Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sirius9sirius9 Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    Looking at a 2009 328xi automatic black/black sedan with 36k miles for ~$25k (not including tax). Clean carfax, 1 owner, had maintenance at 20k miles and 35k miles. Hesitant cuz of the mileage - thoughts? Anything I should look for specifically when I check it out? TIA.

p.s. - Carfax shows floor mats were installed twice at the beginning of the life of the car for some reason. Non-CPO cuz it's at a VW dealer (was previously leased from BMW, then a trade-in to VW). Brakes and tires are original.
  • sirius9sirius9 Member Posts: 13
    Forgot to mention, the car has a cold weather package and some components of the premium, and xenon.
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    Just got 2008 528i CPO with 31K on it, the car got extend warranty until 2013 and now being offered Extended maintenance program until 2013 ( 2 years ) for $1950 ( discounted from $2300), the program will cover everything except the Entrainment system and NAV. The Dealer Service Person recommended as none of the brakes were replaced and he told me a it would cost$1800 beside all Oils, belts and normal services , etc.. , I am planning to drive a 25K a year on this car, any advice if his numbers are correct?
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    Sounds high. I'm guessing it doesn't cover oil changes or regulalry scheduled services.

Ok let's say that you need one set of brake pads for four tires. Find out ho much that would be with parts and labor by calling the Service dept. I would also check what the regularly scheduled service intervals say for replacement if certain parts. Otherwise you are laying 2K fir the security of knowing most things would be covered if hey break.
  • rodolitzrodolitz Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I appreciate any help. Looking to get this car as soon as possible, based on some help on the below.

I am looking to lease a new 335i convertible. Estimated msrp of $62,000. What are the numbers like? I am looking for automatic, 34 months, 10,000 miles yearly. Looking to know best lease prices. What is the residual value on the car and what is the money factor? And what is a good deal for this car based on the msrp. I don't know how far to push the dealer. Can it go lower than invoice price? Is it 8% off msrp, 10%, 12 %? Thanks again
  • amrhalemamrhalem Member Posts: 12
    it does cover oil changes or regulalry scheduled services which is per the service dept $180 per time, the break around $1800.
    it covers all parts and labor but the NAV and CD player.

so he basicslly was saying i would break even after doing both(brakes + 1 service )
    is it true the brakes cost that much?
  • ms3536ms3536 Member Posts: 1
    3.0-liter, inline 6-cylinder engine
    xDrive, intelligent all-wheel-drive

Alpine White
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    Beige Dakota Leather
    Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    Convenience Package
    Premium Package
    Value Package
    STEPTRONIC automatic transmission
    Active Cruise Control
    Heated Steering Wheel
    Navigation system
    Harman Kardon surround sound system
    Automatic high beams
    BMW Illuminated Door Sills

Total MSRP as Built $49,136

I am looking at the price point of $44k. Is that a reasonable price or should I bargain more?
    I am in Portland, OR
  • gryangryan Member Posts: 35
    That would be a great price, I believe it is below dealer cost, let me know if you get that deal. I would think 44,700-45,000
  • winjocewinjoce Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    2010 335 iX with navigation package, permium package and cold weather package. It has 17000 miles already. OTD price is $39300
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    so he basicslly was saying i would break even after doing both(brakes + 1 service )
    is it true the brakes cost that much?

Wow, my dealer(Swope BMW, Louisville KY) charges less than $110 for an Oil Service on my wife's X3, and a four wheel brake job was less than $1000.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• rakaraka Member Posts: 1
    can somebody comment on this offer

2010 328xi- 18k miles on it
    premium package
    xenon lights
    heating steering wheel and steptroncic

dealer is asking 34K OTD . is it good price????
  • sg208sg208 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    Just got this car over the weekend 5 hours away from home in Utah. I live in Idaho, been shopping for about a month all over the northwest for our first entry level luxury and stumbled upon a white 2007 328xi with 45k miles with a bit warranty left on it on Cars.com. Pretty much stock 328xi from lease return with premium package, ipod+usb and that's about it. I think I made a great deal. About $23K out the door at BMW of Murray since I didn't have to pay tax because i'll be bringing the car back to Idaho, about $1.5K on tax so roughly around $24.5K for everything. I saved about $3k if I were to buy it in Idaho, Boise to be exact. Spent about $150 for one way airline ticket and $60 gas to fill up the tank from Utah to home is still a great savings for us. We were happy with the purchase, and wife happy. Coming from 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with 140k miles to this sweet used bimmer is something I'm grateful of. It's just WOW, BMW rocks ... and so does BMW of Murray with smooth buying experience.

