Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• Options
    rileykrileyk Member Posts: 3
    You being a technician on the FEH, I wonder if you have any insight on the 2009. Specifically, the AC. I'm considering ordering a 2009 but I understand the AC can be frustrating because it cuts off when the car is stopped. The only way to keep it running is to put the AC on MAX which causes the gas engine to start so the AC can run. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a hybrid. I called the Ford customer line and asked if they knew if this issue would be corrected in the 2009 model. I was told that information was not available at this time. Any suggestions as to how I can find out?
  • Options
    dhuang2dhuang2 Member Posts: 15
    The current engine-driven A/C compressor will not be replaced until 2010. Even with the electric compressor, the fully electric model will not last long due to A/C does require significant power (~5 kW) from battery. This power requirement is as mush as the residential A/C for a medium house. I don't need A/C running all the time, it is not that bad as A/C cut off during stop before the traffic light. When it is hot, I usually force the A/C on all the time, but I still got the satisfactory fuel economy (~29 mpg, 2008 FEH 2WD). The regular Escape with I4 engine will get about 20~22 mpg. :)
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I agree....
  • Options
    dmatterndmattern Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering installing side step bars on my 2007 FEH as my wife finds it a bit of a climb, especially when trying to avoid muddy side panels. I have two concerns:

1 - Is there anything unique about the FEH that will interfere with side steps designed for a non-hybrid Escape? (I'm looking at Westin and they say they will work without drilling).

2 - Will the side steps cause enough turbulence to noticeably decrease my mileage?

Anyone with relevant experience?
  • Options
    rdubowrdubow Member Posts: 1
    The airbag stickers are very annoying. I took them off leaving a residue imprint. I've used Goof Off to try to remove the residue with no luck (it worked on another car). Has anyone had the same problem, and if so, any solution for how to remove entirely?
  • Options
    ursacatursacat Member Posts: 32
    Order the Ford OEM Factory Step Bars. They fit seamlessly. The "aftermarket" brands don;t fir the lines. Unles you like the aftermarket look.

Regards
  • Options
    charmandercharmander Member Posts: 2
    A wrench light icon came on my 2008 Ford hybrid escape instrument panel. Any ideas on what it means?
  • Options
    bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    It is a mechanical/electrical problem of some sort. Take it to the dealer ASAP. Could be minor or major.
  • Options
    dgr124dgr124 Member Posts: 9
    Have been very interested in FEH and MMH for several years, but the costs kept me away, although I realize in many cases they don't make a lot of sense financially anyway. I know someone who is a rural mail carrier that bought a used one (not sure the year) and loves it. New ones are nowhere to be found in the region. An area dealer has '08 Mariner on his lot. 7900 miles, not top of the line with few options, 4WD/AWD. Asking $27600. Does that price seem about right? We are talking about at $5K difference. Salesperson said it was traded in because the people couldn't afford payments on it, and bought a Focus. Of course I have no idea if he is lying or not (Sorry sales people). Seems like a lot especially now with the reg. FE and MM with special current incentives in low $20s new comparably equiped.
    What should I look for OR look out for in a used one? I have read a lot here about problems in winter. I am in WI. It is in garage at night and when not used. I have 2 vehicles. Also, how long (days) can it sit without being run? I use my Ranger mostly in winter. Are some quirks showing up in the '08s? Any years to avoid or look out for? Should I ask for a CARFAX report? Contact previous owner? Escape VS. Mariner. Any important differences good or bad I should be aware of?
    Would appreciate advice or info that might help me get a good vehicle at a good price.
    Maybe it would be better to wait for the new Fusion and Milan hybrids. But any idea of the projected price of them? I understand their will be significant differences in the hybrid system. Salesperson said they should start to show up in first quarter of '09.
    Thanks anyone/everyone!
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Does his choice of the Escape hybrid to make the drive to DC give the FEH a boost?
  • Options
    bmdoublebmdouble Member Posts: 4
    In my opinion it cannot hurt,due to the fact that there is not enough exposure for for the FEH.I love mustangs and muscle trucks as much as the next guy,but we need to be smarter and more responsible these days! I am glad that Mr. Mulally chose the Escape Hybrid,even if it takes second place to a citation X!
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Now we have news stories questioning whether it was actually cheaper for the CEO's to drive to DC rather than fly :confuse:

