Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• dutcheedutchee Member Posts: 4
    i am having the same problem none of my windows will go up.
  • jkruse1jkruse1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my '98. I slap the dash and it comes back on, hit a bump and it goes back off, then I slap the dash again. It's a temporary solution. Anyone have a more permanent one?
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    You have a loose connection somewhere... all you have to do is find it. Check all wiring and ground connections to the blower motor and fan switch. Slapping the dash and going over bumps simply makes/breaks the loose connection.
  • huff94huff94 Member Posts: 2
    I know you posted this almost a year ago, but my Silverado is doing the same thing. I've replaced the fuel pump/sending unit, and the filter. Still no luck. I was wondering if you ever figured it out. Thanks
  • boognishlovinboognishlovin Member Posts: 3
    I'm trying to remove the governor on my truck. I heard on the 1997 it's a separate module that can be unplugged under the hood, no problem, but I need to know where. I'm in Canada, so it might be a little different, but I don't think so.

thanx
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    2002 Silverado, X-Cab

I just spent several hours looking for a rattle behind the dashboard, top/middle. It's very annoying. It sounded like something tapping the underside of the cover, but I drove it with the cover off with no change. In fact, with the cover off it sounds like it's coming from inside or behind the HVAC ducting, yikes. Anyone ever had a solution to this problem, I mean short of cranking up the audio or trading the truck in.

Like A Rock!

-David
  • vrk0057vrk0057 Member Posts: 4
    My dad's 1989 Chevrolet Silverado, V6 with 350,000 miles (original engine and transmission, no rebuilds!) has started dying. It has been doing so about a year. We did a tune up with AC Delco parts, replaced the catalytic converter and distributor shaft. About 6 months after all this work, the dying started at speeds of 60 MPH or greater. Now it dies all the time. We let our Chevrolet dealer investigate. They kept it for two days during which they did a compression check, computer check, and fuel system testing, all tests came back fine. When it dies, it acts like someone just turned the key off, no hesitation or warning before it croaks, just the SES light will come on about a second before it quits. If you watch carefully and press the gas pedal, it will still die peacefully. We replaced the ignition coil recently, but that didn't help it still dies. This vehicle is obviously no longer a daily driver, but we would like to make it safe to drive again. Any thoughts out there are greatly appreciated!!!
  • matman98matman98 Member Posts: 3
    Have you thought about the key switch?? Just a thought....

Doug
  • hp73chevyhp73chevy Member Posts: 5
    I had a similar problem on an older silverado like that. Believe it or not it was the gas tank. Over the years it was breaking down inside and pieces were clogging the fuel filter and pump. when this happened the whole truck shut down but the electric stayed on as if I turned the key but did not start it. So if your truck is shutting down but the lights on the dash stay on youmay have this problem. If not then I would assume it's electrical. I replaced the gas tank, fuel pump, sending unit and fuel filter. I couldnt even believe fuel was getting to the throttle body by the looks of those parts after I removed them. After this the truck ran fine and still does.
  • dietertdietert Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 ad with a 6.6 diesel. My transfercase started making noise about 2 months ago.I checked my fluid and it was low,so i added fluid but could not find a leak.I then thought maybe the slip yolk seal was bad,having owned a jeep with one i know how the leak,this did not seem to stop the noise.I have 92000 miles on this truck and i went to change the fluid and found it had a burnt smell and it was like paste.Ill probrably have to replace the transcase but im not sure how tough a job it will be or whereto buy one reasonable,any suggs or has anyone had this prob?
  • hp73chevyhp73chevy Member Posts: 5
    Check your tranny fluid as well if your tcase is low. im assuming it's an automatic. your case could very well be leaking from the gasket that mates the case and tranny. They break down after a while and need to be replaced around the 100k mark. Or it may just be that the bolts have losened a bit and when the truck goes over bumps and such the drivetrain flex is opening up the gap due to the loose bolts causing it to leak while driving but not visible or obvious when the truck is parked and your under it. (this happened to mine once). Pasty ATF is an indication of water making its way into the case, so check your tranny to make sure its not similar. As far as replacing the tcase, Piece of Cake. You can find one for about 300-400 from a junk yard usually with a warranty. First, drain it. then, buy a gasket, pull the driveshafts off, and pop off the bolts mating the case to the tranny,allong with any electric harnesses. Use a floor jack to support the case while you unbolt it. then pull it off and lower the jack. A splined shaft will pull out of the tranny and ur' done. put on a new gasket with some sealer and insert the new case. To replace I usually just get under it and muscle it back in without a jack because mating the splines is hard with it on a jack. It should take about 30 minutes.
    We were orginally thinking along those lines, especially after changing the fuel filter. The old fuel that drained out of the old fuel filter was the color of Coca Cola. We changed the filter twice that month, both times the excess fuel was Coke colored. While waiting for it to die, we removed the air filter and watched the injectors spray fuel until two seconds after the engine died. So, we are fairly certain we have the right amount of fuel at the right time. The problem is weird b/c it dies just like someone turned the ignition off. I believe our next step is replacing the ignition module. Apprecate your thoughts!!
  • garrisrwgarrisrw Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same situation. They tightened up a few bolts and told me there was nothing they could do. They told me that the problem exists in only V6 models made in 2006. They gave me a notice sent to them by Chevy that addressed the problem. My advice to you is to take it to every local dealer and give them an opportunity to fix it! If they can not fix then they need to do something to make things right. The problem was not disclosed before the sale of the vehicle, therefore they are liable. P.S. Keep all of you paperwork and make sure they capture your complaints on that paperwork. Good luck!
  • tcr1tcr1 Member Posts: 2
    Update, the headlights in my truck have mysteriously started working again. Periodically they will go out, but I simply turn the switch back to the parking light area and back on again and the lowbeams seem to work. Highbeams work as normal. My guess is that it is a short or connection problem somewhere. Hope this helps, its not right, but bareable for now.
  • davech2odavech2o Member Posts: 2
    I have a 02 2500hd 4x4 4L80E with 59,000 miles and when shifted from drive to reverse I heard a whinning noise the reverse did not work any more, the forward gears work fine. I think it might have something to do with the sun gear? Hope someone can help.
  • CrotalusCrotalus Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm new to this forum and have a 93 Silverado with the 5.7 L engine (throttle body). It misses badly under a load (mainly going uphill). It misses a little at idle but the miss under load is making it almost undriveable. I had this problem about 12 months ago and did a complete tune-up which fixed it for several months. I had new plugs installed (they were already fouled) and replaced the MAP sensor a few weeks ago. This time the fix lasted less than a week. Oh yeah, have changed fuel filter to no avail as well. I need some help as to where I should go now... ERG system? ignition? timing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • hotrod14hotrod14 Member Posts: 3
    have an 2004 silverado 6.6ltr 4x4 automatic,having problems with the transmission, during normal operations the vehicle stays in 3rd gear, when vehicle is shifted into reverse it hesitates for 2 seconds and shifts with a hard jerk, have trouble shooted dtc p0500 and p0700 they checked out ok, also have codes p0845,p0840,p0776,p0748,p0747,p0743 and p0734. I have checked the bullitens and did not find anything. i also checked the wiring harness to the transmission. the vehicle is an import to germany and it is hard to find help with this.
    is the check engine light on? if so are you getting a dtc p0300 code if so it could be a valve problem
    did you check the oil pressuse switch, i think if the oil pressure drops the oil pressure switch will cut off the power to the fuel pump, or the oil pump is not producing enought pressure, its worth a try if everything else is ok
    (3prong type)
    Hi hotrod;

This past weekend we jumped a wire from the positive (to bypass the fuel relay and oil pressure switch)battery terminal to the fuel test slot on the ALDL connector under the dash. The fuel pump came on and stayed on, but the engine still died. Afterwards it is very very hard to restart. I think our next step is the pickup coil then ignition module. Someone mentioned a crank sensor as a culprit. We have a factory repair manual for this vehicle, but there is no crank sensor, or crank angle sensor, or cam sensor listed. Several experts have said it has one, but the auto parts places don't sell one, and i don't think it is a dealer-only part. Thanks for your help, and any other advice you have is surely welcome...
  • ltw12000ltw12000 Member Posts: 8
    We had to have our transmission rebuilt recently at 72,000 miles and now the truck keeps shifting out of overdrive and acting sluggish? Anybody have any ideas what's up?
  • dbrinkmandbrinkman Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 chevy silverado has a new fuel pump and a new Tac Module. The symptoms are while driving regardless of length of time or speed of driving and it happens whenever, the engine loses power and shuts down. There are no unique patterns as it may not happen for two or five tanks of fuel. The engine will still run at 1000 rpm and runs smooth but has no acceleration. You can put the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it's as if there is no communication from the pedal to the motor. When you put it in park, shut it off and wait about 2 minutes, it restarts and everything is back to normal. Has anyone had this problem. Please help
  • jschunkejschunke Member Posts: 13
    Can someone please explain how to remove the full
    size spare tire on an '07 Silverado. I insert the
    rod in the rear of the truck, turn, but the spare
    doesn't come down. Thanks.
  • dozerhand150dozerhand150 Member Posts: 2
    as i stated i have a 1991 K1500 and the brake warning light on the dash has started blinking a code of sorts---1 long blink and then 5 short blinks. is this a code? i have changed all the pads, rotors, shoes, and drums, blead the system several times. i am totally stumped. I cannot find anything that says there is a code in the braking systems computer. PLEASE HELP!!
    joe :confuse:
  • dozerhand150dozerhand150 Member Posts: 2
    are you turning the crank the correct way? on mine you can keep cranking it up and it just skips like it has a clutch so you cannot strip it out
    just a question. :confuse:
  • strentstrent Member Posts: 2
    My new 2007 Silverado was built and shipped with the toe-in, camber and caster out of alignment. I took it back immediatly and the dealer did a full front end alignment. Drives good now. Next I started noticing the truck looked like it was leaning or lower in the front end on the drivers side. So I took a tape measure and found it was over 1" lower on the drivers side than the passenger side. I am taking it back to the dealer this morning. Will post later today...
    Is the gas tank full? If so, it's on the passenger
    side and may be contributing to the lean. Also, they
    probably do the alignment at the factory with the tank
    empty. 26 gal x 9 lbs = 234 lbs.
  • strentstrent Member Posts: 2
    In the service dept. this morning I had less than a quarter tank of gas. We measured and it had a 7/8" difference, lower on the drivers side. They asked me to go fill it up with gas and leave it with them. They said they could fix it. They even loaned me a loaded out crew cab demo.
    While cruising around town in "D" my Silverado (2WD,
    3.23 ratio) will tack out as low as 1100-1200 RPM. That
    seems a bit low, bogging the engine. I'm on the fence about putting her in "3" around town (about 1500 RPM @ 40 MPH),
    or just keep it in "D" and leave it all up to the transmission? Any suggestions?
  • bulldog59bulldog59 Member Posts: 4
    I know I have a poor(at best)prime thing going on with my "98-"99 Z-71. Pump was new say 40K ago,runs good at idle and on the highway. But since this has been going on, today I found that if I rev it up(to like 5000rpm)in Park,then try accel, it's smooth.If I don't, it stumbles and backfires and just IS crabby.Does the same crabby thing in PARK tooo, but is gone faster.After that, smooth accel.
    Any suggestions on falling headliners?
    Other than buy new or quit smoking!
  • kc8twlkc8twl Member Posts: 1
    Did you every get his problem fixed? I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with the same issue. I would like to know what you found.

Thanks!

Chris
    Sorry, no I haven't got it yet. I'm about ready to give up and take it in, but thats atleast a couple pay stubs from now!
    I'll keep you posted.

Pete
  • thetickthetick Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a 2002 Silverado with a v6 39,000 miles. I would be interested in getting some feed back about this year and make, problems, pros, cons, etc.
  • donbaldonbal Member Posts: 2
    HI STOBAR, JUST WONDERING IF YOU FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THE SHIFT INDICATOR PROBLEM? I JUST HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO MY 2003 SILVERADO. I WOULD SURE APPRECIATE ANY INFO YOU'VE FOUND REGARDING THIS. THANK YOU
  • donbaldonbal Member Posts: 2
    2003 SILVERADO/DURAMAX. WHEN SHIFTING GEARS THE INDICATOR DOES NOT GO INTO SELECTED GEAR. THE DOOR LOCKS DO NOT OPEN WHEN PUT INTO PARK EITHER. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS
  • c_lo5c_lo5 Member Posts: 2
    not to long ago my check engine light came on and my 2000 silverado 5.3 started running rough. It seemed like it did not want to idle down properly and sounds almost like it wants to backfire. Had a diagnostic done and had to replace the mass air flow sensor and the wiring harness that shorted out. Ever since then the check engine light went off but it stills does not want to idle down when you let off the gas and it does not want to slow down as fast as before the problem but the tach is going down when you let off the gas. Please help everyone is telling me that I should not worry about it cause it is not throwing codes out but I know it is not working right and I just want my truck to run like it did.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Have a '06 Half/Ton crew cab and have an annoying smell that seems more noticeable with the heater on(windows closed) Hard to describe the smell, sort of like a coolant/or electrical wire burning smell? Or could it be that when they rustproofed the truck, they got it somewhere that when the heater/fan is operated, it draws it(the smell) into the cab? It sure isn't the "new truck" smell of my previous trucks!

