Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Super Duty

Comments

• Options
    1jw1jw Member Posts: 4
    crcrain,
    Thanks for the information. I'll probably get the 4.30 because of the occasional cross country trips with a large load.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    rkquinnrkquinn Member Posts: 11
    Longhair and crcrain:

I've been on the road, so I missed your 2/25 messages until today. Thanks!

I've been researching overload systems. I plan to install an overleaf spring kit that will increase the cargo-carrying capacity of the F-350 by 2500 or 3000 pounds, depending on which kit I buy. The cost will be $335, installed. The nice thing about these kits is that they don't engage until the truck is loaded. For example, check out www.benzspg.com. Also, I'll install RS9000 shocks. I don't plan to add an airbag, unless needed.

The F-450 is not an option because it's a dually. I'd have four inches clearance on either side of a dually into my garage. That's asking for trouble.

I was thinking about getting an F-350 SRW 4x4 with the PSD. However, after checking with some Ford mechanics at www.allexperts.com, now I'm not so sure. I heard several very strong negative comments about "bugs" and "problems" with the engine, including what were called "horror stories."

Chevy's coming out with a Silverado one-ton with an Izusu diesel in October. I may wait to see that truck.

Also, I've been told that Ford will soon offer a 5.4L 300HP very-fuel-efficient gas engine for its trucks. I'd like to see the torque figures for that.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    fred9fred9 Member Posts: 32
    New York (CNNfn) - Workers at Ford Motor Co.'s
    Kansas City plant say they will walk off the job if
    their workload demands aren't met.
    The 5,000-member union voted by 98.5 percent to
    authorize a strike, Jerry Kline, president of UAW
    Local 249, said. Kline, who said employees are
    pushed beyond capacity, declined to specify whether
    the union wants new hires. But he insisted
    excessive workloads are compromising quality and
    safety. "When a job's overloaded we can't deliver a
    quality product," he said. "We've got a work-
    standards problem." A Ford spokeswoman told Reuters
    that discussions are continuing and strike talk is
    premature.Kline, who also said talks are ongoing,
    said he wants to sidestep a walkout. "We want to
    avoid a strike," he said. "We're in the business of
    building quality cars and trucks." Ford uses
    the plant, called Claycomo, to build the F-series
    trucks and the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.
    Kline painted a picture of a generally productive
    union-management relationship. If the Kansas City
    local went ahead with a strike, it would pale in
    magnitude to last summer's work-stoppage at General
    Motors' Flint, Michigan plant.There, 200,000
    employees walked off the job, virtually halting the
    automaker's North American assembly operations.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If you want to see the new Excursion, check the following:

Auto.com - Daily news and reviews

Frankly, I disappointed. Yes, it is is an improvement over the Suburban - but not as much of an improvement as I had hoped for. Why? Because of missed opportunities.

Missed opportunity #1.

I had hoped for the (still) rumored 6-door version. You would have thought that Ford (the king of extra-door pickups) would have taken the lead here, as it did with pickups, and add two small "Super Cab-type doors" to aid access to the third seat.

Missed opportunity #2.

Speaking of he third seat: Didn't Ford learn anything from the Dodge Durango and Honda Odyssey? A third seat that folds into the floor for storage is the way to go. One that has to be, unsnapped or unbolted, and then carted out and stored in the garage, when not wanted, is dinosaur-thinking at its worst! I just hope they get it right when (and if) the 6-door version finally arrives. They don't even offer a split-fold feature on this third seat. The Land Cruiser and Montero at least offer a third seat that splits and fold up out of the way when not needed. That would have been a better solution than what Ford is proposing. Been there. Done that. Nothing new (or improved) here folks!

I have no doubt that, if Dodge decides to enter this market segment, they will address those issues, and get it right the first time out!

Bob
  • Options
    stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    The 300 HP ford engine is already in the expedition -- its basically a 5.4 with 4-valve heads. I understand that low-end torque is quite limited, but I could be mistaken.

As for the PSD -- this is a very high volume production engine. I've heard some of the same rumors, but have never actually met anyone who's had a problem beyond injector wear after 100K. And I know a lot of Powerstroke owners.

For DRW / SRW -- 4" on each side is not too small a gap, IMO -- I fit my DRW F350 into tight spaces all the time -- it just takes practice.

