Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

buffagmbuffagm Member Posts: 21
edited January 2014 in BMW
just put my 1k down on an '03 330i/5spd

5spd
blk/blk leatherette/xenon/sport pkg/moonroof

the price 36,400 /dest/mats got me stretching from the 325i I originally was negotiating for, with the same options that car came to 31k. As this is my first car I hope I made the right choice. Its scheduled to arrive mid Nov. Any later and it will be tough to handle.
If anyone knows any new additions to look forward to in the '03 please let me know.

Comments

• cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    Outside the obvious you will get the speedo in Kilometers and not mph. This would be expensive to convert to a new guage cluster. You have to pay taxes to get the car into the US. Some car makers will not allow you to buy in Canada if your permanent residence is in the US. THe options typically are different. I saw a sport equipped 330i on the internet and the foglights were the standard rectangular ones. There will be differneces b/w a US and Canadian equipped car. When its all said and done it may not be worth it. I really don't think BMW allows it anyways. I think Infiniti put a stop on it last year when the G35 was rolled out b/c it would have been much cheaper to get the car in Canada due to the exchange rate.
  • stclair454stclair454 Member Posts: 2
    If I understand you correctly you just paid $3150 over the invoice price or $105 over MSRP. Not knowing what options you have, I think you did well.

We did a lot of research and found that there are no real price concessions in the northeast, but I'm not sure that is true for the SE, Midwest or Western markets.

You're going to love your car so does the price really matter.....
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    'buffagm' ordered a 330, not a 325, and the options are stated right there. He/she also stated that the price for the 325 was $31k.

For a 330i, $36,400 is a much better than $3150 over invoice/$105 over MSRP:

'03 330i
    5spd
    standard(non-metallic)paint
    Sport Package
    Bi-Xenon headlights
    Moonroof

MSRP = $38,245 / invoice = $35,020

If the dealer agreed to an as-optioned '03 330i for $36,400, that's $1380 over invoice (not $3150), which is on the low end of what the 330 sedans are selling for.

I paid $1800 over invoice for an '03 330Ci, but they're in higher demand right now. buffagm got a deal just about right for a 3-series sedan. Most report getting prices of between $1k-$1.5k over invoice.
  • pwh1968pwh1968 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2003 330i , sport , zeon, metallic paint and live in Virginia. Does anyone know where I can get pricing for a 2003 on the web?

Buffagm, What state did you buy your car? Sounds like you got a good deal. My best price so far is $1900 over invoice. I had hoped to get the 330i for around $1400 over invoice.

Thanks,
  • bimmer3ibimmer3i Member Posts: 48
    Ordered 330i (North Jersey). Estimated delivery date is on Oct 11.
    Here are the specs:
    2003 330i
    metallic gray green
    Steptronic
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    MSRP: $41,145
    Invoice: $37,710
    Purchase price: $39,000
  • gassaly2gassaly2 Member Posts: 1
    I am moving abroad in three weeks and need to sell my 330ci. It is Titanium Silver/black leather interior. Premium package, sport package, hk sound, cd, 5-speed, 14K miles. I ordered it new from the factory last year. It has been garaged and never been in any accidents. The car is in outstanding condition. My email address is gassaly@hotmail.com. or 610-265-7755.
  • buffagmbuffagm Member Posts: 21
    I live in New York, ordered from a dealer in Binghamton. Highly recommended to anyone looking. Let me know if anyone wants more details.
  • pwh1968pwh1968 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks buffagm,

Got them down to $1500 over invoice today. I think that is the best I can do at this time. Now I have to decide if I want to pay the extra 4 grand for the 330i or stay with a 325i. I have a 2001 325i but didn't get the sport. I'll let you know the price when I get back with the dealer Thurs.
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    It is interesting that the pricing discussion board for VW Passat has over 1000 messages and growing fast, while there is virtually no discussion about value (buying price) on cars like the BMW, Lexus or Benz.

No wonder the design head of Honda Accord think that the sophisticated buyers are opting for Passat now-a-day.
  • chunkybchunkyb Member Posts: 10
    Essweb:
    Could you clarify? I'm interested in what you are trying to say, but don't understand exactly. I think those of us who have decided to get a BMW realize that there are cars with more HP, more features and are larger for less money, but for enthusiasts like me, a Passat (or Camry or Accord) just wouldn't cut the mustard (I've driven all three, except 03 Accord). You may be interested to know that VW Jetta/Golf owners don't graduate to Passats, the graduate to 3 series BMWs according to VW market research. And I agree, Honda's playing catch-up to VW.
  • jpnwdcjpnwdc Member Posts: 42
    Last week I paid around $33,600 (or $1,000 off MSRP) on a 2002 325i with the following:

Automatic
    Metallic Paint
    Leather Seats
    Premium Pkg.
    Cold Weather Pkg.
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Member Posts: 70
    5-spd, Titanum Silver Metallic Paint
    Black Leather
    Sports Package
    Premium Package
    Harmon Kardon
    Xenons

The salesman said he forgot to add the price of the leather in an he said he would eat it so I got $1400 off, paid $33,745 + TTL
  • 325i2002325i2002 Member Posts: 6
    My salesman just told me 325i do not come with floor mats! I can't believe a 30K+ car, and no floor mats. How much are they?
    thx
    It really doesn't come with floor mats. I was charged about $150 for it so I told them not to put one. I'll just buy the BMW winter mats costing $70 (front and rear).
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    at lots of dealers, id look around.

DL
  • mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Including floor mats, dealer prep and who knows what else they added, 2 caps and a key chain ;-)

I told them, you can add as many extra dealer fees you want, but once you add everything, I'm not paying a dime above Invoice + $1500 (the $1500 of course, to fund the dealers wife yatch in Florida)

And so we made a deal, I bought the car, the dealer, (who would not go to bankruptcy because of me), received a juicy $1500 for 5min work on a car that sells by itself, (otherwise, would have lost the sale to another dealer). And we all lived happily ever after (at least he did).

The way I see it, I paid $1499 more than I should

If Infinity can sell the G35 at $32000 MSRP, How much is the real cost of producing a 330, $15000?
    100+% gain is not bad, aah! (other wise, they would be out of business long time ago, and not investing 100+ millions in Formula 1).

But, as long as there are people willing to kill each other for the car, and pay whatever they ask, then, the closer to the MSRP the price will (I am starting to sound like Yoda) The good old offer and demand.

At least you know, somebody was able to get the car for $1500 above invoice, you should to. And thats what's great about this forum.

Don't trust that Edmunds TMV scam!
  • yank23eesyank23ees Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone recommend a dealer with a customer friendly service dept ??

I have my 15k visit coming up soon
    My dealer threw in the floor mats, I figure most of them would
  • euishikbangeuishikbang Member Posts: 6
    I live in Orange County in California and
    my friend who lives in South Carolina will be selling his BMW early december because he is leaving the country. He wants to drive the car until he leaves because he doesn't want to rent a car or anything...and I am thinking of buying it from him... I actually drove the car when I went over there this summer, and it is in good condition.... It is 1999 BMW 328i (new body style) It has a premium package, sports package, steptronic transmission, xenon headlamps and now it's got 41K miles... but he told me to expect about 50K miles in early December...
    Because this year is almost over and he has to drive the car until the day he leave, I am not sure what I should pay... I did look up the Kelly Blue Book pricing for retail and it was little less than $22K for now.... Considering the fact that he is going to put at least 8000 extra miles on the car and I will be actually buying the car in december, what would be a good price for this BMW? I just don't want to waste my hard earned cash... Can somebody please help me?
    Thank you...
  • kibbiekibbie Member Posts: 1
    I just got the offer for a white/gray leather fully loaded (sports,premium,cold weather package, xenon, Harmon Kardon stereo etc.) for $33,500. It was an executive 2002 car with 6500 miles on it. Is that a good deal?
    I got the same price for the same car brand new, I got the 5 spd though, steptronic is about $1400 MSRP
  • 325i2002325i2002 Member Posts: 6
    I will be picking up my 2002 steel blue 325i this friday. wooohooo!!
    Paid $32,700.
    auto, premium, xenon, black leather, and mats!! :)
    I think I got a pretty good deal.
    congrats on your new purchase 325, I just got mine 3 weeks ago, good luck and have fun with it
  • golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    Ordered mine last Saturday. 325i, Titanium silver, black leatherette, premium, sport, Harmon Kardon, steptronic, $33,300 - $1,200 over invoice. Included floor mats, two key chains, a hat and a shirt. Not bad for 20 minutes of negotiating. Delivery date mid December!
    hey im also a golf nut, actually I play college golf here in Louisiana, I just love taking my 325 to the course, same as yours but I got the 5 spd and black leather
  • simon9394simon9394 Member Posts: 7
    I am currently planning on buying a 2003 330i/stl gry/sp/pp/xenon w/ European Delivery. Can anybody suggest a dealer who would accept 1000 - 1200 over invoice? I am willing to travel even further if the saving could justify it. I have heard some dealers in the Baltimore & PA area are willing to sell just 700 over invoice for ED. Thanks all in advance for your valuable suggestions.
    I am in NYC and am looking for a deal in NY, NJ, CT, MD, PA area
  • sholsteinsholstein Member Posts: 1
    What's a BMW dealer's holdback?
  • wanta325xiwanta325xi Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 2003 325xi with metallic paint, cold weather, leather, premium pkg. List is 35870. What discount can I expect? What have others paid?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check this page for holdback information.

