Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kanchiskanchis Posts: 33
    If the car salesman were honest from the beginning then there wont be any hustling involved, but its not the case these days. Personally I would bargain for every single penny cos I know its my hard earned money. I hate the fact that some sales people say (specially luxury car salesman) that you are not buying a toyota so dont bargain! This is just BS. I'm sure the same salesman would be using coupons to buy groceries and would hunt down the best deal when it comes to his turn to buy a car. As one of the other members said it, Edmonds.com forums has helped me and thousands of others to be prepared to listen to all you car salesman BS talk and get to the bottom of it. So please stop playing mind games and be honest from the beggining, maybe u'll sell more cars then. If you want to [non-permissible content removed] about a forum like this create your own thread so all you dealers can go there and start bitching. nuff said. :shades:
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,696
    You cannot make the generalization that all car sales professionals are dishonest. They work to make money just like you and I do. Part of their job is to sell additional services/accessories that the buyer may or may not deem necessary. All you have to do is say yes or no. Tire & Wheel insurance? Extended Warranty? If the manufacturer's extended warranty is too expensive, how about a 3rd party warranty? Undercoating?

The information is out there & for the benefit of the buyer.

Do your research. Get an idea of what the car you want is selling for.

Value your trade - get an idea of what your car is selling for on eBay & autotrader. Get trade in offers from 2 different dealers + maybe a carmax.

Be realistic. Don't expect to get dealer retail for your trade & at or below invoice pricing on the new car.

Don't worry about Doc fees. Take all the information you've gathered & make an Out The Door offer including sales tax & DMV fees. The dealer can either accept or decline your offer. Stick to your guns & don't let yourself get bumped up by meeting in the middle.

Most of all, treat this as a business decision. Take the emotion out of it. If you don't feel comfortable with the salesperson or the dealership or the price, just get up & walk away.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• 20carguy20carguy Posts: 8
    Amen car guy. This week I had two customers who totalled cars. One bought gap for 695 the other didn't. Guess which one is picking up their new car on Saturday?

As for offering additional services like tire and wheel protection which some people complain about, think about this.... When going out to dinner after a great meal the waiter comes and asks you, how about desert or coffee? How many people say hey, I just had dinner, don't try and sell me something I don't need... Lol

doesn't happen does it?
  • doanmquangdoanmquang Posts: 34
    Be realistic. Don't expect to get dealer retail for your trade & at or below invoice pricing on the new car.

Of course, we don't expect that but what really is your invoice price anyway. I am sure it is not the one posted on Edmunds or truecar dot com right. How about 2/60 or 3/90 net invoice. If you sell your a cars on the lot faster than you can have 2 or 3% discount of your realll..invoice. Dealers some cost but you pass my of the cost to the buyers....Dest fee. and doc fee....

I have seen where salesman prevent his/her customers talk to me.....afraid they will walk out the dealers....LOL....

If selling car business is straight forward as it can be....then pretty much we don't have a lot of people shared their fantasy experience with others....don't you agree.

Very fortunate for me, I was not born in this country where I grew up.....we bargain at everything....from grocery to coffee shop and girls.....LOL....
    What state are you located in? Here in NY, gap insurance is mandatory & included in every vehicle lease/loan. I just bought a house in CT & I think gap insurance is extra there.

When I bought my wife's 2010 TSX last August, I was offered the extended warranty numerous times to the point that it really annoyed me.

When we leased her '07 X3 that is due back @ the end of the month, they offered the tire & wheel insurance for I think $850. I declined. About 2 months ago, my wife swerved to avoid some debris in the road & smacked into a center curb. She cracked a rim & shredded 2 tires. I had the truck towed to the dealer where they told me that not only were the 2 tires bad, but the other 2 were shot & needed to be replaced. So I had to pay the money either way.

• jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    Here in NY, gap insurance is mandatory & included in every vehicle lease/loan.

I live in NY, & I believe that the state requires gap insurance only for leases - not for loans. (We've paid cash for our last 3 or 4 cars, so I'm not 100% sure of this. But a quick Google search seems to confirm my belief.)
    I'm in Ct. In NY, as in Ct, gap is automatically in leases. The leasing company or the manufacturer always protects themselves with gap in the case of a total loss. In a purchase in Ny, they have to sell gap for cost. In many other states the dealer can make a profit on it but there is usually a ceiling on what the dealership can charge.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Posts: 250
    I don't know if they do it across all states but it was in NJ. I do think it's mentioned on BMW's website.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Posts: 250
    Would that have covered the damage when the car hit the curb? I know that they don't cover curb rash.

Your wife would have to take picture of the center debris and it might still not be covered since you didn't run over the road hazard. What about if your wife swerved a deer laying on the road and hit the center curb, would that be covered?
    Not sure, but like I said, either way I spent the money. Not like the tire insurance was $300 & I didn't go for it. I ended up buying 4 new tires & 1 wheel from the dealership with less than 3000 miles to go on my lease.

I'm financing my Acura through Chase & the loan includes gap insurance. My Dad is financing his Tahoe through gmac & they include gap insurance in ny.

Car20guy - where in CT are you?

• hondahenryhondahenry Posts: 35
    Hi, can somebody tell me how SC delivery works? I'm considering a 3 series and have no idea how it works. Some questions:

1. Do I have to order with a dealer or online? What are the steps of ordering?
    2. If order with a dealer, can I still negotiate with the dealer for any incentives or have to pay MSRP?
    3. Any prior experiences?

Thanks a lot folks.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Hi, can somebody tell me how SC delivery works? I'm considering a 3 series and have no idea how it works. Some questions:

1. Do I have to order with a dealer or online? What are the steps of ordering?
    2. If order with a dealer, can I still negotiate with the dealer for any incentives or have to pay MSRP?
    3. Any prior experiences?

Good for you. Taking delivery at the Performance Center is a great experience. I've done it twice.

To answer your questions...

1. You simply tell the dealer when you place your order that you wish to pick up the car at the Performance center. There are no additional charges, and BMW will put up up at the nearby Marriot the night before. And feed you. And take you via bus to the PC the next morning. All you do is pay for your transportation to SC.

2. There is absolutely no difference in the way you negotiate the price for your vehicle, whether you take delivery at the dealer or the Performance Center. NONE!

3. Its a fantastic experience, and you get the opportunity to drive the crap out of some BMW's in a way that you would never treat your own car (at least, I wouldn't!).

Go to BMW's web-site. There are many details on the PC delivery...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Experience/Events/PDS/ProgramsandCourses/- DeliveryProgram.aspx
  • hondahenryhondahenry Posts: 35
    Thanks a lot, busiris. very helpful. Just two more questions:

1. I thought negotiation was normally for cars in the lot. Should I negotiate with internet manager or just walk in?
    2. How long does the delivery take, from placing the order? A few days to weeks?
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited July 2010
    1. I thought negotiation was normally for cars in the lot. Should I negotiate with internet manager or just walk in?
    2. How long does the delivery take, from placing the order? A few days to weeks?

1. When purchasing a car, EVERYTHING is negotiable, whether its a lot sale or special order. Just don't expect a BMW dealer to give you the same deal you see advertised at a Hyundai or Chevrolet dealer. Also, check the BMW site for special deals. Believe it or not, they often offer a better deal if you finance instead of pay cash. It just depends on when you buy and what's being offered at the time. As for the method, why not try both over the internet and in person? I see no downside to going that route.

2. Delivery depends on the model you select. If you're buying a model produced in SC (X series), I would roughly estimate anywhere from 3-6 weeks. A lot of that timing depends upon what the dealer has "queued" up in the production cycle, and what he has available to modify for your order. If its a model being imported (say, a 3-series), expect a time frame from 6-8 weeks. Usually, it doesn't take long for the build, but you can expect to spend as much time in transport as in every other phase combined.

The good thing is that once you buy, your dealer will give you (he should, anyway) the build order # within 24 hours, and you can track you car's progress from order placement to delivery on the BMW web-site, on a daily (or hourly, if you want to) basis.

One last note: Spend some time on the BMW web-site, and get very familiar with your choices. Know them inside and out before placing your order or making your purchase. Also, when you "ink" the deal, you will be offered several "options"...wheel/tire insurance, extended warratny/service agreements, interior protection, etc. All of these options "ain't cheap". Give some thought to these extras before you decide. They can easily add $10K to the "out the door" price. You have to decide which to purchase, and which are worth purchasing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Enjoy your ride.
  • hopsing1hopsing1 Posts: 4
    So did I get a good deal or not? LOL! Anyway, I actually do have empathy for those in this profession (at least on this purchase!) and I even sent my salesperson a Thank You card! I found most of the salesman that I dealt with (specifically in the midwwest - they had the most inventory and the best prices!) were more than patient with me and it was greatly appreciated.
  • Ok...this is harder than I thought.
    I've leased all of my cars going back 15 years now, but I've never had such a hard time getting honest numbers from a dealer. I've been quoted 3 different residuals and 3 different money factors on the same car with the same terms. I'm hoping someone can give me the real numbers.
    I'm looking at a 2011 335d for 36 months, 10k miles. Sounds simple enough, right?

The best deal I've been quoted (after a good amount of back and forth) is:
    2k total drive-off fees
    691, including tax (9.75% in los angeles)
    This is on a car w/ m-sport pkg, premium pkg, ipod, smartphone, heated seats, satellite radio. MSRP: 55225, neg. price: 48455 (this includes the 4500 eco-credit).

How close to reasonable is this?
  • dustycoopdustycoop Posts: 5
    Hi, I am looking at leasing a 335 sedan with the following. I live in central Texas. We have an owner's choice option as well.

335 sedan
    Jet Black
    Black leather interior
    Sport Package
    Automatic; Steptronic with paddle shifters
    Fold down rear seat

MSRP is $ 46,950
    Selling Price offered is $ 45,150
    15K miles per year
    36 month lease
    58% residual
    Lease factor of .00210
    $ 2000 down

Lease for 36 mos and 15K miles per year is $ 727.92 and $ 703.06 for 12K miles
    Owner's Choice for 36 mos at 15K mile/year is $ 683.27 or $ 658 for 12K miles

This is the first offer from the salesperson.

What should we be expecting and is this is a good deal or not?

Thanks so much for your advice!
  • any numbers on the 335 is model?
    Put the specs of the deal aside. Can you afford the monthly, do you really like this car, is what you want? If so, according to the numbers, it's not a bad deal , might be a smidge better
  • Hello,

Given you guys are all experts, I was hoping you could give me your opinion on these quotes for a new lease I am looking at. The specs of the car are below as well as the final lease prices I was able to negotiate. Thank you so much!

Alpine White / Saddle Brown Dakota Leather / Dark Burl Walnut

2011 328i Coupe
    Base Price U.S.A. $36,200
    205 STEPTRONIC automatic transmission $1,375
    494 Heated front seats $500
    639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth $750
    688 Harman Kardon $875
    6FL iPod Value Package
    6NF Smartphone Integration $150
    302 Anti-theft alarm $400
    322 Comfort Access $500
    459 Power front seats Value Package
    508 Park Distance Control $750
    LC Leather Dakota $1,450
    ZMP M Sport Package $3,000
    7XA Sport steering wheel w/paddles $100
    Destination & Handling $875

MSRP $46,925

Lease Prices:
    36 months, 10,000 miles, $2,035.52 drive-off, $0 cap reduction, monthly payment of $560.36+tax=$615.00