Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• bimmerhunterbimmerhunter Member Posts: 7
    Harms guy told me the exact same thing... that old guy who looks like he knows what he's doing, right? He does it well I have to agree...

I dropped off mine end of July and I am still waiting for it... (8 weeks as of last friday). Dealer told me the car was gonna be in into oxnard on 9/21 and from that point it could take 2 to 3 weeks to get to the SF bay area!!! That makes it more like 10 to 11 weeks. He says he cant track it and the best he can do is to let me know when he gets it. To be honest, even though I enjoyed the europe experience immensely, now it is getting to be a bit frustrating. Sorry about throwing a damp squib but just need to let off some steam.
  • selmselm Member Posts: 122
    I can't imagine having to wait that long. I am going nuts and it hasn't even been 2 weeks. Let off all the steam you want, if I have to wait that long, my BMW center will wish they never sold me the car and I am a very easy going, non-confrontational person.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    A late July dropoff probably got caught in the model changeover shipping dead period. It probably set on a dock in Europe for over 2 weeks.
  • gkrochmalgkrochmal Member Posts: 12
    Just picked up a 530xi & a 330i. Wheel on 330i was scratched and tire damaged. BMW insurance (Gerling Insurance) has no deductible and has authorized the dealer to repair with no cost to me. I am a very happy camper and my wife is happier. It was her car that was damaged. ;)
    Heh, I bought two and to ED on 9/15. Sold one car and am sharing my old ladies car. It sucks. If this goes on for another 2 or 3 months, I am going to go ballistic! Can't imagine the dealer can control it, but?image
  • grawggrawg Member Posts: 2
    I'm sold on the idea of ED but haven't yet discovered the costs in addition to purchase costs. What's a ball park estimate for various taxes, tariffs, shipping, insurance, dock fees, etc.? The Volvo site gives a lot more detail, has interesting package which includes round trip air for two, three nights in Barcelona, two nights in Sweden, meals, etc. - too bad it's to get a Volvo rather than a BMW! Thanks for any info.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "What's a ball park estimate for various taxes, tariffs, shipping, insurance, dock fees, etc.?"

I'll do you one better, I'll give you the exact cost. $0.00 Yup, nothing, zip, nada, zilch. All of that stuff is already calculated in the ED price of all BMWs.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • grawggrawg Member Posts: 2
    WOW - Thanks. I mean, Danke sehr viel! Why would anyone buy a car any other way? They're apparently not selling the 325 Stationwagon in the US until January 1, 2006. This convinces me to go to Germany to get me an E90! Thanks.
    The only additional cost on Saabs and Volvos is insurance. BMW includes insurance for either 15 or 30 days. Longer is also additional with BMW.
  • tennisgirltennisgirl Member Posts: 4
    Hi, all: I ordered my 325xi three weeks ago and want to pick it up in January. Although the dealer said he has enough time to process my order, I still want to confirm the pickup date asap since I need to arrange a ski trip with other friends. For the people did the ED, I'd like to know once you made the order, how soon you got the pickup date confirmed? Thanks.
    If I remember right, the dealer confirmed the date when I ordered. German holidays in January may be the first and sixth. Drop dead certainty may not be possible till final financial arrangements are made 15-30 days before delivery. I'd recommend a Monday delivery date and fly in Saturday.
    I did not have a confirmed piece of paper in my hand with the BMW logo on it for quite some time, I want to say around 30 days left. That being said, my sales person said he has never had a problem getting the date that was asked for. He also said that it can be more difficult in the summer, so I would expect that you shouldn't have any problems with the January date. I would call BMW and hear it from the horses mouth, if you are really concerned.
  • calif65gmcalif65gm Member Posts: 75
    FYI, the ED Delivery center will be closed until Jan. 9 for Xmas.

You should get an ok on a date within about 72 hours after your SA requests the date with the ED Dept. If it's not ok, they'll usually get back to you very fast.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    No hidden costs with BMW. I just picked up my car on 9/9 it was great. Insurance is for 30 days - after that you pay. Its great insurance - no deductibles - just make sure you keep the registration and insurance papers in YOUR pocket and not the car.
  • bimmerhunterbimmerhunter Member Posts: 7
    OK it is 9 weeks now and no sign of my 325i. So people be warned... 6 to 8 weeks is only a *projection* not a commitment.

