Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jnelson12jnelson12 Member Posts: 4
    My BMW dealer is trying to talk me into the BMWSelect for the 09 328i. Can someone PLEASE help me understand this payment. They are saying the payment is $410 per month which equates to financing $24k for 5 years at 1.9%. The balloon is 12,290.85. So that equals a price of $37k, which is the sticker price.

They claim to be giving me $4,500 in incentives so I think that the financing should look like this. $32,745 (price)- 12,290 (balloon)= $20,454 financed which brings payments to $360 ish per month.

Is my BMW trying to pull one over on me?? I have talked to them and they claim that their figures are correct. Thanks in advance for your help!!
  • Options
    hollywood53hollywood53 Member Posts: 44
    I doubt that you have been given $1000 below invoice plus the holiday cash? something is wrong there is no other market assistance except loyalty so it may be invoice minus a thousand basically giving them a 500 dollar deal, Others please feeel free to chime in if the is any other money as I am ordering 328 x drive today at invoice minus the holiday cash on a lease I am the one missing something?
  • Options
    vanbastenvanbasten Member Posts: 6
    Is this quote for 09 or 10?
  • Options
    pearliegirlpearliegirl Member Posts: 38
    I am trying to decide between 3 cars to purchase (all 2007's), A4 2.0 quattro, BMW 328xi, and Mercedes C280 4matic. Can I get some thoughts and perspectives from the group please? It seems like the BMW is the most expensive, the Audi is next, and the Mercedes is the least expensive by about $3000. Thanks for the help!

-Pearl
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    BMW's free maintenance will save you at least 1k over the next 3-4 years. How? Brakes alone, my friend. Oil changes are over $80 each at Audi too.

As for performance, that's kinda up to you. If the drive comes down to money, I'd say go find a 2007 328xi with CPO and 0.9% financing. The car will be ~40% cheaper and you're not really missing out on anything.
  • Options
    adr2adr2 Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know how the holiday $$ is calculated for lease purposes? Is it strictly a reduction of the negotiated price? My CA is trying to tell me that taxes are paid on it. Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    leslie28leslie28 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I'm new to leasing so I need all the help I can get. I live in Miami and recently sat with a salesman at my local BMW dealer. Here's what I was offered.

MSRP $42,000
    36 months
    10,000 miles
    Premium package which includes leather interior
    Dealer offered $2,500 plus $1,500 holiday credit
    $1,700 due at signing (covers 1st payment,security deposit,tag,dealer fees)
    $540 a month (taxes included)

Please advise if this is good, or if I should shop around more. Also, the car has to be ordered in order for me to get the color and features I'm interested in.

Thank you!
  • Options
    With a lease - as with a purchase - you first negotiate the sale price. What is the price of the car? If the MSRP is 42k I'd hope you negotiated a price at or below invoice.
  • Options
    anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    I don't think "BMW" is trying to pull one over on you. The dealer, however, may be. My Client Adviser never pushed one financing method over any other. We agreed on a price over invoice ($1250 over, for the record, on a 2010 335d). We added that to the invoice price, then subtracted the $4500 EcoCredit, which is an incentive specific to the diesel models. But the Holiday Credit would come off in the same way. We didn't make a decision about Finance, Lease or BMW Select until the car arrived from Germany and we were ready to sign papers.

Build that car on Edmunds.com Add $500 to the invoice price. Subtract the holiday credit ($1500?) That's a good goal to shoot for as a financed amount/capitalized cost.

If you want to lease, and they want you to do BMW Select, something's wrong with the deal. If they played the "what monthly payment do you want to be at" game with you when you first engaged the Client Advisor, they may be trying to get you in at that price, and may be using BMW Select to do that. Given the good lease rates that are in effect right now on '09s, I doubt that your monthly payment will be lower with BMW Select. BMW Select CAN lower payments on "unsupported" models such as M3, M5, etc. But the 328i is a "bread and butter" car for BMW and they support the heck out of them with higher residuals and lower money factors. You may check e90post.com and look in the dealer forum there to see if the dealer you're dealing with has a history of these sorts of shenanigans. Honestly, leasing a BMW with a trusted Client Advisor is actually one of the most pleasant and easy auto purchase transactions I have ever had. It should be EASY, not hard. If it's hard, find another dealer.
  • Options
    Please tell me how do I find out the invoice price for the car I'm looking to lease?
  • Options
    anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    build the car on edmunds.com. the invoice price will be displayed. There's also a really cool calculator at truecar.com, which will tell you what people actually paid for your car.
  • Options
    erniesdaderniesdad Member Posts: 37
    The BMWSelect financing sounds interesting. However, the BMW site has very little info on the program, such as interest rates, balloon payments, etc. When I look at the BMW site to determine my payment, they don't even include the interest rate for the loan. I'd like to find out more about it, so I can do a decent analysis of what I'd be paying out to see if it is worthwhile doing v. traditional financing. Any links, etc where I can get more info?
  • Options
    Great....Thank you!
  • Options
    Ok, so according to Edmunds.com the invoice for the car I'd like to lease with the features I'm wanting to get is $42,570.
    To re-cap the salesman I spoke to is offering the following:
    $42,000 (with premium package and moonroof)
    36 months
    10,000 miles
    $2,500 and $1,500 Holiday credit that the dealer is offering me
    $1,700 that I have to pay at signing
    $540 monthly with taxes included (that's 7% where I live)
    So, should I go forward with it, or shop around for a better deal?
    Thank you again!
  • Options
    rnosrnos Member Posts: 6
    Holiday $$ goes towards the cash down. This means that it is not considered discount, but rather additional Cap Cost reduction which is taxed.
  • Options
    When doing a lease or figuring out how "good" a lease is:

1. Get the MSRP
    2. Negotiate the sale price
    3. Residual
    4. Money Factor.
    5. Visit leaseguide.com and enter all the numbers into their calculator. This will tell you how much of what the dealer is saying is real and how much is shinola.

That said, you may not want to put $1700 down at signing. Instead pay the acquisition cost and put the rest into MSDs. Multiple Security Deposits will drop your money factor and they're returned to you. The ROI on MSDs far exceeds anything you'll get from a bank right now - $3150. If you can max them, do so. You'll get them back at the end but in the interim it'll make about 10-12% a year for you.

BTW, never talk payments with a salesperson. Just get the numbers - negotiated price, residual, money factor. And if the F&I guy acts like he doesn't know what MSDs are or claims they aren't a good deal ask to talk with a manager. For reasons beyond understanding some F&I guys act like MSDs hurt the dealer. They don't.
  • Options
    Ok and thank you all again so much for your advise.
  • Options
    jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    Are you certain of that invoice price? That sounds very high to me unless you're loading up with options.
  • Options
    mowermower Member Posts: 18
    Car_man

My lease is up March 2010. I wanted to order a BMW this month to take advantage of the discounts and holiday cash. The dealer indicated that after 30 days the incentives would go away and I would have to live with what the incentives would be when the car arrived in Feb. 2010.
    MY QUESTION: Can you let my know the time period incentives can be held for a car ordered. Is it 30 days from order? Thanks, Mower
  • Options
    rdearrdear Member Posts: 2
    I've done the same thing - Ordered in Nov. for an early Feb. delivery. As long as an application has been processed there is a 90 lock on the deal. If rates/incentives improve I will take advantage of them. The first dealer I went to didn't know that - thought that if the car doesn't come in by Jan 4 I would lose out. The dealer I bought from checked with mother BMW and confirmed the 90 day lock. With the 90 days I actually get 3 bites from the apple - Dec. Jan. and Feb. (I'll pick up my car right after the Feb. rates are posted.)
  • Options
    Thank you for your information on the 90 day hold. I am right now in negotiations with my dealer for a new car lease. Much appreciated for the info.

mower
  • Options
    bassholicbassholic Member Posts: 13
    Research what the Money Factor is for the car you want to purchase. Convert the money factor into an interest rate and then your work is done. Also, what is this "balloon payment" you are talking about?
  • Options
    Car_man.

In the 328-C info is the VALUE PACKAGE. What is this package. Also, where does the dealer get the $1,760 to assist with the lease price of $459 per month?

