Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• tbrakeltbrakel Member Posts: 3
    I am a rural mail carrier, driving about 78 miles per day on a mixture of paved and unpaved roads (about 50/50). Needless to say I do a LOT of start stop driving. I'm thinking about replacing my Dakota 4WD Quad cab (avg 11-12 mpg on the route). Will the Escape hybrid stand up to this type use?

1. Will it run approximately 30 to 60 min (multiple stop start cycles but rarely exceeding approx 20 mph) on battery during in city operation?

2. Will the drive train hold up to extensive start/stop cycles? Can the gas engine startup be "over ridden" in an instance where speed between stops would just reach the startup speed (25mph ?) before slowing to a stop?

3. Can the huge center console be removed without causing driving problems?

4. Brakes are used more in one day than most people use in a week. Same goes for steering components. Any thoughts as to durability of these components?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

Tom
  • cdoldcdold Member Posts: 34
    a squeak in the rear somewhere

I was just checking the tire pressure in my 2005 FEH.
    Crawling under the rear to check the spare, I noticed that both rear shock absorbers have stripes on them where the paint has been scraped off. I presume this would squeak, although I don't know if you could hear it.
  • dbrightdbright Member Posts: 1
    Looks like you can get yellow now. They just started using hybrid escapes in New York City as taxis.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=21998
  • wyogreenwyogreen Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone out there heard of a recall of 2006 Escape Hybrids for replacement of the Wiper Motor. We ordered up a 2006 a couple of months ago, and are still waiting for it. At least it has finally made it to the dealer. (At least that's what they say. I haven't seen it) The latest excuse is that they can't give it to us because there has been a recall on the wiper motor. If they give it to us before it is replaced they face a $10,000 dollar fine. I can't find a recall anywhere on the net. The Ford site won't tell about recalls without a VIN number, which I don't have because I don't have the car yet. Just curious whether or not the dealer is stalling. Thanks.
  • doccdocc Member Posts: 24
    I can address a few of your issues:

"Will the Escape hybrid stand up to this type use?"

I would think so. And your mileage should be at the very high end of what is possible.

"1. Will it run approximately 30 to 60 min (multiple stop start cycles but rarely exceeding approx 20 mph) on battery during in city operation?"

It will not run that long on battery alone. If you stay below 25-30 mph and accelerate gently, it will run on battery alone until the battery is nearly discharged. Then the engine will start and run both to propel the car and recharge the battery. This is actually quite efficient.

"2. Will the drive train hold up to extensive start/stop cycles? Can the gas engine startup be "over ridden" in an instance where speed between stops would just reach the startup speed (25mph ?) before slowing to a stop?"

The engine normally starts and stops frequently in urban driving. I don't see anything unusually demanding in your driving. You cannot override the decision of the computer to start the engine. But I think you may be focusing too much on running in pure electric mode. The hybrid drive can be very efficient even with the engine running for part of the time. It is designed to work that way. There is virtually no loss from having the engine start briefly. Unused power is used to charge the battery.

"4. Brakes are used more in one day than most people use in a week. Same goes for steering components. Any thoughts as to durability of these components?"

You should get vastly longer brake life. Most braking is accomplished with the electric drive--not with a friction brake. Hard braking will cause wear, but normal braking (front-wheel regenerative) will not. As a clue, I have 21,000 miles on my '05 and it has produced no brake residue on the front wheels at all in all that time.

Jim
  • wyogreenwyogreen Member Posts: 4
    Update: Got the VIN number from the dealer. The Ford site shows a safety recall #05S40.
    Near as I can find out, it involves a washer and special lubricant. Bye.
  • karlokarlo Member Posts: 2
    I am seriously looking at the escape hybrid (2006), and I want to go in with both eyes open. One factor is, of course, the city/highway "real world" miles per gallon. While I realize that "mileage may vary", I am interested to hear from owners as to what they are actually getting.

My use is 20,000 to 25,000 per year, with 65% city driving.

I have read in this forum of owners stating that they have received 33-36 on the highway....please let me know your driving patterns and actual mileage, so I can factor that information into my decision.

Thanks, in advance
    34 mpg in town or heavy suburban traffic, stop-and-go. If you have a lead foot, reduce that to 32.

26 mpg on the highway at 80 mph and fully loaded.

30 mpg highway at 55-60 mph.

Running the heat or AC in a mode that forces the engine to run ALL the time will reduce those figures. All are for my 2005 4x4.

I have gotten nearly 37 mpg on a long winding trip through hill country averaging about 40 mph.
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    The six NYC FEH taxis were painted aftermarket. :lemon:
    They were originally white. I saw 5 of them (4 yellow, 1 white) at their garage in Long Island City, NY. And I saw the 6th on the road. FYI they're the FWD model.
  • mauthedogmauthedog Member Posts: 5
    I commute to work 12 miles along a busy commuter road (17 traffic lights) in Massachusetts. I'm getting 33 - 35mpg.
    When I have gone pure highway, I have gotten 28 - 31mpg. The 28mpg was in a hilly area (Adirondacks). The ability to stay in battery mode has a big impact on mpg. I have owned the Escape since June. I'm very happy with the Escape Hybrid and recommend it.
  • philingaphilinga Member Posts: 4
    ANT14 - "Ford bought some items from Toyota, NOT because they didn't have faith, BUT if someone out there already has experience with a particular item/issue/component, why not just buy (pay royalties) and save time in bringing the product out."

If all of you that only want to bash Ford – not just Ford but ALL American Engineering (we all American Engineers can’t do any thing original) – for what you perceive as "TAKING" something from the Great Japanese Innovators at Toyota and others. You just don’t get it.
    The ONLY reason Ford did "LICENSE" some of the components from Toyota was to head off any future lawsuit infringement on these Toyota’s patents. The Engineers at Ford had come up with (On their own) some components that were so close to the ones that Toyota was using, and had already patented, it was just a LEGAL thing – NOT stealing, buying, using parts from Toyota or anyother car manufacturer. Every part in a Ford Escape Hybrid is “FORD” nothing from Toyota or any other car manufacturer – even down to the tires used on the FEH.

Love My All American Made Escape Hybrid :D
  • celtviperceltviper Member Posts: 12
    We just got our Escape Hybrid last weekend and just today I found this forum. Regarding the event in Dearborn, do you know if there was any printed material handed out and if it would be available to new owners? It sounds like it would have been a fantastic opportunity to learn how to make the most of this new technology.

Thanks. Dan
    Does anyone know anything about installing the 110v AC outlet in the console (parts needed, job difficulty)? I have a 2005 4WD without the option, and I'd love to add it.

Jim
  • xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Celtviper:

There was some press material handed out although it was relatively basic. I did a short write up on the event over at GH that has a bit more detail of what was covered that you may be interested in?

Ford Escape Hybrid Fuel Economy Experience …

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
    Thanks Wayne. Interesting stuff.

Dan
  • greenearthgreenearth Member Posts: 2
    Hi there - do you have a navigation system in your Hybrid?

Thanks.
  • philingaphilinga Member Posts: 4
    Dan check out in the Learn section of Greenhybrid.com and the article " Ford Escape Hybrid Fuel Economy Experience and Ford Employees Passion
    Contributed by: xcel"

Plus there are some GREAT discussion threads "Ford Escape" on how to get the best MPG etc from your new Hybrid. Check out 'Ford Escape Hybrid FAQ' and 'The Low Gear Advantage' - Welcome.

Phillip :) (VietVet'67)
    Phillop:

Thanks for the info. With each tank of gas our MPG is going up. We're learning how to drive it for the best MPG and it seems to be learning how we drive too. We live in the rural foothills of Northern California and there are very few places that are flat. We're learning how to get it to go electric when coasting downhill. Because of the terrain in our area we don't expect to get the highest MPG possible but so far we're very happy with what we are getting. Beats the heck out of the Mustang GT.

Thanks again.