My car is supposed to have come into oxnard on the 21st, supposed to have been released to the trucking company on the 22nd and presumably it does a beavis and butthead do America trip before coming to the SF bay area... because it is STILL not here. Worse, neither the dealer nor BMWNA can track the truck... all they can do is to come up with these cute cable-guy answers like "2 to 3 weeks from getting to the port".

Even worse, you cant get BMW european delivery outside of 8:30am to 4:30pm eastern Monday to Friday.

Well, I guess I just have to wait.... but boy am I getting tired of this six month car saga or what.
    90 days prior to the requested delivery date, it was confirmed! :)
  • inemerinemer Member Posts: 44
    California ( and I think New York) has a tuff rules for cars emission. If I get ED for 330i - das this car will came to US with all this emissions stuff?
    Volvo pick up price tag for one round trip ticket and one night stay in the hotel. I did't see anyone mention this in BMW board.
    Do I have to pay port fee upon delivery to US?
    "If I get ED for 330i - das this car will came to US with all this emissions stuff?
    Volvo pick up price tag for one round trip ticket and one night stay in the hotel. I did't see anyone mention this in BMW board.
    Do I have to pay port fee upon delivery to US? "

See my post from a couple of weeks ago:

shipo, "BMW Owners: European Delivery" #1042, 27 Sep 2005 11:56 pm

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    How long it take to ship car to SoCal? What about CA smog check?
    I searching net and look what I found !!!
    Economy - 2 for 1!
    Business Class - 75% off!

The following offers are valid in conjunction with the BMW European Delivery program, when picking up a car in Germany.

Economy - 2 for 1! Promotion for travel April 1 through Dec. 31, 2005

Until December 31, 2005, when you fly Lufthansa round-trip in Economy Class from the U.S. to Europe the companion of your choice flies free!

for complete Terms & Conditions on our Economy Class offer, or to book this offer call Lufthansa at 888-552-4508 (Monday through Friday, 09:00 - 17:30 EST ).

http://www.lufthansa-usa.com/241BMW/welcome.html
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It's no great deal because the pre-discount prices are very high. You could find two discounted tickets cheaper elsewhere.
    Check the previous posts.

If you buy from a California dealer, you will get a car that meets California regulations. European Delivery has no extra vehicle costs other than extended insurance, if necessary. BMW covers the first month. Other manufacturers differ from BMW.
  • steelcitybmwsteelcitybmw Member Posts: 2
    I've got some questions that I'm sure you ED experts can answer. I've read through almost 53 pages of this very informative board, well, okay skimmed through many of the pages, but still have some confusions. :) I am planning on purchasing a 2006 750i and would like to do the ED program. I will be paying cash, so no credit or leasing concerns.

1. Determining ED invoice. There have been some references to web sites on this forum that give ED invoice costs (ie. eurobuyers); but it seems those are out of date and only give 2005 model information. So I am looking at using the 7% rule. Edmunds has US Invoice at $65, 520. 7% of that is $4,586. I am confused by that because bmwusa.com say's that I should save $5,025. So do I subtract $4586 (the 7%) or the $5025 from the US Invoice to determine ED Invoice?

1a. I planned on making my offer to the dealer as follows. ED Invoice + Options + $1500 = offer price. Does that sound right?

2. Does anyone know if Lufthansa is going to extend the 2 for 1 deal? Currently it expires end of 2005.. I would be looking at a Feb pick up date.

3. On a cash deal, do I have to provide payment in full to my dealer for the vehicle 30 days prior to pickup or 14 days prior to pick up? Also, if you are trading in a vehicle, is this the time you would conduct the trade-in?

4. Is there a deposit required to place the initial order?

I plan on going to the dealer I've been working with tomorrow to discuss but thought you guys could help me get educated.

Thanks!
    1. Not sure what the price is, but I think 7-series come out of dealer allocations, so there's no incentive for them to offer any type of discount beyond the ED invoice. In other words $1.5K over invoice probably not going to work.

2. Don't know about the Lufthansa deal, but a lot of times you can find cheaper fares on your own especially from the East Coast.