Thanks,

mower
  • Options
    kishankishan Member Posts: 1
    i am planning to buy 328i or 328xi. can u advise me wht is best price for this car with following options
    msrp -32850
    mettalic paint -550
    premium package 4100
    automatic tramsmission 1325
    comfort access system 500
    total comes out 39650
    invoice on edmunds 36535 including destinatino charge 825 plus i am gonna get 1500 holiday credit.
    can somebody tell me how much price I should offer to dealers?
    thanks
  • Options
    erniesdaderniesdad Member Posts: 37
    Research what the Money Factor is for the car you want to purchase. Convert the money factor into an interest rate and then your work is done. Also, what is this "balloon payment" you are talking about?

It starts back from this message:

My BMW dealer is trying to talk me into the BMWSelect for the 09 328i. Can someone PLEASE help me understand this payment. They are saying the payment is $410 per month which equates to financing $24k for 5 years at 1.9%. The balloon is 12,290.85. So that equals a price of $37k, which is the sticker price.

They claim to be giving me $4,500 in incentives so I think that the financing should look like this. $32,745 (price)- 12,290 (balloon)= $20,454 financed which brings payments to $360 ish per month.

Is my BMW trying to pull one over on me?? I have talked to them and they claim that their figures are correct. Thanks in advance for your help!!

So, from all appearances, BMWSelect looks like a loan with a balloon payment at the end. However, looking at the BMW financing site, the idea of the balloon payment at the end seems to be a way of avoiding calling it a lease, except instead of the car belonging to BMW, it belongs to you, with a big giant lien on the title, held by BMW--hence the balloon payment to fully pay off the car at the end of the term.

However, looking at the BMW site, googling BMW select, etc, almost no detailed information seems to be available. I might be interested in using this type of financing, but would like to see a lot more detail concerning the program from BMW itself. It seems like this might be a good option for people who might want to split their cash outlay for a car, say $5k upfront, and $10k at the end of the loan term, or something like that.
  • Options
    adeel2adeel2 Member Posts: 3
    I have been offered a 2009 BMW 3 series sedan lease for total down $3500 and $460 a month including tax. Is this a good deal?

The car has the Sports Premium & Packages with a MSRP of $42,600

I would appreciate if anyone could let me know if this a good deal or not. I guess this includes Holiday Cash from BMW. and due to year end.
  • Options
    This site really needs a "how to negotiate a lease" sticky.

1. Get the sale price (just like on a purchase)
    2. Get the money factor
    3. Get the residual
    4. Get any fees (acquisition fees, doc fees, etc)
    5. Enter the numbers in the lease calculator at leaseguide.com
  • Options
    vaio23vaio23 Member Posts: 5
    They have a used CPO 09 BMW 335i sedan at the local BMW dealership. It has navi,sports, premium packages and has 9K miles. Looking at the car fax it seems to be a demo or loaner since it has never been registered. They had it for $43K, then went down to $40K and now it is listed for $38K. It this a good deal even if it was a loaner?
  • Options
    hchen45hchen45 Member Posts: 6
    Here are some good reasons on why you shouldn't buy one. :)
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307039
  • Options
    ajitpkajitpk Member Posts: 7
    does the holiday cash back apply to Euro Delivery cars? Plan to get a 3 series on April 1st so was going to do the order on 1/3 so hopefully the 90 day lock applies if I can get the cash back deal!!
  • Options
    agingyoungeragingyounger Member Posts: 3
    I am negotiating with local dealer for 328i, demo, under 5k miles, sport package and premium package.
    Can someone please guide me as to what would be a suitable price to pay?
  • Options
    wonderfullwonderfull Member Posts: 15
    You should expect quotes around Invoice+few hundred $$ - $1500 rebate.
  • Options
    Thank you. How can I find out the true invoice price? It is my understaning that sticker and invoice prices are different.
  • Options
    pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Try http://www.kbb.com. There are other sites too. At kbb, you can add your options and compare invoice to retail.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    You need to include every leasing discussion on edmunds. I've stopped repeating that info -- most don't listen. Nice thought though.
  • Options
    HELP!!!
    I used the car lease guide and also the Edmunds basic lease guide. Both gave me the monthly payment I was looking for with this car. The dealer agreed to 500 over invoice. However, he is asking for $750 acq fee. I am doing the title and lic on my own.
    He advised me that BMW sets the acq fee. I called the 800 number and they advised me to check with the dealer.
    QUESTION: How do I discover the correct acq fee. The above seems high to me.

