Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    do not physically go to a dealer. Just send emails with your request. you're wasting your time physically going to a dealership. The salesguy on the lot can't help you. The internet/fleet manager wants to clear inventory. Again, avoid salespeople and going to the dealer. There is ZERO need to do this in 2010. Heck, you can have them bring you your car after you do everything via phone and email.
  • ggaramoniggaramoni Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to negotiate a deal on a BMW 335i coupe. The salesman said the TMV for this model on Edmunds reflects the $2500 holiday cash credit currently offered by BMW.

Is he right?
    1. Never deal with salespeople
    2. Never mention TMV - no point in mentioning what other people might pay
    3. He's lying. The car sells for invoice. Then subtract he credit. This elads back to 1. go through the internet/fleet manager.
  • lexhoulexhou Member Posts: 81
    Mr. Blueguy.......you seem to want to Bulldoze everyone with your opinions. there is more than one way to purchase a vehicle, so opinions are fine but dont say never do this never never....I feel sorry if you have a dog. Anyway I've decided to purch another Lexus instead of going BMW route, sorry but felt I must comment on the way you come acroos on this forum, your way or Wrong way. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • nl09nl09 Member Posts: 9
    Had a chance this summer to buy a new 2009 335D off the lot for $35,995 ...an unbelievable price.
  • sasha12sasha12 Member Posts: 11
    Not sure if I got the best deal now that I'm reading folks think you get them below invoice! I live in Northern Ca. I bought mine in Roseville, Ca.

Again...I negotiated invoice prior to taxes or anything else. Holiday credit and my trade in value was applied after taxes. Not sure there's any other way to do it.

If I was to do it again, I'd try for 500 below invoice.

Just be able to walk away.
    I'm in northern california. When I say invoice I mean I had the dealer print out the inovoice listing for everything I was getting. Then I said I'd buy it today if they could give it to me for invoice. So I negotiated down to the invoice price and then all the fees and taxes were added. Maybe you can negotiated with all that included.

If you did you'd be asking for 1000's below invoice. My taxes and fees were roughly 3,700.
    they gave me 6K for my car plus 1500 holiday rebate so 7500 total down. My payment is $660. Added gap at the end.
    lex,

People are welcome to go through a salesman but that's another mouth to feed and it taints the entire process. you deal with a salesman you deal with a middleman who wants a chunk of your pie. Whatever you get it down to, if the salesman is there he's getting a portion and you're paying him to act as little more than a messenger boy. To each his own.

Enjoy your car.

Never deal with a salesman. Never. They serve no purpose. :P
  • jetmjetm Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I'm looking to purchase a new 2009 BMW 328i convertible with numerous options (Premium, Sport, Nav, etc). The MSRP is 54,350. According to Edmunds the Invoice price is $50,035 and the TMV is $48,372 (or $1,663 off invoice). When I referenced the Edmunds TMV price he said "Yeah the Edmunds TMV price is incorrect because it doesn't factor in several dealer costs". I just ignored his comment at the time...but before I go back to actually negotiate the final price I wanted to see if others were getting the TMV price for a BMW 328i conv. I've seen other comments in this forum about getting 500 under invoice...that's a far cry from $1663 off invoice. Is the TMV in this case reasonable?

I'm going for a 2009 because I thought the dealer would be more willing to negotiate / accept my lower offer for a 2009.

The other data point here is that the local dealer in San Diego doesn't appear to have the car on their lot but they offered to "transfer" it from another dealer in LA. No reference to cost to do that. Are they going to try charge me for the transfer? Carmax transfers cars from LA to San Diego at no cost.

One last question...should I finish the negotiations over the phone or do I need to go to the dealer for them to show that I'm serious about buying it now...which I am.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Regards,
    Jammer
  • jpfivejpfive Member Posts: 37
    I didn't have much luck trying to go with Internet only with BMW this month. Most of my emails to various Florida dealerships were just forwarded to a sales manager who wouldn't give numbers by email and insisted that I come in to talk. However, other brand dealers have been more open to talking numbers over email.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    If your only goal is to get the lowest price possible then salesmen serve no purpose. Although I suspect if you go to many internet managers they will refer a salesman to help you. on less expensive vehicles salesman will only make a $1XX or so.

If you goal is to build a long term business relationship, keep an eye out for an incoming car or have the features and options explained, etc. then your statement is incorrect.
    Thanks for replies thus far but still looking to get input on the following two questions...

1) Does anyone have any experience in getting dealers to agree to TMV pricing on BMW 3 series autos? In my case the TMV price would be $1663 off invoice.

2) Should I expect that the dealer will add on cost if they transfer a car from another dealer in LA? By the way i'm looking at buying this weekend.