3. Yes typically a deposit is a sign of good faith.

I'd suggest that you visit bimmerfest.com. There's a whole forum on EDs and it's very informative and a lot of knowledgeable members.
    1. BMW is talking sticker, you are talking invoice. I would subtract BMWs stated savings from normal invoice + options + $1500. You can always go up. Remember there is no ED discount on options.

2. There always seems to be a Lufthansa deal.

3. BMW does not care if they get paid by a bank or you, but someone pays for the car before delivery. If you trade in your current car, arrange to rent it back till delivery or rent another vehicle till then either from the dealer or Enterprise, etc. You do not want to get in to revaluation in 2-3 months.

4. Yes, ours was $1000 in 2002 on a 530i.
  • steelcitybmwsteelcitybmw Member Posts: 2
    Good to know. I wasn't aware that 7 series comes from dealer allocations as an ED. What do you guys think would be reasonable for a dealer to accept over invoice?

I figured that BMW doesn't care who they get paid by - just wasn't sure if it was 30 days or 14 days prior to delivery. It seems that the 14 days only applies if it is a lease..correct?

Thanks for your help!
    Payment was required 30 days before delivery in 2002. I have heard it is 15 days or 2 weeks now, but I do not know if that is for everyone, leasers or if you use BMWFS.
    3. I think it is 14 days, finance, lease, or cash.
    4. I did not have a deposit. In fact I never had any outflow of cash until the 14 day mark. Whether you have to pay a deposit may be determined by your dealer. If you order a purple car with green leather (I know they don't offer that, but just go with it) then they may want a deposit as they will never be able to sell that if you back out and might request a deposit. Dealer told me this so take it with a grain of salt.
    Hi, all:

My flight to Munich will arrive @11:55am on Friday and the pick up center will close at 3:30pm. If I take the public transportation to get there, do you think I have enough time? What if my flight is delayed and I miss the time, do I have to wait till Monday to get my car?

Thanks.
    Arrive at 11:55, go to baggage claim and then clear customs. Catch the S-Bahn S1 or S8 to Marienplatz that is like a 45 minute ride if I remember correctly. Then you need to cath the U6 to Freimann (about 12 minutes). Then you have to walk a little bit. So if your plane is ontime and things are working for you, you could be there around 2:00 pm using rail. A cab will cut things down a bit, but more expensive. Unless the airlines really have a problem that day, you should be fine. You can't fly out any sooner?
  • jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    It would have to be delayed quite a bit out of US to be late getting into Munich. If the flight is delayed ~30 minutes or so leaving US, it should make up the time easily. Like the above poster said, once there, I think you will have enough time to make it to the delivery center. The traffic is pretty bad around Munich, so taxi probably won't get you there any faster.
  • khoonkhoon Member Posts: 85
    I picked up a 5 series in Sept from Munich and can shed some light on the ED process. However, I'm not too sure about pricing for the 7 series. For the 5 series I was referred to a great site that provided invoice pricing etc., I mentioned the site on a previous and got into trouble with the Edmunds police! :mad:

Personally, I don't believe any model comes out of dealer allocation for ED. Further, I bargained real hard and paid invoice + $250 (I know, I got very lucky ;) ). I would open negotiations at invoice and offer no more than $1K. I had to pay (cash deal) for the car about a month prior to pickup. Prior to this, I had put down a deposit of $1K.

ED is a great experience! I did not find the Lufthansa offer reasonable. They charge full price for the ticket and then give you a free ticket. Net, net, you can definitely do better on travel web sites or working with the airlines directly for an aggressive sale fare. Make sure you ask your salesman to book you for a factory tour, if you're so inclined. The tours are not automatic. The pickup and drop-off experiences are super smooth - BMW has it worked out real well.

I'd recommend a hotel near central Munich if you're planning to stay in Munich.

If you're located in the NY/NJ area, I can suggest the dealer I worked with.
    Since there is no holdback on BMWs I don't know of a dealer in So Cal that would do it for $250 over invoice. The dealer is going to pay more in wages for the personnel who have to do the extra paperwork and field phone calls from nervous buyers. I think $1000-$1500 over invoice is the norm. Just be aware that they may give a great price over invoice but mark up other things if you are leasing especially. (I know you paid cash so that doesn't apply).