Dealer Holdback

The car salesman I referred to (Rich Rodriguez) told me that he can do it for a little bit less than $1,500 over invoice. Why not try to come over and maybe you could have a deal close to your range?
    Prestige BMW is on Route 17 South (North Jersey) few miles from 287/87 and 17 intersection.
    Thanks for your help and the info. I am actually trying to see which dealer is willing to do ED for about 1000 (or less) over invoice. I can easily get 1500 over invoice for many dealers in my area.
  • rutegerruteger Member Posts: 60
    Consider researching the entire US for the ED price you want. It doesn't come out of their allotment, so they don't care.

The problem will be when you have it delivered to a local dealer. Some of them want a 'courtesy delivery' fee of a couple hundred dollars (or more). It's nothing more than a scam, but they can do it, I suppose.

But if you check around, you might be able to find a local dealer that will deliver it for free. In that case, you'll easily be able to find another dealer somewhere willing to meet your ED price.
  • newtobostonnewtoboston Member Posts: 31
    2002 325i purchased in August
    Sport Package
    Metallic Paint
    Moon-roof
    Heated Seats

Invoice = $28,580
    MSRP = $31,170
    TMV = $30,678
    Carsdirect = $30,928
    What I paid = $30,400

That's $770 under MSRP and $1,820 over invoice. I thought the price was OK as it was under TMV price but after reading the posts here I know I could have done better. Actually I knew I left money on the table because that was the first price I offered and they took it (after a 5 minute "talk" with the manager).

Don't care though, I'm not much of a haggler and I'm happy just to have my Beemer!

Another side note, didn't really want the heated seats when I bought it but after this morning my [non-permissible content removed] is glad I got'em!
  • topdawgstopdawgs Member Posts: 7
    thinking of buying the 325xi,is the 4wd worth the extra cost.
  • ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    is the 4wd worth the extra cost?

That's a personal question, based on your desires and typical driving conditions. Do you live where snowfall is heavy?

Also consider that the 325xi sits a bit higher than the RWD counterpart. This can detract from the vintage handling/cornering that BMW is known for.

I, too, was debating about this option. Since I live in Northern VA where there are not many bad weather days, and because of the different suspension, I opted for the RWD.

FWIW, since you're looking at only about a 1.5-2 K difference in price on an expensive car, I would focus on the lifestyle factor and not the money factor.
  • donthinenidonthineni Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered 2003 325i with the following options:

Black Saphire Metallic
    Natural Brown Leather
    Premium Package
    Steptronic Trans
    Harman Kardon Premium Sound System

The MSRP is $35,070 and I ordered for $34,070.
    Is this ok price ?
  • andrewsartinandrewsartin Member Posts: 1
    I'm a Sailor living abroad in sunny Italy. As a courtesy to the US Government, we get our new models at *about* cost through the BMW military sales program. In my case, Pentagon Car Sales in Agnano (Naples) is the official dealer. Cars are all US specs, not EU. I'm shopping for sedans, bases prices are: 325i, $24,600; 325xi, $26,350; 330i, $31,000; 330xi, $32,750. My dream car now checks around $33,650 before destination. That is a 325xi with the sport, premium, and cold weather packages, xenon headlights, and the navigation system. I'll upgrade the stereo myself, thank you very much. Options are basically stateside MSRP, a few are a little less. And yes, floormats are $100. The destination charge of $580 gets me insurance and temporary liscence plates for a factory delivery, or I can get delivery to Naples. No choice on the charge, fortunately I intend to break in my (future) baby on the Autobahn, as God almighty intended. I also get to send the car back to the US as used after putting 500 miles on the odometer, and if I register here with AFI (Allied Forces, Italy) for six months, there is no import tax! That just leaves federal and state tax, and the title back home in Colorado. The only downside? 1 Euro per liter for gas ($4 a gallon)while the car is here, plus crazy Italian drivers. Baby will be going home after six months. If you work for the US Government as DoD or Civilian and you're coming to Europe or Asia, look into the program at www.bmw.de/militarysales, and especially www.pentagoncarsales.com for Europe. Pentagon Car Sales will send you a price list by e-mail if you ask for one.

May your roads be empty, well-kept, and twisty.
  • edkumaredkumar Member Posts: 1
    i live in wisconsin, i am interested in 330xi where can i get a good price for a loaded new car willing to go to madison, milwaukee and chicago? and is the sport package worth the money?
  • blscearceblscearce Member Posts: 1
    For a 325i, the sport package is worth the money -- you get an improved suspension. Most people who don't get it wish that they had.

The 330i already has the better suspension. And the 325xi and 330xi don't get an improved suspension with the sport package. On these cars, the sport package does get you the three-spoke steering wheel, larger wheels, and improved seats.