Dan
  • cdoldcdold Member Posts: 34
    With each tank of gas our MPG is going up

My wife averages right at 28mpg overall.
    I average 30 in the same conditions.

rural foothills of Northern California

Lake County. Rural, hilly. It would seem that the ups and downs would balance out :)

From here to Santa Rosa requires a climb from 1,000 feet to 2400 feet, and then down to 400 feet. That trip is around 35mpg, but coming home is about 26mpg.
  • ravi_choudhariravi_choudhari Member Posts: 2
    does a hybrid escape has contineously variable valve timing ...
  • ravi_choudhariravi_choudhari Member Posts: 2
    does hybrid escape has CVVT that is contineously variable valve timing
  • tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    My wife is considering an FEH and one of the concerns is whether we could drive it in heavy sand. Anyone have off-road experience with this vehicle, especially on the beach or in deep sand generally?

I appreciate any feeback.

tpat
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "does hybrid escape has CVVT that is contineously variable valve timing"

The engine is the same as for a standard Escape 4 cyl, except it has a different operating cycle. I don't think this I4 has variable valve timing. In any case it would be useless for the Escape Hybrid, because the whole point of the hybrid is to have the electric motor supply additional HP when needed. CVVT is used to burn more gas (and provide more HP) when engaged.
    "My wife is considering an FEH and one of the concerns is whether we could drive it in heavy sand. Anyone have off-road experience with this vehicle, especially on the beach or in deep sand generally?"

The Hybrid technology is not designed for off road use. If your battery drains you are left with an underpowered I4. The problem with "sandy" situations is that you might well be using the battery quite a bit, but since you are not slowing down a lot, the regenerative braking is not engaging; therefore the battery must recharge from the engine. For occasional use, OK, but if you plan to drive in sand a lot, get a conventional Escape with 4WD.
  • tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for the feedback.

This would be for a short trip from a paved surface onto a beach -- less than a mile.

I'm only worried abbout getting stuck in the sand. Anyone have any experience with it in loose sand or off road generally?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large daily newspaper would like to speak to current hybrid vehicle owners. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and how long you’ve had the car no later than January 3, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• duckeyleeduckeylee Member Posts: 3
    Hi Peter: I ended up seeing another post on Edmunds that suggested it was a parking brake issue. Sure enough, the next time the squeak happened, I came to a stoplight and I put my parking brake on and released it again. The squeak stopped. It has happened since then periodically and I have done the same thing and it stops. I am trying to get it into the shop this week. I'll post again if I hear anything definitive. J.D.
  • escapehybridohescapehybridoh Member Posts: 3
    I've heard that the European version of the FEH has an option to flip a switch to force electric only mode. Is this an upgrade we can do after-market in the USA?
    "I've heard that the European version of the FEH has an option to flip a switch to force electric only mode. Is this an upgrade we can do after-market in the USA?"

I have never heard of an export version of the FEH. The UK Prius has been reported to have such an option, sort of. Try checking out the Prius forums.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    From everything I've seen around the web, as a full hybrid, the Escape can go up to 25mph on battery alone, but only for short distances.

Electric only operation has to be huge drain on the batteries. Ford estimates that the Escape could run on electric only up to 40% of the time in bumper to bumper traffic. But even that is only going to be for very short times and distances.

And I would think that there's some risk of shortening battery life if you drain the battery past the point it was designed for.

Are you thinking that the electric only switch would allow you to say, run a short errand on electric only? I don't think that's going to turn out to be the case.
  • mpglovermpglover Member Posts: 2
    I am glad to hear your report of the miles on your FEH, which I am planning on buying next month. I too love to check my MPG as a gauge of my driving ability and vehicle health.

One word of caution about the FUEL PUMP :cry: to anyone who likes to distance test your vehicle--dont' do it too often. Most modern vehilces require constant submersion of the fuel pump to properly cool and lubricate it; if the fuel level gets below 1/3-1/2 tank, the pump will run hotter and lose some of it's lifespan, you really don't want to have to replace that, or run low and start sucking in contaminants :sick: . Once in a while--fine, but as a habit refill when you're about 1/2 full, and enjoy the cheaper fill ups! :shades:
  • escapehybridohescapehybridoh Member Posts: 3
    You must really love hanging out at the gas station! Fill up at half a tank? Are you kidding me?
  • highbirdhighbird Member Posts: 1
    Greetings- My Ford dealer has agreed to order (from the factory) an Escape Hybrid for me, and i was wondering how this works. Are there any extra charges he might try to apply, and should i accept any? Do i need to give him a deposit, (refundable or non-refundable)? Should i work towards paying closer to invoice, since it'll never be on their lot? I'd love to hear any details from anyone who has been throught this process. thanks!
  • warlok2warlok2 Member Posts: 9
    Hybrid: Depending on where you are, the demand might be high enough that the dealer won't have any on the lot. Some are only being alotted two or three from Ford. If they have to order one, you might have to get on a waiting list. Expect to pay premium for this. The theory of supply and demand takes place. If you don't pay msrp, someone will. The only reason I didn't pay msrp for mine was that I bought it on January 3rd 2006. The last day of ford's keep it simple plan, $100 over invoice, and the first day of the new year so I could take advantage of the tax credit (expected to be over $2000) for next years tax return.

The normal charges should apply, taxes, title, destination charge. If they can't get one shortly, ask them to search local dealers for you. Most that I have dealt with have relationships with nearby dealers so that they can quickly service their clients.

Unless you see another incentive from Ford in the near future, expect to pay msrp or above for this awesome vehicle!

Good Luck,

Marcus
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large local newspaper would like to speak to consumers in Southern California who have recently purchased or shopped for a Ford and why they either purchased a Ford or decided on purchasing another vehicle. If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence no later than January 19, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

We've had our 2006 Hybrid since the end of November. Recently I have noticed that the "passenger air bag off" light on the dash is on when my wife is seated in the passenger seat. If she moves around or bounces a little in the seat the light goes off. We put sheep skin seat covers on to protect the upholstry. I'm wondering if the seat covers are somehow interfering with the air bag sensor. I'm also wondering if the setting on the sensor is adjustable. My wife weighs about 115 or so. I certainly don't want the air bag deactivated because she's too light or because of the seat covers. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Thanks.

Dan
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Which of the following best describes why you own a hybrid?

a) to make a statement

b) for the tax credit and other perks

c) because they’re environmentally friendly

d) to save money at the pump

e) to be the first to own new technology

Please submit a few sentences to support your response no later than Friday, January 27, 2006. Be sure to include your Forums username. Thanks! (wclarke@edmunds.com)
  • mauthedogmauthedog Member Posts: 5

a) to make a statement: Nope.

b) for the tax credit and other perks: Found out afterwards

c) because they’re environmentally friendly: Yes, in part.

d) to save money at the pump: Definitely; traded in Chevy Blazer that ot 14city, 20 hwy.

e) to be the first to own new technology: Nope, but I admit people like to look at it.
    Reasons for buying an 06 Escape Hybrid:

1) We have an Irish Wolfhound pup that would not fit in the back of our Mustang GT when fully grown. The Escape is the perfect size and it's a 4x4.

2) I prefer to pass gas stations than to stop at them. Since the oil industry can charge whatever they want, whenever they want, for whatever reason they want I want to support them as little as possible.

3) The tax credit is a nice added bonus.

Dan
  • subdudesubdude Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone describe their off pavement experience with the FEH? I am considering a purchase. I do a fair amount of driving in snow, and on crappy dirt forest service roads. Nothing actually off ROAD, or particularly gnarly. My current vehicle, a CR-V, is adequate for these uses. I'd really like to hear from folks who have driven the FEH off pavement.

Thanks.
  • mkamerickmkamerick Member Posts: 1
    I have had what sounds like the same problem on our AWD Escape. We bought in in Oct. 05. It currently has about 3500 miles on it, and we get 'the squeak' very loudly sometimes, especially after long downhills, especially long downhills in heavy traffic. I will try the emergency brake trick. I haven't been able to get the car to the dealer while it was making the noise. MK
  • ctbraswellctbraswell Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new 2005 Escape Hybrid in June. In August my brake lights would not go off--even with the ignition off. I took it to the dealer right away (before the battery died) and they found that a switch in the brake pedal stuck. They replaced it. I drove my vehicle for the last time two days ago and everything was fine. Yesterday I heard the battery cycling while I walked past the car. Then today, the car is dead, dead, dead. I had to have it towed to the dealer to see what is wrong. Any ideas? No, I drove it during the daytime, so no lights were on. I'm not sure if the brake switch went bad again, but I guess we'll see.
  • duckeyleeduckeylee Member Posts: 3
    An update. I got my FEH into the dealer in January. They contacted the mfg and were told it was a known problem, but that Ford did not have a fix yet... the dealer opened up a trouble ticket and said they would notify me when Ford determines the fix. I have not checked in with the dealer lately. Mine is still squeaking periodically, but it is getting worse. It used to be only 25 mph or less, this week it started at 35 mph. I'll have to check in with the dealer and see if there is any news.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    "The power of a V6, the economy of a 4-cylinder"

Wasn't that the sales pitch for the Escape Hybrid?

Did they get it backwards?

Seems like tests prove 0-60 times go from 9.5 to 11 seconds, and economy, according to Edmunds, is in the low 20's.

DrFill
  • bigsweepsbigsweeps Member Posts: 11
    My 2005 Escape Hybrid has 16,000 miles. I had the front wheel bearings replaced at 3,000 miles (strange grinding brake-like sound coming from the wheels at slow speeds or turning left). Then at 15,000 miles I was driving to work and the "high motor temperature" warning came on. Lovely. That ended up being a water pump failing (or so the technical bulletin from Ford thought). When I picked it up from the dealer, they must have updated the software because after that, the fans for the battery and the electric motor were on at least 3 times as much as before. I brought it back but they said everything was fine. Then tonight, the "high motor temperature" warning happened again (this time I was 35 miles from home). I tried to get off the highway, but the truck just shut itself off right in front of a transit bus. (Apparently it will do that if it thinks the engine is in danger of serious overheating) Thank goodness I wasn't hit by the bus! But I'm rather annoyed at how many problems my truck has had. Ford will be hearing from me on Monday. Either the new water pump failed or they didn't fix the problem last time. I don't think I'll want to keep this beyond the 3/36 warrantee. (In fact, the way things are going, it may qualify for the lemon law)
  • jbroadbentjbroadbent Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if they've towed with the FEH? What's the towing experience? I see that Ford says it will tow up to 1000 lbs, but I'm told by dealers it's not recommended for towing. I don't get why not in that the regular 4 cyl Escape is rated to two up to 1,500 lbs and the Hybrid has more hp. But admittedly, I've not looked at torque differences, and that may be the key. Any help would be appreciated!
    "But admittedly, I've not looked at torque differences, and that may be the key. Any help would be appreciated!"

The FEH has a de-tuned engine, using the Atkinson cycle, which produces better MPG but worse HP. The total HP is supplemented by the electric motors, but these are subject to running out of electricity, and can overheat (AWD) in certain circumstances. Without the electric motors, the FEH is lucky to pull its own weight, much less tow anything.

Added to that is the CVT, which is not optimized for towing.

If you want to tow, get the V6 on a conventional Escape.
  • bigsweepsbigsweeps Member Posts: 11
    I wouldn't recommend it. Heck - my electric motor has been overheating any time it hits 60 degrees or higher (I'm in New England) without any excess weight in the vehicle. I know my circumstances may not be the norm - but based on my experience, it doesn't even like to have 500 pounds of cargo IN the vehicle (in addition to 2 occupants) let alone towed behind it.
  • don49don49 Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering a FEH to replace my '88 Blazer. I need 39" of height in the cargo area from floor to ceiling to carry bicycles upright (front wheels removed). Does the hybrid lose any cargo height due to the battery? Could someone tell me the actual floor to ceiling height in the back? Thanks.

Don
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    You don't lose any height, cargo floor is the same in the hybrid as the conventional Escape. Just thinking off the top of my head, there may be a meter's worth of room floor to ceiling in the center part of the cargo area ... and that's aprx. 39 inches. Just barely.