Jammer
    If I were to go for the Sirius Radio option (includes 1 yr subscription) what happens if I decided not to renew after 1 yr? Does the Radio work at all or does it require a subscription to be functional?

Jammer
    1. I'm thinking that TMV price includes holiday cash. My objective is invoice - holiday cash, my strech goal is invoice - holiday cash - $1,000. If you're looking at 328, then 1663 would be just below invoice - 1,500 holiday cash.

2. You will get a poor deal on dealer transfer. You will pay for the transfer and the LA dealer will not give a good transfer price to your dealer. You will get a significantly better deal with in-stock inventory.
    radio still works without sat subscription
    Jpfive, thanks for the quick response....

TMV does include $1,500 Holiday cash. I tried TMV but excluded $1,500 and the dealers said no way they could sell it for this amount. I was testing their limits and seemed to have found it. www.truecar.com notes that the car has a $1,260 hold back. So if this is true then I'd be below the Dealers actual cost if I excluded the $1500 Holiday cash...probably the reason I got the quick no way.

The TMV value for the car was $48,372 (inclusive of the $1,500 Holiday cash). I proposed $48.4K. They countered with $48,450 which is effectively $1585 off Invoice...albeit $1500 of this is the Holiday cash part.

I think I could probably get them lower particularly given we're talking about a 2009 and we are days from 2010. I'm assuming it is a negative thing for dealers to carry over 2009 inventory into 2010? Independent of the inventory issue I think once the $1,500 holiday cash special ends on 1/04/2010 I think they will have a very tough time selling 2009's unless they sell it at VERY aggressive prices (i.e., @ Cost). Of course I could wait until Jan 3rd to do the deal but I'm risking that the 2009 convertibles will be gone by then or the selections available aren't to my liking. :)

Thoughts on any of my comments?

Jammer
  • wonderfullwonderfull Member Posts: 15
    So you are getting $50 off invoice. Should be able to do better for 09 models.
    The quotes I am getting for 2010 models are $500 above invoice.

One of the dealers added a $140 training fee and $400 marketing cost!

G
  • ckrelingckreling Member Posts: 23
    You can do much better.

In Late August during a sales event I got an 09 328i coupe which was nicely equipped (premium/nav/heated seats, etc) at 2400 BELOW invoice.

We started straight at invoice. We deducted 2000 lease cash. He gave me another 400 discount for being a nice patient customer.

So just at invoice is not so good for a 2009. Keep grilling them.
  • ckrelingckreling Member Posts: 23
    Forgot to mention in my prior post - the 400 discount I got was really the waiving of the 400 marketing (sometimes called MACO) fee.
    I'm not getting any dealers who will bite at invoice minus holiday cash on 2009 335i sedan. In fact, some dealers are coming back with truly terrible offers of close to full MSRP minus holiday cash. I would note that I'm not bringing any sort of "attitude" or take-it-or-leave-it comments.

Basically looking between Miami and Jacksonville. Many dealers in the region are part of "Fields" corporate chain which doesn't usually have very good prices. Not sure how to get the prices that buyers are getting in other markets. Any recent buyers getting a good price in Florida?
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    I am in the market for 2010 335i coupe. I saw there is a $2500 Holiday cash but in the Forum I see some people mentioned $1500 instead. Could someone clarify? Thanks in advance.
    335 models are eligible for $2,500 rebate if financed/leased.
    G
  • anowlananowlan Member Posts: 48
    There is no manufacturer holdback on BMWs so you will have a hard time finding a true deal that is actually below invoice. That's asking the dealer to take a loss on that car. $500 over invoice, minus the $2500 holiday cash for a total financed cost of $2000 under invoice is a good deal. $300 over invoice is a great deal. I paid $1250 over invoice for an ordered model. You should be able to find a dealer willing to take $500-$700 over invoice for a common model. When all's said and done, the amount of haggling required to get below $500 over invoice hasn't been worth it in my experience. When you find a dealer who treats you with respect, doesn't add in hidden fees, and delivers the car you wanted with no hassles and no unexpected surprises, that's worth a few hundred dollars on a $45k purchase.
  • websalesbmwwebsalesbmw Member Posts: 2
    Nice car...there is indeed $2500 in the form of a Rebate. FYI...the Holiday Sales event ends on January 4.

BMW of Bakersfield
    Internet Sales Department
  • websalesbmwwebsalesbmw Member Posts: 2
    Hi jetm...I couldn't help not passing up on your concerns. They are correct...there are dealer costs associated that would influence the invoice price of a car. ($825 Transit Cost depending on distance) Costco does have a program with BMW that gives customers automatically $500 over invoice on selected cars. I also saw the car you are looking for and I would love to help you out in getting a better deal, but my hands are tied because most dealerships are holding onto them to make maximum profit.
    All,

Thanks for everyone's input on my questions. I in turn wanted to share an update on my situation....

