Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pace Edwards Roll Top Covers

clappjclappj Member Posts: 2
Need some advice on roll top cover, (retractable
hard tonneau covers for pickups), performance. I'm
considering the purchase of a pace edwards roll
top cover.

Anyone know how they work in winter weather?

JC
Tagged:

Comments

• dave40dave40 Member Posts: 582
    Check out there home page!
    They say snow dosen't hurt it. They have more info
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I have a Roll-N-Lock cover I have had it for 2 years. It works well. I have only had problem with it once where it was covered with water and froze. It would only open half way. After it thawed it was fine. Not permently damaged. It is made of aproximatly 2 inch wide slates and I assume ice formed in the joints or in the canister. It is water tight and I have no problems with the bed getting wet. The manufacturer claims one can stand on the cover without damaging it. I will buy another one or something similar for my next truck.The Pace Edwards differs in that it has a soft cover over the metal top. Also I found the The Pace Edwards site confusing on intermediary stops. The Roll-N-Lock can be latched at 1/4 open , 1/2, 3/4's and fully closed. I find this a useful feature. I also looked at a cover with the soft top when I bought the Roll-N-Lock that had a soft cover. It did not appeal to me as I thought it would be easily damaged. From the picture at the Pace Edwards site it looks just like my Roll-N-Lock ...... Rich
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    How do I get more info on these roll top covers? Until now I did not know they existed. I have a soft cover I can roll up, I did not get a "hard" cover because I need the bed open.
    I found the Pace Edward's site but could not get any info on the Roll-n-Lock.
    I put in an entry the other day that I have had a Roll-N-Lock cover for 2 years and when I get another truck I will get another one or something similar. But I have had a couple of problems. One, it did freeze up on me once. It had snow on it, put it in the garage where it melted and had water standing on it. I then moved it outside where it froze. A short drive would have let the water run off. Second, it does keep the bed dry when it rains, but if you have to get something out while it is raining, its hard to keep the water on the cover from splashing into the bed. Need to open the cover slowly. Even with these problems, the advantage of being able to reach stuff in the front over the side out weights the problems. Also I have a fifth wheel hitch and I can tow my trailer without having to remove the cover, it just rolls up. Rich
    Dave40 and Richinks:

I heard these covers tend to vibrate and be very noisy. Any truth to that?
    Thank you
    Stephen
    Mine does not make any noise while driving. Perhaps with poor installation it could. Rich
    I just got the brochure from Pace Edwards and Roll-N-Lock. There is a HUGE price difference between the two. Pace Edwards is $599.00 for my truck and Rool-N-Lock is $945.00. Any reason for the difference? Any one got any familiarity with the two systems? I think I would have to go with the cheaper system the difference is to big to ignore. Any help would be appreciated.
    I agree its a big difference. And if they are simalar in quaility and function I too would switch on my next purchase from Roll-N-Lock to Pace Edwards. But somehow I think if that were the case, Roll-N-lock would go out of buisness. I just hope I can find a Pace Edwards dealer to compare. Rich
    RichinKs:

Please keep me posted I am getting one in the spring. Since I don't have any dealers in my area, will have to make a decission and mail order it from the manufacturer.(stevek@bestweb.net)
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    Anybody have one or an opinion? I just ordered one for my Tacoma. The total came to $499 delivered to my house.

Here is a link to where I bought it from:
    http://www.salesco.com/truck/aerocover.htm

Thanks to clappj for the link to calconcepts in Post #10. I first found the Aerocover there, but their price was about $20 higher than Salesco.

I'll post the results with it after I have it a few weeks here in the snow, sleet and rain of Pittsburgh.

