Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion bbx (closed/linked to our Scion xB discussion)

coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932

Comments

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    It's official! The bbX will be Scion's (Toyota's new division) first production model. It is currently for sale in Japan and will be headed here in 2003. www.scion.com is up and running and has some good information. http://www.scion.com/see/see_bbx00.html will take you directly to the bbX page.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    It looks kind of like a wagon, imo. Or perhaps it's the boxy shape that makes it appear to look like one. Any specs available yet? It will be interesting to see how it's classified. I was reading at the Scion website that it's going to be featured at the 2002 New York International Auto Show. Anyone here going to that? If so, perhaps you can check it out for us. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    ... good thing Toyota didn't announce it at the Detroit Auto Show. Would have been laughed outta town.
  • jpgaskelljpgaskell Member Posts: 6
    America will probably shun the funky box, but it will appeal to a certain niche--people who want an ultra practical economy car with maximized storage space. I'm glad someone took the chance with the design. Honda's Element goes that way too, but the design looks a little too Legoish. http://autonet.ca/autoshows/Stories.cfm?StoryID=4926
    ... neither Toyota or Honda should be exempt from drubbing on these silly boxes.
  • jpgaskelljpgaskell Member Posts: 6
    I'm pretty sure most of the popularion will agree with you on that.
    of the 2002 New York Auto Show: Scion bbX, by Liz Kim. Let know us what you think. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
    What part of 'AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOO!' is the part that is not understood?!

I understand it's 'not okay' to complain about Toyota here on Edmunds, but really now. YUCK.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    The car was a big hit in Japan

It's based on the Echo platform, so expect to see a 1.5L VVT-i motor in it.

The Echo platform is an expensive platform for Toyota, so they want to use it as much as possible.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/bB/

... they are hits in Japan. My friends in Tokyo and Nagoya remind me all the time. I tell them 'go buy a Supra before they stop making them in July' and then they say 'oooooh, no, I wanna box! Box is cool' and I say 'no, box is not cool.'
  • clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    The new SCION division of Toyota has the BBx = black box X gen I think or Experimental.

I think it is an insult to Gen Xers to foist that thing on them.

It looks like it was put in a trash masher but stopped halfway.

UGLY IMHO!

I doubt that will be the final design because on the website it states:

"The vehicle pictured reflects just one interpretation of this transportation device."

I think Toyota wants feedback.

As terrible as the BBX is , the CCX, Concept Coupe Crossover, is a lot more interesting.

Yet another hatchback.

You can read all about them at http://www.scion.com/see/see_ccx00.html

Interesting website.

Here's mine: Toyota needs a clue. Fast.
    Hint: "Supra" or "new Celica" or "Corolla fastback" or "MR2 coupe."
  • petra02petra02 Member Posts: 33
    What's with all the wagons? I see no point in building the bbX when they've already got the perfictly good Matrix. Why not just market the Matrix as a Scion?

What I'd like to see from Scion is a coupe based on the Corolla, with a hatchback. It would use the Corolla's and Camry's [4-cylinder] engines; NOT the Celica GT-S' engine. If too many cars have that engine, no one will want a Celica anymore.

verozahl: The Supra couldn't be a Scion. It's too powerful, and too high priced. It'd be great if it was, but don't hold your breath. To put it into perspective: How many average teens can afford a New 350Z, or an Acura NSX?
    Petra, in no way did I say that a new Supra would be marketed as a SCION. In fact, Toyota would probably market the Supra sucessor as a Lexus to take on the Acura NSX or the (what I believe will be an Infiniti) R35 GT-R.

Toyota, with the Celica, the Matrix, and a Corolla S with two doors and a hatch, would be a real youth-oriented automaker again. The Supra would be the "unattainable dream halo sports coupe" for Corolla coupe/fastback guys to drool about in their sleep. But no, they don't have a clue, so they are doing this SCION thing.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    How would a scion coupe based on the corolla be any different than the Celica? Because you would have it be fitted with a different engine?

Scion would be to Toyota what Mini is to BMW. A super stylish niche-brand. But Toyota is trying to build it from scratch whereas BMW got into this segment by buying a brand with existing heritage.

If Scion models are all just Toyota's that the corporation thinks younger folks want, I agree it will be lame. You can't just shift models from one brand to another like they talk about doing with the Matrix. If they instead make this new brand a sort of style and engineering testing ground it could be really unique. Not as a mass market brand like Toyota but as a smaller niche brand. I, for one, would like to have more options than just the conservative cars aimed at the american market. I say bring on the mini's and scion's and let somebody try and make cool cars that we can afford.
  • bmcclainbmcclain Member Posts: 39
    "A super stylish niche-brand." Pardon me, but where is the style?

Dictionary.com says Scion:1 A descendant or heir.
    2.also ci·on (sn) A detached shoot or twig containing buds from a woody plant, used in grafting

From the specs here on edmunds, the BBX doesn't make much since. A 1.5 liter 4 with 17" wheels. All bark, but no bite. A Japanese utility wagon/box in the U.S. market without any style or the utility. Ugly (maybe its just the color) and filled with a large sound system. I think that the mini vehicles like this are cool, and practible, but don't change them to something that the few who do like them no longer does (my opinion).

Normal Japanese styling with a 1.8 or 2 liter engine and a low, low price would be more like it.

If Daihatsu didn't work, what makes them think Scion will?
    I wouldn't call the styling normal by any means. Style is subject to personal taste, but you have to admit that there is nothing on sale like either of the two cars in Scion's starting lineup.

I agree that to cut it here they will have to up the engine size or add forced induction. In the US it has to be fast (somewhat anyway) to be cool. All the younger folk want from Toyota is a new supra, but what percent could afford one. Most of the people that can actually afford it would probably spend their money elsewhere.

I like two seater GT's as much as the next guy but other cars types can be cool too. I just wish more people could feel that way. It makes no sense demanding only cars that we can't afford.

What scion really needs though (because of what I just said) is a small affordable urban sports car. Something like the Smart sporty car concept that is headed for production.
    hahahahahaha haaaaaa hahahahahaaaaaa haaah hah! hah? hahaaaaaaaaaaa ouch.

That's not even moving. Especially in that BOX! Gwak.
    The 1.5L does the ECHO, but that's a whole other vehicle. I read somewhere that had SCION been around right now, the Matrix would have been in that division. A new Supra? Cool! But all these people who beg for it couldn't afford it anyway. Just a select few would spend that money for something so impractical.
    Met a 300ZX today, so I pulled behind it and pulled out the droolpan. Young people do not aspire to boxes on wheels. Can't afford a Z-Car? Ah, we do have the SE-R!

Nissan: "yeah, we got a clue."
    Lets be fair here, 1.6L does a 99' Civic Si pretty well.
    That's a relatively aerodynamic car. The BBX is a mini schoolbus (seriously). A Mitsubishi Montero is curved more on the front than the Scion is. 108hp isn't going to push the BBX very fast. Is the Echo even relatively quick? The Echo is a light generally aerodynamic car, the BBX is a speaker laden square box with the same engine. And aren't 60% of Americans overweight? It'll go even slower here in America than in Japan. Even the price won't make it go fast, their target is "under 18 thousand." Plus it's small in interior size. That's expensive, small, and in fully loaded Hyundai Sonata territory. 181 hp V6 or 108 1.5L 4? Tee hee...
    From Edmunds' Future Vehicles, here's more information (4 pages) on the 2003 Scion bbX. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for your comments!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    Could someone PLEASE fix the thread name to "SCION bbX"?
    Thanks for the correction!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Gen Y does not care about power and speed, as long as they have the most awesome, powerful stereo around!! Hehehehe

Didn't anyone see all the kids hot-rodding civics and eclipses for the last ten years or so?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

A lot of people look at the pictures of the bbX and think "yuck." Actually, I did see one picture of a man standing on the other side of its hood. It really isn't that tall minivan box on wheels. Box on wheels, yes, but not really tall like a large SUV. I tried to imagine it in the speeding down the fast lane of the interstate...it really doesn't seem that bad.
    I'm not against vehicles in the bbX's class being sold in the U.S. But there is no way they should be sold in the $18,000 price range, with such deficiencies. There is no way they should be square either. Or sold under a new brand. Or old looking. Or... it goes on with Scion
    Do you really think these cars would be sold for 18k? Seems a little high for their targeted age group. If Scion could offer truly original and content rich cars for a lovely 10-15k price range I think it would be interesting. Most autos in this price range are really stripped or are really dull (and most of the time both).
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    has said that no Scion will sell for MORE than $18K, which is not to say that every car will be exactly $18K. I think it is quite possible that they will sell bbX in particular for significantly less than that.

Anyone out there know if they have announced official pricing yet? I don't think they have.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Let's think about this one. Someone can lookup the Japanese model price, convert it to dollars and add on whatever the tariff would be. What exactly is the tariff for a vehicle like that?
    from Edmunds's Headlines section: Toyota Launching Scion June 9. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    According to this article

http://www.cars.com/news/stories/122702_storya_an.jhtml?aff=national

The production version of the bbX will be shown in the next few days along side another SCION vehicle which will not be the ccX. I expect it to be the IST. The Japanese version can be seen here.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/ist/index.html

cars.com is reporting that the production model will be called the xB.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Since Scion is made by Toyota, I wonder which will take up the majority? Is Scion usually for white guys or for Asian guys style? Please do not reply back and say either. Based on my experience, I seen Asian guys normally drive Japanese cars while White guys normally either drive American or European cars.
    Scion's site has been updated! Check out its official production vehicles at

http://www.scion.com
    Could we please have the name of this thread changed to SCION xB ?
    It looks like the xB will have a variety of radios to choose from which can have different display colors and MP3 and satellite radio will be available. The radios will be knobless, have 10 possible display colors (on 6 disc CD player), 160 watts, and Scion sound processing, whatever that is.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    Is the xA coming as part of NA's scion lineup?
    Yes, the xA (IST) will debut along side the xB (bbX) when Scion begins sales in California this summer.
    To nwng and others- Here's a direct link to our new Scion xA discussion.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
    Also, since the bbx is going to be called the xB, let's continue this subject in our new Scion xB discussion. Thanks!

This discussion will be closed.

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

This discussion has been closed.