Be sure that you check the capacity of your tires as well. Mine are rated to just over 3000# each when used in a SRW configuration (load range E). That gives a maximum weight of 6000# (incl. truck, camper, etc) on the rear axle before you're running your tires out of spec. Since these trucks are heavy (mine is over 7500#) you have to take that into account.
  • Options
    The 300 HP DOHC 4-valve 5.4 is in the Navigator, not the Expedition.

Bob
  • Options
    Stanford & rsholland:

Thanks. Do you know where I can find the specs for the 5.4L 300HP DOHC engine?

Crcrain:

With your Caribou 10F loaded on your F-350, what MPG are you getting from the V10? Is the '99 F-350 cab height a problem? Do you have to put your Caribou on a platform to accommodate the cabover? Thanks.
  • Options
    I would check anything pertaining to the '99 Lincoln Navigator. This engine only became available around the first of the year, so early '99 Navigators do NOT have this engine.

The '2000 Ford Excursion (and presumably other F-Super Duties) will have a 300 HP V-10.

Bob
  • Options
    tom50tom50 Member Posts: 14
    texaszach,
    I have the Goodyear Wrangler 305's with 16x8 alum. rims. Plenty of clearance and an improved ride. Tire chains are available and there seems to be ample clearance for them. I have the F250 sd sc lwb 4x4 with the 4.30. Incidentally, FYI the new ratio with these 305's is 4.15 due to the increased circumference.
  • Options
    crcraincrcrain Member Posts: 10
    rkquinn:

Haven't driven it enough to get a fair MPG yet.

I did have to have a platform. 2x4's and 3/4 inch plywood over a Panda bed mat. Without that, my cab lights would have been history!

The new Lance's do not require a platform. They are the only ones as far as I know.
  • Options
    texaszachtexaszach Member Posts: 119
    tom50 - duly noted, thanks for the response.

rsholland - Before working on a full size SUV, Dodge should address the lack of a crew cab in the full size Ram along with FINALLY making available the 6 speed manual transmission they keep taunting the dealers with. On top of that an automatic transmission that will hold up to the Cummins diesel would be nice.
  • Options
    Crcrain:

Thanks. Please let me know your engine's MPG, when tested.
  • Options
    I agree.

My point is that Ford had a tremendous opportunity to take a huge lead over the Suburban in terms of design ingenuity. And... they didn't do it.

Yes, it is a bit bigger and a bit better than the current Suburban. But remember, the current Suburban is on a 10-year old platform. The new Excursion is NOT "10 years better" than the existing Suburban. It will be interesting to see what GM comes up with this fall with their new redesigned Suburban.

Bob
  • Options
    Er, folks -- like the Suburban, this is a short wheelbase vehicle. The rear wheel is about an inch behind the rear door. Without sacrificing drivability, where the heck are they going to put the suicide door? They'd have to stretch the wheelbase another foot.
  • Options
    cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    I just don't see the market needing something like the Excursion. When the Chevy Tahoe's came out, Suburban sales fell quite a bit, because a lot of folks wanted the SUV, but disliked the length and hard-to-park-ness of the suburban. When the Expedition came out, same trend, suburban sales dropped more. I think the figures for '97 were about 300K Expeditions, 200K Tahoes, and 100K Suburbans. Are they going to find 100,000 people with $45K in their pockets and a huge garage.

I agree with above comments on the lack of ingenuity in the Excursion design.
  • Options
    Yes, they would have to stretch the wheelbase to add 2 short doors.

Since I haven't seen the wheelbase specs, I'm going to assume they did the same thing as GM... that is use the same wheelbase as the long-bed pickup for the Suburban. Assuming that may be the case, if they used the short bed SuperCab wheelbase (which is longer), it could easily be done.

Bob
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    One thing I could detect just on an eyeballing of the Excursion picture - the rear doors of the Exc are larger than that of the SD crew cab. The Suburban, uses the same doors as the GM crew cab pickup. This *should* give Ford an advantage in third seat access. Conversely, the Exc is nearly 7 feet tall (estimate is 83 inches), so it won't fit anywhere with a low roof (parking garages, home garages, low drive-thrus). And if that price estimate is correct - $50,000 for a Ford? You can get a semi-tractor for that price. The Navigator doesn't cost that much.
  • Options
    moe7moe7 Member Posts: 24
    The BEAST has arrived!! Finally!

Four and a half months later.........YES!

1999 Ford F250 SD V10,4x4,3.73,sc,swr,swb,5sp,off road,trailer tow mirrors,roof clearance lights,in
    bright red on all black trim!

Thanks for all the info!
  • Options
    kirkpamakirkpama Member Posts: 64
    If you were participating in this topic last summer, you may remember that my new SD V-10 was burning 1 qt. of oil for every 300 miles. The dealer did a 3000 mile oil consumption study and it used 8 qts. in 3000 miles. They did a compression test and ordered a new V-10 for my truck. I just picked it up and have only put 35 miles on the new engine. Given the problem, I would rather have a new engine than one that was torn apart and fixed. I hope this engine is easier on the oil. Other than that, I haven't had any problems with this truck. I have had it since May. I have used the 4x4 quite a bit and it has performed flawlessly(I have the ESOF).
  • Options
    arrowhdarrowhd Member Posts: 8
    I am writing concerning the Edmund's topic #463- Post #484- Dated 2/21/99. I have a F350 SD 4X4 ordered and will be delivered around Mar. 31. What I am wondering is if it will be 2" shorter in height than the trucks already built? I use my truck off road everyday and I'm concerned about ground clearance. I have waited a week for another post about this problem, but it seems that no one else has made any comments on this subject. I have also asked my dealer and some salesmen about this they say don't worry about it. Anyway if you could comment on the 2" vs. 4" blocks it would be appreciated.
  • Options
    tnt2tnt2 Member Posts: 115
    arrowhd.... I doubt that 2" would make much difference in the offroading, given that your ground clearance is mostly limited by axle height and tire movement. Yes, there may be the time that you straddle a log or rock, or cross a stream, but remember that the 2" only affects the back end not the front, which is still lower. I'm sure that if you do serious offroad someone has a lift kit for the SD's, or maybe you could get a set of blocks that were taken off of another truck.

FYI.....The PSD circulates it's 16 quarts of oil every 8 seconds shen under load and secondary oil pressures exceed 2000 psi.
  • Options
    jkdavisjkdavis Member Posts: 2
    have been reading posts for some time, just bit the big one tonite and ordered f350 lariatcrew 4x4 PSD
    priorty 10 dealer says it should schedule within 6 weeks and ship within 12 will let you know
  • Options
    involuteinvolute Member Posts: 17
    Have any of you heard of, or had any problems putting older campers in the 1999 SD ? I realize that a 2" spacer is needed on the bed to make sure the cabover clears but I'm hearing talk of the bed being narrower than older models. I called a guy about a 1983 Wilderness Pop-Up Camper and he told me he was selling it because it won't fit in his truck. Unfortunatly he has the same truck I do. According to him it's not a height issue, it's a width problem. He said something about a taper somewhere. I really want a used camper but don't want to waste my time looking if they won't fit.
  • Options
    KEH4x4KEH4x4 Member Posts: 109
    Congrats on the new ride! Was it worth the wait?
  • Options
    lemanslemans Member Posts: 43
    Well, guys I am taking my truck back to dealer for the second time for poor fuel mileage. I see where
    mroffshore and some others are getting around 19+ mpg. the dealer has told me that he can not find anything wrong. Well at 13.2 to 14 mpg on the highway is not accerptable for the high maintanence cost and up keep for PSD. My plans is trade this piece of junk for either a Dodge or a Chev and take the loss and call it a lesson learnd on buying a FORD. One of the guys here in the office has a Chev with a 454 in a Surburn and says he gets around 15 to 16 on the highway with out pulling anything. so I guess a truck would do about the same. Howver, I am glade that most of you are satisfied with your truck. All I can say at the present, unless something happens to change my mind, which I don't think will, I had a F250 super duty for a while and it was not what they are made up to be with the PSD. My buddies who have the Dodge are having a lot of fun at my expeirence. Maybe Dodge will give me a good trade in. guys enjoy you PSD. I am really glade that you are getting the performance, I guess I just got a piece of junk.
  • Options
    ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    Congratulations, moe7!! Breathe deeply of the new truck smell and enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    From what I remember of my '93, the beds in the SDs are slightly wider at the front than the old ones were. I know the cab is wider (not by much, but enough). Could this be the taper he was talking about? The tailgates are the same in both the LD and SD lines, but the LD bed is slightly narrower near the cab than the SD bed is. Was his new truck an LD?
  • Options
    mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    kirpama,

I was wondering what ever happened to your situation. I hope things will be better for you this time. Keep us posted!

Lamans,

I'm sorry your having problems. I really do believe you can get "under achieving" engines or engines that do not have the same potential as another of the same. Who knows what the problem is. I know winter fuel will rob you of fuel milage but I'm still getting 16.5+ around town and 20+ on the highway. I am going to also install a new chip that should allow me to get another 2-3 mpg. I wish you the best and I understand your anger, just do not hold a grudge.

Mroffshore
  • Options
    tnt2,

Thanks for the info on the chips. I just want to clarify one thing. Is the hydrosystem and the PSD chips two separate chips or one in the same? Also, easy instillation or difficult and where do they install?
  • Options
    longhairlonghair Member Posts: 72
    My dealer called today to say my order became "dirty" because of the 961 idle control no longer being available. I find this hard to believe because you need it to run the PTO and there are thousands of ambulances that want it. I asked him to call his regional office, but has anyone heard anything like this?
  • Options
    mroffshore.... The hydrosystem consists of 3 springs and an acumulator valve, these go in the transmission valve body. This is a much better system than total electronic controlers. It took a leisurely hour to install. Most of the time was waiting for the fluid to drain. Very simple installation with easy to follow instructions.

The "chip" installs in the diagnostic port on the pcm. To remove the pcm, located beside e-brake, loosen 10mm bolt that holds the wiring harness plug to the pcm, this is done from the engine compartment. Next (inside truck) remove 1 10mm nut and 1 10mm bolt that holds the metal pcm bracket to fire wall and side panel, the pcm and bracket can now be removed. Clean the diagnostic port, install chip, reinstall pcm, and hang on.
  • Options
    All i can say is "AWESOME" I picked it up this evening and i absolutly love it!! So far i am very happy with this rig and i cant wait until i take it up to northern New Hampshire for my anual fishing trip.Thanks for all your support!!
  • Options
    Go give your dealer a smack and tell him to add
    the proper code 96P which will also cost $300.00 instead of $200.00 for the 961.

Fred.
  • Options
    Thanks Fred,
    I mentioned the 96P to him and he's saying that I also have to add the PTO (automatic trans), bringing it up to a $500 option instead of the $200 for the 961.
    I was choosing the idle control for belt driven accy at the front of the engine (keep rpm up for alternator when parked) (In the future it may turn to an alternator/welder - but there are so many warnings in Ford's manuals about welding near the truck that I'm waiting to find more. And hoping to build an air compressor that will bolt in where the second alternator would sit)
    Now I'm debating whether the $500 is worth it vs. an aftermarket idle control.

Any idea why the 961 went away?
  • Options
    tnt,

Thanks again for the info. I had read an earlier post (#519) about a chip made by another co. Is one better then the other or should I stick with your recommedation? Also the other post mentioned that the US Gear chip would also rework the tranny. Would you still recommend what you did in terms of the hydrosystem and the chip?

Thanks again!

Mroffshore
  • Options
    I'm not sure what model you ordered but I ordered
    the Lariat and when the dealer added the PTO to the truck it didn't cost anything it just said N/C
    on the invoice. This was a big surprise to us both as Fords dealer information said the PTO was
    not available with the Lariat. At the time I couldn't add the Aux. idle control but you might
    be able to with the 96P, regardless I am told that the wiring is there for the Aux. idle control
    so I'm just going to buy one and have the dealer install it.

If I am told the 96P has more functions than the original 961 but I haven’t seen one so I don't know for sure.
  • Options
    did you get the manual trans? That may be the difference?

I looked further at aftermarket idle controls and decided that the $500 for the factory idle + PTO was a better deal than the $500-700 I would spend aftermarket, so I'm going to go with it. [$500 over 15 years (my typical truck life-although I'm trying to build this one to last 20) = .65 / week]

