Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW 3-Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mhegdemhegde Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have an offer to buy 2012 328i for $39,499. The MSRP is $44, 499 for this alpine white/coral red interior with tech+premium+sport package. Since it becomes almost an year old model in 2013, would like to know if the price is right.
    Sorry if it is a repeat question that someone already asked.

Thanks in advance
  • luckshotluckshot Member Posts: 2
    Can someone tell me if this is a good deal on a 328i 2013. It's Msrp is 39995. 39 month lease 4k out door includes first month payment and 347 per month 12 k miles per year.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    What's the final price of the car, what is the money factor? What options are on the car?
  • luckshotluckshot Member Posts: 2
    Final price is 36995 .0013 and .59 residual options are sunroof red color and the wood trim. Thanks
  • peterb4upeterb4u Member Posts: 6
    This seems like a great deal. I wanna get deal like that
    Which dealership was that?
    I live in NJ and there is 7% sales tax here so it might be little more here for me
  • vnguyen3vnguyen3 Member Posts: 2
    I was looking for 2012 model on 328i, I found a private seller who wanted $34,200, the car has 9,000 miles and it comes with premium and technology package. no cosmetic issue. Doing a price research on KBB, this car seem like a good price but when I compare it with Edmund TMV, the car should only be from $30-32K. Is this a good deal before I jump on this?
  • soapdish616soapdish616 Member Posts: 31
    I want to help people out who might be in the market for a 328i (2013) Sedan. Here are TWO deals that were offered to me yesterday (Chandler, Arizona).

2013 BMW 328i Sedan (12/20/12 build date)
    Alpine White / Venetian Beige Dakota Leather
    ZPP Premium Package
    494 Heated front seats
    4AB Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
    508 Park Distance Control
    609 Navigation system
    MSRP: $44,745 (including destination of $895)
    Offered @ Invoice: $41,745 + $300 = $42,045. Subtract Feb $1000 cash offer = $41,045

2013 BMW 328i Sedan
    White/Beige
    + Premium
    + Navigation (not Tech)
    MSRP: $43,545
    Sale Price: $40,950
    Rebate: -$1000
    Balance: $39,950 pls TTL & Doc fee

What I ended up doing was picking up a 2011 328i Sedan, CPO, only 12k miles, manager demo. Fully loaded @ MSRP of $44k, got it for $30k... AND BMW FS @ 0.9% for 48 months... the numbers and the car are just too perfect to pass up this one. I know it's not the new car but meets all my needs and I personally love the inline 6! :)
    A local dealer has 2012 demo cars of 328is for sale and they are priced at $37.5k. When their original MSRPs were ~$44k with options.

So the 2012 offer you have if for a new body sedan, is killer.
    You can get that deal on a 2013 basically... you might be getting $1k more. I would also ask the dealer the exact differences between 2012 and 2013. I think in 2013 they added folding rear seats which were extra? I could be wrong.
    Excellent deal on the 2011, BTW, who was your salesman at Chapman? When I buy I go through Jimmy or Brian (sales manager.)
  • ironman123ironman123 Member Posts: 5
    So there is a $1000 cash back offer good on the 2013 3-series in Feb?
  • newtoocanewtooca Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2013
    Hi all first time luxury car buyer...actually didn't had any car for last 5 year (living in nyc) .....

one dealer has given me quote for following car

2013 BMW 328i Sedan
    Jet black
    Premium Package
    BMW Assist
    MSRP: $42,000

37,500 + tax+ dmv

Is this a good price?

any help is appreciated...

Dealer is offering this
  • peterb4upeterb4u Member Posts: 6
    Is 37,500 out the door price?
  • newtoocanewtooca Member Posts: 10
    sorry no that + taxes which is 8% around orange county CA where i will buy and ia m moving there..
    It appears that BMW is aggressively moving their coupes and convertibles since the new 4 series is due out soon. I'm sure since BMW contacted you, you are in a good position to deal...
  • jwallsjwalls Member Posts: 30
    2013 328i Black Sapphire Metallic, cold weather package (ZCW), premium package (ZPP), BMW Assist (6NL).

MSRP 42,645...dealer offer $38,350
    36 month lease with .00130 LMF....we will put down $5000 which will leave a balance of $26,866 at the end of the lease.....Dealer said the residual value is 63%

Any information would be greatly appreciated...if you need more info hopefully I can provide it
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    That's a lot of money to put down on a lease. You should always try to get your down payment as close to $0 as possible since it is likely that you will never get that $ back should you suffer a total loss on the car (accident, theft).

Talk to your CA about doing MSDs instead--multiple security deposits. These are refundable at lease end and they bring down your money factor (interest rate).

Of course, all of this assumes you want the option of turning the car back in at lease end. If your payment strategy is aimed at eventually paying off and owning the car, then that kind of dp makes more sense.
  • jwallsjwalls Member Posts: 30
    The $5000 down is to get the payments to a level my girlfriend can afford. Half is from a trade in and the other half cash.
    Neither of us have leased so we are not familiar with the MSD's you are mentioning.
    I will do a little research on those...thanks
  • jerseyaljerseyal Member Posts: 5
    No, no, no, no, no. jwalls, shabadoo25 is correct. you should NEVER put that much money down on a lease. If the car is totaled, you will lose all that money, and you would be out of luck. MSDs are definitely the way to go. I would highly recommend that you see if you can modify the deal, where your car equity goes towards the fees/etc, and the cash that you put down, goes towards the multiple security deposits. They can issue you a credit for the difference between the fees and what your car is worth. Sure, your payments will be higher, but that sure beats losing all that money if your car gets totalled.

As long as you did not take delivery, you can change the deal, and if they refuse, just cancel the deal altogether.
  • rabadashrabadash Member Posts: 11
    I haven't purchased a BMW for close to 20 years, but I'm hoping to purchase a 335i this spring. Walked into a local dealer recently, and was told sales folks there are on salary and no longer negotiate. Is this true across dealers? If not, I'll just find another one.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    1. That's most certainly not true across all dealers.
    2. Even if a dealer did such a thing, that would not exclude negotiating because the salespeople aren't selling units for themselves, they are selling for the dealership management/owner, and it is those folks who need to move units. If they want to move a unit, they will negotiate.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I agree with Q.

One sure way to find out, ask them for their "non-negotiable" price. Once you have it, tell them you're just shopping around and plan to see if another BMW dealer is now part of the "non-negotiating" business plan.

See if they let you walk.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • murphy143murphy143 Member Posts: 2
    Here is what we were offered:
    MSRP: $49,795
    Sale price: $49,000
    Customer cash: $4,751.99 (includes adv payment, upfront charges of $3,161.51 and total cap reduction of $2,756.30
    Total rebates: $1,750
    (Since we are looking at leasing another BMW, they offered to take another $750 off, which is not included below)

36 months/15,000 miles

$584.18 a month

Options include:
    Cold weather
    Drivers assistance
    Lighting
    Walnut
    Navigation

Thoughts???

We would greatly appreciate your advice as this would be our first lease.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    You will definitely make the salesman's Christmas card list if you take that deal...

Go back through this discussion and you'll see that others have gotten $3k plus rebates off the MSRP. Wait until the first MLB pitch and the prices on xi models will drop further.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    I agree with Vinny.. $800 off?

I'm guessing if you see all the figures, they are marking up the money factor and the acquisition fee as well..

Might have an easy $2500-$3000 of total cost to take off that deal..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• seanh2oseanh2o Member Posts: 27
    First of all, thanks to all who have posted. The discussions were really helpful. I have been shopping around for 3 and found that most dealers are willing to offer at invoice in addition to cash back incentives (1k for financing with BMW and 750 for loyalty). However, what I am concerned is that the MF is 0.0013, which is over 3%. Comparing to others, it seems pretty high. Did BMW MF ever go close to 1%? I'd like to know if this is really the best time to lease one.

