Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Hybrid

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What about modules of styrofoam that would be cheap and easy to replace?

Saturn had a similar idea.

-juice
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    True, but hasn't Saturn half abandoned the composite panels now? I think half of a Saturn is now metal.
    Hmm, I think only the minivan has metal panels, the rest are still using plastic, for now.

-juice
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The minivan? Are you referring to the VUE? I think the front and back ends are metal on that thing but the doors are still plastic.
    Hmmm, anyone for a styrofoam car?

How about something like the safety foam, that hardens to form a cocoon around the occupants, that was used in the movie The Demolition Man instead. ;)
    No, I meant the Relay. That's their upcoming van. The Vue is their SUV (sorta) and I realize it's plastic on the sides.

-juice
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    The Doors and front fenders of Saturns are generally polymer plastics. My friend has had the S, L, and Vue. Now from the new Relay minivan, on...it'll be steel panels all over. Polymer panels leave huge gaps to allow for contract and expansion.

Can't do a totally styrofoam car, it doesn't have much substaintial rigidy, even if compacted and plastic coated.
    Ah. Forgot about that thing. The Relay is the one that looks like the rest of GM's minivans right? Kind of trucklike and goofy looking?

ANT,
    Any word on when Ford will make the hybrid "Futura", or whatever they're calling it now, available? Right at launch next year?
    Yeah, they basically put a nose on the old narrow vans and called it all new.

Is the Futura going to be smaller than the 500?

To bring this back on topic, I wonder if the next Escape will share the Mazda6 platform, which will be used by several Fords soon.

-juice
    Bagg,
    2006 as a 2007 model...as well as it's Mercury twin. They are hoping Sanyo relocates enough battery packs to allow for higher sales of Hybrids.

Ateix
    Yes it'll be smaller than the 500, but competitively huge where it counts in the inside.

The next Escape will be loosely based on a Focus C1 platform... As will the Tribute, Mariner, and LR Freelander.

The Mazda6 derived SUV that Ford will debut, comes out in 2006-07. Essentially it'll be a FWD/AWD Explorer sized unibody SUV, such as a Pilot/Highlander for example.
    I think you said that before, my short-term memory is failing me...

Are you talking about the Freestyle?

-juice
  • dave2222dave2222 Member Posts: 78
    To answer the questions about the futura lets start. The futura has been renamed by ford to the Ford Fusion. It will be placed between the Five Hundred and Focus. Its a midsize car based off the 6 platform with the 427 styling( I suggest you look at the 427 concept car).
    Its emissions will meet Tier 2 Bin 5 and ULEV
    Engines: 3.0L Duratec, 3.5L Duratec
    Transmission: CVT, 6-speed auto
    Drives: AWD, 4WD, FWD
    Interior- its designed to be more luxurious and family friendly than the Mazda 6.
    Pricing (approx. from people at ford ive talked to): 18K-24K.
    Competition: Camry, Accord, C-Class cars.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    That 427 is just plain awesome - if the Fusion resembles it strongly, they may have a real winner there.
  • f111df111d Member Posts: 114
    Also know as, your "forgetter" works better than your "rememberer" does!!
    Paul
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    and now back to the discussion at hand: Ford Escape Hybrid.
    Also know as, your "forgetter" works better than your "rememberer" does!!
    Paul
    OOPS! I was trying to correct KNOW to KNOWN and ended up in a forum I never seen before. Diesel forum. Now if I can just figure out how to get back there?
    Anyhow I'll type this again that didn't show up. If anyone knows of any web sites related to Three phase generation, inverters/etc that might be applied to Automotive hybrids appreciate an e-mail. Thanks again.
    Paul
    To the Host I'll go back to the home page and go from there.
  • gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    I'm certainly not going to buy one first year out, but in light of the Escape's mediocre NHTSA ratings, I'm wondering if the lower center of gravity presumably provided by the batteries in the Hybrid will make it handle any better? Will crash-avoidance manuverability be affected? Any thoughts?
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    i read somewhere that the hybrid escape will have avalable the side curtain safety canopy AND the seat mounted side air bag. is that true?
  • calhybrid222calhybrid222 Member Posts: 4
    I paid my deposit. Dealer told me Sept.

I have some exotic plans pending receipt of the vehicle. I plan to pull the rear seats out to reduce weight. I hired a body shop to drill racing perfs in the panels. I hired a Stanford electronics professor to figure out how to put a switch on to go 100% electric when i want to, how to add batteries i can remove when i want to enhance range, and how to charge it from my solar panels at my house. I'm going to go for an MPG record on it.. anybody want to have an MPG race with me? (Means you will have to cut yours up too..)

Anybody got other ideas on how to lighten it up or increase the MPG potential?
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Welcome to the Forum. Did your dealer say what place you are in the wait list? My dealer has 100 people waiting. Ford says only one Escape per dealer per month. Hope you get yours to have fun with...
    I'm #1 on the list. Just heard via here I wont see it til Oct. Now.. Drat...

http://www.motortrend.com/features/news/112_news26/
    Number one is good. You will probably be one of the few that get one this year. We anticipate reading about your experience with the new Ford technology.
    Wow, calhybrid222, good luck with that project!

Try to make sure everything you do is reversible, just in case...

Are you a Mech E. student or something? This could be your Thesis!

-juice
    I'm not a Mech E but I called the Universities and posted on Craigslist, and the like, to find them to help me. You can do the same in your area. Ton's of engineering students would love to work on this only they can't afford the car. You get the car and offer to let them go for it and everybody wins. Yes.. Everything will be reversible. The rear seats weigh a bunch and it is just a ratchet wrench. You get a huge amount of additional storage room then.
    I guess a 2 seater is all you need? But with lots of cargo space?

I'm curious as to why you wouldn't start with a cheaper Civic hybrid or Prius.

-juice
    I'll have an aluminum rail made so i can drop the rear seats back in. Yes.. tons of picnic, camping, portable office, transport room.. depending on the need. I have a honda civic hybrid now.. no room. I want a portable office back there
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    How about the spare tire & rim cal ? I'll pass on the MPG race for now ... somebody at craigslist.com is using my sig though (or is it the other way around)

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
    1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
    2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)
    Sounds cool, just make sure the seat track is very sturdy so it doesn't compromise passenger safety. Also, all that equipment should be strapped down so you don't have flying projectiles in a crash.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress!

-juice
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in speaking with consumers who intend to purchase the Lexus RX 400h, Ford Escape or Honda Accord. If you would like to speak with this reporter about why you’re interested in purchasing one of these vehicles, please contact Jeannine Fallon, Edmunds.com PR Director, at jfallon@edmunds.com. The reporter needs any responses by end-of-day Monday, August 30. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    price listed was 29290 (firm!).
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    wow...$10k more than I paid for my Maxx; and the price you posted probably does not include all the extras. Sure glad I didn't wait. I think these prices will help Toyota sell more Highlander hybrids when they debut.
    I bet most HL hybrids will come in at around $35k. That target audience likes 'em loaded up.

One feature Prius owners rave about is the Bluetooth, something I consider a high-end feature.

-juice
    Looks like more delays on the Hybrid Escape.

http://www.arifleet.com/production.html#fdcars
  • minpaminpa Member Posts: 1
    My Brother inlaw works for Toyota Corp. Ford did not design their hybrid system. They tried and failed and asked Toyota for the computer system. They still couldn't get it to work. So they bought the whole system from toyota. Nissian is doing this already but the cars are not available in North America.
     So if you want to buy a butchered hybrid from FORD be my guest. Toyota has 2 hybrid Suv's in 05. Why people by Gm or ford is beyond me. BTW Toyota is building more and more cars in the States and helping the Economy. Ford and GM are building more in MEXICO. So help Americans out and buy Japanese.
    If anyone deserves a reward for lots of talk with little action its Ford for the Escape hybrid but am glad to see them get good reviews, now if they can keep it up - snip - GRITZINGER: This may have been the ultimate Woodward Dream Cruiser. Before you start holding your belly and rolling on the floor laughing, consider this: Most of the time I spent stuck in the world’s most glorious traffic jam, the gasoline engine was never running. Over the course of two visits to the cruise, the gas gauge never appeared to move. Try that with whatever heap of polished ’60s scrap iron you want.
    http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100692
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    > One feature Prius owners rave about

The real draw is the feedback the Multi-Display provides, which is standard on all models of Prius.

So I'm quite interested how the Escape-Hybrid wannabees order their vehicle... since only the high-end model offers a display.