Well I bought a fully loaded 328i covertible on Sunday! Here is the deal I got....

MSRP: $55,225
    Invoice: $50,830
    TMV: $49,167
    My offer: $49,200
    Dealer Response: $49,890
    Price Paid: $49,500 ($1330 under invoice).

I'm sure I could have ground them more but I was okay with $49.5K.

Regards,
    Jammer
    That sounds like a great deal...I think the Coupes are in greater supply so it may be easier to negotiate a better deal on them. Or you may just be a great negotiater. Congrats.

Regards,
    Jammer
    Websalesbmw,

Thanks for the response. But I don't understand your statement. Why would a dealer try to hold on to a 2009 328i when 2010 is days away and the $1,500 rebate is nearly gone? And BMW has already said that their support to dealers for moving 2009 inventory will be limited. If I were a dealer I'd be looking to move the 2009 models before Jan 4...even if it were at cost or just above. I don't know who would want to purchase a 2009 unless they can get a really low price.
  • mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for several people answering my questions about Holiday cash on 2010 335i coupe. The offer I have got so far is pretty good based on what I see in this forum. I was told it's better to order the car with the options I am looking for, though. I never ordered a car before so want to get advice from people about this process. Would I get sales paper work done which shows exactly what I am going to pay including the current incentive and finance offer? I heard some bad stories so don't want to get any surprises when my car is delivered. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Bought a new 2010 328i, paid few hundred above invoice (+ MACO+training) from a Bay Area dealer.

I walked up to the dealer a week ago and exclusively dealt with one sales guy aka client advisor. Sales guy was persistent yet professional which was probably why I bought from this dealer.

Only talked to the sales guy, no manager involved. I could have saved few hundred more but was not worth the time.

The dealership was busy even on a rainy Monday night.

Excellent experience with sales, drop me a note if you need a reference.

G
    I've heard that the opportunity to order 2010's is over, and that if you place an order for a 335i coupe now, it will be a 2011. You might confirm this with the dealer. That source is e90post.com. When you order, you'll get a copy of the order sheet which will spell out the cost of the car. Incentives were listed on my sheet (EcoCredit). When I picked up the car, the numbers on the actual bill of sale matched the order sheet to the penny. You may not be able to lock in finance rates on the 2011, as they may not be published yet. Typically, though, lease residuals are at their peak at the start of a new model year run, i.e. the lease residuals should only go down from taking delivery of a 2011 in early 2010.
  • theoracle1theoracle1 Member Posts: 2
    In the market for 2009-10 328 Convertible. DC area. Was offered '09 exec car with: preferred color combo, Prem, Sport, Cold, NAV, PDC, 8K miles - for $45,000. MSRP $55k, service-in date 02/09. Dealer mentioned $1500 credit promotion thru 1/4.

Is it a good deal? should I negotiate promo credit off invoice. I'll see invoice today though it is in the 45k range-at least based on dealer info. Please advise.

Most likley will finance. Thanks in advance.
  • theoracle1theoracle1 Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to add: TMV retail around $51,000.
    Here are a few things to think about....

This is essentially a used car. Would they honor the $1,500 rebate on a used car? I presume that you are losing 10/11 months of your warranty, correct? Dealers typically will extend the warranty by 3mos. and 5K miles for Demo cars. Maybe you should ask them to extend the warranty period / mileage so that you get the full benifit of it. Also you should see what other CPOs are going for with that mileage so that you can understand what those $8K miles are really worth. Plus you need to consider that with a CPO you'd get 2 additional years warranty and 100K miles warranty (I think). If you purchased the extended warranty I think it would cost you ~$2,500. I purchased a brand new fully loaded 2009 328i for $49.5K. So that is a $4.5K diff from your purchase price.

Maybe this will give you some data points / arguments if you should decide to negotiate further. From my perspective you have nothing to lose...all they can do is say no.

Jammer
  • kandada_boggukandada_boggu Member Posts: 5
    I am in the market for a 2010 BMW 328i with the following configuration:
    -- 2010 328i sedan
    -- Premium package
    -- Steptronic automatic
    -- Navigation system

I am negotiating for a price of $34,625[$500 off invoice the price $35,125 ($36,625 - 1500 holiday rebate)]

At this stage dealer is quoting a price of $35,450. He is adding 580$ to the invoice price. He is claiming that BMW charges the dealer $400 for advertising and $180
    for a training service fee.

