it or the reasons for it.

If I were a Florida resident, I would spend some time finding the law that denied me a discount and set about getting it fixed if I could.

Dennis
  • rhaeffelerhaeffele Member Posts: 149
    What ... about ... ordering the extended warranty online for "delivery" to your new location in another state (conveniently the same address as a relative you'll be living with until your new house is ready for occupancy) and then conveniently "moving" back to Florida because your spouse couldn't take the climate? I question whether the Florida law had anything to do with really protecting the elderly unless the "elderly" are the established insurance interests in that state looking to maintain a legislature-sanctioned extortion lock on Floridians.

(Children, can you say, "soft money campaign contributions"?)
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    cindy4,

Could you provide a link about that Florida law? I live in NY and could potentially purchase a Honda Care warranty some time within the next year, after which I will be a resident of FL. I would be interested in understanding whether my coverage would be impacted.
    Hi,

I was wondering what the best price anyone has found for a Honda 4cyl accord sedan 8yr/120k/$0 hondacare plan. I found $1055 @ college hills honda. Has anyone seen chaeaper???

Thanks!
    Chris
  • scoobydooxpscoobydooxp Member Posts: 14
    hondawarrantyinfo said they should be set with the new HondaCare prices tomorrow. I'd wait atleast to see what they have to say.

I'm in the same boat. Just got the Wife an '05 Honda Accord 4cl today and looking for an extended warranty. The dealer wanted me to buy some third party warranty 6yr/75k/$0 for $1700. Thanks to this board, I knew to stay away.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    I've lived in FL for the past 24 years. The Florida Insurance Commissioner regulates prices of vehicle extended warranties not to protect just the elderly but every citizen (state resident or not) who purchases a vehicle and extended warranty in Florida to avoid haggling, gouging, undercutting and yes, good ole' Uhmerkin competition on what is truly an insurance policy. This prevents a state wide no holds barred Geico-Roman (+5 pts for blending these terms) wrestling match. Each dealer must charge the same for identical coverage and register those prices with the commish or heads roll , huge fines are assessed, charges filed, etc. Other states honor FL polices, but no out of state dealer can sell one to you if you reside in FL. I believe if you move here it voids any out of state warranty but you may be able to get a prorated refund.

I like the way it is handled here as it keeps the players honest, a rarity among car dealers, some of whom pose as consumers on forums just like this. Just so you know, it does NOT jack up the prices beyond reason. I'm buying an '06 Ody Touring in GA and if I want an extended Hondacare warranty I have to get it locally before 15K miles or I get a used vehicle warranty. As of today, in FL, a 6 yr, 100K mile zero deductible Hondacare OEM extended warranty costs $1,530. It makes no difference if I buy it in Pensacola or Miami; same Honda coverage = same price. Programs go up to up to 8 year, ZD, 120K miles and that is just over $2K or down to about $600 for something like 5/60, $100 ded. Like any other state, length and deductibles vary relative to price. Regarding the salty wound of tax on warranties, yes, we pay it,so what, 6% here. We also don't pay income tax and from what I've seen online, we are only paying slightly more than the risk of, "what's it gonna take to get you to drive away today with the peace of mind yet you have a worthless aftermarket warranty that makes me rich?" other states are subject to. This Floridian likes big brother looking out for my well being, don't knock it until you're been ripped off like one poster in this string (msg #572). Dealers still make money on both OEM and aftermarket programs here so this remains a viable yet equal sales tool for all. Soap box now stowed, thanks.
    To each his or her own.

You do yourself a disservice, however. Obviously you are an educated consumer and you don't NEED the state to watch your back. You could save $500 or more on the warranty if your state didn't have this law. So while it may save SOME folks some money it costs YOU - the educated consumer - money and there is nothing you can do about it.

I would never buy a Saturn because I don't want a "one price" deal. I DEPEND on those before and after me to pay too much, then the dealer can afford to give ME a super deal. If I have to buy a one price car I will pay more than I would if I can deal.

To your way of thinking the state (AKA Big Brother) probably should pass a law and mandate all cars should be sold for MSRP? That way dealers could not over charge for them?

While it may help some folks, the smart shoppers like you are just paying way too much.

Dennis
    Any word on prices on the Honda Care 8yr/120K/$0 from hondawarrantyinfo.com?

I'm still waiting for a reply from them...
    Still waiting to hear back. Will post when i hear something.
    Did you try calling them? The number is right on the web page - which has not been updated to show the new prices and warranties.

BTW, these folks were NOT always the cheapest - just in the last few weeks when they were "blowing out" the prices did they become the best . Prior to that HondAcuraWorld or CollegeHills or other places had better prices. So no guarantee that Bernardi will be the best price - once they get around to posting the price.

Dennis
    www.hondacuraworld.com has the 8yr/120K/$0 for $1025.
    please post a link. i only see an 800 # on their site. guy quoted 1295 on the phone for a 2005 4cyl accord
    Odd, their worker on AIM quoted me $1025.
    guy on the phone didn't know i was online so he probably gave me a highball price. silly salesmen!
  • useddivicuseddivic Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a used (non-certified) 2003 civic (31400 miles) from the local Acura dealership. They offered me an extended warranty, but I wanted to compare prices. However, I didn't know that Honda was changing its policy for extended warranties. I have looked at several of the websites mentioned here, but most of them will not provide quotes for 2003. Does anyone have any suggestions for internet sites? I'm going to call the local dealerships tomorrow. Thanks!!!
    Ask someone to back-date the contract. If they're cool they may help you out.
    $976.00 from hondawarrantyinfo.com. I will be ordering it in the morning.
  • cyninhicyninhi Member Posts: 18
    With the new change made to the Honda Care would it be wise to purchase the warranty now or later? We purchased a brand new Odyssey EX with DVD about three weeks ago and have about 1000 miles on it. Should I wait until right before 6000 miles or get it now? I know that I will purchase it, just don't know when I should. I do want the $0 deductible.

Thanks for any advice on this,
    Cyn in HI
    Cyn,

Not familiar with the warranty changes but I'm curious what happens at 6,000 miles? In FL, I'm told the magic number when we switch over to a used vehicle extended warranty is 15K. This could be a state, not Honda requirement. Since I'm getting an Ody too I'd like more info on the recent Honda Care changes, will check with local dealer. They told me earlier the extended warranties just keep the OEM in place longer, nothing more, nothing less, except rental care and towing coverage from day 1.
    Dennis,

Good points. Some regulation isn't always bad. Taking it to extremes like state mandated MSRP sales is going too far. I agree with you in that those consumers savvy enough to drive for good deals (like us) should be entitled to do so without restriction on the vehicle and warranty. I just don't mind that the commish is peeking over my shoulder to keep prices in check. This keeps dealer from selling high profit aftermarket warranties not at good as Hondacare/OEM for premium prices to uneducated consumers simply because they are excellent salespeople. I do wish the auto industry would post or at least make consumers aware of the cost of these warranties OUTSIDE the finance office! Dealers thrive on making you sweat the 'what ifs' at closing time while touting the flawless quality of their products before and after. Those that are weak become vulnerable at this critical phase, not me. Oversight keeps folks from making a costly mistake that is outside standard price norms. I appreciate and respect, and in some ways support your point of view. If we weren't on top of this stuff, we too could be ripped off.
    i spoke with Honda corporate customer service and they said the only change between the new and old HC plans are the length and restriction on when you can get it (6000mi for $0 deductible).

HC is not a true bumper-2-bumper, but covers just about all major components. You won't be able to take your car in for rattles free of charge during the extended period, but trans and other parts essential to a working car are covered...just take the time to read the thing before you buy so you know exactly what you're getting.
    Well, the prices (for similar $0 deductible plans) are now around $50 higher than before 9/1/2005 - so unless you need the 8th year or 120k mile plans the time would have been last month :)

I USED to always advise folks to wait until right before 24 months or 24k miles to buy, since you would get more back on pro-rated should you cancel the plan and there was no extra price penalty. I can't do that now - if your Honda gets more than 6,000 miles on it then you are stuck with a $100 deductible plan only.

In your case, how long will it take to get to 6,000 miles? For most folks that will not take long and the difference between buying now and in a few weeks will not be much should you cash out the policy way down the road. If it is going to take you months to put that many miles on, then you could wait.

I picked up policies for my new Hondas last month from Bernardi before the prices went up and they still appear to be the cheapest ones around. "Who knows" if they will have these cheap prices when you get to 6k miles. Unless it is going to take you a LONG time to get to that point I would get it now while the price is cheap.

Dennis
    Biggest difference is $100 deductible VS $50 and cars with more than 6k (and 2004 or newer) can no longer get the $0 plan.

It looks like Bernardi is still the cheapest by a little bit, but the price has gone up. It looks like pre-9/1 VS now you get 5k more miles on the 7/75k/$0 plan but pay $50 more for the coverage. The $100 deductible plan sells for more money than the old $50 plan. For us low mile types, the 8th year is available but at a very steep price. Heck, even for high mile types the 8th year is pretty expensive - but you now can go to 120k and get the 8th year if you need it.

2005 CR-V
    Old Price:

7 years/75,000 miles warranty: ($50 deductible = $566.00) OR ($0 deductible = $631.00)
    7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($50 deductible = $741.00) OR ($0 deductible = $806.00)

New Price:

7 years/80,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $581.00) OR ($0 deductible = $681.00)
    8 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $836.00) OR ($0 deductible = $936.00)

2005 Accord I4:

Old Price:

7 years/75,000 miles warranty: ($50 deductible = $511.00) OR ($0 deductible = $571.00)
    7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($50 deductible = $686.00) OR ($0 deductible = $746.00)

New Price:

7 years/80,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $521.00) OR ($0 deductible = $621.00)
    7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $696.00) OR ($0 deductible = $796.00)
    7 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $796.00) OR ($0 deductible = $896.00)
    8 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $776.00) OR ($0 deductible = $876.00)
    8 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $876.00) OR ($0 deductible = $976.00)

2005 S2000:

Old Price:

7 years/75,000 miles warranty: ($50 deductible = $721.00) OR ($0 deductible = $766.00)
    7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($50 deductible = $1,111.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,186.00)

New Price:

7 years/80,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $716.00) OR ($0 deductible = $816.00)
    8 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,216.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,316.00)

Keep in mind you have to buy with under 6k miles to get the new $0 plan or you are stuck with the $100 deductible plan.

Dennis
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    How did you get these figures from Bernardi? Is there a web link? I bought my 2005 Pilot about 3 months ago and it has 4000 miles on it. I also bought the 7yr/100K mi/ $0 ded then for $1150. I may be interested in upgrading to the 8 yr/120K mi/ $0 ded Honda Care, and I was curious as how much they would charge for it and how much I would lose on cancelling the current plan.

Thanks in advance,

Spyderred.
  • spyderredspyderred Member Posts: 138
    Thanks, I got a quote of $1281 for $0 ded and $1181 for $100 ded. This is for 8yr/120K mi for a 2005 Pilot with less than 6000 miles on the Odometer.

Spyderred.
    They should really allow online ordering. They dont seem to return calls and are rarely available.
  • dads3boysdads3boys Member Posts: 3
    I had bought the hondacare ext warranty from dealer 7/75/0 for $1450(originally quoted me $1845) because I was told I could only buy at car purchase time only. Can I cancel & buy from someone else & how does my monthly payments get adjusted? Does the extended warranty replace the given 3/36000,I plan on keeping the car over 5 years with low mileage,but worried about any service issues.I know I should get the extended warranty but should I get it now or cancel & wait to buy later. I just bought it last Saturday. Please advise on what to do & where to buy,very confusing. Bought it for peace of mind.
  • dads3boysdads3boys Member Posts: 3
    I bought the 5 yr warranty on the flat run Pax tires for $299. I am told hondacare doesn't include this, is this correct-should I have bought this or did I just throw money away????
    Yes, you can (and should) immediately cancel your HondaCare policy - since you paid way too much - unless you live in Florida you can get a cheaper price.

Right now, http://www.hondawarrantyinfo.com (Bernardi) seems to have the best price. But you should check there, HondAcuraword, CurryHondaCare, CollegeHillsHonda, etc in case they have a better price.

Right now for a new 05 Ody with less than 6k miles on it Bernardi's web page shows:

7 years/80,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $696.00) OR ($0 deductible = $796.00)
    7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,001.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,101.00)
    7 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,101.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,201.00)
    8 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,081.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,181.00)
    8 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $1,181.00) OR ($0 deductible = $1,281.00)

So for the $1,450 you paid for a 7/75k/$0 you could have an 8/120k/$0 and nearly $200 more in your pocket.

The "rules" for HondaCare say you can cancel within the first 30 days for a full refund. If you financed the HC plan (as you seem to have done) then it is up to the bank how the refund it done. Some have posted here that with Honda Financial it comes off the back end of the loan - in other words you keep paying the same payment you have now but there will be fewer of them at the end of the loan (to reflect the refund). Other banks my handle it differently and reduce your payment.

The number for Honda Care is: 1-800-999-5901

Dennis
    I think I would see if you can cancel that one as well. Yes, tires are not covered under the HondaCare or new car warranty but this is sure expensive. The PAX tires are new so I don't know what the replacement cost per tire would be from a discount dealer like TireRack, but $300 for a tire warranty sure sounds high to me.

Dennis
  • cindy8cindy8 Member Posts: 5
    Yes, spending some time to "getting it fixed" makes sense but my pockets are not as deep as the insurance lobbyist.
    The message that out of state (non-Florida) residents cannot purchase these warranties will appear on most dealers internet web sites; Curry Honda is one of them I believe.
  • odessitodessit Member Posts: 140
    Thanks everyone for such a great posts. Buying 2006 Odyssey EXL in a few days. Called dealership and asked price for the extended warranty. $1499 8 years /100K / $0 deductible. After reading all your posts I realize that is extremely high price. And what is most important it is not even necessary to buy it at the time of vehicle purchase because I can wait until 6K before buying this warranty.
    The only thing that I want to confirm is that I can actually buy this warranty (Honda Care) from ANY dealership in the country (I am not in FL) and get my car serviced under this extended Honda Care warranty at ANY Honda dealership regardless of were I bought the warranty. Is my understanding of this product correct or not?
    mike
    That is correct, buy the HC from any dealer - the one that gives you the best price. Then they put the HC info into the Honda service system under your VIN, then you go to any Honda dealership and it shows the warranty. My servicing dealer does not even sell HC, but they honor it....