I haven't taken it back to the dealer YET. Thought I'd post here and see if anyone else has experienced something similar. Never noticed this type of smell in my last 3 Silverados.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    DON........You checked all your fuses right?
    A LOT of 03-04 cluster failures reported in many
    GM truck threads............

Check your owners manual on how to set the auto
    locks on your truck...........
  • 85scottsdale85scottsdale Member Posts: 3
    Got an '85 Scottsdale that needs a body bushing replaced. Problem is, I'm not having any luck tracking one down. I didn't think it would be that hard to find one. The only other option I can think of would be to buy a small body lift kit and have them all replaced...thing is, this is a beater truck that just helps me move firewood, home depot runs, and craigslist purchases...not really looking to drop $300-$500 on having it lifted. Anyone have any ideas? My guy in the shop said he has a Dodge Durango that is scrap...he'd take one off of there and put it on mine if I wanted.
  • kurtschevkurtschev Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to butt in... I'm new to this.
    the thermometer on my 2001 Silverado says NC in the mirror readout. Any ideas....

Thanls!
  • kurtschevkurtschev Member Posts: 2
    the mirror readout says "NC"
    any body know the fix?
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I have a 2000 Sierra Z71 with 60,000 miles on it. Within the first year of ownership, I started hearing a noise from the rear of the truck that sounded like a loose traler hitch. I had to hit a pretty good bump to make the noise so it wasn't normally bothersome. Every time I took it in for service, A I mentioned this noise and they always said they couldn't get it to make any noise and everything looked ok. I recently moved to a different town and took the truck to a Chev dealer for service. They checked out the noise and said there was some special lubricant they could apply to the spring that might possibly help and the total fix would cost about $100. I had previously determined that the noise was just on the passenger side wheel area so a spring problem could be the cause of the noise. Springs aren't exactly complex and I don't understand why one spring was fine and the other makes this noise. I go fishing and hunting a lot more since moving to this new town and riding over some washboard gravel road really makes some noise. I guess nothing is being harmed but it sure sounds bad. Any thoughts as too the cause of this noise and the appropriate cure?
    I agree there is no "rocket science" in springs,BUT you haven't mentioned anything about TIRES, try rotating while they are off look for a busted leaf in the spring assy. That and maybe you have bad SHOCK, something could be bouncing around in there!
  • tdaretdare Member Posts: 1
    I am having similar problems. Have you found out anything on what the problem is/was...???? I am still having the problems... and getting worse.
  • tbar32tbar32 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 silverado Z71 that runs great but the 4wd recently quit working the front driveshaft spins but the front tires dont. It is a push button 4wd system and when I push the button it just blinks and stays in 2WD. I have no idea what is going on. any ideas or ways to fix this would be great
  • 04silveado04silveado Member Posts: 1
    sorry guys i don't mean to take over this post, but i have no idea how to create a new one.

I recently just bought an 04 silverado 4x4 extended cab w/ the vortec 4.8. When I bought the truck it had 66,500 miles on it. The dealer that I had bought it from took it to a garage and got it inspected for me, as well as an oil change. The sticker that was put in my windshield says that the next service should be @ 70,500. Well i am at somewhere around 69,200 right now.

This morning i got in my truck and everything looked fine, but when i got done work i got in my truck and started it and i noticed that the change engine oil came over the display. Now my engine light is on. Is this on because my truck is saying to change the engine oil or should i bring it to a garage and get the code checked? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Once again i apologize if i am taking over someones post.

p.s. Could someone explain to me how to create a new post?
  • matman98matman98 Member Posts: 3
    Check your owners manual. In it where it says when to check your oil it will tell you how to reset the change oil message. Your dealer should be able to reset this at no or little cost. It takes about 30 seconds to do.....Matman98
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    To post a new message, scroll to bottom of page and follow instructions. :)
  • pete46pete46 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

My 2002 Silverado 1500 had the alternator go on it last week. I changed it out and now my battery light is coming on intermitantly. The voltage measured with a multimeter coming off the alternator is a good 14.5 and its registering the same on the gauge in the cab. I changed out the belt while I had everything apart so I don't see the belt slipping. I flip on my AC to max and I see the power draw down on the gauge, never did that before. Any idea's???
This discussion has been closed.