Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

jefyoujefyou Member Posts: 6
I am interested in the 2003/2004 Ford Escape Hybrid. I need an small SUV or wagon with room for 2 big dogs or cargo, room for a roof rack, and capable of towing 1,000 - 2,000 lbs.

I want a vehicle with very good gas mileage (drive about 50k/year) and current SUVs and wagons aren't too good.

I have read that Ford plans on introducing it in 2003 but I don't know if it is early or late year. I also have not heard what the MSRP will be but expect it to be a few thousand more than current Escapes.

I have read that there are tax incentives for hybrids which makes it attractive.

I am a bit worried about buying such a new technology.

Anyone have any other info on this vehicle?

Comments

• alantpoolalantpool Member Posts: 12
    I am really looking forward to this new vehicle, it will be out a year before my wife is anticipating buying a new vehicle, this would be great for our needs, especically the power and the AWD capabilities. Are there any other manufacturers that are coming out with a Hybrid sooner or in the relative near future?
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    alantpool,
    GM and Dodge are planning on releasing hybrid pickups around the same time. I don't believe any of the other small SUV makes have released plans yet. I'm sure they will follow soon though.
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    Check out the Ford Escape HEV web site, its not updated lots but there is some good info there http://www.hybridford.com - but my faith in Fo. Mo. Co. is fading in part due to the recent Think stink, Ford is deliberately undermining the ZEV law. I don't buy their "greenwashing". They have shown their colors as another not so good corporate citizen. The Escape hybrid needs to be top notch from the word go.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Rumor has it that Lexus will be introducing a gas/electric hybrid late 03 or early 04.

RX/E300?
  • gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    There is a $2K tax credit available for buyers of eco-friendly vehicles, such as the Escape, Prius and such others.

I'm going to be buying a car for the first time in over 20 years - and I even lived in LA w/o one!The nice thing about just renting whenever you need one, in addition to all that money you save on insurance and upkeep, is that you get to try out a variety of models. I like the Escape and congratulate Form for making a hybrid version of it, but I'm very troubled by its poor safety ratings and high insurance costs. The Forester is top-rated, but too low for my liking. Other than hike up the driver's seat, or slow down on curves, what's a guy to do? Suggestions, please!
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    >> There is a $2K tax credit available for buyers of
    >> eco-friendly vehicles

I hate to burst your bubble, but... it's a deduction, not a credit.

That means you'll get a few hundred dollars back on your income taxes, not $2K.

JOHN http://john1701a.com
  • msdickersonmsdickerson Member Posts: 5
    One note on those hybrids - They are only hybrid to the extent that the start/generator are now integrated into the drive train, and will only allow for engine stopping at red lights. The batteries used in those "proposed" vehicals are only on the 42volt range and cannot offer any of the benefits of the current Toyota Prius for example - the mileage of those trucks will only be about 5-10% better which equates to about a 2 mpg improvement. These are basically not real hybrids in the form that the Toyota company has produced.

Too bad for us in the US that Toyota is not selling its 4wd (Sienna chassied) Hybrid van in this country - It gets @40 mpg and does 0-60 in @7.5 seconds or so. I think when those vans were released in Japan they were selling for about 27,000$ (they started retail sales in Japan last year - 2001)

I would recommend not waiting for the US manufacturers to bring out anything more than a marketting ploy to pretend they are selling hybrids. They have been avoiding actually releasing anything for years now, and I cannot believe they will change their ways until they start loosing big market share..

steve d.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Do you know if the upcoming Ford Freestar (04 Windstar) will get Hybrid power? I'd really like a van with a hybrid engine. (I've heard that Toyota plans a Sienna Hybrid for model year 05.
  • alaskaservealaskaserve Member Posts: 2
    I like all the attractive features of Ford's 2004 Escape Hybrid SUV. I have requested more information on the warrantee and customer replacement cost on the hybrid battery cells. No response in more than 6 months. I assume prices for these batteries are not yet available. Before I invest in this vehicle, that battery price will probably be the deciding factor. I successfully maintain my vehicles beyond 300,000 miles. The cost of rebuilding and replacing parts is far less then buying new vehicles every 80,000 to 100,000 miles. I hope the Escape battery is not a few thousand dollars every couple of years or so! I wonder what effect the colder parts of Alaska may have on the hybrid battery system. I hope someone will enlighten me with realistic maintenance costs of this Escape hybrid. I realize a strong point for many buyers of the hybrid is to be green... to contribute to a cleaner environment.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Toyota is expected to have a hybrid Sienna and Camry within the next few years. Look for the RX330 as a hybrid within the next 18 months.
  • spamletspamlet Member Posts: 22
    I believe that Ford will have a 7 yr warranty on the batteries. Please don't quote me on that, but I did read where the warranty will be used to help sell the public on the hybrid car.
  • wneiwerwneiwer Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have an estimate for what the MSRP for the Escape Hybrid will be when sold to the public in the summer of 2004? I'm not sure what the markup has been for previously released hybrids by other manufacturers, but I imagine it will be comparable.
    wneiwer,
    I think the markup is usually $2000 - $3000 over the comparable all combustion models. Take a look at the difference in price between the Honda Civic EX and the Civic Hybrid for a better idea.

Earlier rumors had the Hybrid Escape going for about $2000 more than a comparable XLT V6. Don't quote me on that though.
  • gd99gd99 Member Posts: 1
    I wanted the escape however when my wife got her Civic Hybrid a few months back I stopped waiting. When the US automakers decide to offer a choice, not just promo materials I might reconsider. In the meantime we went out and got a second Civic Hybrid.

We had a Nissan Frontier SE Pickup and a Blazer 2 door prior to trading each one in on the Civic's. At first I wanted to wait for the Escape but when 2003 turned into end of 2003, then Mid 2004 for the "public" I took an honest look at my SUV/Pickup needs and decided for the 2-3 times per year that I actually utilize the carrying/hauling capacity of them I could easily borrow or rent. Getting 16 MPG in my old blazer for the 3 days that I really need the carrying capacity wasn't worth it. Now we regularly get 50+ MPGs. (brochure said 47/48).

If you really need/use the carrying capacity then the Escape Hybrid should be a winner. I've been bugging Honda about offering the CRV as a hybrid for months.

-G
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I'm not sure how much carrying capacity you'll be needing, but the 2004 Prius should be a very promising hybrid since it is now in liftback form and that will help maximize hauling capacity. Not to mention that the Escape will be using Toyota's old hybrid technology while the 2004 Prius pioneers second generation technology.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The 2004 Escape order guides should already be out to dealers. Therefore, most of these question, they SHOULD have an answer for.

The batteries I read, have a 7 year warranty. WHAT exactly the warranty will cover, in relation to their condition/maintenence, etc. Should be asked for ahead of time, before purchasing.

Keeping a hybrid such as this, for many years, should return the initial investment, that will offset the purchasing price.

Escape Hybrid SHOULD be around 2-3K more. Same system will be used in the Futura sedan debuting in 2005. Therefore Ford has invested quite a bit of time and effort, into getting it just right, being it'll be implemented onto other vehicles.

Next hybrid should be the RX330x from Toyota. That 's a bit over a year away, and then some.

To answer someones question relating to the Windstar/Freestar, no Ford at this time, or future time will not offer a Hybrid van version. Hybrids lose their effectiveness on vehicles that are too heavy, as in, once you grow over 3800lbs. the efficiency factor lessens. And in the Freestars budget, there's no allocation for such a system. If hybrid do pick up, and Ford decides to offer a larger version of this system and they deem it viable, then you probably wont see it till the next Freestar appears for 2006-2007 using a totally new platform. THAT platform would be able to handle it.

Pricing on the Escape Hybrid wont be released till probably the end of the summer when retooling at the factory will start. I believe (from something that flashed across my eyes last week) that the first Escape Hybrids will go to fleets in the beginning of next year, while regular customers will receive it in the spring. When I see this again, I'll confirm it.
  • jqueenjqueen Member Posts: 12
    I noticed from some pictures of the Escape hybrid that there was a floor-mounted automatic. Does anybody know if this is an option or standard? One of the reasons I liked the Ford over most of the others was the column shifter. I hate floor shifters- they are in the way. If anybody knows about this, maybe fill me in. I know most of the driving public prefers floor shifters, but I am still old school. I want BENCH seats and column mounted autos. I've already had to give up on bench seats-NOBODY seems to want those anymore.
    I can't exactly confirm that for you, so I'll carefully choose my words. The reason some vehicles have the full center console is more storage space. And sportier type of pretencious depending on some peoples view points. The current Escape/Tribute have been critisized for having it's column mounted shifter block some controls from the radio. So this justifies that, AND being able to have more storage space.

Curiously, NOT having a full center console, appeals to majority of women. It's mainly the place where they prop their purse. Which is minivan plus and well noted.

But being I do not have that exact answer for you at this time, I would give you an educated guess and tell you that maybe this full center console will be standard on the higher trim levels. For cost saving concerns, I do not think it would be wise of them to offer it across all trim levels. But thats just an edcauted case. When I'm able to confirm it for you, and remember it, I'll post at that time.
    jqueen,
    The floor shifter will not be available in the 2004 Escape according to the new order guides. I think the only big thing that changed is the deletion of the yellow copies.

I read somewhere that the Hybrid and the Mariner will have the floor shifter, not the current Escape.
  • allan444allan444 Member Posts: 1
    Where I live in NJ auto theft is an increasing problem . In view of the wide spread theft of the new high intensity headlights in our state, I was wondering how easily/hard it would be to steal the battery on the hybrid?
    Just a bit harder than stealing the engine of a car. It's a restricted area, and requires alot of work to get to, to just pull it out.

