Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any questions for a Dodge Truck salesman??

Comments

• albertschmitzalbertschmitz Member Posts: 4
    The 4x4 gets lower fuel economy because of the tires, extra weight of the vehicle and the extra running gear. The transmission problems listed in this column are originated from Automatic Transmissions. The 5 speed should hold up very well for you.
    Yes the snow plow on the 1/2 ton will void it's warranty they are contemplating the snow plow package on the truck but have not released it yet.
    The transmission behind the 4.7 liter engine is the new jeep transmission. They have had great response from the new transmission and almost no problems in the Jeep with it. The new 5.2 liter (someone else said 5.7 liter) based on the 4.7 block design is for future production. The new 4.7 liter in the Dakota with the Automatic is impressive to say the least. It puts the 5.2 liter (old Magnum) to shame.

As for the order of the new Dakota. I have 3 customers waiting for their Dakotas and they are still now released for production even though we received 2 4x4's and one 4x2 Job 1 Dakotas.

andy jordan the basis for the new DODGE transmission is in the Jeep right now they are working on a way to put more torque through the tranny.
  • jbauerjbauer Member Posts: 39
    Tell the engineers to go back and re-create the torquflite transmission. They engineered it to withstand the torque of the 426 hemi's and the 440 wedges. Surely it can withstand the 4.7 and 5.9's. History SHOULD repeat itself in this situation.
  • drettewdrettew Member Posts: 1
    I ordered my 2000 Quad sport on August 9. It should arrive at the dealership on 9/16. I've noticed the pricing on cars@cost.com is discounting the full cost of the 5.9L upgrade. I paid $506.00 for this option. Does anyone know if this pricing information is accurate? If so, is there anyway I can take advantage of the discount? Please help!!

Thank you,
    Dean
  • gbforeegbforee Member Posts: 1
    A short time ago, I saw some information (and a photo) about a "limited production" 5.9L 4x4 Dakota Sport. Production numbers were not to exceed approx. 200 vehicles. Is there any truth to this delightful hope of even a larger power to weight ratio in one of Dodge's best 4x4 creations since the big-block Ram Charger of the 70's.
    Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw this promising information at, nor have I been able to find anything about it anywhere. Please let me know if you find anything about more new, or even used versions of this monster. Thanks.
    Gil Foree
  • kenfrowekenfrowe Member Posts: 1
    I placed my order for a 2000 Dakota 4x4 w/3.9 and manual tran on July 26. Still no word from the dealer on why the hold on production and estimated delivery. Anyone have an update?
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    My understanding is that there are three delays on 2000:

4.7l V8
    Manual tranny
    4x4

There is also a new color (amber fire or something like that) that is not available until October 1

I ordered mine (with all of the above, but in Patriot Blue) on July 31st and my truck is currently scheduled to leave the plant on September 21st, so delivery to me will probably be first week in October.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    Try www.wheels.com/fr_news.htm and select the latest month. There you will find some known delays. ..... Rich
  • ppoulinppoulin Member Posts: 7
    The automatic transmission for the 2000 Dakota w/ the 4.7L V8 is called a 'multispeed' transmission. What does this term refer to? How is this different from any other automatic transmission? Maybe it's just marketing hype.
  • additurpadditurp Member Posts: 9
    I didn't catch the drift on this trans thing. Does the 2000 Dakota have the Jeep trans or not?

I would like to buy the Sport, but don't want it to be in shop more than my garage.
  • ram4x4ram4x4 Member Posts: 24
    Trex or Kcram,
    I want to buy a 1500 QC 4x4 but I don't know if I want to buy a 2000 or wait until the 2001 so I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction.
    Are there any significant changes proposed for the 2001 models that you know of? What is usually the cut off date for a dealer to place an order for a 2001 and when do they start taking orders for the following year? And the last question...is there any advantage to ordering a truck at the earliest possible date as far as getting the lowest price possible (i.e. $100 over invoice or something similar) since the dealer won't have other models of the same year sitting on the lot yet? Thanks in advance.
  • andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    ppoulin (not the hockey player are you?), my understanding is that multi-speed refers to different gear ratios in one of the gears (I think it is 3rd, but don't quote me). This means that the transmission can react differently depending upon your driving habits, what the truck is doing etc.