Terry
  • commerscommers Member Posts: 14
    Just a bit of information I have found out on the roll-n-lock vs pace edwards for the 99 silverado. The pace edwards cover locks against the bedrail instead of the tailgate. Therefore, you will need to find another way of locking your tailgate in order for the bed to be secure. The roll-n-lock locks to your tailgate making it secure when locked. Also, I am told a PopLock has yet to be made for the 99 silverado.
    Thats exactly what I understand from the literature I ordered. Pace Arrow shows a cheap little bolt lock to use. But I am waiting till I am closer to delivery of my Silverado to look at them (Probably April). Found that besides the Roll-N-Lock dealer I got my present cover on my 97 chevy, There is also a Pace Arrow dealer. Pace Arrow sure is cheaper, but if its inconveint or flimsy I'll pay extra. .... Rich
    Once the cover is locked, locking the tail gate is a no brainer. You can go get any door lock, mount one end on the tailgate other on the inside of the bed and just put a pin thru. If the only difference is the tailgate lock it does not worth the extra $400.00 or so.
    I'm still fact finding on the Pace Edwards vs Roll-N-Lock for my 99 silverado. The biggest concern I have is why is there a $400 difference between them? After talking by phone with a few dealers of each it's still not clear. I did talk to a dealer who had both. One word out of his mouth "quality". He claims the R-N-L is made with much stronger materials. I did get to see first hand the R-N-L in use in the snow and sleet of minnesota. A vendor at work has one on his silverado. It had about two inches of crusted snow and ice on it. With a little persuasion it rolled up nicely. He also jumped up and stood on it showing its strength. The vendor mentioned he compared both and just thought the R-N-L was of higher quality. This doesn't mean the Pace Edwards wouldn't do the job fine. I'm planning on getting out to see the Pace Edwards this week. I hope the quality is so poor it will justify the price difference so I can quit looking and buy one or the other.
    commers:

Please keep me posted, at this point I gave up on which one to get, got totaly confused. They are far between to have a good oppinion. I am keeping my soft cover for now.
    I was able to look at both the roll-n-lock and pace edwards this past week. The difference between them is the material it's made out of. The r-n-l is made much heavier duty. You can stand on the cover if you need to. The pace edwards is not as strong. If you jumped up on it you would bend it all to hell. Both are a bit awkward when opening and closing. I think the
    r-n-l works better because of less flex in the top. Both appear to allow some (amount unknown)water in around the tailgate? I think the pace edwards would certainly do the job if you knew someone wouldn't jump up on it. They look almost identical except the pace edwards has a vinyl type cover over their aluminum compared to the black aluminum of the r-n-l. I would compare the pace edwards to a tonneau cover that locks and the r-n-l to a fiberglass cover that rolls up. I haven't decided yet. It was nice that I got to see both on new silverados. The custom shop had five silverados in for various accessories. I did get to see nerf bars, bug shields, different bed liners, and a fiberglass cover. It gave me a few ideas.
  • kent123kent123 Member Posts: 61
    Commers-
    Considering the respective prices of each, which would you choose (if either) for normal, everyday duty?
    commers:

Thanks for the info, I am looking to replace my current soft cover for some security. Sounds like I can go with the cheaper one.
  • commers1commers1 Member Posts: 1
    Kent123-

I think I could live with the Pace Edwards and $400 dollars towards other items. This dealer has been around for years and is well respected. He apparently sells a lot of them. They were adding one to his brothers truck when I was in. I can't see doing that if they didn't work.
    commer1:

Where is your dealer: I am in upstate NY. Do you know of any dealer around this area? Thanks
    Commers:
    If you buy the Pace Edwards(which I may also) just put a 90 degree latch on your tailgate with the other end attached to the side. You can do this on both side or just one. Dont forget to put some rust inhibitor in the drilled holes before you install the bolts for the latches. You can buy a latch in any hardware store for less than 5 bucks.
  • ruxbinruxbin Member Posts: 3
    I put a pace edwards on my 99 GMC and am very satisfied with it. I have noticed some water in the bed at the tailgate, I think it is coming from underneath on rainy days. Probably just need to have a better seal between the tailgate and the bed at the bottom. When I bought mine the dealer had a customer truck in that they had installed about 5 Years previous, it still worked good the Vinyl was just a little faded compared to a new one.
    ruxbin-
    What did you end up having to pay for your cover and what area of the US do you live in? I am seriously looking at getting one for my 1999 Silverado to go with the molded carpet bedliner I just ordered from the Bass Pro Shops Truck Acc. catalog ($259).

Sure would've been nice if GM had made the gate lockable like Ford does. (one of my very few complaints about THE TRUCK)
  • DavyddDavydd Member Posts: 121
    Some covers lock the tailgate. If you don't have a cover or a cover that locks the tailgate, GM/Chevy does have a lockable replacement handle available through the dealers that looks the same except for a key cylinder.
  • jxyoungjxyoung Member Posts: 156
    I have seen the RNL at a big car accessory shop and I hope it was broken cause it took all I had to move the top? I have seen the Pace and it seemed to be a little less sturdy as the RNL but it scrolled easily! I have the Sportside Silverado and was wondering if that is cheaper than a Fleetside? What are the prices you are getting on the pace for the Silverado?
    After weeks of indecision, I broke down and ordered a Pace Edwards today from a local shop for my 99 Silverado. Expected install next week.

Also, I ordered a carpet bedliner (Steel Horse) from Bass Pro Shops for $259. I'd seen the same thing elsewhere for $299. The day it arrived, I got a Cabela's catalog in the mail that had the same liner for $199! I called Bass Pro this morning and told them about Cabela's better price They refunded me the difference with no argument whatsoever.

Installed the carpet bedliner this evening. It took a couple of hours, but I've got it in except for a few minor adjustments at the front corners to take out some wrinkles. Overall, I'm pleased and think it will make a great combo with the Pace Edwards. Also, ended up saving about $150 compared to the BedRug liner which appeared to be only moderately nicer in quality. Besides, nobody will see it with the cover closed.
    kent123:
    Keep me posted the pace is a lot cheaper and I plan to get it in the next couple of months. There is no dealer in my area and I will have to install it myself.
    How much was the Pace?
    $599 and $50 to install in the NE Texas area.

I was deciding between the Pace and a hard tonneau like the A.R.E. which was around $750 in this area. The fiberglass tonneaus are prettier, but I went for the functionality of the Pace. The price difference wasn't really a big factor.
    The Pace Edwards top was delivered to the shop at noon today and was on my Silverado by 4:30 PM.

I watched the install which took about 100 minutes and advise anyone who is doing it on your own to take your time and be careful since the process requires the drilling of about 6 holes on each bed rail. If at all possible, I'd have it installed by someone who has done it before.

The cover moves pretty easily. The shop said that it would improve a little with use and to put a little petroleum jelly on the rails monthly to keep it smooth.

It looks better than I expected and I am pleased that I went with this option over a hard tonneau since the Pace seems much more functional. Now I just have to decide on a lock for the tailgate (Chevy should take a hint from Ford in that area). Pace offers a Powerbolt lock which wires into the electric door locks - about $100 installed.
    Just put a regular 90 degree door bolt (can get it in any hardware store) on the inside of your tailgate (one or both sides). Put a pin thru it and your tailgate is locked.
    Kent123

Glad you like the pace edwards. I am planning on having mine installed in two weeks. Have you noticed what it does when driving? (vibrate, bounce up and down) I think I read here that chevrolet has a lock for it? I will call my dealer and check. The salesman wanted me to buy the power lock too. Does your top close tight to the tailgate? Did the dealer suggest you cover the post holes to keep water out? You should get better gas mileage. Good luck with it.
  • mwinter1mwinter1 Member Posts: 40
    I got a price of $599.00 and $100.00 for installation at my local pace edwards retailer. This is an independent shop that pace edwards told me about in their letter to me. However, they also state that they have a $599 suggested retail price. Don't most places price below that? 100.00 seems like a lot too, since in their letter they say it's relatively easy to install. The retailer said that they weren't sure if they would sell one cash and carry. As an engineer, I'm more than mechanically inclined to install one myself. What prices are you getting for the cover and installation?
    mwinter1

I have two quotes at $599.00 installed in minnesota.
  • mwinter1mwinter1 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks commers:

I think that I will call Pace Edwards and see if there is another dealer in my area that's cheaper.
    Kent123:

How do you like your pace after having it on for awhile? Do you have any bounce when it is at high speeds? What did you decide about locking the tailgate? I asked at my local dealer if chevy had a replacement handle with a lock. The dealer had not heard of one. The accessory company is really trying to push the automatic locking feature for a $100.

Thanks!
    After about 10 days, I'm still pretty pleased with the Pace cover. When going at highway speed, it kind of quivers, but doesn't really bounce since it's semi-rigid. Mine seems to roll well and locks easily, probably because it was professionally installed.

I too have been trying hard to see if there is a replacement tailgate handle that locks. My Chevy dealer hasn't found one yet. I'll likely opt for the $100 (installed) power lock before even seriously considering the Pop-N-Lock or drilling to install any other type of lock.

