Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW European Delivery

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    You're going for an AWD XI Wagon? C'mon...what gives? LOL!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Calm down -- :D .

Turns out it's for his wife.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yeah, like our buddie from Arizona said, it's for Mrs. Shipo. Last weekend she managed to back her current car off of a neighbor's driveway into some deep layered winter accumulaton of slush on top of icy snow on top of mud, and the car sank in up to its belly pan. In spite of the fact that the flatbed/winch vehicle that pulled her out needed to really strain to get it moving, she somehow believes that AWD would have saved her from that fate.

Given that I tried to play objective "car salesman", I only offered my opinion on the matter once and then let it go; after all, she's paying for it. ;) Of course the bit I'll be paying for regardless of which drive orientation she gets, will be a set of winter skins and some new wheels. :shades:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,429
    for 7 years and over 135,000 miles my Mom drove a 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E with RWD (no traction or stability control) and snow tires (during the winter). During the '90's we had some pretty nasty winters here in the suburbs of NYC (part of which fueled the SUV craze).

My parents sold the 300E and leased one of the first 1998 CLK 320s (RWD) for four years. The winters got milder towards the end of the '90's and my MOm got by driving the CLK with the regular all season shoes that it came with.

When the lease was up on her CLK, she got it stuck in her head that she HAD to have AWD in her next car. Mind you it snows maybe 5 times a year here now. In 2002 AUDI was the only AWD game in town as the E46 Xi had come out and were too small (for her) and too expensive to lease. She ended up with an '02 A6 3.0 which she HATED! One day it was snowing pretty bad and I asked her how the car drove in the snow. She told me she doesn't feel comfortable with the way the car drives and was afraid to drive in the bad weather :mad:

Then when the lease was up on her AUDI we walked into our local BMW dealership (this is 2004 now). After my Dad's great experience with his '04 X5, she wants a BMW, but it has to be AWD. Well, she drives an E46 330xi and doesn't like it. We walk past an E60 530i on display in the showroom and she falls for it. Drives it. HAs to have it. She loves it for 3 years.

The lease comes up on her beloved 530iA (RWD) and she has to have AWD. She drives the 528xi and doesn't like the way it drives. She said it felt really heavy and rode rough (due to the added weight of the AWD system and the Run Flat Tires I giess). She ends up driving a 328xi and liking it a lot. 3 months later, she tells me she misses her 530i :cry:

You can't win all the time shipo :P

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    She has exquisite taste! An Xi and married to Shipo!

Regards,
    OW
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Don't feel bad, you couldn't sell it to me either. ;)

The great thing is you will have really objective feedback when you get your RWD/FWD replacement as to the whole "AWD is a waste" issue. :D

Regards,
    OW
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    What can you say? Marketing is powerful!
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Liked Mom's auto saga :)

BTW, I had a '01 A6 2.7 turbo and it handled amazingly in bad weather. Test drove the 528xi and 535xi and felt they both drove real nice. Sorry to disagree with Mom :D
  • tx_bmwtx_bmw Member Posts: 6
    List, just had an interesting experience with a Dallas dealer, which may be reflected elsewhere in the country. For ED delivery, I am being quoted the full ED MSRP plus options, and they have stated that no discount will be considered from there. I was a little surprised by this, but is it the list's take that dealers are willing to negotiate down from MSRP on a domestically delivered vehicle, but not on ED cars? Still a savings of $3460 off of domestic MSRP, but not the greatest deal.
  • car_rmcar_rm Member Posts: 47
    tx bmw,

If they are quoting full ED MSRP, find another dealer. Bimmerfest.com has a wonderful wiki on the ED process. My recommendation is read that, make sure that you talk to the salesperson responsible for ED sales and come in with an offer at $xxxx over ED invoice and also state what you will pay for the lease acquisition cost and MF if leasing (there is a .0003 bump up for ED delivery that is not negotiable but they may try and increase the MF by an additional .0004 max but that is negotiable.) You will see your savings increase significantly.

I am going in July to pick up a 535i.

Good luck.
    I've been following the BMW related discussions here on Edmunds since I started researching my 1999 328i back in the summer of 1998. Through that entire time one thing has remained true, the Dallas area dealers will not negotiate an ED deal below MSRP (and very little off of MSRP for domestically sourced cars). The common consensus is to either allow them to screw you, or patronize the BMW dealers in Austin or Shreveport; they seem to be much more willing to play nice.

