Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Still missing some information. The key is how the $2,000 is applied to. If it is true "Out the Door" cost, let's assume $450 for first month payment, $450 security deposit, $725 acquisition fee, $375 DMV registration and fees. So, basically there is no "cap cost reduction" aka down payment.

Now, a base 328i with only automatic transmission has a MSRP of $35,400. A good price will be $33,200, which is roughly $500 over dealer invoice. With that and using the current residual of 63% and 0.0022 money factor for 3-yr/30k miles lease, the monthly payment would be $424.83 before tax. If you live in a state with 6% sales tax, the $450 tax-included quote of monthly payment is about right.

Again, the above is assuming no cap cost reduction. If the $2,000 is indeed for cap cost reduction (and you have to pay extras to drive off), then the monthly payment should go down to $364.87 before tax. In this case, the $450 quote is a rip-off.
  • yolie912yolie912 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, Thanks for your help and yes, it's a true out the door 2000 flat.
    Do you think I should take the deal or should I negotiate more?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    If you enjoy the grinding process verses the professionals, try to shave a few dollars off the deal. Otherwise take it and make sure they don't try to add any hidden charges at closes. Take your keys and drive off with a smile. :)
    You have got a very decent offer -- $500 over invoice, no markup on MF or bank fee. There is not much room of saving to be had. I would reward that salesperson with the business. Jayrider is right -- take your key and drive off with a smile.
    Another word of caution - make sure that 10,000 miles per year is enough for you. A 12k mi./yr. lease will run about $9 more per month pre-tax. That's 5.4 cents per mile, rather than paying 20 cents per mile if you go over 30,000 miles in 3 years.
  • mohanpmohanp Member Posts: 26
    Dear Doanmguang..
    Would you mind sharing the dealer where u bought this from ?
    Thanks
  • mohanpmohanp Member Posts: 26
    Dear Mr Bimmer1,

Would you mind the Dealer INfo ??

Thanks
  • crazyforcrewcrazyforcrew Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to purchase a 328i in the coming weeks using the BMW Select program. What questions should I ask at the dealership to make sure I get the best possible deal? Here are the few I have right now:

-Purchase price of the car
    -Balloon payment
    -Monthly payment

And also, where is the best place to educate myself so I walk into the dealership with information and not a blank stare on my face? Thanks :)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    What state do you live in? BMW Select is rarely done, except in states that fully tax cars, even on leases..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lowballer7lowballer7 Member Posts: 11
    nyccarguy, thanks! I love the car. It was a factory-owned executive driven car, so it was never registered to anyone. That makes me feel better, and the price cannot be beat for all the features.
    CrazyforCrew,

To educate yourself about price, look at Edmunds' invoice price with the options you want. You can look at KBB.com too. Be wary of Edmunds' TMV price because I know for a fact that this price is way over what you can get from a dealer. You can easily get close to invoice, and not more than $500 over.

Re: Balloon payment, be careful because I think they get you with high interest. To calculate monthly payment, go to bankrate.com and use the auto loan calculator, after you enter down pymt., and interest. Not sure about Select Program.....
    Akju,

Sorry for late reply. Yes, the price out the door after the $2,500 rebate (towards down payment, and added to my down payment), was $39,800, before interest on my payments (60 month loan at 3.9%).

What did you end up getting?
  • jimmymac247jimmymac247 Member Posts: 1
    328xi Coupe
    Auto
    Premium and Cold Weather package
    ipod Adaptor
    MRSP - 45600

$3500 total down
    $526/month

For the same car at a dealership 75 miles away I was quoted
    $3500 total down
    $514/month

The dealership closer to me won't budge anymore, but for service it would be a lot more convenient.
  • metropcsmetropcs Member Posts: 3
    2010 328i Sedan Auto
    Premium + Navi
    $2,300 Down
    $465 + Tax / Month
    3yr/36k Miles Lease

Is this a good deal?
  • cacunetcacunet Member Posts: 25
    I'm looking at buying this demo car. MSRP $44150. With 6.6k miles. Would a $35k offer be good for this car?
    Thanks.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Is it an 09? If so, I would say go lower. Maybe 35k out the door
    It's 2009 328ix Sedan model. What do you mean $35k out the door? You mean including ttl?
  • phil2010phil2010 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I am about to purchase a 328xi (premium with cold weather/value) for $38460 less a $1,000 BMW rebate (Feb. incentive). so out the door $37, 460. Is this a good price?

Thanks!
  • maxbetamaxbeta Member Posts: 12
    So my local BMW dealer says they are trying to clear out their 3 series. They called and said they will do a price of $25,900 on
    2007 328i 4 Door
    Premium pkg
    Sport pkg
    Xenon lights
    Sat radio
    Certified
    19,000 miles

I know they have a $499.00 processing fee for sure.

Seems like a really good price especially for the mileage as well.