I've ordered a 325xi, and I opted for the sport package. I don't care about the steering wheel. I care a little bit about the wheels. But the sport seats are quite a bit more comfortable than the regular seats.

I'd advise you to sit in both types of seats before you decide.
  • topaz325topaz325 Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a new 325i. I think I got a good price thanks to a lot of info I found on these forums.
    So I decided to give back to the community ;)

2003 325i (Manual)
    Topaz Blue
    Sports Package
    HK System
    Xenon Lights
    Floor Mats (this is so funny ;)

MSRP: $31,745
    Invoice: $29,364
    What I negotiated: $30,745 (including the bogus $45 "Doc Fee" which they added afterwards, and "free" Floor Mats)

I think I paid $100-$200 more than I should have, but I can never negotiate for the last couple of hundreds; they already know I am going to buy the car...
    Still, ~$1400 over invoice is not that bad.

Btw, the Fleet Manager (Victor Hung) at Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo is very easy to do business with.
    You can negotiate with him if you've done your research and you know what you're talking about. He's quite reasonable when you show him you know the facts, and you propose a reasonable deal.

This is the first new car I've bought. If I can get a good deal, you can do it too !

Thanks to everyone who posts here!
  • bgt1bgt1 Member Posts: 50
    Has anyone been getting this lately? I heard that is what they are offering.

And if so, also the approx $1k off everyone is getting?

If so, I might be able to get myself into a 330 instead of 325!! =)
  • spombe7spombe7 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 325 with $1,000 above invoice. If you are interested in where and how to get this deal, let me know. In short, don't shop at the two deals in the center of Houston, they do not negotiate. If you are willing to drive within a 30min radius, it is not hard to find willing BMW dealers who will give you a good deal.
  • drtomdcdrtomdc Member Posts: 7
    Here in Dallas I was offered a 2002 330i for $1500 off MSRP with 2.9% financing. But the car is black with stone (?) (beige) interior.

Dunno if I can swing the same discount on a new 2003 330i. (excluding the financing)
  • drtomdcdrtomdc Member Posts: 7
    Did you buy a 2002 or 2003?
  • cab7cab7 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have a good experience to share regarding the purchase of a 330, including price shopping, in the Boston or Massachusetts area?
  • nirvanaornirvanaor Member Posts: 13
    Going to buy a used 325ci 2001,premium package,sports package,30000 miles for $25500 from a private seller in two days. Is it a good deal in FL? Would I be covered the same way as the owner (all maintenance till 50000/4 years,roadside assistance,loaner car etc). This is the first time I am buying a used car and I know ppl on this forum can give me some very good advice asap
  • sammy34sammy34 Member Posts: 1
    Could someone please help with some info?
    is 330 really worth the extra money over 325?
    My dealer discouraged me from getting the Sports package, knowing I'm price sensitive...How different is the ride? Is there a really noticeable difference..Finally, this is what he offered to sell the car for (I have already leased two cars from him before, so I'm expecting a good deal)

325ci coupe
    red, non metallic
    premium package
    leather+wood trim
    steptronic trans

33k which includes the dest charge...

IS this good deal?
  • bimmer12bimmer12 Member Posts: 72
    Sammy34- 330 vs 325 is a question that varies and should be based on personal preference and budget. The 2.5 liter engine is more than adequate but most on this board prefer the 3.0 for the added power. The 3.0liter engine is also rated as one of the best engines bmw has ever created in terms of forecasted reliability and performance and the 2.5 is right behind it.

As for the sport pkg- I think it's a must especially with a coupe. The sports seats are a remarkable upgrade in their comfort, the wheels and white indicator lights look good, and when you sell the car, you will get your money back. Dealers tend to discourage the sport package when they don't have a car with it in stock. I saw this quite a bit when purchasing a 530i...You already have a sports suspension on the coupe but I would get it...

I don't what kind of demand there is for this car but $33k for a 325ci with auto and premium pkg is not a bad deal considering leather is now not included in the premium package and is an extra $1500... I don't think the leather seats are worth it given the quality of the leatherette seats but that is my opinion..

Lastly, remember you are already paying mid 30's for a car and paying $3-4k more for a 330ci is not that much considering the capital investment you will make on your purchase... Drive both and go with what you will be happier with
  • e3r7r7e3r7r7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase an '03 325ci with manual transmission; SP; PP; leather and metallic paint in the Houston area, and was curious to know what a good buy would be. I've been working with a saleswoman at the SW-Houston dealership and she's urged me to order (4-6 wk lag time) my vehicle. . .after some consideration I don't think she's giving me a 'deal' at all (35,620 +TTL). Spombe7 et al, where did you get your good deal?