I stayed in the Schwabing district and took the U6 for 8 minutes if I wanted to get downtown, and would recommend that as well.

It was the best car buying experience ever. In fact, I am already planning getting 2 at the same time in 2008.

-Selm
  • feistylegalfeistylegal Member Posts: 18
    I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and still have not gotten the concept of ED delivery. It seems like people are spending more time and money to travel to Munich to pick up the vehicle. Can someone please enlighten me on the benefits of purchasing via ED. How much money can you expect to save by purchasing this way? Do you still have to pay state sales tax, doc fees etc…? What is the process for negotiating with a dealer for European Delivery? I am looking to purchase a 330i and want to get the best deal possible. Thanks in advanced.
  • kiki2kiki2 Member Posts: 1
    Please advise on the dealer you've worked with. Thanks
    In my opinion, ED is good for several reasons:
    1. You get the 7% discount right off the top.
    2. You don't have to pay for a rental car while you are in Europe (cost savings there). And your own car is much nicer than a rental car.
    3. You get to drive the car on the roads it was designed for. Nothing like driving the autobahn or the alpine twisties.
    4. The 3 is not a part of the dealer allocation so in theory, a dealer should be a little more forgiving on price than they are when doing a normal delivery.

I have never had such a fun vacation and am already planning a ED trip for 2008 when it will be time to get my wife a new car! I am a person who always takes an annual vacations so, I consider those costs sunk as I was going to spend it anyway. Why not save the money on the car.

What I did not like:
    1. It took me 5 months start to finish. 3 months ahead of time and nearly 2 months after my vacation because I live on the west coast.
    2. You have more interaction with your dealer than you normally do. Not a big deal for me, but other members of my family place dealing with car dealers, right above dealing with the IRS.

You pay the same state tax as you would normally (actually less since your purchase price is less) and I also think that you do not have to pay the advertising fees (MACO). Negotiate like you would any other car. Know your invoice and sticker price, take into account the ED Discount, and make your best offer. I personally am not an invoice up person, but prefer to give an out the door price and see if I can't get them to agree to it.

If you want to experience Europe and make your BMW a piece of that equation, go for it. If you want your car as quickly as possible buy it here.
  • feistylegalfeistylegal Member Posts: 18
    Thank you very much for listing some advantages and disadvantages of buying via ED. The information that you have given will help me to make a more informed decision regarding whether ED is for me. Thanks again! :)
    NO. All paid by BMW :)
    How many web sites did you post the same message. I believe BeeWang answered your answer you leeter quite well. If if bothers you don't do it.

For the rest of the world, BMW ED IS AWESOME!
  • 0audilicious00audilicious0 Member Posts: 47
    I dropped my car off on Friday November 11th before noon and according to my owners circle account, the car is still awaiting transport. I know that they don't have shipments leaving every day, but does anyone know how long it usually takes to make it on the boat? I'm on the west coast and the wait is killing me!

Thanks.
    I found Owner's Circle to be notoriously late in their reporting of the actual status of my car. How late? Three weeks after my car started spending every night in my garage, Owners Circle still showed it on the water. The difference for you is that I am on the east coast and from drop off at Harms to pick up here in the U.S. less than four weeks elapsed. Unfortunately for you, everything that I've heard and read suggests that your wait will be more like two months. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    It probably already is on a boat. Owners Circle was terribly slow about updates 3 years ago. It still had our car "in transit" after the car was in our driveway, and our dealer was 250 miles away.

I believe Harms has a web site that has the name of the ship and expected port arrival.

Count on six weeks on the east coast, another week for the west coast and the Holidays may add a week.

Our Saab ED this summer took exactly 5 weeks and a day.
    I dropped mine off Sept 16 in Munich. It was on the boat on Sept 21 from Bremerhaven and arrived in Oxnard, Ca on Oct 14. It then took them until Oct 31 for me to get my car. Amazing how I can remember all of those dates, and can't even remember family members birthdays.
  • cpeterson3cpeterson3 Member Posts: 51
    Dropped off in Munich May 23rd and picked up at dealer in CT June 21st. Keep in mnd this was an east coast delivery into Port of NJ at Newark and delviery to a CT dealer.

Owners circle is cool but reletively useless and compeltely out of date.

ED is incredible - pull the trigger.
  • chatteachattea Member Posts: 3
    Could you please post the dealership name and the salesman ?

If you can email me it would be great.

Thanks for your help.
    My pick up date is Jan 13,2006, and I'm already very upset with BMW and not sure if I can make it. Here is the story:

I signed the contract and paid the deposit in mid-Oct. Later I received the first letter from delivery center and gave the dealer the necessary document. Yesterday I called the dealer to check the status and found the salesman left BMW already. So I was shocked and checked with the delivery center and they said they haven't received the PO yet. I called the dealer again and the sales manager assigned another saleman to deal my case. Who knows what could happen if I didn't call them yesterday!

I asked them to fax me a detail P.O and found the old salesman ordered the wrong car for me! He added the leather option which I don't want it at all! The new salesman said the car is already built in Germany and they can sell the leather option at the invoice price to me. He said it's too late to build a new car for me. The problem is I don't want the leather option at all and the dealer even refused to offer half price of the invoice price for the leather option. I feel like I have 3 TV at home and someone forces me to buy another TV at the invoice price.

Of course I refuse to take that car and thinking about cancelling the whole deal. Since I booked air ticket already and it's no-fundable, I'm wondering if I can sue the BMW dealer and ask them to reimburse my air ticket cancellation charge? Is there any consumer affair that I can look for help?

Thanks for reading my story. If you have any suggestion, please let me know.
    Ouch Tennisgirl, sorry to hear about your situation. :cry:
    You might try Small Claims Court.

I'd write a letter to the Dealer Principle and copy the General Manager of the dealership (not the Sales Manager)and try to get the leather at a major discount.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Sorry about your troubles.

Take this legal advice for what you paid for it. I wouldn't sue. I doubt the legal documents you've signed make them liable for damages like forgone plane tickets. You'd also need firm documentation that they mis-ordered, not your word against the salesperson's. All in all, I would expect it would be a tough case to win for a small reward. Move on.

Instead, if the leather car is acceptable to you, push for them to cover the entire option expense. I bet if you reason and work with them, they'll do it. First get them to acknowledge they screwed up and then tell them that while you will accept the leather, you have no preference for it, therefore to make you whole you should get it for free. If they're reasonable, I would think they would view this as $1K well spent. Be professional and courteous, but escalate as necessary. Don't go in guns blazing... they'll dig their heels in and you won't get anywhere.

If the leather is not acceptable, then back out of the deal. Eat the plane tickets, but push the dealer to re-order and discount the new car further to cover your loss on the tickets. And are you really going to have to eat the entire cost of the tickets? Wouldn't moving the flights up a few months cost you a $100 handling fee or something?

Good luck,

- Mark
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Didn't you agree on the price of the car before they ordered it? Are they now asking for more money?

If so, just say no... that you agreed to a price, and they have to stick to it.. Don't mention that you have non-refundable plane tickets... that just strengthens their bargaining position..

If you agreed to a price, that you just now found out includes leather... then you really haven't lost anything.. you are still paying what you agreed to.. assuming the above is not the case..

Lastly.. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.. If you've already shelled out $1000 for plane tickets and have planned your trip... no sense in throwing it all away to make a point...

I think you have until 15 days before ED delivery to purchase the car... I think as that date approaches, and you don't back down, the dealership will cave in.. (of course, I've been wrong.. many, many times).

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. Yesterday I made the full payment on the car and the purchase order will be delivered to the delivery center by today(tomorrow is the last day to submit the PO, otherwise, I will miss the pick up date).

First I asked them to build a new car for me but they said it's too late since holiday is approaching, the new car won't be ready by Jan 13, 2006. The dealer said they can't give me the leather for free since the final cost will be lower than the invoice price. So finally I paid around $900 for the leather option(invoice price $1340). I should have cut more but I really don't want to spend too much time on it. In total I paid $300 above the invoice price for this car(including all the options). Since I'm not against the leather option(although I didn't order it at the first place since I think there's not much difference), I think the result is still acceptable. What do you think?