Thanks!
  • narjissenarjisse Member Posts: 2
    MSRP: $47095

So Your Purchase Price is: $44800 ?
    ($2300 off of MSRP is a good deal.)
    - $1000 USAA discount
    - $1000 finance incentive
    Total = $42800

weather mats = rubber mats from BMW for free?
  • narjissenarjisse Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    dealer offered you $4500 off of MSRP? I think this is a very goooood deal.
    I am in NY and looking to buy 328i xDrive, too. Can you tell me where you got this deal?
  • roadengineroadengine Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to buy 2013 328i xDrive in PA and below is the price I got from dealer.
    Wanted to check if its a good deal or I can negotiate further.
    This is first time I am buying a BMW.

MSRP: $43,445
    Sale price: $40,795
    Total Rebates: $1000.00

Base Monthly payment : 458.61
    Tax : 41.27
    Monthly Payment: 499.88
    term : 36 months

Residual Amount: $27370.35
    Money factor/rate: 0.00135
    Mileage Program : 10,000

Advance Paments: $499.88
    Upfront Charges: $550.93
    Total Cap Reduction: $1,149.19 (I didn't understand whats this. Can someone tell me whats this?)
    Due on Deliver : $1200

Car has heated front seats,navigation,moon roof, BMW Asst with USB

Thanks in advance!
  • insidecarbuyinsidecarbuy Member Posts: 95
    Some dealers configurer deals different ways. He should have just structured it first month and bank fee out of pocket and it would have come out to $1,143.04 plues DMV. With that being said on a car with that MSRP you should have a monthly payment of $418.04. Doesn't look like he is giving you such a great deal. See the details of what the deal should look like below... Good Luck!

CUSTOMER DISCLOSURE

Customer Name: Inside Car Buying, LLC
    Sale Vehicle: New 2013 BMW 3 SERIES 133* 4dr Sdn 328i xDrive w/AC , Automatic , Odom: 0

Payment Details
    Term 36
    Base Payment 383.52
    Total Payment 418.04
    Purchase Option 27,370.35
    MSRP 43,445.00
    Est. Miles Per Year 10,000
    Disposition Fee 250.00
    Excess Mileage Charge 0.20

Amount Due at Signing

1st Month Payment 418.04
    Acquisition Fee 725.00
    Total Inception Fees 1,143.04
    Rebate as Cap Reduction 1,000.00
    Total Drive Off 2,143.04

Total Cash Required on Delivery 1,143.04

Tax Information
    Customer State: Pennsylvania Customer County: ADAMS
    Type Amount Rate Paid
    Cashdown Tax 65.25 9.0000 Capped
    Monthly Tax 34.52 9.0000 Capped

Fee Information
    Description Amount Paid
    Temporary Plate Issue Fee 5.00 Capped
    Transfer Fee 6.00 Capped
    Encumbrence Fee 5.00 Capped
    Online Dealer Fee 14.15 Capped
    Online Reg Fee 16.85 Capped
    Thanks for the below. I tried to negotiate and dealer is not ready to come under $489. There is a big difference with what you have mentioned.
    Any dealers you suggest I should check with?
    Total Cap Reduction: $1,149.19 (I didn't understand whats this. Can someone tell me whats this?)

To be honest here if you do not understand leases DO NOT LEASE.... There are many articles on Edmunds in regards to leasing, what it is, and the lingo that goes with it.
    edited March 2013
    As flightnurse said, before going into any lease deal, start here....

http://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/quick-guide-to-leasing-a-new-car.html

In brief, cap cost reduction is a down payment on a lease.

And, to compare apples to apples, insidecarbuy is quoting over $1,000 more out of pocket than your dealer to get a lower monthly, too.

Not saying his deal is good or bad, nor if your dealer's is good or bad. Leases can get crazy. It's important to compare everything, from Cap Cost, to residuals, to money factor, to mileage restrictions, etc, etc.

