Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Extended Warranties Pricing and Info

Comments

• blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    mamamia2,

Don't forget that you are not buying an 8-year warranty. You are only buying a 5-year extention to the original 3-year warranty that comes with most vehicles.
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I have not run into that, but did have a similar experience with a local Toyota dealer with an in-warranty Previa years ago. The starter was failing to work from time to time (a common problem, I found out). The dealer would not remove or replace the starter without me paying for it - since if they removed it and it was NOT bad then no one (me or Toyota) would pay them for removing the "good" one.

I just told my wife to call their 24/7 roadside guy over and over every time it acted up and get them to send someone out. Even if by the time they got there the van would start :mad:

I think a lot of this is the quality of the dealer - some will go to bat for you and some just don't care.

Speaking of AC compressors - a co-worker without HC just had his blow up in his Accord sedan to the tune of $1,500 or so. He was about 6-7k out of Honda's base warranty at the time. Ask him and his wife if $600-800 for coverage out to 7-8-10 years would have been worth it and he will tell you "you think?" :)

You just never know if you will need it or not.

Dennis
  • mdogramdogra Member Posts: 19
    I have 2004 Pilot EX-L bought in Dec 2003 and till date having less than 10,500 miles on it. I want to buy the ext warranty (0 down 5y/60K or 6/80k or 7y/80k). Are those warranties still legit?
    Since I am under 2 yrs from the date of purchase and less milage on the SUV I am still eligible to buiy the HondaCare warranty. I am from Michigan. Can someone please help as to what rates to expect and any references (I saw fe won message #649).
    Please help!
    Local dealer offered the following for 2004 Pilot (10,500 miles):
    7y/80k for $1145
    6y/80k for $1055
    5y/60k for $980
    Does the 6/7 year quote look reasonable? He told that even if I buy the warranty today it will kick in from the first day I had bought my vehicle (is that true)?
    BTW, the dealer also offered his own Ext Warranty (7y/75k) for $836 and said it is valid in US. I feel the Honda Care warranty will be more hassle free than a dealaer warranty Please comment.
    Will appreciate your responses.
    Are the first numbers a HC from a dealer? What deductible? A couple of months ago they quit offering $0 deductible plans for cars with more than 6k miles on them - maybe they are reading from the old price sheet?

All of the HC packages include roadside assistance and loaner cars from day 1 of purchase - no matter if your Honda is in base warranty or not. This is true no matter where you purchase the HC warranty.

Anyway, the online current quote look strange - cheaper for 84k than 60k miles? You might want to call several of the online folks and pin down the exact price for your Honda.

Dennis
    Thanks for the suggestion. The prices are the HC proces. I did reconfirm about it and also about the deductible. It is $0. I talked to another local dealer later and he said the $0 down are for less than 6k miles since Sept1 and his quotes for $100 deductible were even outrageous. I will shop around for $0 deductible around someplaces and also make sure that the plans are stilllegit. Please do advice what best price to expect. Thanks.
    If you have more than 6k on the clock then no Honda dealer should be able to sell you a HC plan with a $0 deductible. Anyone that will must be planning on putting the "wrong" date on the paperwork or sells so few they don't realize the whole plan has changed since then.

If you local guy is will to write a $0 contact for prices cheaper than online, just read the contract carefully and be sure the deductible and mileage and year limits are right - and that it is a HC contract - before signing. I don't think you can get a better deal online, if your local dealer really will do $0 at the prices you posted.

Worst case: Honda would not honor the contract and you get a full refund then you can start shopping over again.

Dennis
  • mnouauxmnouaux Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2005 Honda Element and, luckily, had read this forum before signing the deal. We avoided paying $1800+ for the dealer's Honda Care extended warranty, opting for some of the resources discussed here on this forum. We live in Half Moon Bay, in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been offered two pretty good quotes for 7/100K, $0 deductible coverage:

$891 for Honda Care from Bernardi's in MA (coverage is good anywhere in the US)

$1133 for California MBI, offered in CA.