What is the difference in the 961 vs 96P? Does it still come loose for you to mount in the cab where you choose?
  • Options
    fred9 (or others), do you have plans for your PTO?
    since I'll be getting one by default, I've been thinking about a PTO driven aircompressor underneath. I do know that the spline pattern on the PTO is different than that on our farm tractors. Who makes PTO parts that can hook up?
  • Options
    ande157ande157 Member Posts: 23
    got my new autoweek today, little article on the excursion in it. mentions the v10 rated at 300hp/430lb ft of torque. would guess that the 2000 sd will benefit from the boost in power too.
    the excursion looks like a pretty nice rig, if you can get past it's sheer size and cost, $40-50K. but it looks like you'll get a lot for your money, as far as suvs go.
  • Options
    my375284my375284 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Gang .... any of you apply rhinoliners to your SD bed? Need your opinion as it is the only spray on bedliner available in Montana.
  • Options
    brentg2brentg2 Member Posts: 1
    I have read all the posts from #1 to #577 they contain a great deal of information from all of you. I am trying to help a friend determine his needs in purchasing a F-450 or F-550 crew cab pickup I cannot find any info on pricing available as far as invoice or options on edmund's. This truck will be used as a hotshot rig pulling up to #23,000lbs in the southern US. Could anyone on the list point me to some figures for these vehicles. He has found three in stock at two different dealers that would serve his purpose well but without knowing some numbers he feels he is going to pay a premium for them. Another question I have these vehicles do not have beds at all, does the dealer subtract the price from a standard rig or is this just standard.He is going to have a custom bed built but doesn't want to pay for a bed twice..I have never bought a new vehicle so much of the dealer price verses factory is foreign to me.All help would be appreciated
  • Options
    blightblight Member Posts: 22
    I am replacing the worthless 4 pin trailer tow electrical plug with a 7 pin for my trailer that is to be here soon. My question is, what have others done for the plug? I tried to get a replacement bracket from the dealer, but he couldn't find one listed. The plastic near the center of the bumper doesn't lend itself to mounting there, and the ones that strap to the hitch cross bar would be hard to get to up behind the bumper.

Any suggestions, comments or part numbers would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    00610061 Member Posts: 6
    Hi there.
    Please folks, I need help. I am looking for 1999
    F 250 SD SC,4x4 diesel manual,LB,Lariat. Point is
    I need it by late June. Does any of you know of
    a dealer that might be able to deliver the truck
    by this day ? (pref' West/Northwest part of the
    US .
    TIA.
  • Options
    br1br1 Member Posts: 22
    Good morning, I am happy as can be. Just ordered an F250 SD, power stroke, XLT, crew, 4x4, SB. It seems some of you got awesome deals. I got $400 over and am pretty happy considering all of the "begging" I did. It turns out my local dealer (Stoner and Wade - Quarryville) beat the nearest competition.

He has ordered 2 diesels in the last 6 weeks and one is in, the other is being built. Sounds like good turn around considering what I heard in the previous comments. I'm not getting my hopes up because I usually get let down.

I drove the 5.4L and wasn't happy. V10 gets crappy mileage and I tow motorcycle trailers and wood so I went power stroke.

I'll update when more info received.

Thanks for all of the previous input.
  • Options
    LanceLance Member Posts: 18
    Just got a call from the dealer which I ordered my 250 SD CC L V10 4X4, etc (I ordered 12 weeks ago). He said the truck is being built! Without going back through the past 550 msgs, can anyone remind me how long I should expect to wait from this point?

The dealer said it would be less than 6 weeks, but could not guarantee anything less. What do you think, should I cancel all my business trips, break open the piggy banks, and put the family on high alert? Gee, the last time I felt like this was when my wife was in her 9th month...
  • Options
    blight

My bracket for my 7 pin plug is mounted to the crossbar of the hitch and is very easy to reach. The hitch bar is only a couple of inches behind the bumper. I don't see the problem your having.
  • Options
    blightblight Member Posts: 22
    tnt2

It didn't look to me like one of those would fit. It looked like it is up behind a bumper flange enough to be a problem with mounting. I also would prefer to have it at the back edge of the bumper rather than having to reach up behind and fumble with it there.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    alpmanalpman Member Posts: 12
    I'm waiting on my V-10 CC 4X4, going on 8 weeks now. Any recommendations on what octane fuel I will have to use?
  • Options
    The trucks book says use 87 octane but i will be using 89.They also do not recomend using "PREMIUM" gas.

My V10 runs very well on the 89

moe7
  • Options
    cowpokescowpokes Member Posts: 33
    Hello Lance

It was almost exactly a month from build to delivery for my SD. And they had it misplaced in KC before it made it back on the tracks to Denver.
    So it maybe sooner.

Cowpokes
This discussion has been closed.