I need an answer within two days. Sorry, but I have to put down money inorder to order this car this month. THANKS, mower
  • Options
    jpfivejpfive Member Posts: 37
    I would say several thousand under invoice for demo 328, at least 5k less if not more
  • Options
    725 is BMW acquisition fee for a lease, if I'm not mistaken, so it's either risen to 750 or they've marked it up a tad
  • Options
    sasha12sasha12 Member Posts: 11
    Not sure if you've already purchased one or not. I bought a 328i 2010, metallic paint, premium, sport, auto, xenon, heated seats for invoice (before taxes) and they took the $1500 holiday credit off AFTER the taxes were added. Not sure there's any other way to apply the credit but wanted to mention it.
    So: 39,025. invoice w/taxes, fees, 42,847.

Not sure if I got the best deal but asking for invoice price and getting it, I felt pretty good. The only thing I would have liked to ask for in retrospect is more accessories thrown in (they gave me rubber slush mats).

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response to my question concerning the acq fee of $750.00.
    I will work on this with the dealer. Take care. mower
  • Options
    dwoondwoon Member Posts: 2
    Which state are you in?

I got an offer from a dealer. but it seems too high compared to what others got.

this is the price offered for 328i 2010, metallic, premium, auto, comfort access, heated seats.
    36125 (invoice from edmunds) + 580 (training/service/advertising fee) + 179 (floor mat) + around 500 (some margin) - 1500 + TT&L (took 1500 off before tax)

So when we are saying actual invoice, this training/service/advertising fee should be added or not?

And when a dealer has to transfer a car from other dealers, does he charge more for this? (In my case, it was over extra 500)

Thanks
  • Options
    adeel2adeel2 Member Posts: 3
    How much down did you put? What is the monthly payment after tax?
  • Options
    -Ad fee only legit if included on dealer invoice (true cost passed on to dealer)...ask them to show it to you.
    -Training & service fees not legit (unless on invoice, but probably not on there)
    -Would not add back 500 profit (they are still making thousands on deal when you pay invoice)
    -Yes they have to pay fee to another dealer to move car, depends on distance. If local, 500 too much

All in, you should be able to peel 1,500 off cost in worst case and should be able to get 2,000 to 2,500 in best case this time of year (below invoice).
  • Options
    How much under invoice are buyers getting for 335i's, as we approach the end of year?

Are folks seeing any flexibility on MF or residual?
  • Options
    wonderfullwonderfull Member Posts: 15
    SF bay area dealers are quoting few hundred above invoice.
    Don't you get $2,500 rebate for the 335i?
    G
  • Options
    dwoondwoon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.

"All in, you should be able to peel 1,500 off cost in worst case and should be able to get 2,000 to 2,500 in best case this time of year (below invoice). "

Do you mean 1500 off from MSRP in worst case? (without applying holidy credit)
    So in best case we can get MSRP - 2500. Did you mean that?

Thanks
  • Options
    george1george1 Member Posts: 4
    I live in New York and I am looking for a 335xi with Nav,comfort access,Premium Pkg,
    cold weather pkg, logic sound , and parking distance control
    Can anyone tell me is this too much to pay for 10k per year for 36 months on a lease $4000dn $625 per month
  • Options
    Sasha, sounds like a good deal Can you direct me to the dealership where you purchased. I am in the market for a 2009, premium and sports 328i CPO with low mileage or a demo untitled 2009
    Thanks
  • Options
    I meant you 1500-2500 off the current offer from your dealer, that you have more room to negotiate
  • Options
    Thanks for SF insights. Yes, 2500 for 335.

I may target invoice - 2500 (holiday cash) - 1000 (end-of-year hardball). At a minimum, sounds like invoice - 2500 holiday cash is doable based on some preliminary dealer discussions. I'm just now venturing into dealerships.