Aside from that, what need would someone have with a battery system that can't regenerate itself, unless it has the other components involved ?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist is looking for a person who is in the market to buy a hybrid vehicle. If you care to be interviewed, please respond with your daytime contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, July 11.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gelijellygelijelly Member Posts: 2
    A couple of days ago I test drove a new Escape and I mentioned to the salesman that I was very interested in the Hybrid. He told me that Ford was thinking of pulling it because it was not doing well in fleet sales at all. Just something he mentioned, he didn't seem sure about it though.
    You mean the Escape Hybrid? I don't see that as possible considering they haven't been introduced into the market yet. This fall, it'll go to fleet sales first, THEN beginning of next year, to regular customers.
    Anyone have color swatches on the Hybrid? I would really like to see an Escape Hybrid other than the one they showed at the New York International Car Show.
  • carguydccarguydc Member Posts: 46
    so there are none with fleets. I think the sales consultant was mistaken.

The Ford website says available "late summer 2004"

Go to www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid
    that's what Ford always does. (The General and Chrysler; for that matter.)
    There were last minute issues with the Escape Hybrid, and being the new 2005 Escape's JOB1 date was around the corner, they decided to push it so it coincides with the 2005 Escape's instead of having them be introduced in 2004, considering they would have had the 005 models come in a month after.

At first it was going to fleet sales, but they have decided to just attack the mass market first. This decision (to do fleet first) was so there would be more control if the first batch of Escape Hybrid's would have had an issue/recall, etc. But since the above issue the firstly delayed things has been fixed to their satisfaction, then they decided on the second route, mass market.
    won't be long after we have a Saturn VUE green-line edition.
    It won't be long after the escape, that is.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I've never driven a quirkier car than the Vue.
    the perfect candidate for a Hybrid.
    I had a friend who almost bought a VUE. Because of her major issue with leasing a previous Saturn, and having them absorb the extra milage, she HAD to get another Saturn model. She was wanting an Escape so they lent her the VUE overnight.

One drive in the highway at 60MPH with that artificially fake electric steering killed the deal. It felt as if the vehicle was in every which lane, without any control or feedback. Rear glasslight didn't open seperatly (takes away from utility and versatility), interior plastics were typical GM tupperware, and lacked toys for the price they were asking.

Instead she got an L300 which she's very satisfied with. NOT exactly what she wanted overall, and thinks for the money it lacks features and quality, but considering the issue she was in she HAD to get another Saturn.
    is that most of their cars are not very well, up to Honda and Toyota levels. The L300 is getting the Epsilon platform, while the VUE, who knows. the ION will need to wait.
    Vue I believe is on the Theta platform, I believe that's what it's called. It's not a bad vehicle overall compared to most (V6 a plus), and I would take it over a CRV or Rav4 JUST because it has a V6 option. YET it drove horribly bad because of the electric steering, something I found equally dissatisfying in the new ION.

I drive my friends L300 quite a bit when she feels too tired to drive, and "for a Saturn" I'm mildly impressed by it. The V6 engine is a powerful little jewel, the transmission shifts effortly, and with this years performance upgrades, it handles very well for a FWD vehicle. My only beef's have been the power window switches are NOT on the door panel as they should be, some hard plastic interior pieces (typical), and the doors (because they are polymer plastic) have huge gap/seams between body panels, and they rattle quite a bit when you close them (like Passats which I dislike).

Naturally there's other vehicles in it's class I would pick over this, but overall it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
    It isn't a bad car. Some cars are worse out there. Consumer Reports makes it out for us to think that the Saturn L300 is the worst car in the world. Even though I would buy a L300 over a Taurus just because you don't see an L300 at every stoplight whereas the Tauruses, Camrys, and Accords literally invade the stoplight.
    I don't bother with Consumer Reports, I'm well aware how they gather their information, and they are extremly biased.
    I bought a subscription for all the other ratings. Fridges, Dishwashers, TVs, etc......
    You don't think they have a bias there too?
    No. One year GE dishwashers were CR Best Buys and the next year it was Whirlpools that were the best buys.
    paint. year after year, Behr paint or Valspar American Tradition ranks top.
    Well that right there invalidates their data for me, because I have some significant dishwasher experience, and GE is consistently the worst of them all for cleaning dishes, which I think is important.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's re-focus on the Escape hybrid instead of household appliances. Thanks.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

The Escape certainly should void that $2000 tax credit. It'll be soo liveable, that a lot of people will buy them.
    I still think the hybrid is a wasted effort, and will die of its own volition soon. Just not enough efficiency for the cost.
    I think hybrids are here to stay. Hydrogen is on its way out, I'll tell you that, whatever GM may try to tell us.
    the bigger the car, the less efficiency the Hybrid gets you. Therefore, the cars that need the mileage boost the most, can't get it from the Hybrid. That's why I think it will ultimately fade away.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > that $2000 tax credit

They is no credit. It has always been a DEDUCTIBLE. There's a huge difference. You get quite a bit less than with a credit.

JOHN
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    In my opinion GM's sudden embrace of the fuel cell is just another excuse for not making improvements NOW. Just look at what happened in 1975 -- they threw an electric motor in a Chevette, carted it around to some auto shows and said that electric cars would be the wave of the future. Meanwhile, they were still cranking out full-size sedans whose gas-guzzling V8s were constrained to 110 horsepower because of all the half-cocked pollution devices that had been hastily slapped on. We are seeing another iteration of this stalling tactic right now.

If GM has a fuel cell vehicle for retail sale in 10 years, I will eat this post on a printed page.

-Andrew L