The differences are in the fine print of the coverage:

The Cal MBI is bumper-to-bumper coverage, covering things that Honda Care won't: Including wear and tear on covered parts, as opposed to breakage; gaskets; fuel system; pilot bearings/bushings; and "work performed to improve compression or reduce oil or fuel consumption", i.e., bad pistons.

The cost difference is $242, and I'm leaning towards Cal MBI, even though it is more expensive. Any gasket work would more than pay this diff, I figure.

Also, the Cal MBI is good at any repair shop, including Honda Service Centers. Honda Care, of course, is only good at Honda.

Well? Whaddaya think? Thanks!

Mike
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I'd be VERY careful when offered a service that sounds too good to be true....

....Especially when it comes from a company that you don't REALLY know its reputation... Do you?
    ...So I did a quick Google search on Cal BMI and these are the exclusions, quote:

Exclusions:

Carburetor; battery; shock absorbers; manual transmission clutch assembly; friction clutch disc and pressure plate; throw out bearing; manual and hydraulic linkages; distributor cap and rotor; safety restraint systems; glass; lenses; sealed beams; light bulbs; brake rotors and drums; exhaust and emission systems; weather strips; trim; moldings; bright metal; chrome; upholstery and carpet; paint; outside ornamentation; bumpers; body sheet metal and panels; tires; wheels/rims; GPS navigation systems; phone systems and TV/video/entertainment systems.

Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle's owner's manual as supplied by the manufacturer. (i.e. oil changes, tune-ups, brake pads, belts, hoses and spark plugs)
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    California MBI is a type of service contract, not a brand or company name. I found 2 companies selling MBI (didn't have to look too far). Both show the same exclusion list, but the one where I could read the whole contract has further exclusions in the fine print-very sneaky. And there is a $$ limit on the claims. They will only pay out as much as you pay them.
    As for the exclusion list, I went through it and the exclusion list posted a few posts back for the HondaCare. HondaCare lists more components, but the MBI contract lists groups of items. For example:

HondaCare: exhaust system, head pipes, tailpipes, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers.

MBI: exhaust and emissions systems

Both are exempting the same parts, HondaCare just lists individuals.

I did find the MBI covers the fuel system and pilot bearings/bushings, when HondaCare does not.
    The MBI does not cover shock absorbers, GPS/phone/entertainment systems, when HondaCare does cover those items.

I would still go with HondaCare (if I really thought my new Honda was going to croak often).
    One company I found is backed by Interstate National Dealer Services. I thought they did the bankruptcy thing a couple of years ago?
    .... Especially when it comes from a company that you don't REALLY know its reputation... Do you?

I agree.

A lot of folks used to say good things about "Warranty Gold" - up until they went out of business taking everyone's money with them.

Either get the Honda backed plan or just take your chances that the car never breaks. Buying a warranty from someone else is to me a HIGHER risk than doing nothing at all.

Dennis
  • dmamsquareddmamsquared Member Posts: 19
    Thanks to this forum, I learned so much information. We closed on our car deal last night. When it came time to discuss extended warranties, I shared all of my quotes, including the Bernardi one for $951: 7/120/0 on '06 Accord V6. The finance person was caught way off guard!!! He got up, left his office, came back, studied his binder, and then said that he would match that. He tried to lure us into financing everything (no down payment) at 4.99% (over 30K). We said no thanks. We got 5.24% thru State Farm, put cash down, and paid for the warranty. So keep up the good work!!
    Thanks Dennis. I talked to the dealer yesterday and asked if he can work out something for me out of the price quoted since I showed interest. He said he can knock off $100 at most. I stopped by to take a copy of the sample contract. It seems like the format is the old $0 down warranty paperwork. Coverage and exclusions are as others on this board have discussed before. The sample is for HC from American Honda Finance Corp.
    The dealer is pretty big and sells loads of vehicles so I do think he knows what he is doing. I'm gonna give it a try after reading trough and go ahead with the deal. If American Honda rejects the application then I do not have anything to loose ;)
    Glad we could help save you money - sound like you went in prepared with the HC quotes and your own financing. You probably had the invoice prices and any dealer promo amounts with you as well.

To borrow the trade-mark of my friends at LeaseCompare - "Saving Money Feels Good" :)

Dennis
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Also got EW from Bernardy - 956.00 for 7/120K on a '05 CRV SE (we have long commutes). If nothing else, it's worth for the peace of mind. The booklet took about a month to arrive - probably the guys were swamped by all the business thanks to the forums :P . And I carefully read the exclusion before buying. The interesting thing is that if you turn on page 2 of the VSC Contract, under A. PARTS it says "... examples of systems covered ....FUEL SYSTEM...". Go in the exclusions and fuel system is there too :confuse:
    What do you guys think? Not that the fuel system, especially on a Honda, will fail soon (never heard of such a thing).
  • kanukanu Member Posts: 19
    Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing EW from Honda care. I'm qualified for new plan which qouted me for $975 for 8y/120k/0deduct. I plan to keep my 2005 Accord 4cyc for at least 10 years. Many people in the board mentioned that purchasing warrenty is to waste money due to the Honda's reliability.

So, I'm trying to justify the value of EW by listing components that have high chance to disfunctioning by 120k and costs of fixing them. But I'm not a car expert. The only thing I can think of is alternator (about $300 fixing). Anything else please ($700 left to be justified).

Thank you,
    If you plan to keep the car for so long, BUY THE EW. And buy it with $0 deductible.

Just few months ago my dealer wanted me to replace the ABS Module in my good old '95 Accord, for $1,500 (I declined, to find out later it's leaking very slowly, and I could simply top it up every now and then).

I have a 3 month old '05 Accord, and I am going to invest the money and buy the EW soon.

Like any insurance, you NEVER know if you will ever need it. But for less than $1,000, covering all the major components in your car, for the next 8 years (ok, 5 years beyond your original warranty) ----- I think it's worth it.

Yes, your peace of mind is worth too.
    The A/C compressor is $1,200-1,500 or more to fix. A guy I know has a just out of warranty (42k miles?) Accord and his just failed. Ask him and his wife if $700-1000 for a $0 deductible HC warranty would have been worth it - I think I know the answer.

The odds are (really) that it will never save you money. Think about it, if it saved 51% of the folks who purchased it money they HC would LOSE money over all and would raise prices. So the ODDS say you should be able to get through the policy term and not spend as much as the policy costs you.

Of course, if you DO have one of the minority of cars that costs more than the plan to repair knowing a lot of other folks had no troubles does not help YOU out - does it ? :D

I have it on my Hondas just for peace of mind - also I can (and have) gotten a pro-rated refund when I sold or traded a car. And it makes a nice sales tool - down the road you decide to get something else you can market your used Honda with the balance of the HC warranty. That should help you recover a good part of your investment.

Dennis
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    The only time I would suggest NOT getting and EW is if you plan on trading or selling prior to OEM expiration. I realize Hondacare adds things like rental car and trip planning from day 1 but these alone aren't worth a grand. With the complexity of this vehicle and the relatively low cost of this coverage, it will certainly pay you back, especially in the last 3 years of so. Honda quality or not, things break, and what you consider minor could very easily exceed what the plan costs in just one or two repairs.

Even though I'm in FL where EW prices are fixed and registered with the insurance commissioner and I have a 7/100/0 HC EW plan already, it's interesting to see who's buying what where as haggling from the bleachers is better than not at all.

Cheers!
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    First time I ever purchased a extended warranty for $659.00 on my new 06 EX Nav Civic Coupe, but piece of mind came into play this time around in wanting to keep the car for about 5 years plus instead of the normal 2 to 3 three turn around. Sure hope it won't have to be used or if it does, that it will cover the part that breaks ;)
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ....my thoughts, almost exactly 45 (great caliber, incidentally)...............

..I'm fixing to pony up $555 to H/A World for a 5Y/80k.......

...the least I could do for the well-engineered coupe that just turned in fantastic fuel efficiency during a recent run to Luke AFB and back.........