Good luck!
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    yes, I believe so. My lease on my 2011 328 coupe is up in Sept and I had a message from the dealer the other night wanting to 'talk about my options'.

I haven't returned the call yet. Does anyone have a concrete date when the 4 series will hit the lots? I am not inclined to get another coupe that looks just like the one I have. Not sure if I want to pony up the extra $ to stay with the lovely I-6 and move to a 335. I'll take a look at the sedan but if I am going the turbo 4 route I will definitely cross shop the A4. A5 is out as the roof only pops up not slide back and silly as it may sound thats a big deal to me.

I'd consider a 'vert 3 or A5. Significantly more $ I know and to be honest I like the look of the A5 'vert better than the current 3 but thats probably just my eyes looking for something different in the garage. I've never been one to buy the same make back to back much less the same model so this will be interesting!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

The BMW 4 series is the successor to the E92 3 Series coupe, which is still on dealer's lots. From the pictures, it looks substantially different than the current 3 Coupe.

That said, the A5 is GORGEOUS, IMHO! Didn't know that about the sunroof, though. I thought it opened all the way. Sounds like the sunroof in the Caddy CTS Coupe, as it only tilts because of the roofline.

You really can't go wrong with either the BMW or the Audi. Drive both and decide.

BTW....if you get the opportunity, drive an Audi S4. I think it's the best car Audi currently produces.
    thanks GG. I think the 4 series is pretty sharp from the pics I have seen. Definitely a totally different vehicle from what I have now, which I have thoroughly enjoyed btw.

Agree on the A5. Styling is obviously subjective but I think that is one of the best looking cars on the road at any $ amount. If only that roof slid back it would be a no brainer!

S4 would be awesome. I would like to try to keep the next vehicle under 45k which I couldn't do with an S4 or a convertible BMW or Audi.

• bmulder1bmulder1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I am new to this forum and pretty inexperienced in leasing cars. I am interested in doing a European Delivery on a 328i lease, 36 mos/12k year. Base MSRP is $36,850 - total with options is $44,970. My understanding is that BMW will give 7% discount on the base MSRP, not the options and that destination handling fee is waived. I am willing to put $5k down. Sales tax in NJ is 7%. Does anyone know what my total monthly payments should be? I am getting some quotes that are all over the place..

Thx.
    BMW has some incredible deals right now on the coupe and convertible as they want to move them out before the 4 series arrive. A friend of mine in Atlanta just leased a 2013 335i convertible fully loaded there is 2350 cash back on them right now, and the MF is pretty low with a high residual, so this makes a perfect combo..

I love the A5, however for the price, I think the a 4 cyl isn't right engine..
    I am not a very experienced in leasing. But thanks to friends on this forum one thing I learnt is we shouldn't do any down payment in lease. Instead security deposit is an option in which your lease per month will come down and will get money back at end of lease.
  • fer1fer1 Member Posts: 11
    Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to lease a 328i (manual, metallic paint, HK & BMW assist); MSRP 39,820.
    Every dealer in So. Fl. is charging a "Dealer Fee" around $599-699 and the discount I'm getting is around 1200-1500 (rebates are on top of these ones).

They are very firm about Dealer Fees so I'm trying to increase the discount, what would be a reasonable value? (invoice seems to be 3k below MSRP)

And also if a negotiate a good deal, and we order the car (manual gear is a killer here), what happens if when they are ready for delivery conditions are better (residual, money factors or rebates), do they usually honor them?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Fernando
    au.....$45k would net a CTS coupe. I test drove one a year or so, ago. Pretty good car for the money if you like the style.

As FN pointed out, the BMW E92 coupe is still on dealer lots and BMW is cutting some sweet deals on the. IMHO, the E series is better than the new F series.

Good luck...let us know how it goes!
    Fernando.....make your offer "all inclusive".....taxes, fees, everything.

How the dealership divides the dollars shouldn't be a concern to you. If they want to pull some of your out of pocket for the "fees", that's up to them.

In short, make one offer, all in, and ask them to accept or reject it. If they reject it, go to another dealer. If they accept it, you just leased a car.

Might want to look at some of the Edmunds tools....

http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/
  • jasonmdbmwjasonmdbmw Member Posts: 117
    4 Series coupe goes into production in July and the convertible November
    Thanks. I may very well give the CTS a drive. I have plenty of time before my current lease expires.

Very interested in the 4 Series but like many others I'll have a doubt about the F series until I drive it.

au.....yeah, do drive the F series. You may have a different view than I do. Let us know how it goes.
  • newleaser1newleaser1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I'm a first time leaser with a time-sensitive question that I think is relevant to a lot of people on this board: Right now, is it worth it to get the 328 coupe or wait for the 4 series?

The 4 series coupe is supposed to come out in a few months, which makes me think about a few issues:
    1) Are there really good deals on the 328 coupe right now if dealerships want to get rid of them before the 4 comes out?
    2) Will I feel stupid for getting the 328 coupe right now if when the 4 comes out it has a great look (perhaps making the 328i look old) and at a great price

I'm a price sensitive leaser, so I am very curious what the pricing dynamics will be like between the 328 coupe and the 4.
    Is it worth waiting for the 4 to come out, or should I go for the 328 coupe right now? What is the best play here?

Thank you all so much for the help.
    I'd say it's a pretty good bet deals on the 4 series (F32) are going to be scarce for several months.

That said, up until a couple of weeks ago, I had an E92 coupe. I liked it, a lot. It was a 335i xDrive. And, it looked the same as the '13 coupes, with the same drivetrain and underpinnings. Just a great car that you can probably score a deal on.....certainly a better deal than a newly released 4 series will net you.

Drive one and see what you think. If you like it, don't worry about what's coming down the pike. There's always something allegedly better and shinier right around the corner. You'll make yourself crazy chasing it.
  • bmwillubmwillu Member Posts: 2
    Following offered by DC/Fairfax Area dealer.
    Base - 38,850
    Black Leatherette- 550 + RearCamera 400 + Moonroof 1050 + HeatedFront 500 + WoodTrim 500 + ParkDistControl 750 + Navigation 2150 + Destination 895
    Total MSRP 45,645
    Sale Price 42,949.85 [Costco/USAA price: Invoice + $500]
    +TTL 44,861.76

-$1000 Finance rebate
    -$750 Loyalty Rebate

Is this a good price? Please suggest. Any one getting Invoice or below invoice price.

Regd another $1500 USAA rebate:
    I see in prior threads saying anyone can get USAA membership and get this discount after that. Heard that it is applicable to USAA members who affiliated with military. Can anyone clarify on this?
    hi newleaser,

I have a 2011 328i coupe coming off lease in Sept. It is a great car and if it is your first BMW you will be very happy with it. As you will see from other posts here there are some agressive lease deals on 3 series coupes and convertibles out there as dealers want them off the lot before the fall and the 4 series rolls in.

As you have seen from the pics floating around the 4 series looks totally different from the current 3 coupe so you do run the risk of having a 'new' car that immediately looks 'dated'.

I expect the 4 series to be in high demand so don't expect agressive lease rates right out of the gate.

I'm somewhat in the same boat as I'd love a 4 to replace my 3 but am prepared to shop other makes and move to a sedan if necessary.

• vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    You must have some relationship to the military to be a USAA member. If anyone in your immediate family has served in the military, you might be eligible. USAA is doing all it can to expand membership, so they are really bending the rules (it used to be restricted to military officers and their families, but they're constantly widening the pool).

Before you jump through all the hoops to join USAA, make sure that the USAA rebate is available with other discounts you'll be seeking. For instance, Loyalty rebate may not be compatible with USAA rebate (I don't know this to be true but have run into this problem before).