Keep us posted. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    car_rm,

Thanks for your message. I definitely read the Bimmerfest wiki, and it got me to a full breakout of all numbers, including the ED invoice price, as well as where my final number should be. That was why I was so surprised at the brick wall. I came in with a $1500 over invoice (ED invoice was $52,005, ED MSRP $56, 565), and was told that $56,565 was the number. At least I know my research is right, as I hit it on the dollar. I have calls into other dealers, but wanted to see if anyone else was seeing this in relation to ED--but it sounds like you definitely did not. Encouraging, so hope my results improve.

FWIW, here are the other numbers provided. Any comparison that you could give to your 535i would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rate is 2.3, residual 60% - 15K, 62% - 12K. 36 mo.@ $917.86 15K, 36 mo.@ $887.27 12K. This based on 1st payment, refundable security deposit $950 or $900 and license fees $184.05 up front.
    Shipo,
    Definitely great to know, and yet sorry to hear. I will be reaching out to Austin and Houston dealers today to see if the results are any different. Thanks for your insight, appreciate it, and I'll keep the list apprised to results. I went through this in 2002 wit Orange County, CA dealers, and the results weren't great then, either.
    tx_bmw,

I am in the Bay Area, CA. The options I have ordered are premium package, sports package, nav, and iPod adapter. I went in with $1200 over ED invoice, $625 lease inception fee, buy rate on the MF. We settled on a .0002 increase on the MF but I will buy that down with MSDs. MSDs are given back to you at the end of the lease, .00007 reduction for each deposit. Please remember that the residual is based on the US MSRP (~57000 in my case). With sales tax, my calculations show a payment ~$700/month depending on final MF, 36 months, 15k/year.

I have read that many ED buyers will go to non-local dealers becuase they are able to get the deals that the local ones will not agree to. The only downside to that is you may or may not get a loaner from your servicing dealer and I am not sure if you can get the car delivered to your local dealer or if it needs to be picked up from the one you bought from although an airline ticket and nice drive back to get reaquainted with car is not such a bad thing.
    Thanks to everyone for your input. Just to lay it out completely (should have done this first)--here is the config that I am proposing:

2008 535i
    Space Gray Metallic Exterior
    Black Dakota Leather Interior
    4BY Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim
    205 6-Speed STEPTRONIC Automatic Transmission
    ZSP Sport Package
    ZPP Premium Package
    609 Navigation System
    ZCW Cold Weather Package
    677 Logic7 Sound System
    508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
    6FL iPod and USB Adapter

ED invoice is $52,005. ED MSRP is $56, 565.
    Payments for 15k miles are coming in at over $900/mo, 12k are $800+. Definitely more than I am seeing across this board.

I have just heard from my third dealer today (Dallas, Houston, and Austin) that no discount from ED MSRP will be considered--this was after coming in with a specific $1500 over invloice number, and making it known that the numbers were transparent. I'm at a bit of a loss now, as other than going out of state and driving back, it appears that ED is not quite the deal I though it was in my area.
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Just got the ED overview materials from BMW (via Fedex nonetheless) and they are saying that the provided insurance has a deductible that is 10% of the value of the car in the event it is stolen. Well on any well heeled 3 Series that is a $5K or so loss that would more than erase the cost savings of ED if that unfortunate event occurred.

Is everyone taking this risk or is there gap insurance?

Not sure if buying versus leasing affects the insurance coverage either.
    Hmmm, interesting. I seem to remember that there was a 10% deductible on my 530i, however, that was only for some countries. IIRC, Italy, Greece and points east were the deductible areas. I didn't see that as a show-stopper as we were staying in Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Luxemburg, and of course Germany. That said, I'm sure the plan has evolved a bit since 2002. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Thanks.

I'll post the exact wording from the package tonight...
    tx_bmw,

Your monthly number seem high. Are you using $60025 as the US MSRP to calculate your residual value?

Car_rm
    Agreed, it does seem high. The 60% residual for 15k/mo is what I was quoted from the first dealer. Just received another quote as follows, again working from full ED MSRP, unfortunately. Working to get exact residuals and money factors from them now.

On the vehicle as you specified it below, the European Delivery Price would be $56565 +TT&L. The US price would be $59225 +TT&L.

The 36 month lease would be $837/month at 12K miles/year, and $867/month at 15K miles/year. This is for the Euro Delivery, with TT&L,1st payment, and security deposit paid at signing. On Euro Delivery cars, BMW will pay the 2nd month's payment for you, since you won't have your car back from Europe by then.