Great car!!

..best, ez.........
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    I would really like to know from anyone, if they had to use the Honda Extended Warranty, and did they have any difficulty ?

Anyone ?i>
  • bob45bob45 Member Posts: 8
    I was told to buy the extended warranty for a 2006 ODY I must buy it from a Florida dealer since I live in Florida. Does anyone know if this is correct ?
    If this is correct anyone know where in Florida to get the best price ? It all sounds fishy to me.

Thank for any input
    Bob
  • bob45bob45 Member Posts: 8
    I did a search and found that we in Florida are only allowed to buy EW from Florida dealers. WHAT A SCAM I wonder how much insurance lobby money & free trips that cost. :mad:
    ...didn't realize y'all are in FL....

...that would most likely translate into somewhat more than the $555 I'm about to spring for a 5Y/80k HC EW.........(Accord EX 6-speed coupe......)

...all of us have dumbass laws on the books; at least you don't have the CARB (no new diesel VW's, etc), Good luck - and if you're agreeable:

Consider letting us know the effect (in $$$) of your bureaucratic mandate preventing EW purchase from Bernardi, College Hills, Jay, or HondaAcura World...........:surprise:

best, ez
    Florida is bound by laws governing EW's as insurance under the purview of the insurance commissioner. If you search back in this forum it may not be a dumb idea, especially if you are an uninformed consumer. All it effectively does is level the playing field keeping Floridians from getting a good deal like elsewhere, or ripped off by gougers. I could have saved several hundred bucks had I been able to buy a Hondacare EW from the original dealer in GA but since I too live in FL, I'm a victim also. I like the concept of the state looking out for me but don't like the fact that it costs more to do so. The state doesn't get any extra incentive to regulate this industry so I don't understand the bitterness toward government in this case as at least they're trying to help. Every FL buyer will pay the same for identical warranties, how bad is that?
    ...correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be a fair statement that FL residency has cost you several hundred dollars and provided the opportunity to label yourself "victim?"

..perhaps if you've the opportunity to see the type of folk - 'up close and personal' - that legislate this sort of junk..........we've much the same in California (in spades)!

Perhaps we can agree to disagree, No offense to y'all personally.

..and you did buy a Honda. I'm still knocked out by my coupe. What an engineering marvel. I'd rather talk about fuel efficiency any day.

best, ez
    I agree to disagree without being disagreeable. Edmunds isn't the appropriate political platform to poke government in the eye but keep in mind not everyone I voted for got elected. FL residency doesn't cost me any personal income tax so I guess I can make this sacrifice without moving elsewhere. You stay there, I'll stay here and we'll both enjoy these great vehicles and our statehood, GBA.

- Cheers
  • missilemanmissileman Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone ever heard of a Wrap Warranty? I purchased a 2004 Accord over the weekend which has the CPO 7/100/0 warranty. The dealer offerd a Wrap warranty which covers everything that the original 3/36 warranty covered such as A/C compressor, alternator, etc. up to the 7/100. They want $1000 for the coverage.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this coverage and please let me know if you have a better price.

Thanks in advance.
    Doesn't the CPO warranty cover the parts you listed? I think the CPO adds 1 more year of full coverage to the 3/36k and then has a powertrain to 7/100k. SO what you would be buying is a HondaCare to cover the non-powertrain past 4/48k.

You can get a HondaCare warranty to do this, but you might want to call a some of the discount HC dealers to ask them - I THINK they have a lower-cost HC plan for CPO cards since so much of the coverage is duplicated. $1000 sounds like way to much money for this extra coverage.