additurp, the auto box for the 4.7 is indeed the one used in the Grand Cherokee.
  • tddtdd Member Posts: 2
    Bought 96 Ram 1500 4x4 slt laramie (new) wife liked it so much she bought a 97 Ram 1500 SLT laramie extended cab. At 48 k miles tranny goes out of hers. Truck always serviced at 3k miles at local dealer Chrysler Customer Service is called and told by dealer and us the truck does not get abused is serviced regularly at the dealer and so on. Customer Serv authorizes new tranny installed we could not be happier this is Feb tonight she comes in witha frown on her face she says she thinks tranny going out AGAIN. I ask her what its doing says it wont shift into overdrive man I hope its just the overdrive switch . Love the trucks hate the trannys!!!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    ppoulin,

The 45RFE transmission has a split second gear. It is a lower ratio when you upshift through the gears from 1st, and is a taller ratio when you downshift to it from 4th or 3rd.

ram4x4,

The Ram's full redesign i for the 2002 modely year (fall of 2001), so there is no real significance to waiting for a 2001 over a 200 - the Ram will basically be the same. The 2002 model is expected to take some (but not all) styling cues from the Power Wagon show truck, and will have the full line of the new OHC engines (3.7L V6, 4.7L V8, 5.7L V8, 6.1L V8, and possibly a 7.7L V10). They also promise a home-grown heavy-duty automatic to properly handle the Cummins with the redesign.

kcram
    Community Leader/Smart Shopper Conference
    Great...thanks for the info kcram. Looks like I may be buying sooner than my wife anticipated.
  • hornbreakerhornbreaker Member Posts: 7
    when are we going to see the numbers for the dakota quadcab? hornbreaker.
  • monte7fivemonte7five Member Posts: 2
    Can you confirm the existance of the Killer Bee Dakota with supercharged 5.9L and the Ram Supercharged 500?
  • greatzotgreatzot Member Posts: 11
    In a recent article in the Detroit free press they discussed the direct injected diesel at length. A GM version is due out next year, when can we look forward to driving the Cummins direct injected diesel?
  • daluebedaluebe Member Posts: 4
    For those who ordered the security alarm option
    on their trucks:

Is this alarm the same as the "EVS Security
    System" listed in the Mopar Accessories catalog?
    Specifically, does it come with all the features
    listed there - starter interrupt, valet, panic
    button, dashboard warning light, etc.?

I ordered a 1500 QC SLT with keyless, PDL, PW and
    the alarm etc etc. Am I getting the features listed in the catalog as EVS?
  • rzmiller1rzmiller1 Member Posts: 1
    Everytime I accelerate rapidly, my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Std Cab 318 V8 Longbed makes a clunking noise. Why does it do this?
  • blooneyblooney Member Posts: 1
    when will the full size (ram 2500) crew cabs be out (not quad or club)? Our local dealer just sold his crew cab dulley so I know the body style is being made. I heard the dakota will have a crew cab in jan 2000 and ram 2500's will have crew cab in jan 2001? is this about right?
  • easymoneeeasymonee Member Posts: 3
    Can someone tell me the requirements for the Farm Bureau credit. The Dodge site says there is a 500.00 rebate if you are a member.
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    Yeah, I have a question....Are we ever going to get any answers from the "Dodge Truck Salesman" or what?
  • jwm2jwm2 Member Posts: 43
    I don't know about the "Dodge Truck Salesman" But for your $500.00 rebate it's quite simple. Sign up at your Farm Bureau for $40.00 and tell them where and when you get your new Dodge and they will give you a check; when you take delivery. One requirement is that you have to be a member for at least 30 days.
    I just checked the web site for the California Farm Bureau and it looks as if they are only giving rebates for Fords. Maybe their site is just a little out dated...I'm gonna e-mail them and check but I'm not holding my breath.
  • wbh001wbh001 Member Posts: 3
    In Ohio, you join the farm bureau at least 30 days prior to purchasing a Dodge truck and the farm bureau will issue you a bonus certificate. This certificate entitles you to receive a cash allowance(from Dodge)upon purchase or lease of a new truck or van. The certificate is good on 1999 & 2000 models (Ram Pickup - All models and all engines, Ram Chassis Cab - All models and all engines, Dakota Pickup - All models excluding 4 cyl. engines, Ram Van - Cargo and conversion - All models and all engines, Ram Passenger Wagon - All models and all engines. I've got the certificate just waiting for my ordered Dakota to come in.
  • easymoneeeasymonee Member Posts: 3
    Brad

Can you tell me what you ordered. I am also looking at Dakota's, leaning towards a 6 cyl. 5 speed SLT ext cab. Don't need the v-8 although I hear it gets close to same mileage as the 6. I have seen too many negative posts on the auto, but still might go with it.
  • wbh001wbh001 Member Posts: 3
    Thomas

I've ordered a 2000 SLT+ Club Cab in patroit blue w/ 4.7L V8, 2wd, sure-grip rear end, auto trans & trailer tow group.
  • kbutcher1kbutcher1 Member Posts: 27
    The other day I took a close look at a Ram 2500 Quad Cab with the Cummins engine. The valve cover on the engine was black and silver instead to the red Dodge lettering on the 98-99 Cummins engines. It looked a lot better. Is this new for 2000 and have there been any other change to the engine? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Keith
  • pnewkirk1pnewkirk1 Member Posts: 1
    I've read that the Diesel engine will be upgraded again mid year 2000 model year. Is that information correct and if so what are the anticipated changes?

Thanks
    Pnewkirk1
  • kbutcher1kbutcher1 Member Posts: 27
    I know the new slogan is "Dodge... Different"

But what about our answerman????
  • lvstanglvstang Member Posts: 149
    He's working at the Ford dealer now.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    Let me get this straight. You had two very minor warranty repairs and one $400 repair that you paid for in 43,000 miles and you feel that this is a junker? The trans was not diagnosed and no idea if it required anthing more than routine band adjustment. $400 out of pocket in 43,000 miles: you are one tough critic.
  • franquetfranquet Member Posts: 1
    What's the invoice? If I special order this truck can I use the dealer holdback for leverage?
  • cmiles97cmiles97 Member Posts: 17
    In this day and age when you pay $25,000 or more for a vehicle, is it unreasonalble to expect NOT to pay ANY repair bills unitil you are finished making payments? Especially when you are maintaining the vehicle per manufacture specs.

What is the normal life expectancy of a water pump?

Oxygen sensor?

Steering knuckle?

Simple formula to vehicle manufacturers, make a vehicle that goes 100,000 miles or more WITHOUT any repairs (if the owner doesn't abuse it and adheres to the maintenance schedule) and you will own any market that you are in. By the way, why did Chrysler drop their 7yr/70,000 power train coverage? Did they know something we did not?

I would love to see ANY manufactuer put their money where there mouth is and warranty their vehicles for 5yr/70,000mile bumper to bumper.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    First of all there are some cars that have such warrantees but not trucks. If they were to offer such a warrantee you would pay for it by the added cost of the truck and then the added cost of what the manufacture will expect its losses on this warrantee will be. Nothing is free and certainly not quality or warrantees. A truck is heavy duty piece of equipment that is frequently abused by the consumer.This is NOT the type of vehicle that manufactures will extend warrantees on. If you feel that it is not good enough coverage then buy the extended plan from your dealer (insurance policy).

The manufacturer does not care if you pay your vehicle off in 3,4,or 5 years. In many cases they are never paid off, just transfer the debt to the next. The manufacture only needs to be competitive. They offer a package of quality, durability,size, capacity, performance, price, etc... They are not the same. They all try to entice you some aspect that they are superior at.

Bottom line is that the only repair that you had to pay for in 43,000 moles was a $400 water pump. No sympathy here. By the way I suspect that a 70,000 mile warrantee would add very substantial amout to the price. Something that most of us would rather not pay after already paying $25,000.
  • RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    I guess thats why we all buy different vehicles. My 97 Chevy pickup I am trading for a Dodge shortly has had several flat tires and one clogged fuel filter (48K). I have just passed 50K. Still on the original tires and wiper blades. I consider myself lucky. A vehicle is a complicated piece of equipment with many thousand of moving parts. I think its unreasonable to expect no failures. Even the Space Shuttle which is more thourghly tested than our trucks has problems. If our trucks were tested that thourghly we wouldn't be able to afford them. The manufacturers must balance what the public will pay with with what expence they can put into the vehicle and still make a profit. But never the less they do provide a warranty for most any duration you want. The 3 yr / 36 month you are paying for wether you believe it or not. No different than the optional warranty the dealer makes available. Apparently you though the 7 yr / 70K warranty was not worth the cost. That was your choice and the correct one in my opinion as you would have spent far more than $400 for it.
    I would have at least changed the transmission fluid or if you had, varified it had the correct fluid. (A major reason for Chryler transmission problems).
    But most likely you were looking for an excuse to trade.

Rich
  • madmackmadmack Member Posts: 39
    My truck should be arriving soon...i have a copy of the invoice as of today. two new cost appear:
    1. B45 Phoenix - PPA/EB-PF $210.00
    2. T45 Phoenix - DAA $260.00
    I live in Las Vegas....does anyone have any ideas what the heck they are?
  • markcordmarkcord Member Posts: 113
    cmiles97, back when you had a 7/70 from Chrysler, GM and Ford 6/60, these were powertrain only warranties. The bumper to bumper coverage was only 12 months/12K. Everybody went over to the 3/36 bumper to bumper around the same time I think.
  • silvrfoxmsilvrfoxm Member Posts: 2
    Itis a $30,000 piece of junk. I wouldn't recommend
    one to my worst enemy.Buyers beware. First & last time Chrysler product buyer.
  • silvrfoxmsilvrfoxm Member Posts: 2
    Itis a $30,000 piece of junk. I wouldn't recommend
    one to my worst enemy.Buyers beware. First & last time Chrysler product buyer. Only 22000 miles
  • ginetteginette Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 1996 Dodge Ram. It is a V10, 3/4 ton. I have not had any problems with it. It is a dream. I am however going to move up to a 1 ton since I need the bigger payload.

Just curious on what type of problems you are having with it.
  • cfabe1cfabe1 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2000 model 1500 4X4 and after 1800 miles I notices a slight pull to the right and I have to hold the wheel to the left. I took it into a Dodge dealership and to NTB and both places said the alignment was OK. However, I noticed one guy posted a notice about a pulling he was experiencing and they told him it was a faulty steering knuckle.

If anyone knows about this or can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks
  • voegelevoegele Member Posts: 1
    I've only made two payments on my new '99 1500, and am already wondering if I made the right decision. I've taken the truck back once already to get the whistling (left side front)fixed. This seems to correspond with a surging of the drive train. The mechanics said they could find nothing wrong with the truck. However, this morning it was bucking so badly that I spilled half of my coffee.
    Can you please look up Technical Service Bulletin 23-58-98 (whistling) and 18-49-98 (drive train surging) and let me know what to look for. I am still extremely wary of this trucks dependability, and Dodge will end up paying well over $700 to tow me off the top of the mountain if I do break down (we have never seen another vehicle up there other than ATV's...ever)
    Thanks, Bob
  • trex99trex99 Member Posts: 61
    To Mad mack, the 2 charges you see on your invoice are advertising, one is regional advertising and one isnational advertising, I live in the northwest and we have it too, in fact I belaive all manufacturers have it right in their invoice, it pays for all those TV, radio,magazine, and newspaper ads you see that say" visit your friendly Dodge dealer"

To the guy up there whining about his 43,000 mile Ram with a water pump problem, WHAAAAAAA!!!! Go buy a Ford and see how much goes wrong in the same miles then let us know what color you want your next Ram....sorry but that is kind of a rediculous complaint....