The 36 month lease on the US delivery would be $880/month at 12K miles/year, and $910/month at 15K miles/year. This is also calculated with the same up front costs as above.

The 24 month lease will be $860 @ 12K, and $907 @ 15K on Euro Delivery, and $937 @ 12K, and $984 @ 15K for US delivery, also using the same up-front costs.
    There is a bit of hope yet.

Got another quote from a local dealer at $1,900 over ED invoice. The numbers back into the calcs ok, so I am pretty comfortable with it. I did trade emails with an out of state dealer, and his offer is attractive, but I think that the inclusion of shipping across states may place his offer in the very close ballpark of the other recent local offer. Current deal offer details:

Assumes no security deposits, which will definitely lower the payment, especially if multiples are involved. Would like additional input on MSDs if possible.

$60,025 MSRP
    $56,565 European Delivery MSRP

$58,000 Selling Price for US delivery
    $54,000 Selling Price for European Delivery

.00275 Money Factor for European Delivery

36-month Residual
    60% for 15K per year
    62% for 12K per year

European Delivery Lease

36mo. x $880
    15K per year
    tx_bmw,

You should be able to bring down the money factor with the following:

It appears that you are not a returning BMW lease customer. By paying for the first security deposit, that will reduce the MF by .00015. They have also used the full .0004 that they are allowed to increase the MF by. This part is negotiable and .0002 with many dealers is a reasonable compromise with the customer. Also don't forget that they can tell you the lease aquisition fee can be as much as $825 (base is $625). If you feel comfortable with the price, great. If not send them a counter offer.

The best part is as you have said - there is hope!
  • frudifrudi Member Posts: 1
    How do I find out the ED invoice price? My dealer is quoting from the European MSRP in giving me pricing. Then he has discounted $1,000.00 off that. It doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Thoughts??
  • kenkdi87kenkdi87 Member Posts: 2
    Shipo,
    Perhaps you can help me with the ED Invoice for 328i with Cold Weather Package, Leather seats and ipod? Thank you.
    Sure thing; a few questions first:

- Sedan or Coupe?
    - Metallic or monochrome paint?
    - BMW-CCA discount?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kenkdi87kenkdi87 Member Posts: 2
    Sedan
    Metallic
    BMW-CCA discount ... what is it? I don't believe so.

Is there a web address for the source of your ED invoice numbers?

Thanks again.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    It's all right here:

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224830

BMWCCA discount gets you a $500 rebate on a purchase if you've been a member of BMW Car Club for 1 year.
  • nchettiarnchettiar Member Posts: 4
    New to the site and the forum Need help with details on this and how to, in central florida.Intereste in a 3 series

nchettiar
    Thanks. I did see tthat site. Any suggestions on how to find a dealer who will discuss the ED price other than calling all the dealers in the area

nchettiar
    Emailing or calling is the best way. It won't take you long. Dealers are hurting so much right now that you'll find someone to deal.
    If you go ahead and do ED, some important things to know. The most important thing is work with a dealer that does ED's on a regular basis. There are one or more dealers that are in the SE that do a high volume, work on $XXXX over invoice, no mark ups on money factor or aquisition fees on leases and know the paperwork schedule very well. You should be able to find who but I believe one is in Atlanta. Doing a search on that site, you will find stories where the customer had to educate the CA they were dealing with. Either the CA did not know what they were doing or did not spend the time to get the correct informaiton.

I did ED in August, and with the information from that wiki did not have to negotiate any aspect of my deal. (I'm in California)

Good luck.
    Thanks. Going to try.
    Thanks. Will try the Atlanta area.
  • kelfkelf Member Posts: 83
    P 14 of Sept / Oct , 08 issue of Whispering associated with the BMW Club states that now your new car in Euro Delivery may be picked up in Frankfurt upon arriving at the Frankfurt Airport. Where did they get that information? Anyone done that?
    Per the BMW web site, you still pick the car up in Munich, however, they do have a drop-off location in Frankfurt.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • rick11rick11 Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking for any information I can find on ordering a 335i via ED in southern California. I'm not finding the right articles/links on this site right now. Can anyone point me to them?

Best would be info on (a) prices paid for ED of 335i recently
    (b) dealers to work with
    (c) how to work with dealers (by phone, email, fax, in-person?)

