Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Restoring a 1951 Chev. Bel-Air to factory specs.

2»

Comments

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,688
    the Bel Air become an an entire series? As in hardtop, 4-door sedan, 2-door sedan, etc? Was it 1955?
  • Options
    ubbermotorubbermotor Member Posts: 307
    1953, 150 Special, 210 Deluxe, and 240 Bel Air. In '55 Special and Deluxe became just the 150 and 210, while Bel Air dropped the 240. For what reason, I do not know.
  • Options
    like the 150, 210, etc just internal platform designations, or assembly line designations or something like that? Kinda like how my '57 DeSoto Firedome is referred to sometimes as "S-25" or something along those lines?
  • Options
    ubbermotorubbermotor Member Posts: 307
    Yes, but it was not uncommon for them to carry over into badging, and on the '55 to '57 Chevy's there was no other identifiers for the base and mid-range models.
  • Options
    53belair53belair Member Posts: 3
    OK, I am rebuilding a 1953 Bel Air. I want to put a CD player in it, and I swear that I have seen these before. It is a flip down face that looks like the old original AM/FM radio with dummy knobs. I have had this confirmed by about 6 people that they exist. BUT, nobody can tell me where to find them. Has anyone ever heard of or seen these, and if so where the heck can I find one? Thanks for the info
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, first of all there was never an "original" AM/FM radio in those. FM wasn't an option until 1963 or 1964.

Then you would have to convert to 12 volt and your Chevy wouldn't be original anymore.

And, I've never heard of such a thing. Usually people just hide the non original unit under the seat or in the glove box.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I think I've seen ads for modern AM-FM radios that look old in Hemmings, in the color ads at the beginning
  • Options
    usually in something like a '57 Chevy. I have no idea where to get them, though. Back when I used to drive my '67 Catalina convertible more frequently, if I wanted tunes I just brought a boom box with me! :)
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I kept the original Sonomatic AM radio with the cool B-U-I-C-K lettering across the selector buttons in my 1968 Special Deluxe, but had a modern unit with a tape deck hidden under the dashboard.
  • Options
    lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    link title

Looks like nice work, but a little expensive?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Isn't it great to be able to ask a question and get a link posted? Good job, lokki!

Stuff like this is going to be expensive and rightly so I suppose.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Those look pretty cool...I am sure the know-how and labor involved justifies the price...and not many do similar work.
This discussion has been closed.