If you want to, get your best price before you buy the new van and then challenge the selling dealer to match or beat the price. If the online dealers can make money at that price, your dealer COULD too (if they choose to).

Dennis
    I won’t repeat myself here but readers can visit post 585 for my original comments.

Dwynne, your own words that the Florida Insurance Commissioner regulates the pricing of vehicle extended warranties ..."to avoid good ole' Uhmerkin competition " IS THE PROBLEM. With no competition, dealers can set their own price. Other states don’t “protect” its citizens with such draconian measure and as such, they benefit by paying half from what our “protected” residents pay. Why half? Because the dealer AND the consumers established the price. There are dozen of messages in this forum informing consumers where they can purchase the same warranty for reasonable prices because of a healthy dose of competition. This is what results when free market capitalism has a chance to exist.

We both appear to be informed consumers. However, it’s sad that you are so willing to acquiesce to the silly notion that Florida is protecting it residents. The second sentence in your post confirms that.

I’m sorry, what Honda dealer did you say that you work for…or do you spend your days at the Florida Insurance Commissioner’s Office?
  • ddwalkerddwalker Member Posts: 4
    Right now for a new 05 Ody with less than 6k miles on it Bernardi's web page shows:

How do they know my car is under 6k miles if I order the warrenty on-line. If I have a car that's 8k miles, and I claim it's 6k, will they find out?
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    However, they won't know, unless they require an inspection. Now if you've had any warranty work done, Honda would know your mileage. I'm not sure if they would catch it, but they could.
    I understand you want to save money, but telling the truth is much less work in the long run.
    Forgive my Bible-thumping, but I've seen a rash of "a little white lie won't hurt" postings here recently and it bugs me to see people circumventing the rules we are all supposed to be playing by for their own gains.
    I think you are confused - not about Florida doing a disservice to its citizens by not allowing competition on warranties, but about who said what :D

You are replying to davant but in the reply you use MY ID dwynne.

davant was replying to my post and said the things you object to, not me.

I am all for competition and think fixing the prices is a rip-off (for those who know how to deal).

Dennis
    How do they know my car is under 6k miles if I order the warranty on-line. If I have a car that's 8k miles, and I claim it's 6k, will they find out?

I think they apply a "reasonable" check to this. If you claim to have a Honda with less than 6k on the clock and they check and the VIN shows an in-service date of a "long time back" then they will likely require that you stop by a Honda dealer (any would do) and have them "certify" the actual mileage. If it is "reasonable" that you could have the miles you claim then they let you slide - and you hope you don't have to take your Honda in any time right away where you could get "busted" on the mileage.

As was mentioned, if you have had the Honda into a dealership for any reason then they could have access to the miles at that time. With BMWs (for example) all the services computers are tied into a main system, so any dealer COULD see the miles and date of any BMW's last oil change. I didn't think the Honda computers were tied together, Honda would have to know which dealer to contact to find out this info.

I think this same applies to cancelling a HC contract, the refund is based on miles or months (whatever nets them more money and less refund). When I traded my 01 S2000 for the 05 S I cancelled the 01's HC warranty. I had to fax HC a copy of the "legal" odo statement to prove miles. I would bet if you just wanted to cancel and had not sold the car, they would require a certified odo statement before they would issue the refund.

Dennis
  • cyninhicyninhi Member Posts: 18
    Thank you everyone for your wise answers. I average about 1000 miles a month so waiting seems to be a good idea, for now. I did ask my finance person when I purchased the ody that I got a quote for $1051 for 7/100/0 but he wouldn't budge saying that it cost him more than that, so I will be getting my HC care online at whoever has the cheapest rate at the time I am willing to purchase.

I have another question regarding the rental car. Do we get the rental car regardless of where we have our ody fixed as long as it is a honda authorized service center? How does this work?

Thanks much,
    Cyn in HI
  • tunractunrac Member Posts: 19
    I could be wrong, but I think $1051 for 7/100/0 is a good price for Honda Care. I think most places online will be higher.
    Cindi-8,

Appreciate your feedback, opinions are like apertures, we all have one. I am a very satisfied new Honda Odyssey owner and I don't work for any of the agencies you mention, I'm not in the car business either.

After comparing Florida Hondacare warranty prices to other states it appears this lack of competition doesn't impact price that much, certainly not anywhere close to HALF. Do you see any posts from FLORIDA consumers complaining they got ripped off? FYI, capitalism is alive and well and I assure that every day I go to work. Keep smiling & GBA!