Are these fees real and is my offer reasonable?
    The $400 and $180 is usual and customary. Everyone pays those charges.
    You're at $1K over invoice (then the $1500 comes off.) $500 over invoice is a good deal on a BMW. $1000 over invoice is not bad. So I'd say your deal is reasonable. If you can get to $500 over invoice, then subtract $1500, you'd be at $34125. Then the dealer will add the $580 and you'll be at $34705. On New Years Eve, I bet the dealer would take that. Good luck....
  • ejv207ejv207 Member Posts: 15
    Dealer spoke of intercepting a 3 Series that is in the factory bound for another dealer in another state? Is there a reasonable fee I should expect to pay for them to bring the car in?

Ed
    I got him to reduce the price down to 34,900$. I am off to the dealership to buy the car.
    Excellent deal $800 below (invoice+MACO+training)
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Congratulations on the new car! That is an amazing deal for this $40k car. What city are you in and which dealership?
    I bought the car from BMW of Fremont CA. I did the initial round of negotiations via email and final round through phone. By the time I visited the dealership, I had the confirmed price. At the dealership I just had to sign the papers and pickup the car.
    Posts in this forum helped me to form a good starting price for my negotiations. I guess the dealer was eager to meet his numbers for 2009. Cheers and Happy new year!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    They aren't literally intercepting the car en route..

The car is somewhere between the assembly line and the port of entry... So, it comes to their dealership along with their other cars... It's just a bookkeeping maneuver (we take a car that was allocated to them, and they take one of ours), that has no extra cost.

So, no... you shouldn't pay anything extra...

Now, if they physically traded a car with another dealership, and had to pay a flatbed or a driver to transfer it, that would be another matter.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That sounds great! I'd love to hear what your price is out the door after taxes and other fees.
    The invoice price was that low? 35K? The invoice I ended up with for almost the exact same vehicle (minus nav) was 39K! I've seen the other posts. What was your out the door price after taxes, fees, etc.?

Congrats by the way!
    Out of the door cost is $38,870 [ 34,900 + Sales Tax + Registration + Doc Fee(55) + County Fee(~30$) ]
    According to Edmunds the invoice price for the car is $36,625. If you subtract the holiday rebate invoice price should be around $35,125 ( it is round figure as there is a sales tax on the $1500 rebate). I didn't include MACO in my invoice price calculation as this is a end of the year purchase.I started negotiating at $34,625 (500$ off the theoretical invoice price.)
    Some factors that might have influenced my deal:

1) My dealer had the car I wanted in stock. I checked the inventory before approaching the dealer. All my conversations were with the Internet Sales Manager. I asked for 500$ off the invoice price for a specific car in their stock with VIN#. Two dealers gave me quotes for around $37,000. I was able to maintain multiple conversations going at the same time as I conducted most of my communications through email.

2) Year end period might have compelled the manager to make the sale.

3) I requested quotes from dealers around my area from Edmunds. I was inundated with calls/emails from every dealer I chose. I knew exactly what I wanted and I did not want to talk to the dealer until there was some agreement on price. To avoid verbal negotiations during the early phase, I gave my Google Voice phone number(free) in my quote requests. I was able to screen the calls and receive the text transcript of the voice-mails via email. It helped me a great deal as I managed to remain up-todate without spending much time.
  • lowballer7lowballer7 Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone,
    I'm going to special order a 2010 328i sedan w/ following options on Jan 2, 2010... what is the lowest price I can get (I'm in So California). Dealer says they will lock-in the $1,500 holiday cash and 3.9% financing, or give me whatever is better when the car is delivered after about 10 weeks.

- Sport package
    - Premium package
    - Automatic Steptronic Trans
    - Fold-down rear seats (no car exists in Western USA with these other options)
    - Metallic paint
    - paddle shifters (required option with Auto and Sport)

With one dealer, I was able to get the price down to $38,200 plus tax, and not incl holiday cash of $1,500 which goes toward down payment. I'm thinking I can go as low as $37,800, or maybe lower.... Another dealer told me $39,000!!!!! Crazy!

According to Edmund's, the invoice price is $37,600, but I think the true invoice is actually lower. Can anyone please help me? How low can I go on this car?

Thanks!!

By the way, Edmund's TMV on this car is way too high!!
    You can find the invoice price at kbb.com.
    G
  • ffxjackffxjack Member Posts: 47
    I was pretty set on getting an Infiniti G37x although I loved the 335xi when I went on the test drive yesterday. After running the numbers with the salesman, looks like I can't afford it. Thought I would ask here to see if maybe the prices were highly inflated.

Looking at 335xi 4d sedan w/auto, Premium, Nav, ipod, satellite radio,etc with MSRP 50,950 and invoice of 46,915.

Any chance of getting 15kmi/yr lease with no money down for around $600, assuming excellent credit? I can get into the Infiniti for low to mid 500s but the BMW quote was for 800/mon. which was way over budget.