Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I'm considering a FEH to replace my '88 Blazer. I need 39" of height in the cargo area from floor to ceiling to carry bicycles upright (front wheels removed). Does the hybrid lose any cargo height due to the battery? Could someone tell me the actual floor to ceiling height in the back? Thanks."

If it's not too far, you might just go in to the Ford dealer with a tape measure...
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    I just measured our brand-new Mariner from the loading area floor to the headliner. It is 32.5". That is the opening ( smallest )measurement. Maybe not enuff for u.
    Our Mariner (AWD) is rated 33c/29h. We are getting about that. Only 2K mi - 2 wks old. It was 102 the day before yesterday. We use the AC continuously, altho not on the MAX settting - (gas engine ON).
    The owners' manual doesn't recommend ANY off-road excursions. The AWD is mostly for traction and control. ASR ( acceleration slip reduction ) is not available.
    My experience with in-the-tank fuel pumps - they are submersed in the fuel to quiet them and to cool them. They sit in a sump in the tank to allow them to pump fuel that is not washing about when cornering.
  • subdudesubdude Member Posts: 9
    I have not been off ROAD, but have been off PAVEMENT on a recent trip to Death Valley. The FEH seemed fine; no issues, no problems. Same experience in the snow - no issues, no problems.
  • merfoardmerfoard Member Posts: 2
    not sure any hybrids were available prior to 2005. Check the dates of Hybrid availability. My recommendation is to go for a newer model as the earliest models with this technology were frought with problems.
  • merfoardmerfoard Member Posts: 2
    I have just purchased a 2006 FEH and am looking forward to planning a trip from NY to IN this summer. As those of you with this system know, that will involve the use of three of the NAV discs. Any ideas how I can use the system to plot out the most interesting route? I contacted the manufacturer and they told me I'd have to do it "city by city" whatever that means. Anyone else used this to plan a lengthy trip? Thanks for any help...
  • christophchristoph Member Posts: 10
    Helllo, Everyone. I'm new here and new to Ford ownership. Last week I purchased an '06 FEH (and an '06 Mustang GT ragtop 5 speed!) I am receiving conflicting info regarding aftermarket installation of a 2" receiver hitch on FEH. My local dealer is saying absolutely no tow hitch available. Yet here on this board, it seems like manufacturer-approved hitch is available, rated at 1000 pounds.

All I want to do is tow a cedar rowboat & trailer (300 pounds) or possibly stick a bicycle carrier in the tow hitch.

Has anyone here had the Ford tow hitch installed afterwards into FEH? Is the hitch receiver 1 1/4" or 2"? Do you have a part number I can take to my local dealer?

Thanks and cheers!
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    I'll direct you to two websites that are specific to
    Escape hybrid owners.
    Yahoo has a Escape Hybrid group, with people who have installed hitches -- and fyi they are aftermarket, not Ford hitches .... there are detailed posts there, information on how to secure the part and where it is mounted (to stay clear of the under-car spare tire and the piping apparatus to the rear battery air unit).
    I remember that the OEM hitch on my '01 Escape was 1 1/4".
    there's also greenhybrid.com, some of the same people on Yahoo are on that group.
  • christophchristoph Member Posts: 10
    dw438, thank you for referring me to the Yahoo FEH Group. I quickly scanned some recent posts and see that my towing question will have been answered there. Thanks again.
  • cdoldcdold Member Posts: 34
    "I am receiving conflicting info regarding aftermarket installation of a 2" receiver hitch on FEH."

Any independent shop should be happy to install a Hidden Hitch model 70758, along with a 30130 lighting harness. etrailer.com will sell one that you can install yourself. (don't enlarge the holes, work with it)

I occasionally tow a two horse trailer with my 2005.
  • everdreamingeverdreaming Member Posts: 3
    I've been reading the FEH forums for awhile now while considering purchasing one. Thanks to all the contributors for some great info! I do have a couple of questions that I haven't found the answer to yet...

1. Does anyone here have the FEH without the Nav system? I've seen some sites that say the MPGs as measured by the Nav system aren't all that accurate and the only reason I would get it is for the feedback on the hybrid system. If anyone has the FEH without the nav system, do you feel like you're missing out on info? If you do have it, does it help you drive more efficiently?

2. I'm aware of the study by CNW Marketing claiming that from production through disposal, hybrids don't actually save energy. Has anyone seen any other similar studies? Or comparisons of energy usage over the life cycle in purchasing a new hybrid vs. a comparable used non-hybrid?

Thanks!
  • 69driver69driver Member Posts: 4
    Hey dreaming,

Mine does not have the Nav system. I wanted to save a few bucks.

In place of the Nav system is a single gauge that you can toggle. Some of the items you can select are avg mpgs, miles till gas tank is empty, efficiency high or low, and a few others.