Dennis
  • dchodcho Member Posts: 33
    Just bought a 2005 Honda EX V6. I was considering an extended warranty, HC vs Warranty Direct. Does anyone have any advice on either warranty or whether I should even consider getting an extended warranty? I plan on keeping my car for at least 7-8 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    If you read the messages posted on this board in the past month alone, you'll get a pretty good idea.
  • clovisguyclovisguy Member Posts: 49
    How will anyone know what the actual miles are on a car when a warranty is purchased online? Couldn't someone with a 2005 Accord say they have less then the 6K to qualify for the new car Hondacare Warranty? This could save you hundreds of dollars.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I have heard that they want a clear shot of your dashboard showing a clear picture of total odometer.mileage and a VIN # which will show the make and year of vehicle and a scan of your registration showing you as owner. You cannot fool these people;they know all the tricks :shades:
  • tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    I just purchased my warranty online. All I gave them was my VIN # and mileage - I could have been lying about the mileage. But my car is only a couple of months old, and I'm sure they can check that themselves. So the odds that I'd have over 6000 miles AND that it would make any difference are slim.
    Honda is pricing themselves out of the market on extended warranties for used Accords. I have a quote for only $521 on a 7yr. Or 80K new Accord warranty. However, I own a car with 6600 miles on it that is 10 months old. The quote on it is $936 for a 7yr. Or 84K warranty from time of purchase. Both of them are for a $100 deductible. Does anyone have information on how long you have to purchase the used car warranty? I am going to wait sometime to get one now or just manage without one since they are making cars better now. We managed without extended warranties on four prior new vehicles. Two were Toyotas, one Nissan and another Accord.
    They USED to not charge any extra until your Honda was more than 24 months old or 24k miles, then they charged $60 more. If you went past 36/36k then it was $160 and once you hit 42/42k then you could not longer buy a HC plan. You had the choice of $0 or $50 deductible.

Under the NEW scheme the cut off is 6,000 miles to get a $0 plan and the Honda must be a model year 2004 or newer. This gets you the best price and the ability to buy a $0 deductible plan.

Past 6,000 miles or older than a 2004 you have to get the $100 plan.

I would not tell anyone to lie, but if I were you I think I would buy the $0 plan buy saying your car has "6,000 miles" on it. I purchased plans for two Hondas this year and no one asked me for the mileage - nor did they in the past. Check back several messages and I posted links to all the discount online HC dealers I know of. Get quotes from them all and go with the best one - and just tell them you are under 6k on your new Honda.

Dennis
    If you get the $0 deductible plan, it goes into effect on the DAY YOU PURCHASED THE HONDA - no matter when you actually paid for the plan.

If you get the $100 deductible plan, it goes into effect on the day you purchased the plan.

What difference does this make? While you do save money with the "new Honda" type of warranty plan, the amount of your REFUND should you cancel the plan for any reason (car stolen, totalled, or traded) will be less, percentage-wise. I am betting the pro-rate refund would use the date you cancel and the date you first purchased the car to determine the amount you are due back. Under the old plan and I assume under the $100 current plan, they would use the cancel date and the PLAN purchase date to determine the refund.

It is not a HUGE deal, and for sure the $0 plan is better if you can get it - but you need to be aware of this subtle difference in the way the two plans work.

Dennis
    Thank You Dennis. This gives me something to think about. I will need to do something soon before the 7500K service is due or wait. Also, I am thinking that if warranty sales are slow things might look more attarctive on the used warranty?
    Most of these online/discount dealers are pricing right around $50-100 over cost (they tell me), so there is not a lot of room for a "sale". The HC can have a promo or special, I guess. HC normally re-evaluates pricing every few months and I think about every time the price goes up :)

Dennis
  • kthankthan Member Posts: 30
    I am very new on extended warranty and have some questions about HC. If I did not make a claim until the warranty expires, can I get a full refund? As far as I know, Toyota EW do. But, I am not sure if Honda do the same thing. Also, when I need to cancel (due to trade-in, sold, totalled) the warranty, I can get a prorated refund, right. Does it matter if I had previous claim (or not) to get a prorated refund (I doubt I can get a pro-rated refund if I had previous claim). Also, would the refund be calculated in a simplistic way (ex: if I paid $1200 for 8yr/120K and cancelled it at 4yr/50k, can I get $600 refund?), or there is a complex chart I need to figure out? I assume that it is not transferrable to the second owner, right?