I am open for opinions.
    I think this is a good deal. Assuming (based on Edmunds) MSRP: $41,125 Invoice:$37,855 You are getting $400 under invoice.
  • doanmquangdoanmquang Member Posts: 34
    Hi Mohanp,

I bought the car at Athen BMW. It is about 50 miles of Atlanta. I hope that help!
  • antiparaguayantiparaguay Member Posts: 1
    You should ask to Peter Kim !
  • sasha12sasha12 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry. I didn't see this until just now. It was for the sedan. 2010, 328i sedan; premium pkg, sports pkg, heated seats, xenon lights. Roseville BMW. If I had to do it all over again, I would have negotiated down to invoice and then walked away. Give it a few days and go back. It's tough though. I got it for invoice on a day I wasn't even "going to buy".
  • scottsa22scottsa22 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 328iX for $32,000 with the European delivery program. You save 8% and BMW provided leather and ipod adapter for free. We enjoyed our trip and we pick up the car this week at the dealer.

This is an interesting offer from BMW-
    I saw this article today and added my thoughts to the blog discussion that follows the article-
    http://www.autospies.com/news/BMW-Launching-Direct-Strike-On-Current-Audi-Owners- -Is-THIS-Enough-To-Make-Them-Defect-52067/

Abstract- Last week the Spies brought you the latest ad campaign from Audi, which directly targeted BMW's three recent losses in Car and Driver to Audi's S4, A6 and Q5.

But look what we have here. Arriving in a little birdie's mailbox was a recent BMW deal targeting current Audi owners. It is a $1,500 credit that can be combined with any other BMW offer currently going on.

I added to the blog-
    I find this comparison interesting since we just purchased a 2010 BMW 328ix wagon. We pick it up this week. I wonder if I will get the $1500 rebate since I am replacing a 2000 A4 Avant Quattro even though I already paid for the car.
    I probably would have purchased another A4 Avant quattro IF Audi OFFERED A MANUAL TRANSMISSION in 2010. What is Audi thinking by discontinuing manual transmissions in their A4? We loved the A4 avant quattro for 10 years but I need to manually shift my car. Few cars are still offered with a manual transmission (Subaru outback, BMW, Volvo V-50)
    I will be happy with the BMW 328ix.The 6-speed is fun. The panaramc sunroof is great and leather came free. It seems very tight and I am sold on the free 4 year maintenance with BMW. I also purchased the extended 10 year warranty and a 7 year warranty on the drive-flat tires.
    I loved past VW/Audi products but we want a manual transmission ... which are becoming extinct.
  • wordsterwordster Member Posts: 4
    I was at a BMW dealership, and I told the sales guy that I was "just looking" because my current lease isn't up until end of March. He said that the money factor will go up and the residual value will go down for 328i's in March. You think that's true?
  • rlsonlinerlsonline Member Posts: 43
    Typical dealer jargin, but there is a hint of truth to it as well. Wait till you are comfortable. I'm a salesman in the Northern Virginia area, and I'm sick of salesmen giving all of us a bad rep.

I've found that the happiest and returning customers are the ones that buy when they are financially ready! I actually TELL my customers this. It helps build loyalty.

The fact is though, sometimes dealers will have monthly sales. In this case the price of their car will go up next month, but usually, as far as the lease vehicle, the difference is minimal. Usually mileage is the big reducer with that!

Hope this helps!
  • wordsterwordster Member Posts: 4
    That's what I figured. He also told me that the 2011 328i's are coming out, and he'll barely have any cars with even close to my desired configurations by next month. Did BMW really stop shipping 2010 328i's to dealers?
    Yes and no. . .Whereas the dealers ship less 2010s to dealers as the new upgraded 2011's come in, that actually bears better for your pocket book. Once new models are out, the older models typically lessen in value! Where are you located? I could probably point you to a trusted dealership. . .and, I'm unbiased since I doubt you live in Northern Virginia! :)
  • g2369g2369 Member Posts: 60
    2010 BMW 335i coupe.

I know that BMW doesn't post residuals and money factor for 18k mile / 36 month leases but can anyone that works for BMW help me out. I want to negociate a lease and I want to be well informed before I go to the dealer.
    This is almost impossible to do without knowing a lot about the numbers you are working with. . .
    Down Payment? Trade In? Residual Value and a lot of other factors, but here is a rough rough rough rough estimate. . .
    Let's say your 2010 335i coupe is MSRP for 42K
    With a down payment of 5000, 1000 cash back or rebate applied to down payment, Sales tax(at 5%) and processing fees for title and tags and such = 2800. . .
    If the residual amount were 32000 and the money factor at .0025, for 36 months and 18K miles per year with an acquisition fee of 500 and a security deposit of 500, you would be looking at 2 figures.
    Out of pocket and Monthly payments.
    Out of pocket in this EXACT case would be $6000.00
    Monthly payments for the rest financed would be right around $475. . .

Again, these are all very rough figures. Hope this helps!
    Why would anyone put 6k down on a lease. With everything rolled into the lease you are looking at $640 or so. It defeats the purpose. And 18k miles per year? Very unusual.
    I don't know his credit score. . .I was just going with figures that I plugged in. I never assume someone has great credit. And nowadays, at least from my experience, if you have anything but perfect credit, you need a down payment. The financing at 475 a month with a 6000 down payment vs. a 640/month payment works out to roughly the same figure after all is said and done. . .

Its just a starting point. 18K/year is not too unusual in my market because most people travel long distances to work.
    $640 isn't attractive for a 3 series bmw--[m excepted]. The good beemer leases seem to appear and disappear. Sometimes the 5 seems great compared to the 3. Finding the sweet spot on a lease requires timing and flexibility. Hooking up with a trusted sales associate, being flexible, being patient and having great credit would seem to be the way to go. Of course people want what they want and they want it now. ;)
    Now that post, I completely agree with. :)
    Thank you for the figures, however I don't think I asked my question correctly. I am aware on how to calculate the lease, I just don't have the figures in order to do the calculations.

BMW doesn't publish base money factors or residuals (that I'm aware of) for 18k mile leases. I want to know the base money factor and residuals before I go to the dealer and "take there word for it". I was reading that a dealer is allowed to raise the money factor in order to increase there profit so I just want to make sure i'm getting the best deal possible.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.
    I don't plan on putting anything down unless they require it. Also, why do you find 18k miles per year unusual? I don't live close to my office and I like having extra miles. I also want to lease because I find myself buying a new car every 2 - 3 years. It makes sense for me to lease.
    Unfortunately, I'm unable to help with this one.
    I will however share this bit of advice. Keep in mind, I'm a car dealer when I say this, a good rule of thumb is to never accept the first offer. Also, if you tell them that you got a better deal elsewhere, they are most likely going to lower their initial offer. If they don't lower their offer it is because it is already as low as they go. But, be firm. If you have many options of places to go, start to walk out. See if they change their tune then. . .Again, if they don't, its as low as they can go. Also, once you settle on the price and figures, don't leave without taking the car with you. Too many times, unreputable sales people will somehow push the price back up when you come back to pick it up. . .
    happy shopping and good luck!
    Thank you rlsonline.

The problem i'm having is that there is only one car with the options I want. It's hard to negociate when I don't have all the figures. I've dealt with this particular dealer before and I know that they raise the money factor so it's kind of hard to trust the numbers they give me.
    Most are for 10-12-15k per year. You will certainly need brakes and run flat tires [$$$$] -- folks lease to pay only for the use of the car. You will be refurbing the car to the tune of 2-3k for BMW not long before you turn it in. As long as you are ok with that possibility -- go for it. :)
    Thanks risoline -- you need to get on board at the sales from the frontline thread. Your insight would be welcome. Other sales associates are posting there. Join in. :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Your problem also is the amount of driving you do. One leasing rule of thumb is to ALWAYS lease within the parameters of the factory warranty (& in this case BMW's free scheduled maintenance as well) At 18,000 miles per year - you'd probably have to take a shorter lease which would increase your payment - which might defeat the purpose of leasing in the first place.

Example - My Dad just turned in his '07 X5 3.0Si. He drives 20,000 miles per year & took a 30 month/50,000 mile lease. He got a good deal on the car (Invoice + $1K + MACO + Training & Service Fee), but the residual value drops when you buy extra miles up front, even though he got the base money factor. With $0 down (just first months pmt bc he was a returning BMWFS lesee) his lease payment was $960/month.

Have you considered purchasing? Even if you like to change cars every 3 years, BMWs hold their value well & you probably won't be upside down on your car come trade in time.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Welcome to edmunds. Its really cool to have an actual BMW dealer posting. Thanks for your time. Please visit Stories From The Sales Frontlines here - I'm sure you'll enjoy.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kaliforniakkaliforniak Member Posts: 51
    Say did anybody recently purchase a 2009 RWD model? I'm trying to gauge how much a 2010 328i w/Auto and Nav would cost using the same 2009 model for reference. If anything I can use it as a bargaining tool with Infiniti and VW... :blush:
    Thanks for the invite. I shall do that!
  • garfield_kinggarfield_king Member Posts: 2
    with about 3800 miles on it. MSRP $37,450. out of door 28,500.
    The dealer still have another one color black. You may get about $500 less than my price.

Good luck :P
    What region and which dealer?
  • garfield_kinggarfield_king Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    check zip code 93650. Said Andy Refer to there. May get a better deal. The General Manager is very nice guy. :P
    Fresno is too far from me. Thanks for the riddle. :P
  • whatever123whatever123 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I found a 2007 328i with 23K on it for 24K 1.9 APR. I am wondering if this a good buy. Secondly I am concerned about maintenance costs on the vehicle (high/ low etc). I am on the fence with regards to making a decision due to the maintenance costs. Any feedback and or experiences you share will help. Thanks.
    For 1-2k more you can buy a brand new vw gti with free maintenance for 3 years 36k miles. If you buy a 3 -4 year old euro sedan you shouldn't be concerned about costs to keep it running. They are expensive if you do it right. You could buy it and do nothing but oil changes and only fix what needs fixing. If you join the bmw club expect to pay your dues.