I know I’m missing out on the cool display, but I’m already over it.

My driving is definitely getting better. It’s kinda funny, for some reason now anybody that drives behind me tells me I’m NUMBER 1!!
  • atlvibeatlvibe Member Posts: 109
    Like 69driver I opted to go without navigation. To me the cost outweighs any benefit. Of course, many would say that about the hybrid option itself. However, I did spring for a kewl green bumper sticker that reads "treehugger".
  • villagraciavillagracia Member Posts: 4
    I plan on adding a Mobil-Ease Bluetooth adapter to my 2006 FEH. I have a 6-CD, 80W system (not the VNR). This supposedly allows me to talk handsfree using a Bluetooth cellphone. Has anyone ever installed this on their Ford (any Ford)? This is available for most Ford 2005 and 2006 trucks and SUVs but you won't find this option on the brochure. I only found it in the SourceBook at the Ford dealer. The part number for the FEH adapter is 3W4Z19G399AA, and it also needs a wire harness, 3W4Z14A411AA or 3W4Z14A411BA, depending on the audio system installed. Seems a little pricey (I paid $400 for the adapter and cable. The Ford dealer sold it to me at "their cost"), but if it helps my wife avoid an accident or a ticket, it would be well worth it. My questions are:
    Has anyone installed this in their FEH or any Ford vehicle?
    Was it hard to install? Does it work? Can you talk handsfree and listen to the other party using your audio system? What cellphone were you using?
  • villagraciavillagracia Member Posts: 4
    I also didn't want to pay $3800 for the VNR radio. I have a Garmin Color Streetpilot I bought on eBay for $330 about 3 years ago. Found out later it was a wise decision to opt out because you cannot play audio CDs and have the NAV operating at the same time (VNR uses CDs for the map database. Everyone else uses a separate DVD drive for their database). Your best bet if you really want GPS navigation is to buy one of the newer Garmins like the 2920 or a Magellan Nav 750 that gives turn-by-turn audio driving directions.
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    Does anyone know when the 2007s will go on sale?
    The local dealer told me they should be out in July, but they'll essentially just be a carryover since the '08s are getting an update. I'm debating how long I can hold out. ;)
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    They [the '07's] are out already, though the Ford consumer databases don't show it. One can go to a dealer and order an '07 now. You can see more info at Ford's fleet site, fleet.ford.com ... you'll see that the vehicle is the same, and there are new colors ... out is the familiar dark shadow gray and sonic blue ... replaced by a lighter gray [graphite] and a slightly-less electric blue.
    FYI the '08 will be the big revision ... look for it the start of next year at all the best auto shows. There have been spy pix of the '08 ... engineers are driving them .. the body will change a bit, there's a new front end look, upgrades to the hybrid electric system [if equipped] and more.
    I just saw that you can now price the '07 FEH on edmunds. Interestingly, when you go to price with options it no longer lists the Mach audio (non-nav) system or the retractable rear cargo cover. Does it make sense that they wouldn't offer them or could that just be an omission at this point?
  • subdudesubdude Member Posts: 9
    You can play audio CDs and use the NAV system at the same time. The setup includes a single - disc in dash slot for the NAV CD, and an under-seat changer for audio CDs.
  • cosanostracosanostra Member Posts: 91
    Since the 2007 FEHs are starting to appear and can be config'd on the Ford website, are you no longer able to order a 2006 (you're stuck with what's on the lot)?

On a related note, did I read correctly that the new Drive on Us program will include the 2006 FEH? :surprise:
  • 148522148522 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2007 model on Memorial Day. The dealer said he just got the car in last week.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview current hybrid owners who purchased a hybrid within the past year or two. The reporter is wanting to know if you have been satisfied or not with the gas savings you’ve been receiving. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the make and model of your hybrid vehicle.

------------------

A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who are looking to purchase a hybrid vehicle and are looking at it from a financial standpoint, hoping to save money from the high cost of fuel. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, June 10, 2006 by 5:00 PM PT/8:00 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and the hybrid vehicle you are considering.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • larneslarnes Member Posts: 59
    Mine does not have the Nav system. I wanted to save a few bucks.

Consider it a blessing in disguise. I had a Garmin 2610 I used in my last car and considered selling it when we got the new Escape. I'm glad I kept it. In my opinion, the Ford navigating system is inferior. In fact, a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. The Garmin is much better. This seems to be a common opinion. Many people I've talked to agree; factory nav systems are just not that good. And too expensive. Get an after-market one.
  • alwynalwyn Member Posts: 9
    We owned a 2004 CRV prior to our FEH 4WD 2006-CRV less tipable-better rollover resistence-seemed lower-squatier-so would give the edge to CRV-But as I did not think would happen-wife loves to drive this even better than the CRV 2004 and 2002 that owned before FEH. If CRV had a Hybrid 2007 we wouldn't even think about the FEH-because of the workmanship and relibility and resale values-BUT CRV has no plans for CRV Hybrid in 2007 as understand.
    Understand the 2007 FEH has the DVD Navigation improved over the 2006 CD 12 Disc Navigation-Can anyone advise as to this true? Am weighing a FEH FWD 2007 against a Sport trac 2007 purchase this week
    1318&1319 Air Conditioning-Both correct-we on our 2006 EH/Nav have dropped 4MPG-test every fill up-if traveling on Highway the other two ACmodes sufficient-under 30 MPH have to use Max-also probably the extreme cold regions will drop the MPG-ours has around 12,000 miles-as to Nav-2007 Escape still has same CD type Regional-did not improve as with the 2007 Sport trac DVD type-
  • elaineannelaineann Member Posts: 3
    I am a sirius addict. I've had it for 3 years. The only downside
    has been all the extra wires around the dash due to my Sportster.

I was very excited when I bought my 2007 FEH hybrid last week
    because the stereo is "satellite radio ready." Which usually means
    that you just have to add a tuner and antenna and you're ready to
    go. Cost to do that would normally be around $100-$150. When I made
    some inquiries about upgrading it at the dealer, I was shocked to
    find that to do it with this radio you supposedly have to use Ford's
    tuner and harness - TO THE TUNE OF $538.

When I talked to the installer, I said, well, it would be less
    expensive for me to buy a better stereo plus tuner at Circuit City
    and have it put it. He told me that the car will not run correctly
    with another stereo in it - I DO NOT have the Nav system, just the 6
    CD changer - because of computer problems and that I might void my
    warranty.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Has anyone replaced their Ford stereo in the Escape Hybrid? Has it
    affected the way your car runs?

Has anyone successfully added on a Kenwood Sirius $99 tuner without
    coughing up the $538 to Ford?

I have to say that the sound quality on my stereo is pretty poor -
    the worst sounding car stereo I've had in years. I wouldn't
    hesitate to replace it in a minute, if it weren't for the warning
    that I might screw up my car and void my warranty.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I wouldn't hesitate to replace it in a minute, if it weren't for the warning that I might screw up my car and void my warranty.

I have heard "satellite ready" with the Toyota hybrids as well. One of the reasons I would not own one. I think Toyota charges in the $700 range to add XM/Sirius. I bought my GMC with XM factory installed and love it. I just don't trust any dealer installed equipment. I went through that with Honda and never again. I would make sure that whoever you buy the Stereo from is aware that it is a hybrid. That they will accept responsibility in writing for anything they may do that messes up the hybrid operation. The auto makers are making it very difficult with all the complexity and integration to add anything except through them. It is a pain for sure. Good luck. Next time check out the stereo system and have the Sirius part of the original deal.
  • fjpatriotfjpatriot Member Posts: 3
    We ordered a 2007 escape hybrid w Premium package. The web sites, including fords, list Med/Dark Flint as only interior color choice. If you look at any of the interior seat pictures though they show a light gray leather seat, which is NOT EVEN CLOSE to the Med/Dark Flint swatches. So what is the correct color of the Premium Package Leather seats??? My guess is the photos are from a previous model year or something. Thanks for any help!
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    Unfortunately, the gray color you see in actual the vehicle is the only color interior available. Perhaps in '08 models they will add an option? :confuse:
  • elaineannelaineann Member Posts: 3
    The seats in the 360 view look like the "regular" medium flint leather. The premium leather is the dark flint, so I'm guessing that they are not showing the premium leather seats, just the optional leather seats that someone can add on without the premium package.

But why not call Ford and ask them yourself if the shade of gray is a big deal to you? (it wouldn't matter to me - anything but TAN would do) They are very helpful on the phone.
  • martharhoadesmartharhoades Member Posts: 9
    Someone on the Toyota Highlander hybrid forum recently posted that Ford has abandoned their hybrid effort and is focusing on E85 cars instead. Anyone know if this is true?
  • fjpatriotfjpatriot Member Posts: 3
    No - they actually produced an Escape hybrid that runs on E85. What they did do was back off on a promise to produce 250K hybrids by the end of the decade. Instead they will concentrate on doing alt fuel vehicles, while still doing hybrids. Read all about it here:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/AUTO01/606290380/1148-
    Thanks, the article was helpful. Too bad they are backing off their committment to produce 250,000 a year by 2010. Wonder if they are having too many problems with them. Glad to see they will keep working on it.
    Thanks, the article was helpful. Too bad they are backing off their commitment to produce 250,000 a year by 2010. Wonder if they are having too many problems with them. Glad to see they will keep working on it.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Too bad they are backing off their commitment to produce 250,000

It has to do with parts. The same reason that Toyota is not building as many as they had projected. Aisin builds the HSD portion for both Ford and Toyota. Toyota put the squeeze on their fellow Japanese Aisin and Ford is having a hard time getting parts.
  • donbarondonbaron Member Posts: 13
    Oh yes!! My Mariner Hybride easily gets the advertised 33mpg around town. On the highway I do get the advertised 29mpgs when the AC is off. When the AC is on I get 28mpg.. It is also important to note that I leave the AC in the Recycle mode. I also use BP gasoline 87 oct exclusively. (This petroleum performs better than the higher sulfur content fuels from S America.) Don
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to purchase a fuel-efficient car, such as a hybrid or a subcompact car, versus buying a pickup truck. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you purchased and what pickup truck you were considering buying.
  • waltawalta Member Posts: 13
    Yea, Ford calls it "Dark Flint", but us normal people would call it black.

I went with the Mariner Hybrid, and one of the reasons was that it came with a tan (really pebble) interior.
  • waltawalta Member Posts: 13
    Oh, I wish that was true.

As far as I know, the 2007 Nav system is still the 12 disc CD version used in previous model years.

Just to make it worse, far worse, is that the 12 discs have never been updated. The 2007 models are being delivered to customers with the same 2005 version discs. For map data from Navteq, that is VERY outdated.
    Having owned an Acura with an OEM Navigation system (manufactured by Alpine) since 2001, the system in the FEH is extremely lacking.....almost a joke. Any system that goes for more than $1000 today should be DVD or HDD based and include a database for the entire US without having to change disks. Current aftermarket (dash-mount) models are light-years ahead of what I saw when I bought my 2006 FEH. The most recent models have voice recognition, etc. I am going to install a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my FEH as soon as I save up the $1800. BTW, I just updated the Nav in my Acura by purchasing a new DVD with up-to-date maps for $99. Comes with DIY instructions on how to remove the old DVD and insert the new one and a 1-800 number if you have problems. I guess it all depends on what you are familiar with. Demo a Honda Nav system to see how one should work (for close to $2000).
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I am going to install a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my FEH as soon as I save up the $1800. "

I thought the hybrid displays and HVAC controls went through the NAV system, so you can't replace it?
    Yes, I would enjoy having the "fancy" hybrid cartoon display but I could not get the exterior color options I wanted with the 'premium package' that included the Nav, Hyb Display, etc..........so I went with the color combo when I bought the truck. I have the "low-end" 6-CD changer that works well but is rather low quality. I already changed out all four of the VERY low quality speakers. The head unit is next. None of other systems in the car are dependant on the factory radio/nav/hybrid display.....And the aftermarket units will not display hybrid system functions (as far as I can tell).

HVAC controls may share a wiring harness somewhere in the truck but they are certainly not dependant on the NAV system

I've seen photos in other forums of Double-DIN sized head units installed in the FEH. They fit the length and width of the hole but not the depth....some minimal amount of plastic has to be removed to get units of this size to fully recess into the dash.

I've heard other rumors about what can and cannot be replaced in the FEH. Mostly started by unknowing dealer employees trying to sell something.
  • edhedh65edhedh65 Member Posts: 3
    I recently saw the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 online at the camera pros.com for $ 1399.00 1800-577-6791.

I am looking to install one in my 2005 FEH but I do not know if the large unit- needs a 4" opening will fit. I have an audio installer looking into now. If you have any additional information re: how it would fit please advise.

Eric
    I have questioned several installers (including Crutchfield) and they say the Escape opening is big enough for a Double-DIN sized head unit but that other items behind the dash keep the units from going "all the way in". Several others report only having to remove some minor material to get these units to fit all the way flush.
    The thread at this address has some pictures:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/aftermarket-stereos.2810.html?page=3&pp=10

Good luck, let me know what you find out.
  • larneslarnes Member Posts: 59
    I'm glad I kept it. In my opinion, the Ford navigating system is inferior. In fact, a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].

I did the exact same thing. Kept my Garmin 2610. The Ford nav system is crap.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Could the AWD Ford Escape hybrid or Mariner be converted to RWD by removing and discarding both front halfshafts and finding a way to keep the rear driveline electromagnetic clutch fully engaged?

Thinking about buying one for 4-down tow vehicle behind our MH and this would also allow me to uncouple all four wheels from the driveline while towing. Additionally it is my firm belief that FWD and front torque biased AWD vehicles are patently UNSAFE for driving in wintertime roadbed conditions.

Anyone know enough details about the method of coupling in the rear driveline to offer advice?