This seems to be important to me. If they prorated money (in a simplistic way), even if I plan to own the car no more than 6 years, It would be better to have full 8 years, in case I am qualified for (full or prorated) refund. Of course, if I cannot get a prorated refund with claim, I might lose extra money to put longer term warranty.
    I found a copy of HC warranty contract. I am little surprised to see that there are tire protection (against road hazard) and free oil change (values up to $25). are these benefits really included in HC? Here is the link of the contract copy: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/contract_coverage.htm

Also, it doesn't mention that prorated refund will not be given if there is a claim before the cancellation. But, it did not provide any details how to calcuate the refund amount (just saying that it will be cacluated by the time or the mileage driven).
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    Notice the tire protection and oil change benefits only apply if you pay extra.
    If this were insurance, I'd call them 'riders' to the 'policy'.
    Khan,

HC is an extended warranty plan that will pay for covered repairs, parts, and labor if you need it. It is NOT and investment plan so I can't imagine why you feel you should be entitled to any refund at all. Our dealer says you are only entitled to a prorated refund based on time it was in place if the vehicle is sold. You aren't entitled to any refund even if you used it full term without a claim. This is what insurance is all about, rolling the dice. You not using your coverage would defer the cost to Honda of those who did.

Welcome to the land of the free... home of the double or nothing brave.
    I don't think HC is an investment. It is definitely an insurance. However, I just
    want to figure out the details of HC contract. It is nothing to hurt to be comprehensive about the details of contract. Also, the details of prorated refund seems to be important to me because I may need to sell the car before the warranty expires. At this point of time, I don't know if I own the car for 6,7,or 8years with how many miles.
    If you back searching the past 3-4 weeks here, you'll find the right post with the link to the web sites that spells ut the details of the contract.
    As has been stated, other than within the first 30 days it is never 100% refunded.

Beyond that, the refund amount is calculated based on the in-service date of the car (when purchased) OR the purchase date of the HC plan OR the miles on the car when you cancel. So if you purchased an 8yr, 100k plan on the day you purchased the car (you don't have to but it then, but it makes it easier to show the example) and so traded/totalled it after 4 yrs and 50k miles you would get 1/2 of what you paid back, less a $25 (?) processing fee. If you asked for the refund after just 2 year and few miles, you would get back 3/4 of what you paid, less fee. If you asked for the refund after 2 years, but had 50,000 miles on the car then you would get back 1/2 less fee.

Make sense?

Where it gets more complex is if you purchase the HC plan later on. For the new $0 deductible plans, the effective date is the date your purchased the HONDA - so the pro-rate is figured as if you purchased it the same day. With the $100 plans it is the date you purchase the PLAN. So when you figure on the refund for these the later you buy the more you should get back.

Prior to this September you could purchase HC $0 deductible plans at any time before your car ran out of 3/36k base warranty. At that time I recommended to everyone they wait until just under 24 months or 24k miles to buy. That maximizes your refund and gets you a low price - same as if you purchased on day 1. Since Honda changed the plans, I would recommend getting the $0 plan which means within 6,000 miles or 2 years of new.

For a $50 fee the HC plan can be transferred (once) to a new owner. So should you decide to sell your Honda down the road you can advertise the fact that YOUR Honda has extra protection which SHOULD help you sell yours or get a better price for it.

You can't extend your HC or purchase HC after the base warranty runs out, so I would get enough to cover you for the entire time you MAY own the Honda. Then either get a refund on the unused portion or use it as a marketing tool should you decide to get rid of the Honda before the HC runs out.

Dennis
    If someone has a 2003 Honda they might not be able to get a HC Plan? I could only find infomation for 2004 or newer.
    It USED to be you could buy up until 36 months or 36k miles from new - the date the car was purchased new. Most of the sites now say 2004 model year or newer under 30k.

Curry' page here shows you can still buy HC with coverage up to 5yrs (2 more than factory warranty) and up to 84k miles - IF your Honda is less than 36 months old with less than 36k miles on it. The old plans would go up to 7yrs and 100k miles.

I would call Curry and a couple of the other online discount places to get clarification.

Dennis