Thanks for any help or links
    1. ED wholesale plus about $1000 - http://bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=158446&d=1219950328
    2. Try Bimmerfest's ED forum - there's a really good guy out of LA named Phillipe

http://bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=6576

By email will work as he'll shift you to phone.
  • darryl_bmwdarryl_bmw Member Posts: 4
    Can someone please give me the latest residual values for the 2009 335i convertible? I am looking for 12k miles / 36 months and am looking to do ED in late June. I am currently leasing a 330i so will be eligbile for loyalty cash/rates. Can someone tell me if I am eligible for the loyalty cash on this car if order by March 31? How about the financing deals (pay for up to 2 months)? Anyone have the latest residuals and MF rates (for Chicago and for Florida, where I am based)? Should I look for about ED wholesale +1500 dealer profit?
    Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    $3k marketing support till 5/31/2009

If so, this means we could get -$2,000 ED price??
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    I think the answer is yes, but with caveats...

You have to contract the car prior to May 31st. This means you'll need a VIN number, which will only be available about 15 days before scheduled delivery...

Which probably means you need to order the car now.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• butmywife3butmywife3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Haven't been on for a couple of years. Back in '02, I did my first ED and have decided to do it again this June. I've just ordered a 328ix w/ premium, sport, heated seats, HD Radio, IPod, PDC, Window Shades and the upgraded sound system. My price before state taxes is $40, 540----some $5K below the MSRP. I got the 0.9% financing and hope to write of the state tax, if that ever made it into the stimulus package.

Questions: Do you have any recommendations for a Hotel near the airport (as we have a 7am departing flight0?
    Last time we went to Austria, Italy, and Switzerland so this time we thought we'd try doing a loop through NW France, Belgium, the Netherlands and then back down through Germany to Munich. We have two weeks.
    Any must see recommendations?

Hi Shipo! As I recall, we did our 2002 ED about 2 weeks apart.

ButmyWife
    Hey Dude! :)

Welcome back, I'm glad that at least one of us is still in a BMW (I've been reduced to driving a bargain basement Mazda3 these days). Hopefully by the time your ready for your third ED trip, I'll be on that track as well. :shades:

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Glad you got your logging in issues solved. Have fun on your trip! :)
    Enjoy. I loved ED. I look forward to doing it again one day.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    NW France, Belgium, the Netherlands

My suggestions:

The Netherlands
    Cities
    Amsterdam & Haarlem, The Hague, Delf, Utrecht
    Natural places/Scenic Views
    Delta works (Zeeland province, former estuaries of Rhine, Meuse and other rivers). Impressive.
    launched in 1958 and largely completed in 2002. The official goal of the Delta project was to reduce the risk of flooding in the province of Zeeland to once per 10,000 years. (For the rest of the country, the protection-level is once per 4,000 years.) This was achieved by raising 3,000 kilometers (1,864 miles) of outer sea-dykes and 10,000 kilometers (6,200 miles) of inner, canal, and river dikes to "delta" height, and by closing off the sea estuaries of the Zeeland province. New risk assessments occasionally show problems requiring additional Delta project [non-permissible content removed] reinforcements. The Delta project is one of the largest construction efforts in human history and is considered by the American Society of Civil Engineers as one of the seven wonders of the modern world.

Belgium
    Cities
    Brussels, Gant, Bruges

NW of France
    Cities
    Rouen
    Natural places/Scenic Views
    Normandy Oceanic shore,
    and the south side of the Brittany peninsula, if you want to extend that way your touring in France, but…
    you could instead spend time in NE of France, in your way to Munich:
    Strasbourg, Colmar and the small wine village/towns in Alsace. A delight.

Enjoy the tour!!

Regards,
    Jose
  • butmywife3butmywife3 Member Posts: 4
    Jose---thank so much for taking the time to post the information. Muy amable!

For my new ride I went with Tasman Green w/Saddle Brown interior. Has anyone seen the Tasman Green? I've only seen it when I built the car on the BMW site. Hope it is a good combo.

Does anyone know if the '09 iPod adaptor supports any iTunes software version? Mine is a couple of years old because it is the only version which my retrofitted iPod adaptor in my '02 325er supports. I'm wondering if I need to download the latest version before I head to Deutchland?

ButMyWife
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    Last fall, my dealer had a Tasman Green 3-series in the showroom... with the chestnut/black interior...

I really liked it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator