Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dew9dew9 Member Posts: 3
    Are you talking about the "Extended CPO Warranty" or the "Maintenance Warranty". One of the dealers (unfortunately one of the two with the lowest prices) is playing Three Card Monte with the terms. As I understand there are 2 types of "warranty". The Extended Warranty (major parts, electronics, etc.) and the Maintenance Program" (brakes, fluids, oil changes, etc). With respect to each:

1. I've been told that I can only get the BMW Extended Warranty if certify my car which will cost an unknown figure. Until ten minutes ago, this was not the case. Now it is the case at at least 1 of the 2 dealers.

2. Also until ten minutes ago, I could get the Maintenance Program if I finance my purchase at a high rate 6-7% and then pay out the lump sum remaining after Three Months to BMW Finance. Dealer #2 said that this is impossible because BMW Finance prohibits that a lease owner from buying out his car and getting into the finance program wherein maintenance provided at no additional cost. I called BMW Finance and they denied this. I suspect it might be a dealership by dealership decision.

Anywhat, I thought I had a pretty good deal - about 24.5 for the car + extended warranty, and then the maintenance for 3 months of financing.

Should I forgo all of the extra coverage and just buy my car straight from BMW Finance and tell the dealers to pound sand? Or should I man up and get some added protections, and if so, which ones?

Thanks in advance.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I wouldn't pay for either coverage. From 50,000-100,000 miles I spent $2,585 on maintenance as well as a four wheel brake job for my X3. Nearly $600 of that amount was for maintenance that BMW does not call for(ATF and transfer case oil changes and twice as frequent engine oil changes).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    If you are the original lessee or owner, you can buy the extended warranty and maintenance at any point before the original plans expire (which is at 4yr/50K).

Also, you can buy them from any BMW dealer in the US.. and, with a little research, you can find dealers that discount those prices. For example, the extended maintenance on an E90 3-series has a list prices of $2095 and a dealer cost of $1595. Many dealers will knock $200 off without blinking, and others might go as low as $1750.

However, if you don't drive a lot (and I've lost the thread on how many miles you drive), then these plans are of less value to you, though the cost is the same. They work well for those who have driven 45K-50K miles on their three year lease, and expect to do the same for the next three years.. For those that drive less, I concur with the others... not worth it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    edited March 2011
    Looking for thoughts on a CPO'd 2008 328i with premium/satellite radio/heated seats and moonroof.
    25k miles

dealer listing as 27,350 Warranty remaining until 3/14

Think there is room to move on this? I have some questions into the dealer on pricing but want to see where a fair price would be

Thanks!
  • dew9dew9 Member Posts: 3
    Quick update, I bought the car for the residual and passed on the extended warranty and maintenance. If I subsequently determine to by the extended warranty and/or maintenance, I'll do so next year when the current ones are set to expire. Thanks for the help!

Best,

dw9
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Good for you! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!!!

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• howardl1310howardl1310 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Car man,

What is the MF & residual for 335i Coup and 335i Convertible for 12K a year? Thank you very much.
    Ok, can someone help me out here. Found my car, trying to get some clarity on the financing deals to decide if i want to finance or pay cash in full.

Current CPO offers for financing until 2 Mar are, 0.9%, 1500 towards payments, or 6/100K free maintenance

For the financing offer, the salesman is under the impression that the 0.9% if for a 24-month finance deal. is this accurate? If so, its there a higher rate for a 36-month term?

I know if you take the 1500 towards your payments, its at normal BMW finance rates. What would that be for someone with a 800 credit score?

Many thanks
    AC
  • bond007jbbond007jb Member Posts: 38
    Yes the .9% financing is for 24 months.

When I was looking to get my 3er, I was planning to get the $1500 credit towards the payments with the standard rate (considerably higher than the market rate) and then re-finance after 4 months (min. required to get the 1500 credit). I would have been interested at the .9% financing if it was for a longer term. Free maintenance saves some money but you can still buy it from the dealer (some dealers are willing to discount it, maybe you can negotiate it as part of the car purchase at dealer cost)
    well here's the way they finally broke it down

0.9 for 24 months
    2.9 for 36 or higher

or 4.69 for 36 (or higher) with $500 credit for each of the first 3 months (1500) total. No pre-payment penalty.

Even with the variance in interest rate, i still save more taking the credit than otherwise especially if I just pay it off in full in 6-8 months.

But i have my deposit down on my 328xi, now have to try and do paperwork from halfway across the country.
  • roopskroopsk Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I have question for the people out here. I am in market and searching for 2008 BMW 335xi CPO. I got a quote for 2008 BMW 335xi black on black which is having 23,752 miles on it and dealer is not willing to reduce the price. Infact they raised the price by almost 3k when I see the listing on internet but is willing to sell for 32k. This one is equipped with premium and cold packages, Ipod/Usb adapter and navigation. Can someone please let me know whether this a good price to go for 335xi or not?

Many thanks,
    RoopSk
  • lamusiclamusic Member Posts: 28
    I am purchasing a 2008 CPO and deciding whether to take the $1500 credit or the maintenance package.

Does anyone know - roughly - the cost of the maintenance to the dealer? I would ideally like to take the credit and purchase the maintenance plan.
  • lamusiclamusic Member Posts: 28
    I have an offer for a CPO 2008 328 Convertible
    24k miles
    premium package, sports package, heated seats, parking sensors
    list price $34.6k
    offer $32.7

What do we think? I think it is still too high - comparable cars seem to be selling for ~$31k.

I also have a dealer offering the same car, same options plus nav (but with 35k miles) for the same price. Which is a better deal?
  • jpdeg99jpdeg99 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a CPO 2010 328i w/ premium package. 14,400 miles, monaco blue with oyster/black interior. Original warranty and maintenance through 3/31/2014, plus cpo warranty till 3/31/2016.

Total sale price= $28,358.00, down from the original sticker of 30,990 and opening offer of 500 off.

I'm pretty happy with it.
    Just picked up my CPO 2008 328xi from a dealership in CT on Monday and drove it back to the St Louis area.

2008 328xi, graphite with gray interior. premium package, cold weather package, ipod adapter,
    Mileage 25910. CPO until Feb 14.

Cost: 25,990 plus dealer fees and registration.

After driving it 1000+ miles in 20 hrs, i can say....what a nice smooth driving vehicle this is. Averaged 29-30 mpg the whole way home on the highway.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    congrats! what dealer in CT? What made you come all the way to CT for a CPO BMW?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

BMW of bridgeport. They had the exact color, model and options my wife wanted
    And my dad lives nearby so he could inspect the
    car and make sure it was worth flying out for. No dealers anywhere near St Louis had what we wanted.

Ironically my dad goes to BMW of Greenwich
  • jeffzxjeffzx Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Are you sure you didn't mean 2008? No way you even come close to that price for a 2010, at least in California. That price would be GREAT even for a 2008! Blue Book on those specs for a 2008 is around $30,000. (Actually more that $30,000 given the low mileage; the $30,000 figure is for a 2008 with about 30,000 miles.)
  • jluo25jluo25 Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    Just bought a 2011 328i, deep sea blue exterior/Oyster and Black interior, Dakota leather(value package), auto transmission. MSRP 36025 and I just bought it for 32775 with 1.9% financing. I think it's a good price. If you guys want to buy similar car with similar price, send me a message and I'll let you know the dealer name and the Internet sales manager. I don't think I am allowed to post dealer and sales person's name here. I live in Southern California.
    So there are no decent BMW dealers in St. Louis? Interesting to know that there are 2 dealers in my back yard that people are willing to travel 1000 miles to buy a CPO BMW.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

You can name the dealership here.... Just no contact information..

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Your local dealership can't just order up a used car from the used car factory.... sometimes, the one you want isn't local..

Not that I recommend going out of town.. sometimes, it just turns out that way... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The St Louis dealers didn't have anything like we were looking for. My dad lives in connecticut so it was just fortuitous that my dad lived close enough to the dealer to inspect and drive the car before I flew anywhere

Notthe most ideal situation, but I did get to drive it a thousand miles which was awesome
    Ahhh.... a local connection.. that makes all the difference..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Now it all makes sense!

• yenalyenal Member Posts: 10
    Hello,

The 335i Sedan I've configured has an MSRP of $49,925. They offer to sell it to me from $45,991. I guess this includes the option credit from BMW because when I mentioned that they told me this is the best price I'll get from them. They also told me this price is valid both for finance and leasing. The financing is 2.9% for 60 months, and leasing is as follows: MF 0.0024 and the residual is 64%. With no down, the initial payment is $1420 and its $660 including the tax for 36 months 10k miles a year. By the way I am from Northern CA and this car is to be ordered. What do you guys think? Is this deal any good?
  • sanvij2003sanvij2003 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have information about 3 series 2012 release going to be? Is it 328 with slight modification or a new design. I was told BMW usually every 4/5 years they change the design.

Please let me know

Best.
  • waterbabay2011waterbabay2011 Member Posts: 3
    hi, i am in So. cal and i am looking for 2011 328i with similar package you have. could you please post the dealership information? thanks!
    Sure. The dealership is Savage BMW in Ontario.
    woo, that's pretty good price! and i am living pretty close to it. does this price included sales tax and handling fee of $875?
    It does include destination charge of $875 but does not include sales tax because tax rates are different depend on where you live.
    thanks for the infor, i talked to the dealer there, but seems like they did not give the offer as yours. i am not sure if i can send your the message in private to ask for dealer's information.
    I can send you the Internet sales manager information. I don't know how it works on this board. Can you make your email public so that I can send it to you? I think you should get similar price, if not the same. How did you talk to the dealer? Just called them?
  • stankalstankal Member Posts: 5
    How much off the invoice or MSRP should I expect to get for a dealer service vehicle that was in use for 9 months and has around 8k miles? The car is also being sold as new since it wasn't titled.
    Are they CPO'ing it?

If not, I wouldnt expect more than 1-2K at most discounted.
  • bmwnow22bmwnow22 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Hey everybody. I am looking at leasing for the first time. Here are the numbers I was given by the dealer, I would appreciate feedback on if this is a good deal or not.

MSRP: 44,440
    Adjusted Cap Cost: 42,193
    Money Factor: 0.00200
    Residual: 71

27 Month Lease

Total Monthly Payments (with salestax) 579
    Total Due At Signing 1,262.99 (including first month's payment)

I appreciate any feedback.
  • asninlaasninla Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know what a good purchase price on a decent loaded 335 conv with manual transmission. I want to buy/lease next week. Seems no one in the NY area has manual transmissions. I know they are out there.

Dont need Navigation as my Andriods have them for free, but I am not familiar with the BMW packages.

Basically, what sought of discount am I looking at off MSRP?
  • gryangryan Member Posts: 35
    Not sure about Manual but i am looking at an automatic and am getting 7-8 percent off msrp. i am still looking for a bit better
  • gryangryan Member Posts: 35
    I would try to get the car at 41,500, that should lower your payment to around $550
  • asninlaasninla Member Posts: 9
    Thank you bmwnow22 for your advice, how many months would that be for? is that 24 or 36?
  • black2005e320black2005e320 Member Posts: 2
    That is the most I've ever paid. Only 1 was on the lot, the others were special ordered with minimal options.
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2011
    2011 BMW 328 i xDrive Sedan (Pre-Owned), Priced at $33,900 and has only 5000 Miles , Cold Weather Package , what do you guys think of this deal, I got appt tomorrow morning to test drive, your advice please :)
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    edited May 2011
    I just purchased 2008 328i CPO. The BMW dealer did not provide me any document that shows the car is CPO. My sales person explained to me that there are no documents because the certification is attached to the cars’ VIN number so it’s not needed. Anytime a BMW dealership pulls up VIN # on the car it will show that it is Certified. Those of you who have purchased CPOs, please let me know if there is a certification document that comes with the CPO purchase. Thank you.
    There should have been a CPO checklist. The service tech/inspector checks off each item, as he inspects and/or replaces/repairs it...

As far as the certification, that can indeed be checked by asking your service advisor.. They'll pull up the VIN, and all of that info should be there... There is a screen that your salesperson could print out for you, though they technically aren't supposed to, any more... They could at least show it to you..

I don't recall any specific document (other than the checklist) that shows the CPO... (and, I've got two of them.. )

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for your reply.
    He did show it to me on the screen. As you said, it was not meant to be given to customers. Not that I don't trust him, it's just that you never know what might happen next 3 years. Anyway, I just got a free carfax report on the car and it already shows the vehicle sold as BMW CPO vehicle.
    Good deal!

It's not something a BMW dealer would likely mess around with, but it never hurts to be sure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Today I got my 2008 528i CPO and had the same excat situation. He told me to call BMW since i got it from Benz dealer and they were close until monday, i will call first thing in morning.

Please make sure to call them and change the VIN # profile to your name as new owner, this was his only advice. it costs like $50 since I got it from outsider dealer.
    edited May 2011
    I just did the following: called Custom Relationship 800-578-5000, option 2 , then spoke to Custom relationship agent, all I had to do was to provide the VIN number and he found confirmed it is a CPO and added my contacts information.
    A very simple process, you should do it for peace of mind.
    Thanks, I'll try.
    I took the free 6yr/100K maintenance upgrade for the CPO special with BMW financing (5.5%, 60 months). The financing person stated that I needed to wait 4 months to refinance the loan due to the special. Can anyone confirm this?

FYI: I purchased 2008 328i CPO w/18.6K miles with auto, sport, premium, heated front seats, park distance control, xenon headlights, moonroof. Paid $28.5K + doc fee ($599!!!) + tax/tag/title.