I am really getting tired of this "look for the absolute worst in everything" approach
  • Options
    scottchscottch Member Posts: 9
    I haven't heard of any serious winter problems. I've driven mine in the Sierras up and down twisty 7200' passes in snow storms without problem. Of course, it doesn't get really cold in CA... rarely below about 10 degrees even at night. Pricewise, $27,600 is more than I paid for my 2008 FEH with a fair amount of options (4WD, leather, premium stereo... but no nav, no sunroof). I saw an ad for $4000 off sticker on 2009 FEHs in SF Bay Area recently. Hopefully, you can buy a used one for less than the price of a new one, but you might have to go out of state to find one.
  • Options
    mtnman8mtnman8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 FEH with NAV and AWD. It has about 38K miles on it. The truck has been excellent, but a problem turned up right after the warranty ran out. The NAV screen has an option to display recent mpg. It is now only reading 8-9 mpg, when my actual mileage hasn't changed from the usual 28-30.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the problem and how to fix it?
  • Options
    mverburgmverburg Member Posts: 2
    I ordered an 09 FEH Limited 4x4. The sales rep said we'd negotiate a better deal when the vehicle came in. It just arrived, so now i'm looking to find out what deals are out there. I read a previous post of 4K off MSRP. That would be less than invoice correct? With Gas as low as it is(hybrid demand down) and auto sales at a halt, i would think there would be decent deals on the new FEH right now. What have you guys seen? What do you suggest? Anyone paid under invoice, if so where? thanks!!
  • Options
    scottchscottch Member Posts: 9
    I put a deposit on an in-stock '08 in December 2007. The sales rep suggested that I take delivery between Christmas and New Years because Ford traditionally had some big incentives that week. I guess everyone is out of money and the factory and dealers want to close their books for the year. Sure enough, when I picked up the car after Christmas, there was a better deal than I had originally negotiated. I paid invoice minus $1,100. Dealers still make money selling under invoice; see http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Note that Incentives vary weekly, by region, and by model. The local (SF Bay Area) store shows 27 Escape Hybrids in stock. Given the economic situation, I'm positive that deals are out there, but you may have to phone/fax/email/travel to find one in stock. It's no big deal; I once bought a hard-to-find car from a dealer 2000 miles away, the whole deal done over phone and fax.
  • Options
    mverburgmverburg Member Posts: 2
    Scottch, thank you for the info and link. It was most helpful. After many emails/IM's with dealers from San Diego to San Francisco, i've finally received quotes at and close to invoice price on an 09 FEH. I'm still going to hold off a little longer to see if FORD releases any discounts(employee pricing) to the Hybrid line as it is doing for its other vehicles. Anyone out there have any upcoming knowledge or suggestions?
  • Options
    coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Looks like Ford has now passed 100,000 Escape/Tribute/Mariner Hybrids.
    100,000 Hybrids Reached Article click here

Article also says 1,400 taxis in NYC, and 250 San Francisco taxis in use. Pretty good field testing. I'd love to know details of where the weak spots have turned up in all that collective experience.
  • Options
    carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    With an electric AC it would have been a much better car. Got to ride in Override all summer here in Florida. :sick:
  • Options
    batrobbatrob Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a pre owned 09 ford escape hybird. I had a honda fit(thought good mpg's) and previously had a 03 highlander.
    I'm loving the escape and very glad ford is coming back :) !.
    two questions:
    1)bug deflector: worth it? will it reduce mpgs eiether city or highway?
    2) I'm aware that you cant really tow in a hybird. I was going to install a hitch to accomdate a bike rack. any recommendations? will a hitch and bike rack also reduce mpgs?

thanks in advance
    Rob
  • Options
    christophchristoph Member Posts: 10
    I called a local bike shop, told them what type of vehicle I had and they installed a 2" receiver on the rear of my '06 Escape Hybrid for $200. I've used it for the bike rack for years, no problem.
  • Options
    jdixsonjdixson Member Posts: 10
    Re the bike rack: If you do not already have a hitch, look at the Thule 911. It fits the Mariner 2008 Hybrid perfectly. Goes on and off in a jiff. More solid and stable than the more expensive Saris rack.

Thanks
    John Dixson
  • Options
    mikeharpermikeharper Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    wisillwisill Member Posts: 9
    I don't believe this is totally correct. I have run ethanol blends of up to 30% with no problems on my 2005 FEH. I am aware of other individuals that have run higher blends (05 and 09 versions) with conversion kits for thousands of miles. These individuals can run up to around E50 before the fuel mixture becomes too lean. Higher blends require E85 conversion kits or other modifications.
  • Options
    escapeforeverescapeforever Member Posts: 4
    It seems to me that "high" mileage is no longer the question to ask -- at least, not for the most part. I recall when reaching 100,000 miles was cause for a major celebration and most everyone was amazed. Nowadays it seems that 200,000 isn't all that special. My 99 Chev pickup has 200,000 and it's not all that far from looking and running like new. My 06 Ford Escape has 80,000 and I hope it's just getting warmed up. I put more effort into looking at the time .... how old the vehicle is. I'd be hard pressed to buy a 20 year old vehicle, especially if it only had 10,000 miles on it. This, especially given safety features and improved emissions controls. Car like to be driven and not to sit for long periods. That's why taxicabs can run up huge mileage without serious drive train problems. That starting up and shutting down and cooling off periods are tough on vehicles. Vehicles that sit for long periods can be big trouble. Times have changed and vehicles have too. Those of us old enuf can recall that cars were pulled over to the side of the road changing a tire regularly. Now it's a rarity and there are lot more cars on the road. Tires are practically foolproof. Engines, transmissions, exhaust systems are much the same.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It seems to me that "high" mileage is no longer the question to ask -- at least, not for the most part. I recall when reaching 100,000 miles was cause for a major celebration and most everyone was amazed. "

This is true for conventional propulsion systems, but the hybrid systems use batteries, which of course weaken over time. That is the chief worry, since the federal Hybrid warranty tops out at either 120K or 150K, depending on the state where the FEH was purchased. I've seen the packs quoted at $4000 - $6000 to replace.
  • Options
    roni4roni4 Member Posts: 2
    I intend to import from USA Ford Escape hybrid 2008. However according to the European regulations the headlights can be only
    HB4+HB3 or H9 and H11. Are one of these types is installed in the 2008 model or in any of the previous models??
  • Options
    I intend to import from USA Ford Escape hybrid 2008. However according to the European regulations the headlights can be only
    HB4+HB3 or H9 and H11. Are one of these types is installed in the 2008 model or in any of the previous models?? "

No one is likely to know; Americans are not familiar with European standards.

My suggestion is that you contact your local Ford dealer and ask him. As far as I know the Escape is not a "world car"; i.e., it was not intended to be used outside of the US. It may not have been tested to European crash standards, for example, and Ford may not even manufacture EU spec headlights.

But the Ford dealer is vital for another reason; the hybrid system requires special expertise from the Ford maintenance folks - a European dealer may not have such expertise. So ask about the headlights, but also ask if they can maintain the FEH to Ford USA standards.
  • Options
    roni4roni4 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer, It seems that I'll have give up.
  • Options
    hoyafanhoyafan Member Posts: 48
    I'm not sure you have to give up. From 2005-2008, Ford sold the Maverick in Europe. The Maverick in Europe is the Escape in the US (except no hybrid version was sold in Europe). Simply contact a European Ford dealer and ask about the headlights. I assume the headlights on a Maverick are the same on a FEH. If not, I assume it's an easy job to retrofit with headlights ordered by the European dealer.
  • Options
    "I'm not sure you have to give up. From 2005-2008, Ford sold the Maverick in Europe. The Maverick in Europe is the Escape in the US (except no hybrid version was sold in Europe). Simply contact a European Ford dealer and ask about the headlights. I assume the headlights on a Maverick are the same on a FEH. If not, I assume it's an easy job to retrofit with headlights ordered by the European dealer. "

Well, let's hope that is true. Ford currently markets the Kuga in Europe.