I highly recommend going with the carpet bedliner unless you're going to use the bed for dirty type hauling
  • jmscoloradojmscolorado Member Posts: 25
    Kent123, commers,

I was at the chevy dealer last friday getting my oil changes (they had a special) and picked up a copy of the new GM Silverado Accessary catalog (planning to buy a Silverado in near future). I noticed a really good looking locking tailgate latch near the last page. It seems to replace the current tailgate latch handle. The parts guy looked it up in the system and quoted me a price of around $49. It looks like what comes with the truck except for a key hole on the right side below the handle. I've already added it to my list of "must haves".
    I am getting my Pace Edwards roll top installed on Thursday, hope it will not rattle. Anyone had it installed on a late model Chevy (not the Silverado), how do you cover the rail bed. The roll top goes over it partially, what happens with the rest?
    jmscolorado,

I stopped off at two chevy dealers and both came up with nothing with regards to a locking tailgate latch. Could you by chance get a part number from your dealer? What catalog are you looking in? Is there a separate accessory catalog? I did get a part number for a lock on a hard tonneau cover/tailgate etc. ???? The parts guy didn't know exactly what it was.
    (PN 12361309) I'm planning on mailing the chevrolet customer service to see what they say.

Thanks
  • huntmanhuntman Member Posts: 25
    A month ago I finally got my 99 GMC Ext Cab 4x4 SLT, 5.3L. I wanted to get the locking tailgate option out of the accessories catalog, but it has been discontinued due to the government. The gov. said that it is offered aftermarket so therefore GM can't sell it as an option, the same for the floor mounted cell phone holder, thats the government for you I guess. They thought is was a conflict of interest. Best of luck, I would go for a powerbolt if I finally get one.
    commers,

I left the catalog at home. Will try to look it up tonight. The catalog is a separate catalog full of accessories specifically for the new Silverado. I'll try to post the catalog number also.
    If that is the case they should not be able to sell nerf bars, mud flapps or any of the other items in the accessory catalog as they are all available aftermarket??
    Unfortunately, the P-E rolltop doesn't cover the stake pockets on the side rails. This allows water into the bed when it rains or when washing your truck. Not a good thing.

Anyone have any suggestions for covers to seal off these holes that would work with the P-E cover?

Aloso, ANY info on the locking Silverado tailgate handle accessory would be very much appreciated.
    Ok, here is the info I have on the Silverado tailgate lock. The lock is shown in the "1999 GM Accessories for Silverado" catalog. The catalog number on the bottom right side of the back page is CA06069801. The catalog is 10 pages long and has quite a few interesting items.

The "Locking Tailgate Handle" is pictured on the last page and the text next to the picture says "Rest easier! This locking tailgate handle will give you peace of mind as it adds an extra element of security to your truck bed. Molded and designed for a sleek, integrated look. For a complete list of part numbers, please see your Chevrolet Truck Dealer." Unfortunately, no part numbers are listed. The person at the parts counter at my local dealer (Al Serra Chevrolet in Colorado Springs) did not seem to have too much difficulty looking it up in his system though and quoting me a price. Unfortunately, I did not take time to get the part number from him since he didn't seem to have any problem looking it up. If everyone continues to have trouble finding this, I'll try to stop by the dealer sometime in the next week and get the exact part number.

In any case, I really recommend you get a look at this catalog. It has everything from mud flaps to bedliners to brush guards to hitch packages to a 12-disc CD player. All made especially for the Silverado. Good hunting.
    Thanks, jmscolorado

I e-mailed chevrolet. They informed me that I needed to get that information (locking tailgate part number)from their highly informative parts departments at my local dealers. I mailed back stating that three highly informative parts departments didn't know jack about it. I did ask if they could send me the accessory brochure you informed me of. If you get the time I'm sure would appreciate the part number of the lock you are talking about.

kent123,

Any luck on the stake pocket covers? We have all seen the covers that have hooks in them so you can tie things down. I don't care for them because they stick up about the bed rail, but you might be able to modify them to your liking? Where you getting a lot of water inside under the cover? I was informed that there wouldn't be too much coming in from the stake pockets.
    Enough water comes through the stake pockets to make my carpet bedliner damp at the 4 corners.

I had found some covers that don't have the hooks sticking up, but they were a smaller size than what is needed for the Silverado. The search continues.

Many thanks to jmscolorado for the locking gate info.
    Kent123,

The catalog I referenced earlier has tie-down hooks listed that pop up or lie flat and fit in the stake pockets. The part numbers are:

Stainless, fleetside, longbox....12496071
    Stainless, fleetside, shortbox...12496072
    Black, fleetside, longbox........12496073
    Black, fleetside, shortbox.......12496074

The picture shows them to be pretty flat but they do stick up the thickness of the flat metal, probably a 1/16 of an inch. Check them out; maybe they'll work.
This discussion has been closed.