JOHN
    Toyota doesn't have any hybrid SUVs yet, we'll see when the delays finally stop and they actually deliver. For now it's vaporware.

-juice
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    quote- bags32 It's already been established that the pricing will most likely be in the $23,000-$25,000 range which is a premium over the I4 Escape (as mentioned above).-end

Take a look at history. Post 280 to 292. The price of an Escape is $28,000 plus and some people are better predictors of the future than others.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Minpa, your brother in law is wrong. Ford independently developed the Escape Hybrid system, then found that some of what they developed might likely infringe on some of Toyota's already filed patents. Thus they bought a license agreement in advance in order to avoid any legal issues.

This is much different situation than "buying" Toyota's hybrid system.
    Also, Toyota turned around and licensed some of Ford's technology.

It's a cooperative effort.

-juice
    FEH isn't vaporware corse its not available in my neck of the woods yet - snip - After waiting three long years, Bill Hammons was eager to get the keys to his new hybrid Ford Escape. And it's no exaggeration to say Ford Motor Co. was just as eager to hand them over to the Linda Vista resident. Yesterday, Hammons became the first person in the country to own an Escape Hybrid http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news60/
  • drivereddrivered Member Posts: 1
    To say they are helping the economy is only partly true. The only part of the American economy that it is helping is those select workers. Everything in a Japanese car plant in the US is brought over from Japan from their parts to equipment racks to the lift trucks they use. The money the make (after paying the workers and taxes) goes back to Japan. Buying American puts the money back into the American economy. The actual workers that work in the assembly plants pale in comparison to the numbers of workers that are employed by the suppliers. So by buying a foreign car you are not only laying off American automobile employees, you are doing the same to all the others that supply them with their parts. There is nothing wrong when you export your product and sell it overseas, the problem is when you export your product and tax the hell out of imports so your own people cannot afford to buy or insure them so there is no competition (Japan). They have no competition so they can jack up the prices for their own people and sell them cheap here.

One of my biggest problems is people driving foreign cars and putting an American flag on them. I don't know about anyone else, but I will buy and "inferior" product to support my neighbors and countrymen.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Actually, every American employee working at a Japanese car plant in the USA (which there are many now) benefits from every purchase of that company's cars, in the long run. Profitable companies give back to their employees in many ways.

Also, buying an obviously superior Japanese model (just look at the reliability ratings) helps other Americans - YOURSELF - by allowing you to spend less on the upkeep of your car - again helping you, if you are an American.

It helps all the salesmen and employees at the car dealership - many of them Americans.

It helps the finance company employees who make money on the interest you pay in your loan - many of them Americans.

It helps the car insurance employees when you pay your insurance - many of them also Americans.

So buy a Ford Escape Hybrid if you NEED THAT VEHICLE - not because you would be "helping Americans" more than buying Japanese, because that's an outdated myth.......
    Frankly I get tired of this argument. To be competitive on a global scale Ford has to produce a good product, period. To buy any vehicle you think is inferior out of pity won't help them in the long run.

You vote with your purchasing dollars, if the vehicle doesn't win often enough they know they need to improve it to keep it competitive.

Competition improves the breed. Buy what is best, and the rest will have to get better, else they won't survive.

-juice
  • usbseawolf2000usbseawolf2000 Member Posts: 759
    "One of my biggest problems is people driving foreign cars and putting an American flag on them."

I drive a japanese car and I am one of those that put a flag on my car right after 9-11. I do that because I believe in what America stands for, which gave me ability to express myself freely. It is a message saying I am proud to be an American.

I don't know about anyone else, but I will buy and "inferior" product to support my neighbors and countrymen."

There are three types of situation:

Win-win
    Win-loose
    Loose-loose

Your choice is win-loose situation. You loose by choosing inferior product in hope of supporting neighbors to win. If you buy the car that you think is superior, then it is a win-win situation because both you and the manufacturer win. You always want to avoid loose-loose situation at all cost. Actually there is a fourth type. It is "win-win or no deal".

Dennis
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's be careful not to resurrect the Import v Domestic argument in this discussion - the News & Views board has many such ungoing topics, and that's the place to have that conversation.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Ford will be boosting production of the Hybrid Escape to 17,000 Units...
    Boosting what production? I haven't seen the first one yet. ;-)

-juice
    First one was delivered over a week ago.

Here's the story on it...

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=19133&ma- ke_id=92