The issue I see is that Ford redesigned the Escape in 2008, and I believe that those headlights would be different than the prior years.

Anyway, we agree: see your local Ford dealer!
  • Options
    calcuttawalacalcuttawala Member Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to purchase a Ford Escape Hybrid - 2007 with 80K miles on it from the company I work for. These are probably mostly highway miles. I like the vehicle and am wondering if this car would last another 80-100K with the appropriate maintenance? I am simply not 100% sold on the vehicle's durability and engine life. Thoughts?
  • Options
    llh1107llh1107 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid with 26k miles on it- I could purchase it for $24k. I need some quick advice so I can make a decision in the next day or so.

I am a mid-20's female and know very little about mechanics, much less hybrids. I do understand how they work in general, though.

First off, is the mileage and price mentioned above reasonable? Is 26k miles considered "high mileage" for a hybrid- If not, what is high mileage? I want this car to last me for the next 6-7 years.

How long do the batteries last and how much do they cost to replace if needed? What other components in the hybrid that are not in the conventional car are a high cost part to have replaced? It scares me a bit getting into something so high-tech- Seems like it could be extremely pricey to fix in the future.

Is getting a Hybrid really worth it? I drive a GMC Envoy XL now and just want a smaller SUV. All the space I have now is not necessary.

I just need some help- Is it worth it? Is it a costly vehicle to repair? How long do they last- What is considered "high mileage?" I just want to make sure the cost of the car is worth it and that it will be a very reliable car for me for a number of years to come.

Appreciate any honest opinions- Help!
  • Options
    bmdoublebmdouble Member Posts: 4
    not a bad price for an average escape hybrid.there are several variables like 2wd or 4wd,sunroof,leather and overall condition.What state are you in?the factory warranty in california is extended more than other states,even though in any state it is a good warranty! I think you are good if you decide on buying it,I am a Hybrid tech and have personally recommended my family to buy one!I call them my babies because they are awesome,and all of my hybrid owners love them! 10,000 mile oil change intervals,over 100,000 miles between brake jobs,etc.etc. let me know if you have any more?s. good luck! :)
  • Options
    uvroweruvrower Member Posts: 10
    I am having a very unusual problem that is becoming a real safety issue. I have a 2007 FWD FEH with 28,000 miles. FYI, the battery pack was replaced at 18,000 miles because the control module failed.

This problem occurs about 10% of the time. When slowing down, in electric or gas mode, at about 12 - 15 mph, the car does a small lurch forward, as if downshifting and speeding up a bit. The anti skid light flickers. Its just like a little bump from the car behind you. The Ford dealer used the hotline that says this is normal when the battery gets 100% charged, yet it happens even when not fully charged. I am not satisfied with this answer and it will be even trickier in winter weather.

Has anyone had this happen or know of a possible cause?

Thanks
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    During the winter, colder periods, the Escape will not use regen braking as much as in warmer climates. Ford has a US patent that applies to this technique. In addition the very instant wheelspin/slip is detected regen will be CANCELLED.

It is NEVER a good idea to have regen or engine compression braking on the drive wheels of a FWD or F/awd vehicle that cannot be over-riden by ABS. VW has just introduced a technique wherein the engine of their FWD vehicles will be up-revved automatically should the driver inadvertently downshift their manual transaxles to a level that results in wheel slip due to too much engine compression braking on a low trcation surface.

When you see the anti-skid light "flicker" you can make a safe bet, a VERY safe bet, that regen has just been cancelled. Very often that alone is enough to alleviate the dangers of wheelspin/slip of the front wheels on a FWD or F/awd vehicle.
  • Options
    Will Ford adopt some of the new Toyota HSD features...??

Like extended VVT-i to keep the dynamic compression ratio equal to the static ratio unless the cylinder "charge" is too high for a 13:1 CR.

DFI coming...? When..?
  • Options
    cruisin66cruisin66 Member Posts: 12
    I mentioned this in other forums, but felt it was worth repeating... If you own a Ford Escape Hybrid (or any Ford car), you should enroll in the Ford Owners (http://www.fordowner.com) website. Its everything online, and allows you to keep track of your cars’ complete maintenance records, calendar/mileage of recommended maintenance, and tons of coupons to use when you have your car checked at a Ford dealer.
  • Options
    imcooknimcookn Member Posts: 7
    Our FEH needs new tires. What do you recommend for a quiet tire? Are there tradeoffs for this?
  • Options
    Bridgestone Turanza summer use only.
  • Options
    malibuskymalibusky Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2008, just hit 90,000 miles...do I need to start worrying about battery replacement?

Thanks
  • Options
    "I have a 2008, just hit 90,000 miles...do I need to start worrying about battery replacement? "

If you live in a CARB state, the battery is warranted for 150K miles. However there are some NYC taxis that have over 300K on them.
  • Options
    2005_hybrid2005_hybrid Member Posts: 2
    ...And virtually no problems (yet)...
  • Options
    malibuskymalibusky Member Posts: 15
    I actually just recently replaced my "regular" battery. The last week or so, when the car is cold, if I turn on the ignition, the car will not start unless I push on the gas...it was not like this before. Do you thing my new battery may be defective? I haven't had a chance to take it back to the dealer as of yet but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks
  • Options
    backyakerbackyaker Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    dgcarlson1dgcarlson1 Member Posts: 8
    I bought an'08 Ford Escape Hybrid new in July '07. I now have 105,000 miles on it. I have been very pleased with the vehicle, especially with the driving I have to do. I avg ~ 29-30 mpg. I had to replace the fuel pump at 70k (~ $400 w/ labor - the part is ~ $80).

I am taking it in tomorrow because my throttle/powertrain warning light is coming on - the vehicle, it is still driving fine, but when the light comes on better find out why.
  • Options
    carysblueskycarysbluesky Member Posts: 36
    covered under the 10 yr warranty as a package? Or do I have to pay the $500+ to my Ford dealer because a Wrench lite indicates that the "cooling fans for the HVB needs to be addressed." I've read where the fans are part of the Battery Warranty and then where they are not. :sick:
  • Options
    "covered under the 10 yr warranty as a package? Or do I have to pay the $500+ to my Ford dealer because a Wrench lite indicates that the "cooling fans for the HVB needs to be addressed." I've read where the fans are part of the Battery Warranty and then where they are not."

The fans are not covered, but the dealer is not supposed to break into the battery pack (the fans are part of the pack). Have the dealer put in a request to replace the battery pack assembly (which includes the pack and fan), and it should be covered. There have been several reports on the Internet of this repair being covered under the hybrid warranty.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A news reporter would like to talk with hybrid car owners in Northern California. If you fit the description, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 25, 2012.
  • Options
    caescape2008caescape2008 Member Posts: 4
    This usually happens when it is hot outside (85 degrees and up). After driving on the freeway for an hour or more, I will exit the freeway and come to a stop at the end of the freeway exit ramp. When I press the accelerator, it goes all the way to the floor with no resistance and nothing happens. The hybrid doesn't move. After leaving my foot on the pedal for a bit, the car will finally move but very very sluggishly. Sometimes this issue will go away after driving the car on street roads for about 20 minutes. Sometimes I need to park it and just wait 20 - 30 minutes for the car to cool down and then its fine until my next long trip on the freeway. I took it to the dealership once and they of course found nothing wrong with it. Any insight or suggestions are gladly welcomed.