To Everyone, I don't know if anyone has posted this tidbit yet but I haven't been here for a while and thought I'd share, In Jan or Feb of 2000 the 2001 Model year will begin for the Ram's!!! this early start is due to the feds CAFE standards, they have so many vehicles classified as trucks (including the new PT cruiser) that they will not be in compliance with federal emissions standards, so by starting a new model year early they can in effect use a "loophole" in the system and be in compliance.
    Also due out then is the new ETH Cummins diesel engine, which is actually not new but a revised version of the current ETC engine that seems to be having hit and miss power problems.
    Lets see what else???
    Oh I have heard from another source that the steering pull problem is supposed to be solved by some sort of new steering system but I also believe this has only been changed on the 2500 and 3500 so far.

And finally to the guy wanting to use dealer holdback for leverage.....Do you do this crap at the supermarket????
    Dealer holdback for DC vehicles is for 90 days, in other words if you pick up the vehicle the day the dealer gets the invoice (which would almost be impossible because invoices usually show up before the vehicles)the dealer would get all of the hold back, BUT, if you pick it up 6 weeks after they get the invoice then half the holdback is gone and after 90 days its all gone, plus ordering a vehicle for 500 over invoice is a very fair deal, you think about it if you are ordering a Ram truck then that is what, 1-2 % over??? I agree that this is a bigger purchase than a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk but how much marhup do you think they have on those items??? 80%? 100%? and you'll buy those every day and never ask for a dime off.....go order your truck and pay 500 over, that is a fair deal, look it up here on Edmunds I think they actually say 5%??? (somebody can check if they waht to)I think thats alot more than 500 bucks, and you know what if you do this with your local dealer not only will you be getting a fair deal, you'll be supporting your local economy and helping the staff support their families to....I have people all the time who say " well I can go here or there for 50 bucks less" gimme a break!!! where do you live????

........................T REX.................
    I read your info on the early release of the 2001 models. Any info on yet on how much the price is increasing over the 2000's and will there be any changes in the options/packages? Also, what is the latest date we can put in an order for a 2000?

Thanks
  • rpowelrpowel Member Posts: 2
    I have heard that Dodge will put a new auto trans behind the Cummins after Jan 00. COuld this be true? Will it be an Allison? Will they finally increase the power of the Cummins to a respectable level, say 300 hp and 600 torque. That combo is in the school busses we buy. they work great!
    Any info would be appreciated.
  • joestapletonjoestapleton Member Posts: 15
    I have read with interest the debate on when are warranty repairs and " a 400.00 water pump at 43k" acceptable. They are NOT acceptable for a truck with that low of miles. Yes anything might need a warranty repair at one time or another as everything is mechanical but multiple repairs and a water pump OUT OF WARRANTY at 43k is an insult to our intelligence.(20 years ago this would have been OK) Don't be snowed by sales people. Dodge should have covered that water pump. Constant problems whether on warranty or not are NOT acceptable. I have driven Toyota's for the past 10 years so I am spoiled because of the quality and the way the manufacturer backs up their product. I plan to buy a Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel in the future to tow a large 5th wheel and I am concerned about their automatic transmission. Quality DOES matter and constant problems are NOT acceptable. No Dodge will not have an Allison Transmission for 2000 so I am hoping their product quality has improved before I buy. Joe
  • dhowsedhowse Member Posts: 1
    We have a '99 Dodge 1500 Reg Cab and have had some engine problems in the first year. At 12,000 miles we noticed a pinging/clanking sound coming from the engine (like bad gas). We have taken it to 3 dealerships and were told 1)that is the sound of a normal 3.9 engine, 2)slight engine sound, change brand of fuel?, 3)definite engine problem ran chemicals through the valves and run 2 tanks of premium gas through. We are now at 17,000 miles and the noise still exists. Have any of you experienced the same type of noise? If you heard it you would know that it is on acceleration and is prominent at 30-60mph.
This discussion has been closed.