What do you think guys?
  • sg208sg208 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    If you like the car then YES, it's a great deal. I live in Idaho and about $34.9K before everything added (tax, doc fee, etc.) in here for something like that. As long as the carfax checks in, no accident or anything, not California car and YOU'D LOOK COOL IN IT, heck yeah it's a great deal! It's just California people dont take care their car and they drive like maniacs. If you can avoid that at all.
  • fkongfkong Member Posts: 11
    I am looking into leasing a 328i sedan. Anyone here leased one recently? What were the terms/mileage restrictions? I'm looking into one with the following specs:

328i Sedan
    Metallic paint
    M Sport Package
    Premium Package
    Value Package
    Convenience Package
    Steptronic
    Navigation

I am in So Cal. Pasadena area, to be more specific.

Thanks! :D
  • bartnj07bartnj07 Member Posts: 3
    I leased a 2011 BMW 328i xdrive coupe, Alpine with saddle brown leather inside, steptronic no navigation. My annual mileage limit is 12k miles. My monthly payments inc tax are $585, I live in NJ. I put down $5000 but I traded in 2007 VW Jetta with 61k miles on it, on which I still owed over $12000. So my entire down payment was applied towards the "negative equity" on the Jetta.
  • carpedrewumcarpedrewum Member Posts: 17
    Was looking to buy a new BMW 3 series, hopefully the 335i if things go my way.

Now every car in the world has its problems, apart from randomly hitting trees.
    Just wanted to know from an honest non bias point of view, what problems can I expect with the new BMW 3 Series?
  • aku_05aku_05 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking at 2008 335i as well with 28500 miles on it. Can you tell me what options does your car have?

The one I am looking at has everything except Nav.

Dealer is asking for 32K
    Thanks
    edited July 2011
    I am looking at CPO 2008 335i with following --

BMW CERTIFIED 335I SPORT PACKAGE
    PREMIUM PACKAGE
    LOGIC 7 WITH SOUND
    BMW CERTIFIED CAR WITH A 6YR 100K WARRANTY
    1 OWNER CARFAX ACCIDENT FREE

Asking price $31 + TAX

Need to act on this FAST. Does this sound like a GOOD Deal?

Thanks In Advance.
    Aakif
    I have been shopping for a 328i X drive for last few months.

This is what I was offered for 2011 (4500 miles on it) - loaded except Nav

MSRP: 37,786
    Month Factor : 0.00185
    36 months lease
    Residual: 63%

Monthly : 539 with Tax.

Hope this helps
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,347
    Go to BMWNA's website and search for similar CPO cars. That will give you a good idea of what other dealers are asking.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• anj212anj212 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased a 328i with convenience, premium, sport, value and navigation. The MSRP was $45,275 and I paid $40,520 before TTL. I had a good and quick experience purchasing from Peter Pan BMW in northern California.
    Looking at a 2008 328i with 36757 miles on it.

The CarFAX shows Airbag deployed, No structural damage, Under Warranty until 50k or 2013 (whichever comes first).

Premium pacakge
    heated seats
    etc.

Asking 20k + Tax.

Should I GO FOR IT?

Thanks
  • driversedgedriversedge Member Posts: 36
    carpedrewum,

For a while, the 335i had problems with high pressure fuel pump failures. Essentially, that would lead to problems with the car starting, and if the pump failed while driving, the vehicle would lose power and be forced to operate at lower speeds. However, to my knowledge, BMW has since corrected this problem. Other than that, I'm not aware of any severe problems with the vehicle.
    driversedge,

Thanks, that really helped a lot.
  • fooglefoogle Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I need to buy a demo 2011 335 xi with Nav quickly. I was given initial quotes of $45k+TTL or lease of $700 a month (36K, 36months, no down and monthly includes 6% tax) for the following options from two separate dealers. Does anyone think is it possible to get it down to $40k or $600 a month lease? Thanks a bunch!

2011 335 xi demo
    3000 miles
    auto, with premium pkg, cold weather pkg, navigation.
    warranty expires in Dec. 2013
    MSRP is $52k
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    You'd have to look up the car's invoice and tell how much of a deal you are getting.

They are already offering to sell you the car at $7,000 off MSRP, which is pretty good for a $52,000 BMW. To ask for a full $15,000 off sticker discount might be a little on the greedy side. As for leasing, they might be trying to make money off you by marking up the lease rate. What is the lease rate (money factor) & residual they are quoting you on the car?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• fooglefoogle Member Posts: 9
    nyccarguy, thanks for your help. I never lease a car before, so not that familiar with the lease rate and residual. But on the spreadsheet that he gave us contains the lease and financing option for all models, it says this models is 0.00185 lease rate and 60% residual value. Also, this is a demo that has been on the road for 8 months with 3k miles on it, would it still justify to be about $10k under MSRP (including the current $1850 incentive)? Thanks again and appreciated your help.
  • y958y958 Member Posts: 1
    328, xdrive, premium, convenience, value (everything but nav), MSRP new was $43.4.

This one was used by dealer as a loaner, 18k miles.

Paid $31.9 with new car financing rates on the loan.

Good deal?
  • stone3stone3 Member Posts: 9
    Hello,
    Does any of you know when BMW will start a rebate for 2011 328i convertible?
    And do you know how much the rebate will be?
    I am thinking of making a deal on 7/31 or Thanksgiving holiday period.
    I visited three dealers today and all of them gave me almost the same discount ~3.3K off from MSRP, which I think should be more for 2011 model. I was expecting at least 5K off from MSRP.
    Probably I should wait till Nov or Dec to get 5K off???
    Thank you in advance.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    No incentives that I'm aware of on 3 convertibles. Don't know if that will change in November or not. You can wait around and see, though. The risk there would be if a dealership will carry convertibles in November.

$3.3K off on one right now seems about right (depending on options).
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    You might get $4000 off but i would doubt you could get $5000, i tried a lot of dealers and was not able to get 5000 off, What state are you in?
    I know that BMW corporate was offering a $1,000 incentive if you participated in your dealer's "Drive for the Olympics" event (test driving and doing a comparison between BMWs vs their competition). I took advantage of that when I bought my coupe. But, I think those events are finished.

They were also offering $1,840 off xDrive coupes and sedans (which I also took advantage of). But, I think that incentive expired on 6/30. Not sure if they extended it, or not.
    Are you in the northeast
  • bmwleaserbmwleaser Member Posts: 17
    Hi car_man and kyfdx,
    I plan on closing out this transaction by end of this week, so any advice would be greatly appreciated !
    My 2008 328i (no added features except ipod adapter + titanium silver color) end of lease buy out price is set at 21122 $.
    Here are the other stats :
    MSRP - 31749 $
    Res - 21122 $ ( 66% residual value)
    My monthly lease payments (including tax) was 400$ even (quite a good offer around the 2008 time frame, don't you think ?)

Here are some lingering questions before I close out this deal :
    a) I have tried calling/haggling with multiple dealers and BMW-FS and it's now clear that no one will reduce the Residual value of 21122$, so if I choose to buy out the vehicle it will be at that price + tax + title/Reg etc .... Is this surprising to you ? More importantly is 21122$ a reasonable figure for a 328i (with the above extra features) with 24K miles.

b) Doesn't 66% residual seem a bit on the higher side ? This was obviously done to lower my monthly lease payments, in which case do I have any chance to bargain for a lower residual ?

c) I am not interested in CPO or extended maint since this is not going to be my primary car and I anticipate only around 50K miles in the next 3 years which is when the extended warranty/maint will expire. Besides after doing some calculations , it looks like for my mileage, spending out of pocket for the maint will be cheaper than buying the pre-paid extended maint ( offered to me at around 2500$) . Is this true ?

Sorry about so many questions, but any insight into this will be greatly appreciated!

Waiting to hear from you

-Vivek
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,748
    a) I don't know if it is reasonable... Check comparable cars on the lots and see what they are asking.. Used cars are expensive, right now.

b) 66% residual was high.... that's what made your payments so low, as you noted. That makes for a good lease deal, but not such a good buy at the end of the lease.

c) Yes... the extended warranty/maintenance wouldn't be a good deal, if you are only going to put 15K-20K on the car over the next three years.. you are covered for the first year, already.. $21K is pretty expensive for a second car that won't be driven much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

thanks for your inputs.
    I've shopped around for 2008 328i with mileage/features like mine and find that 21K is as low as it can get ... as you noted used cars are at a all time high right now ... bad time to buy one :(

what is typical residual val for 328i ? 64 % ?

thanks
    I'm in OHIO. But, the Drive for the Olympics program (and subsequent incentive) was a nationwide promotion. I don't know how long it ran. I know in my neck of the woods it ran about a month ago and lasted a couple of weeks.
    If i was you, i would just lease again, BMW continues to put high residuals on leases so your payments will be low again, plus you will get free maintenance on the new car, i just leased a 54,000 convertable for under $500 per month
    I think now would be the best time to lease the convertable, especially if your are in the northeast
    Yeah... the residual for 36 months, 10K/yr, is 64% right now for a 2011 328i RWD sedan..

That's pretty strong..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ninjakuponinjakupo Member Posts: 1
    Just went to the dealership a couple days ago...total amateur at buying cars so I have no idea if I just made a fool of myself or not...here are the details of my lease:

MSRP $41,550
    DISCOUNT $5,000
    Financed amount $37,000

48 mth @2.50%
    20km/yr
    $0 down
    $2400 due on delivery (including security $550 and $515 first pymt)
    $515/mth lease pymts

Total lease cost would be $26k with a 43% residual $18k

Any comments would be greatly greatly appreciated!!!

I'm in Toronto, Ontario btw
  • stunyccpastunyccpa Member Posts: 48
    Details about your convertible lease? I'm in the northeast and seriously considering getting rid of the 3 series sedan I bought awhile back for a new 328i convert.
  • bluguysbluguys Member Posts: 19
    Did you find any good price on your purchase? Im also looking buy 328i Sedan with similar config...I from SoCal too.
  • bluguysbluguys Member Posts: 19
    i got an offer from my local dealer on 328i sedan with
    Crimson Red w/Black interior
    Aluminum trim
    Premium pkg
    Sports pkg
    Navigation system
    Xenon headlights

24 month lease at 15K miles per year $2,000.00 total out of pocket Monthly payments @ 547.00 + tax.

Is this price reasonable? Please let me know what you think.
    Dealer says I have to get the end of lease inspection done, and may potentially owe the cost of new tires (if it is found that the tires are worn out more than what's allowed) EVEN if I decide to buy out at the end of the lease ..... if I am going to own the car then this really does not make sense to me. I am free to change the tires when I want.
    Is this typical ?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    check what the dealer, NOT BMWFS will sell you the car for.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ultimateguyultimateguy Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Guys

I just got the quote from my local dealer this evening for 328i Sedan w/ Premium, Sports, Navigation,Conveience Packages,Navigation,Xenon @ $550 per month including taxes.

MSRP: $45,500
    $3000 out of pocket
    30months lease
    12K miles per year
    Navigation

Is it a good deal?
    If you buy the car out directly from BMWFS, then you will have no end-of-lease wear and tear charges...

If you negotiate a lower price from the dealer, then they have to buy the car from BMWFS, first... which basically means you turned it back in... and then those charges apply...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator